The "let's erase the last 6 months from our minds" Australian Swing Thread [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

The "let's erase the last 6 months from our minds" Australian Swing Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

tangerine_dream
01-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Great fightback from Andy to come back from two sets down. :yeah: Sadly, I think his knee will prevent him from going any further. :awww:

He was very muted last night. Funny to see him mumbling to himself constantly but he held his tongue and didn't lash out at the chair umpire. Maybe that ESPN video about his temper was in the back of his head. :lol: I like the ornery Andy myself. :p

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 08:00 PM
He lashed out at the ump when there were people in the crowd screaming or whatever. He didn't cuss him out but he had a couple smartass conversations with him.

Johnny Groove
01-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Tangy do you think he will beat Cilic?

tangerine_dream
01-24-2010, 08:03 PM
He lashed out at the ump when there were people in the crowd screaming or whatever. He didn't cuss him out but he had a couple smartass conversations with him.
Okay I must've missed that part, good to see his orneriness wasn't completely under cover. ;)

Tangy do you think he will beat Cilic?
No.

Johnny Groove
01-24-2010, 08:04 PM
No.

Why not?

tangerine_dream
01-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Why not?
Because his knee is likely busted, because he's playing too passively, because he doesn't play well against big hitters like Cilic, le'ts not forget that he can't even play tennis to begin with, and most of all, he's going bald. Samson losing his hair=bad news. :bigcry:

Johnny Groove
01-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Because his knee is likely busted, because he's playing too passively, because he doesn't play well against big hitters like Cilic, le'ts not forget that he can't even play tennis to begin with, and most of all, he's going bald. Samson losing his hair=bad news. :bigcry:

All valid reasons :lol:

But I think Roddick can fight his way through this match, albeit in 4 or 5 sets. The problem is how badly he's going to get beat in the SF :help:

A match vs. Nadal isn't the best recipe for his knee and especially not for his hair loss. :lol:

I think he should tank vs. Cilic and rest up.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 08:25 PM
I think he should tank vs. Cilic and rest up.Dude, can you actually picture andy tanking in a grand slam quarterfinal?:haha: He even tries hard til the end at the french open :lol:

Johnny Groove
01-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Dude, can you actually picture andy tanking in a grand slam quarterfinal?:haha: He even tries hard til the end at the french open :lol:

I know :lol: :crazy:

He's gonna give it his all, but if Cilic steps up and wins it, I wouldn't object.

What if he wins? :eek:

Fee
01-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Dude, can you actually picture andy tanking in a grand slam quarterfinal?:haha: He even tries hard til the end at the french open :lol:

In the first round!

He won't need to tank against "Marion" (BG, wotaneejit), he won't have anything left in the tank methinks. And if he hits those pansy forehands into the service box it will be a quick match anyway (Andy, how can you take that much pace from Gonzo and still hit something so soft back?). I trust that he will leave whatever he's got left on the court, but Marin seems to be doing what so many believed he was capable of a year or two ago and I don't think Andy is in the position to stop him right now. I would love to be wrong, but I think the QF match will be his last one here this year.

Heather1229
01-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Tons of positivity going on here today! Is his knee messed up? Who knows, he might have tweaked it but had it been THAT bad, he would have called the trainer at some point and he didn't. I know Andy's all about leaving it all out there but I do not think he would jeopardize his health (given everything that happened at the end of last year) by playing on and not calling for the trainer at any point during this 5 set match. I think he may have felt something at the time and he may pull up sore but I do doubt it is going to be bad enough to hamper him from his next match. With that said, the passive play needs to go for sure, if he's going to continue on he needs to be more aggressive for certain. I'm glad he pulled off the win, glad that he was able to mentally tough it out and I can only hope that continues.

Jade Fox
01-24-2010, 10:16 PM
The day Andrew Stephen Roddick tanks a match is the day I quit being a Perv.

