In the Spotlight: Prima Donna [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

In the Spotlight: Prima Donna

ad-out
12-22-2009, 10:42 PM
This should be interesting! ;)

1. How old are you?
2. How do you feel about women in the business world - and does your wife have a career (outside the home) or does she stay at home with your child(ren)?
3. Are you religious? If so with what church do you affiliate?
4. How long did you live in Italy?
5. Do you play tennis?
6. Who are your favorite tennis players?
7. How do you feel about gay marriage?
8. You have said that you like clothes/shoes. Who are your favorite designers?
9. Do you watch television outside of news programs?
10. In your opinion what's the best restaurant in NYC?

prima donna
12-22-2009, 11:11 PM
This should be interesting! ;)

1. How old are you?
2. How do you feel about women in the business world - and does your wife have a career (outside the home) or does she stay at home with your child(ren)?
3. Are you religious? If so with what church do you affiliate?
4. How long did you live in Italy?
5. Do you play tennis?
6. Who are your favorite tennis players?
7. How do you feel about gay marriage?
8. You have said that you like clothes/shoes. Who are your favorite designers?
9. Do you watch television outside of news programs?
10. In your opinion what's the best restaurant in NYC?

1. 31 years of age;
2. I'm generally supportive of any productive addition to the business world, irrespective of gender or race. My wife is now a retired professor, so the bulk of her time is devoted to our daughter;
3. Somewhat - New Synagogue of Palm Beach;
4. I lived in Milan until the age of 12 years, although I often visit;
5. Yes, although not quite as much as I once did;
6. Anastasia Myskina, Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario, Stich, Noah, Edberg, Federer, Davydenko
7. I consider it an abomination, but view civil unions as a viable alternative;
8. Favorite Designer: Miuccia Prada (for shoes); Gucci and Christian Dior for other articles of clothing;
9. Seldom -- Seinfeld and The Golden Girls are my favorites;
10. Cru, Le Rivage

~*BGT*~
12-22-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm not yet ready to grow up. Should I go to grad school?

prima donna
12-23-2009, 12:07 AM
To study what ?

Dini
12-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Five people dead or alive you'd like to meet and have dinner with? Why would they be your picks?

What are your hopes for next year?

octatennis
12-23-2009, 12:17 AM
well, there haven't been any comunication or dialogue bewtween us but i would like to ask some things.

1. what's your proffesion?
2. in wich university or academy did you study?
3. what do you want to show with you avatar's picture?
4. why the nick name?
5. any favourite character besides A.Smith?
6. what would be your proposal to remove poverty in societies?

:wavey:

prima donna
12-23-2009, 12:24 AM
1. what's your proffesion?
2. in wich university or academy did you study?
3. what do you want to show with you avatar's picture?
4. why the nick name?
5. any favourite character besides A.Smith?
6. what would be your proposal to remove poverty in societies?

:wavey:
1. Real estate developer;
2. Stanford (transfer) NYU Law, Columbia Business School (currently);
3. My avatar is a photograph of an associate during her youth - 60 years ago or so;
4. Why not;
5. I don't have a prescription to eradicate poverty altogether, reduce it perhaps, but remove it, no.

octatennis
12-23-2009, 12:38 AM
1. have you ever visited any south american country?
2. i asked about the nickname because of what it means, what does it represents(too much love for your signifcant other)?
3. how would you reduce the poverty then?

prima donna
12-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Five people dead or alive you'd like to meet and have dinner with? Why would they be your picks?
Will give reasons later:
1. John Adams
2. Winston Churchill
3. Napoleon Bonaparte
4. Niccolo' Machiavelli
5. Martin Luther King Jr.,

+ 6. Nancy Mitford

What are your hopes for next year?
A prosperous and healthy existence for my family, perhaps another child (unlikely, but possible in another 11 months)

~*BGT*~
12-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Media studies

prima donna
12-23-2009, 12:45 AM
1. have you ever visited any south american country?
2. i asked about the nickname because of what it means, what does it represents(too much love for your signifcant other)?
3. how would you reduce the poverty then?

1. No, although I wouldn't mind visiting Argentina;
2. It embodies the melodramatic and sardonic aspect of my personality;
3. Shift the global pendulum away from mercantilism instead toward liberalization of markets and intensify the process of globalization.

Stensland
12-23-2009, 12:46 AM
1. if sicily wants to, do you think it should be able to secede? do you generally believe it would be an alternative for italy to just split up again?

2. do you support any italian football club?

3. do you happen to know anyone who lost money by investing in madoff?

4. i take it you didn't grow up jewish. did you convert after your marriage? if so, what did your parents say?

5. do you have that typical italian-american new yorker accent, the one many guys from "the godfather" display?

6. how has the subprime crisis affected your job in real estate? must have had quite an impact.

7. i didn't know you basically grew up completely in italy. do you still feel somewhat "at home" over there when you visit?

8. do you think bernanke should get another term?

9. name the 5 major powers on the planet in 100 years' time.

10. who would you want to run for president on the republican side in 2012?

prima donna
12-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Media studies
I would recommend one of three options (two, if you can handle it): journalism school (GRE), law school (LSAT) and business school (GMAT -- most business schools will only accept those with some level of private sector experience)

prima donna
12-23-2009, 01:13 AM
1. if sicily wants to, do you think it should be able to secede? do you generally believe it would be an alternative for italy to just split up again?

2. do you support any italian football club?

3. do you happen to know anyone who lost money by investing in madoff?

4. i take it you didn't grow up jewish. did you convert after your marriage? if so, what did your parents say?

5. do you have that typical italian-american new yorker accent, the one many guys from "the godfather" display?

6. how has the subprime crisis affected your job in real estate? must have had quite an impact.

7. i didn't know you basically grew up completely in italy. do you still feel somewhat "at home" over there when you visit?

8. do you think bernanke should get another term?

9. name the 5 major powers on the planet in 100 years' time.

10. who would you want to run for president on the republican side in 2012?

1. I think Italy's reputation and wealth would be greatly enhanced by minimizing it to all countries north of Toscana (Toscana would be included as well);
2. Calcio is a little too barbaric for my taste;
3. Half-a-dozen or so;
4. I converted prior to marriage, and my Mother was happy to learn of my decision;
5. I grew up in Manhattan and Connecticut to white-collar parents, not in a working-class borough (where such a vulgar accent abounds);
6. No tangible impact, the company for which I work is owned by my in-laws;
7. Actually, my mentality is more American than Italian. Although I tend to lean European in musical and culinary preferences;
8. Indifferent, although I must say the man is beloved by academia (many of my professors are quite proud of the fact that he ascended to the chairmanship of the Fed from well, head of the economics department at Princeton);
9. In this order: China, United States, Russia, India + a dark horse (perhaps Brazil);
10. Mitt Romney

prima donna
12-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Addition to #2: There's a joke (la terronia comincia da Firenze in giu') -- which literally means, Terronia (southern Italy) starts in Florence.

~*BGT*~
12-23-2009, 02:07 AM
I would recommend one of three options (two, if you can handle it): journalism school (GRE), law school (LSAT) and business school (GMAT -- most business schools will only accept those with some level of private sector experience)

I have no desire to go to law school. I would prefer to do all of my education in my home state. Louisiana law adheres to Napoleonic code so I could only practice law here. I considered getting an MBA but I've since changed my mind. I am actually seriously considering applying to the M.A. in Public Communication program at American University in DC. I'm not graduating until December 2011 at least so I have time to think about it.

Black Adam
12-23-2009, 02:38 AM
1. Five Favorite Musicians or Bands?

2.What studies did you do in college (just curious because of your political, economical and business related posts)

3. Five best American Presidents so far?

4. In the same manner, the five worst Presidents.

5. In the current Globalization era, what do you think of Secession? Should we allow more divisions?

6. Do you believe in other lifeforms in the galaxy?

7. French or Italian cuisine?

8. Your opinion on Kosovo's sovereignity. Should Kosovo be recognised as an independant country?

9. Do you believe that neo-colonialism is part of what's hindering African and some 3rd world countries.

10. Should radicals like David Duke, Nick Griffin, Religious Fanatics etc. be given air time in order to respect freedom of speech or should we protect the public from them.

