The Butler Did It [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Butler Did It

Kristen
09-03-2004, 05:41 AM
Ignoramus!
Insults my favourite guys, hmm.. how about we make the US open for US players only? Here's the article (http://www.timesledger.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12835353&BRD=2676&PAG=461&dept_id=542414&rfi=6). Maybe he needs to take up tennis :rolleyes:

The US Open kicked off Monday, bringing excitement - and fans - to Flushing for the first time this year. And, yes, that was a dig at this borough's professional baseball team.

Yes, the grounds of the National Tennis Center were buzzing for opening day of the final leg of tennis' Grand Slam. And on the courts were some of the most noticeable names in the sport. On the women's side there were Jennifer Capriati and Serena Williams while Andre Agassi, Todd Martin and Fabrice Santoro played.

Fabrice Santoro? Who's that guy?

Or how about Nicolas Kiefer, Igor Andreev, Paul-Henri Mathieu? They all played, too.

But don't fret. On Tuesday Alex Lopez Moron, Shinobu Asagooe, Joachim Johansson and Ivo Heuberger all took the court.

Huh?

That's the sorry state of men's tennis these days - when you need a pronunciation guide and a headshot to try to figure out who is featured.

It hasn't always been like this. No, just a few years ago the men's tour was bursting with personality, with charisma. There was John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker, Pete Sampras, Ivan Lendl, Jim Courier as well as a long-haired Agassi.

But now the only recognizable players on the men's tour, at least to the casual fan, are Agassi, Andy Roddick and perhaps James Blake. Knock those three guys out in the first week and you have the possibility of the always exciting Alexander Popp/Jurgen Melzer final on Sept. 12.

The women? Well, they're a different story. You have the Williams sisters - Venus and Serena - as well as their always-controversial father, Richard. There's Capriati, Lindsay Davenport, Anna Kournikova, Wimbledon winner Maria Sharapova and recent gold medal-winner and top-seeded Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Don't get me wrong, I actually love the Open. I've been to about 10 tournaments, first working as a stockboy through high school and now covering it as a member of the media. Sure, I've never had to pay for a ticket or take out a loan to buy a burger and a beer, but I love the pulse of the crowd, especially at night. I'd put watching a fifth set under the lights at Arthur Ashe Stadium up against any other moment in all of sports.

I've been fortunate enough to watch some of the best matches in Open history - I was in the upper deck for the Patrick McEnroe/Jimmy Connors first-round clash in 1991, as well as the Connors/Aaron Krickstein Labor Day battle the same year. Although it only went four sets, I was fortunate enough to witness the Sampras/Agassi match three years ago where neither player lost serve once in the four-set thriller.

Now the biggest thrill of the tournament comes when it rains and those classic matches are shown on the big screens throughout the grounds and to those watching at home.

What's even sadder is how those who run the tournament continue to depend on McEnroe. Last year they had him play Boris Becker before the women's final and this year they're honoring the Douglaston native with an on-court ceremony. It seems whenever they are looking for some excitement, they bring out old Johnny Mac again and again and again.

Why the change? There's a bevy of reasons. The players today with their light aluminum rackets hit the ball faster than a Roger Clemens' fastball. As a result, most of the men's players sit on the baseline, smacking the ball back and forth until someone makes an error. The days of the beauty of the serve and volley game - a game that the aforementioned McEnroe played brilliantly - are almost extinct.

Bring back the wood racket, try and build up some rivalries and please bring back the drop shot in the men's game. This way I won't have to do a rain dance to watch some really great tennis.

Reach Sports Editor Dylan Butler by e-mail at TimesLedger@aol.com or call 718-229-0300, Ext. 143.

trixy
09-03-2004, 05:48 AM
:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

God im sick of all these ppl stuck in the past. Apparently if Americans arent playing then nothing's interesting

Clara Bow
09-03-2004, 06:02 AM
I am constantly amazed at the number of ingorant jackasses who write about tennis who obviously no clue as to what they are talking about. It is just shamefully disrespectful. This guy isn't even saying anything new...he is just borrowing 3 year old arguements. And the women are better how??? He doesn't even say anything about them to back up his arguement.

. As a result, most of the men's players sit on the baseline, smacking the ball back and forth until someone makes an error.

Uh yeah...this guy has obviously never watched Roger Federer...well it appears from his pathetic piece of trite scribbling that he has never heard of him.

Zetlandsk
09-03-2004, 06:08 AM
Bemoaning the casual fan, maybe he needs to visit the other Slams, then again they might be out of his insular little mind.

lizabeth..*
09-03-2004, 07:07 AM
*snorts*

It's to be expected from the US media!