So he better not tank cause I like being a Perv. :mad:

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Tons of positivity going on here today! Is his knee messed up? Who knows, he might have tweaked it but had it been THAT bad, he would have called the trainer at some point and he didn't. I know Andy's all about leaving it all out there but I do not think he would jeopardize his health (given everything that happened at the end of last year) by playing on and not calling for the trainer at any point during this 5 set match. I think he may have felt something at the time and he may pull up sore but I do doubt it is going to be bad enough to hamper him from his next match. With that said, the passive play needs to go for sure, if he's going to continue on he needs to be more aggressive for certain. I'm glad he pulled off the win, glad that he was able to mentally tough it out and I can only hope that continues.He grimaced a couple of times, once in the third set and once in the fifth. I'd like to take his word for it that it's not a big deal, but who knows how it felt this morning. The whole injury last fall didn't sound like a big deal but then it kept him out more and more and was still a talking point this year, so the original injury must've been worse than originally thought or than they let on. Anyway, I'm not concerned about his physical fitness in terms of being able to last stamina-wise, because he's fit and Cilic could have the same issue, but hopefully the knee turns out to be OK.

We've been waiting since 2005 for the passive play to go away, I am giving up :(

Golfnduck
01-24-2010, 10:45 PM
I would like him to start ripping some shots aka 2003-2004, it's seems like he's going to do it sometimes, then backs off. He should take chances every once in awhile.

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 10:56 PM
What's frustrating is that "aggressive" for him/his camp these days seems to mean coming to net. And that's turning into coming to net on really bad approach shots. Aggressive can also mean being aggressive off the ground, which he rarely is anymore.

tangerine_dream
01-24-2010, 11:08 PM
You should all know by now that Andy will bust out his power game when he needs to against certain players. He's not going to play out of his mind vs guys like Lopez because the name of the game now is to not expend any more energy than you need to. Federer has been doing the same thing for a while now, he's older and will be on cruise-control in the early rounds as long as he knows he can get away with it. It sucks for fans who know they can play better but ultimately it's best for their bodies, and it's why they've lasted as long as they have, whereas a player like Nadal goes all-out, no matter the player or the score and we see what's happening with him now because of it.

And now for your entertainment here's silly Andy. :p

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04Yo3FiaHTdFC/610x.jpg

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 11:13 PM
You should all know by now that Andy will bust out his power game when he needs to against certain players. He's not going to play out of his mind vs guys like Lopez because the name of the game now is to not expend any more energy than you need to. Federer has been doing the same thing for a while now, he's older and will be on cruise-control in the early rounds as long as he knows he can get away with it. It sucks for fans who know they can play better but ultimately it's best for their bodies, and it's why they've lasted as long as they have, whereas a player like Nadal goes all-out, no matter the player or the score and we see what's happening with him now because of it.
Sorry, I can't agree. how is grinding for three and a half hours against Lopez in the third round good for his body? It's not about going "all-out," because I believe Andy always does that as well (just not as loudly as Rafa), but the style he has resorted to playing is unequivocally harder on his body than being aggressive from the baseline. I don't see any possible way that going for some winners sometimes would not be better for his body in the long run because he has to do so much less running that way.

tangerine_dream
01-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Sorry, I can't agree. how is grinding for three and a half hours against Lopez in the third round good for his body?
Well, it's not :lol: but nobody was expecting Lopez to play the best he's ever played against Andy, and he still couldn't touch him.

I hope Brooklyn shows up the next match, Andy has been looking a bit flat and playing kind of nervous all week.

Golfnduck
01-24-2010, 11:20 PM
I hope Brooklyn shows up the next match, Andy has been looking a bit flat and playing kind of nervous all week.

Hopefully she will show up, Andy needs a boost!!!

