The MMA thread - UFC, Pride, Strikeforce etc. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The MMA thread - UFC, Pride, Strikeforce etc.

Lopez
12-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Any other MMA followers here?

It's still pretty difficult to follow MMA here in Finland but we do get the Ultimate Figher reality show here and some channel show the UFC (at ridiculous hours though). I usually check the dates of each event and then try to find the matches online.

Got interested in MMA via TUF. I used to practice judo when I was a lot younger and have now taken up karate. I now also interested in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but I probably won't find the time, with gym, tennis, karate and golf (in addition to university studies and occasional working) taking up all of my time.

Favorite fighter is probably Lyoto Machida.

Clydey
12-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Any other MMA followers here?

It's still pretty difficult to follow MMA here in Finland but we do get the Ultimate Figher reality show here and some channel show the UFC (at ridiculous hours though). I usually check the dates of each event and then try to find the matches online.

Got interested in MMA via TUF. I used to practice judo when I was a lot younger and have now taken up karate. I now also interested in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but I probably won't find the time, with gym, tennis, karate and golf (in addition to university studies and occasional working) taking up all of my time.

Favorite fighter is probably Lyoto Machida.

Right here, bud. Massive MMA fan. Stuck £10 on a treble this weekend. Sanchez, Mir, and Florian to win.

Hard to say who my favourite fighter is. I like aggressive Jiu Jitsu fighters, like Frank Mir. I'm actually a huge fan of Shogun, though. I thought he won the fight with Machida. So yeah, I'll be up until like 5am watching UFC 107 in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Action Jackson
12-11-2009, 02:36 PM
UFC is gaining popularity. They are coming to Australia and the Sydney show sold out in 10 minutes.

Clydey
12-11-2009, 02:43 PM
UFC is gaining popularity. They are coming to Australia and the Sydney show sold out in 10 minutes.

Yeah, UFC is already huge. It's just getting bigger, though. Only a matter of time before it overtakes boxing, which has a lot of problems outside of its massive superfights.

Action Jackson
12-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Gaining even more popularity. I mean there is a demographic out there for it, the guys that like the WWE have converted and then as you said the boxing fans as well.

Clydey
12-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Gaining even more popularity. I mean there is a demographic out there for it, the guys that like the WWE have converted and then as you said the boxing fans as well.

Got a few of my boxing mates into it now. They initially had a some reservations about the ground game, but they've grown to appreciate it.

Action Jackson
12-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Lot of my friends are doing this now, interesting some come from boxing grounds and struggle with grappling and vice versa.

JMG
12-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Are there no problems in other countries? In Germany the politics and media are trying to make MMA look brutal and inhuman. They even wanted to forbid the UFC in Cologne this year. :help:

Even after the Cologne show there were still mostly bad articles, e.g. insisting that MMA isn't a sport, that there are basically no rules ("everything is allowed"), that most of the spectators are skinheads and have tattoos etc, which is a ridiculous.

Clydey
12-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Are there no problems in other countries? In Germany the politics and media are trying to make MMA look brutal and inhuman. They even wanted to forbid the UFC in Cologne this year. :help:

Even after the Cologne show there were still mostly bad articles, e.g. insisting that MMA isn't a sport, that there are basically no rules ("everything is allowed"), that most of the spectators are skinheads and have tattoos etc, which is a ridiculous.

I'm sure there are problems. There are many misconceptions about the sport of MMA. Both logically and statistically, it is safer than boxing. There are many different ways to win an MMA match. The goal in boxing, however, is to pound your opponent to the head and body with 16 ounce gloves, which actually cause a fighter to take more sustained damage.

I think there are a few reasons for the misconceptions. Firstly, UFC bouts take place in a cage. Without having seen an MMA fight, that sounds brutal to the uninitiated. In reality, it's no more brutal than a fight taking place in a boxing ring. Secondly, there's still a stigma attached as a result of the early, no-holds-barred days of the UFC. Now, that was vicious. The sport is nothing like it was then.

Lopez
12-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Right here, bud. Massive MMA fan. Stuck £10 on a treble this weekend. Sanchez, Mir, and Florian to win.

Hard to say who my favourite fighter is. I like aggressive Jiu Jitsu fighters, like Frank Mir. I'm actually a huge fan of Shogun, though. I thought he won the fight with Machida. So yeah, I'll be up until like 5am watching UFC 107 in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Yeah I watched that and thought that Lyoto had lost, he deserved to lose IMO, Shogun was spot on with his tactics and execution.

I'm not sure which fighters I like the best, maybe the same, aggressive jiu jitsu and also those who have great standup skills... I dislike the ground and pound wrestlers, they make for boring fights mostly (i.e. Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Leben in TUF season 1)

Clydey
12-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah I watched that and thought that Lyoto had lost, he deserved to lose IMO, Shogun was spot on with his tactics and execution.

