James Cameron's AVATAR (in cinemas across the world on dec 18th) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

James Cameron's AVATAR (in cinemas across the world on dec 18th)

Pages : [1] 2

Bilbo
12-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I think this movie deserves its own thread. Are you ready for the movie of the century?

Trailer: cRdxXPV9GNQ

Top5 of most successful movies of all-time:

1 Titanic $1,842.9
2 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119.1
3 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066.2
4 The Dark Knight $1,001.9
5 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone $974.7

My prediction: at least 2nd place with at least $1.2 billion.

The reviews for this movie are stunning. Probably as good as never before.

Sigourney :rocker2:

Certinfy
12-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Will defo be in the top 5, but beating Titanic? I don't think so.

Bilbo
12-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Will defo be in the top 5, but beating Titanic? I don't think so.

the commercials for this movie are huge. i could see $1.5 or $1.6 billion at the end though.

Ivanatis
12-11-2009, 11:00 PM
yet to be seen
hopefully he'll make a Dark Angel movie in the coming years
the show was cancelled in 2002 I think, but speculations that there will be a movie are existent until today

Stensland
12-11-2009, 11:30 PM
i'm say saying 600 mil. and that's a stretch. two key target audiences will be missing to make this one go through the roof: women and kids. no go, sorry james. i'll watch it though. :)

Kolya
12-12-2009, 04:29 AM
What is good about this movie? Why is there such a hype?

(Serious question, no sarcasm)

Garson007
12-12-2009, 06:33 AM
What is good about this movie? Why is there such a hype?

(Serious question, no sarcasm)
Ridiculous amount of money spent on CGI. Why it would be good though? I doubt it will. It's going to be entertaining - it's Cameron after all - but everything points to the story being pathetically mediocre. So basically a wow-factor movie.

~*BGT*~
12-12-2009, 07:07 AM
That movie looks retarded. Looks like a kid's film.

JMG
12-12-2009, 08:20 AM
I didn't even hear of this movie before. The trailer doesn't look interesting to me. :confused:

Ivanatis
12-12-2009, 08:54 AM
i'm say saying 600 mil. and that's a stretch. two key target audiences will be missing to make this one go through the roof: women and kids. no go, sorry james. i'll watch it though. :)

probably a valid point

never been a big fan of Weaver or the Alien movies, although I remember we watched them in class once our PE teacher had to substitute another teacher and nobody had his sports clothes with him

of course we were instructed to tell everybody we watched a vid about volleyball techniques or history of athletics etc.; I guess, in terms of age, we weren't even allowed to watch it back then:worship:

Bilbo
12-12-2009, 10:36 AM
never been a big fan of Weaver or the Alien movies, although I remember we watched them in class once our PE teacher had to substitute another teacher and nobody had his sports clothes with him

alien movies are the best ever made imo. even better than the lord of the rings trilogy.

Byrd
12-12-2009, 11:53 AM
This film really doesn't look that great apart from the CGI, 1.2 Billion Bilbo :lol: having a fucking laugh.

Garson007
12-12-2009, 12:07 PM
alien movies are the best ever made imo. even better than the lord of the rings trilogy.
I doubt that, then again I don't rate LotR movies all that well anyhow. :shrug: The book was pretty good, although imho not Tolkien's best work; The Silmarillion is much better - one of the best books I've read.

On topic though, I couldn't care about CGI and luminescent forests.

Bilbo
12-12-2009, 12:08 PM
This film really doesn't look that great apart from the CGI, 1.2 Billion Bilbo :lol: having a fucking laugh.

i wouldn't laugh yet. usually my predictions are very accurate. you'll be surprised, mate.

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

Bilbo
12-12-2009, 12:25 PM
however, at the end of the day it's the number of tickets sold which counts and not the $$$. that's why i'm not a fan of the $$$ list but of the "adjusted for inflation" list which represents the number of tickets (= number of viewers) sold. i think to beat gone with the wind you need something like $3 billion today. a number which is impossible to beat especially with the internet around.

Stensland
12-12-2009, 04:02 PM
another thing that might interfere with cameron's plans is the opening of "sherlock holmes". the two pictures will be facing off for some weeks, both going for the same kind of male audiences. i'm fairly sure downey and ritchie are gonna eat into cameron's sales to some extent.

Bilbo
12-12-2009, 04:34 PM
another thing that might interfere with cameron's plans is the opening of "sherlock holmes". the two pictures will be facing off for some weeks, both going for the same kind of male audiences. i'm fairly sure downey and ritchie are gonna eat into cameron's sales to some extent.

i don't think so. i haven't even heard of that movie until now.

Arkulari
12-12-2009, 05:26 PM
http://techland.com/2009/12/11/avatar-the-morning-after-why-this-geek-hopes-pandora-is-the-future-of-movies/

Avatar, First Look: Why This Geek Hopes Pandora is the Future of Movies

The first press screenings of Avatar were held late Thursday night, so naturally the reviews are flooding online today. We're dying to hear what TIME's film critic, Richard Corliss, thought of the whole thing – his review will be posted here in a day or two – and we're going to be publishing a lengthier roundtable discussion later this afternoon, about what worked and what didn't.

But aside from all the specifics, I had a few (spoiler-free) initial thoughts about something larger that I believe Avatar represents.

As a hard-core film geek, I've seen plenty of sci-fi posers. Films that lose their soul to special effects or mythology run amok. I'm talking about you, Phantom Menace, or you, Transformers 2. You look so good, you feel so flashy, but there's just nothing beneath the surface. No sense of wonder, no hint of discovery.

Avatar is selling itself as the future of cinema, and in one key way – after it rakes in hundreds of millions at the box office – I think it will prove to be just that. This is a movie that puts the focus not on wowing us with the same old effects sequences or star power, but with a whole new array of sensory experiences. We used to talk about computer effects being used in the service of a story; I think we will now start talking about computers being used towards creating the Immersive Moment. There were a few times in Avatar when I was on Pandora, in that jungle, at harmony with these new species that don't actually exist. Kinda creepy, actually, if you think about it.

Now I realize that in watching all the film's ads, and those initial confusing trailers, our collective skepticism has been dialed up to 11. We've grown wary about these funky blue aliens, about the value of this “revolutionary” 3-D look, about the convoluted back story required to get us to that blue moon in the Alpha Centauri system. The skepticism is healthy, but as far as I can tell, Cameron has made good on all his bets. We have a movie here built around 9-foot-tall fantasy creatures, but they nevertheless look completely believable and expressive. They exist in a fabricated universe that has all the weight, depth, complexity and diversity that is lacking from just about every other CG universe I've encountered.

But when Peter, Lev and I all sat down Thursday night with our 3-D glasses, annoyed at the thought of the 160-minute running time, I wasn't expecting the immersive entertainment that rolled out. This isn't a battle film at all. All those explosions you see in the ads? Those don't come for a good two hours. Up until then, it's a Dances With Wolves-like immersion in a culture, landscape and universe that is utterly, wonderfully foreign. But now imagine hearing the story of Dances With Wolves not as some distant chapter of history but if you were living in an East Coast city during the Civil War, unaware of what the frontier even looked like. Avatar builds the rules from the ground up, and part of the fun is learning the way the whole thing works.

There are moments here that rival the newness of the original Star Wars. We start learning about an ecosystem that functions in ways that no Earthly ecosystem could. We come to identify with an entirely new race, the Na'vi, that maneuver, think and love in ways that we don't initially understand. And Cameron, unlike the last George Lucas movies, doesn't sit there and spell it all out in some awful exposition; he uses his 3-D, and his main character, to throw audiences into the thick of things. All the while he presents the reality of the human world as a gray, sterile alternative, the ugly place that the our hero must return to when his blue body goes to sleep. My favorite moment of the entire film isn't an action sequence; it's a nighttime swim in a fluorescent lagoon. The shot lasts maybe two seconds. But the reason I'll be seeing Avatar again – and quite possibly again after that – is not to see anything resembling an attack of the clones, but to get lost in the pulse and pageantry of this intergalactic paradise.

But I digress: Most sci-fi blockbusters nowadays are about humans and the “spectacular others” dueling it out in Earthly settings. Humans battling transforming robots. Humans attacking aliens in District 9. Humans aboard the Starship Enterprise. And the sci-fi elements almost always build to an immense action sequence.

But Avatar might be the first film in which the “others” feel more spectacular than the "real" humans. And the CG sequences are not the asides, but the thrust.

Rather than a continued focus on bigger and badder explosions in Hollywood, here's my hope: That Avatar represents a step forward towards cinema's merging with video games, breathing life into new worlds that we can then experience on their own terms. Is Avatar a great film? I have no idea. But I believe that Avatar will stand as the proof that cinema can strive for something more nuanced and magical with its state-of-the-art technology.

Sure, you can blow up stuff real good, but now you can also invent something utterly new and unique, with a degree of realism that was once unthinkable.

The Avatar ads say “Movies will never be the same.” Well, maybe. What is certain, at the very least, is that a whole lot of movies are going to start feeling like inadequate experiences after this. Cameron, yet again, has set a new high-bar, for not only what can be done on the movie screen but also why it should be done. He's proven that movies can aspire to be so much more.

I can't wait to watch it :)

buddyholly
12-12-2009, 05:35 PM
WOW. The future of movies!!! What's that up there? It's 3D!!!!!!

