Favorite Punk and Post-Punk Music Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Favorite Punk and Post-Punk Music Thread

Nolby
12-08-2009, 02:33 PM
My favorite artists and bands probably come from a punk or post-punk influenced background. Chatting with Mannequin, whose name is derived from one of my favorite post-punk bands, Wire, it struck me that I have not been inspired to post any of my favorite songs because this genre does not appear to have it's own thread. In the spirit of the ACCs this week, this is decidedly unreasonable.

Please feel free to post your favorite punk or post-punk tunes which could include any band from the Sex Pistols, Clash, Ramones, (core punk bands) or even the New York Dolls, Stooges or Velvet Underground (pre-cursors to punk) to the post-modern punk influenced bands such as Joy Division, Wire, PIL (Public Image Limited), Magazine, Buzzcocks, Birthday Party, and beyond....

I'll start with one of my favorites:

Joy Division - Shadow Play - from Unknown Pleasures (1978)

FzTw4PYfROU

Punk/Post-Punk Guide (http://www.trouserpress.com)

Nolby
12-08-2009, 03:29 PM
"Ex Lion Tamer" by Wire off Pink Flag (1977)

IC8CfxNMLdU

Zirconek
12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
I love punk rock (and not so much post-punk and hardcore) and I've posted several clips of punk bands in music threads here.

One of my favourites ;)

16u0wwCfoJ4

Gretchen.
12-08-2009, 04:27 PM
One of my favorite albums is Rocket to Russia by the Ramones. :worship:
Ramona was always one I really liked. (:

xnzY5GT0xtk

jonathancrane
12-08-2009, 04:30 PM
0puJVi2xJpQ

jonathancrane
12-08-2009, 04:31 PM
rXQtl0ypU44

Nolby
12-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I love punk rock (and not so much post-punk and hardcore) and I've posted several clips of punk bands in music threads here.

One of my favourites ;)
"I Fought the Law"

I've always liked almost every track off their first two albums, including "Police and Thieves" and "Career Opportunities". But if I have to pick one off London Calling,

This is one of my favourites ;)

hiQoq-wqZxg

jonathancrane
ybUqM8jf3mU&feature=related

Snoo Foo
:armed: hall-of-fame anthems, motherfuckers :armed:

r8dC9M6OCkE

(wish i could find a better deadboys recording but alas :sad:)

LnmwSZvVsl4

QgTY1CpZhN4

tlEkRqfvvOU

:drool:

Ilovetheblues_86
12-08-2009, 04:44 PM
PJ HARVEY- THE LETTER

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pEFzlHTTTyU&hl=es_ES&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pEFzlHTTTyU&hl=es_ES&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jonathancrane
12-08-2009, 04:45 PM
jn3BTfAqFfI&feature=related

jonathancrane
12-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Lyrics :worship:

i5pleZFUa4M

Nolby
12-08-2009, 04:56 PM
ybUqM8jf3mU&feature=related

I tried SOOOOO hard to make this or "Motorcade", "Definitive Gaze" (or "The Light Pours out of Me") the first song in the thread, but I couldn't find a decent quality video. So thanks so much for posting one of the greatest songs off one of the greatest albums ("Real Life") of all time. Also, Power, Corruption and Lies definitely fits into this thread. Love your avi!

In tribute to you avi picture, "Age of Consent" by New Order off "Power, Corruption and Lies"

8ahU-x-4Gxw

Ilovetheblues_86
12-08-2009, 05:05 PM
SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES- PARADISE PLACE

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w-UtzTuijaQ&hl=es_ES&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w-UtzTuijaQ&hl=es_ES&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

She rocks.

Snoo Foo
12-08-2009, 05:07 PM
fuck yeah
E5_qGuUobf4

Ivanatis
12-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Germany's finest: Die Ärzte

L6NqBFDphm0

they were much more punk rock in their beginnings though, now they are somewhere between pop and punk rock

btw. Toten Hosen suck

Nolby
12-08-2009, 05:17 PM
[quote=sunnysmydelite;9393554]One of my favorite albums is Rocket to Russia by the Ramones. :worship:
Ramona was always one I really liked. (:

Ramones are fantastic. I always loved the movie "Rock 'n' Roll High School". One of my faves off "Road to Ruin" (1978)

I Wanna Be Sedated

wMD7Ezp3gWc

Snoo Foo
12-08-2009, 05:23 PM
my two favoritest Ramones songs... at the moment...

0WaBGGfljrU

s5v29J0HLOU

jonathancrane
12-08-2009, 05:24 PM
I tried SOOOOO hard to make this or "Motorcade", "Definitive Gaze" (or "The Light Pours out of Me") the first song in the thread, but I couldn't find a decent quality video. So thanks so much for posting one of the greatest songs off one of the greatest albums ("Real Life") of all time. Also, Power, Corruption and Lies definitely fits into this thread. Love your avi!

