In The Spotlight: buddyholly [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

In The Spotlight: buddyholly

Stensland
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
don't fight it, it's happening. :D

1. do you have any other citizenship apart from irish? if canadian, did you vote for harper?

2. do you support any particular english teams in the pl?

3. since you're in canada, will you go watch the olympics?

4. thoughts on barry cowan?

5. do you think bilbo's taking the piss from time to time or do you believe he's really serious about the stuff he posts?

5. as a canadian, are you a hockey fan? if so, any particular franchise?

6. who do you think will run for office on the republican side in 2010? who do you want to run for office?

7. border fence, yes or nay?

8. name the 4 semi-finalists of next year's world cup.

9. avid skier?

10. where do you see glenn beck in 10 years' time?

that'll be a good start. off you go.

bokehlicious
12-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Favourite chef?

buddyholly
12-21-2009, 03:13 PM
don't fight it, it's happening. :D

1. do you have any other citizenship apart from irish? if canadian, did you vote for harper?

2. do you support any particular english teams in the pl?

3. since you're in canada, will you go watch the olympics?

4. thoughts on barry cowan?

5. do you think bilbo's taking the piss from time to time or do you believe he's really serious about the stuff he posts?

5. as a canadian, are you a hockey fan? if so, any particular franchise?

6. who do you think will run for office on the republican side in 2010? who do you want to run for office?

7. border fence, yes or nay?

8. name the 4 semi-finalists of next year's world cup.

9. avid skier?

10. where do you see glenn beck in 10 years' time?

that'll be a good start. off you go.
1. Canadian and UK
2. Aston Villa, because of martin O'Neill
3. No, too far away.
4. Best Irish TV personality ever.
5. I think he is serious, because he is not funny. I suspect he is your account for serious posts as opposed to the farout Rrainer posts. Aloimeh may be a put-on.
5A?. I live next door to the Leafs now (Toronto Make Beliefs) and on my new HD TV you can actually see the puck, so I may watch a few games, but not pay to see them live.
6. Don't like anybody. Can't imagine Palin running, but with her anything is possible.
7. Yes, we don't want American rednecks here.
8. Brazil, Germany, Italy, Spain. How boring. I don't care as long as France is not there.
9. Not any more. Winter indoor tennis is best for me.
10. I won't see him at all. FOX is only available here if you pay for it and MSNBC in a special package. So I don't even have the option of peeking anymore.

buddyholly
12-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Favourite chef?

I'll suck up to you with Freddy Girardet.

Favourite active chef: Michel Troisgros, or Bocuse (for la grande bouffe).

Har-Tru
12-21-2009, 03:20 PM
7. Yes, we don't want American rednecks here.

:haha:

8. I don't care as long as France is not there.

:worship:

buddyholly
12-21-2009, 03:24 PM
I am sure there is a line of people at least two long, but truth is I am just finishing packing for Costa Rica. Whether this thread is still around by Jan 5, I don't know.
I do know I will not be around for the next two weeks.

Har-Tru
12-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Why Costa Rica?

Can you speak Spanish?

Stensland
12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
1. since you're an agnostic, do you celebrate christmas?

2. i take it you grew up christian, ever considered "switching" instead of becoming an agnostic? (islam, buddhism etc.)

3. do you plan to retire in costa rica/somewhere sunny?

4. what was the "wildest" (meaning far away, most exotic) country you ever worked in?

5. do you own a gun? if so, why?

6. given that you've been away from ireland for quite some time, do native english speakers still easily recognize your accent?

7. do you think primadonna talks the same way he posts on non-mtf?

buddyholly
12-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Acabo de vivir alla desde 2004. Me voy a pasar la navidad con amigos.

Stensland
12-21-2009, 03:56 PM
ok, re my second round of questions: so you do celebrate christmas. you're not a true agnostic then, i guess. good for you. :)

Har-Tru
12-21-2009, 04:04 PM

buddyholly
12-21-2009, 04:06 PM
1. since you're an agnostic, do you celebrate christmas?

2. i take it you grew up christian, ever considered "switching" instead of becoming an agnostic? (islam, buddhism etc.)

3. do you plan to retire in costa rica/somewhere sunny?

4. what was the "wildest" (meaning far away, most exotic) country you ever worked in?

5. do you own a gun? if so, why?

6. given that you've been away from ireland for quite some time, do native english speakers still easily recognize your accent?

1. Everyone is an agnostic, so for me the word is meaningless. But everyone should know which option he thinks best. I am firmly atheist. Of course I celebrate Chrismas with friends, but not religiously.
2. Already answered in 1.
3. I am retired. I will see how Canada works out as a permanent residence. No-one will insure me medically so I need to maintain Canadian residency (5 months out of 12).
4. I did not actually work in many countries. Dominican Republic was the most fun. For a visit, clearly Papua New Guinea. A friend's daughter was the first ever female bush pilot there, so I have spent time with stone-age tribes.
5. Don't think I have ever even touched a real gun.
6. People usually ask me, and then say, ''Ahh, I thought I detected something''. Last person to ask was Patricia Clarkson, who I met in a hotel during the Canadian premiere of "Cairo Time."
7. I hope not.

buddyholly
12-21-2009, 04:11 PM
ok, re my second round of questions: so you do celebrate christmas. you're not a true agnostic then, i guess. good for you. :)

No, really. Forget that word agnostic. I am 100% atheist. I do not ''celebrate'' Christmas in any religious sense. I just eat, drink and enjoy the merriment. I am not a grinch. I am comfortable in my atheism, not one of those people who cares how others live their lives.

Aloimeh
12-21-2009, 09:52 PM
1.) Are you past middle age?

2.) How often per day/week/month do you contemplate death?

3.) Do you speak Gaelic?

4.) What would you think/do if you discovered that the foundations of paleontology were a load of garbage/baloney?

5.) What would you think/do if you discovered that Einstein was a perverse fraud?

6.) What is your line of work (or was prior to retirement)?

7.) What do you think of Rrrainer? Be honest (as always).

8.) Are you married and do you have any children? What do they think of you?

9.) Favorite book?

10.) Favorite movie?

11.)Why are you obsessed with me?

cobalt60
12-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Buddy baby I wish I had thought of this thread. Hats off Rainer :hatoff: You have been such an enigma and on the first page I have found out more about you then pm's over almost 5 years.
Ok I have no questions. I will wait until you return. Enjoy Costa Rica for the holidays. Think of me freezing my ass off and not celebrating anything.

buddyholly
12-21-2009, 10:27 PM
1.) Are you past middle age?

2.) How often per day/week/month do you contemplate death?

3.) Do you speak Gaelic?

4.) What would you think/do if you discovered that the foundations of paleontology were a load of garbage/baloney?

5.) What would you think/do if you discovered that Einstein was a perverse fraud?

6.) What is your line of work (or was prior to retirement)?

7.) What do you think of Rrrainer? Be honest (as always).

8.) Are you married and do you have any children? What do they think of you?

9.) Favorite book?

10.) Favorite movie?

11.)Why are you obsessed with me?

1. Depends how long I have left to live. Odds are yes, though.
2. There's nothing to contemplate.
3. No
4. Get rich and famous with my discovery.
5. Nothing. The universe would still obey his laws no matter how he got them.
6. Big bad miner.
7. Like him a lot. Wish he would laugh at my teasing more. When he states for the ''n''th time that he is not going to respond to PD any more, he is just being played by PD.
8. No, I prefer life out of a suitcase, with no fixed possessions or responsibilities. I'm like George Clooney.
9. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.
10. Nashville by Robert Altman.
11. Not obsessed. But fascinated by the mind of someone that actually claims to know who will go to heaven and who will go to hell. You sound so hateful of other peoples' lifestyles that I find myself hoping you are putting us on.

Aloimeh
12-21-2009, 10:45 PM
1. Depends how long I have left to live. Odds are yes, though.
2. There's nothing to contemplate.
3. No
4. Get rich and famous with my discovery.
5. Nothing. The universe would still obey his laws no matter how he got them.
6. Big bad miner.
7. Like him a lot. Wish he would laugh at my teasing more. When he states for the ''n''th time that he is not going to respond to PD any more, he is just being played by PD.
8. No, I prefer life out of a suitcase, with no fixed possessions or responsibilities. I'm like George Clooney.
9. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.
10. Nashville by Robert Altman.
11. Not obsessed. But fascinated by the mind of someone that actually claims to know who will go to heaven and who will go to hell. You sound so hateful of other peoples' lifestyles that I find myself hoping you are putting us on.

1.) What was your most impressive find, personally or that of your group (I'm assuming you have a group)?
2.) What sort of person does it take to do the "passion" jobs like paleontology, archaeology, zoology, marine biology, etc. - where there is not a huge prospect of making lots of mone/ton of stability?
3.) Are you content with your decision to be single and itinerant?
4.) Do you have siblings?
5.) What is your relationship like with your parents and/or siblings?
6.) Did you grow up with religion or without? Were you always a sceptic or was it a "sudden decision"? Or do you just never feel a need/presence of God?
7.) What are your hobbies?
8.) As you look back, are you more-or-less satisfied with life or is there some unfulfilled need or desire that awaits completion?

PS: I'm honest. It is the real me on MTF.

buddyholly
12-21-2009, 11:17 PM
1.) What was your most impressive find, personally or that of your group (I'm assuming you have a group)?
2.) What sort of person does it take to do the "passion" jobs like paleontology, archaeology, zoology, marine biology, etc. - where there is not a huge prospect of making lots of mone/ton of stability?
3.) Are you content with your decision to be single and itinerant?
4.) Do you have siblings?
5.) What is your relationship like with your parents and/or siblings?
6.) Did you grow up with religion or without? Were you always a sceptic or was it a "sudden decision"? Or do you just never feel a need/presence of God?
7.) What are your hobbies?
8.) As you look back, are you more-or-less satisfied with life or is there some unfulfilled need or desire that awaits completion?