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 07:13 AM
Why am I surprised that this is an American article?

ataptc
09-03-2004, 07:22 AM
gee, that article was kinda rude to the non-american players :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lalitha
09-03-2004, 07:29 AM
But now the only recognizable players on the men's tour, at least to the casual fan, are Agassi, Andy Roddick and perhaps James Blake.

Oh, poor man. He does'nt recognizes any of the three GS winners this year. Blake who hardly played this year is recognizable.

Don't get me wrong, I actually love the Open. I've been to about 10 tournaments, first working as a stockboy through high school and now covering it as a member of the media.

And I suppose, all the 10 tournaments are from US Open series. :o

Dustbin stuff, simply.

ae wowww
09-03-2004, 07:45 AM
errr yes well done mate... you know what your talking about :confused: how did you get the write profressionally?!?! :eek:

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Lalitha get real. Bjorkman GIRL... not man.. is saying in america those players would be more accessible, and recognisable... jeez

While disrepecting anyone else that isn't American? This guy has lived up to the low standards I expect from journalists.

Kristen
09-03-2004, 07:49 AM
I guess he failed Geography at school. I'm going to email him.his editors. I wouldnt let such rubbish be posted. It would be an embarrassment to the company.

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 07:51 AM
I guess he failed Geography at school. I'm going to email him.his editors. I wouldnt let such rubbish be posted. It would be an embarrassment to the company.

He didn't take geography at school, it shows that any muppet can be a journalist. If I submitted that in a high school class, it would be told to be re-submitted.

Chloe le Bopper
09-03-2004, 07:59 AM
That article is so absurd that it's hilarious. Kournikova? :lol: A Popp/Melzer final? :lol: I really can't believe that it was intended to be taken as anything either than fluff crap meant for a few giggles.

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Troll journalists now, this just gets better.

SuperFurryAnimal
09-03-2004, 08:39 AM
Being a journalist myself I need to say something about this. I guess all this guy is trying to do is to provoke reactions like yours. That's what (some) journalists do, putting some oil on a fire that maybe isn't even there. He would be a good writer for the gossip media!

I guess he's just feeling frustrated that his fellow countrymen don't rule tennis anymore like they did in the old days, with Sampras, McEnroe, Connors. European and South-American players have closed the gap. I guess he only sees what he wants to see. Sad.

At least we can still enjoy tennis nowadays! Don't mind Frusty!

Kristen
09-03-2004, 08:41 AM
I've written to the address provided... and am awaiting a reply! I remained calm. It was hard, but I did it. My moments of weakness were when I took him too seriously, regarding Santoro. I think I may have been rather anti-American sounding in the letter. Really though, I'm not.. I'm just pro-rest of the world :yeah: if that makes sense!?

SuperFurryAnimal
09-03-2004, 08:42 AM
That definately makes sense!! :yeah:

WyveN
09-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Imagine these articles if Roddick wasnt around, they would be 10 times worse.

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 08:47 AM
Stop being alarmist WyveN, it would be the end of tennis wouldn't it? Speaking of that time to update another thread.

WyveN
09-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Stop being alarmist WyveN, it would be the end of tennis wouldn't it?

"tennis fans" would switch to bowling and deep lake fishing

SuperFurryAnimal
09-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Everytime has it's new stars... In Germany they also refer to the 'great three' (Becker, Graf, Stich) all the time. That time is over now, people! The current top-players are said to have no glamour or stardom at all. Well, so be it. Time moves on, generations move on.

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 08:51 AM
"tennis fans" would switch to bowling and deep lake fishing

Hog racing or hot dog eating contests.

WyveN
09-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Hog racing or hot dog eating contests.

Hot dog eating world champion is Japanese so the hot dog media is nostalgic about past generations as well

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Hot dog eating world champion is Japanese so the hot dog media is nostalgic about past generations as well

Yes, they must long for the good ol' days when the hot dog eating champ was an American.

joske
09-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Why am I surprised that this is an American article?

I heard a tennis journalist wrote that (okay this is about a female player but still) he didn't miss Kim Clijsters' game bc she always stays at the baseline to "admire her own shots"..... I'm sorry but I think Kim's the last person to be admiring herself on court or whatever... :mad:

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 08:59 AM
I heard a tennis journalist wrote that (okay this is about a female player but still) he didn't miss Kim Clijsters' game bc she always stays at the baseline to "admire her own shots"..... I'm sorry but I think Kim's the last person to be like admiring herself or whatever... :mad: anywho

As I said before knowledge is not essential to become a sports journalist, especially in the US when covering tennis.

joske
09-03-2004, 09:00 AM
depressing isn't it..? :sad:

G O
09-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Bjorkgirl,

It was a joke. A bad one, but a joke.

The saddest thing is that you guys are taking this seriously. Wake up friends.