In tribute to you avi picture, "Age of Consent" by New Order off "Power, Corruption and Lies"

You're welcome mate
Thanks for the New Order vid :hatoff:

Ilovetheblues_86
12-08-2009, 05:36 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ab_IE_eXyTQ&hl=es_ES&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ab_IE_eXyTQ&hl=es_ES&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nolby
12-08-2009, 05:36 PM
SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES- PARADISE PLACE

She rocks.

Thanks for giving the women punkers some love, Saulo! Pj Harvey and Siouxsie and the Banshees are essentials. The next logical extension is the punk Riot Grrrl band,

Bikini Kill - Rebel Girl

mZxxhxjgnC0

Kathleen Hanna Rocks...she is now the leader of Le Tigre

Nolby
12-08-2009, 05:51 PM
And Liz Phair - Flower - if not high in sonic value, drips with the punk attitude: :devil:

E4ZjEShp-vY

Nolby
12-08-2009, 06:16 PM

(wish i could find a better deadboys recording but alas :sad:)

Great anthems, Snoo Foo. To continue with these anthems,

The Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia (begins with Apopcalypse Now footage)

KRwUlLahpiI

bibta
12-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Some great tracks here. Don't know how to post the Youtube links, but gotta add Dead Kennedys-Chemical Warfare and Siouxsie-Love In A Void!

Nolby
12-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Some great tracks here. Don't know how to post the Youtube links, but gotta add Dead Kennedys-Chemical Warfare and Siouxsie-Love In A Void!

1. Find the video on Youtube
Dead Kennedys - Chemical Warfare
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK5fKFFqJe4&feature=related

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Love in a void - 1979
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMT3zkLfNIM&feature=fvw

2. Click "Reply" and type

youtube and /youtube with brackets ([]) around each

3. Copy and past ONLY the characters between "v=" and "&feature" and past between the youtube brackets. So you would paste oMT3zkLfNIM for the Siouxisie "Love in a Void" song

4. If you get confused, Quote someone else's video and copy how they did it.

Here is the Siouxsie and the Banshees song:
oMT3zkLfNIM

5. Click "Quote" button and copy the format I used for the Dead Kennedy's song and then post it. :rocker2:

bibta
12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks. Will give it a go...

nK5fKFFqJe4

FINALLY!!! Thanks!

scarecrows
12-08-2009, 08:58 PM
some more kennedys

l7TWLxCIgwE

mah name

oEJSe8vutnM

great postpunk album before they change direction towards shoegaze

dgCoHlIkHcU

yes, of course

OKRJfIPiJGY

one of my fav bands

gzMu6ugTNfA

bibta
12-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Think I've got it now. Hopefully...
Here's another classic. Moving more towards goth, but hey, if Bauhaus are in here, I reckon these guys should be too.

oZu1bzzMqyA

Nolby
12-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks. Will give it a go...

FINALLY!!! Thanks!

That is a relief! My Corel Paintshop program expired today and I was cursing trying to use Paint to crop a picture of what you should post. :lol: I need to find a new trial license for a paint program. Maybe Ulead this time around. :)

Nolby
12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
[quote=bibta;9394314]Think I've got it now. Hopefully...
Here's another classic. Moving more towards goth, but hey, if Bauhaus are in here, I reckon these guys should be too.

Goth is some of my favorite post punk. Love the Bauhaus Mannequin posted. Joy Division is called Post Punk and also one of the influencers of Goth. Here is my favorite band at this moment:

The Chameleons UK - Here Today (This song is a tribute to John Lennon, written as though from John's perspective on his last night alive)
3Cd5GOmJqGI

bibta
12-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Here is my favorite band at this moment:

Hey, another Chameleons fan; we are in the minority, which is a shame for such an amazing band! My favourite tracks by them are Second Skin, Soul In Isolation, Monkeyland and Nostalgia...although that changes on a regular basis! I was fortunate to see them live when they reformed a few years back and they were so good that I went to see them again a few days later!

Snoo Foo
12-08-2009, 09:58 PM
duuuuude, how could i forget DK, not their punkest song but one of my faves

A4SQqPSdJUU

scarecrows
12-08-2009, 10:01 PM
cpqcR5fHMjU

Ilovetheblues_86
12-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Oh this thread will help me with my insomnia making my nights better.