Stensland
12-12-2009, 05:46 PM
i don't think so. i haven't even heard of that movie until now.

well, it's gonna be big nonetheless, sorry to break it to you. they're already planning a sequel.

buddyholly
12-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Robert Downey Jr. is one of the best actors around at the moment. He was superb as an alcoholic in that movie about the Zodiac killer. I am looking forward to Holmes, even if it is ''light''.

I like the ads over here for the Xmas opening: HOLMES FOR THE HOLIDAYS

Bilbo
12-12-2009, 06:01 PM
well, it's gonna be big nonetheless, sorry to break it to you. they're already planning a sequel.

if $300 million worldwide is big for you :shrug:

let me know how empty the cinema was if you go. i'll let you know how full the cinema was for avatar.

Hellraiser
12-12-2009, 06:19 PM
If i didn't watch last clips from South Park, I didn't knew about this movie too.

But I think only Cameron can beat himself in the best movie ever and the most valuable movie it's almost something very, very sure I'm on.

Stensland
12-12-2009, 06:29 PM
if $300 million worldwide is big for you :shrug:

let me know how empty the cinema was if you go. i'll let you know how full the cinema was for avatar.

percentage-wise it's gonna beat "avatar" fair and square anyways. i've never said it would come close to "avatar" in total numbers. but it's gonan eat into its success.

Robert Downey Jr. is one of the best actors around at the moment. He was superb as an alcoholic in that movie about the Zodiac killer. I am looking forward to Holmes, even if it is ''light''.

yeah downey is brilliant. "zodiac" was a great movie anyways, mostly due to fincher though (fight club, panic room, benjamin button etc.). i can't believe he's doing a flick about facebook now. how weird.

shotgun
12-12-2009, 09:48 PM

1 Titanic $1,842.9

My movies are more successful than yours.

Smoke944
12-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I was originally very skeptical but the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. Bilbo's right, like it or not, this is gonna be HUGE.

out_here_grindin
12-15-2009, 01:49 AM
I understand that it will be a huge movie but what exactly makes it possible that it can beat Titanic?

Ivanatis
12-15-2009, 01:58 AM
I understand that it will be a huge movie but what exactly makes it possible that it can beat Titanic?

there's no way it will, don't see it making the top5 either
I agree that the critics are really positive and that it will be a major success, but let's be honest: if it was by somebody else than Cameron, nobody would consider it to become an epic;
and at least in my opinion it's not that there is James Cameron and then there's everybody else :shrug:

DartMarcus
12-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Bandwagon movie of the Decade! :worship:
Can't wait to see it!

Machiavelli
12-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Look forward to it, but no way it surpasses Titanic;

RRainer has a point with Sherlock Holmes going out at the same time, will watch both...

Machiavelli
12-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Saew it last night;

Just amazing movie, Cameron outdid himself with this one; revolution of movies coming up for sure...

Def. must see......

zerocool_
12-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Saw it last night too, very good movie. It's quite predictable,but.. must see movie if you ask me :) And effects are incredibly good :)

Bilbo
12-18-2009, 10:31 AM
in 2 days i'm going to see it

Stensland
12-18-2009, 11:59 AM
sunday evening, 8 pm, yep.

according to the la times fox has invested over $150 mil to market the movie worldwide, on top of its original production costs of over $300 mil. that means "avatar" will need to make more than $800 mil to even make an overall profit from all costs (if we stick to the general hollywood rule of "50% plus", it'll even need to be close to $900 mil!)...

i think it's gonna be tough, no matter how great its word of mouth is.

Machiavelli
12-18-2009, 12:03 PM

according to the la times fox has invested over $150 mil to market the movie worldwide, on top of its original production costs of over $300 mil. that means "avatar" will need to make more than $800 mil to even make an overall profit from all costs (if we stick to the general hollywood rule of "50% plus", it'll even need to be close to $900 mil!)...

I was sceptic too, it will surpass 900 mil $ easily; spectacular movie...

MJ angel
12-18-2009, 12:13 PM
I dont like those kind of films usualy . Above all , i dont like blockbusters films with huge comercials to incite people to go to watch it ..

But i have always thought that James Cameron is a workoholic director , he couldnt realease a film without working on it so hard . He realy cares about his public and the money it put on it . He makes realy good quality movies contrary to some other director who only counts on huge budgets and commercials without realy working on the quality of it..i am thinking of the ones like 2012 , Paranormal Activy and co ...which draw so much money for nothing ..;

I am going to the cinema later at night to see AVATAR , i trust James Cameron as a director .. .

Bilbo
12-18-2009, 12:33 PM

remember what i said

$1.2 billion at least

buddyholly
12-18-2009, 02:55 PM
A friend reported from Thailand that technology is good and the storyline is an amazing innovation in brilliance: environmentalists good, corporations bad and geologists are the scum of the universe.

He was disappointed that Cameron apparently believes that the public will thrill to the visual effects and be sufficiently stupid to not realise the script is shit.

Bilbo
12-18-2009, 03:05 PM
expected post

buddyholly
12-19-2009, 01:06 AM
You know my friend in Thailand?

out_here_grindin
12-19-2009, 02:17 AM
I just got back from the movie. It was a magical movie for sure. The visuals were breath-taking on nearly every shot. I enjoyed the story as well it was one that the viewer could really get involved in so im not going to throw rocks at that.

~*BGT*~
12-19-2009, 03:14 AM
I've seen the trailers, heard so many people say it was a visual masterpiece, but.....

WHAT IS THE MOVIE ABOUT????

DartMarcus
12-19-2009, 10:29 AM
I've seen the trailers, heard so many people say it was a visual masterpiece, but.....

WHAT IS THE MOVIE ABOUT????

Shortly: In the future, Jake, a paraplegic war veteran, is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture. Earth people are here to collect some extremely valuable precious metals. Jake's mission is to explore Na'vi and make them leave their land. For this, he uses his Avatar - a body with a mix of people and Na'vi appearance, so that he can walk on foot again...

But the movie is really great! For sure it gets into my list of 50 best movies of the decade. :D
In visual effects, it is something unbelievable!

Shirogane
12-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Princess Mononoke Meets Pocahontas. That, plus the outstanding visuals. And a heroine to die for.

Lopez
12-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Most reviews here in Finland are in the middle, three star range, and that's what I expect really. Great visual effects but cliche story with not much insight and original message.

Going to see it tomorrow, we'll see how I like it then.

JMG
12-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Shortly: In the future, Jake, a paraplegic war veteran, is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture. Earth people are here to collect some extremely valuable precious metals. Jake's mission is to explore Na'vi and make them leave their land. For this, he uses his Avatar - a body with a mix of people and Na'vi appearance, so that he can walk on foot again...

But the movie is really great! For sure it gets into my list of 50 best movies of the decade. :D

I dislike science fiction so I don't know why I should pay money to see this. I will wait until it is on tv. ;) Nevertheless I'm looking forward to reading Bilbo's review. He will probably write that he has just seen the best movie in history.

Bilbo
12-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Nevertheless I'm looking forward to reading Bilbo's review. He will probably write that he has just seen the best movie in history.

if you think so you first have to find out which is my favourite movie or better say which i think is the best.

however, i feel that your assumption about my review might be wrong. i can assure you that it won't be the best movie in history. all i said was it might be the best movie of the decade. but there's still lord of the rings which already is one of the best movies of all-time.

Lopez
12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
but there's still lord of the rings which already is one of the best movies of all-time.

Not true, overrated. 12 Oscars way too much.

Like Slumdog Millionare, no way that movie was 8 Oscars worth.

Bilbo
12-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Not true, overrated. 11 Oscars way too much.

i just corrected you

cobalt60
12-19-2009, 12:58 PM
My son saw this last night and said it was the best movie he ever saw. Trust me that says a lot :p

out_here_grindin
12-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Some people are saying it is akin to seeing Star Wars for the first time in 1977.

buddyholly
12-19-2009, 02:17 PM
if you think so you first have to find out which is my favourite movie or better say which i think is the best.

We all know it's the Simpson Movie.

buddyholly
12-19-2009, 02:18 PM
My son saw this last night and said it was the best movie he ever saw. Trust me that says a lot :p

Good or bad?

tennizen
12-19-2009, 02:21 PM
I saw this movie yesterday. The visuals are stunning and it's an entertaining movie but nothing spectacular. Also it is too long and I got bored the last one hr of the movie. Still a lot of amazing work into creating the visuals and worth a watch for that.

Bilbo
12-19-2009, 03:29 PM
We all know it's the Simpson Movie.

wrong

better luck next time

DartMarcus
12-19-2009, 05:39 PM
The movie is simply the GOAT of visual side. But it is not just a popcorn movie, like 2012, Transformers or Spider-Man.
I put it into my list of top 20 best movies of the decade.

cobalt60
12-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Good or bad?

Good ;) But remember he is 16 and into all the computer trickery.

~*BGT*~
12-19-2009, 06:07 PM

That really doesn't sound like a good story :shrug:

Most reviews here in Finland are in the middle, three star range, and that's what I expect really. Great visual effects but cliche story with not much insight and original message.

Going to see it tomorrow, we'll see how I like it then.

I saw this movie yesterday. The visuals are stunning and it's an entertaining movie but nothing spectacular. Also it is too long and I got bored the last one hr of the movie. Still a lot of amazing work into creating the visuals and worth a watch for that.