I'm not sure which fighters I like the best, maybe the same, aggressive jiu jitsu and also those who have great standup skills... I dislike the ground and pound wrestlers, they make for boring fights mostly (i.e. Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Leben in TUF season 1)

Yep, I don't like the fighters who are content to just try and strike from inside their opponent's guard, or "lay and pray" as it's called. That's not fun to watch. I much prefer an aggressive ground game. I don't mind if a fighter keep trying to get an opponent down, so long as their intention is to finish the fight. Demian Maia is a good example of a fighter who is extremely aggressive with his submissions when he gets down there. He throws up one submission after another.

I also appreciate some of the top strikers. Silva and Machida are good examples of that. Machida is so economical, but extremely accurate. And Anderson Silva is just a phenom on his feet. It was almost embarrassin how easily he put away Forrest Griffin.

Bibberz
12-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah, UFC is already huge. It's just getting bigger, though. Only a matter of time before it overtakes boxing, which has a lot of problems outside of its massive superfights.

Definitely. Basically any kid growing up in America who likes boxing also has some interest in MMA, but there are a TON of kids who like MMA and only MMA.

Speaking of superfights--I'm coming, Clydey. And I'm bringing the thunder.

Clydey
12-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Definitely. Basically any kid growing up in America who likes boxing also has some interest in MMA, but there are a TON of kids who like MMA and only MMA.

Speaking of superfights--I'm coming, Clydey. And I'm bringing the thunder.

You vill lose.

http://lago.unblog.fr/files/2007/05/rockyiv.jpg

Clydey
12-13-2009, 05:04 AM
Two down, one to go. Great performances from Florian and Mir. Need Sanchez to upset Penn for a £60 payout.

Clydey
12-13-2009, 05:46 AM
It was a long shot. BJ was far too good for Sanchez.

Lopez
12-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I like KenFlo, seems to be a smart guy in addition to his nice skills. Though the punch towards the opponent after the win is a bit lame IMO.

Happy that Penn won, can't stand Sanchez for some reason. Maybe it's the whole Jesus thing.

Lopez
12-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Maaaaan I was watching the end of Penn/Sanchez just as I wrote that message above and now saw Diego's cut... That's NASTY. Biggest I've ever seen.

Henry Chinaski
12-13-2009, 05:22 PM
You know when you've just lost in Street Fighter and you get a picture of your beaten up character while you have 10 seconds to put in more coins to continue?

That's what Sanchez looked like last night. His face was a complete mess. He showed great heart and a strong chin to even survive the first round but he looked completely outclassed in there.

Lopez
12-13-2009, 07:41 PM
You know when you've just lost in Street Fighter and you get a picture of your beaten up character while you have 10 seconds to put in more coins to continue?

That's what Sanchez looked like last night. His face was a complete mess. He showed great heart and a strong chin to even survive the first round but he looked completely outclassed in there.

You hit the nail on the head with that comment :lol:

Lopez
12-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Speaking of videogames, anyone else have the UFC Undisputed 2009 game? It's pretty nice, though the career mode gets a "bit" repetitive after successfully completing it a few times. Additionally, if you want to create a superfighter, you basically have to reload every time you fail to get max points in sparring sessions etc...

But it's a cool game, really takes some skill and you can't win just by hitting the buttons randomly.

Lopez
12-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Have to bump this after UFC 140 last night.

Great fights and brutal submission by Mir, why Nogueira didn't tap out is a mystery.

RIboy
12-11-2011, 12:16 PM
amazing night, Mir was cold out and then submitted Nog 30 sec later....Nog won't tap unless hand is broken, he is one tough motherfu**er...Machida didn't tap either

Clydey
12-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Have to bump this after UFC 140 last night.

Great fights and brutal submission by Mir, why Nogueira didn't tap out is a mystery.

Incredible event. Big Nog did tap after his shoulder/elbow popped, but he should really have tapped sooner. Mir is known for breaking bones if he gets a hold of a limb.

No one is beating Jones any time soon.

Lopez
12-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Jones is a freak of nature, I still can't grasp the proportions of his body. His limbs are so long it's ridiculous.

Would like to see him fight Silva.

allpro
12-12-2011, 05:36 AM
jon jones is by far and away the greatest athlete alive today. period.

ufc 140... phenomenal card :drink::hatoff::smoke:

allpro
12-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Would like to see him fight Silva.

i'm sure jones would love to settle the p4p debate at a catchweight of 197-198 lbs but i doubt spider would accept. he knows he would lose that fight, badly.