Deboogle!.
01-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Sure, but once you see Lopez is playing well, why not start going for some big forehands or BHs dtl a bit more? And he knew exactly what gonzo was going to do, so why not try to take away his game a bit? Maybe it was the best Gonzo has played against him but we've seen andy beat him playing a lot more aggressively and the scorelines were much much easier. It's always an execution thing with Andy, we know he's smart enough to know what he has to do and he just doesn't do it for some reason. it's nothing new :(

Brooklyn tweeted earlier today, didn't make it sound like she was planning to head back :scratch:

Fee
01-25-2010, 12:02 AM
The best thing for Andy's body is ending points on two strokes like he used to do (first serve, fh ripper). The main reason he has to work so hard to construct points now is because his forehand is not the deep, killer weapon it used to be. The parts of the Gonzo match I did see were a bit frustrating, watching his forehand land in the service box or just a few inches beyond it most of the time. That match should not have gone five sets, even as well as Gonzo was playing.

tangerine_dream
01-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Andy's overheads last night don't look nearly as bad as the ones Davydenko and Verdasco have bricked today. :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-25-2010, 04:53 AM
Yeah, seriously :haha: at least his was high and took a strange bounce

Deboogle!.
01-25-2010, 05:02 AM
Andy seems a bit perturbed in this press conference :lol:
====================================
An interview with:

ANDY RODDICK

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. All about the fight, not necessarily about the form.

ANDY RODDICK: Well, the form wasn't bad. There's not a whole lot you can do when you feel like you're hitting the ball well and the guy is cold-cocking winners. If you look at the stats, winners to errors, of the sets I lost, I think the third set he hit 23 winners. It takes 24 points to win a set.

I was definitely up against it. Yeah, sometimes you get out of it.

Q. Did you get more aggressive from the ground in the fourth set?

ANDY RODDICK: Not really. You take what you can get there. I may have gotten a little bit more aggressive with my returns, but that's one of the only shots that I was in control of putting some juice on. You know, the conditions didn't help me much either. It was slow. I was having trouble finding his backhand, even though I felt like I was hitting it cross‑court okay.

Q. Did you feel down and out in the second and third set when things were going against you and he was making all those winners?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, you're down. There's no doubt. Down two sets to one. You're not out until it's over.

It's pretty simple at that point. He's playing great. Let's see if you can make him play great till the end. You know, he almost did. You know, I was just looking for a little bit of an opening. I got some momentum on my side and was able to turn it.

Q. All the previous victories you had over him matter at the end of the fourth set because it seemed like he was getting close, but you sort of knew inside you could out‑tough him a little bit.

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know how much other meetings had to do with tonight. Uhm, you know, I didn't think about that. I was kind of just thinking about what we were dealing with.

But, you know, the potential's always there to try to tough someone out as long as you're out there. I certainly wasn't going to out‑hit him for the majority of the match. If he's hitting like that and I'm hitting it like I do, he's going to hit it better from the baseline. That's just the facts of the situation. I have to rely on my serve, try to get back in it. Like you said, just try to tough it out.

Q. Did you feel that broke him a little bit, to have 40‑Love game and lose the set?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I know he was pretty upset about the challenge and that rule no one seems to know about. I still don't know what the rule is, you know. I can certainly sympathize with his frustrations, you know.

Q. So you expected the point to be replayed?

ANDY RODDICK: No. As soon as it was unchallenged, I was talking to the umpire to ask what the deal was. So I talked to him. He said it was my point if the replay showed it was in. So I guess I knew. I was talking more while the challenge was going on.

Q. He seemed to self-destruct after that. Do you think he deserved a replay? He was saying he could have had a swing at that.

ANDY RODDICK: To be honest, he had a better idea. I was on the far side of the court, away. I don't know. I really don't know. I haven't seen a video replay of it. I'm sure you guys have.

So, you know, write your story. I haven't seen it. I don't know. I honestly don't know.

Q. Two guys 9‑0 clashing in the next round. Talk about that matchup.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, he's just a tough player. You know, he's one of those guys, 6'6", 6'7", just kills the ball from the baseline, you know. He likes to play inside of the court. He's relentless. He goes after the ball every point.