Snoo Foo
12-08-2009, 10:09 PM
ru6FxiAvS4E

gotta be the only punk song in history with a fucking whistling solo :worship:

Action Jackson
12-08-2009, 10:23 PM
0aPiKMYe82o

9udxbvHiqGw

Z9O2tsIbKD0

Ilovetheblues_86
12-08-2009, 10:34 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oozHfqtSXAU&hl=es_ES&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oozHfqtSXAU&hl=es_ES&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nolby
12-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Hey, another Chameleons fan; we are in the minority, which is a shame for such an amazing band! My favourite tracks by them are Second Skin, Soul In Isolation, Monkeyland and Nostalgia...although that changes on a regular basis! I was fortunate to see them live when they reformed a few years back and they were so good that I went to see them again a few days later!

I love the Chameleons and all the Mark Burgess solo music (The Sun and the Moon, Venus, Mark Burgess and The Sons of God, Birdy, Burgess and Yves, etc.). Yea, Second Skin, Soul in Isolation are both worth posting. "Singer Rule Britannia", "In Shreds" and "View From A Hill" and "Swamp Thing" and "Is it Any Wonder" are also a few of the best songs I've ever heard. There is a decent video for "Monkeyland", and i posted it first, but the sound is so quiet that you have to jack up the volume to barely hear it. There is also a decent video for P.S. Goodbye, which I like, but don't love.

I'll post Soul in Isolation with lyrics because it is one of the most shocking and original songs I've ever heard:

Mark Burgess :worship::worship: :worship:

Soul in Isolation by The Chameleons

PmXhxAK-000

Soul in isolation
I can hear you breathing down the hall
Soul in isolation
I can hear you whispering through the walls
And if I had a mind to now
I could call to you
Or I could simply shut you out
No more would you cry, cry, cry....

I'll give you my time to kill
But you'll never never
Break my will
Or I could sink a sleeping pill
And in the morning could be
Sleeping still
But most of you are much too ill
Way beyond a surgeon's skill
In bondage to a dollar bill
What more can you buy? buy? buy?

Oh, when you think on it
when you think on it
We're all
Souls in isolation
Alive in here
I'm alive in here
I'm alive in here
Alive!

Come here
A word in your ear
You can't go back to the trees

Big bad giant standing tall
Crushing all the creatures
Great and small
I'd like to see this giant fall
When will it come
Words that rattle round my head
Struck by lightning someone said
A diamond bullet through the head
Hits me right in the brain
Are they right in the brain?
Are they right in the brain?

Will I see the jailer's face
Did my mother bring me to this place
Will I live to see his face
Or will another come to take my place
In total isolation
Surrounded by fears
From too many clowns
Too many tears
Isolation
Surrounded by crowds
In another world
Head in the clouds

I'm alive in here
I scream
But you still don't hear
I'm alive in here
I'm alive
Turn on the lights
Turn on the light....

Oh, when you think on it
We're all souls in isolation
I'm alive in here
I'm alive

We're always searching for something
Searching, searching
Dear dear dead days I'm longing for you
Sweetest virgin
Now deflowered

Action Jackson
12-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Q84X_AecGko

Pankriti- Ljubljana e bulana
-qX53IssAbY

fp0vC0On0RY

Nolby
12-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Bjork - Human Behavior (love the song and video)

yuwiYq50gwA

I need to catch up on about 12 videos right now. Mannequin, I love just about every band and song you've listed; same to Saulo. Mission of Burma, early Cocteau Twins (do you like 4AD label?), Bauhaus, Pj Harvey, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Husker Du, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, PIL, Echo and the Bunnymen, etc. :worship::worship: :worship:

AJ: Some of your choices aren't familiar to me yet. I love PIL though, so I need to listen...

Action Jackson
12-08-2009, 11:28 PM
The clip is not embedded, but two Cure songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSW2tgrkBQA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSW2tgrkBQA

LLTtOXIhrow

Nolby
12-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Ohhhh, you just had to post the Straightjacket Fits and open a whole new can of worms for New Zealand post-punk, AJ! :lol:

Australian and New Zealand post-punk is among my very favorite music. Flying Nun label in New Zealand has so many great bands:

The Clean - Tally Ho

dm3UGftvCRo

Love the Chills, Verlaines, The Bats, Tall Dwarfs, Able Tasmans, etc. from New Zealand. Much more from Australia.

Action Jackson
12-09-2009, 12:10 AM
1wCbB0uMlkA

-Kn917hcuW8

TE_VhqaxbYY

Action Jackson
12-09-2009, 12:19 AM
dn2G_0x3Im0

A-zWP1ygowc

eti21PVHXrg

Nolby
12-09-2009, 12:36 AM
The pre-cursors to Punk music, The New York Dolls with Johnny Thunders on guitar. Most Punk Bands including the Sex Pistols cite them, the Stooges, MC5, Roxy Music (early years with Eno only) and Velvet Underground as primary influences for the Punk movement

New York Dolls - Frankenstein (1973)
lvsr8La0_iw

Clay Death
12-09-2009, 01:51 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oozHfqtSXAU&hl=es_ES&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oozHfqtSXAU&hl=es_ES&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

these cats are talented. good song.