Lopez
12-12-2011, 10:59 AM
i'm sure jones would love to settle the p4p debate at a catchweight of 197-198 lbs but i doubt spider would accept. he knows he would lose that fight, badly.

He is a lot smaller which is a great disadvantage but he's a superior striker and Jones would have to close in if he wanted to clinch and take anderson down. Don't think it's as clear cut as you make it seem.

allpro
12-12-2011, 06:43 PM
He is a lot smaller which is a great disadvantage but he's a superior striker and Jones would have to close in if he wanted to clinch and take anderson down. Don't think it's as clear cut as you make it seem.

at 36 y.o. spider would have no chance in a five-round, championship/main-event format. he'd keep it competitive in the 1st rd with some clean strikes and defensive skills, but bones’ relentless pressure and will would eventually get to him and he’d get ko’ed or submitted in the 2nd.

bad gambler
12-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Overeem not fighting in UFC 141?

Henry Chinaski
12-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Jones is amazing but I could never be a fan of that sort of arrogant, outwardly-religious creep.

Clydey
12-13-2011, 04:28 AM
Jones is amazing but I could never be a fan of that sort of arrogant, outwardly-religious creep.

Yeah, I think the guy is incredible at what he does. I just don't like him, though. I have gone off Greg Jackson too since hearing this. Very disingenuous.

j4JARf8nCpE

Clydey
12-13-2011, 04:30 AM
at 36 y.o. spider would have no chance in a five-round, championship/main-event format. he'd keep it competitive in the 1st rd with some clean strikes and defensive skills, but bones’ relentless pressure and will would eventually get to him and he’d get ko’ed or submitted in the 2nd.

I think the wrestling would be the difference. Jones' greco is far too good. As good as Anderson's clinch is, a high level greco clinch is just a different leve of control.

Overeem not fighting in UFC 141?

Not sure yet. There's some drug testing issue going on at the moment. He needs to do a few things, including provide a new urine sample, before they clear him to fight.

Henry Chinaski
12-13-2011, 04:36 AM
Yeah, I think the guy is incredible at what he does. I just don't like him, though. I have gone off Greg Jackson too since hearing this. Very disingenuous.

j4JARf8nCpE

wow. Hadn't seen that.

While I suspect such motives often play a part in acts of apparent sportsmanship across all sports, it's still pretty creepy to see it laid out like that

Clydey
12-13-2011, 04:38 AM
wow. Hadn't seen that.

While I suspect such motives often play a part in acts of apparent sportsmanship across all sports, it's still pretty creepy to see it laid out like that

I'd like to think most are genuine when they check on their opponent. Surprised at Greg Jackson, since he has always seemed like one of the good guys. He has since attempted to explain what he said.

fast_clay
12-13-2011, 04:46 AM
:lol: get some fans... ffs

Clydey
12-13-2011, 04:56 AM
:lol: get some fans... ffs

I'm gonna say that to Henry after he wins his first round in the Pop Contest.

'Henry! Henry Chinaski! Henry Chinaski! Go check on jcempire, get some fans!'

allpro
12-13-2011, 05:02 AM

jones has found something which has transformed his life and now he’s a world champion. i have no problem with that. besides, he seems like a thoughtful, well-spoken and mature 24 y.o. who's handling the media quite well.
jetDVwhyGig

great write-up from davies....
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/garethadavies/100022358/ufc-jon-jones-the-usain-bolt-of-the-mma-universe-%E2%80%93-witness-the-genius-emerging/

Action Jackson
12-13-2011, 05:04 AM
Brock Lesnar would still have to be near the top of the biggest cockchimps in MMA.

TMJordan
12-13-2011, 05:20 AM
Brock Lesner is only about 2 and a half weeks away from getting his ass handed to him.

TMJordan
12-13-2011, 05:24 AM
Silva would have almost no chance against Jon Jones.

Anderson Silva will lose to Sonnen if he fights him again.

Lopez
12-13-2011, 06:28 AM

Yeah I always find it a bit funny when fighters thank god. "Thank you god for letting me kick this guys ass, you're so amazing!" :lol:.

Jones seems quite articulate and thoughtful, though there's a creepy and a fake side to him. And that Greg Jackson thing is just icing to the cake, Jones' first instinct was to let Lyoto faceplant to the ground (which he did).

RIboy
12-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Lesnar- The Reem...easy win for Brock, ground and pound...don't see how Alistair could win this fight
or
Lesnar- Mir....Mir by submission

Lopez
12-31-2011, 05:23 AM
Overeem :worship:. Vicious striking! My ribs almost cracked just watching that.

MaxPower
12-31-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm a bit disappointed with the match. I expected Lesnar to go for the takedown especially since he must have known Overeem would knee and kick any chance he gets.