11. Your Opinion on Pre-nuptial agreements? Trust issues or simple protection of assets.

12. Is it possible to be too rich?

13. The elite must always lead. Agree or Disagree?

prima donna
12-23-2009, 02:58 AM
1. Five Favorite Musicians or Bands?

2.What studies did you do in college (just curious because of your political, economical and business related posts)

3. Five best American Presidents so far?

4. In the same manner, the five worst Presidents.

5. In the current Globalization era, what do you think of Secession? Should we allow more divisions?

6. Do you believe in other lifeforms in the galaxy?

7. French or Italian cuisine?

8. Your opinion on Kosovo's sovereignity. Should Kosovo be recognised as an independant country?

9. Do you believe that neo-colonialism is part of what's hindering African and some 3rd world countries.

10. Should radicals like David Duke, Nick Griffin, Religious Fanatics etc. be given air time in order to respect freedom of speech or should we protect the public from them.

11. Your Opinion on Pre-nuptial agreements? Trust issues or simple protection of assets.

12. Is it possible to be too rich?

13. The elite must always lead. Agree or Disagree?

1. Bach, Beethoven, Maria Callas, Stravinsky, and Berganza;
2. Economics and political science;
3. Lincoln, Clinton, Reagan, Truman, and FDR;
4. Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon, Woodrow Wilson, Andrew Jackson, and George Bush Jr's 2nd term;
5. I'm a bit of a hypocrite on this issue, as I tend to peg secessionists as lunatics, except those of Italian descent;
6. Sure;
7. Italian;
8. My approach is that of an isolationist on the question of Kosovo; that is, if that is what a majority want and express (plebiscite), then so be it, but it's not up to outsiders to decide;
9. To some degree, but much of Africa's plight can be attributed to internal characteristics;
10. Air time should be allocated based upon profitability; that is, basic laws of supply and demand should overarch all other considerations;
11. They are a necessary evil, but at the same time serve to expose a sense of distrust;
12. No;
13. Agree.

Henry Chinaski
12-23-2009, 05:27 AM
would you be more critical of US policies in a forum you didn't perceive to be so anti-american?
in other words does does the prevailing attitude on MTF mean that a somewhat distorted view of your beliefs is presented?

prima donna
12-23-2009, 12:55 PM
would you be more critical of US policies in a forum you didn't perceive to be so anti-american?
in other words does does the prevailing attitude on MTF mean that a somewhat distorted view of your beliefs is presented?
I'd say no. I tend to agree with much of U.S. foreign policy, so in that respect the atmosphere plays little role in the presentation of my views; however, I would be more critical perhaps of the far-right on certain domestic issues. Alas, the prevailing ideology on this forum is such that seldom am I presented with an opportunity to critique policies which I deem to be insidious and divisive. For example, I'm pro-choice, yet the platform of our party advocates an anti-choice stance. I think women should be able to do as they please with their bodies. State intervention is only warranted in cases in which there is a conflict between individual freedom and collective safety. Although I disapprove of using taxpayer dollars as a means of funding abortions and, for the most part, oppose third trimester abortions, except in life threatening scenarios.

Betty
12-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Addition to #2: There's a joke (la terronia comincia da Firenze in giu') -- which literally means, Terronia (southern Italy) starts in Florence.

c' chi dice da bologna

how is yr life changed now that u have a daughter?.le tue priorit ecc-

Aloimeh
12-23-2009, 03:10 PM
1.) Top 20 favorite opera arias.

2.) Is attending an opera performance in a language you intimately understand, such as Italian, a fundamentally different experience than attending an opera sung in a language you don't know, such as Czech?

ad-out
12-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Have you ever posted your picture on the "photos thread" and if not would you?

Do you support stem cell research?

Do you agree with stereotypes of people from the US southern states?

Harmless
12-23-2009, 03:57 PM
1. One of the things that most of the world objects to in America's internal policy are it's views on health care. As someone coming from a country where free basic health care is the standard and has been for decades, I was very shocked to find out about how the system works over there. What's your opinion on the current status of American health care and how would you, ideally, like to see it?

2. In an ideal situation where travel and separation from the family would be no issue at all, which country would you like to see your children be educated in? Primary and secondary education only.

3. Addition to No.2 - In short, what is your opinion of the American educational system? Primary and secondary education only.

4. What is your opinion of the Montessori method?

5. I imagine that many of your priorities in life go through a transformation after becoming a parent. But have you noticed a change in your values as well? If so, were they unexpected?

6. What is your opinion of other Romance languages when compared to Italian?

7. Your two horses are beautiful, do you intend to expand your stable with time or are you content leaving it at two?

8. Do you play any musical instruments, and if not, which one do you regret not being proficient in?

prima donna
12-23-2009, 04:37 PM
1.) Top 20 favorite opera arias.

2.) Is attending an opera performance in a language you intimately understand, such as Italian, a fundamentally different experience than attending an opera sung in a language you don't know, such as Czech?

Top 15:

1. Nessun dorma
2. La Mamma Morta
3. Der Hlle Rache
4. Suicidio, La Gioconda
5. La donna e' mobile
6. Je veux vivre dans le reve
7. Voi, che sapete
8. Ah fors'e' lui, Sempre libera
9. O mio babbino caro
10. Una Voce Poco Fa
11. Non piu' andrai
12. Habanera - L'amour est un oiseau rebelle
13. Che faro' senza Euridice
14. Casta Diva
15. Il capro e la capretta

2. Is attempting to conversate with a person speaking a language which is altogether unintelligible a different experience than, say, conversating with a person in a language both of you understand ? Of course. That said, prior to two years ago, I found opera rather humdrum. I have attended between 25 - 30 operas -- 65-70% of which coming over the past 24-36 months. In other words, I'm a connoisseur.

Stensland
12-23-2009, 04:44 PM
what's "Der Hlle Rache"?

prima donna
12-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Should be written Der Holle Rache Kocht -
8xILc1_kV6Q&feature=related

prima donna
12-23-2009, 04:57 PM
c' chi dice da bologna

how is yr life changed now that u have a daughter?.le tue priorit ecc-
Niente di nuovo sotto il sole. Le mie priorita' non sono affatto cambiate. Per quanto riguarda mia figlia, ci pensa sia mia moglie che la bambinaia. Anzi, probabilmente mi sarei trasferito a Boston, cioe' se non ci fosse mia figlia.

Aloimeh
12-23-2009, 04:57 PM
what's "Der Hlle Rache"?

My preferred version sung by Lucia Popp

_ufeyarJxNQ

Aloimeh
12-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Top 15:

1. Nessun dorma
2. La Mamma Morta
3. Der Hlle Rache
4. Suicidio, La Gioconda
5. La donna e' mobile
6. Je veux vivre dans le reve
7. Voi, che sapete
8. Ah fors'e' lui, Sempre libera
9. O mio babbino caro
10. Una Voce Poco Fa
11. Non piu' andrai
12. Habanera - L'amour est un oiseau rebelle
13. Che faro' senza Euridice
14. Casta Diva
15. Il capro e la capretta

2. Is attempting to conversate with a person speaking a language which is altogether unintelligible a different experience than, say, conversating with a person in a language both of you understand ? Of course. That said, prior to two years ago, I found opera rather humdrum. I have attended between 25 - 30 operas -- 65-70% of which coming over the past 24-36 months. In other words, I'm a connoisseur.

I wasn't sure how intelligible the words were. In English oratorios such as Elijah and Messiah I often find it difficult to follow exactly what is being sung without a text there in the playbook.

I agree on Der Holle Rache. Mozart does opera like no one else. Casta Diva and O Mio Babbino Caro are greats too.

prima donna
12-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Have you ever posted your picture on the "photos thread" and if not would you?
People can private message me for recent pictures if they're genuinely interested. I don't mind.

Do you support stem cell research?
Sure.

