Favorite folk music thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Favorite folk music thread

Aloimeh
12-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Post your favorite ethnic/folk music here: dances, ballads, instrumental, vocal, whatever. Hopefully as authentic as possible.

Ivanatis
12-05-2009, 11:20 AM
don't listen that much to folk music, but I kinda love stuff from Ireland here:

2-LkTsol220
(This is the best version of this song I think. There's a pretty good one from Dropkick Murphys too)

74Jycofhny0

jonathancrane
12-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Agujetas, raw power
This is flamenco as pure as possible

qF16bTLakaw&feature=related

Aloimeh
12-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I like this Scottish song

B3cF-NhFI5I

Aloimeh
12-05-2009, 03:45 PM
dvPl8Hkh5Nc

Ivanatis
12-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Joan Baez is a very gifted artist.

Aloimeh
12-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Joan Baez is a very gifted artist.

I agree, she has a stunningly "naive" and "pure" voice, if I could call it that.

Moj dilbere in two versions

gbSENb4uc6M

1e55JsqfpvU

Echoes
12-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Also love Irish ballads.

z16_l7bT_Qw

Classics from the Dubliners:

au30c9ZMIPg

HCYpgVZ4HrE

Snoo Foo
12-05-2009, 04:56 PM
uRtd9TFfScU

Echoes
12-05-2009, 05:06 PM
(This is the best version of this song I think. There's a pretty good one from Dropkick Murphys too)

wow, great version. :yeah:

I heard the version by the Fureys (original?) on Last.fm last year and loved it.

Aloimeh
12-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Two Japanese favorites:

Chiisai Aki Mitsuketa

NhVbo-m0ctA

Aka Tombo

w5Qt40f-GFY

Snoo Foo
12-05-2009, 05:25 PM
tSzfWLlvlAE

Jōris
12-05-2009, 07:06 PM
8yNfnqueYQY

NinaNina19
12-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Clannad :hearts:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6iIGAfS3gBA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6iIGAfS3gBA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nolby
12-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Nick Drake - Time Has Told Me

t5HsQsmJsRY

Ivanatis
12-06-2009, 12:19 AM
tSzfWLlvlAE

oh I forgot Johnny, how could that happen, I love him:o
didn't think of him as a folk singer as he covers pretty much every area of music

crdYfK7Hv2g

0nUAyjC-RJg
(ignore the images)

US-version This Land Is Your Land -> http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=NEJBZ2pRcWuRpS0hBUjQ&johnny-cash-this-land-is-your-land-live-usa=

Henry Chinaski
12-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Luke Kelly - Raglan Road (some of the unitiated will know it from In Bruges)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRHeTIcgwH8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRHeTIcgwH8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Henry Chinaski
12-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Agalloch - Isle of Summer

Agalloch are a folk metal band from Portland. This is one of their mellow acoustic, vocal-free songs so don't be afraid to check it even if the word metal scares you.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tg17KCdgrIs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tg17KCdgrIs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Aloimeh
12-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Waves of the Danube, in two versions

hcMHAfhE8pQ

PwxYxQg2gcY

acionescu
12-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Maybe Ivanovic's ethnicity was Serb, but he was born, raised, lived al his life( in Galati, on Danube's bord, 30 km from my city) and died in Romania :shrug:

Maria Ciobanu - Lie Ciocarlie

CiTAf4r7ILI

Maria Tanase - Cine iubeste si lasa

GbzmK9kMCWU

Nicolae Furdui Iancu

ROeKww2N62A&feature=related

gPSmPd7-rJE&feature=related

Sofia Vicoveanca

9nMflIUP-LU

MsTree
12-06-2009, 10:49 AM
No folk music thread would be complete without a mention of Swamptrash :D

They played a mad blend of Scottish folk and bluegrass, I was lucky enough to see them live countless times and they really went for it! Amazing :D

1mVQ9-v5cxc

NSxTEe_X0Aw

On the go at the same time were the slightly more tradiotional Critterhill Varmints, I loved them too :)