To me it almost looked like he tanked the match once he got a taste of the Reems power. He began to turtle right away just like he did for parts vs Carwin and Velasquez. It's not like an experienced fighter like Overeem would gas out or anything. Lesnar had a shitty gameplan and should have done something. Even if a takedown attempt had been stuffed by the Reem that would at least get Alistair thinking and maybe not use knees and kicks so much.

Sure Lesnar might be a beast physically and have awesome wrestling but tbh he's not a natural fighter. He doesn't like to trade shots and when he doesn't like to get hit. Things probably didn't get better from his medical problems and surgery he did. Retiring was a good decision for him. If he doesn't have the will and passion anymore and even look a bit scared in the octagon he shouldn't be there.

Other things I enjoyed was Alexander "The Mauler" Gustafsson finishing another fight vs an experienced opponent. Extra cool since Sweden will get it's first UFC event in April now in 2012. I don't want to jump the gun or anything but maybe 2 more wins and he could be in line for a title shot. If he wins his next fight I could see him getting any of Rashad/Rampage/Shogun/Machida. Win there to and he is in line for a shot at Jon Jones. But yeah its a long way to go still

Lopez
12-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah I also thought it was weird Brock didn't try to take Overeem down more aggressively but maybe he thought that he might get caught if he went in recklessly.

I was rooting for Gustafsson as well :yeah:. Nice style. Hope he improves and gets a shot at the title.

allpro
01-04-2012, 02:39 AM
brutal liver shot by ubereem (brock thought he cracked a rib). losenar looked amateurish, confused, and without a plan b.

dos santos vs. overeem should be highly entertaining.

Lopez
02-05-2012, 11:14 AM
What do you make of last night's UFC 143?
A lot of decision victories in the main card. What do you think about the Condit/Diaz match? Did the right guy win? Is Diaz really retiring. To me, Diaz seems like a bit of a punk but he adds good flavour to the division.

allpro
02-07-2012, 09:38 AM
it was a close fight but i think the judges got it right....i scored it 48-47 condit. although diaz was the aggressor throughout and walked thru most of condit’s strikes (including those ridiculously ineffective spinning backfists), he was unable to cut off the octagon or hurt condit. all the taunting and goading merely reflected how frustrated he was, and while i don’t particularly care for condit’s constant backpedaling, he stuck to his game plan and in the end, his volume, activity and superior conditioning won the fight.

gsp v. condit will make for a far more intriguing fight than gsp v. diaz....though i pick gsp by unanimous decision over either fighter. yes, diaz is one tough hombre but he lacks the speed and technical skills to compete with a guy like gsp.

the co-main was entertaining as big country is always fun to watch with his face-first, bar-room brawl style. he took a few vicious knees to the face but kept moving forward despite a busted up and bloodied nose....you gotta love that. verdum is obviously working on his striking but he's still primarily a bjj fighter and remains a 2nd tier contender in the heavyweight division. he wasn't in great shape either (gasping for air midway thru the 2nd rd :o) and his punches and kicks were slow and telegraphed.

on a side note, it's shocking to consider that these two guys recently beat fedor and cro-cop - both legends of pride. it just goes to show how rapidly mma is evolving and to compete for a ufc world championship, you need ALL the tools - not just bjj, or wrestling, or striking.

allpro
02-07-2012, 09:55 AM
....and yeah, diaz thought he got robbed and acted like a little bitch during the post-fight interview with rogan.

"i don't need this shit anymore, i'm done" :baby:

MaxPower
02-07-2012, 10:13 AM
I think Diaz should have gotten the decision. Doesn't matter that Condit landed a few more strikes. He was clearly backpedaling the whole match and fought not to lose, more than to win.

Sure you can blame Diaz for not being able to pin him down and unload his combos but Condit is just as tall, a great mover and obviously had the gameplan of keeping in constant movement and counterpunch.

Diaz could have rushed in more and tried to clinch or go for takedowns but he clearly wanted a boxing match. Condit wanted to frustrate Diaz and get lucky if he overcommited but that didn't happen.

But to me Condit's gameplan kinda destroyed the entertainment. I think the judges should reward Octagon control more. Also factor in that Diaz had Condit's back which probably should have given him the 5th round and Diaz showed the most will to finish the fight.

I can understand that Diaz is mad because he wasn't hurt at all and he wasn't tired. Condit got the skills to win anyway and is a good finisher but for some reason he didn't want to play ball.