PS: I'm honest. It is the real me on MTF.

1. A small, but very economic gold deposit. Most geologists never discover anything, so I beat the odds there.
2. Dedicated to their science, I suppose. I admire them, but didn't have the passion. I preferred reading novels to more research papers.
3. Yes
4.Yes
5. I go back to Ireland to see them regularly. They are happy in their domestic lives and I am happy in mine.
6. Religion is big in Northern Ireland. But most people go to church to avoid being noticed as ''different.''. They never give religion a thought other than who was at church in a new hat. As soon as I felt safe enough to say I was an atheist, I did.
7. Tennis, bridge, scuba, food, travel.
8. Like everyone here, I regret being lazy. I never aspired to the corporate ladder, but regret not leaving more of a published legacy. And at the same time I don't regret reading all those novels, so it sort of cancels out.

Stensland
12-21-2009, 11:57 PM
1. you say you're gonna celebrate christmas with friends in costa rica. are they "indigenous" (no the real indigenous ones obviously) costa ricans or people like you, coming over to enjoy the climate/beaches/nature/food?

2. why costa rica and not, say, florida or the bahamas? is it a price-thing?

3. I have spent time with stone-age tribes.

what do you mean? did you really "communicate" with them, try to understand their world or just walk through their kibbuz like "hey, how's it going" and then mind your business? were they friendly? i take it they had had some sort of contact with the outside world before you guys came over, right?

4. did you work for for a company we know? like, anglo american or bhp billiton?

5. has your life been affected by the financial crisis in any way?

6. published legacy what do you mean? scientific articles, books?

7. this one got lost on the last page: did you vote for harper?

8. since you mentioned your clooney-esque features: is there a place where you feel "at home"?

9. is ricky gervais really that big in the new world? it seems like he's on american/canadian (the only one i know is strombopoulos or whatever he's called) tv shows every effing week, letterman, leno, stewart, etc. - even though he's not even IN the american version of "the office" and all of his hollywood endeavors bombed.

*edit: 10. what do you generally invest in? commodities? stocks? bonds?

merry christmas, mate. :)

buddyholly
12-22-2009, 12:22 AM
1. you say you're gonna celebrate christmas with friends in costa rica. are they "indigenous" (no the real indigenous ones obviously) costa ricans or people like you, coming over to enjoy the climate/beaches/nature/food?

2. why costa rica and not, say, florida or the bahamas? is it a price-thing?

what do you mean? did you really "communicate" with them, try to understand their world or just walk through their kibbuz like "hey, how's it going" and then mind your business? were they friendly? i take it they had some sort of contact with the outside world before you guys came over, right?

4. did you work for for a company we know? like, anglo american or bhp billiton?

5. has your life been affected by the financial crisis in any way?

6. what do you mean? scientific articles, books?

7. this one got lost on the last page: did you vote for harper?

8. since you mentioned your clooney-esque features: is there a place where you feel "at home"?

9. is ricky gervais really that big in the new world? it seems like he's on american/canadian (the only one i know is strombopoulos or whatever he's called) tv shows every effing week, letterman, leno, stewart, etc. - even though he's not even IN the american version of "the office" and all of his hollywood endeavors bombed.

10. what do you generally invest in? commodities? stocks? bonds?

merry christmas, mate. :)

1. They are non-Costa Ricans who are permanently settled there, with children married to Ticos.
2. I have just spent 6 years living there. That is where my friends are. It is more like a visit than a vacation. I don't know anyone in the Bahamas.
3. We slept in their villages and hiked through the mountains with local guides for about 10 days at a time. No, we were not first contacts, but through the bush pilot girl we were able to make trips that the regular tourist would not be offered. Making landings in small planes on short runways on a mountainside. Scary! The girl said all the pilots do it for one reason only - the adrenaline rush. All flights into the bush are still made by missionary planes.
We were mutually curious about each other. They still fight with neighbouring tribes, but knew we were no threat to their pigs and potato patches. Most memorable I think was the old lady with no fingers. They chopped one off every time a family member died. The custom has died out now. Not a very good idea when the females do all the work and the men loll around camp making hair decorations and penis gourds for their own wardrobes. The pigs were cooked in a pit under hot stones. The men ate the pork and the women got to suck the fat off the grass that lined the cooking pit. In some ways they are a very advanced society.
4. Only one big one. It was eventually taken over by Xstrata, Swedish I think.
5. I can survive the recessions. I am 100% recovered from the last one, and expected it would take into 2010 to get back to normal.
6. Scientific articles on the deposits I worked on.
7. I have not voted in Canada. You have to be a resident.
8. I have felt at home everywhere, except Cuba and Honduras.
9. I don't watch talk shows, so have never seen Gervais over here. Except when he was very funny at some awards show. They really ought to give him the Oscars to host, but they are probably too scared.
10. Canadian Oil trusts and Canadian banks have been good.

Merry Xmas.

Back on Jan 5.

Henry Chinaski
12-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Entertaining thread. I've a few questions but they can wait. have a good trip.

buddyholly
12-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Entertaining thread. I've a few questions but they can wait. have a good trip.

Oh, I thought you were going to express your surprise that two people actually asked a question.
It's 2.49am, yawn.

R.Federer
12-22-2009, 09:03 AM
The only spotlight I couldn't resist.

How old are you, what do you look like, why the hell did you name yourself after buddy holly (assuming that you are not born to a Mr. and Mrs. Holly who called their son "Buddy"), what was the last great relationship you had, what do you look for in a significant other, where did you do your schooling, where do you work (broad area), and have you ever deigned to visit Switzerland?

bokehlicious
12-22-2009, 09:09 AM
and have you ever deigned to visit Switzerland?

I recall he said he's already been in Crissier by Freddy Girardet back in the day...

Stensland
12-22-2009, 02:36 PM
1. do you like gaelic football more than regular football?

2. are you fan enough to get really carried away when you watch a tennis match, yelling, screaming, fistpumping etc.?

3. what do you think of actionjackson aka georgewhitler? i don't know what to think of him, he's too slippery to get. whenever i think i figured him out, he's getting away.

4. have you ever met an inuit in canada? did your job take you to northern countries as well (arctic circle, polar ice etc.) or was it just southern countries?

5. so you never touched a gun even though you've been with potentially dangerous tribes like the one in papua-new guinea?! what did you guys bring along to defend yourself, how did you know those people weren't gonna eat you?

6. I have felt at home everywhere, except Cuba and Honduras

why honduras? were you there during the coup (this spring, i think)?

7. does costa rica experience any sort of gang violence, the kind of violence that's plaguing pretty much every other country in central america plus mexico, colombia and some others?

8. do you think quebec should be able to secede?

9. have you ever worked in a country where a civil war was going on (dom. rep maybe?)?

10. did you ever nick some minerals you had found? :D

R.Federer
12-22-2009, 04:13 PM
I recall he said he's already been in Crissier by Freddy Girardet back in the day...

Back in the day....how old does that make Buddy?

prima donna
12-22-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm surprised buddyholly responded to this question, as he normally comports himself as an adult. In any event, I can assure you of one thing: the only difference between my parlance and writing is, well, I'm far more concise when speaking. The lexicon remains unchanged. I'm not going to dumb myself down for 20-year-olds on an Internet forum, especially given that any well-educated person sees nothing out of the ordinary about my verbiage.

I know, it really makes no sense for any normal person to frequent this forum, but I rather enjoy stirring the cauldron of trouble. I am in no position to use slang and tasteless jokes in my daily life, as I would lose not only my clients but my wife as well.

You will become better acquainted with my last point should you ever embark upon an actual career.

Har-Tru
12-22-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm surprised buddyholly responded to this question, as he normally comports himself as an adult. In any event, I can assure you of one thing: the only difference between my parlance and writing is, well, I'm far more concise when speaking. The lexicon remains unchanged. I'm not going to dumb myself down for 20-year-olds on an Internet forum, especially given that any well-educated person sees nothing out of the ordinary about my verbiage.

I know, it really makes no sense for any normal person to frequent this forum, but I rather enjoy stirring the cauldron of trouble. I am in no position to use slang and tasteless jokes in my daily life, as I would lose not only my clients but my wife as well.

You will become better acquainted with my last point should you ever embark upon an actual career.

oh for fuck's sake. :rolls:

alfonsojose
12-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Had u ever :aplot: with another guy?

alfonsojose
12-22-2009, 05:33 PM

Do you have a wife :eek: ?

JolánGagó
12-22-2009, 05:34 PM
comedy gold :rolls:

Stensland
12-22-2009, 05:37 PM
comports...parlance...verbiage...cauldron...

that's four words hardly anybody uses in a regular conversation unless you live in a british country club.

again, i have no problem with the way you post, but i'm afraid i wouldn't be able to stop laughing if you talked like that in real life. ;)

prima donna
12-22-2009, 05:42 PM
oh for fuck's sake. :rolls:
Case in point -- this sort of humor can appeal only to drug-addled 20-year-old minds.

Bibberz
12-22-2009, 05:43 PM
that's four words hardly anybody uses in a regular conversation unless you live in a british country club.

Um, no. Those words are all unremarkable.

Stensland
12-22-2009, 05:46 PM
see, these kind of responses are exactly why i think you're just playing a role here. it seems like you have some sort of playbook next to you.

i have no idea why you'd do it, but the internet is full of loons anyways, who knows what you're trying here. you're a mystery.