That's what I thought: hyped to hell because of its visual but lacking in the story-telling aspect. I'll gladly skip :)

kai.
12-19-2009, 09:48 PM
is like 2012 Great effects..
but the story :o to wick..
really...

i think the media made it look bigger ..
maybe james will win some oscars on produccion, no more..

tangerine_dream
12-19-2009, 10:09 PM
So far it's been mostly geeky boys (the "Lara Croft was my first crush" types) creaming themselves over this movie. I'll wait to see what the word-of-mouth is from the women before I see it. :)

cobalt60
12-19-2009, 10:11 PM
So far it's been mostly geeky boys (the "Lara Croft was my first crush" types) creaming themselves over this movie. I'll wait to see what the word-of-mouth is from the women before I see it. :)

Ehem I will have you know my son is an Uber Geek;) And doubtful he creamed himself over this movie :p But what I do know I am only the mother :rolls: Also I have no intention of seeing it so I can't help you here.

Clay Death
12-19-2009, 10:12 PM
I think this movie deserves its own thread. Are you ready for the movie of the century?

Trailer: cRdxXPV9GNQ

1 Titanic $1,842.9

My prediction: at least 2nd place with at least $1.2 billion.

The reviews for this movie are stunning. Probably as good as never before.

Sigourney :rocker2:

no question about it. this movie looks very hot.

out_here_grindin
12-20-2009, 02:16 AM

The reason I don't thin k it will break the top 5 overall. It will not get the same support from women as Titanic did.

Lunatiq
12-20-2009, 09:11 AM
WOW. The future of movies!!! What's that up there? It's 3D!!!!!!

not in Germany and Switzerland I've heard?? Some problems in cinemas?

Bilbo
12-20-2009, 10:12 AM
not in Germany and Switzerland I've heard?? Some problems in cinemas?

I'm going to watch it in 3D today

Bilbo
12-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Review: 'Avatar' delivers on the hype

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/17/avatar.review/index.html

Bilbo
12-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm back from the cinema and of course my question was if it's the movie of the decade. It's a tough one between Lord of the Rings and Avatar but one of these for sure. Both will be remembered even in a few decades. However, I would give the edge to Avatar and make it the movie of the decade. Another masterpiece by James Cameron :worship: The DVD and Blu-Ray version should set new standards in image quality.

Oh, and who said the movie has no story? Brilliant story and visual world. Very inspired stuff.

buddyholly
12-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Oh, and who said the movie has no story?

Everyone but you. So, are you going to switch your studies from geology to climate science now, you horrible mining person?

But, if you insist in bowing down to the genius of Canadians, who am I to argue with that?

Bilbo
12-20-2009, 11:42 PM
expected post. just like always you have to put everything down. do you have no other things to do? you really must live a low life, buddyholly. i'll put you on ignore from now on.

buddyholly
12-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Gotcha!!!!!!!:lol:

out_here_grindin
12-21-2009, 01:21 AM
I agree Bilbo. The story is pretty good. Maybe not the most original in the world but if you get lost in the world of Pandora it's easy to get involved in the story. It's a good emotional story that the viewer can get entrenched in and works very well with the visual presentation.

Vida
12-21-2009, 01:32 AM
good movie with a shallow plot that does not really bother you. lots of environmentalism in it. great effects, I watched it in 3d. the bad guy is hilarious, reminds me of general Rancor.

buddyholly
12-21-2009, 02:28 AM
i'll put you on ignore from now on.

That's a relief. Now I won't have to suffer all those anti-Semitic PMs.

Stensland
12-22-2009, 07:03 PM
so "avatar" made about $75 mil on its opening weekend in the states - less than "i am legend", which had a similar theme and opened around the same time (costs were about $300 mil (!!!) below "avatar" though).

it ended up making about $580 mil worldwide. considering that cameron's flick will probably have legs i think my prediction of around $600 mil (maybe even $700 mil) was pretty okay. :)

Bilbo
12-22-2009, 07:39 PM
shows you how the weather can influence things. however, it will be just a shift for the first two weekends. i expect next weekend to be equally good than the first one because of the bad weather we had in the east US and Europe. your (laughable) prediction will be surpassed in just 2 weeks. even more i expect this movie to be on long legs. i know a lot of people who will watch this movie at least twice. the reviews across the internet are among the best you've ever seen. the cameron bonus should also be not forgotten. even 2012 has cashed in more than $700 million and has very bad reviews. also there was hardly any promotion compared to avatar. your prediction just makes no sense at all.

i'm still satisfied with my prediction. looks good.

btw the costs for "avatar" aren't official yet. the numbers are an assumption. we know it's the most expensive movie but not how much exactly.

scarecrows
12-23-2009, 07:57 PM
no 3D here but the effects were amazing

the story - an alien version of Pocahontas

Ilovetheblues_86
12-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Good movie but my movie of the decade is The Lord of Rings trilogy still :highfive:

BigJohn
12-24-2009, 03:18 AM
Looks good but is boring and unimaginative.

Just saw it in 3D. Some scenes were amazing, some not so much. I'm afraid it will be the same as watching Jurassic Park a few years after it was made. It will not age well. There would no point in making a big deal over this if it was not "KingCameron in 3D!!!"

This is breakthrough technology, but it is backed up by a boring, simplistic and overused plotline told in badly written clichés.

out_here_grindin
12-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm afraid it will be the same as watching Jurassic Park a few years after it was made. It will not age well.

JP is a classic

BigJohn
12-24-2009, 02:28 PM
JP is a classic

A classic that did not age well nevertheless.

Cameron just gimmicked up a thin story with 3D effects with Avatar. At least 3/4 of the seats were empty where I saw it.

Bilbo
12-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Avatar now stands at $615 million worldwide after just 10 days and smoked Sherlock Holmes to top this weekends box office. And like I predicted this weekend was equal to the first one because of last weeks bad weather.

Where's that fool Rrrainer :rolls::rolls:

LSD
12-27-2009, 08:36 PM
noone of those 5 movies except titanic deserve amount of money they achieved
this movie is entertaining for the kids and those who are in love with this sci-fi bullshit
harry potter on the 5th place,i didnt watched single harry potter movie since #1
would not play single cent for that crap
and this is movie of century ? rofl
there are bunch or low budget movies that have 100x better acting and better story then this shit
but as i said bunch of kids and hyped teenagers running into cinemas with their moms and dad's and whole families to watch it so..$$$ and hype for this..

LSD
12-27-2009, 08:44 PM
trainspotting
american gangster
braveheart
fear and loathing in las vegas
rock n rolla
city of god
hannibal

just a few of those not a low budget actually but who are masterpiece for those like harry potter crap

Bilbo
12-27-2009, 08:57 PM
there are bunch or low budget movies that have 100x better acting and better story then this shit

dude, the hard work is behind the scenes not infront of. the effort that is taken into a movie and the difficulty level is very important. the script for avatar was very difficult and only a genius like cameron could have made a movie out of it. the story is not what stands out for a movie like this.

and even harry potter is better than any of your listed movies. the depth, atmosphere, costumes and scenes are very good in the harry potter movies.

BigJohn
12-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Harry Potter better than City of God? I'm a huge Potter fan, films and books, but to say that Potter movies are better than City of God or Trainspotting, that is just being silly...

alfonsojose
12-28-2009, 12:51 PM
amazing effects but very old story.

alfonsojose
12-28-2009, 12:51 PM
dude, the hard work is behind the scenes not infront of. the effort that is taken into a movie and the difficulty level is very important. the script for avatar was very difficult and only a genius like cameron could have made a movie out of it. the story is not what stands out for a movie like this.

and even harry potter is better than any of your listed movies. the depth, atmosphere, costumes and scenes are very good in the harry potter movies.

:hug: You always deliver the best :lol:

JMG
12-28-2009, 12:58 PM
noone of those 5 movies except titanic deserve amount of money they achieved
this movie is entertaining for the kids and those who are in love with this sci-fi bullshit
harry potter on the 5th place,i didnt watched single harry potter movie since #1
would not play single cent for that crap
and this is movie of century ? rofl
but as i said bunch of kids and hyped teenagers running into cinemas with their moms and dad's and whole families to watch it so..$$$ and hype for this..

I agree 100%. :worship:

Stensland
12-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Where's that fool Rrrainer :rolls::rolls:

he's here. i guess i was way off then. so let me introduce you to a new feeling: being right.

too bad you can't dance around and celebrate in your cell due to the straightjacket.

Bilbo
12-28-2009, 02:35 PM
this one was not difficult to predict. i wonder what you were smoking to think avatar would be as successful as 2012. you had a very good barometer there but you failed to use it. the funniest moment was when you thought you are on track after the 1st weekend but you missed the fact that a big part of the US wasn't able to go to the cinemas. same for europe. that's why the 2nd weekend was equal to the first as also predicted by me. and when you look at the numbers for monday to friday you can see that they are better than for LoTR III which is ranked #2. The decrease/increase from one day to another is also 10-15% above average. About 32-33% (typical number) of the net gross is coming from the US which is the average for a non-american and international storyline. This will bring in an additional 100-150$ million at the end :yeah:

buddyholly
12-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Bilbo writes like his life depends on Avatar being acclaimed as a masterpiece. I can only assume he hopes that big box office will justify his belief that this schlock is important stuff.

~*BGT*~
12-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Bilbo writes like his life depends on Avatar being acclaimed as a masterpiece. I can only assume he hopes that big box office will justify his belief that this schlock is important stuff.

Because he has an obsessive personality. Can't you tell?

- American culture
- The Simpsons
- Michael Jackson
- Leona Lewis
- Hatred of American tennis players, Berdych, Gulbis...
- proving people wrong
- Naranoc/Jenni
- and now Sherelle

Dude is just weird.