Do you agree with stereotypes of people from the US southern states?
Oh, I don't know. My wife & I have vacationed in South Carolina, Missouri and Kentucky. Southerners are great in terms of breeding, specifically with regard to beagles and horses -- more so than breeders in, say, New Hampshire and Maine. And breeding constitutes the extent of our face-to-face contact with them, as I've never actually sat down to luncheon with one.

Aloimeh
12-23-2009, 05:11 PM
People can private message me for recent pictures if they're genuinely interested. I don't mind.

Sure.

Oh, I don't know. My wife & I have vacationed in South Carolina, Missouri and Kentucky. Southerners are great in terms of breeding, specifically with regard to beagles and horses -- more so than breeders in, say, New Hampshire and Maine. And breeding constitutes the extent of our face-to-face contact with them, as I've never actually sat down to luncheon with one.

Breeding what?

Also, do you actually like all this stuff? Does it really appeal to your soul, or is it a matter of fitting into your class/clique in society?

ad-out
12-23-2009, 05:15 PM

:lol: You might be surprised at the level of "breeding" among some southern ladies and gentlemen. ;)

prima donna
12-23-2009, 05:16 PM
I wasn't sure how intelligible the words were. In English oratorios such as Elijah and Messiah I often find it difficult to follow exactly what is being sung without a text there in the playbook.
Yes, there are definitely times when lyrics are unintelliglible, irrespective of the particular language.

prima donna
12-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Breeding what?
Horses. We have a mare and a stallion.
Also, do you actually like all this stuff? Does it really appeal to your soul, or is it a matter of fitting into your class/clique in society?
Music is my life. I'm constantly listening to it. I exercise while listening to classical and opera on the radio, so there's nothing to do with customs involved. It keeps me happy and sane (although I've decided to cut back for fear of tinnitus). As for horseback riding, I enjoy it but it's also a way in which to placate my companion.

Stensland
12-23-2009, 05:27 PM
do you listen to contemporary music as well? pop, rock, rap, dance, anything? you say you're 31 but judging from your answers so far you sound 30 years older, to be honest. buddyholly is more youthful than you, and i take he's about 60 (?).

Stensland
12-23-2009, 05:34 PM
1. if you'd "venture" to germany, what place/sight would you want to see first?

2. do you think the u.s. wanted the russia/georgia-war to happen, and if so, why?

3. do you believe israel will attack iran all by itself within the next 2-3 years? will obama intervene if such a thing were to happen?

4. name 3 american comedians that make you laugh.

5. do you think it would be a godo idea to partition iraq?

Aloimeh
12-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Horses. We have a mare and a stallion.

Music is my life. I'm constantly listening to it. I exercise while listening to classical and opera on the radio, so there's nothing to do with customs involved. It keeps me happy and sane (although I've decided to cut back for fear of tinnitus). As for horseback riding, I enjoy it but it's also a way in which to placate my companion.

Not the music. I like classical music as well, but not opera. It's more an issue of a whole complex, if I could put it that way. The opera, the horses, the attention to high fashion, the tennis, the obsession with wealth as the definitive measure of a human being. I think it would also be safe to assume that you enjoy fine wines and perhaps golfing and sailing...

I find it strange that you would be drawn to these things simply because they were attractive to you, because "coincidentally" they are also highly attractive to a great many others in your economic position.

prima donna
12-23-2009, 05:47 PM
1. One of the things that most of the world objects to in America's internal policy are it's views on health care. As someone coming from a country where free basic health care is the standard and has been for decades, I was very shocked to find out about how the system works over there. What's your opinion on the current status of American health care and how would you, ideally, like to see it?

2. In an ideal situation where travel and separation from the family would be no issue at all, which country would you like to see your children be educated in? Primary and secondary education only.

3. Addition to No.2 - In short, what is your opinion of the American educational system? Primary and secondary education only.

4. What is your opinion of the Montessori method?

5. I imagine that many of your priorities in life go through a transformation after becoming a parent. But have you noticed a change in your values as well? If so, were they unexpected?

6. What is your opinion of other Romance languages when compared to Italian?

7. Your two horses are beautiful, do you intend to expand your stable with time or are you content leaving it at two?

8. Do you play any musical instruments, and if not, which one do you regret not being proficient in?

1. I think there's a consensus with regard to the desire to extend accessibility to as many Americans as possible, however, universal healthcare strikes me as something of a fantasy in a country of 300 million people. We should instead adopt a pragmatic outlook and acknowledge the fallibility of any system, thus better enabling us to confront and come to terms with inevitable flaws and wrinkles. Some of the approaches that I would propose would be tort reform, given the amount of money that is spent annually on the practice of defensive medicine. I would also allow consumers to purchase health insurance across state lines, which would increase supply (i.e., competition) and, ultimately, lower prices. Universal healthcare would lower prices (e.g., the price of a visit to the doctor), not costs (e.g., reimbursement for a visit to the doctor, the cost of nurses, the cost of developing technology, the cost and time associated with developing pharmecutical drugs or any other such intellectual property);
2. Early years (United Kingdom), higher education (United States);
3. Public schools are a nightmare, especially on the east coast, dozens of articles have been published over the last two months or so in the Wall Street Journal citing the downward trajectory of national test scores and the loosening of academic standards by states;
4. Not well-informed enough to provide anything other than a glib and superficial response;
5. My values are still the same, marriage has had a greater impact on my values than the addition of a child;
6. Never had any desire to explore Spanish (except to read Don Quixote), and I have an aversion to French due to the hours and hours of lessons inflicted upon me in my youth, namely by my father
7. My wife will decide. We've been shopping for a colt (it would be a gift for my daughter);
8. I grew up playing the trombone.

prima donna
12-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Not the music. I like classical music as well, but not opera. It's more an issue of a whole complex, if I could put it that way. The opera, the horses, the attention to high fashion, the tennis, the obsession with wealth as the definitive measure of a human being. I think it would also be safe to assume that you enjoy fine wines and perhaps golfing and sailing...

I find it strange that you would be drawn to these things simply because they were attractive to you, because "coincidentally" they are also highly attractive to a great many others in your economic position.
Fashion, tennis (started playing at the age of six) and music were childhood passions of mine. Horseback riding and sailing are acquired tastes. I enjoy certain types of wine, but isn't that the case for all Europeans -- even ordinary ones ? In other words, as a boy, our table was always replete with high quality wines and cheeses. My mother, like most Italian mothers, spoiled me. For example, I wasn't asked to use a wine cork until four years ago. I just didn't know how to do it -- there were other people around to do that sort of stuff. Needless to say, it was something of an embarrassment.

Anyway, a few of the hobbies in which I partake come as a result of my Wife's influence. She is far older than I. Moreover, she is culturally (not financially) upper middle-class (contrary to popular belief, many rich individuals are not particularly cultured or well-mannered). It is she who is eternally curious and embraces all things new. As a child, my neighborhood was filled with racists, anti-Semites and spoiled fools (think George Bush without the Texas accent), not sophisticated types. Sophistication is not a trait of those who, say, inherit money as opposed to earn it. People have romanticized the idea of wealth.

prima donna
12-23-2009, 06:30 PM
do you listen to contemporary music as well? pop, rock, rap, dance, anything? you say you're 31 but judging from your answers so far you sound 30 years older, to be honest. buddyholly is more youthful than you, and i take he's about 60 (?).
I haven't listened to dance music since my undergraduate days. Never been a fan of rock. I stopped listening to Italian rap some number of years ago, so not really.

Aloimeh
12-23-2009, 06:31 PM
1.) What do you think of Georgian red wine and Tokaj?

2.) What is your highest level of education in science? Do you enjoy science? Any ideas you'd like to explore?

3.) Do you think perhaps your wife dominates the cultural sphere of the marriage? I mean, you converted faiths, you're raising your daughter in your wife's culture, etc....

4.) Do you think it is possible for an individual to have multiple identities, e.g. Jewish AND Italian, or not?

5.) Do you plan on speaking Italian to your daughter?

6.) Can you understand Romanian speakers at all?

7.) To what do you attribute the great degree of differentiation of the Romance languages from Latin, notably the loss of cases? By comparison, it appears much more extensive than Germanic or Slavic differentiation.