Stensland
12-22-2009, 05:47 PM

who has ever mentioned "verbiage" in a casual converstion with you? "parlance"? "cauldron"? be honest.

prima donna
12-22-2009, 05:49 PM

again, i have no problem with the way you post, but i'm afraid i wouldn't be able to stop laughing if you talked like that in real life. ;)
Cauldron and verbiage are common. The former could probably be found in an essay written by a 13-year-old. I'm Italian, so parlance comes naturally for me (parlare is the verb form of speak in Italian, commonly used).

As for your last remark, it is doubtful that our paths would ever cross in "real" life. I don't pretend to be superior to anyone, but you do not quite fit the bill in terms of what I would consider a suitable acquaintance.

Stensland
12-22-2009, 05:56 PM
The former could probably be found in an essay written by a 13-year-old.

i'd say 17-yo, alright, but i see you've figured out my main point: in a written essay, exactly! that's where you need to prove your knowledge, where you get grades and stuff. do you feel like you need to prove yourself here, like you desperately need to set yourself apart? if so, how's your self esteem doing?

As for your last remark, it is doubtful that our paths would ever cross in "real" life. I don't pretend to be superior to anyone, but you do not quite fit the bill in terms of what I would consider a suitable acquaintance.

to me you're nothing more than an avatar. why would you wanna ruin the illusion by meeting me? :wavey:

Har-Tru
12-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Case in point -- this sort of humor can appeal only to drug-addled 20-year-old minds.

It's not humour mate, it's a spontaneous expression. :)

You would have probably filled two whole paragraphs of stuck-up mumbo-jumbo to express the same thing but hey, it takes all sorts.

Bibberz
12-22-2009, 06:01 PM
who has ever mentioned "verbiage" in a casual converstion with you? "parlance"? "cauldron"? be honest.

The vast majority of my friends are educated. We use words like these in casual conversations. "Cauldron" might be exceptional because it is seldom used to refer to an actual cauldron, but "parlance" and "verbiage" are fairly basic words.

You need to understand the difference between verbosity (i.e. using too many words) and word selection. PD arguably has a 'problem' with the former on MTF, but his word selection is usually fairly precise.

Stensland
12-22-2009, 06:11 PM
The vast majority of my friends are educated.

so am i. i don't understand pd's notion that anybody who doesn't succumb to his uppity style is an idiot anyways. normally people who rely on overblown diction simply conceal something.

you other points re pd have been talked about endlessly on non-mtf.

prima donna
12-22-2009, 06:12 PM
do you feel like you need to prove yourself here, like you desperately need to set yourself apart? if so, how's your self esteem doing?
You've missed the point. Cauldron is a 10-cent word that could be used by a middle-schooler.

to me you're nothing more than an avatar. why would you wanna ruin the illusion by meeting me?
The illusion exists only within the confines of your imagination. Further, mine is not an aversion to MTFers. I wouldn't mind meeting someone like, say, buddyholly. He seems well-learned, and I doubt that he would do anything to irreparably damage me. Not sure if you're aware of this, but one who chooses to live in a building on the east coast is subject to the whims of a co-op board.

I would probably return to find my belongings on the sidewalk were I to ever bring a German socialist anywhere near my home. Actually, I think bringing a German anything (including a German shepherd) would be sufficient to draw the ire of my neighbors.

Har-Tru
12-22-2009, 06:18 PM
:haha: Priceless stuff.

Bibberz
12-22-2009, 06:19 PM
so am i.

Okay. I believe you.

i don't understand pd's notion that anybody who doesn't succumb to his uppity style is an idiot anyways. normally people who rely on overblown diction simply conceal something.
No comment.

you other points re pd have been talked about endlessly on non-mtf.I was trying to underscore your apparent inability to recognize the difference between verbosity and word selection; I'm not sure that's been talked about endlessly before. It doesn't matter. We're done here.

:wavey:

Stensland
12-22-2009, 06:19 PM
The illusion exists only within the confines of your imagination. Further, mine is not an aversion to MTFers. I wouldn't mind meeting someone like, say, buddyholly.

yes, you would. don't lie to me. you don't wanna meet any mtf'er.

He seems well-learned, and I doubt that he would do anything to irreparably damage me.

do you even realise how offending most of your posts are? i mean, do you just not care? :confused:

Not sure if you're aware of this, but one who chooses to live in a building on the east coast is subject to the whims of a co-op board.
I would probably return to find my belongings on the sidewalk were I to ever bring a German socialist anywhere near my home. Actually, I think bringing a German anything (including a German shepherd) would be sufficient to draw the ire of my neighbors.

thank god germans are more open-minded than your neighbours. :)

prima donna
12-22-2009, 06:28 PM
yes, you would. don't lie to me. you don't wanna meet any mtf'er.
And why not ? There are three or four people worth meeting on this forum. I won't deny that I enjoy inciting anger here, but I have nothing to hide. Actually, if you would like to hear my voice, add me to your MSN account: fabriziopelucchi@hotmail.com.

We can enjoy a quick chat.

do you even realise how offending most of your posts are? i mean, do you just not care?
That's the point. Obviously!

Stensland
12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
pm.

octatennis
12-22-2009, 06:42 PM

see, these kind of responses are exactly why i think you're just playing a role here. it seems like you have some sort of playbook next to you.

i have no idea why you'd do it, but the internet is full of loons anyways, who knows what you're trying here. you're a mystery.

Cauldron and verbiage are common. The former could probably be found in an essay written by a 13-year-old. I'm Italian, so parlance comes naturally for me (parlare is the verb form of speak in Italian, commonly used).

i'd say 17-yo, alright, but i see you've figured out my main point: in a written essay, exactly! that's where you need to prove your knowledge, where you get grades and stuff. do you feel like you need to prove yourself here, like you desperately need to set yourself apart? if so, how's your self esteem doing?

to me you're nothing more than an avatar. why would you wanna ruin the illusion by meeting me? :wavey:

It's not humour mate, it's a spontaneous expression. :)

You would have probably filled two whole paragraphs of stuck-up mumbo-jumbo to express the same thing but hey, it takes all sorts.

The vast majority of my friends are educated. We use words like these in casual conversations. "Cauldron" might be exceptional because it is seldom used to refer to an actual cauldron, but "parlance" and "verbiage" are fairly basic words.

You need to understand the difference between verbosity (i.e. using too many words) and word selection. PD arguably has a 'problem' with the former on MTF, but his word selection is usually fairly precise.

shut the fuck up!! this is about frankie. sorry buddyholly.

Stensland
12-22-2009, 07:53 PM
but frankie left us to go somewhere sunny. :sad:

prima donna
12-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Maybe PD would like a spotlight thread? :shrug:
Go for it. I don't leave the office for two hours or so.

Aloimeh
12-22-2009, 09:45 PM
The problem of primadonna is that he is insufficiently intelligent to realize that language's purpose is communication. One's language is adapted, within limits, to one's interlocutor's abilities. If he wishes to convey something to 90% of the people on these boards, he must select appropriate vocabulary and sentence structure.

His pretentious and peripatetic palaver not only alienates those who do not know his words nor are able to parse his sentences, but also exposes himself to the ridicule of those who do know his words and can analyze his sentences, because they know that behind the gossamer of words there is no substance.

His "veiled" reference to a NYC building inhabited by Germanophobic Jewish yuppies was most unsuccessful in evoking anything other than derision in my bosom and, undubitably, in Rrrainer's also.

buddyholly
12-23-2009, 07:37 PM
do you even realise how offending most of your posts are? i mean, do you just not care? :)

Rrainer, I already said that you fall victim to PD´s verbal barbs every time. You can´t help yourself.

buddyholly
12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
but frankie left us to go somewhere sunny. :sad:

But I am still watching you. Yes, the sun and warmth are sooo good, right now.

buddyholly
12-23-2009, 07:50 PM
The only spotlight I couldn't resist.

How old are you, what do you look like, why the hell did you name yourself after buddy holly (assuming that you are not born to a Mr. and Mrs. Holly who called their son "Buddy"), what was the last great relationship you had, what do you look for in a significant other, where did you do your schooling, where do you work (broad area), and have you ever deigned to visit Switzerland?

I´m retired. Don´t look too bad. I go to the gym, play tennis and in my heart I think I´m still 18.

I am stuck in the 50´s and Buddy Holly is still the king of rock and roll to me.

The last great relationship was a 10-year relationship with an American teacher, who taught in school that successfully mixed the kids of foreign employees with the kids of local Dominican employees. I think it was the first school outside the US to be given full US accreditation. The school was run by nuns who enjoyed weekend trips to the casinos and merengue clubs of Haiti!! But back to the relationship: my girlfriend didn´t want to marry and get tied down to one place and neither did I. So it worked beautifully.

I went to university at Queen´s, Belfast; Imperial College, London and University of Toronto.

I am now retired. After a few years in Northern Manitoba, Canada I found I could live and work in the Caribbean, so the choice was a no-brainer. I chose the Caribbean.

I made a few trips to Crissier to worship at the temple of Girardet.

Stensland
12-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Rrainer, I already said that you fall victim to PD´s verbal barbs every time. You can´t help yourself.

well, but you're implying he goes at me (or others) on purpose, in order to get us going. i think it's just his nature. the purpose thing plays a rather tiny role.

or he's doing it even more dead pan than you.

buddyholly
12-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Had u ever :aplot: with another guy?

Sex in Thailand is sometimes like a box of chocolates. Until you take the wrapper off you can not be sure there even is a box.

R.Federer
12-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Sex in Thailand is sometimes like a box of chocolates. Until you take the wrapper off you can not be sure there even is a box.

You're soooo cute. Have a good one under the sunny skies.

Stensland
12-23-2009, 09:10 PM
1. do you like gaelic football more than regular football?