Bilbo
12-30-2009, 11:03 PM
BGT seems upset i didn't vote her once :hug:

~*BGT*~
12-30-2009, 11:18 PM
^^ OK. Believe that :lol:

Bilbo
01-03-2010, 08:17 PM
AVATAR already cracked the $1 billion mark after just 17 days. I've never seen anything like that. This Cameron is more valuable than a goldmine.

THIS IS INSANE :eek::eek:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=avatar.htm

Where are the haters now? Became silent in here :rolls::rolls:

BigJohn
01-04-2010, 12:06 AM
It is insane, but it is not the first time crap sells fast: 2.4 millions cds of No Strings Attached by 'N Sync were sold the first week it was on the market. Sales don't mean quality.

Black Adam
01-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Needed only 700 million to make profit!! 17 days!!! That's just crazy!

Bilbo
01-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Needed only 700 million to make profit!!

wrong

JMG
01-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Avatar is currently rated #28 of all time. :eek: Surprisingly good.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?tt0499549

Movies on this list should be good, maybe except the fiction crap. But a lot of people seem to like this.

Bilbo
01-04-2010, 08:16 AM

Movies on this list should be good, maybe except the fiction crap. But a lot of people seem to like this.

if gone with the wind is ranked #157, Ben-Hur ranked #139, dark night ranked #9 and some more or less unknown movie on #1 you know the list isn't good, mate. but whatever is good for you i guess :shrug: try rottentomatoes, mate.

scarecrows
01-04-2010, 08:24 AM
if gone with the wind is ranked #157, Ben-Hur ranked #139, dark night ranked #9 and some more or less unknown movie on #1 you know the list isn't good, mate. but whatever is good for you i guess :shrug: try rottentomatoes, mate.

:lol:

of course you wouldnt like it since it has no aliens or mutants

Bilbo
01-04-2010, 08:29 AM
:lol:

of course you wouldnt like it since it has no aliens or mutants

the critics are still alive :lol:

how come my favourite movies doesn't consist of aliens or mutants?

scarecrows
01-04-2010, 08:42 AM
the critics are still alive :lol:

how come my favourite movies doesn't consist of aliens or mutants?

then why you slack a movie liked by millions of people, which probably you havent even watched, have you?

can you realize that that is a list of people's favourite movies which means a lot more than cinema tickets sold

Bilbo
01-04-2010, 09:01 AM
then why you slack a movie liked by millions of people, which probably you havent even watched, have you?

where did i slack it, fool? all i said was it's laughable to see it on top. i actually have seen this movie. stop interpreting things i haven't said.

can you realize that that is a list of people's favourite movies which means a lot more than cinema tickets sold

dare me!

bokehlicious
01-04-2010, 09:02 AM

Especially when that movie is also Ducky's favourite... :cool: :D

out_here_grindin
01-04-2010, 12:36 PM

Obvious reasons for this. Movies are more popluar now than back in those days.

~*BGT*~
01-04-2010, 04:43 PM

No way this movie should be ranked above Saving Private Ryan and Forrest Gump among others. :o

Ivanatis
01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
imdb-ranking is fine, of course there's this major flaw with Dark Knight being in the top10, but otherwise most of it is pretty reasonable, Shawshank on top is ok too, awesome film

The Freak
01-06-2010, 04:42 AM
Loved this movie :worship:

Ilovetheblues_86
01-06-2010, 04:47 AM
No way this movie should be ranked above Saving Private Ryan and Forrest Gump among others. :o

Good movies but they show a very american vision.
Avatar is more friendly globally if you think about the ecological issues, thus it could get a better rate.

Ilovetheblues_86
01-06-2010, 06:21 AM
That being said I liked the spiritual part of the movie, the na'vi people has wisdom compared to the goold old elvishs.
And that thing of conection with animals was creative at least.

jmf07
01-08-2010, 05:18 AM
Brilliant movie. Out of Avatar and Sherlock Holmes I thought it was going to be this one which failed to live up to the hype but it turns out it was the other way around.

Bilbo
01-08-2010, 01:29 PM
the next week will decide if avatar can top titanic. cameron thought it will not. in china the movie has started just a few days ago.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1628991/story.jhtml

buddyholly
01-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Shawshank on top is ok too, awesome film

What did people see in Shawshank Redemption that I didn't? I remember it as just a regular so-so movie.

Henry Chinaski
01-09-2010, 03:13 AM
I enjoyed it anyway. Sentimental and moving but just stops short of overdoing it. One you have to leave your cynicism at the door for. Good acting, likable characters, happy ending.

It's no Preadator by any means but I think it's easy enough to see why people like it.

kai.
01-09-2010, 05:11 AM
On ET, they said today that there was some sex scenes and James Cameron cut them and save it for DVD :devil:

out_here_grindin
01-09-2010, 05:29 PM
On ET, they said today that there was some sex scenes and James Cameron cut them and save it for DVD :devil:

O yeah I can't wait to see blue avatars have sex. :rolleyes:

Bilbo
01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
current standing: $1,331,140,000

it's still raising pretty fast. $512,000,000 to go to top Titanic.

according to my calculations this could become a nail-biter at the end. could be decided by 1 dollar :eek::eek:

buddyholly
01-10-2010, 09:07 PM
What kind of sick mind gives a shit whether Avatar beats Titanic at the box office? It is still #1 and #2 for Canada, in any order.

Just saw Sherlock Holmes, very disappointing. I nodded off with boredom. Without Holmes and Watson actually having a sex scene, it was just a tease.

buddyholly
01-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Avatar is more friendly globally if you think about the ecological issues, thus it could get a better rate.

Doesn't it happen in another solar system?

LSD
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM

Dark knight doesnt deserve #9 obivously
but ben-hur is a movie that in that time had most persons in one set scene
when i watched first time ben-hur i was kid but movie itself were something fascinating
so much people in scene all coordinated perfecly,i can remember i were so excited in that scene in arena when they fighting with horses and those shit on two wheels i dont know word in english
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aVJFZgk2IE
i am big movie fan,especially documentaries fan and i like to watch anything on tv no matter is it sport/movie/cartoon and i watched ben-hur again and again few times i am always fascinated
whenever i watch that movie again,pure class acting inside,that movie should be ranked higher but isnt sci-fi like dark knight and main actor isnt christian bale so girls and kids arent voting or whoever voted for it.
IMO how i see all time movie is something what you watch time and time again and even if you know whole scenes,story and what will happen in any moment still whenever you watch it agian it wont be boring and will be still exciting to watch.
But again it's all depends to person what movie style prefer but it's problem with mainstream
today..especially in usa.

Bilbo
01-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Dark knight doesnt deserve #9 obivously
but ben-hur is a movie that in that time had most persons in one set scene
when i watched first time ben-hur i was kid but movie itself were something fascinating
so much people in scene all coordinated perfecly,i can remember i were so excited in that scene in arena when they fighting with horses and those shit on two wheels i dont know word in english
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aVJFZgk2IE

finally someone who knows a little bit about movies. however, the scene in the arena of ben-hur took about 3 months just for these 10 minutes. they brought all the sand from a beach if i remember right. it's one of the most difficult and costliest scenes in history and as i heard the most famous movie scene of all-time. the whole movie is a masterpiece and one of the best 10 movies of all-times.

IMO how i see all time movie is something what you watch time and time again and even if you know whole scenes,story and what will happen in any moment still whenever you watch it agian it wont be boring and will be still exciting to watch.

agreed, and ben-hur is one of them. so many details to explore each time you watch the movie. brilliant acting as well. charlton hestons is one of the best actors of all-time.

The Freak
01-10-2010, 11:39 PM
A sequel has been confirmed..it'll be interesting to see where the story goes from here..the ending of the movie didn't exactly suggest a sequel.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/01/08/avatar-sequel-confirmed-by-james-cameron-and-heres-what-wed-like-to-see/

tangerine_dream
01-10-2010, 11:50 PM
I don't care how much money this movie makes, I still have zero interest in seeing it.

Hilarious review here:

http://www.bigempire.com/filthy/avatar.html

Epic sci-fi crap typically ain't my cup of tea. I get a lot of angry e-mails from people whose bottle of Mountain Dew it is. The notes are usually pretty threatening, as though me not liking something these people love is a matter of utmost importance. As though the fact some asshole with a web site doesn't care for what they do threatens the substance of their passion.

My nephew Jimmy is one of these people. He is spurred to action only when someone insults the shit he likes. Then, his first reaction is to insult whomever doesn't share his opinion. The kid knows his sci-fi shit, though, and he talks the fanboy language for whom Avatar is finally a reason to take a shower, pour on a bottle of Axe body spray, wear that homemade quilt sweater the Aunt gave them last Christmas and get out of the basement to go someplace other than Best Buy or Gameforce. I will be spending a lot of time with Jimmy over the next couple of weeks. Christmas is at his mother's, and I have to act like a nice guy if I want to be invited. I will because they spike the punch with grappa and always forget to lock the medicine cabinet. Two years ago I scored birth control pills that made me feel unbelievably pretty and a delicate for two months.

So, Jimmy joined me for a Friday-night showing of Avatar in 3-D. We didn't talk much, which was nice because he's a fucking dork, but we at least sat together (with an empty seat between us) so we didn't look like guys who go to movies alone on Friday nights. Now, Jimmy joins me in reviewing Avatar. . . .

click the link to read the rest.