The co-main event was more entertaining and I was impressed by Werdums standup but Roy Nelson is very predictable. In heavyweight i think his only chance is to use his BJJ because he's good at locking people up on the ground with his fat and then punching them out. Obviously against Werdum he didn't want to try that and maybe that's why Werdum was so confident in using knees and kicks. I think Nelson should consider moving down a weightclass because in HW most opponents are so much taller and just picks him apart with jabs and kicks. Maybe he loves his food too much for that but he should give it a chance at least

bad gambler
02-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Great to see that punk Diaz lose.

But the UFC does lose out on a GSP v Diaz fight which would have had huge hype around it

allpro
07-03-2012, 09:36 PM
silva vs. sonnen II pre-fight conference call:

Question: Chael has said things like he didn’t know that they had the internet in Brazil, are clearly supposed to be ironic, but did he step over the line when he talked about your wife?

Anderson Silva: This dude is a criminal! He’s the scum of our sport! This dude doesn’t deserve to be in the UFC! He he’s a guy who had problems with the law in America! A guy who got caught on doping! A guy that doesn’t respect anything! The dude is an imbecile! And on the 7th of July I’m gonna break his entire face and all his teeth! I’m gonna rip all his teeth out of his mouth!

Question: Looking back at that first fight against Chael, do you believe you took him lightly in that fight? Why was it such a difficult fight for you until the fifth round?

Anderson Silva: Listen, he who lives out from the past are museums. I don’t live in the past. I’m gonna beat him again. There is not much to talk. I’m going to give him a beating! He’s listening, the time for the child to play is over. It doesn’t matter if he keeps saying silly things and whatever else he wants to say now. Talk is over! We are getting closer to the the time of truth! And I’m not hurt, I’m 100%...I’m gonna break his face! I’m gonna expel him from the UFC! He’s gonna have a beating like he never had in his life! I’m gonna beat him so he can learn some manners. I’m gonna give him the beating that his mummy and daddy should have gave him when he was a kid so he can learn some manners! Learn to respect other people and other countries!

Question: In the first fight with Chael, one of the surprising things was how much he outstruck you several times in the fight because you’re considered the top striker in the UFC, so I’m sure you’ll adjust to that. But how will you keep from being underneath him with Chael Sonnen on top of you for the better part of 4 ½ rounds?

Anderson Silva: Listen, from the bottom, the top, the side, on our feet...I’m going to beat him again. This time he’s gonna get beat up! Beat up! The small talk is over! When we get inside the cage, he’s gonna swallow every one of his teeth! I’m gonna rip tooth from tooth from his mouth. Every one of them! After I finish, a lot of people are going to be scared about the path that our sport is going to take. I’m dedicated, focus, prepared, and most of all, on a mission to make something that anybody did before at the UFC: break every single bone of Sonnen’s body! He’s gonna walk out with his face broken, arms broken, legs broken. I’m gonna break him up entirely. He’s listening. He’s gonna get his ass kicked! He’s gonna get a beatdown! He’ll need a stretch to get out from the octagon!

Question: Anderson, obviously this stuff with Chael has been very personal over the last couple of years, but for you personally, where does this fight rank in your legacy of the sport?

Anderson Silva: He didn’t affect me on my personal life. It’s all business. It’s professional fighting and I’m gonna get his ass kicked and give him a beatdown anyway. He’s gonna learn to respect Brazil, our fighters and the people that made and developed the sport that he practice. And forget about his wrestling. I’m gonna beat him up! Beat him up! I’m gonna break him up! This guy is a thug, a bum, a punk and I’m gonna give him a beating like he never got in his life! I’m gonna beat him because his mother never beat him. Never educated him.

So I’m gonna beat him up, I’m gonna rip his teeth off! I’m gonna break his arms and his legs! This dude will never talk trash about another fighter. I’m gonna break him up! You guys are not understanding what I’m saying, please pay attention, I’m serious, you guys can’t imagine what is going to happen. The time for playing is over! No more playing around! No more mister nice guy! He is going to be beat up! No more talk. Now is time for ass kicking! For brawling! He never had his ass kicked like I’m gonna do!

Question: In the documentary ‘Like Water’, we saw a much different build up to the last fight. What’s the biggest difference in your mindset now, versus let’s say when you were doing that documentary leading into that fight?

Anderson Silva: It won’t be much different from the last fight. Last time he lost. Now, he’s going to lose and he’ll leave the cage all broken up! He’ll need plastic surgery!

them's fightin' words!.....should be a barnburner along with ortiz/griffin.

Lopez
07-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Hope Silva beats that doping punk

Vinceremo
07-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Didn't know this thread existed! I was a bit surprised at first when I was looking through the Non-Tennis section and didn't see it since I know MMA is very popular in some countries, specially in USA. In Italy, not so much, but it has quite some followers for sure. I've been training Judo since I was 16 (with some JJ) and always liked pretty much all martial arts since when I was very young, my older brother used me as a 'sparring partner' :lol: to say it like that (he's an avid 'recreational' kickboxer). Began watching UFC and some Strikeforce events regularly only like a year and a half ago though, difference in time zones suck.