2. are you fan enough to get really carried away when you watch a tennis match, yelling, screaming, fistpumping etc.?

3. what do you think of actionjackson aka georgewhitler? i don't know what to think of him, he's too slippery to get. whenever i think i figured him out, he's getting away.

4. have you ever met an inuit in canada? did your job take you to northern countries as well (arctic circle, polar ice etc.) or was it just southern countries?

5. so you never touched a gun even though you've been with potentially dangerous tribes like the one in papua-new guinea?! what did you guys bring along to defend yourself, how did you know those people weren't gonna eat you?

why honduras? were you there during the coup (this spring, i think)?

7. does costa rica experience any sort of gang violence, the kind of violence that's plaguing pretty much every other country in central america plus mexico, colombia and some others?

8. do you think quebec should be able to secede?

9. have you ever worked in a country where a civil war was going on (dom. rep maybe?)?

10. did you ever nick some minerals you had found? :D

>>>

Aloimeh
12-23-2009, 09:11 PM
I´m retired. Don´t look too bad. I go to the gym, play tennis and in my heart I think I´m still 18.

I am stuck in the 50´s and Buddy Holly is still the king of rock and roll to me.

The last great relationship was a 10-year relationship with an American teacher, who taught in school that successfully mixed the kids of foreign employees with the kids of local Dominican employees. I think it was the first school outside the US to be given full US accreditation. The school was run by nuns who enjoyed weekend trips to the casinos and merengue clubs of Haiti!! But back to the relationship: my girlfriend didn´t want to marry and get tied down to one place and neither did I. So it worked beautifully.

I went to university at Queen´s, Belfast; Imperial College, London and University of Toronto.

I am now retired. After a few years in Northern Manitoba, Canada I found I could live and work in the Caribbean, so the choice was a no-brainer. I chose the Caribbean.

I made a few trips to Crissier to worship at the temple of Girardet.

You threw away a 10 year relationship just because neither could make compromises?

cobalt60
12-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Frankie?

alfonsojose
12-23-2009, 10:19 PM

I need to go there :devil:

cobalt60
12-23-2009, 10:21 PM

:lol: I assume then that once you take the wrapper off, and take a bite you can't put it back;)

alfonsojose
12-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Frankie?

:shrug: :confused:

cobalt60
12-23-2009, 11:23 PM
:shrug: :confused:

People keep calling him that. He has never shared his real name with me;)

Stensland
12-24-2009, 12:07 AM
i'm sticking to frankie. suits him well.

Stensland
12-24-2009, 10:19 PM
guess what i got for christmas, frankie...

you're damn right, it is the book "our choice: a plan to solve the climate crisis" by al gore. i'll send it over to you when i'm done, no biggy.

buddyholly
12-26-2009, 07:18 PM
i'm sticking to frankie. suits him well.

Frankie just appeared in this thread, I think. It is not me, but it is my father and eldest brother.

buddyholly
12-26-2009, 07:20 PM
guess what i got for christmas, frankie...

you're damn right, it is the book "our choice: a plan to solve the climate crisis" by al gore. i'll send it over to you when i'm done, no biggy.

Always be careful what you pray for. Gore is a modern day Don Quijote - just tilting at wind turbines.

Aloimeh
12-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Always be careful what you pray for. Gore is a modern day Don Quijote Goebbels - just tilting at wind turbines.

Fixed.

buddyholly
12-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Fixed.

And you should be!

Aloimeh
12-26-2009, 07:41 PM
And you should be!

Have any formaldehyde?

Har-Tru
12-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Göbbels tilted at wind turbines?

Aloimeh
12-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Mixed metaphors. The Nazis were quixotic, in a way.

buddyholly
12-28-2009, 09:16 PM

He didn´t have the balls.

cobalt60
01-13-2010, 11:33 PM
1. Name all the tennis tournaments you have been to in the last 5 years.
2. What was your favorite and why?
3. If you had to go back to being a working man again would you do anything differently?
4. Any regrets in life or do you never think about that stuff?
5. Which country do you prefer living in and why?
6. What country could you not stand? ( forget Cuba as I know how you fell about it)
7. Did you ever have any desire to have children? And why your answer?
8. Favorite era of men's tennis?
9. Do you even like women's tennis?
10. What did you think of Bobby Riggs?

Henry Chinaski
01-13-2010, 11:45 PM
were your parents atheists as well?

did you get the fuck out of NI as soon as you were old enough?

was there any specific reason you got an Irish passport?

what part of NI are you from?

buddyholly
01-14-2010, 12:30 AM
1. Name all the tennis tournaments you have been to in the last 5 years.
2. What was your favorite and why?
3. If you had to go back to being a working man again would you do anything differently?
4. Any regrets in life or do you never think about that stuff?
5. Which country do you prefer living in and why?
6. What country could you not stand? ( forget Cuba as I know how you fell about it)
7. Did you ever have any desire to have children? And why your answer?
8. Favorite era of men's tennis?
9. Do you even like women's tennis?
10. What did you think of Bobby Riggs?

1. Miami, Toronto, Copa de Cafe, San Jose. Because I was working overseas it was never easy to attend a tournament. I did taqke vacation in June though, so that my Visits to Ireland co-incided with Wimbledon on TV. I spent one day at Wimbledon, got onto Centre Court at 8.30pm after a day standing in lines. Never again.
2. I love Miami, the fifth slam, and I can buy a ticket every day and sit in the front row on Granstand, where they put the Latino players. Much better than a high seat in the Main Stadium to watch one-sided matches. When the tournament progresses to where there is not a full 14 hours of play a day, I go home and watch TV.
3. I don't think so. I didn't have to work in an office and I got to travel.
4. Don't really think about it.
5. Costa Rica was great because of the climate. Toronto is nice for now, because all my working life I was only visiting big cities on vacation. We will see as the winter grinds on.
6. Honduras. Too dangerous.
7. No. There is no why. If you don't have the desire then there is no wondering why not. Maybe because I am an atheist I have no sense of continuity.
8. Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Edberg and Lendl, of course - the Golden Age.
10. I liked it in the era of Martina and Chris. I met Pam Shriver and Zina Garrison in Cuba.
11. Nothing.

buddyholly
01-14-2010, 12:35 AM
were your parents atheists as well?

did you get the fuck out of NI as soon as you were old enough?

was there any specific reason you got an Irish passport?

what part of NI are you from?

1. Non-Subscribing Presbyterians.
2. I probably studied geology knowing that emigration was essential.
3. Because the privilege was to be phased out after the Accord.
4.Down, a small town with the only metal stocks remaining in the British Isles.

cobalt60
01-14-2010, 07:00 PM
1. Can't wait to hear your take on the Toronto winter. How do you think you will do?
2. What made you decide to live in Toronto? ( hubby's fav city in the world)
3. What would I like most about Toronto?
4. In retirement what do you do daily to keep life enjoyable? ( remember this question comes from a workaholic :( )
5. Do you play tennis?
6. If you do how well do you play?
7. What is your idea of the perfect date?
8. Do you have a favorite real life story you'd care to share?
9. Do you belong to a political party? If so which one? And do you vote in every election?
10. Do you have a favorite state in the USA you'd like to visit again? Why? And what state have you never been in but want to see one day?

buddyholly
01-14-2010, 08:44 PM
1. Can't wait to hear your take on the Toronto winter. How do you think you will do?
2. What made you decide to live in Toronto? ( hubby's fav city in the world)
3. What would I like most about Toronto?
4. In retirement what do you do daily to keep life enjoyable? ( remember this question comes from a workaholic :( )
5. Do you play tennis?
6. If you do how well do you play?
7. What is your idea of the perfect date?
8. Do you have a favorite real life story you'd care to share?
9. Do you belong to a political party? If so which one? And do you vote in every election?
10. Do you have a favorite state in the USA you'd like to visit again? Why? And what state have you never been in but want to see one day?

1. Just fine. I am downtown, on the lake shore, a couple of blocks from all of underground Toronto.
2.Had to recover my Canadian residency. I did post-grad in Toronto, so was already familiar with the city. Sometime this year I will check out Vancouver.
3.Almost everything is downtown and it is safe to walk all night. A car is not necessary, would be an expensive liability.
4. I enjoy a morning newspaper on my doorstep for the first time in 35 years. Sometimes I am not finished until afternoon. I have a gym in my building and I play tennis at a club with a winter ''bubble'' on the courts. I have lots of movies to catch up on via DVD. I am near a great market, St. Lawrence. I like just looking at all the high quality meat, cheese and seafood that I did without in other countries.
5. Answered.
6. Good for my age, I think. I can still beat the young guys who follow the Agassi creed that style is everything or something like that and look very stylish as they double fault. For me, a heavily sliced backhand that bounces into the opponent's belly rather than onto his waiting racquet, floats my boat. (Santoro is my idol.) Main problem now is mobility.
7. Best possible dinner and maybe theatre. Assuming you don't mean the ideal date partner! If she is more interested in how ''cool'' the restaurant is rather than how good the food is, there wouldn't be a second date.
8. On the barrier reef one day we were pinned against the reef by an enormous whale shark, that came in so close that it was looking at us with one big eye. It stayed about five minutes until one of us could not resist leaving the reef and stroking a fin, at which point it slowly swam off. About the only reason I can think of to use the word awesome without exaggerating.
On another dive the shark feeding got out of control and a ball of excited sharks rolled through our lookout spot, knocking us about.
Once in a lifetime dive adventures are my favourite memories.
9. I don't belong to a party and have never even voted, because I have been abroad.
10. I love California and in a month or two I will do the coastal drive from SF to LA. Never did that before.
I was in Salt Lake City, but haven't seen the rock formations of the state, such as Bryce Canyon. Something I must do.