Bilbo
01-11-2010, 12:01 AM
I don't care how much money this movie makes, I still have zero interest in seeing it.

you might go watch Sherlock Holmes then. if guy ritchie only knows how to make an international movie.

buddyholly
01-11-2010, 12:13 AM

Hilarious review here:

http://www.bigempire.com/filthy/avatar.html

That was a fun read. Maybe bilbo's realtime name is Jimmy.

''Fighting is bad. Here's some more.'' I doubt if the movie has a line as good as this one.

buddyholly
01-15-2010, 06:55 PM
My newspaper says there is an increasing number of people dealing with depression after they realise that there is no Pandora. A psychotherapist reports that obsession with the film indicates ''lonely people, not much happening in their lives right now. They are using the movie to express their depression."

Sofonda Cox
01-15-2010, 08:30 PM
My newspaper says there is an increasing number of people dealing with depression after they realise that there is no Pandora. A psychotherapist reports that obsession with the film indicates ''lonely people, not much happening in their lives right now. They are using the movie to express their depression."

I saw the movie and overdosed 5 mins later

buddyholly
01-15-2010, 09:06 PM
How could they tell?

Sofonda Cox
01-15-2010, 09:11 PM
How could they tell?

tell what?

buddyholly
01-15-2010, 09:19 PM
I guess you're still overdosed.

Sofonda Cox
01-15-2010, 09:22 PM
but only on a tuesday

buddyholly
01-17-2010, 04:50 PM
A couple of nights ago I dreamt you had left MTF.

Bilbo
01-17-2010, 06:19 PM
current standing: $1,602,168,000

titanic looks like a goner now :bigwave:

now let's see if avatar can crack the $2 billion mark.

unreal this cameron.

MatchFederer
01-17-2010, 06:22 PM
It's a fairly decent film and really warms up towards the last third. I was lost somewhere in the middle though. Visually it was rather stunning.

7 outta 10.

MatchFederer
01-17-2010, 06:26 PM
current standing: $1,331,140,000

it's still raising pretty fast. $512,000,000 to go to top Titanic.

according to my calculations this could become a nail-biter at the end. could be decided by 1 dollar :eek::eek:

Both of these epic reasonably decent films took in ridiculous money, but are these figures allowing for inflation?

To equal Titanic in terms of value of the money taken in it might have to go a lot further, no?

buddyholly
01-17-2010, 08:31 PM
unreal this cameron.He's canadian. we are all much the same.

Bilbo
01-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Both of these epic reasonably decent films took in ridiculous money, but are these figures allowing for inflation?

To equal Titanic in terms of value of the money taken in it might have to go a lot further, no?

yeah

inflation reflects the real success of a movie but in terms of money the net amount of money which got brought in by the movie is what counts for the film industry. so the difference between the money made from selling the tickets and the production budget.

Ivanatis
01-17-2010, 08:42 PM
not really a Titanic fan and Avatar was fine, so I'll hope for it to take the top

Bilbo
01-17-2010, 08:44 PM
not really a Titanic fan and Avatar was fine, so I'll hope for it to take the top

no need to hope. it's 100% sure by now.

Ivanatis
01-17-2010, 08:46 PM
oh ok...the quote on top of this page is kinda confusing

Bilbo
01-17-2010, 08:47 PM
current standing: $1,602,168,000

titanic looks like a goner now :bigwave:

now let's see if avatar can crack the $2 billion mark.

unreal this cameron.

this

Ivanatis
01-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I read Cameron will do a sequel and Worthington already signed for it.

GustavoM_Fan
01-19-2010, 05:43 PM
i saw this some days ago, a bit better than I expected but "the effect" didnt last too long
Its great because Cameron created an own and special world

http://www.avatar-forums.com/pandora/1043-ways-cope-depression-dream-pandora-being-intangible-part-2-a.html good forum to sign up bilbo :)

GustavoM_Fan
01-19-2010, 05:53 PM
http://gawker.com/5451598/china-blocks-avatar-citing-restless-natives-and-james-camerons-filthy-wealth :spit:

"The Central Publicity Department is said to have issued an order to the media prohibiting it from hyping up Avatar. ... Reportedly, the authorities have two reasons for this check on Avatar: first, it has taken in too much money and has seized market share from domestic films, and second, it may lead audiences to think about forced removal, and may possibly incite violence" :lol:

Henry Chinaski
01-20-2010, 06:42 PM
saw it today.

unspeakably dull.

I would've left early only I was there with my friend and didn't want to leave him sitting on his own.

the only thing remotely interesting about it is that the main alien bears a strange resemblence to Viktor Troicki

buddyholly
01-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Henry,

Should I see it in 3D at IMAX, (with my iPod playing Buddy Holly in my ears)? I have never lasted more than 5 minutes trying to watch Lord of the Rings and would not even try to watch Aliens, Terminator and films like that.

Vida
01-23-2010, 01:04 PM
I saw it in 3D, made a mistake, cause the glasses were bit blurry and I couldn't wipe them clean. also they made it like for a universal diopter, and I have a so so vision so my eyes started hurting at about half the projection. but sure, those were obviously cheap paper glasses, not the cool high-tech glasses I imagine exist.

the movie itself is really nothing special, part from effects. but nowdays all high caliber films are high tech so 'wow' isnt a 'wow' anymore. story is plain and simple, straightforward, really nothing to make you think a bit more, good or bad.

there are fine bits, like that army man with his giant robo-toy, thats cool. and the scene when the main guy fights the dragon he is about to ride. cant remember where I saw it exactly, but that scene is terribly reminiscent of a scene in some other movie with a guy and a black bad behaved horse who goes tame to serve his powerful master.

acting is overall solid, nothing too shabby. bit disappointing was sigorney who I got the feeling didnt invest herself much, as she did in, say, that movie with gorillas where she plays kind of similar save-the-animals role.

so all in all, I get that bit paranoid feeling that the studio brains firstly opened one laaaaaaarge excel sheet where they put their target groups and their preferences, than they let the computer run the numbers and woilla, - there you have a return of investments counting in millions and billions of dollars.

than again, when I was younger I thought that phil jackson actually had no influence on how the bulls will play. they seemed so perfect that to me it looked like he was just put there cause someone has to look like a coach.

Bilbo
01-23-2010, 03:45 PM
the movie itself is really nothing special, part from effects. but nowdays all high caliber films are high tech so 'wow' isnt a 'wow' anymore. story is plain and simple, straightforward, really nothing to make you think a bit more, good or bad.

a plain and simple story was intended by cameron not to focus too much on it and rather enjoy the special effects and it's beautiful rendered landscapes which was the main message of this movie.

so all in all, I get that bit paranoid feeling that the studio brains firstly opened one laaaaaaarge excel sheet where they put their target groups and their preferences, than they let the computer run the numbers and woilla, - there you have a return of investments counting in millions and billions of dollars.

you should learn more about movies then if you think this is how it works. you might also have a look into the book "The Art of Avatar: James Cameron's Epic Adventure". there you can see what hard work it is. not comparable to a normal movie. the best people in the world have worked on this movie.

avatar already is a cult movie whether some people like it or not.

Vida
01-23-2010, 04:11 PM
a plain and simple story was intended by cameron not to focus too much on it and rather enjoy the special effects and it's beautiful rendered landscapes which was the main message of this movie.

you should learn more about movies then if you think this is how it works. you might also have a look into the book "The Art of Avatar: James Cameron's Epic Adventure". there you can see what hard work it is. not comparable to a normal movie. the best people in the world have worked on this movie.

now how can "beautiful renderer landscapes" contain any message of a movie? if they were real than you can say, wow, what a beautiful natural habitat or whatever. here, you can perhaps think wow, what a rich mind this animator has. hardly any message in it, other than the more you pay - the more 'estethicaly pleasing' it is to ones eye. so no message at all, though it does look good. so in another words, the movie is shallow.

as for the hard work behind it, I dont doubt there was a LOT of hard work behind it, and consequently it produced a LOT of cash. as is in most high grossing movies. simply, people usually go to theaters to relax, rest their brains, not engage them. so yes the producers did a good job cause the movie is very watchable though the artistic value is minimal.

also this is not a cult movie. to be a cult it has to be at least a bit obscure, not the highest grossing hollywood motion picture ever made. say 'clockwork orange' is a cult movie, not 'avatar'.

Henry Chinaski
01-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Henry,

Should I see it in 3D at IMAX, (with my iPod playing Buddy Holly in my ears)? I have never lasted more than 5 minutes trying to watch Lord of the Rings and would not even try to watch Aliens, Terminator and films like that.

Not a bad idea actually. wish I had mine with me. It will certainly make it more tolerable but the novelty will probably wear off pretty quickly anyway.

don't really get 3d. for the most part sn't it just doing what your brain does subconciously anyway? well maybe exaggerates it.

I didn't find it any more visually stimulating than a modern David Attenborough documentary and infinitely less so than a visit to an aquarium

«Ivan»
01-23-2010, 04:44 PM

my,my.grow up decky,^^^is huge embarrassement.titanic is for "so in love 15 yo girls",avatar is for "so in love 15 yo boys". only !!!

saw it today.

unspeakably dull.

I would've left early only I was there with my friend and didn't want to leave him sitting on his own.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:
dull as it's their/avatar lovers/asses,amazingly dull,unspeakable dull.

mtf still has some hope.

Ivanatis
01-23-2010, 05:14 PM
my,my.grow up decky,^^^is huge embarrassement.titanic is for "so in love 15 yo girls",avatar is for "so in love 15 yo boys". only !!!