8.) If your wife converted to Christianity, would you convert back, or are you convinced of the unique truth of Judaism?

9.) Is your father Sephardi, Ashkenazi, or Italki?

Stensland
12-23-2009, 06:39 PM
1. have you (and your wife) ever considered aliyah?

2. what's your take on the book "the israel connection" that made headlines some months ago?

3. do you feel local politics is filthy where you live?

4. what's the largest minority group in your neighborhood?

5. why did your parents move when you were 12? were you fluent in english when you arrived in the u.s.? how did you manage to "blend in"?

Stensland
12-23-2009, 06:44 PM
apparently it's not called "the israel connection". i think you probably know the book i'm talking about anyways.

ad-out
12-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Where/how did you meet your wife?

Harmless
12-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the answers. :)
A few more:

1. Do you consider the fact that you spent your childhood in a different country than the one you've taken up residence in a hindrance or an advantage in some way?

2. What are your views on marital infidelity -
a) From an objective, social view
b) From a personal view
c) Do you think it's different for men and women?

3. How big of a role do you intend to play in your children's education?

4. What are your thoughts on Renata Tebaldi and where do you place her in the all-time scale?

5. Although it's ridiculously soon to ask, I know :lol:, but do you look forward to having grandchildren and how would you feel if your child(ren) decided not to have kids at all?

6. Who do you rate to be the best Italian actress ever?

7. Your views on the phenomenon of Paul Potts - a positive or negative thing for the reputation of opera in the modern world?

prima donna
12-23-2009, 07:01 PM
1.) What do you think of Georgian red wine and Tokaj?
On the former, thumbs up; on the latter, I'll be getting back to you.

2.) What is your highest level of education in science? Do you enjoy science? Any ideas you'd like to explore?
Oh, I've never been particularly skilled when it comes to scientific comprehension. My level of familiarity is limited to the rudimentary and intermediate aspects of physics. Math and writing were my strong points. I've avoided it since my sophomore year in undergrad. Fortunately, science and business school seldom intermingle.

3.) Do you think perhaps your wife dominates the cultural sphere of the marriage? I mean, you converted faiths, you're raising your daughter in your wife's culture, etc....
Certainly. I think this is probably true of any man who has married a Jewish woman -- the biggest nightmare next to an Italian woman. In our tradition, men are subservient to women.

4.) Do you think it is possible for an individual to have multiple identities, e.g. Jewish AND Italian, or not?
The premise of your question supposes cultural uniformity. It sounds a bit like tribalism to me. In my case, differences don't fall along religious or ethnic lines, but rather environmental ones.

5.) Do you plan on speaking Italian to your daughter?
Not sure. Italian is a second language to me -- Milanese is my first language.

6.) Can you understand Romanian speakers at all?
Some of it. I had an entire conversation on a flight with a Romanian business man in our respective tongues, understood 60% of it.

8.) If your wife converted to Christianity, would you convert back, or are you convinced of the unique truth of Judaism?
Neither of the above would ever occur.

Will answer the others in due time.

Pfloyd
12-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Can you refute this?

HFxYyXGMfZM

prima donna
12-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Where/how did you meet your wife?
We lived in the same co-op.

ad-out
12-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks PD. Your answers have been interesting. :yeah:

prima donna
12-23-2009, 07:26 PM
1. Do you consider the fact that you spent your childhood in a different country than the one you've taken up residence in a hindrance or an advantage in some way?

2. What are your views on marital infidelity -
a) From an objective, social view
b) From a personal view
c) Do you think it's different for men and women?

3. How big of a role do you intend to play in your children's education?

4. What are your thoughts on Renata Tebaldi and where do you place her in the all-time scale?

5. Although it's ridiculously soon to ask, I know :lol:, but do you look forward to having grandchildren and how would you feel if your child(ren) decided not to have kids at all?

6. Who do you rate to be the best Italian actress ever?

7. Your views on the phenomenon of Paul Potts - a positive or negative thing for the reputation of opera in the modern world?

1. I've had little difficulty assimilating myself, so I actually consider myself more American than Italian, in certain respects. For example, I must be extremely lucid in order to speak Italian without some vestige of an accent. I'm certainly capable of doing it, but over the years I have grown accustomed to operating in a certain type of environment. Basic things that come naturally to Italians do not come naturally to me. Although I do a great deal of academic reading in Italian, so I would probably be in a better position to write an essay or something requiring the ability to navigate one's way through jargon and so forth. I am not particularly fond of that which most would describe as Italian culture. In fact, a significant percentage of so-called Italians can be considered such only when some perverse definition of that which constitutes "Italian culture" is applied. I don't think authentic Italian culture is that far separated from American culture;
2. A. Wrong
B. Wrong
C. Cheating is altogether wrong;
3. I'll be paying the copious tuition bills;
4. A joy. Unfortunately, I don't consider myself well-informed enough to go about judging or ranking;
5. I would much prefer that my daughter spend the rest of her days with us -- men are swine. Therefore, no grandchildren would be an ideal scenario;
6. I'll have to think about this one.
7. Negative.

prima donna
12-23-2009, 07:43 PM
1. have you (and your wife) ever considered aliyah?

2. what's your take on the book "the israel connection" that made headlines some months ago?

3. do you feel local politics is filthy where you live?

4. what's the largest minority group in your neighborhood?

5. why did your parents move when you were 12? were you fluent in english when you arrived in the u.s.? how did you manage to "blend in"?

1. No. My wife is Jewish but she doesn't care to surround herself with other Jews. Eliot Spitzer syndrome, I guess.
2. I have no idea what it is.
3. Corruption is ubiquitous, it's not so much an existential question as it is a quantitative one;
4. Asians (unless Jews are considered a minority group) -- but statistics are misleading. Our co-op has 24 units, 21 of which are occupied by whites, 2 of which are occupied by Jewish families and one of which is occupied by an Ethiopian entrepreneur;
5. I had a rudimentary comprehension of the English language. I didn't have much difficulty fitting in, as I was able to pick up the language relatively quickly and was fairly impressionable.

prima donna
12-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Can you refute this?

HFxYyXGMfZM
Why bother.

Aloimeh
12-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Why do you continue to live in NYC when the cost of living is so high?

Ever considered living in a more suburban/rural part of the US?

Your wife is from the UK?

Don't you feel a little sad that your daughter will have very little of your culture with her?

What is your IQ?

Are you a member of Mensa and if not, are you interested?

Were you ever in a fraternity?

Your circle of friends - who are they, generally speaking. Work colleagues? People you meet at the synagogue? Parents of your daughter's playmates?

What denomination of Judaism are you and what did your conversion involve? Circumcision? Learning Hebrew? Denouncing Christianity?

Eden
12-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Seems nobody remembered the spotlight thread for PD which had been started by Clydey :angel:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=134813

To repeat my questions from there (which haven't been answered so far):

1) Which are your 5 favourite matches of Roger?

2) What do you value most in a person?

3) Do you daily read newspapers? What are your favourite sections? And the order?

4) What's on your to-read list?

5) What was your favourite subject in school?

6) Do you believe in destiny or is it all coincidance?

7) What is the most valuable thing you own?

8) If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?

9) How did you discover MTF?

10) Which countries have you been to?

Some new ones:

1) How much did it meant to you that Roger won RG?

2) How angry would you have been if he wouldn't have used the opportunity to win Paris this year after Rafa's loss to Robin?

3) Have yoo thought for a moment after the Wimbledon final that Roger could retire, now that he had won RG and broke Pete's GS record?

4) Which Roger opponent do you respect the most and why?

5) Which player impressed you the most over the past year?

6) When you got to see any old tennis match through download or from a DVD this year: Which was the best one you saw?

~*BGT*~
12-24-2009, 10:37 PM
1. How do you define "success"?

2. How much of your own personal success to you attribute to: 1) hard work; 2) luck (born to parents who valued education...) and 3) intangibles?

3. Which music genre of the 90's do you think is the worst influence on American culture: grunge, gangsta rap, boy bands (Bacsktreet Boys, N*SYNC) and hypersexualized pop tarts (Britney Spears)?