Looking forward to a quick, vicious finish by Silva too.

allpro
07-06-2012, 12:25 AM
QV2pmWpGUSg

:superlol: you gotta hand it to chael.....the guy's a promotional genius.

Shinoj
07-06-2012, 04:40 AM
I wanna take this MMA Up. Brock Lesnar was very good. Thats all i know.

Burrow
07-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I wanna take this MMA Up. Brock Lesnar was very good. Thats all i know.

Not really.

Vinceremo
07-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Saw the whole card this morning. Le-Cote was Fight of the Night IMO but I understand why they gave that prize to Tito-Forrest (emotional side for Ortiz's retirement of course). Cung always delivers with his awesome variety of kicks, too bad he's too old to challenge tougher competition and his cardio sucks.

Needless to say, I was mainly looking forward to the main event and the outcome was great! I'm pissed that the referee stopped it so quickly, Chael was done for sure but I wanted Anderson to do some more damage, he was going hard with the ground and pound! Knee to the body did the main damage, it was MEAN :worship:

Lopez
07-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Silva proves that he's the best pound for pound fighter in the world... Chael didn't have a chance. Nice to see that idiot lose.

The UFC have two dominating champions at the moment: Silva and Jones. Wonder when one of them will lose? Silva seems more likely simply because of his age.

Clydey
09-26-2012, 07:52 PM
My article on the role of religion in MMA.

http://www.h4-entertainment.com/2012/09/jon-jones-why-his-pious-claims-have-no-place-in-mma/

Lopez
09-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Good read, Clydey.

Don't really like Jones but he's an amazing athlete. Naturally talented and built for the sport.

Haven't watched that many events recently since I haven't been drunk on Saturday nights that often, usually then I tend to stay up for the UFC (which starts at 5 am here usually). Maybe next time I'll try to get up earlier :p

Vinceremo
09-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Good read, Clydey.

Don't really like Jones but he's an amazing athlete. Naturally talented and built for the sport.

Haven't watched that many events recently since I haven't been drunk on Saturday nights that often, usually then I tend to stay up for the UFC (which starts at 5 am here usually). Maybe next time I'll try to get up earlier :p

Jones is indeed an amazing athlete but i'm still not entirely sold on his hype and how some people consider him to be in 'GOAT' contention. Excluding Evans and Machida, his remaining wins are against fighters way past their prime unfortunately and it's tough not to notice and point out his huge physical advantage (longest reach in MMA and as tall as most HWs). If he goes up to HW like he plans to, i definitely think he'll have a very hard time but, actually, he's got no obligation to do it so one would think he'll continue with the domination.

I actually never watch the events live for the same reason, there's a great free web page that uploads pretty much all MMA, kickboxing and boxing events though (right after they finish) so I watch them on sundays. Maybe you know which one i'm referring to, initials are 'F4A'. I don't know if it's within the rules of the forum to post the actual link so if you want I can tell you the name via rep or PM.

MaxPower
09-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Jones is really good yes. A prime physical specimen. Many of the contenders have been too old/short/slow to really compete with him.

Belfort had a shot with that armbar in the 1st round but when the fighters get sweaty it's gonna be very hard to submit a fast tall fighter with good wrestling skills.

Think the best shot at beating Jones is to clock him with a quick 1-2. Never gonna get chance to throw long combos.

I think one of the best contenders left is Alexander Gustafsson. He goes up against Shogun next and if he wins that it makes a lot of sense to put him up against Jones. He got knockout power and is tall so unlike guys like Belfort he won't get his legs kicked apart. He's also same age and very fast too. I think he could give Jones a real test.

My article on the role of religion in MMA.

http://www.h4-entertainment.com/2012/09/jon-jones-why-his-pious-claims-have-no-place-in-mma/

good article. Many brazilian fighters are even worse. I always facepalm when after a brutal knockout they get the mic and first thing they say is "I WANT TO THANK JESUS!" Really? Really???

Vinceremo
09-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Belfort's gameplan against Jones was plain terrible, it's like he sort of gave up after the failed armbar attempt and then killed himself by pulling guard constantly. I agree with the strategy you mention and i actually thought Vitor was going to be able to get inside, close the reach gap and tag him but he never really pulled the trigger.

Fully agree with what you said about Gustafsson too, can't root against Shogun but at this stage Alex is really the only threat left for Jones. Maybe Glover Tex too if he can string a few solid wins now in UFC, can't count him out.