That's bull. Both of it.

BigJohn
01-23-2010, 09:03 PM

Avatar a cult movie... That's rich from someone who like to tell people to "learn more about movies." Bilbo, I'll buy you a T-Shirt that reads "I'm with stupid" with the arrow pointing up.

buddyholly
01-23-2010, 10:15 PM

The success of that cult of a movie annoys me so much I can't sleep at night.

buddyholly
01-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Not a bad idea actually. wish I had mine with me. It will certainly make it more tolerable but the novelty will probably wear off pretty quickly anyway.

don't really get 3d. for the most part sn't it just doing what your brain does subconciously anyway? well maybe exaggerates it.

I didn't find it any more visually stimulating than a modern David Attenborough documentary and infinitely less so than a visit to an aquarium

OK, I'll just give it a pass and rent IN BRUGES one more time.

scarecrows
01-23-2010, 10:32 PM
OK, I'll just give it a pass and rent IN BRUGES one more time.

excellent movie

like a fairy tale

Bilbo
01-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Avatar a cult movie... That's rich from someone who like to tell people to "learn more about movies." Bilbo, I'll buy you a T-Shirt that reads "I'm with stupid" with the arrow pointing up.

I want one with "Dark Knight" on it.

BigJohn
01-23-2010, 11:29 PM
I said that!!!
^^^^

That would be the quote on the back side of the aforementioned t-shirt.

Joolz
01-24-2010, 12:55 AM
It's not a cult movie. Nor is it a great one.
It will become a footnote in the history of visual effects. A snap-shot of what was possible with CGI at certain point in time.
And of course there'll be other movies like it. Whether by Cameron or other directors. They'll cost even more money and have even bigger promotional campaigns.
And they'll be all the rage when they get released and they'll make even more insane amounts money.
Right now, it's Avatar. Tomorrow, it'll be something else.
But will Avatar have any lasting impact? Will its plot become a story people like to tell? Will its characters be remembered, revered and have their place in popular culture? Will quotes from it find their way into everyday language? In short, does it have the makings of a truly great film?
- I don't think so.

«Ivan»
01-24-2010, 07:52 AM
That's bull. Both of it.

i can't believe.gyes 'n titanic? embarrassement even for a gays(okay,your perspective of gays).retard movie by all means decky.are you sure you're serious:rolleyes:?

i already like you.he is stupid.
poor t-shirt:sad:

SwiSha
01-24-2010, 09:36 AM
lmfao avatar cult ?? hahhaha

i only enjoyed because i was high as fuck...

Henry Chinaski
01-24-2010, 10:44 AM
excellent movie

like a fairy tale

two manky hookers and a racist dwarf. I think I'm heading home...

Jōris
01-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Kind of like Titanic with a poor plot and great visuals. Doesn't warrant a second viewing with me and will win many Oscars.

Vida
01-24-2010, 11:44 AM
even 'nerds' is more of a cult film than 'avatar'.

Ivanatis
01-24-2010, 04:18 PM
i can't believe.gyes 'n titanic? embarrassement even for a gays(okay,your perspective of gays).retard movie by all means decky.are you sure you're serious:rolleyes:?

well Joris pretty much gave the answer to this, I would never rent it on DVD though

and yes In Bruges is brilliant stuff

Bilbo
01-24-2010, 05:52 PM
current standings:

Titanic $1,842,879,955

so just $6.8 million to go which will be done by tomorrow

buddyholly
01-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Fantastic!!!!!! Will there be national holidays?

scarecrows
01-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Fantastic!!!!!! Will there be national holidays?

in Pandora, yes

BigJohn
01-25-2010, 11:59 AM
I got this from a german newspaper, sorry for the rough translation:

(Reuters)The dark side of Avatar.

A deranged man caused a minor commotion in a german theater today. According to cinema staff, it was the 10th time the strange customer paid to see the movie Avatar over the last 2 days.

What made this 10th time special was the fact that the man showed up dressed up.

"He usually wears MC Hammer pants, a Leona Lewis t-shirt and a cheap imitation of a red leather Michael Jackson jacket. But this time he was wearing all that plus blue high heel boots, a strange blue wig with one single braid. At the end of the braid was a pretty good size blue dildo. And he had painted all his skin with a blue sharpie."

Uneasy, the staff allowed the man to see the movie again, but soon about half of the patrons rushed out of the theater yelling "Blue pervert". That is when that staff called the police.

The police arrested the man for public disturbance much to the chagrin of the other half of the patrons who were really enjoying the impromptu performance. "It was actually more entertaining than the movie," one patron said, "that guy was vigorously molesting himself Na'vi style with his wig. We usually have to wait until 8 o'clock to see such things on German TV."

The police could not charge him with indecent exposure since "...it really can't be called that if you know what I mean... I mean exposure, just to be clear. German laws state that under a minimum size to male genitalia, it cannot be considered exposure."

The movie theater was ready to welcome patrons for the next representation, but both the police and staff were a little bit uneasy since the blue dildo was not retrieved.

"Who knows where that lunatic stuck that thing... oh... nevermind."

Bilbo
01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
not a good article you wrote there, john. i know people who watched this movie more than 20 times. you could have been more generous in your article. however, probably the person already was brain damaged from watching the dark knight. this is actually a very dark movie.

Vida
01-25-2010, 01:35 PM
:lol: yeah Id go along with that. Dark Knight is nothing special. 3 mayor minuses:
-batman character is very much sidelined;
-Bale is the worst actor in the history of the universe;
-there is far too much stuff going on in the movie.

«Ivan»
01-25-2010, 01:41 PM
not a good article you wrote there, john. i know people who watched this movie more than 20 times. you could have been more generous in your article. however, probably the person already was brain damaged from watching the dark knight. this is actually a very dark movie.

you don't know to stop,where is that point where you have to say yourself-stop retard?

Henry Chinaski
01-25-2010, 01:51 PM
I got this from a german newspaper, sorry for the rough translation:

haha. I'm dressing up as this guy next halloween

buddyholly
01-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Went to see AVATAR on Sunday night. I was the ticket buyer who pushed AVATAR over the top in world sales. I won $100,000 and free entrance for life to any Toronto cinema as well as a seat at the James Cameron table at the Oscars and a small part in the AVATAR sequel, playing a geologist who discovers by radiogenic methods that unobtanium is actually a daughter isotope of bilbonium, available in large quantities as superficial deposits in Germany. Bilbonium is easily manipulated into breaking down to unobtanium and so Pandora is abandoned by humans without doing the required environmental cleanup operations. I am a court witness in the intergalactal trial that follows.
I pointed out that I had no acting experience but they told me not to worry.

SwiSha
01-25-2010, 05:46 PM

no brainer

LSD
01-25-2010, 08:14 PM
current standings:

Titanic $1,842,879,955

so just $6.8 million to go which will be done by tomorrow

where are you bilboman
did avatar beat titanic ? :lol:

Bilbo
01-25-2010, 08:22 PM
where are you bilboman
did avatar beat titanic ? :lol:

yeah, but no international numbers updated. only just once a week. so we've to wait until tomorrow but theoretical avatar has beaten titanic by now.

BigJohn
01-25-2010, 10:38 PM
:lol: yeah Id go along with that. Dark Knight is nothing special. 3 mayor minuses:
-batman character is very much sidelined;
-Bale is the worst actor in the history of the universe;
-there is far too much stuff going on in the movie.

There are lots of people who would disagree with you. I for one think that The Dark Knight is altogether a lot less cartoonish than Avatar even if the first one is based on a comic book.

Of course, Bale is not the worst actor in the universe and I hope do not seriously think that. See American Psycho for a start.

BigJohn
01-25-2010, 10:41 PM

no brainer

Well, I guess having no brain is required to make such a statement.

Byrd
01-25-2010, 10:44 PM
i wouldn't laugh yet. usually my predictions are very accurate. you'll be surprised, mate.

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

QFT Bilbo you animal, I owe you a couple of pints.

SwiSha
01-26-2010, 06:01 AM
I hope De Niro is considering to star in Avatar 2

scarecrows
01-26-2010, 11:38 AM
I hope De Niro is considering to star in Avatar 2

he'll be the bad guy, usually he rules those roles

Manon
01-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Great thread for nothing. I agree with Henry > unspeakably dull.

I'm not good at those threads. Oscars, Titanics, Avatars...I don't give a damn about Hollywood fashion shows.

Someone mention In Bruges. I like it. Not a master piece though.

SwiSha
01-26-2010, 01:20 PM
he'll be the bad guy, usually he rules those roles

it really doesnt matter, he can play any role there is.... perfect for the Greatest Movie of ALL TIME ... AVATAR 2

Bilbo
01-26-2010, 07:50 PM
ALL TIME WORLDWIDE
1. Avatar $1,858,866,889
2. Titanic $1,843,201,268

Bilbo
01-26-2010, 07:52 PM
for all people who think avatar isn't a cult movie.

from movieposter.com:

An Avatar poster (especially an original) is quickly becoming a difficult to find commodity. James Cameron fans , hard core collectors and the average film fan are searching the web for all things Avatar, and the Avatar poster has become a sought-after gem along the lines of 2008's Dark Knight poster featuring Heath Ledger as the Joker. Just like all blockbuster movies, Avatar will inevitably churn out a 'Titanic' sized merchandising empire that will last for years to come.

shotgun
01-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Just because Avatar has a rabid fanbase, it doesn't mean it's a cult movie. Cult movies are usually non-mainstream or controversial films which gather a specific fanbase progressively over a long time span.

