Uganda debates proposal outlining death pentalty for gays [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Uganda debates proposal outlining death pentalty for gays

prima donna
12-08-2009, 07:27 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9CF98H82&show_article=1

TMJordan
12-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Don't many muslim countries execute gays anyways?

This world is FUCKED UP.

Certinfy
12-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Stupidest thing ever!!!

buddyholly
12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Obviously these politicians and others in various African countries are not yet fully developed. We need to send them lots more financial aid.

TMJordan
12-08-2009, 07:50 PM
and condoms

buddyholly
12-08-2009, 08:39 PM
They have found a cure for AIDS - death!

Garson007
12-08-2009, 08:42 PM
The obvious overarching problem at work here is the xenophobia of all things western - not homophobia. In this way it's much like the Swiss' ruling on minarets. This possible legislation is of course much harsher and inhuman.

out_here_grindin
12-08-2009, 08:59 PM
These African nations are continuosly hand-cuffed by corrupt as hell leaders. It's a sad story, but the more they try to step forward on the large hill the more they backslide down being dragged by the corrpution. How about the Ugandan government actually try to help the people instead of imposing an inhumane law?

buddyholly
12-08-2009, 09:01 PM
The obvious overarching problem at work here is the xenophobia of all things western - not homophobia. In this way it's much like the Swiss' ruling on minarets. This possible legislation is of course much harsher and inhuman.

Total bullshit. You sound as if you think homosexuality was introduced to Ugandans by wily Westerners. Much like they infected the country with AIDS.

I did not expect to see such a disgusting post here by any MTFer.

Oh, but of course, you are from the country where nice young men do lesbians a favour by ****** them and helping them to live a wholesome heterosexual life.

Garson007
12-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Total bullshit. You sound as if you think homosexuality was introduced to Ugandans by wily Westerners. Much like they infected the country with AIDS.

I did not expect to see such a disgusting post here by any MTFer.
Lolwut? Of course it wasn't imported via the westerners. The politicians of Uganda however obviously feel different; did you even read the article? This is not about gay hate - this is about hate for what they perceive to be western culture.

Oh, but of course, you are from the country where nice young men do lesbians a favour by ****** them and helping them to live a wholesome heterosexual life.
:retard: I'm a homosexual myself. :rolleyes:

LoveFifteen
12-08-2009, 09:19 PM

Homosexuality is not Western. :)

Garson007
12-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I've obviously not explained myself well enough in the first post. I'm very sorry, but I assumed everyone read the article. :shrug:

star
12-08-2009, 09:27 PM

I kind of get what you are saying, but wouldn't you have to be a homophobe to want to execute gays? I don't see how killing every single homosexual would eliminate western influence. It seems there are many other ways to fight western influence. Just picking on homosexuals as "western" seems to indicate a bias against homosexual since there are many other more obvious western things in Uganda.

buddyholly
12-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I read the article and it seems to be exclusively about African homophobia. Nothing at all about xenophobia, unless it is used as a cover for homophobia.

Garson007
12-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I kind of get what you are saying, but wouldn't you have to be a homophobe to want to execute gays? I don't see how killing every single homosexual would eliminate western influence. It seems there are many other ways to fight western influence. Just picking on homosexuals as "western" seems to indicate a bias against homosexual since there are many other more obvious western things in Uganda.
It might be a case of two birds, one stone; I'll give that to you. :) For all I know they might be using the xenophobia to gather more supporters for their homophobia. Interesting thought.

David Bahati, the legislator sponsoring the bill, said he was encouraging "constructive criticism" to improve the law but insisted strict measures were necessary to stop homosexuals from "recruiting" schoolchildren.

"The youths in secondary schools copy everything from the Western world and America," said high school teacher David Kisambira. "A good number of students have been converted into gays. We hear there are groups of people given money by some gay organizations in developed countries to recruit youth into gay activities."

Uganda's ethics minister, James Nsaba Buturo, said the death sentence clause would probably be reviewed but maintained the law was necessary to counter foreign influence. He said homosexuality "is not natural in Uganda," a view echoed by some Ugandans.

"I feel that the bill is good and necessary, but I don't think gays should be killed. They should be imprisoned for about a year and warned never to do it again. The family is in danger in Uganda because the rate at which vice is spreading is appalling," said shopkeeper John Muwanguzi.
That's four different comments from the article, all labeling it as a foreign influence and/or concept, directly or indirectly.

buddyholly
12-08-2009, 09:54 PM
It might be a case of two birds, one stone; I'll give that to you. :) For all I know they might be using the xenophobia to gather more supporters for their homophobia. Interesting thought.

That's four different comments from the article, all labeling it as a foreign influence and/or concept, directly or indirectly.