MaxPower
09-28-2012, 08:09 PM
yeah :/ that "almost" submission made him think that he could do it again. Pulling guard is a terrible strategy always unless you are A) much better than opponent in the groundgame or B) got wobbly legs after a huge hit and quickly need to get it to the ground to recover or risk getting knocked out

Belfort was too passive in the stand up as well. Should have done more rushes and tried getting Jones against the fence so he could unleash at least a 3-4 punch combo. Now Jones just took one step backwards and the attack was over.

Also must say that Jon Jones stomping and kicking the knees is not OK. It's allowed in the rules yes but I think it's a question of sportsmanship.

Only reason to ever kick the knees would be to injure. Those kicks wont fatigue or otherwise give any advantage unless you injure the guy so he can't continue fighting. In my book knee stomps shouldn't be allowed because if you wreck something important in the knee it's often surgery + 6+ months of recovery or worst case = career over.

Clydey
09-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Here's my lighthearted examination of beards and their role in MMA.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1353123-mma-a-practical-examination-of-facial-hair-and-its-role-in-mixed-martial-arts

Vinceremo
10-14-2012, 08:02 PM
So just finished watching UFC 153 main card fights and there's just a couple things that I have to say:

- Anderson is the P4P MMA GOAT, just no doubt in my mind after his performance yesterday. He absolutely destroyed Bonnar mentally more than physically and stoled his SOUL. Just one of the craziest fights I've ever seen.

http://www.abload.de/img/untitled-3wesis.gif

- Glover Teixeira is a beast and Fabio Maldonado has got to have one of the best chins and heart in combat sports period, one of the most brutal beatdowns that I can remember yet he wanted to continue when the fight should've been over way before.

Vinceremo
11-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Wonder why martial arts gets so few/no love in the board considering there've been legends from basically ALL continents through history! I know it's very popular in North America with the biggets organizations being there currently but I believe in South America it's pretty big too and growing in Europe! There are many small events in Italy but the culture of the sport is not big enough, even if growing.

UFC 154 will be held today and Sakara, the only italian in the roster, is most likely being cut if he doesn't pull the win. Tough one since it's a fight were one's got an iron chin and Legio, well, a glass one :o Still WAR LEGIONARIVS!

Lopez
11-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Yeah it's not that popular here, as the activity in the thread shows.

For me, I haven't watched it live in a while since they almost always start at really uncomfortable times.

allpro
11-21-2012, 11:36 PM
forget about the silva-gsp fight....it ain't happening. le québécois would get slaughtered in under 3 minutes.

allpro
11-21-2012, 11:41 PM
memo to white and the fertitta bros.: silva vs. jones....MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Lopez
11-22-2012, 09:42 AM
memo to white and the fertitta bros.: silva vs. jones....MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Would be awesome :yeah:

Action Jackson
11-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Bring back Clydey.

allpro
01-03-2013, 01:22 AM
cain velasquez is a warrior. he dominated every aspect of the fight (standup included;)) and his constant pressure and takedowns left jds completely gassed after 1 rd. props to the brazilian for surviving the 25 min. beatdown.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
01-03-2013, 04:43 AM
mma just doesnt have the drama and exitement of boxing

i know there is an art in the take down and ground and pound... but its boring as heck to watch on tv

thats why anderson silva is such a great mma fighter. his striking and his ability to maintain distance and in ring general ship- is second to none

but no mma fight is ever as exiting as watching a great boxing match

haggler hearns
haggler leonard
eubank benn
roy jones vs anyone in the 90s
pacquiao vs any mexican fighter
or just watching mayweather being a boxing genius (with mayweather its not boxing, its art)

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
01-03-2013, 04:44 AM
with all that said

i f*ckin loved watching fedor and the axe murderer back in the day in pride
cro cops legendary kicking

Vinceremo
01-09-2013, 10:34 PM
mma just doesnt have the drama and exitement of boxing

i know there is an art in the take down and ground and pound... but its boring as heck to watch on tv

thats why anderson silva is such a great mma fighter. his striking and his ability to maintain distance and in ring general ship- is second to none

but no mma fight is ever as exiting as watching a great boxing match

I hate to disagree, but have to!

IMO, is the other way around with MMA being way more exciting than boxing. Mixed martial arts involve, like it's name suggests, a combination of many disciplines including boxing were, precisely, the clash of styles between the fighters is what makes it SO much more unpredictable than boxing, were you will probably see half the upsets and the superior boxer will prevail most of the times (not always, I know there are many notable examples). The technique and strategies involved in MMA are extremely important, it's great to see fighters that have a base in very different martial arts trying to impose their will. Unfortunately, I agree in the sense that it could be getting a bit more boring with the inclusion of so many wrestling-based ones... for me, there's nothing better to see in MMA events than a wrestler being submitted by a jiu jitsu fighter or judoka. Awesome moments.