You know, that probably won him his match today.

Q. You haven't played him for a couple years.

ANDY RODDICK: I don't think we can put much stock into it. I remember I played him at Queen's a long time ago, he played pretty badly. Then I played him in Canada, and I played pretty badly. I don't think we can put much stock into our previous meetings.

Q. Did you twist your knee or ankle in the second set?

ANDY RODDICK: No, no twisting.

Q. There were some comments on TV, guys didn't feel like you were hitting out enough on the forehands. Was that mostly conditions? Do you feel you should be giving it a ride a little bit more? :bigclap:

ANDY RODDICK: That's a very simple point in concept. It's a lot tougher when the guy is taking haymakers at you all day and you're basically trying to stay in a point. Theories are real good. It's tougher to execute it when you're dealing with the elements.

Yes, I was having trouble getting anything on the ball tonight. I don't know what the temperature was. It was cold. The ball certainly wasn't going through the court. I wasn't able to drive the ball the way that I wanted to.

So, you know, sorry.:o

Q. A bit too chilly for your liking?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, in this matchup, yeah. He's gonna do better on a slow court where he can wind up and hit the ball. My opinion for tonight is completely matchup‑based. It probably wasn't favorable to me.

Q. What did you think of the fans tonight? He had a lot of support.

ANDY RODDICK: He always has a lot of support. The Chileans are some of the most loyal fans around the world. I don't remember seeing a match of his where he didn't have throngs of supporters.

DartMarcus
01-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Andy has got experience, patience and williness to beat Cilic! I assume the match will be similar to the match vs Gonzalez. Cilic will make much more winners, but also more UE. His serve will be difficult to handle as well. Andy needs to improve his play on BP and take all his chances.

tangerine_dream
01-25-2010, 08:29 PM
;)

f_LJPjXjKCU

*edit*

USTA buys ad in Sunday NYT to salute Andy and James. :cool:

Angle Queen
01-25-2010, 10:22 PM
We've been waiting since 2005 for the passive play to go away, I am giving up :(:sad:

Here's what I thought was a decent "column" on the New Andy vs. Old Andy routine (that definitely wasn't of the hater sort).

New/Old Andy (http://tennis.fanhouse.com/2010/01/24/new-roddick-shows-courage-in-battling-back/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002)

I'll be rootin' for him tonight!!!

Go Andy!
Go Andy!
Go Andy!

And there's no way he'll TANK a match. Ain't in him.

OnyxRose
01-26-2010, 12:14 AM
I'll be watching the match all the way because if he wins, great. If not...oh well.

Heather1229
01-26-2010, 12:33 AM
so this match should be on around 11:30 EST?

Deboogle!.
01-26-2010, 02:02 AM
Yep that sounds about right, Heather... depending on how long this next women's match takes.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2010, 02:08 AM
they just said andy didn't hit on the grounds yesterday and that there's "some concern about his knee"

sigh :(

tsurupettan
01-26-2010, 03:00 AM
oh, man...

DragonFly
01-26-2010, 03:48 AM
Can't believe how little confidence you have Deb in Roddick to beat Cilic. Fair enough if it's because of the injury but if Andy is ok then I don't see him having any problems today.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2010, 03:50 AM
Yes, his knee is why I have so much doubt... if that wasn't an issue i'd call it about 50-50

DragonFly
01-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Fair enough. I'd call it closer to 75-25 if he plays and serves like he did versus Gonzo. Bar some of the kamikaze runs to the net.