Stensland
06-25-2010, 09:49 PM
1. if you were the president of the united states and pentagon officials would propose a violent coup d'etat to oust chavez in venezuela, orchestrated by the cia - would you be up for it?

2. how much of the building boom in costa rica and panama is solely down to money laundering of drug cartels? percentage-wise please.

3. with all the ups and down in the irish economy over the last 10-20 years, where do you see ireland in 2015?

4. do you support the english team in south africa?

5. is "soccer" a big deal in the canadian media these days? is it mentioned at all? i always felt like canada's even better than the united states at ignoring world cups.

Har-Tru
06-26-2010, 03:06 AM
1- What do you think about nationalism?

2- Why are white countries so rich, and black countries so poor?

3- What kind of accent do you have? Irish? Canadian? Mixed?

4- What is your stance regarding Quebec's independence?

WarriorA
06-26-2010, 03:58 AM
1. How would you describe your rate of usage and overall need for mental/emotional defense mechanisms?

2. What is your perspective on possessions?

3. When was the last time you experienced embarrassment? Please give details of the situation and your response.

4. What is your favorite type of cheese?

buddyholly
06-26-2010, 11:42 AM
1. How would you describe your rate of usage and overall need for mental/emotional defense mechanisms?

2. What is your perspective on possessions?

3. When was the last time you experienced embarrassment? Please give details of the situation and your response.

4. What is your favorite type of cheese?

1) What kind of psychobabble is that? I don't understand the question. I just get on with things. Of course I am an atheist, so have no emotions.

2) I like to be mobile, so avoid possesions other than the complete Buddy Holly collection and a tennis racquet. Food and travel get my money, hardly what you would call possessions.

3) I am over 65 and don't have to be embarrassed anymore. We call it a ''senior moment'' and move on.

4) I recently discovered Saint Felicien, a French soft cheese with a pungent kick. I am addicted. I recommend it with a Chateau D'Yquem.

buddyholly
06-26-2010, 12:00 PM
1. if you were the president of the united states and pentagon officials would propose a violent coup d'etat to oust chavez in venezuela, orchestrated by the cia - would you be up for it?

2. how much of the building boom in costa rica and panama is solely down to money laundering of drug cartels? percentage-wise please.

3. with all the ups and down in the irish economy over the last 10-20 years, where do you see ireland in 2015?

4. do you support the english team in south africa?

5. is "soccer" a big deal in the canadian media these days? is it mentioned at all? i always felt like canada's even better than the united states at ignoring world cups.

1) No, if the Venezuelans can't do it themselves, that's their problem.
2) Panama looks weird, all these skyscrapers standing empty. I was not aware of a building boom in Costa Rica. It is very different ftrom Panama.If you were to see San Jose you would realise that the Ticos are going it alone, without much drug money flowing in.
3) Probably 50% back to pre Celtic Tiger days. But not having lived there for 43 years I don't think or know much about Irish economic affairs.
4) Yes, against Germany and Argentina. But I would root for a Cinderella team if they have a match with England. However, chances for that are almost gone.
I want the USA to do well and boost football in N. America. Being ranked 14th they have already exceeded expectations by winning their group. And apart from Donovan, Dempsey and Howard they are not household names. But they are a nice team, without Prima Donnas rolling around on the ground whining to the ref. I find that refreshing.
5) Canadian soccer is mostly ignored. But in Toronto with all its ethnic groups the WC is huge. The national TV channel shows every game live in high definition, shutting out ESPN. Today and tomorrow is the G20. I assume the leaders will determine world policy depending on how their team is doing. Expect France and Italy to throw their toys out of the pram.

buddyholly
06-26-2010, 12:09 PM
1- What do you think about nationalism?

2- Why are white countries so rich, and black countries so poor?

3- What kind of accent do you have? Irish? Canadian? Mixed?

4- What is your stance regarding Quebec's independence?

1) I am very nationalistic now. Why not, I am lucky enough to have Canadian citizenship.

2) A lot of it has to do with latitude.

3) No Canadian yet, I have only been here 8 months, eh, apart from 5 years in the 60's. (But I spent most of those 5 years in the Canadian north working with fellow immigrants from Europe. The Canadian citizens preferred the city life, so I was not much exposed to the Canadian accent.)
When I tell people I am originally from Northern Ireland they usually say ''Aaaah, so that's it. I could just hear it.

4) Probably a dead issue now. It would be foolish. There was a very rare earthquake on the Quebec-Ontario border last Wednesday. Someone tweeted that ''finally, Quebec is separating.''

buddyholly
06-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Why the renewed interest? I was all prepared this weekend to report from Ground Zero at the G20. But in reality there are so many cops on the streets that downtown is like a Sunday.

I have heard so many activists saying that they are here to represent the ''people'' and protest the world's leaders who are only representing the rich capitalists. I have not heard one of them acknowledge that all the principal leaders were in fact elected by the ''people.'' Such self-righteousness.

Only security breach so far is that an out-of-town cop had his computer and riot gear stolen from his room by a prostitute, when he nodded off after sex. She has been arrested and police are satisfied that she did not know what was in the suitcase she liberated from the cop. At least when he woke up he did not find himself handcuffed to the bed.

WarriorA
06-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Thank you for your responses.

Follow-up questions:

1) What kind of psychobabble is that? I don't understand the question. I just get on with things. Of course I am an atheist, so have no emotions.

Which came first, the lack of emotions or your atheism? Also, how are the two related? This is the first that I've heard someone make this association.

Stensland
06-27-2010, 07:38 PM
how gutted are you today? and who are you gonna root for in the quarters (ger-arg)?

andy neyer
06-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Where did you get your clownish poltical viewpoints from? ;)

buddyholly
06-28-2010, 12:04 AM
I studied the writings of bilbo and habibko at the Belfast madrasah.

Ask the same question without the smilie and the answer could be different.

buddyholly
06-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Thank you for your responses.

Follow-up questions:

Which came first, the lack of emotions or your atheism? Also, how are the two related? This is the first that I've heard someone make this association.

Well that was a joke of course. I was trying to make make a joke about the people who think that failure to believe in ghosts shows a lack of emotion. I focus my emotions on real things, not fairy tales.

buddyholly
06-28-2010, 12:20 AM
how gutted are you today? and who are you gonna root for in the quarters (ger-arg)?

Not gutted at all. I haven't actually had any since the Hand of Gaul. I share a language with the English, not much else. Now it is the choice of two evils, but I was in Cuba when Maradona was there living in relative luxury and giving the proverbial finger to the opressed Cubans with his pal Fidel. Supposedly he was there to be rehabilitated from his drug addiction, but I imagine Fidel was able to give him what he ''needed'' at the time. In return he seems to have made a devil's pact with Fidel to act as a stooge for him in South America.
So in the choice of two evils, I would get the biggest laugh seeing Maradona fall on his face.

And although I love the game of football, the rolling around by the cheating prima donna players, the ineptitude of refereeing and the bufoonery of the executives has made it just another big business. Maybe I should just get a collection of George Best tapes and rerun those. I really would like to see this WC get more absurd by the day.
Did you know that youtube now has a vuvuzuela button? You can watch videos and have vuvuzuelas drown out the soundtrack. Maybe that will be the legacy of this WC, - the universal vuvuzuela button.

As for potential winners how come nobody talks about Holland? I would like them to win as a sort of reward for their body of work over the last 40 years. I was in Holland when they lost the final to Germany in 1974. Didn't get to see Amsterdam in full party mode. I blame Germany for that.

WarriorA
06-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Well that was a joke of course. I was trying to make make a joke about the people who think that failure to believe in ghosts shows a lack of emotion. I focus my emotions on real things, not fairy tales.

Joke or not, I’m still wondering how in the hell that association is made - If not by you, then by the people who said it first that you’re making the joke about. I can’t quite find the logic in (or even make up crazy talk about) such a direct connection between the experience of emotion and religiosity/spirituality.

After that, all I can say now is thank God I included the question about cheese.

Har-Tru
06-29-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm sure the question has already been made and answered, but were you born a Protestant or a Catholic?

buddyholly
06-29-2010, 12:46 AM
I can’t quite find the logic in (or even make up crazy talk about) such a direct connection between the experience of emotion and religiosity/spirituality.

Well, there is no proof that there is a god, so I would say that religious belief is just an emotion, one that I don't have. But perhaps I am confusing emotion and belief.
It may have all been put in my mind by a good friend's wife, who has known me for 40 years and yet announced during dinner that people who could not ''feel'' the presence of god were not as good as those who could. So I was getting at that opinion of some people that failure to have a religion indicated a person without emotional feelings.

WarriorA
06-29-2010, 02:08 AM
It may have all been put in my mind by a good friend's wife, who has known me for 40 years and yet announced during dinner that people who could not ''feel'' the presence of god were not as good as those who could.

Now, that is crazy talk. I’m quite creative but couldn’t conjure anything of that magnitude. Emotions are happy, sad, embarrassed, frustrated, angry, jealous, etc. Feeling (that is “experiencing”) the presence of God is an entirely different construct. I think it would be better defined as an (intangible) event with which one (as in some) has an emotion associated.

I’ve never considered atheism, but might just to spite her.

buddyholly
06-29-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm sure the question has already been made and answered, but were you born a Protestant or a Catholic?

When I was born I don't think I had any religion at all. But my parents were Protestant. Unitarian actually, which my friends in the US say is practically the same as atheist.

I was in my early teens when I began to realise that almost the entire population of Northern Ireland was stuck in the mire of religion.

buddyholly
06-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Now, that is crazy talk. I’m quite creative but couldn’t conjure anything of that magnitude. Emotions are happy, sad, embarrassed, frustrated, angry, jealous, etc. Feeling (that is “experiencing”) the presence of God is an entirely different construct. I think it would be better defined as an (intangible) event with which one (as in some) has an emotion associated.