Action Jackson
12-09-2009, 02:11 AM
wqNSMyenBJY

LwK9qYzxgSE

EhjCzK2mNlc

Action Jackson
12-09-2009, 02:17 AM
5HZrZfMFejs

Ilovetheblues_86
12-09-2009, 02:29 AM
The clip is not embedded, but two Cure songs.

Primary, two basses, from Faith, I have all Cure songs, some of them are very post-punk

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KWYQt9CrZXw&hl=es_ES&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KWYQt9CrZXw&hl=es_ES&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Action Jackson
12-09-2009, 02:32 AM
Saulo, the gaucho does have some good musical taste.

Live from Munich.
WW9mXOXXM68

Action Jackson
12-09-2009, 02:36 AM
BD1uGPkxQfA

KA57Pafq_NU

Action Jackson
12-09-2009, 02:42 AM
F6hGc7S8d88

nkuXOtFLMZw

GhostUnholy
12-09-2009, 04:26 AM
EhjCzK2mNlc

REFUSED ARE FUCKIN' DEAD

ZRewGkkzQ0c

The Shape of Punk to Come is one of my favorite albums, absolute classic.

Nolby
12-09-2009, 08:23 AM
great postpunk album before they change direction towards shoegaze

dgCoHlIkHcU

This is fantastic, Mannequin! "Treasure" has been my favorite Cocteau Twins album and has aged well whereas other albums have not. This reminds me more of "Treasure" than their later albums, although it is even less like their shoegazing sound than the songs on that album. I have their late 80's and early 90's albums and liked them a lot at the time although they did get old pretty fast. I had no idea they had more of a post-punk sound before "Treasure". I'll check the earlier albums out. Great song! :yeah:

Speaking of 4AD bands, love The Birthday Party, This Mortal Coil, and Throwing Muses (earlier stuff mostly).

Nolby
12-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Liz Fraser (from Cocteau Twins) guest vocals with Lawrence in one of my all time favorite bands, Felt, in this single released in 1985:

Primitive Painters - Felt with Liz Fraser

lZU3PR7lqGw

Nolby
12-09-2009, 09:11 AM
mah name

oEJSe8vutnM

Great song as is pretty much the entire Pink Flag album, but "Mannequin" hinted at their next album. I don't think that "Chairs Missing" gets quite the credit it deserves because it was the "transitional" album between "Pink Flag" and "154", but I think I may play it more often than the other two. An example of the brilliance from that album:

Wire - Practice Makes Perfect - from Chairs Missing (1978)

e-9H42RW_HE

Snoo Foo
12-09-2009, 09:21 AM
cAknteAQLo8

s5F-xHX1PDE

h-VyWe0sm0I

Nolby
12-09-2009, 09:31 AM
[quote=Action Jackson;9395114]F6hGc7S8d88

I loved Bjork when she was in the Sugarcubes. "Birthday" is a great song, but so we're "Motorcrash", "Hit" and probably my favorite was

"Cold Sweat" by the Sugarcubes (1988)

y8XVHnNaJOo

Nolby
12-09-2009, 09:50 AM

tlEkRqfvvOU

As an Irishman, I would be remiss if I didn't include this hall-of-fame anthem by:

Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster (1979)

O5vCgtpY0Kg

Snoo Foo
12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
:lol:
pqbDL43ISOg

HkMo4SjLFDM

jonathancrane
12-09-2009, 09:56 AM
s9zhucKnLDE

Nolby
12-09-2009, 09:57 AM
The less controversial Irish "punk" band to Stiff Little Fingers. I wonder how these two bands ever got along even as well as they did all things considered. :lol:

The Undertones - Teenage Kicks (1979)

wGu2lu5XWE8

jonathancrane
12-09-2009, 10:02 AM
The Fall with Brix :yeah:

KxDq5KKNVbA

Nolby
12-09-2009, 10:02 AM
s9zhucKnLDE

OMG!!! I love the Fall! You have great tastes! :worship: or at least very similar to mine. :cool:

The peak of the Brix years:

L.A. by the Fall (1985) from "This Nation's Saving Grace"

:lol: We posted the exact same video at exactly the same time. I'm going to have to find another one. :lol:

Man, it was a real chore finding a video as good as L.A. by the Fall. This one is interesting though. This is "Wings" from "Perverted by Language" (1983) and was the first album Brix played on, so her influence is just starting to seed. I thought this would be a good "middle piece" from "Elastic Man" to "L.A." (one of my faves and a great video!)