4. How many languages can you speak and do you regret ever "giving up" on learning one?

5. If you were told you had just one month to live, what would you do?

6. I am impressed by how sufficiently and succinctly you can make your point when making posts, even when you never use smilies. So here's a challenge. Concoct a simple story using just smilies :p

7. What makes you laugh?

8. What do you think about MTV's Jersey Shore's portrayal of Italian-Americans?

MWD4T9--bWg

9. What do you think about Gasquet?

10. Did you get any criticism for dating and eventually marrying an older woman?

11. Will you vote for me in the Miss MTF pageant? :D

Har-Tru
12-24-2009, 11:52 PM
7.) To what do you attribute the great degree of differentiation of the Romance languages from Latin, notably the loss of cases? By comparison, it appears much more extensive than Germanic or Slavic differentiation.

I might as well have a try at this since PD didn't and it is my thing.

The Romance languages derived from Vulgar Latin, which was different from the Classical and cult form of Latin. As time passed the differences between Vulgar and Classical accentuated, and ended up building new languages as you know. Apparently case inflection was lost in Vulgar Latin at a fairly early stage. However, modern Romanian is an inflected language, but then again the population of the Dacia was quite special.

Not sure. Italian is a second language to me -- Milanese is my first language.

Italian and Milanese cannot be considered different languages. And yes I know what I'm talking about.

Henry Chinaski
12-25-2009, 01:06 AM

He certainly gives off more than a strong whiff of Patrick Bateman

Have you read American Psycho, PD?

rocketassist
12-25-2009, 02:01 AM
1 What made you a big fan of Stefan Edberg? (he's my all time fave as well)

2 Would you ever return to Europe to live or will you be spending the rest of your life in NY?

3 Do you think Sarah Palin should run for president in 2012?

4 Who will be your favourite player after Federer retires? I am surprised you like Del Potro a lot as you seemed to be more into aesthetic players.

5 Have you ever visited the UK?

6 What is your accent now, is it American entirely or is there a bit of Italian in there?

prima donna
12-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Italian and Milanese cannot be considered different languages. And yes I know what I'm talking about.
Dna che la piang e cavall che sda hinn fals me Giuda;
El gh'ha el dun de Dio de cap nagott;
El st mej un ratt in buca al gatt che un puart in di man d'un aucatt;
Fa cume l'Isacch che'l strascia i cams per gist i sacch.

Visto che, secondo te, non ci sarebbe una differenza sostanziale tra il dialetto milanese e l'italiano, cosa vogliono dire le soprascritte frasi ? E' una semplice domanda alla quale vorrei una risposta. Inoltre:

Il dialetto parlato a Bollate una variante del meneghino, o milanese come siamo pi abituati a chiamarlo. Sarebbe pi giusto chiamarla lingua locale o parlata locale, perch il termine "dialetto", stato ed usato per indicare una sotto lingua derivata dall'italiano mentre nessun dialetto deriva dalla lingua italiana. Infatti, l'italiano non altro che il "dialetto toscano" scelto e modificato per essere lingua di stato con l'unificazione dell'Italia. In Italia il toscano divenuto lingua italiana soprattutto grazie all'influenza letteraria esercitata da Dante, Petrarca e Boccaccio che scrissero in toscano. La lingua milanese pur avendo fondamenta latine, risente degli influssi di quanti hanno governato Milano, imponendo, di fatto, se non formalmente, i loro usi ed alcuni dei loro vocaboli. Abbiamo quindi parole di chiara origine gallica, gotica, longobarda, francese, spagnola, austriaca, ma non bisogna cadere nell'errore, di credere che la lingua si sia creata grazie ad insediamenti daltre popolazioni, perch il milanese possedeva gi prima di queste una propria struttura sintattica, e la somiglianza ad alcune lingue nord europee perch derivano dallo stesso ceppo celtico, e sono definite lingue gallo-romanze.

Se alcuni vocaboli sono identici a parole francesi o tedesche, si deve al fatto che entrarono a far parte della lingua esattamente come oggi, sono entrati ad esempio molti vocaboli inglesi nella lingua italiana
Il meneghino o milanese era una lingua usata soprattutto dal popolo, in contrapposizione al latino parlato principalmente dalla nobilt e da quanti avessero un potere da esercitare. Il milanese stato riconosciuto come lingua minoritaria dall'Unione Europea.
Nel prossimo capitolo troverete un breve sunto di parole e modi di dire meneghini e brianzoli, usati tuttora dalla maggior parte dei nostri anziani, con la speranza che anche i giovani apprendano e continuino a parlare questa lingua che parte delle nostre radici e della nostra cultura.

Har-Tru
12-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Dna che la piang e cavall che sda hinn fals me Giuda;

Dona che piange e cavallo che suda sono pi falsi di Giuda.

El gh'ha el dun de Dio de cap nagott;

Ha il dono di Dio di capire XXX

El st mej un ratt in buca al gatt che un puart in di man d'un aucatt;

Una ratta meglio in bocca al gatto che nelle mani di un avvocato. (Devo dire che questo qua l'avevo gi sentito)

Fa cume l'Isacch che'l strascia i cams per gist i sacch.

Fa come l'Isacco che straccia le camicie per aggiustare i sacchi.

Visto che, secondo te, non ci sarebbe una differenza sostanziale tra il dialetto milanese e l'italiano, cosa vogliono dire le soprascritte frasi ? E' una semplice domanda alla quale vorrei una risposta.

However, mutual intelligibility is NOT one of the means to define what is separate languages and what is not. Notice I didn't say Milanese is a dialect of Italian; that is only true depending on the definition of dialect. Milanese is one of the varieties of vulgar Italian, vulgar intended here as the oral speech used by the people as opposed to the cult, written form of language.

prima donna
12-25-2009, 02:47 AM
Why do you continue to live in NYC when the cost of living is so high?

Ever considered living in a more suburban/rural part of the US?

Your wife is from the UK?

Don't you feel a little sad that your daughter will have very little of your culture with her?

What is your IQ?

Are you a member of Mensa and if not, are you interested?

Were you ever in a fraternity?

Your circle of friends - who are they, generally speaking. Work colleagues? People you meet at the synagogue? Parents of your daughter's playmates?

What denomination of Judaism are you and what did your conversion involve? Circumcision? Learning Hebrew? Denouncing Christianity?

1. We don't pay New York City taxes, as our "primary" residence is located in Greenwich, Connecticut;
2. I grew up and live in what many would consider to be a suburban environment;
3. Yes, my wife was born in London;
4. I don't believe it's possible for my daughter to have constant exposure to her parents without acquiring and emulating our characteristics -- which are a reflection of our cultural values;
5. I've never taken an IQ exam, therefore the most that I have to offer is my 2008 GMAT score: 710 out of 800;
6. Not particularly. I don't consider myself to be a gifted or talented individual, just shrewd and highly competent;
7. Fortunately, no;
8. Our friends tend to be older people, many of whom are between the ages of 55 - 90;
9. Reform, but there are also members of wife's family who belong and adhere to the Orthodox tradition. Jews have great responsibilities , so conversion represents a burden as well as a privilege. One should be willing to go beyond mere acceptance of such an awesome responsibility and embrace that which accompanies it.

prima donna
12-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Seems nobody remembered the spotlight thread for PD which had been started by Clydey :angel:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=134813

To repeat my questions from there (which haven't been answered so far):

1) Which are your 5 favourite matches of Roger?

2) What do you value most in a person?

3) Do you daily read newspapers? What are your favourite sections? And the order?

4) What's on your to-read list?

5) What was your favourite subject in school?

6) Do you believe in destiny or is it all coincidance?

7) What is the most valuable thing you own?

8) If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?

9) How did you discover MTF?

10) Which countries have you been to?

1. 2004 USO Final; 2005 Miami Final; 2006 Wimbledon Final; 2007 TMC SF; 2009 Roland Garros SF;
2. Forthrightness;
3. The Wall Street Journal - don't have a favorite section, I read it all;
4. I'm currently reading "A Better War" by Lewis Sorley, "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" Nietzsche will be my next read;
5. History and Calculus;
6. I believe in man's power to shape his own destiny;
7. A piece of art;
8. Monte Carlo;
9. Random yahoo and google searches;
10. United Kingdom, Russia, Switzerland, France, Italy, United States, Israel, Austria and Australia.