I’ve never considered atheism, but might just to spite her.

I was just winging it on this topic. I guess my real feeling is that religion is neither an emotion nor an event. It is just an accident of birth. I assume about 99% of people who practice religion practice the religion of their parents. For me that is overwhelming statistical proof that practising religion is no more than conforming without bothering to think.

Har-Tru
06-29-2010, 02:19 PM
When I was born I don't think I had any religion at all. But my parents were Protestant. Unitarian actually, which my friends in the US say is practically the same as atheist.

I was in my early teens when I began to realise that almost the entire population of Northern Ireland was stuck in the mire of religion.

You know what I meant...

would you say your being born and raised in Northern Ireland gave a boost to your determined atheist views?

buddyholly
06-29-2010, 05:06 PM
You know what I meant...

would you say your being born and raised in Northern Ireland gave a boost to your determined atheist views?
No, I don't think so. It had nothing to do with rejection of Northern Ireland style religion.

It was the realization that the concept of a superior, supernatural being was beyond reason. I would not be a good debater for atheism. For me there is nothing to debate. If you can't see it, hear it, touch it, taste it or smell it, then clearly it's not there.

Har-Tru
06-29-2010, 05:17 PM
What about if you can feel it?

Just kidding, don't want to start this discussion again.

buddyholly
06-29-2010, 08:32 PM
What about if you can feel it?

Just kidding, don't want to start this discussion again.

Neither do I. It might be a bannable topic.

However, ''feel it'' is synonymous with ''touch it.'' Your use of the word is as something abstract, which certainly is a use that could be applied to religion.

WarriorA
06-29-2010, 11:11 PM
I guess my real feeling is that religion is neither an emotion nor an event.

That's actually a thought.

I don't think that religion is an emotion or an event either. I think that experiencing (or "feeling") the presence of God is an intangible event (similar to a sensation) but definitely different from religion. My meaning is similar to what you write below (as in something abstract):

However, ''feel it'' is synonymous with ''touch it.'' Your use of the word is as something abstract, which certainly is a use that could be applied to religion.

However, for the sake of semantic accuracy, I disagree that "feel it" is synonymous with "touch it" just as "itch" is not synonymous with "scratch." Although often used interchangeably, one is a sensation and the other an action.

Neither do I. It might be a bannable topic.

Good. I'm just itching for an infraction.

cobalt60
06-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Well, there is no proof that there is a god, so I would say that religious belief is just an emotion, one that I don't have. But perhaps I am confusing emotion and belief.
It may have all been put in my mind by a good friend's wife, who has known me for 40 years and yet announced during dinner that people who could not ''feel'' the presence of god were not as good as those who could. So I was getting at that opinion of some people that failure to have a religion indicated a person without emotional feelings.

Yikes!
Wish someone had bumped this thread sooner. Then I would have remembered you lived in Toronto and hunted you down;)

Stensland
06-30-2010, 04:44 PM
And although I love the game of football...

what style of football do you like? you mentioned holland, is the total football kind of thing during the 70s the way football should be played? do you like the tactical approach of italy etc. better?

abraxas21
03-03-2011, 01:54 AM
okay, we've had our share of heated discussions about the israeli-palestinian conflict so now it's time for a more friendly exchange for a change... :)

1- have you ever thought about going back to live in northern ireland?

2- is your direct family more favourable to keep Ulster british, seek its independence or to annex it to the republic?

3- do you personally hope that one day the whole of Ulster will be part of the republic? why?

4- best place in the world to find good beer at reasonable prices?

5- did you ever feel discriminated for your (lack of) religion or your backgrounds in NI?

6- what's your ethinicity?

7- what's your opinion on the orangemen in NI?

8- with which country in the world do you identify more right now?

9- best place in the island of ireland?

10- best country in the UK?

cheers

buddyholly
03-03-2011, 11:50 AM
okay, we've had our share of heated discussions about the israeli-palestinian conflict so now it's time for a more friendly exchange for a change... :)

2- is your direct family more favourable to keep Ulster british, seek its independence or to annex it to the republic?

3- do you personally hope that one day the whole of Ulster will be part of the republic? why?

5- did you ever feel discriminated for your (lack of) religion or your backgrounds in NI?

cheers

1. No
2 Stay British
3 Hardly matters anymore, although the Republic seems more prone to wild economic swings.
4 I hate beer. Too proletarian.
5 No, but I left after university, was never in the workplace
6 Ethnicity? WASA, I suppose. White Anglo Saxon Atheist. My surname and place of birth suggests we could have been Hugenots that fled to Ireland to start the Irish linen industry.
7 Dinosaurs
8 Canada
9 West coast, Galway area.
10 No possible answer. It would have to be best country for each individual thing, like scenery, history, hospitality, etc

buddyholly
03-03-2011, 11:51 AM

cheers

What prompted you to drag out this old thread? Were you doing a search for ''buddyholly + monkey"? Be honest, now.

1. No
2 Stay British
3 Hardly matters anymore, although the Republic seems more prone to wild economic swings.
4 I hate beer. Too proletarian. Not bad for making fish batter, though.
5 No, but I left after university, was never in the workplace
6 Ethnicity? WASA, I suppose. White Anglo Saxon Atheist. My surname and place of birth suggests we could have been Hugenots that fled to Ireland to start the Irish linen industry.
7 Dinosaurs
8 Canada
9 West coast, Galway area.
10 No possible answer. It would have to be best country for each individual thing, like scenery, history, hospitality, etc

abraxas21
03-04-2011, 12:21 AM
interesting.

thanks

i've always been fascinated with ireland. great people and great country. i do think ulster should be part of the republic and that the british plantation was just about one of the worst thing the brits did to ireland but better not to engage in that discussion here... :)

buddyholly
03-04-2011, 02:06 AM
i do think ulster should be part of the republic and that the british plantation was just about one of the worst thing the brits did to ireland but better not to engage in that discussion here... :)

I remember way back at the very beginning of the ''troubles'' my friends in the Irish Republic saying that they wouldn't want Northern Ireland in the Republic anyway, they have problems enough. That was probably a more sensible view than anything the IRA had in mind.
But I wouldn't engage in any more discussion anyway - like all the Irish, I am sick and tired of it.

abraxas21
03-04-2011, 02:47 AM
yeah, i know... people are tired and that's understandable.

i know canada is your home now but do you prefer to say you're irish or british? i ask because at least here you've constantly referred to yourself as irish.

Seingeist
03-04-2011, 09:22 PM
1. Which currently active tennis players, if any, do you enjoy watching and/or rooting for?

2. Are there any players that you particularly dislike? If so, whom?

3. I have always found it strange (in a refreshing way) that a Canadian citizen is quicker to defend the United States on certain issues than many of the Americans in these forums, especially because a great deal of the Canadians that I have heard from seem none-too-fond of the US. Why are you different? :)

4. Prefer cats or dogs? (or neither, but that would put you at risk of seeming heartless)

5. Do you like any English or Irish poets?

6. Do you watch the WTA at all?

(probably more to come later)

buddyholly
03-05-2011, 01:50 AM
1. Which currently active tennis players, if any, do you enjoy watching and/or rooting for?

2. Are there any players that you particularly dislike? If so, whom?

3. I have always found it strange (in a refreshing way) that a Canadian citizen is quicker to defend the United States on certain issues than many of the Americans in these forums, especially because a great deal of the Canadians that I have heard from seem none-too-fond of the US. Why are you different? :)

4. Prefer cats or dogs? (or neither, but that would put you at risk of seeming heartless)

5. Do you like any English or Irish poets?

6. Do you watch the WTA at all?

(probably more to come later)

1. Raonic, obviously. Ferrer. O. Rochus. Nadal. Wish Santoro was still active.

2. Djokovic. Like a Rubber Ball, bouncy, bouncy............... He's not the only player with a heart, but he doesn't know it.
Federer is such a glamour diva, thinks his proper environment is with royalty. When he blogged once from Tokyo, it was pathetic.

3. All my associations with Americans have been positive. I wouldn't have much to post if I only defended Canada here, we are never accused of anything. Maybe by not being Canada-born I have not been infected by the Canadian inferiority complex everybody talks about.

4. I like fun dogs like Border Collies and hate useless dogs like Dachshunds. But my admiration is for cats - their independence, aloofness and general don't-give-a-s*^t attitude to humans - as long as they do their jobs and keep the food coming.

5. I have no feelings for poetry at all.

6. I spent a lot of time watching Evert, Navratilova and other players from that era. Today I avoid it.

buddyholly
03-05-2011, 01:54 AM
i know canada is your home now but do you prefer to say you're irish or british? i ask because at least here you've constantly referred to yourself as irish.

Well, if we are talking about something related to Ireland, I am Irish-born. I fall between two stools - I was born on the island of Ireland but under British jurisdiction.

But now I am a citizen of Canada and Canada is not just my home, it is my country.

Stensland
03-17-2012, 08:48 PM
how come you don't get a pension?

abraxas21
03-17-2012, 09:02 PM
pensions are too proletariat

buddyholly
03-17-2012, 10:00 PM
how come you don't get a pension?

I was not interested in a ''career'' with a big company.

I mainly worked for a number of mining 'juniors'' - small companies that don't pay pensions, but can make you rich from share options if you beat the odds and find something. Unfortunately I made my discovery in Cuba, where only the Castro's are allowed to get rich. My discovery is still in the ground. That pleases Castro more than having a small area of Cuba being economically self-sufficient. I suppose gold in Cuban soil is much the same thing to them as gold in a Swiss bank. They can take it out when they need it.