Wings by the Fall (1983)

6m2lfk4Bm34

Zirconek
12-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Some punk with Spanish letter or only some phrases

Suicidal Tendencies (Su casa és mi casa)
sL6c9pUctzU

Toys Dolls (Livin' la vida loca)
iRkrupsjz-M

The Clash (Should I stay or should I go- with lyrics, except for the Spanish part)
GqH21LEmfbQ

and a bonus, punk+reggae - NOFX (Kill all the white man, but it's not a racist music ;) )
vLE_NQlIp4g

Snoo Foo
12-09-2009, 10:14 AM
ahhhh you remembered me of another anthem, not in spanish but got that SoCal accent to it

LoF_a0-7xVQ

Zirconek
12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
ahhhh you remembered me of another anthem, not in spanish but got that SoCal accent to it

great song, from the same album. :yeah:

Brazilian punk rock (80's) - Os Replicantes - Surfista Calhorda (the most famous of them)
KnAVs0QfJnQ

Nolby
12-09-2009, 11:05 AM
The Paisley Underground

Game Theory - Erica's Word (1985) off Big Shot Chronicles

oJ2Cdw8THX8

Nolby
12-09-2009, 11:40 AM
[quote]Lyrics :worship: Gang of Four- Natural's Not In It

Gang of Four - Damaged Goods
NE8Taygteak

I'll take a wild guess, and since you have posted The Fall (covered "Victoria"), have The Kinks "Village Green Preservation Society" avi picture now :worship:

and posted The Gang of Four, you probably also like

The Jam - Eaton Rifles - 1979

lG0L86DRuC8

and their Kinks cover:

David Watts by the Jam

RYPZUO3soxw

Action Jackson
12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
a3j8YI1QR7M

_-7tryyJ0Ro

eJIVWD9PvuA

9do-xN52Gxo

Nolby
12-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Z9O2tsIbKD0

PIL - Flowers of Romance

qdAnlXhyikw

scarecrows
12-09-2009, 01:21 PM
how could I forget The Fall, one of the best bands ever
Their album This Nation's Saving Grace isa a gem from start to finish, and talking about finish

UBDdu67gtT0

and some different kind of punk

a224CkygvR4

Nolby
12-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Nick Cave's first band was the Birthday Party, and post-punk/gothic doesn't quite capture what they did as they we're somewhere in some other world...

The Birthday Party - Mr. Clarinet, from The Biirthday Party (1980)
vwHCoYO-b4E

The Birthday Party - Nick the Stripper, from Prayers on Fire (1981)
l5I2vEcVC_I

The Birthday Party - Big Jesus Trashcan, from Junkyard (1982)
QYoKqfo5jck

Action Jackson
12-10-2009, 05:17 AM
AWsQg92fD5A

pMNL3YpnRrc

N44KQDpjGpQ

Action Jackson
12-10-2009, 05:20 AM
This first song is not racist at all and neither is Rudolf in the last clip.

AXmp12ndUoQ

Pete Shelley on fire, here.
k3KzwpihR_U

91rAHIb8BwY

6EUVImnHr48

Action Jackson
12-10-2009, 05:22 AM
v3B2jdZa9Oo

qbi3VFR0sU4

ylOCIP54PIQ

jhh8cSN-9BQ

Action Jackson
12-10-2009, 05:30 AM
-io-kZKl_BI

zhopu6ZrINU

c2SlprYeVzo

The original version, that Franz Ferdinand covered.

nTRQSYxt5Ok

Action Jackson
12-10-2009, 06:20 AM
German lass speaking with a Jamaican accent.

ZyXGblps64M

Nolby
12-10-2009, 08:21 AM
The original version, that Franz Ferdinand covered.

nTRQSYxt5Ok

Fire Engines!!! :worship::worship: :worship: AJ, you have fantastic and obscure tastes! :yeah:

More Scottish Wonders that primarily influenced Franz Ferdinand:

Orange Juice - Rip It Up (1985)

No2ukc5V4EM

Josef K - Chance Meeting (1984)

J6fgY0tC5d8

Edwyn Collins - A Girl Like You (1994, yea, its the same dude that led Orange Juice)

2rqCJdutB8I

Nolby
12-10-2009, 09:09 AM
German lass speaking with a Jamaican accent.

ZyXGblps64M

AJ, love your tastes once again! :D Are you on SoulSeek?

In that same groove:

The Raincoats - Fairytale in the Supermarket (1979)

MZJt56z5Ywc

LiLiPUT -EISIGER WIND (1981)

ocBJt6Xz0iI

The Au Pairs - Come Again (1981)

rB-DAyZ-3Nk

Bikini Kill - Rebel Girl (1992)

mZxxhxjgnC0

Action Jackson
12-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I am on Soulseek, but not so often.

