Abu Dhabi Exhibition 2010: December 31st - January 2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Abu Dhabi Exhibition 2010: December 31st - January 2

born_on_clay
12-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Official website:
http://www.capitalawtc.com/en/Home.aspx

Daily schedule:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1240/1xjw9jd2c0b6302d72bb202.jpg

Mimi
12-18-2009, 07:01 AM
thanks born on clay: Soldering, Roger, Davy, Tsongna, all rafa killa :scared:

born_on_clay
12-18-2009, 11:40 AM
thanks born on clay: Soldering, Roger, Davy, Tsongna, all rafa killa :scared:

You're welcome ;)

If Rafa is in form (and healthy) in my opinion only Roger (on all surfaces) ,Nole (clay and hard) and del Potro (hard) can posses a threat to Rafa

But according to the tournament in Abu Dhabi - have a positive attitude mimi - it's the beginning of the saeson, Rafa will be in form for sure :)

Foxy
12-18-2009, 07:50 PM
I am thinking of making a marathon of all 7 Rafa matches in AO 2009 during the holidays. :)

ImmzB
12-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Vamos Rafa!!

Xristos
12-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Watch Fed win this.

star
12-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Rafa should refuse to play next year.

Or maybe they won't have the money to pay out to make it worthwhile next year.

next year = 2011.

GhostUnholy
12-21-2009, 10:29 PM
why is he playing this exho, he doesn't need the money :confused:

Foxy
12-22-2009, 08:08 AM
why is he playing this exho, he doesn't need the money :confused:

To fine-tune his game before the start of the season. He will play 2 matches max. No big deal if you ask me.

tennizen
12-23-2009, 02:33 PM
He's playing two matches in total. It's silly to get agitated over that.

born_on_clay
12-23-2009, 03:48 PM
He's playing two matches in total. It's silly to get agitated over that.

And you can end injured in any match, so I can't see any rational (except for money of course) reason to play exhos - there are many tournaments during year to choose from

Foxy
12-23-2009, 10:12 PM
And you can end injured in any match, so I can't see any rational (except for money of course) reason to play exhos - there are many tournaments during year to choose from

You can get life-threatening injury while just practicing. Ask Blake.

born_on_clay
12-23-2009, 10:25 PM
You can get life-threatening injury while just practicing. Ask Blake.

Affirmative

But still I can't understand why Rafa is still playing this one.

Foxy
12-27-2009, 08:25 PM
I started rewatching all AO2009 matches. Currently I'm on Rafa - Haas 3rd round. There is only one word for Rafa's game. D-I-S-M-A-N-T-L-I-N-G == T-E-N-N-I-S!

GhostUnholy
12-27-2009, 10:09 PM
^I watched the 09 final yesterday on the Tennis Channel, I had forgotten how scary Rafa's form was in that tournament. Some of his forehand winners just don't look like possible shots

shawshank
12-28-2009, 10:35 AM
I watched yestarday Rafa vs Fed- final of AO and Rafa was just great. He had so many backhand winners. He played really ofensive tennis. His BH right now is terrible. I wish he could play one more time as good as he played then.

Foxy
12-28-2009, 06:44 PM
^I watched the 09 final yesterday on the Tennis Channel, I had forgotten how scary Rafa's form was in that tournament. Some of his forehand winners just don't look like possible shots

I watched yestarday Rafa vs Fed- final of AO and Rafa was just great. He had so many backhand winners. He played really ofensive tennis. His BH right now is terrible. I wish he could play one more time as good as he played then.

It's funny. He actually didn't play that good in the final cause he was dead tired obviously. The best match he played was against Verdasco, IMO the best in history by some margin. :):worship:

MariaV
12-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Tsonga is replaced by Ferrer.
# David Ferrer to replace injured Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at the Capitala World Tennis Championship. Read the full story at www.capitalawtc.com
about 1 hour ago from web

born_on_clay
12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Tsonga is replaced by Ferrer.

Nice to see Ferru there :)

Foxy
01-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Rafa won his SF against his buddy Ferru 7:6(3) 6:3.

Quick analysis.
Postive signs:
- overall quite decent play
- forehand and backhand down the line looking good
- nice variety
- service and volley good enough
- saved all break points
- played closer to the baseline taking the ball early in some points

Negative signs:
- looked jaded. I hope it is just the jet lag or the conditions
- at 2:2 first set after not so long rally started bending between points as if he can't breath well enough.
- sloppy play in the final few games
- looked unhappy despite the win

Next tomorrow is soda.

Seville
01-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Good analysis, Foxy.

Some online Spanish newspapers commented he is suffering from a mild depression. He looked quite melancholic on the last programme about him of Balearic TV (December 25th).His eyes sometimes went glassy when talking about his recent health and family problems.

And he is skinny and weaker.

Mixo
01-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Good analysis, Foxy.

Some online Spanish newspapers commented he is suffering from a mild depression. He looked quite melancholic on the last programme about him of Balearic TV (December 25th).His eyes sometimes went glassy when talking about his recent health and family problems.

Where have you read it, Savilla?

Seville
01-01-2010, 08:56 PM
In several sites (El Semanal Digital was one), but it was time ago and I can't remember the links. Well, yes, I remember this one:

http://www.elmundo.es/suplementos/magazine/2009/512/1247829239.html

They talk there about 'delicados momentos emocionales' (due to personal problems) and 'depresión del éxito' (due to the over effort to stay nº1 and the subsequent physical and mental collapse). Toni tries to play that down, logically enough. But he admits that is somewhat true when he says: «Yo se lo decía a Rafael: 'El tenis te puede ir muy bien, pero habrá cosas en la vida que no te irán igual y hay que estar preparado'»

Foxy
01-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Rafa kicked Soda's ass 7:6(3) 7:5.

Quick analysis.
Positives:
- Played even better today
- lowered ridiculous errors. Now you feel he can't miss
- interestingly looked fresher than yesterday
- looked happy after the win unlike yesterday
- the court is much faster than AO will be, so nice confidence boost for him. It is safe to say Soda will be much more vulnerable at AO and it won't be a problem to be in Rafa's part of the draw.

Negatives:
- still sloppy at times. Horrendous game when broken.
- still it was just an exho :)

Next Doha.

TennisOnWood
01-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Nice job today... of course,he can do better but this looks much better then his performance after US Open

Rafaseb
01-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Congrat Rafa :bounce:

Even if it was just an exhibition, Rafa has stopped the defeats serie against Robin and it's very good for the next tournaments.
And we can say the same thing for Soderling against Federer, now he knows how to play to beat Roger ! :lol:

And Rafa seems to be very fresh and stronger (and faster) than at the end of the last season ! :D

RAFA IS BACK ! :rocker2:
(and hope for a new world too :angel:)

greenhotchilipep
01-03-2010, 04:45 AM
Thanks Foxxy for comment

it so nice to see Rafa in momentum once again, the way he answered the the ceremony so nice to Soda.

Waiting new season with happiness.

Be healthy Rafa, you fighting.

MariaV
01-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Our baby Rafa finally has another trophy! :bigcry: :crying2: :sobbing:
And he looked happy enough. :o :shrug:

Hope things have turned for the better. In the videos of this programme that were posted in the videos thread he looked OK, of course these are tough things to talk about. Hopefully now the DC title and good performance in Abu Dhabi gave given him enough confidence for the future.