Just hope the knee holds up.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2010, 03:56 AM
yep hopefully. He needs to not play so passively, Cilic will step in and hit a lot of winners. And he's a lot less likely to go :cuckoo: than Gonzo...

snaillyyy
01-26-2010, 08:05 AM
A win would have been nice yes, but I can't be anything but proud of him for keeping going the way he did, an absolute fighter! I just hope that it isn't too serious, and keeps him out for long :(

tsurupettan
01-26-2010, 08:11 AM
as always, andy fights, though i was really wanting to hit him since he was playing obviously through the pain of his shoulder. but it was nice to see him play so aggressive. we all knew he had it in him, if only that side of him would come out more often and stay around for longer period of times (and when he's actually healthy).

and i can't believe i'm putting myself through looking at gm and seeing a couple people calling andy a faker with his shoulder injury. i hope they aren't actually serious. :rolleyes: :tape:

blosson
01-26-2010, 08:38 AM
yep hopefully. He needs to not play so passively, Cilic will step in and hit a lot of winners. And he's a lot less likely to go :cuckoo: than Gonzo...

Maybe his game plan was to rely on the opponents "inexperience". He does that a lot. It's a shame as I had a dream where he was playing the final against Roger and lost & was giving another funny speech :sobbing:

Fee
01-26-2010, 08:53 AM
as always, andy fights, though i was really wanting to hit him since he was playing obviously through the pain of his shoulder. but it was nice to see him play so aggressive. we all knew he had it in him, if only that side of him would come out more often and stay around for longer period of times (and when he's actually healthy).

and i can't believe i'm putting myself through looking at gm and seeing a couple people calling andy a faker with his shoulder injury. i hope they aren't actually serious. :rolleyes: :tape:

That's not people, that's just 'Pea'. He/she/it is best ignored.

tsurupettan
01-26-2010, 09:01 AM
:lol: true enough.

arodfanpe666o
01-26-2010, 09:16 AM
That's why I love this guy. Whenever he loses, he does it with all guns blazing!
Can't wait to see if it is serious. Really hope it's not. Glad to see that at least the knee is ok.
I really think that Andy without these injuries would have won more big titles.

arodfanpe666o
01-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Here it is :)

An interview with:

ANDY RODDICK

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Down two sets, was it a matter of playing catch‑up tennis that proved too much for you?

ANDY RODDICK: No, because I caught up. I did catch him, then he went ahead again. No, I caught him.

Yeah, I mean, I guess it's always a case of playing catch‑up tennis when you're down two sets, right?

Q. What was the story in the fifth? Talk about the shoulder or arm or whatever was bothering you.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, the arm was ‑‑ I don't know what happened. I felt it a little bit the other night, the cold weather, trying to hit through those for a little while. I didn't hit yesterday. Felt pretty good today in warmup, the first couple games, then I think I aggravated something.

The trainer said it was stemming from the neck down. By the end of the first set, I was pretty numb in the bottom two fingers. I could still hit it pretty hard; I was just having trouble controlling it, you know. I didn't really have full deal.

So that was unfortunate. I started kind of almost going sidearm for a little bit, or at least what it felt like. That was working for a while, I think until he realized I was having trouble kind of pronating out that way.

On the flipside, I hit the ball about as well as I could, you know, throughout the whole match. You know, I felt like in the fifth, I was always going to need, you know, a break or two with the way I was kind of chunking my serve around.

I think the difference was in the third and fourth set. He was under 50%. I was getting a look at a lot of second serves and I was able to take big swings at them and try to finish points. I didn't see the stats, but he had to be up there pretty far in the fifth as far as making serves. He hit some aces. With the way I was serving, he was going to get looks at my serve.

Q. You fought hard and clawed your way back into it. You had Love‑40 in the first game of the fifth. Did that kind of suck the wind out of you a little bit?

ANDY RODDICK: No. I mean, I had one really good look at a return, a forehand. Kind of pulled up on it. I was sitting on it. I think I got a little overexcited, was actually out in front of it. You know, he hit a good off‑forehand, which is the one you want to make him hit. It's his least favorite. He hit it well.

If anything, I don't know that it affected me that much. I still hit the ball pretty well in the fifth. I think maybe he calmed down a little bit after he was able to get out of that hole.