Avatar is too commercial/mainstream to be considered a cult film.

scarecrows
01-26-2010, 09:21 PM

from movieposter.com:

An Avatar poster (especially an original) is quickly becoming a difficult to find commodity. James Cameron fans , hard core collectors and the average film fan are searching the web for all things Avatar, and the Avatar poster has become a sought-after gem along the lines of 2008's Dark Knight poster featuring Heath Ledger as the Joker. Just like all blockbuster movies, Avatar will inevitably churn out a 'Titanic' sized merchandising empire that will last for years to come.

reminds me of teenagers going nuts over Beverly Hills 90210 posters in early 90s

SwiSha
01-26-2010, 11:22 PM
a cult movie is defined by its merchandising...

of course

BigJohn
01-26-2010, 11:46 PM
for all people who think avatar isn't a cult movie...

... here's a list, see of well it fits in there:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY's The Top 50 Cult Movies (just the top 25)

1. This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
3. Freaks (1932)
4. Harold and Maude (1971)
5. Pink Flamingos (1972)
6. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
7. Repo Man (1984)
8. Scarface (1983)
9. Blade Runner
10. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
11. Five Deadly Venoms (1978)
12. Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959)
13. Brazil (1985)
14. Eraserhead (1977)
15. Faster, Pussy-Cat! Kill! Kill! (1966)
16. The Warriors (1979)
17. Dazed and Confused (1993)
18. Hard-Boiled (1992)
19. Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn (1987)
20. The Mack (1973)
21. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (1985)
22. Un Chien Andalou (1928, France)
23. Akira (1988)
24. The Toxic Avenger (1985)
25. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

Like a glove. All were box office champs and churned out a 'Titanic' sized merchandising empire. As usual, Bilbo could not be more right.

Bilbo
02-03-2010, 08:22 PM
As usual, Bilbo could not be more right.

the topic is about avatar anyway and yes i was right. just check my first post. must feel awful for all you haters.

i wonder where pulp fiction and alien are on your list. reads more like your favourite horror movies.

Bilbo
02-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Avatar tops Titanic in domestic grosses today by $601 million for an overall $2.05 billion worldwide.

The 7th weekend was another recording breaking one with $31 million and compared to those $72 million from the 1st weekend the pace is still outstanding. On the way for a $2.4 to $2.5 billion.

BigJohn
02-03-2010, 10:53 PM
the topic is about avatar anyway and yes i was right. just check my first post. must feel awful for all you haters.

i wonder where pulp fiction and alien are on your list. reads more like your favourite horror movies.

You're the douche who brought up the Avatar is a cult movie paradox... Just 5 posts ago! Focus Bilbo, focus...

just a reminder...

Joolz
02-04-2010, 01:23 AM
Avatar tops Titanic in domestic grosses today by $601 million for an overall $2.05 billion worldwide.

The 7th weekend was another recording breaking one with $31 million and compared to those $72 million from the 1st weekend the pace is still outstanding. On the way for a $2.4 to $2.5 billion.

If money and how much of it gets made is all that counts for you then you should be a diehard Federer fan...

Sapeod
09-18-2010, 03:06 PM
I am currently watching Avatar for the first time, and I've got to say, it's one of the best movies ever made.

Ben.
09-18-2010, 03:13 PM
I'd imagine the way I feel when someone says Avatar is one of the greatest films of all time is similar to how sensible people in general messages feel about people proclaiming Rafa greater than Borg already.

BigJohn
09-18-2010, 03:23 PM
I am currently watching Avatar for the first time, and I've got to say, it's one of the best movies ever made.

Perfectly fine to say this when you are 15...

buddyholly
09-18-2010, 03:28 PM

You've opened your campaign in ACC already, I see.

Sapeod
09-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Perfectly fine to say this when you are 15...

You've opened your campaign in ACC already, I see.
It's a great movie.
It's one of the best movies ever made
I don't see how some people find that so hard to understand.
And BTW, how does it make me a clown to think so.
Millions of people think so.
Anybody who doesn't see that this is a classic, and one of the best ever made, is blind.

BigJohn
09-18-2010, 03:46 PM
It's a great movie.
It's one of the best movies ever made
I don't see how some people find that so hard to understand.
And BTW, how does it make me a clown to think so.
Millions of people think so.
Anybody who doesn't see that this is a classic, and one of the best ever made, is blind.

Hahahaha.

No it is not. It has some good technology, but it is not a good movie because it's story is pure crap, the dialogues could have been written by a 15 yo, the acting is terrible. It looks good, but it's not a good movie.

The reason you find this hard to understand is because you are 15.

Just because a movie was seen by many does not make it a good movie, popularity does not mean quality. Blaise Pascal said

Nothing is as approved as mediocrity

People who do not see this as a classic are not blind, they just know more about movies than you.

Sapeod
09-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Hahahaha.

No it is not. It has some good technology, but it is not a good movie because it's story is pure crap, the dialogues could have been written by a 15 yo, the acting is terrible. It looks good, but it's not a good movie.

The reason you find this hard to understand is because you are 15.

Just because a movie was seen by many does not make it a good movie, popularity does not mean quality. Blaise Pascal said

People who do not see this as a classic are not blind, they just know more about movies than you.
Worst post of the year.

The acting is crap?
WRONG

Story is crap?
WRONG

The dialogue is crap?
WRONG!!!!

It's a great movie, has great graphics, has great action.
It's just a great movie overall.

And you got a quote from someone (one person, might I add) to prove your point?
Great movies are approved as great.
Mediocre movies are seen as mediocre.
Bad movies are seen as bad.
Simple.
A LOT of people see this movie as an amazing film, and it is.

And I don't understand because I'm 15?
Bull. Shit!
Does that mean all the people that think the same as me only think that because they are 15?
Why even bring up age?
I'm 15, not a fucking 8 year old.
What a bullshit post.

BigJohn
09-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Worst post of the year.

The acting is crap?
WRONG

Story is crap?
WRONG

The dialogue is crap?
WRONG!!!!

And you got a quote from someone (one person, might I add) to prove your point?
Great movies are approved as great.
Mediocre movies are seen as mediocre.
Bad movies are seen as bad.
Simple.
A LOT of people see this movie as an amazing film, and it is.

And I don't understand because I'm 15?
Bull. Shit!
Does that mean all the people that think the same as me only think that because they are 15?
Why even bring up age?
What a bullshit post.

A tantrum to defend Avatar?

Sapeod
09-18-2010, 04:06 PM
A tantrum to defend Avatar?
I defend anything that I like.

BigJohn
09-18-2010, 04:51 PM
I defend anything that I like.

Even when it's shit like this and you don't know what you are talking about?

Sapeod
09-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Even when it's shit like this and you don't know what you are talking about?
You think Avatar is shit?
And I don't know what I'm talking about?

I'm sorry, but I do know what I'm talking about, and Avatar is a great movie.

Just because you think otherwise doesn't mean you can say I don't know what I'm talking about :bigwave:
Because you know, that makes you look like a bigger douche, see?

Elena.
09-18-2010, 06:20 PM
i am a sci-fi freak and Star Trek was better for me ! :shrug:

BigJohn
09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
i am a sci-fi freak and Star Trek was better for me ! :shrug:

Of course Star Trek was a better movie. That is pretty obvious.

Sapeod
09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Star Trek was a great movie too, but not better than Avatar imo.

Ben.
09-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Avatar is quite simply not a good film. I don't even buy into the argument that it is a beautiful film, cgi just isn't pretty to look at for me. Watch Days Of Heaven (or anything by Malick), Barry Lyndon or The Assassination Of Jesse James (or anything shot by Roger Deakins) to see some truly beautiful cinematography.

The characters are indeed poorly developed, particularly Ribisi's and Lang's characters, just pantomime vilains. The acting is passable for the most part, aside from the wooden Sam Worthington, but the actors have nothing to work with from the scrpit it seems, it is obviously not a character piece, and yes the dialogue was truly the worst part of the film. Nothing sticks out worse than cliched and on the nose dialogue, it was cringe worthy at times, the unobtanium macguffin just sounds lazy and forced, and yes I realise this is a real term but it just came off terribly. Nothing needs to be said about the plot, directly lifted from one of any number of films. Cameron has stated though that he has no intentions of making a good film, he just wants to make a big spectacle that everyone can enjoy and will reach everybody, in other words his films are purposely dumbed down in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

BigJohn
09-18-2010, 06:52 PM
it's one of the best movies ever made.

Worst post of the year.

The acting is crap?
WRONG

Story is crap?
WRONG

The dialogue is crap?
WRONG!!!!

You think Avatar is shit?
And I don't know what I'm talking about?

I'm sorry, but I do know what I'm talking about, and Avatar is a great movie.

The bold part is kind of in total contradiction with everything else you say.

But it makes perfect sense coming from a 15 yo.

BigJohn
09-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Avatar is quite simply not a good film. I don't even buy into the argument that it is a beautiful film, cgi just isn't pretty to look at for me. Watch Days Of Heaven (or anything by Malick), Barry Lyndon or The Assassination Of Jesse James (or anything shot by Roger Deakins) to see some truly beautiful cinematography.

:worship:

finishingmove
09-18-2010, 07:59 PM
avatar isn't even in the top100 movies on imdb.com

:confused:

Sapeod
09-19-2010, 06:24 PM
The bold part is kind of in total contradiction with everything else you say.