Great taste with the Spider, he's second to none IMO.

moon language
07-07-2013, 10:23 AM
How about UFC 162? Craziness!

kmplex
07-08-2013, 01:40 AM
How about UFC 162? Craziness!

Yeah came as quite a shocker! Everyone was talking about it today in the office for our men's magazine (http://nextluxury.com). Seemed like Silva was taunting Weidman pretty well, but Weidman keep his cool like a man should and went in for the hook and win. All in all, awesome night!

Lopez
07-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Silva finally gets punished for his showboating. Gotta say though, the way he dodged most of Weidmans shots was impressive until he finally got caught :p

allpro
07-22-2013, 01:11 AM
spider's clowning is almost as bad as his takedown defense http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/130/disapppointing.gif. frankly, i don't think he wants any part of a jon jones megafight. he knows he'd get floored in about 10 seconds, followed by a vicious barrage of elbow strikes to end the fight via tko all under a minute.

benitohasker
08-10-2013, 01:45 PM
spider's clowning is almost as bad as his takedown defense http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/130/disapppointing.gif. frankly, i don't think he wants any part of a jon jones megafight. he knows he'd get floored in about 10 seconds, followed by a vicious barrage of elbow strikes to end the fight via tko all under a minute.

Anderson Silva acted like a fool, and you don't do that in MMA (http://www.evolutionary.org/mma/). He lost because of his arrogance not his skill.

Lopez
09-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Jon Jones and Alex Gustafsson went five rounds, with Jones retaining the belt although some people think Gustafsson was robbed in the decision. Didn't see it myself, so I'll refrain from commenting.

A rematch seems to be on the cards, hopefully I can catch it this time. Would be really nice for a fellow Northern-European get the title :yeah:.

JMG
09-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Jones won 4th and 5th, Gustafsson the 1st. 2nd and 3rd were close. 48-47 for Jones was the expected decision by the judges in the end imo.

J99
11-19-2013, 05:09 AM
People not watching MMA/UFC anymore?

UFC 167 was pretty incredible.

Lopez
11-20-2013, 07:17 AM
It's on at awkward times... But I follow the results! Seems like it was another close one for the champ after the Jones/Gustafsson fight.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

J99
11-20-2013, 02:15 PM
It's on at awkward times... But I follow the results! Seems like it was another close one for the champ after the Jones/Gustafsson fight.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Yeah it was, he didn't win it really, was a pretty good match though.

Not sure which will be at least the title match of the year, this one, Weidman-Silva or Jones-Gustafsson. Of course there is still Johnson-Benevidez and Silva-Weidman 2 to come.

You don't need to watch it when it's on live, soon after it's on the net.

allpro
12-29-2013, 07:25 PM
weidman knocked silva almost unconscious with a short right hook to the ear in the 1st rd and completely dominated the fight...again. he's simply too fast, too strong, too ring savvy, and dare i say too talented for the brazilian clown.

r.i.p silva.

Lopez
12-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Tough to see one of the greatest, if not the greatest, go down like that. That was probably his last fight. Grats to Weidman, seems like a decent guy, though he lays the Jesus stuff on a bit thick (as do many other American athletes :lol:)

Kyle_Johansen
12-30-2013, 02:15 AM
Silva's career is probably over. Sickest thing I've ever seen.

BauerAlmeida
12-30-2013, 02:25 AM
I doubt Silva will ever com back from this, let alone return to his best.

Silva's career is probably over. Sickest thing I've ever seen.

You haven't watched much then.

Mr. Oracle
12-30-2013, 05:28 AM
I have a question. Which human being (apart from chuck norris) do you think could beat cain velasquez decisively in a real fight?

Dmitry Verdasco
12-30-2013, 05:37 AM
Umm, I've never watched UFC really but that was a cool night! Rousey - Tate was so tense! And the drama afterwards was like some WTA shit. I was going for Tate shame she lost :(

Then Silva and that leg :unsure: Unbelievable.

allpro
12-30-2013, 06:05 AM
I have a question. Which human being (apart from chuck norris) do you think could beat cain velasquez decisively in a real fight?

if it’s a fight to the death with illegal moves allowed (e.g. eye gouging, biting, fish-hooking, groin/throat striking, rabbit punching, etc), i’m sure there are quite a few special forces goons (us, israeli, russian,etc) that could kill an unprepared valasquez in a street fight.

Camel Hound
02-08-2014, 10:35 PM

In a street fight anything goes which really nullifies wrestling and jiujitsu because you can easily eye gouge when tied up on the ground. Pretty much any half decent boxer would knockout Cain Velasquez rather easily, especially since he's got a fragile glass jaw.