Q. Ever played in a match with so many twists and turns?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I'm sure I have. I can't remember right now. You know, that's the way it is sometimes.

Q. Were you forced to flatten the ball out more off the ground on the forehand? Was it hurting your hand hitting topspin?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. Yeah, I was having trouble when it was up a little bit, kind of when I had to kind of hit it and pull back.

But, you know, I was playing pretty high‑risk and the ball was dropping in for a couple of sets. Like I said, I even think I hit it pretty decent in the fifth. The two balls, the two forehands, that I missed to get broken were after I hit five or six balls pretty firm before that.

It ended up, you know, working out for me okay from the baseline. I was just having to break too many times.

Q. Did you feel after the second set you might not play the third?

ANDY RODDICK: No. I asked Paul Ness, the trainer ‑ obviously anytime there's something with an arm, a shoulder, numbness with your fingers, I'm going to be a little bit concerned. My arm is pretty much my livelihood. I asked him if there was any risk involved with going further. He said he didn't think so. So from that point it was just a matter of just go.

Q. What are your impressions of him as a young player coming through?

ANDY RODDICK: He keeps it together real well. Unlike a lot of the young guys who are very emotionally up and down, he doesn't beat on his chest, he stays the course, he's very deliberate, he hits the ball very well. Doesn't give an inch on the baseline. He literally sets up shop right behind the baseline and isn't going to be moved.

That's something to be dealt with when you're out there.

Q. Disappointment or do you just say to yourself you hurt the arm, just leave this one behind?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't think it has to be either/or. You know, from the end of the first set, I mean, I honestly was ‑‑ he came out and I was having trouble feeling to the touch. You know, at that point I didn't know how much I was going to be ‑‑ once he said there was no risk, I knew I wasn't going to stop, but I didn't know what I was going to be able to come up with.

To be able to push it and have a shot, uhm, I thought it was a pretty good effort.

Q. Did they explain to you in medical terms what it is? Is it a muscle? Tendon?

ANDY RODDICK: They said something like a nerve on a T1. Does that make any sense to you?

Q. No.

ANDY RODDICK: Didn't make any sense to me either (smiling).

Something I guess that was resonating from the neck on down.

Q. You'll get further attention?

ANDY RODDICK: For what?

Q. Further examination.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. All signs at this point are good. Sounds like something, you know, whether it was a nerve that was compressed or something, I don't know, cutting off something. But they don't think it's going to be anything too serious long‑term.

I'm sure we'll take the proper precautions and check it out. But at this point I'm not real, real scared about it.

Q. Cilic has played two five‑setters in a row, three in the tournament. How much of a factor do you think that will be for him in the next round, two five‑setters?

ANDY RODDICK: It will be a factor. Guessing how much, I'm not sure. The good thing for him is that he doesn't ‑‑ because he stands so close to the baseline and kind of directs traffic, there's not a whole ‑‑ he rarely gets outside the sidelines. Similar to what Andre used to do as far as minimizing his movement because he's controlling the points. Similar to how Del Potro plays a lot. So that's good for him. I don't think he's going to be able to ‑‑ he doesn't really spread the court too much.

That being said, five‑setters are five‑setters. I'm sure he'll be a little tired. He'll probably be cheering for those guys to go long tonight.

Q. In terms of the young players you've seen coming through this game, his ability to get through the fifth sets, be unflappable, resilient, where would you put him in the group of young players you've seen in the game?

ANDY RODDICK: Oh, I don't know. He's definitely composed. I mean, I don't know where to rank people 'cause, you know...

I mean, he was the same after he lost two sets as when he won two sets. I think that will definitely serve him well over the course of his career. I feel like, you know, there's a lot to like about him. He just goes about his business, does it the right way, and seems like a very hard worker. You know, like you said, he doesn't give you any encouragement, like the feeling you're on top of him, even though I probably was for a little while.