Kristen
09-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Bjorkgirl,

And that's fine. But for me, it would have been more amusing if it was less of a glorification of past American heroes, and an ignorance of current talents. :wavey:

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Yes, the mention of hog racing and hot dog championships have been the most serious things in this thread.

G O did you write that article?

SuperFurryAnimal
09-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Maybe a joke to you, but not to the rest of us... G O, could you tell us why the schedule at the US Open is so different from the schedules at the other Slams? I mean, Robredo vs Clement is a top match, right? Why is it scheduled on court 11 and is a match between (with all respect) Schiavone and Haynes on court Armstrong?? I just don't get it... :confused:

joske
09-03-2004, 09:16 AM
he's got you there, G O :p

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Maybe a joke to you, but not to the rest of us... G O, could you tell us why the schedule at the US Open is so different from the schedules at the other Slams? I mean, Robredo vs Clement is a top match, right? Why is it scheduled on court 11 and is a match between (with all respect) Schiavone and Haynes on court Armstrong?? I just don't get it... :confused:

Stop stating the obvious and someone in your capacity should know the Mr. Dollar and the TV networks run the US Open, come on that's as obvious as a desert has sand.

SuperFurryAnimal
09-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Yeah, but money and commercial tv run the other Slams too...

joske
09-03-2004, 09:24 AM
But to a lesser extent as the USO, no? I bet they'd even put commercials in between points if there were commercials that were short enough....

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Yeah, but money and commercial tv run the other Slams too...

No, but about it at least the others don't show such obvious favouritism and have a schedule that works, and are organised much better, and yes that is obvious.

SuperFurryAnimal
09-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Of course it's obvious... I just wish it wasn't so. But hey, I guess I am a little naïve... ;)

joske
09-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Well you're Dutch, so that's okay sweetheart :p j/k ;)

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Of course it's obvious... I just wish it wasn't so. But hey, I guess I am a little naïve... ;)

A dreamer, but if you are a journalist, then you should know this sort of thing and about editorial interference and manipulation of news to get a better spin on things or more exciting.

KarstenBraasch#1
09-03-2004, 10:02 AM
But now the only recognizable players on the men's tour, at least to the casual fan, are Agassi, Andy Roddick and perhaps James Blake. Knock those three guys out in the first week and you have the possibility of the always exciting Alexander Popp/Jurgen Melzer final on Sept. 12.

You CANNOT be serious. :lol:

But haven't we had exactly the same article a few months ago? :scratch: With different names of course. ;)

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 10:03 AM
You CANNOT be serious. :lol:

But haven't we had exactly the same article a few months ago? :scratch: With different names of course. ;)

Usually comes out during the claycourt season.

SuperFurryAnimal
09-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Yeah, that's what I said. I know what happens around, but I just wish it was different. Good topic for a story! I am a journalist on a smaller scale, not worldwide. Just regional, national. That's different. I still have a lot to learn, I know that. ;)

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 10:04 AM
A research project for you then Super.

SuperFurryAnimal
09-03-2004, 10:26 AM
haha, yes! I could make a huge career out of it! ;)

Layla
09-03-2004, 10:29 AM
:haha: :sad: :fiery: :banghead: :smash:

I don't know whether to laugh, cry or scream. Just when I thought I was used to everything, something even more ridiculous comes along. This article is so far out it might have been part of the Jon Stewart show. Who doesn't know Santoro? Kournikova? :lol: Popp/Melzer final? :lol: Waiting for errors, no drop shots, no mention of Federer... When was the last time this guy watched a tennis match? The 80's?

It pisses me off not only because it's insulting to just about every player on the tour (except the Americans of course) and to the game of tennis itself, but because I can't get a proper job while all these incompetent jerks go about making buckets of money for shitty work and laziness. The Yahoo tennis site is riddled with unnecessary mistakes, for instance.

Lalitha
09-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Yeah, that's what I said. I know what happens around, but I just wish it was different. Good topic for a story! I am a journalist on a smaller scale, not worldwide. Just regional, national. That's different. I still have a lot to learn, I know that. ;)

SFA, no offense to you - but I think you better be a reporter just like this, than learning something from the author of such articles. :)

amethyst
09-03-2004, 10:37 AM
We´ve had already several stupid articles saying more or less the same, but this is even more ridiculous than usual:

Yes, the grounds of the National Tennis Center were buzzing for opening day of the final leg of tennis' Grand Slam. And on the courts were some of the most noticeable names in the sport. On the women's side there were Jennifer Capriati and Serena Williams while Andre Agassi, Todd Martin and Fabrice Santoro played.

Fabrice Santoro? Who's that guy?

Or how about Nicolas Kiefer, Igor Andreev, Paul-Henri Mathieu? They all played, too.