Maybe three comments, not the last one. However you still seem to be buying into the concept that if Ugandans want to eliminate western culture, then a good place to start is by eliminating homosexuality.

However, if you are gay yourself, then clearly it is a case of misunderstanding your post. Your first post appeared to say that Ugandans hate western culture and homosexuality is a part of that culture, rather than something that is natural to some Ugandans.

Perhaps the bad news is that almost all educated Ugandans seem to think that homosexuality is something that is learned. Or worse, they know that is not true, but it is a convenient vehicle for manipulating the population.

Garson007
12-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Maybe three comments, not the last one. However you still seem to be buying into the concept that if Ugandans want to eliminate western culture, then a good place to start is by eliminating homosexuality.
They believe that, not I. :p

Perhaps the bad news is that almost all educated Ugandans seem to think that homosexuality is something that is learned. Or worse, they know that is not true, but it is a convenient vehicle for stirring up hate in the population.
Exactly. Xenophobia is a much bigger issue than homophobia, in Africa.

However, if you are gay yourself, then clearly it is a case of misunderstanding your post. Your first post appeared to say that Ugandans hate western culture and homosexuality is a part of that culture, rather than something that is natural to some Ugandans.
Which is obviously absurd reasoning, but a lot of the Ugandans obviously believe this; I was just pointing that out. Not what I myself believe. :)

martinatreue
12-08-2009, 10:11 PM
The poster is neither defending xenophobia nor homophobia. Homophobia is a very prevalent brand of xenophobia. I think everyone agrees that this is evil and unacceptable to execute sexual minorities.

KarlyM
12-08-2009, 10:33 PM
This is horrible. :(

Henry Chinaski
12-08-2009, 11:27 PM
strange that that dude links gayness to americanisation when according to the article posted the bill was launched after the visit of christian americans. of course the god hates fags brigade will distance themselves from this publicly and say its gone too far.

same with christian opposition to condoms. they use their wealth to foster their own perverted ideologies in impoverished countried where their cash can have real influence on policy.

musaveni has had a lot of success in the battle against aids so presumably he's been able to ward off the christians before now. probably his own personal prejudice here.

rocketassist
12-08-2009, 11:30 PM
They should give it to the real fags instead- annoying, inconsiderate people who ride Harleys.

Action Jackson
12-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Good to see stupidity isn't related to race, creed or colour.

Пока
12-09-2009, 12:00 AM
It's revolting to think there are still countries in this world who think murdering innocent people is a solution to any problem.

buddyholly
12-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Exactly. Xenophobia is a much bigger issue than homophobia, in Africa.

I am still not convinced of that. This seems like genuine homophobia to me, with xenophobia being used only as the excuse.

buddyholly
12-09-2009, 12:51 AM
I wonder how much the guys in Copenhagen will decide is a fair amount of billions to send to this government. OK, that is another thread.

Voo de Mar
12-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Amazing that such an idea appears in the 21st Century somewhere, it's really sad. No words.

Garson007
12-09-2009, 12:57 AM
I am still not convinced of that. This seems like genuine homophobia to me, with xenophobia being used only as the excuse.
As am I not convinced it is not xenophobia. We're just going to go back and forth here. :p Whatever the case, what they are doing is horrible.

out_here_grindin
12-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Amazing that such an idea appears in the 21st Century somewhere, it's really sad. No words.

and do you know how many people are unaware of that? Many, many people do not realize how terrible the governments of many of these African nations are.

Henry Chinaski
12-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Uganda hasn't used the death penalty in over 10 years.

Makes this a bit of a non-story in terms of practical implications.

the supreme court also ruled that keeping prisoners on death row for more than 3 years was inhumane which puts a lot of supposedly modern enlightened countries to shame

out_here_grindin
12-09-2009, 02:01 AM
The government may not have officially executed anyone but Uganda has some really shady poilitcs. Torture is still used a lot by security forces and such.Behind the scenes killings. Sure they are much better off that they were decades ago but Uganda is not a stable country by any means.

Action Jackson
12-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Problem is that Uganda is one of the better countries in Africa.

out_here_grindin
12-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Problem is that Uganda is one of the better countries in Africa.

exactly. They are actually pretty decent comparitive to many others. Whether the others have politcal problems, war problems or are still felling the effects of war(DR Dongo,Somalia,Rwanda,Sierra Leone,Chad etc...) and some of them have no problems with war or anything but are just very very poor (Botswana,Malawi).

Action Jackson
12-09-2009, 02:21 AM
exactly. They are actually pretty decent comparitive to many others. Whether the others have politcal problems, war problems or are still felling the effects of war(DR Dongo,Somalia,Rwanda,Sierra Leone,Chad etc...) and some of them have no problems with war or anything but are just very very poor (Botswana,Malawi).