Nolby
12-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I am on Soulseek, but not so often.

I'm Owljustice. Add me to your list.

Action Jackson
12-10-2009, 10:00 AM
sJpw7rijo5w

Nolby
12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
My favorite band that nobody (other than possibly AJ and JC) knows about:

Microdisney (cult Irish band from Cork; lead singer went to Fatima Mansions & Cathal Coughlan solo ; other to High Llamas and Stereolab)

Microdisney - Loftholdingswood - 1984
J-4bTEfGtI0

Microdisney - Birthday Girl - 1985
yn_BXYoQ0RU

Microdisney - Helicopter Of The Holy Ghost - 1982
9LR-CeMOVH8

Fatima Mansions - Only Losers Take The Bus - 1989
HaSi2Z74Ou8

Cathal Coughlan - Amused As Hell - 2002
ak72EKbZZmo

Action Jackson
12-10-2009, 10:22 AM
KAos8Eet__I

mMZojhmvthA

Nolby
12-10-2009, 10:41 AM
KAos8Eet__I

Wow! Nice. Powerful stuff... :yeah:

Action Jackson
12-10-2009, 10:48 AM
They have their own stuff, but that is a cover version by another Norwegian artist. They do a great job and give the song the dark text it needs.

Nolby
12-10-2009, 11:33 AM
They have their own stuff, but that is a cover version by another Norwegian artist. They do a great job and give the song the dark text it needs.

I'm not sure I've heard a song capture the claustrophobia so well, the simultaneous agoraphobia (fear of leaving familiarity) and eicophobia (fear of home surroundings) in the song is haunting and the production for emoting those feelings is eloquent and disturbing.

I posted the Chameleons "Soul in Isolation" which is similar in tone a few pages back...but just the song with the album cover and lyrics because I love the studio version so much. Here it is live though, and you can see that Mark Burgess resonates the same feelings as Seigmen:

MF0vnh0tJSM

Nolby
12-10-2009, 07:01 PM
The Punk Fruit - Fruitini

37_WyvGR5_I

Ilovetheblues_86
12-11-2009, 12:59 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EhH3jPABFDE&hl=pt_BR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EhH3jPABFDE&hl=pt_BR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g7flghNTYZI&hl=pt_BR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g7flghNTYZI&hl=pt_BR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbI6I2wj2u4&hl=pt_BR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbI6I2wj2u4&hl=pt_BR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Action Jackson
12-11-2009, 04:19 AM
OIAwI2jWnzc

nxHcx7FO8nI

oIHBUGvAUMo

Arkulari
12-11-2009, 04:26 AM
I grew up listening to these dudes, they came from my town and my two older brothers were batshit crazy about them:

nlOXiyDVtw0

l7XrKzb1hXc

Bw8DOW2XL44

AI121vTRiG4

as usual with punk bands, two of their members ended up dead because of drugs :sad:

Action Jackson
12-11-2009, 04:58 AM
BIkod60zViM

Q-GueNOKolo

158vMhY3xqs

Action Jackson
12-11-2009, 05:13 AM
MJCaFe1yamg

Nolby
12-11-2009, 05:21 AM
BIkod60zViM

Q-GueNOKolo

Oh man! Why did you have to get to my faves when I wasn't going to post. :lol: I love Australian punk, especially The Saints and Ed Kuepper, his band The Laughing Clowns, Radio Birdman, The Moodists, Dave Graney, Birthday Party, Nick Cave, the Scientists with Kim Salmon, Triffids, etc.

I will just post one for now to go with The Saints and as a tribute to the ACC Finals:

The Laughing Clowns - Eternally Yours (Ed Kuepper reworked this from his Saints years for LCs)

8PeGHeF2AHc

Bad Religion
12-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Fiskales Ad-Hok

vqOsRTqzRCs

La Polla Records

yoc8_a6YsRw

Nolby
12-11-2009, 09:39 AM
nxHcx7FO8nI

I thought this link would be helpful for anyone coming across a punk band they don't know yet:
Trouser Press Guide (http://www.trouserpress.com)
http://www.trouserpress.com

It is considered "The Bible" of punk, indie and underground bands, and has been around since the punk scene developed.