Some new ones:

1) How much did it meant to you that Roger won RG?

2) How angry would you have been if he wouldn't have used the opportunity to win Paris this year after Rafa's loss to Robin?

3) Have yoo thought for a moment after the Wimbledon final that Roger could retire, now that he had won RG and broke Pete's GS record?

4) Which Roger opponent do you respect the most and why?

5) Which player impressed you the most over the past year?

6) When you got to see any old tennis match through download or from a DVD this year: Which was the best one you saw?
1. Great story, my optimism was vindicated by his triumph;
2. I would have been disappointed, not angry;
3. I wish he would retire already;
4. Safin or Nalbandian, because they were both able to defeat Roger by playing actual tennis, as opposed to the contra tennis played by Nadal;
5. Del Potro, by a mile.

prima donna
12-25-2009, 03:26 AM
1. How do you define "success"?

2. How much of your own personal success to you attribute to: 1) hard work; 2) luck (born to parents who valued education...) and 3) intangibles?

3. Which music genre of the 90's do you think is the worst influence on American culture: grunge, gangsta rap, boy bands (Bacsktreet Boys, N*SYNC) and hypersexualized pop tarts (Britney Spears)?

4. How many languages can you speak and do you regret ever "giving up" on learning one?

5. If you were told you had just one month to live, what would you do?

6. I am impressed by how sufficiently and succinctly you can make your point when making posts, even when you never use smilies. So here's a challenge. Concoct a simple story using just smilies :p

7. What makes you laugh?

8. What do you think about MTV's Jersey Shore's portrayal of Italian-Americans?

MWD4T9--bWg

9. What do you think about Gasquet?

10. Did you get any criticism for dating and eventually marrying an older woman?

11. Will you vote for me in the Miss MTF pageant? :D

1. Success can be defined by the extent to which one's life is dictated by others. There's an inverse relationship between success and external control, therefore one necessarily dilutes the other. Thus, with greater success come fewer external controls (i.e., the ability of others to yield influence or power over your actions);
2. My success can be attributed to my obsessive compulsive disorder. I'm not particularly strong in any specific area, however, my desire to succeed and obstinacy have enhanced mediocrity in such a way that it is able to operate beyond its capacity;
3. Black guys wearing baggy clothing and rapping;
4. Italian, English, French, Milanese -- can read and understand Hebrew and Russian;
5. Purchase a home on the beach and enjoy the company of my family;
6. Never. I abhor smilies;
7. Good question, not even I know the answer;
8. Italian-Americans are a pretty vulgar bunch;
9. Beautiful backhand and footwork;
10. No;
11. Probably not!

prima donna
12-25-2009, 03:31 AM
He certainly gives off more than a strong whiff of Patrick Bateman

Have you read American Psycho, PD?
No, although I've just glossed over its description on Wikipedia. I didn't attend Harvard College, nor am I enrolled at Harvard Business -- so much for that comparison. I'm enrolled at Columbia Business -- Warren Buffet's alma mater.

prima donna
12-25-2009, 03:41 AM
1 What made you a big fan of Stefan Edberg? (he's my all time fave as well)

2 Would you ever return to Europe to live or will you be spending the rest of your life in NY?

3 Do you think Sarah Palin should run for president in 2012?

4 Who will be your favourite player after Federer retires? I am surprised you like Del Potro a lot as you seemed to be more into aesthetic players.

5 Have you ever visited the UK?

6 What is your accent now, is it American entirely or is there a bit of Italian in there?
1. Where to start -- his feline movement, elegance, aloofness, tenacity and exquisite volleying;
2. Sure -- Monte Carlo (tax haven);
3. No, we don't need another neophyte as president;
4. Gasquet. I'm not fond of Del Potro, rather I'm merely aware of his talent -- which seemed to elude many people up until a few months ago;
5. Several times;
6. Typical Fairfield County accent. I speak Italian with a slight American accent.

Aloimeh
12-25-2009, 03:45 AM
1. Success can be defined by the extent to which one's life is dictated by others. There's an inverse relationship between success and external control, therefore one necessarily dilutes the other. Thus, with greater success come fewer external controls (i.e., the ability of others to yield influence or power over your actions);
2. My success can be attributed to my obsessive compulsive disorder. I'm not particularly strong in any specific area, however, my desire to succeed and obstinacy have enhanced mediocrity in such a way that it is able to operate beyond its capacity;
3. Black guys wearing baggy clothing and rapping;
4. Italian, English, French, Milanese -- can read and understand Hebrew and Russian;
5. Purchase a home on the beach and enjoy the company of my family;
6. Never. I abhor smilies;
7. Good question, not even I know the answer;
8. Italian-Americans are a pretty vulgar bunch;
9. Beautiful backhand and footwork;
10. No;
11. Probably not!

How come Russian?

prima donna
12-25-2009, 03:54 AM
However, mutual intelligibility is NOT one of the means to define what is separate languages and what is not. Notice I didn't say Milanese is a dialect of Italian; that is only true depending on the definition of dialect. Milanese is one of the varieties of vulgar Italian, vulgar intended here as the oral speech used by the people as opposed to the cult, written form of language.
Milanese is, as a practical matter, a language separate from Italian. Take it from any Italian who has transferred to Milano with no prior exposure to the dialect. The grammatical structure (i.e., syntax), sound, alterations in tone and so on are such that it is unintelligible to the ears of an individual with a strong foundation in Italian. Alas, Milanese has become something of a cultural anachronism.

On the other hand, as an esoteric and academic matter, whether or not Milanese -- or any dialect spoken in Italy -- is to be categorized as a language, in and of itself, is a subject of debate.

My point of focus, however, has to do with the former. My statements are based upon that which is empirical, as opposed to, say, text books.

prima donna
12-25-2009, 03:58 AM
How come Russian?
P.D. Ouspensky.

Aloimeh
12-25-2009, 04:01 AM
P.D. Ouspensky.

Why specifically him?

prima donna
12-25-2009, 04:13 AM
Why specifically him?
I stumbled upon a book of his in 2000 or 2001, thus my interest of Russian philosophy was born.

Aloimeh
12-25-2009, 04:15 AM
I stumbled upon a book of his in 2000 or 2001, thus my interest of Russian philosophy was born.

Have you tried reading the classics by Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Gogol, Pushkin, etc. or stuck to philosophy?

Impressed that you had the time to learn to read a language solely to read something as esoteric as Russian philosophy. Russian is by no means an easy language.

Clydey
12-25-2009, 04:28 AM
What are your religious beliefs? Be as specific as you wish.

prima donna
12-25-2009, 04:33 AM
Have you tried reading the classics by Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Gogol, Pushkin, etc. or stuck to philosophy?

Impressed that you had the time to learn to read a language solely to read something as esoteric as Russian philosophy. Russian is by no means an easy language.
I've dabbled in Tolstoy's works. Say, for example, I don't think I'd be able to contribute anything of substance to a conversation revolving around them. Foreign languages are easy to pick up. I'd listen to recordings of songs, movies and so forth while napping, which is actually an effective way in which to introduce a language to the subconscious (which is where all the action occurs). Also, just a rudimentary comprehension of grammar facilitates the process of reading text and so on -- context is all that matters. So long as the context (which is guided by grammatical rules) is understood, then it's quite easy to learn new words, phrases, and eventually piece together your own original thoughts.