But don't fret. On Tuesday Alex Lopez Moron, Shinobu Asagooe, Joachim Johansson and Ivo Heuberger all took the court.

Huh?

That's the sorry state of men's tennis these days - when you need a pronunciation guide and a headshot to try to figure out who is featured.

It hasn't always been like this. No, just a few years ago the men's tour was bursting with personality, with charisma. There was John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker, Pete Sampras, Ivan Lendl, Jim Courier as well as a long-haired Agassi.

Even in the glorious days of McEnroe there has been a 128-draw, so even then there must have been lesser known players who took the court :rolleyes: Besides that Shinobu Asagoe is a woman, so how can her presence reflect the sad state of men´s tennis????
And maybe the USO should give no access to foreign players at all, so stupid journalists don´t have to deal with the inconvinience of having to use a pronunciation guide :lol:

SuperFurryAnimal
09-03-2004, 10:52 AM
SFA, no offense to you - but I think you better be a reporter just like this, than learning something from the author of such articles. :)

Hi Lalitha :wavey:
This article is not an example for me. I learn from this how not to do it... ;)

Space Cowgirl
09-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Bjorkgirl,

No, what's sadder is that people reading this article in their newspaper will take it seriously and at face value. What a heap of horse manure that article is :(

Smankyou
09-03-2004, 12:56 PM
That writer is a wanker. He owes me two minutes of my life.

G.O., that joke must have gone right over my head. I'm not laughing.

Oh wait.... no... still not laughing.

Kristen
09-03-2004, 01:00 PM
:lol: Smankyou, I'm gonna have to good rep you when mtf allows me :rolleyes:
love the humour :)

Note: Jexy...another use of the word ;) Its great. Very descriptive of some people.

SuperFurryAnimal
09-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Besides that Shinobu Asagoe is a woman, so how can her presence reflect the sad state of men´s tennis????

Is that really in the article? :lol: I didn't see that quote before. Yeah, it's really in there! LMAO! :haha:
Well, that shows that this 'journalist' really knows sh*t about tennis, doesn't it??

~EMiLiTA~
09-03-2004, 01:04 PM
I wish these bloody ignorant American journalists would get over their own country, players and tournaments and take a greater interest in other nationalities and cultures. I could name many more interesting people to watch other than Agassi, Roddick or Blake. Notice how he tries to pick up on more random players with supposedly unpronouncable names to try and give his argument more weight...he could have mentioned Safin, Ferrero...but oh no, that would take away from his Godsent Americans...pfff...get over yourself and your country and get some broader tennis knowledge

KarstenBraasch#1
09-03-2004, 01:08 PM
LOL I didn't even realise that Shinobu Asagoe was mentioned as a male player. :haha:

joske
09-03-2004, 01:10 PM
LOL I didn't even realise that Shinobu Asagoe was mentioned as a male player. :haha:

LOL does that even need more comment..? :haha:

alfonsojose
09-03-2004, 01:25 PM
The players today with their light aluminum rackets

aluminum :eek: :rolleyes:

SuperFurryAnimal
09-03-2004, 01:28 PM
I guess the journalist is still stuck in the ancient time, with the big American players and their wooden rackets... :lol:

MisterQ
09-03-2004, 03:02 PM
You would think that with the emergence of Chinese NBA players, Japanese and Hispanic baseball players, et al., this guy could handle these "difficult" names.

Andre Agassi is not a prototypical "American" name either, btw. ;)

His statements make me uncomfortable because they remind me of certain xenophobic and anti-immigrant sentiments I have heard. (For example, the feeling that a real American should have a name like John Smith). I'm not saying the writer necessarily subscribes to these viewpoints, but there is a similarity of rhetoric.

Admittedly it may require a little effort to learn the pronunciation of a foreign name, but to equate that difficulty with a lack of interesting tennis is foolish.

Tennis Fool
09-04-2004, 04:39 AM
I've never heard of this paper. Who cares what this guy thinks.

Seraphim
09-04-2004, 05:50 AM
You would think that with the emergence of Chinese NBA players, Japanese and Hispanic baseball players, et al., this guy could handle these "difficult" names.

Andre Agassi is not a prototypical "American" name either, btw. ;)

His statements make me uncomfortable because they remind me of certain xenophobic and anti-immigrant sentiments I have heard. (For example, the feeling that a real American should have a name like John Smith). I'm not saying the writer necessarily subscribes to these viewpoints, but there is a similarity of rhetoric.

Admittedly it may require a little effort to learn the pronunciation of a foreign name, but to equate that difficulty with a lack of interesting tennis is foolish.

BINGO! NUFF SAID.

Lalitha
09-04-2004, 11:59 AM
aluminum :eek: :rolleyes:

I think this guy had suddenly come out of amnesia and wrote this article.