Botswana is one of the most stable countries, but they have quite a lot of mineral wealth. Then there is Angola, got oil, diamonds and iron ore, but still has problems with the massive conflict.

out_here_grindin
12-09-2009, 02:23 AM
Botswana also has one of the lowest age expectency levels in the world(35 years of age) and one the highest AIDS problems(1 in 6 have HIV). and as you said oil has been good for some countries like Angole but has also created tons of problems as well.

Action Jackson
12-09-2009, 02:28 AM
Botswana the AIDS problem is massive and we have a lot of medical students from there. They do have one of the highest GDP per capita in Africa, the diamond mining has turned them around.

scoobs
12-09-2009, 09:41 AM
This is disgusting but then again Uganda does have form for this kind of reactionary shit - expelling Asians in the 1970s for example.

And just because the death penalty currently is not in use, it doesn't have to stay that way.

And they don't actually have to execute gays, they don't even have to pass this bill, they simply have to talk about passing this law to strike terror and alienation into the homosexuals in that country, who I'd imagine were hardly having a gay old time of it as it is.

Har-Tru
12-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Obviously these politicians and others in various African countries are not yet fully developed. We need to send them lots more financial aid.

They have found a cure for AIDS - death!

Too good.

Aloimeh
12-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Perhaps the bad news is that almost all educated Ugandans seem to think that homosexuality is something that is learned.

What if the Ugandans are correct on this point?

jonathancrane
12-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Expected

scoobs
12-09-2009, 01:26 PM
What if they're not?

Aloimeh
12-09-2009, 01:33 PM
What if they're not?

Why would you assume one over the other?

scoobs
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
well for the fact that I'm gay and I wasn't taught it, for one thing.

Aloimeh
12-09-2009, 01:38 PM

Your distorted processing of life experiences could lead to that, rather than it being biological.

scoobs
12-09-2009, 01:44 PM
:lol: I don't think I can be bothered dancing this little dance again. Believe whatever you want.

buddyholly
12-09-2009, 03:08 PM

Then all Ugandans would be latent homosexuals and the best way to stop the spread of this disease would be to take some preventive measures.

Maybe worldwide the same logic could be applied to people who had a distorted experience while reading the bible and thus chose a life of hating their neighbours.

R.Federer
12-09-2009, 05:45 PM

Scoobs, I think Aloimeh's point is that you don't realize you were taught it. :)

Henry Chinaski
12-09-2009, 06:31 PM
I think Scoobs point was probably go fuck yourself.

Aloimeh
12-10-2009, 02:39 AM
Then all Ugandans would be latent homosexuals and the best way to stop the spread of this disease would be to take some preventive measures.

Maybe worldwide the same logic could be applied to people who had a distorted experience while reading the bible and thus chose a life of hating their neighbours.

Latent is more of a biological term in this context. Potential is more accurate when we speak of sin. As in: everyone is a potential murderer or everyone is a potential liar.

I would not call Ugandans latent thieves any more than I would call them latent homosexuals.

scoobs
12-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Scoobs, I think Aloimeh's point is that you don't realize you were taught it. :)

Yeah I got that. I just don't buy it - it's the sort of woolly, specious and impossible to counter argument that you would expect. "Prove a negative". Prove you weren't taught something without you realising it. Prove something didn't happen. Prove there aren't any WMD in Iraq...it's not logical, it just pretends to be. In my rational worldview you proceed on the basis of evidence, if you can't produce evidence to suggest something *did* happen, you assume it didn't, you don't assume it did but the proof hasn't been found yet. But as I've already said, religious faith does not coexist with rationalism and trying to analyse religious belief rationally is an exercise in frustration for all concerned.

I think Scoobs point was probably go fuck yourself.

Well...

:)

Christians like to say these days on homosexuality "love the sinner, hate the sin". In this case I say "respect the arguer, give no ground to the argument."

Castafiore
12-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Your distorted processing of life experiences could lead to that, rather than it being biological.
How do you explain homosexual behavior in certain animals?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_displaying_homosexual_behavior

Garson007
12-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Potential is more accurate when we speak of sin. As in: everyone is a potential murderer or everyone is a potential liar.
Not all to the same levels however. Think of it this way, if I'm quicker to anger am I not more likely to murder? Is some of that anger not triggered by biology?

scoobs
12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
The BBC, in its infinite "wisdom" decided to host a Have Your Say forum discussion on this topic.

They picked as their topic title

"Should homosexuals face execution?"

You can imagine what I think of this decision...

Denaon
12-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Oh crap...Uganda is definitely off my list of places to visit! :(