Oh, and instead of gradually trying to pick up bits and pieces, jump in head first and read college level material.

prima donna
12-25-2009, 04:48 AM
What are your religious beliefs? Be as specific as you wish.
My religion is Judaism, but I am guided by principles and morals, which are based upon reason. For example, it is prudent to eschew adultery, murder, and mendacious behavior. Not for reasons having to do with belief in a deity or supreme being, but rather the practical realities that one must face in the event of such occurrences: consequences and despair. Religion, in my opinion, has generally been used as a tool with which to control the vulgar appetite of the masses. I do not believe it is possible to live in a society in which ordinary individuals are governed by morality and conscience, for the simple fact that standards of behavior are not universal. That which is acceptable to one culture or group may be anathema to another. It is, therefore, necessary to introduce as a means of incentivizing good behavior, the specter of hell and heaven; that is to say, ordinary human beings who would otherwise be unpersuaded by societal norms or customs, can indeed be forced (i.e., manipulation) to adhere to the same values as those who are inherently virtuous merely by implementation of religious dogma. It is the only way to control those who lack scruples.

Har-Tru
12-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Milanese is, as a practical matter, a language separate from Italian. Take it from any Italian who has transferred to Milano with no prior exposure to the dialect. The grammatical structure (i.e., syntax), sound, alterations in tone and so on are such that it is unintelligible to the ears of an individual with a strong foundation in Italian. Alas, Milanese has become something of a cultural anachronism.

On the other hand, as an esoteric and academic matter, whether or not Milanese -- or any dialect spoken in Italy -- is to be categorized as a language, in and of itself, is a subject of debate.

My point of focus, however, has to do with the former. My statements are based upon that which is empirical, as opposed to, say, text books.

I don't get what you mean with the last paragraph.

My point is any Italian who has transferred to Milan without prior exposure to the dialect is not in the position to determine if they are or not separate languages. And of course it is a matter of debate: as it is the case with many other disciplines, this particular field of linguistics is the object of heated discussions. However, there are some major points upon which a clear majority of scholars agrees. According to them, Milanese and Italian do not constitute different languages. Again, intelligibility is almost universally discarded as a decisive factor in the varieties/languages analysis.

I should add I've been spending most of my summers in Milan since my mid-teens, since my sister lives there and has been living with a Milanese man for years. Her father-in-law finds it difficult to express himself in Italian, to the point where a Spanish young man had to develop an ear for Milanese if any communication was to take place.

Dini
12-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Some interesting answers but why do you want Roger to retire?

prima donna
12-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Some interesting answers but why do you want Roger to retire?
Roger's best tennis is in the rear-view mirror. What has he to prove at this point -- that he can stick around just long enough to allow 18 - 24 year olds to take advantage of his reduced racquet-head speed and clumsy footwork ? I just don't see point. I've seen this movie before: same script, different cast.

Dini
12-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Play as long as you enjoy it. Don't quit whilst the fire is still there.

Doing a "Borg" is the last thing I'd want to see him do. The guy is all passion about his own sport and hanging his racquet up without good reason is a thing of quitters and cowardice in my eye. :shrug:

I guess we see it a bit different.

prima donna
12-25-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't get what you mean with the last paragraph.
I shall clarify. Such an academic discussion is hardly headline news, nor do I have a monopoly on the claim that my dialect is so unique in its origins and structure that it can't be considered a mere variation of the Italian language. For example, i napoletani have for years clamored regarding the status of their "dialect" -- which they do not consider to be such at all. Instead, the argument is often made that it should be categorized as una vera e propria lingua. The same is true of people from many other regions. What is not taken into account, however, is that linguistically speaking (which is where we depart from reality into esoteric discussion that can nevertheless be enjoyable and fruitful) there are a number of characteristics which must be present in order to constitute an actual language.

The validity of your point is not in question, at least from a technical perspective. The problem is, in reality, notwithstanding technicalities, many dialects found in Italy are far separated from the Italian language itself. Indeed, they have been stigmatized and abandoned, especially in northern regions. Two approaches: yours is based upon sophisticated, yet esoteric knowledge, whereas the original statement which triggered this back-and-forth, is based upon linguistic classification as a practical matter.

prima donna
12-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Play as long as you enjoy it. Don't quit whilst the fire is still there.
That's fine, but "fire in the belly" won't suffice to beat younger and quicker players, much less blunt the raw power of a Del Potro. I don't share your diplomatic and optimistic outlook. I feel that many of Roger's recent slams have come largely due to his name alone, which is a roundabout way of saying opponents underperformed and choked in his presence. That's fine, no complaints here. Point is, sooner or later, guys will grow a set of testicles and start to knock him around.

The guy is all passion about his own sport
It's easy to be passionate when one is dominant which, to some extent, he still is. The true test of will and passion shall come following a routine defeat in one of the slams, or when matches are no longer on his racquet, if you will.

Dini
12-25-2009, 04:32 PM
So you support that thread that says he should retire for his fans? I find that attitude a bit iffy to say the least. He can lose all the matches he plays next year and I'd still hope for him to continue as long as he wants to. He's done the winning bit in his career and now he can do what the heck he likes on the tennis court, except he doesn't have that attitude. He's really stubborn and eager to prove others wrong that's one thing that 2008 said about him.

Defeats are inevitable, he'll probably lose more than he wins against the top players in the future but he'll still win some and show tennis that not many others posess. He's 28 not 36.

Har-Tru
12-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Fedtards.killed.this.thread

Har-Tru
12-25-2009, 04:47 PM
I shall clarify. Such an academic discussion is hardly headline news, nor do I have a monopoly on the claim that my dialect is so unique in its origins and structure that it can't be considered a mere variation of the Italian language. For example, i napoletani have for years clamored regarding the status of their "dialect" -- which they do not consider to be such at all. Instead, the argument is often made that it should be categorized as una vera e propria lingua. The same is true of people from many other regions. What is not taken into account, however, is that linguistically speaking (which is where we depart from reality into esoteric discussion that can nevertheless be enjoyable and fruitful) there are a number of characteristics which must be present in order to constitute an actual language.

The validity of your point is not in question, at least from a technical perspective. The problem is, in reality, notwithstanding technicalities, many dialects found in Italy are far separated from the Italian language itself. Indeed, they have been stigmatized and abandoned, especially in northern regions. Two approaches: yours is based upon sophisticated, yet esoteric knowledge, whereas the original statement which triggered this back-and-forth, is based upon linguistic classification as a practical matter.

I say it's actually the other way around.

Dini
12-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Soorry I just remembered Jaz's thread and couldn't resist. :lol:

Har-Tru
12-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Soorry I just remembered Jaz's thread and couldn't resist. :lol:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/phloid01/yeah-right.jpg

:nerner:

Dini
12-25-2009, 04:58 PM
:rolleyes: what's that supposed to show?

Har-Tru
12-25-2009, 05:02 PM
can't you see the pic? :o nevermind...

prima donna
12-25-2009, 05:42 PM
So you support that thread that says he should retire for his fans?
No. Roger owes nothing to his fans -- not to mention he has only pseudo-fans (i.e., people who are prompted to disappear at even the slightest indication of adversity). I'm simply of the belief that he should leave with his ego intact.

I find that attitude a bit iffy to say the least.
I don't need lectures on how to approach gradual declines in Roger's game. I've consistently -- four years and counting -- spoken out on this forum in support of his tactics, behavior and image. There's nothing more to achieve. You've turned this discussion into an exercise in emotionalism. This isn't about what you or I -- or any of his fans feel -- it's about facts. Roger has been declining for three years now. He's far from the apex of his career. Therefore, I don't see the point in subjugating oneself to that which is precarious (e.g., age, speed, reflexes).

Roger played impeccably from 2004 - 2006. The number of titles he was able to amass during that period is immaterial. He was something of an artist, a true maestro. Not exactly sure how someone of his stature would handle being humiliated by a teenage punk like Andy Murray, which will happen should Roger hang around long enough. I actually care about Roger, so much so that I'm more interested in his pride than his feelings.

Har-Tru
12-25-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm inclining towards agreeing with PD on the Federer matter.

~*BGT*~
12-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I believe Roger said he wanted to play at least until after the 2012 Olympics.

~*BGT*~
12-25-2009, 05:59 PM
How was Hanukkah?

prima donna
12-25-2009, 06:04 PM
We had a ball. I always enjoy being in the presence of my mother-in-law. We have a superb rapport.