But it makes perfect sense coming from a 15 yo.
Coming from you, the fact you're being a fool isn't surprising.
avatar isn't even in the top100 movies on imdb.com

:confused:
Which is a pity, it deserves it.
Some people just vote it a 1 so it will fall down, truly pitiful.
Fully deserves a top 50 place at least.

scarecrows
09-19-2010, 06:37 PM
i entered here to post that Inception is the best movie of the year and opened imdb beforehand to see it was listed and was amazed to see it as no.4
maybe a bit too much and it'll surely fall in the next months but it shows that it's indeed a great movie

Sapeod
09-19-2010, 07:06 PM
i entered here to post that Inception is the best movie of the year and opened imdb beforehand to see it was listed and was amazed to see it as no.4
maybe a bit too much and it'll surely fall in the next months but it shows that it's indeed a great movie
Haven't seen Inception, but it was as high as no.2 on there.

Shawshank Redemption hasn't been removed from no.1 by any movie except for The Dark Knight.

Avatar should have a much higher placing.

Lopez
09-19-2010, 07:27 PM
I watched Avatar some time ago for the first time and it was pretty awful. BS dialogue, BS plot (Pocahontas anyone?), BS acting. Very nice graphics though. Didn't win any of the important Oscars, great :yeah:. Surely doesn't deserve top100.

The Godfather has replaced Shawshank Redemption as the nr 1 movie many times, they've exchanged it between each other for quite some time now IIRC.

Inception was ok but it's overrated as well. Too many plotholes unless you go by the cheap route and interpret the whole movie as a dream.

BigJohn
09-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Coming from you, the fact you're being a fool isn't surprising.

Your sign claims you are controversial and outspoken, in fact you are just a loud dumbass.

Sapeod
09-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Your sign claims you are controversial and outspoken, in fact you are just a loud dumbass.
The controversial bit is just there, just cause. The outspoken bit is there because I am outspoken.

Talking about dumbasses, I hear this FitJohn guy is quite the specimen.

BigJohn
09-19-2010, 08:02 PM
The controversial bit is just there, just cause. The outspoken bit is there because I am outspoken.

Talking about dumbasses, I hear this FitJohn guy is quite the specimen.

If I wanted my own comeback...

Har-Tru
09-20-2010, 03:24 PM
I watched Avatar some time ago for the first time and it was pretty awful. BS dialogue, BS plot (Pocahontas anyone?), BS acting. Very nice graphics though. Didn't win any of the important Oscars, great :yeah:. Surely doesn't deserve top100.

The Godfather has replaced Shawshank Redemption as the nr 1 movie many times, they've exchanged it between each other for quite some time now IIRC.

Inception was ok but it's overrated as well. Too many plotholes unless you go by the cheap route and interpret the whole movie as a dream.

More like Dances with Wolves.

Lopez
09-20-2010, 03:41 PM
More like Dances with Wolves.

:yeah:. Good call.

But really, the "oh let's infiltrate them and then fall in love with them and then defend them from the evil that you used to represent" -story is VERY used.

Sapeod
09-20-2010, 04:14 PM
:yeah:. Good call.

But really, the "oh let's infiltrate them and then fall in love with them and then defend them from the evil that you used to represent" -story is VERY used.
Pity that you give a shit about that [it really is].
The story is far from original, sure...
...but it's still a great film [great graphics and visuals, great action scenes great music, don't know why everyone's bitching about the acting and dialogue, because they're fine].
You may not think so, because you can't look past unoriginality ~~ but that's your problem.

Priam
09-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Tbh, I was really not impressed by the story. Pocahontas? The visuals though (3d+imax) were stunning. Movie was kinda long too for me. I don't know, but I think I'd probably take this one over Titanic.

Ivanatis
09-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Avatar was ok, not in the dimension that it deserved most-grossing movie ever, but still waaaay better than Titanic

anyway, best SciFi film from last year was District 9, easily:dance:

Ben.
09-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Avatar was ok, not in the dimension that it deserved most-grossing movie ever, but still waaaay better than Titanic

anyway, best SciFi film from last year was District 9, easily:dance:

District 9 was indeed better, funnily enough the plot isn't too different from Avatar's. The problem with District 9 though is it starts really well with the documentary-like opening but devolves into your basic action scifi for the last third or so of the movie, still infinitely more interesting than Avatar though.

Priam
09-20-2010, 05:25 PM
My Top 5 cameron films

1. T2
2. Avatar
3. Aliens
4. The Abyss
5. Terminator

Har-Tru
09-20-2010, 06:17 PM
I watched it in 3D and I have to say the special effects, graphics and all were stunning, which made the film worth watching despite the weak and ripped-off plot.

Sapeod
09-20-2010, 06:31 PM
District 9 was very good, I enjoyed it.
That and Avatar are my favourite films from 2009.

Cameron is very good at sequels too, so Avatar 2 should be just as good, if not better than Avatar.

Aliens, Terminator 2...both great films that will be remember for a long time. Let's hope Avatar 2 keeps Cameron's amazing film record going...

finishingmove
09-20-2010, 06:39 PM
So what did you all enjoy in District 9 ?

Sapeod
09-20-2010, 06:54 PM
So what did you all enjoy in District 9 ?
It's just a great movie.
I enjoyed everything in it, especially the action scenes.

Dunno about everyone else.
You didn't enjoy it, I'm guessing?

finishingmove
09-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Story about human rights told with alien protagonists = teaching kids sex with bee metaphors?

:shrug:

Sapeod
09-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Story about human rights told with alien protagonists = teaching kids sex with bee metaphors?

:shrug:
If that's what you think :shrug:

finishingmove
09-20-2010, 07:17 PM
If that's what you think :shrug:

What is it that YOU think ?

Other than liking the action scenes.

Ivanatis
09-20-2010, 07:32 PM
I think the main character is so not "from zero to hero" as he is in Avatar and thus way more entertaining to watch imo. The prawns are also much more interesting to me than the Navi'i. And there's some wonderfully sublime humour in District 9, sth. that Avatar lacks completely, probably also thanks to how the main character was written. Gotta love the scene in which he throws catfood after them.

finishingmove
09-20-2010, 07:37 PM
The main character is antipathic from start to finish, and too antipathic. Everything else is also over the top, too much caricature for my liking.

I see you have 'Lost in translation' featured as your avatar, great movie imo.

Collective
09-20-2010, 07:48 PM
I didn't like District 9 too much either. I was expecting it to deliver at some point and two thirds into the movie I just gave up all hope. Not solid.

Sapeod
09-20-2010, 08:01 PM
What is it that YOU think ?

Other than liking the action scenes.
I love everything about the movie.
I can't really find anything I don't like about it.
I guess that's just me, being the movie freak that I am.

finishingmove
09-20-2010, 08:05 PM

fair enough. i think the movie would've been a lot better with a different lead. i'll give it that.

seen any good 2010 movies?

Sapeod
09-20-2010, 08:32 PM
fair enough. i think the movie would've been a lot better with a different lead. i'll give it that.

seen any good 2010 movies?
Not really :lol:
I've yet to see Inception, and that sounds good.

Priam
09-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Not really :lol:
I've yet to see Inception, and that sounds good.

Best movie of 2010 so far for me.

BigJohn
09-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Best movie of 2010 so far for me.

The big ones are about to come out the next few months, but so far, it is the one that stands out. Expect many Oscars nominations.

Deserved in that case, as opposed to (back to topic) Avatar's nominations...

Priam
09-21-2010, 02:47 AM
Have you seen the re-release? I saw it twice on its original run so I'm a little hesitant to do so again.

BigJohn
09-21-2010, 02:49 AM
Seeing that once was one time too many.

Priam
09-21-2010, 02:54 AM
Seeing that once was one time too many.

Apparently it has added footage among others, but I know what you mean.

Lopez
09-21-2010, 02:13 PM

It's just a great movie.
I enjoyed everything in it, especially the action scenes.

Dunno about everyone else.
You didn't enjoy it, I'm guessing?

Pity that you give a shit about that [it really is].
The story is far from original, sure...
...but it's still a great film [great graphics and visuals, great action scenes great music, don't know why everyone's bitching about the acting and dialogue, because they're fine].
You may not think so, because you can't look past unoriginality ~~ but that's your problem.

You do seem to be a huge movie freak :yeah:.

Speaking of action, I hear the Expendables is the best movie of the year. You'll appreciate it :lol:. If you're not old enough to see it live, download it ;)

finishingmove
09-21-2010, 02:41 PM
:spit:

i heard Expendables is quite good actually.

Priam
09-21-2010, 03:20 PM
:spit:

i heard Expendables is quite good actually.

Great. Reminded me of the classic 80s action films, hated Jet Li in it though.

Wish they'd gotten Van Damme or Segal instead. And Chuck Norris too.

Sapeod
09-21-2010, 10:08 PM
You do seem to be a huge movie freak :yeah:.
You do know what "especially" means?
Speaking of action, I hear the Expendables is the best movie of the year. You'll appreciate it :lol:. If you're not old enough to see it live, download it ;)
I don't appreciate action films unless they're good films.
The Expendables doesn't look like anything special, so I'm not going to bother watching it.

I'm 15, it's rated 15. You bloody well knew that so cut the crap. I'm not going to bother watching it live (or watch it at all, unless I'm bored) because I don't really give a shit whether I see it or not.

Speaking of great action films, I hear Kick-Ass is very good.

scarecrows
01-24-2012, 02:34 PM
so, 2 years later

wonder if bilbo has changed his mind about this being the movie of the century