For example, to read about The Specials (http://www.trouserpress.com/entry.php?a=specials) and their contribution to punk/post-punk music:

http://www.trouserpress.com/entry.php?a=specials

Nolby
12-11-2009, 10:47 AM
MJCaFe1yamg

And punk connoisseurs like AJ once again provide a reason why this guide is so handy. :lol:

Fishbone (http://www.trouserpress.com/entry.php?a=fishbone)
http://www.trouserpress.com/entry.php?a=fishbone

"When they were just high-school students riding the desegregation bus from South Central Los Angeles to the San Fernando Valley, the members of Fishbone were collectively hooked by the Funkadelic song "Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock" and the bold endorsement of musical genre- blending the title implies. It became their manifesto; early on, some would label Fishbone a ska group incorporating other styles, but the band's stew of funk, soul, punk, metal, jazz, reggae and seemingly everything else musical is far more distinctive — and exciting — than simple categorization allows. As Fishbone tried to explain in one of its songs, the group set out to create a "brand new nutmeg."

On the Fishbone EP, their sense of humor is surpassed only by the six tracks' non-stop hyperkinetic energy. Whether the lyrics are socially relevant ("Another Generation" and especially "Party at Ground Zero") or just plain silly ("Ugly"), the vim and vigor level is maintained. If you can sit still throughout this, you're probably dead.

"Shot in the foot by poor sequencing and a baffled record company, the brilliant Truth and Soul should have been Fishbone's breakthrough. While the first side is distinguished only by a scorching metallic cover of Curtis Mayfield's "Freddie's Dead," the second half is a dazzling grand-slam of the band's vibrant stylistic array. From the party anthem "Bonin' in the Boneyard" to the scalding anti- racist "Slow Bus Movin' (Howard Beach Party)," the near- hardcore of "Subliminal Fascism" to the soulful "Ghetto Soundwave" and the acoustic racial-unity ballad "Change," it updates and rivals Sly's finest work."

cmCzc4DEY60

It's not so great for Spanish Punk I'm finding. If someone has a link to a decent guide for newbies like me to many of these bands, please provide. Thanks.

Manon
12-11-2009, 12:50 PM
bHCS3Zowkws
7Mn1WN5yeag
8m2JyiggwAU
96x_FiQIB6E

Nolby
12-12-2009, 09:42 AM
In their early years, Roxy Music with Bryan Ferry and Brian Eno revolutionized pop music and in much the same way as the New York Dolls and David Bowie, they influenced punk music and heavily influenced post-punk. For me, their first four albums are all stunning masterpieces. This was from their first album:

Roxy Music - Ladytron 1973

zVeEBMJt8vs

http://www.trouserpress.com/entry.php?a=roxy_music

Arguably the most influential rock group of the '70s, Roxy Music's impact has only grown in the years since the punk return-to-the-basics ethos gave way to a growing interest in high style, fashion and musical sophistication. The "new romantic" movement and the synth fops would have had no historical traditions to follow were it not for the pioneering efforts of Bryan Ferry, Brian Eno, Phil Manzanera, Andy Mackay, Paul Thompson and their various cohorts. Even though Roxy Music grew pale and timid in its later years, the recorded work (not to mention the countless side projects in which the various members have participated) stands as a seminal wellspring of nonconformity and successful art-pop experimentation.

Action Jackson
12-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I have never read the guide.

Action Jackson
12-12-2009, 10:07 AM
TDJShMk-r88

Action Jackson
12-12-2009, 10:11 AM
PLkLpNfk5vQ

Nolby
12-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I have never read the guide.

That's even more impressive! :lol: I think the first one came out in 1983, a big thick blue book. I bought my first copy around 1988 and it really helped me understand music I hadn't explored yet and was invaluable before the web made research like this easier. It was this one if you recall going through the music section at book stores:

http://www.slipcue.com/books/bookimages/aa_musicbooks/trouserpress.gif

The Nineties version:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Z0963HK4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Nolby
12-12-2009, 11:08 AM
TDJShMk-r88

Jonathan Richman :worship: :worship: :worship:

The first twee punk rocker. The Talking Heads, Orange Juice, Go-Betweens, Field Mice, Tullycraft, etc. owe so much to him. :lol:

B_exvKnrK6g

Nidhogg
12-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Does this qualify as Punk? It's some sort of Garage Rock. I especially like the first tune.

JtzvS2X7C1w

LNGSwk_7BRA

Action Jackson
12-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Nid, you must remember these guys.

j-c5kD866SE

2zOb8toGGGU

9WOveq7QPpE

scarecrows
12-12-2009, 03:34 PM
another one from Scotland's finest

check the sick drums and bass

AF-hic7hNpk

Action Jackson
12-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Scotland's finest would be the Dog Faced Hermans and the Skids.

Action Jackson
12-12-2009, 03:40 PM
U2 and Green Day murdered the original of this.

dLT3PfNlIfA

Nolby
12-12-2009, 05:24 PM
another one from Scotland's finest

check the sick drums and bass

AF-hic7hNpk

Wow! That is great. Their earlier material is so much more challenging than the later stuff. I am downloading "Garlands" as I type. :angel:

However, both Scarecrows and AJ are wrong in this instance. Orange Juice, the Fire Engines and Josef K are Scotland's finest:

vK8hdl02H2o

Nidhogg
12-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Nid, you must remember these guys.