Kate87
01-26-2010, 10:46 AM
so he ripped the flat fhs b/c using topspin hurt him... :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: (in this case i kinda wish... :tape: )

i'm proud of him after today's match, he's a real warrior :hug: it's a shame he didn't win but after two 5-setters and with this injury (plus maybe the knee) he probably would've been beaten in the sf anyway :hug: get well soon and put your body together again :hug:

Caren
01-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Awww Andy :(, but plus side making the quarterfinals after an injury is good enough for me.

Hope the arm/shoulder doesn't turn out to be worse than he seems to think it is.

Winston's Human
01-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Proud of Andy playing this match like an adult professional!!!!

arodfanpe666o
01-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Hope that shoulder problem won't be too complicated. He had similar problem in May 2008, and it was said that it is not serious, but ruined the rest of the year...

MissFairy
01-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Proud of Andy playing this match like an adult professional!!!!
My thoughts exactly (:

I'm kinda relieved that he had an injury and that it was for that reason that he was maybe not letting rip in the first set. The passive play nearly put me to sleep. When he shortened the points a bit, it worked. There was a moment when i thought he was going to play a fabulous lob...but he didn't. Probably would've missed :p

It's a shame, but Cilic played really well.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2010, 01:33 PM
oh Andy please please please don't fuck around with a pinched nerve but the good thing is that it could go away pretty fast if he takes care of it, which I'm sure he will. Wouldve paid a journo to ask why he doesn't play like that all the time

andymo
01-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Even with the pain in his shoulder and the knee, he managed to play 5 sets. At least, he was in the 1/4 finals. Even if he had won, I do not think he would have been 100% in the semis. I am proud of him and hope he gets well soon.

Jade Fox
01-26-2010, 07:40 PM
:awww:

Can't the tennis gods give the man a break for once? I hate you tennis gods! :ras:

andymo
01-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Hope that shoulder problem won't be too complicated. He had similar problem in May 2008, and it was said that it is not serious, but ruined the rest of the year...

It is not really a shoulder injury. It was in his neck and it reverberated in his shoulder, arm and hand. He had tingling in his fingers. It is like a pinch nerve in his neck so I am not overly worried because with treatment, it will go away, well, I hope.

tangerine_dream
01-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Bodo says Nadal should stop talking about his injuries, it gives his opponents an edge and the constant attention to his knees sucks his energy. I'm inclinded to agree. And the more I think about it, the more Andy's preparation for Cilic and not talking about his knee status was a sly move, especially when he didn't show up to practice. Cilic, like the rest of us, was left guessing whether Andy's knee would hold up or not. Then when the shoulder got injured Cilic was left wondering whether Andy would retire or not, and then later he couldn't figure out why Andy suddenly started playing better. Andy had Cilic confuzzled, what a shame Andy let Marin off the hook in the fifth set. :(

Nadal should have downplayed injury in loss
Keeping opponents guessing is preferable to highlighting struggles

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35083160/ns/sports-tennis/

On the men's side, I was disappointed for Andy Roddick, who lost to Marin Cilic. It's funny, I understand why so many people still are left cold by Roddick. He's a huge star, from a rich nation where that status yields enormous rewards. He's won only one major, yet he has a way of attracting attention. He walks with a swagger, enjoys life, has a wide irreverent streak, says what he thinks, and he does nothing to cull anyone's favor. But he gets beat up and knocked out, time and again, only to jump up off the mat, jaw thrust forward, inviting the next Nadal, Federer, del Potro, Murray or, now, Cilic, to take his best shot.

Roddick may not deliver the best shot in tennis, but he sure takes a "best shot" better than anyone, and that's curiously at odds with his persona. I'd like to see him join Justine as a Wimbledon winner. One lousy stinkin' Wimbledon title. It would go a long way -- all the way -- toward making it all have been worth it. Not that it wasn't, as is, but. . . you know what I mean.