And after I got Canadian citizenship I worked abroad and do not qualify for a Canadian government pension.

tripwires
03-18-2012, 06:18 AM
What do you think of the song Buddy Holly by Weezer?

buddyholly
03-18-2012, 10:39 AM
What do you think of the song Buddy Holly by Weezer?

I don't have the ''face palm'' smilie or I would use it here.

If you watch the youtube video that shows the written lyrics you see that the words are really, really bad. However, a simple catchy tune and really bad lyrics can lead to a success of sorts. Bad lyrics that have to be squeezed into the tune stick in peoples' minds.
So if you listen to last year's video sensation ''Friday, Friday'' you will see that these two songs are very similar. They sound like nursery rhymes put to music. So bad they are almost good.

tripwires
03-18-2012, 03:42 PM
I don't have the ''face palm'' smilie or I would use it here.

If you watch the youtube video that shows the written lyrics you see that the words are really, really bad. However, a simple catchy tune and really bad lyrics can lead to a success of sorts. Bad lyrics that have to be squeezed into the tune stick in peoples' minds.
So if you listen to last year's video sensation ''Friday, Friday'' you will see that these two songs are very similar. They sound like nursery rhymes put to music. So bad they are almost good.

You can just type : facepalm : without the spaces, no?

:lol: "Why are these homies dissing my girl". Very poetic lyrics. But you're right, it's an irritatingly catchy tune and I shamefully admit that the song was stuck in my head all day and I have it in my phone. :facepalm: Thankfully I've never heard "Friday, Friday" and I wish to keep it that way.

buddyholly
03-19-2012, 03:03 AM
You have to check out ''Friday'' by Rebecca Black. Nobody can speak authoritatively of popular music if they have not seen it.

If you think those lyrics funny, how about "Today is Friday, yesterday was Thursday, tomorrow is Saturday and then comes Sunday?''

:facepalm:

buddyholly
03-19-2012, 03:10 AM
Oh wow, it worked. I can give brief, concise responses to to abraxas now

tripwires
03-19-2012, 03:49 AM
You have to check out ''Friday'' by Rebecca Black. Nobody can speak authoritatively of popular music if they have not seen it.

If you think those lyrics funny, how about "Today is Friday, yesterday was Thursday, tomorrow is Saturday and then comes Sunday?''

:facepalm:

The reputation of the song precedes it and I've seen those "lyrics" somewhere before. Gotta thank Rebecca Black for pointing that out to me - I wasn't very familiar with the sequence of the days in the week.

Oh wow, it worked. I can give brief, concise responses to to abraxas now

If you and abraxas21 were trapped in an elevator together how long do you think you'd last before you guys start going at each others' throats?

abraxas21
03-19-2012, 04:03 AM
You can just type : facepalm : without the spaces, no?

:lol: "Why are these homies dissing my girl". Very poetic lyrics. But you're right, it's an irritatingly catchy tune and I shamefully admit that the song was stuck in my head all day and I have it in my phone. :facepalm: Thankfully I've never heard "Friday, Friday" and I wish to keep it that way.

don't listen to him

that's actually a pretty good song and the lyrics are great. as in several weezer songs, the lyrics are not to be taken seriously -which is precisely the point.

tripwires
03-19-2012, 05:51 AM
don't listen to him

that's actually a pretty good song and the lyrics are great. as in several weezer songs, the lyrics are not to be taken seriously -which is precisely the point.

I think it's pretty catchy (it's still stuck in my head) but the lyrics are pretty crap in my opinion. ;) It's also the only Weezer song I know though.

buddyholly
03-19-2012, 03:26 PM
If you and abraxas21 were trapped in an elevator together how long do you think you'd last before you guys start going at each others' throats?

I wouldn't know who it was, but I'm fairly sure that even trapped in an elevator I would not have reason to speak to the person beside me.

alfonsojose
03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Buddyholly :hearts: :drool: ;)

cobalt60
03-19-2012, 10:44 PM
So do you like being retired and still enjoying Canada?
And look one of your fav folks came to post ( not me btw :lol: )

buddyholly
03-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Buddyholly :hearts: :drool: ;)

Do what do I owe this? RU going to Miami next week?

buddyholly
03-20-2012, 01:49 AM
So do you like being retired and still enjoying Canada?

Yes, I love the weather. I go to Miami on Wed, where the forecast is for 77 degrees. The forecast for Toronto is 79!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much for my winter break. But I will pack some warm clothing. And being gone for 10 days this thread will hopefully return to oblivion.

The prior years I enjoyed watching the ice form on Lake Ontario and then break into sheets and move with the wind. Every day a different view.
This winter there was not even enough ice for a gin and tonic.

Roger the Dodger
07-24-2012, 07:42 AM
You are one of the posters I enjoy reading, because one; you are mostly harmless, and two; your funny avatar stares down upon us with a mix of disdain and amusement, and I love that look. My questions are:

1. What do you think about the trolls on MTF these days? How do they compare with the trolls of yore?

2. Has Joyce influenced your thinking in anyway - especially in your decision to give up the Church?

3. How much money have you made? You can answer it this way if you don't want to disclose the real amount? - pennies/stack/pile/loads/shitloads/Swissbank + massive tax evasion?

4. If you are forced to share a room with either Hitler or Stalin and you have no option to choose otherwise, whom would you rather prefer for a roommate and why?

5. Ideal vacation: winter shack at a Hawaiian beach or summer treehouse in a Peruvian mountain?

buddyholly
07-24-2012, 10:39 AM
You are one of the posters I enjoy reading, because one; you are mostly harmless, and two; your funny avatar stares down upon us with a mix of disdain and amusement, and I love that look. My questions are:

1. What do you think about the trolls on MTF these days? How do they compare with the trolls of yore?

2. Has Joyce influenced your thinking in anyway - especially in your decision to give up the Church?

3. How much money have you made? You can answer it this way if you don't want to disclose the real amount? - pennies/stack/pile/loads/shitloads/Swissbank + massive tax evasion?

4. If you are forced to share a room with either Hitler or Stalin and you have no option to choose otherwise, whom would you rather prefer for a roommate and why?

5. Ideal vacation: winter shack at a Hawaiian beach or summer treehouse in a Peruvian mountain?

I looked up trolling in Wikipedia and it is defined as posting comments that are specifically designed to yank the chains of others. I usually say what I think, without thought of who it may offend or why, so that does not appear to be trolling. And since the posters on the internet are anonymous I don't see how it is possible to distinguish between a troll and a post. I think the mods are the worst trollers, making unfounded charges against their literary superiors.

My devout atheism is all my own work and an easy conclusion. Firstly, I can not conceive of a supernatural being, so there is absolutely no point in me considering the existence of one. Secondly, since it is obvious we natural beings can not prove the existence or non-existence of a supernatural being, then there is absolutely nothing to gain by wasting time wondering if there is one. Especially since it is fairly clear that if there is a supernatural being, then it obviously created the universe and then became bored with it, and doesn't play with it anymore. It is up to us and any other intelligent life to get on with running it ourselves.

Enough to consider it impolite to talk about it.

Probably Hitler, because I am not Jewish. And if Stalin were to find out that I had a bank account that I considered belonged to me and not the Party elite..................

Neither is ideal because they don't seem to offer much to do but lie around all day. I need restaurants.

Gagsquet
07-24-2012, 11:39 AM
How old are you?

buddyholly
07-24-2012, 12:16 PM
68 (physically)

tripwires
07-26-2012, 09:44 AM
What about mentally?

tripwires
07-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Have you had a Kinder Surprise yet?

buddyholly
07-26-2012, 11:10 AM
It will be a weekend treat.

buddyholly
07-26-2012, 11:12 AM
What about mentally?

My mental age is the same as my shoe size.

tripwires
07-27-2012, 01:44 AM
My mental age is the same as my shoe size.

I somehow doubt that. ;)

Roger the Dodger
11-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Buddy Boy! Its that time of the year again where you flourish.

Answer me these queries:

1. What do you think about the ACC contest?
2. What do you think about your first round match up: Abraxas?
3. Your take on Johnny Groove's return (after you had taken his departure for serious!)

Punky
09-09-2013, 01:58 PM
have u ever visited the middle east? if not, will u ever?

buddyholly
09-09-2013, 02:38 PM
I have been to Dubai to stay with my god-daughter.
I have "done" Egypt. Luxor and the Terracotta Army in China are the two most stunning things I have seen on my travels.
I visited Turkey, if that counts.
And I dived the Gulf of Eliat. The trip was supposed to be highlighted by the shark dive at Ras Muhammad, but after purchasing the trip and before it took place, the Israelis gave the Sinai back and Ras Muhammad was off limits. I remember the first night on board, moored in Eliat. Throughout the night there were loud booms in the water, and trying to sleep below decks was impossible. The crew assured us it was just a nightly practice to lob shells into the water to deter terrorists coming over from the Saudi side.

That trip was also memorable because I was living in the Dominican Republic at the time. My friends on the dive trip were coming from the US. Their plane arrived the day after mine, so there was no-one at the airport from the dive company when I got in to Tel Aviv.
So, here I was, a lone Irishman coming from the Dominican Republic at the height of the IRA campaign, with a suitcase full of Scuba gear and a ticket to Eliat for the following day!!!! I received the full treatment at the airport and was questioned for about four hours, over and over the same questions. All very polite, but over and over the same questions. Looking for a contradiction, I guess. Finally a representative from the dive company came out to the airport and confirmed I was on their trip.
So I was released and had a night in Tel Aviv. My strongest remembrance is that the following morning was the Sabbath and I was completely confused at the elevator stopping on every floor on the way down to breakfast.
After the dive trip we went to Jerusalem. My strongest memory in that area is our visit to Jesus' tomb (?). When the guide pointed to a small vertical gash in the wall and said it was where God sent down a bolt of lightning (?), I, as a geologist, felt compelled to point out that the rock was limestone, which dissolves easily in rain water and that the crack was a very normal geological feature of limestone. The priest, or whoever he was, called me all sorts of names for my blasphemy.

abraxas21
09-09-2013, 02:57 PM
If communist Cuba was so awful, how come you stayed there for 10 years?