Stensland
12-25-2009, 06:06 PM
first up, i found a similarity betweeen the two of us! :eek: we both like stylish players, we both have roger and gasquet as one of our favorites and cite great backhands as an inevitable sign of beautiful tennis.

what's your take on wawrinka and haas?

prima donna
12-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Haas strikes me as something of a tortured genius -- save the genius part and replace it with soul. I loathe him, his tennis is mediocre and he emanates an attitude so poor that even the likes of Marat Safin would be perplexed by some of his antics. Wawrinka isn't exceptionally talented, but he's able to maximize the tools in his repertoire.

Stensland
12-25-2009, 06:18 PM
hmm okay, so much for the similarities. ;)

nalbandian?

Dini
12-25-2009, 06:19 PM
No. Roger owes nothing to his fans -- not to mention he has only pseudo-fans (i.e., people who are prompted to disappear at even the slightest indication of adversity). I'm simply of the belief that he should leave with his ego intact.

I don't need lectures on how to approach gradual declines in Roger's game. I've consistently -- four years and counting -- spoken out on this forum in support of his tactics, behavior and image. There's nothing more to achieve. You've turned this discussion into an exercise in emotionalism. This isn't about what you or I -- or any of his fans feel -- it's about facts. Roger has been declining for three years now. He's far from the apex of his career. Therefore, I don't see the point in subjugating oneself to that which is precarious (e.g., age, speed, reflexes).

Roger played impeccably from 2004 - 2006. The number of titles he was able to amass during that period is immaterial. He was something of an artist, a true maestro. Not exactly sure how someone of his stature would handle being humiliated by a teenage punk like Andy Murray, which will happen should Roger hang around long enough. I actually care about Roger, so much so that I'm more interested in his pride than his feelings.

I didn't mean ro sound like I'm preaching. I know you're a big fan hence why your comment about wanting to see him retiring a bit of a surprise. I disagree eith the idea that losing more to his rivals takes away from his pride or reputation. He will be seen as someone who gave up after the going got tough and be perceieved as someone who wasn't willing to face adversity. Frankly, if he comes out in a press conference next year saying it's over I'll be massively disappointed with that attitude as it hurts this pride tremendously more so than losing to younger guys.

I respect your opinion but I don't agree that he should retire nor that losing mire in the future will hurt his legacy. Declines are so inevitable and it's the way you handle them that defines you as a character. I think him retiring now would be like Henin in 2008. She had lost a fw more than she did in previous years, she was seen as a quitter but she still was a very good player and could win slams.

prima donna
12-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Nalbandian's game isn't what I would describe as aesthetically pleasing. Nevertheless, he's insanely talented and probably could have snagged a Grand Slam title or two had he done two things: adhered to a strict exercise and dietary regimen, learned to fight through the nerves that invariably creep in during big matches. Oh well.

Stensland
12-25-2009, 06:24 PM
yep, we're on the same page here.

why do you think asia has yet to produce a tennis great? it's not like they're not trying.

Dini
12-25-2009, 06:24 PM

Insightful.

Btw sorry for my spelling mistakes in prevous post. Typing fro
my iPhone and it's a pain.

prima donna
12-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I didn't mean ro sound like I'm preaching. I know you're a big fan hence why your comment about wanting to see him retiring a bit of a surprise. I disagree eith the idea that losing more to his rivals takes away from his pride or reputation. He will be seen as someone who gave up after the going got tough and be perceieved as someone who wasn't willing to face adversity. Frankly, if he comes out in a press conference next year saying it's over I'll be massively disappointed with that attitude as it hurts this pride tremendously more so than losing to younger guys.

I respect your opinion but I don't agree that he should retire nor that losing mire in the future will hurt his legacy. Declines are so inevitable and it's the way you handle them that defines you as a character. I think him retiring now would be like Henin in 2008. She had lost a fw more than she did in previous years, she was seen as a quitter but she still was a very good player and could win slams.
I'm doubtful that Roger will seriously contemplate retirement before 2011, so my opinion is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. It's sad to watch a masterpiece wither and rust. Moreover, I'd categorize Roger with the likes of Michelangelo, Caravaggio and Beethoven. Not to undermine Laver and Sampras, but Roger's tennis was worthy of La Scala, as opposed to, say, Centre Court of Wimbledon.

Aloimeh
12-25-2009, 06:32 PM
We had a ball. I always enjoy being in the presence of my mother-in-law. We have a superb rapport.

Remarkable, such things are quite rare. You are lucky.

Do you or your wife have siblings?

Have either of you been previously married?

~*BGT*~
12-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Have you ever survived a natural disaster? Blizzard, tornado, hurricane...?

prima donna
12-25-2009, 06:44 PM
yep, we're on the same page here.

why do you think asia has yet to produce a tennis great? it's not like they're not trying.
Call me crazy, but one of the underlying factors of China's failure to produce -- or manufacture -- an elite tennis player has a great deal to do with the prevailing mentality in that part of the world. The Chinese are accustomed to controlling things, nothing is left to chance or the ebb and flow of nature itself. Theirs is a society built around central planning, even in terms of sports. I read an article the other day in the WSJ in which the Chinese government's attempts to allocate resources and manage inventory levels were depicted in such a way that, well, such attempts could be described as failings. Tennis, especially at the professional level, is a sport where creativity must be allowed to flow. You can't just manufacture robots in the mold of Ivan Drago. All the top players are talented, so that what separates them is the ability to improvise. I'm using China as an example because I would say, more than any other Asian country, they have tried to produce the ATP's version of Frankenstein, yet failed miserably.

Thus far, Suzuki (Japanese player) is the only male Asian player worthy of mention. Although he's far from, say, top-20 material. The thing is, the Japanese are content with his level of success. He's embraced and cheered amorously. The Chinese, on the other hand, won't be satisfied until they are able to manufacture a tennis machine -- which is unlikely to happen. Roger Federer, Rod Laver, Edberg, Borg and Sampras are not the result of central planning.

prima donna
12-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Remarkable, such things are quite rare. You are lucky.

Do you or your wife have siblings?

Have either of you been previously married?
What can I say. I'm a cultural anachronism, older people adore me. My heart is lost in the 1940s. Fortunately, many of them have a remembrance of those days, so in the end there's synchronization.

I have a sister. My wife has two siblings. No previous marriages for either of us.

Stensland
12-25-2009, 06:53 PM
agreed.

i'd add nishikori though but you may as well call him american due to his affiliation with bolletieri.

do you find the chinese culture interesting? is china a place you wanna visit some time? over here there's a harsh divide between people who love everything chinese and people who detest the whole country and its antics. where do you see yourself?

prima donna
12-25-2009, 07:05 PM
agreed.

i'd add nishikori though but you may as well call him american due to his affiliation with bolletieri.

do you find the chinese culture interesting? is china a place you wanna visit some time? over here there's a harsh divide between people who love everything chinese and people who detest the whole country and its antics. where do you see yourself?
Chinese culture is interesting up to a point, and not necessarily for positive reasons. The country itself is a case study for how not to manage an economy or a society. In other words, they have grossly mismanaged their resources. China should be an economic behemoth, instead it's been relegated to the status of a sleeping giant for the past 150 years or so. In this respect, China has much in common with Russia. Both have a rich and intriguing history, yet their mistakes have a way of diluting such richness.

I'm more intrigued by Japanese culture. I mean, let's get superficial here: I'd prefer kobe beef to chicken fried rice and soy sauce.

Aloimeh
12-25-2009, 07:08 PM
What can I say. I'm a cultural anachronism, older people adore me. My heart is lost in the 1940s. Fortunately, many of them have a remembrance of those days, so in the end there's synchronization.

I have a sister. My wife has two siblings. No previous marriages for either of us.

Well, my father gets along great with his mother in law. My mother - not so well with hers. It does exist, but is rare.

Are you close to your sister and is your wife to her siblings? Meaning, spending holidays together, talking every week/every other week, etc.?

Stensland
12-26-2009, 01:45 AM
where do you see the world recession-wise in, let's say, 2 years? has the planet pretty much recovered by then? i've just been watching this gerald celente guy, some sort of doom-sayer with quite an impressive track record. scary stuff...