They had their glory days before my time, but still... :rocker:

Zirconek
12-14-2009, 07:57 PM
A classic from the 80's, Sigue Sigue Sputnik

ff974Ocxl4Q

Action Jackson
12-14-2009, 10:57 PM
ZNoUi0mpBOc

Action Jackson
12-15-2009, 12:15 AM
oGVNEOdqyAw

Me8koyuX4YE

Uu6MDdxBork

Action Jackson
12-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Never gets old.

BkHFjm_9iew

Snoo Foo
12-16-2009, 07:48 AM
JYGoougMHSQ

l2g3TDtfcAU

VolandriFan
12-16-2009, 08:25 AM
5q8cmQ-nXYU
WTfrAvTZxxw

Some real gems in this thread guys. :yeah:

Action Jackson
12-16-2009, 08:32 AM
xTo_wmZ3X3A

Py-ftF14kSA

Henry Rollins doing a version of Let There be Rock by AC/DC
mPNtLZWE6AQ

Action Jackson
12-16-2009, 08:36 AM
xZur5v3uLJI

0-_kgkNttGE

jT4qWp0EVOs

Action Jackson
12-16-2009, 08:49 AM
I hate Morrissey, but Johnny Marr's work was class in this group.

FgxEJOi6GtA

mIWOhisqrP8

A post punk song by this Aussie band, who abandoned it and went for the safe and bland commercial road.

FyiYBajrefY

Manon
12-16-2009, 11:49 AM
HPvR7wNwRAo
nO9bw_siuk4
RFYvgg523OE
plfVQV-klZo
1YUtZ5y13o4

Nolby
12-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Dedicated to Clydey:

u81Phfuih4Y

I shake my head and shiver
They smile
And then stab me in the back
as they shake my hand

Send out an SOS plea
Come quickly
I'm marooned in monkeyland.

Is there anyone there
Who understands me
Anyone at all

I'm idly staring at the sky
Did anybody hear me sigh
A million stars are a moving sight
To all you out there
Reading this tonight

It's just a trick of the light
I have to know what is real
And what is illusion
Tell me how does it feel
Beyond this confusion
Is there anyone there?

Do I dismiss this with a sigh
Suppose I must from time to time
And let the answers pass me by
To questions set to bend the mind
Is my creator a God or a man
Yes both too
Does someone somewhere
Care or understand?

I have to know what is real
And what is illusion
Tell me how does it feel
Beyond this confusion?

Is there anyone there?
Is there anyone there?
Life's an optical illusion
Like other optical illusions
Beware....
If there's anyone there

Nolby
12-16-2009, 08:21 PM
mIWOhisqrP8

Pulp - Lipgloss

6f_rnGgjXcs

Action Jackson
12-21-2009, 02:36 PM
bhNSvjIGKvA

hIQYOHopSbs

Ky7UdRbKZ3Q

Bascule
12-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Great thread and great music!:yeah: I have to pass through your posts next few days.

Action Jackson
12-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Slovenia's contribution.

kNsIrqrFpUA

N0yH_6TYtiI

Bascule
12-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Slovenia's contribution.

kNsIrqrFpUA

N0yH_6TYtiI

:lol: I had their record almost 30 years ago. (...the eight day God created Rock...)
I'll go on with Sloveni's contribution:
u-LhLnmw9R4
6J7ri91oVcM
more slovenian:
C6J77uvrdi0
0njwNrd_LXw
qLWMNhWVKKI
Ps78pY_GdH4(this was Kongres from Sarajevo in original, think they are almost all dead)
2586jJAJGSs

Bascule
12-21-2009, 07:10 PM
To finish with my Slovenia's contribution: LAIBACH!!!
The first one is "F.I.A.T." composed for the theater. My favorite in teen days.
vf-QPivJ-Lo
4_zA7nukoZA

Nolby
12-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Stiff Little Fingers - White Christmas

4WO-J5xLqXc

Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight)

zCaaRQ149-I

Action Jackson
12-27-2009, 01:06 AM
Early INXS, this is the live version of a song which Gilles Simon wishes he was half as cool as.

aAfZ4xvu65k

Nolby
12-27-2009, 01:36 AM
More Australian Post-Punk: Dave Graney's old Band that Supported Nick Cave's Birthday Party

The Moodists - Thirsty's Calling

1keNnBLPdOE

The Moddists - Double-Life

WKljMtFtSyE

Dave Graney- RocknRoll is where i hide (This is a great vid; wish I could find a better quality version)

wI1f3Dp22qI