Punky
09-09-2013, 03:06 PM
I received the full treatment at the airport and was questioned for about four hours, over and over the same questions. All very polite, but over and over the same questions. Looking for a contradiction, I guess. Finally a representative from the dive company came out to the airport and confirmed I was on their trip.

sorry ;) but if it help in a way This is not a "privilege" reserved only for tourists

So I was released and had a night in Tel Aviv. My strongest remembrance is that the following morning was the Sabbath and I was completely confused at the elevator stopping on every floor on the way down to breakfast.

must have taken u forever to arrive to get down.

did u travel outside and saw everything closed?

After the dive trip we went to Jerusalem. My strongest memory in that area is our visit to Jesus' tomb (?). When the guide pointed to a small vertical gash in the wall and said it was where God sent down a bolt of lightning (?), I, as a geologist, felt compelled to point out that the rock was limestone, which dissolves easily in rain water and that the crack was a very normal geological feature of limestone. The priest, or whoever he was, called me all sorts of names for my blasphemy.

lol cant say im shocked :haha:

when was it?

buddyholly
09-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Can not remember the year. Clearly the year Israel gave back Sinai. Late 70's early 80's.

Punky
09-09-2013, 03:11 PM
early 80S indeed (sorry i wasnt born then)

buddyholly
09-09-2013, 03:19 PM
If communist Cuba was so awful, how come you stayed there for 10 years?Because I am not Cuban!!!!! It was not awful for me.

I had money, vacations abroad, cars, full access to the grocery stores and restaurants that only operated with US dollars. Also access to tourist hotels that were banned to Cubans, access to the Internet that was banned to Cubans and full access to satellite TV that was banned to Cubans.
And full access to gasoline stations, that were actually banned to Cubans when I arrived. Eventually that changed when Fidel realized he might as well have those dollars that Cubans got from Miami rather than the black market that existed in gas stolen from the government.
And probably most importantly, access to the only acceptable hospital in Havana, which treats the party hierarchy. And that was only because it had the only dialysis machine operating in Cuba.

Not to mention the excitement of geological exploration in a country whose potential had been ignored for thirty years.
During the time the Soviet empire was managing Cuba there was no exploration. The Soviets' only interests in mining were to ransack the already existing nickel deposits.
Which is why Fidel had to enter into partnership with a Canadian company after the Soviets left. Someone had to restore the nickel processing facilities the Soviets had left in ruins.

And of course those fabulous beaches. Of course Cubans were generally kept away from the beaches beside the main resort areas.

abraxas21
09-09-2013, 05:52 PM
When did you leave Cuba?

buddyholly
09-09-2013, 05:56 PM

Punky
09-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Because I am not Cuban!!!!! It was not awful for me.

I had money, vacations abroad, cars, full access to the grocery stores and restaurants that only operated with US dollars. Also access to tourist hotels that were banned to Cubans, access to the Internet that was banned to Cubans and full access to satellite TV that was banned to Cubans.
And full access to gasoline stations, that were actually banned to Cubans when I arrived. Eventually that changed when Fidel realized he might as well have those dollars that Cubans got from Miami rather than the black market that existed in gas stolen from the government.
And probably most importantly, access to the only acceptable hospital in Havana, which treats the party hierarchy. And that was only because it had the only dialysis machine operating in Cuba.

Not to mention the excitement of geological exploration in a country whose potential had been ignored for thirty years.
During the time the Soviet empire was managing Cuba there was no exploration. The Soviets' only interests in mining were to ransack the already existing nickel deposits.
Which is why Fidel had to enter into partnership with a Canadian company after the Soviets left. Someone had to restore the nickel processing facilities that had been the Soviets had left in ruins.

And of course those fabulous beaches. Of course Cubans were generally kept away from the beaches beside the main resort areas.

i know it will sound "western" but this is awful

buddyholly
09-09-2013, 06:30 PM
must have taken u forever to arrive to get down.

did u travel outside and saw everything closed?

Well, I did not know then that it was forbidden to press an elevator button on the sabbath. So I reported it as being broken.

As for everything closed, I was brought up in Northern Ireland, where I am sure it was even more of a sabbath lockdown. So that did not surprise me.
In Northern Ireland a typical Protestant Sunday was to go to church, where the women made catty comments on the other women's Sunday clothes and the men nursed their Sunday morning hangovers.
Then everybody went home, had dinner and snoozed in front of the fire until it was bedtime.

Punky
09-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Well, I did not know then that it was forbidden to press an elevator button on the sabbath. So I reported it as being broken.

As for everything closed, I was brought up in Northern Ireland, where I am sure it was even more of a sabbath lockdown. So that did not surprise me.
In Northern Ireland a typical Protestant Sunday was to go to church, where the women made catty comments on the other women's Sunday clothes and the men nursed their Sunday morning hangovers.
Then everybody went home, had dinner and snoozed in front of the fire until it was bedtime.

wheres the traveling? its a day off...

buddyholly
09-09-2013, 07:10 PM
wheres the traveling? its a day off...i do not understand.

Punky
09-09-2013, 07:15 PM
why in a sunday they only go bto church and sleep while watching tv? its a free day no one is traveling the country?

buddyholly
09-09-2013, 08:59 PM
why in a sunday they only go bto church and sleep while watching tv? its a free day no one is traveling the country?
It is different now. And I exaggerated a bit. But when I was growing up there were no shops or bars open and no sports events were allowed. No cinemas. Yes, those with a car were able to go for a Sunday afternoon ride. But having your own car was a luxury. It was not that long after WWII, remember.
I was more commenting on the religious mentality, where doing things on the Sabbath was considered immodest.
Do they still operate the elevators automatically on the Sabbath in Israel or has that all changed as well?

Kowchi
09-10-2013, 01:21 AM
How did you get into tennis? Or who brought you in?

Punky
09-10-2013, 05:00 AM
It is different now. And I exaggerated a bit. But when I was growing up there were no shops or bars open and no sports events were allowed. No cinemas. Yes, those with a car were able to go for a Sunday afternoon ride. But having your own car was a luxury. It was not that long after WWII, remember.
I was more commenting on the religious mentality, where doing things on the Sabbath was considered immodest.
Do they still operate the elevators automatically on the Sabbath in Israel or has that all changed as well?

still but now theres two elevstors, one who works as usual.

i guess things were alot different in beurope after WW2, most ppl didnt have money or energy for nothing

buddyholly
09-10-2013, 10:43 AM
How did you get into tennis? Or who brought you in?
Not sure what you mean. I started when I was about 11 on a clay court that had been abandoned by a local church. Torn net, lead strip for line marker that sat up about 1cm above the clay, and collapsed perimeter fence. Ughhhhh! But we had fun.
I didn't really get serious court time until I lived in mining camps in the Caribbean. That was like having a private court in your back yard, as maybe only half a dozen people played. So it was tennis almost seven days a week after work. Paradise.

alfonsojose
09-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi, Silver fox :drool: :wavey:

buddyholly
09-10-2013, 02:52 PM
You've recovered from the DR?

Kowchi
09-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Not sure what you mean. I started when I was about 11 on a clay court that had been abandoned by a local church. Torn net, lead strip for line marker that sat up about 1cm above the clay, and collapsed perimeter fence. Ughhhhh! But we had fun.
I didn't really get serious court time until I lived in mining camps in the Caribbean. That was like having a private court in your back yard, as maybe only half a dozen people played. So it was tennis almost seven days a week after work. Paradise.

WOW!!! That is awesome, I've always wanted to play on a clay court.

Did you ever think about doing tournaments or trying to go professional?
Also what brought you to MTF?

buddyholly
09-10-2013, 11:04 PM
WOW!!! That is awesome, I've always wanted to play on a clay court.

Did you ever think about doing tournaments or trying to go professional?
Also what brought you to MTF?

I play on a clay court in Toronto in the winter now.

No, I am strictly a club player. Santoro was my favourite because I alive and die by the slice.

I retired to Costa Rica and was surfing for tennis sites with results.
I had just come from living in Cuba and at that time there was a Mexican poster called Jorge, a devoted communist. We argued for a few years and then he just disappeared one day.

Maybe he was reincarnated as abraxas.

Har-Tru
09-11-2013, 01:08 PM
I play on a clay court in Toronto in the winter now.

No, I am strictly a club player. Santoro was my favourite because I alive and die by the slice.

I retired to Costa Rica and was surfing for tennis sites with results.
I had just come from living in Cuba and at that time there was a Mexican poster called Jorge, a devoted communist. We argued for a few years and then he just disappeared one day.

Maybe he was reincarnated as abraxas.

You are insane.

Is it a red clay court?

buddyholly
09-11-2013, 02:35 PM
You are insane.

Is it a red clay court?
Yes, and it is also indoors, in a bubble. Inflated, heated bubbles cover most outdoor courts in Toronto in the winter.

Har-Tru
09-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Yes, and it is also indoors, in a bubble. Inflated, heated bubbles cover most outdoor courts in Toronto in the winter.

Oh, I see. They have those here as well, but clay courts are mostly abandonded in the winter.

alfonsojose
09-14-2013, 10:43 PM
You've recovered from the DR?

I loved it. The neighborhood where i stayed was awesome. And i played tennis with a MTF member :cool: