Ferrero vs. Koubek - The Summer Rivalry Countinues in Flushing [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ferrero vs. Koubek - The Summer Rivalry Countinues in Flushing

Leo
09-03-2004, 06:28 AM
Well these two can't stay apart this summer. They met up in the 2nd round of Wimbledon, with Ferrero having to save a match point before winning 8-6 in the fifth by the narrowest of amrgins. Then Koubek took revenge on Ferrero with a tight two-set win in the Gstaad 2nd round after Juan Carlos served for the first set. Now they meet for the third time in the past few months (on three different surfaces, no less) and it's a tough call to make. Your thoughts?

Chloe le Bopper
09-03-2004, 07:44 AM
Sigh. I'd like to think that Ferrero will not lose in the second round. I really want to believe that the Zib match will turn him around somehow. If I'm not mistaken, Koubek had to play 5 sets too. I was actually hoping that Bogomolov would win it, since I don't like Ferrero against Koubek these days at all. Best of luck to him.

Frommage A Trois
09-03-2004, 07:51 AM
Sigh. I'd like to think that Ferrero will not lose in the second round. I really want to believe that the Zib match will turn him around somehow. If I'm not mistaken, Koubek had to play 5 sets too. I was actually hoping that Bogomolov would win it, since I don't like Ferrero against Koubek these days at all. Best of luck to him.

Koubek loves the 5 setters and come on Koubek, but Ferrero will win.

Lalitha
09-03-2004, 07:53 AM
I want Ferrero to win, I don't want him to lose in the second round or lose to Koubek the second time this year. Koubek also played 5 sets that day, but today is a new day and a new match. I hope Ferrero comes out with a victory.

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 07:59 AM
Lets go Koubek.

trixy
09-03-2004, 08:37 AM
I hope Ferrero can win..it would be nice for him to have a good showing here, to put some light into an otherwise dismel yr.

joske
09-03-2004, 09:23 AM
Ferrero must win! :) go Juanqui...

Kristen
09-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Koubek has the potential to do it. I don't know if he will, but he could. Ferrero still seems sonewhat weak to me? Just a little bit off his usual good game. I'd prefer to see Koubek into the next round. It doesnt matter really. If PimPim defeats JMG, then they're gonna lose anyway ;) (whoa! Cocky!)

Ferrero Forever
09-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Ferrero will win, because he's just the best and he can defeat ANYBODY when in top form, even though he isn't in top form i still expect that he can defeat the likes of Koubek. His condition has improved since Gstaad so he should, no WILL beat Koubek

PerezRoldan
09-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Good to see that JL is holding true to form and disregarding Koubek as a chance to win. This is the kind of the thing that would make me cheer against Ferrero, while not disliking him or his game.

Kristen
09-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Good to see that JL is holding true to form and disregarding Koubek as a chance to win. This is the kind of the thing that would make me cheer against Ferrero, while not disliking him or his game.

What can I say...but, "DITTO!"
I'd be happy to agree to disagree, if there were decent arguments like Ferrero's current form, etc. Kom igen Stefan :yeah: :wavey: of is it Auf Gefts? or something... :confused:

Neely
09-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Koubek loves the 5 setters and come on Koubek, but Ferrero will win.
exactly, the problem with Koubek is that he really has the ability to play very well, but you can defeat him easily if you destroy his hopes early in the set. (e.g. breaking him, racing to a 3-0 or 4-1 lead). Koubek is IMO the ultimate tanker, if seen it so many times, if he sees he hasn't got anymore a chance in a set he totally tanks it, especially in a best-of-five, even when he is down just one early break and he doesn't care if he's losing 0-6 or 1-6. Meanwhile Koubek also was upset with a wrong call and he lost his rhythm badly. I'm quite sure if Bogomolov Jr. would have taken one his early break points in the first game of the fifth set Koubek would be done and he also choked towards the end a bit where Bogomolov Jr. had even the chance to come back from two breaks down with Koubek serving for the match for the 2nd time.

BTW... positive news for Koubek are that his shoulder is much better again than it was at Long Island when it was acting up.

If Koubek has a good day I'm sure he is able to challenge Ferrero (and he can even win against him), but if not or if Ferrero can finally play like in 2003, Koubek will IMO get blown out by Ferrero.

Bilbo
09-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Koubek is a wreck

Ferrero must defend some of his points ;)

Crazy_Fool
09-03-2004, 02:50 PM
I hope Ferrero wins, but not at all confident at the moment, especially considering his struggles against Koubek(on clay!!) this year. I hope JC can pull through and isn't too tired from the other day.

RogiFan88
09-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Just win it Juanqui... in straights preferably... but I won't be too greedy...

|-Safin_Coria-|
09-03-2004, 04:29 PM
all i can say is i hope Ferrero wins!
Vamos Juan-Carlos!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Kristen
09-03-2004, 09:23 PM
I just want to say...

*BUMP* and kom igen/auf gefts stefan!
Now, I have to go to bed :'(

Havok
09-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Bye bye JCF to the top 10.:( Now that the final Grand Slam is out of the way he should not play tennis until he has to defend his MAdrid TMS event. He needs to imrpove physically and mentaly, and he needs to work on his game big time.:o

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Congratulation to all the people that voted for Koubek.