Ojx4y1-VvKU

Together they started "Acid Croft", folky dance music for first generation ravers (yes I'm that old :sad:)
Shooglenifty is the latest incarnation, still bringing folky dance music to village halls and festivals all over the world and still a great night out :)

Some more info and mp3s here http://www.lazypict.thehighlands.co.uk/acidcroft/acidcrofthistory.htm

Getta
12-06-2009, 12:00 PM
1. Savina Yannatou - Ferte Mou Ena Mandolino (Bring me a mandolin)

KusIgX9r4T4

Music and lyrics by Manos Hadjidakis.

2. Nikos Xilouris - Pote Tha Kanei Ksasteria (Would there be a starry sky)

nzSjGLAVQpY

A traditional revolutionary Cretan song.

3. Mikis Theodorakis - Dakrismena Matia (Weeping eyes)

Y6INqakLxi8

It is certain that the Greek and Turkish cultural heritages are so intimately entwined in folk music. :worship:

4. George Dalaras - Ta Smyrneika tragoudia (Songs of Smyrna/Izmir)

O1e3FNH2xi8

George Dalaras singing at the Odeon of Herode Atticus (Athens) in 2004 during the live 'Tribute to Asia Minor'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1e3FNH2xi8

Aloimeh
12-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Maybe Ivanovic's ethnicity was Serb, but he was born, raised, lived al his life( in Galati, on Danube's bord, 30 km from my city) and died in Romania :shrug:

Nicolae Furdui Iancu

ROeKww2N62A&feature=related

I like this song by Iancu. I didn't say Ion Ivanovici/Jovan Ivanovic was a Serb at all. He probably had Serb roots but seems to have identified as a Romanian. One of the most important politicians in Serbia's history, PM Nikola Pasic was in fact a Vlach from Bulgaria. There's plenty of this cross-border stuff we needn't get into.

I actually first heard this song (Waves of the Danube) in a movie by Emir Kusturica called "When Father was Away on Business" and I found the melody beautiful and haunting. I thought it might be a Serbian song (given the movie) but couldn't find its name anywhere.

Then I heard it being played in a hospital in the US and the song was by Al Jolson. I couldn't catch the name, though.

Only years later did I find out that Al Jolson called the song "Anniversary Song" but that it was indeed an Eastern European song, which it sounded like, and that it's name was Waves of the Danube.

Aloimeh
12-06-2009, 03:12 PM
1. Savina Yannatou - Ferte Mou Ena Mandolino (Bring me a mandolin)

Music and lyrics by Manos Hadjidakis.

2. Nikos Xilouris - Pote Tha Kanei Ksasteria (Would there be a starry sky)

A traditional revolutionary Cretan song.

3. Mikis Theodorakis - Dakrismena Matia (Weeping eyes)

It is certain that the Greek and Turkish cultural heritages are so intimately entwined in folk music. :worship:

4. George Dalaras - Ta Smyrneika tragoudia (Songs of Smyrna/Izmir)

George Dalaras singing at the Odeon of Herode Atticus (Athens) in 2004 during the live 'Tribute to Asia Minor'.

I like Dakrismena Matia. Do you have any insight on what Greek/Byzantine music sounded like prior to the Turkish arrival in Anatolia? My impression is that a lot of Balkan music is considered massively Oriental/Turkish in origin, but that it could very well be the other way around - Turks and Arabs adopting music from the Byzantines.

I like this song - Misirlou

F6mfdTIrYnQ

Aloimeh
12-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Some traditional Serbian favorites:

Marijo deli bela kumrijo

bUxTcIVnWOI

Ajde jano kolo da igramo

DHgxHyOmtmM

Ruse kose curo imas

MtOyJf5kkVI

Echoes
12-06-2009, 05:59 PM
My favourite version from traditional folk song Oh Suzanna: by the Byrds. Well of course it's rather "folk rock" but I just love the jingle jangle, on this song it's really perfect.

Oqb22jraoKA

And emotionnally my favourite version of This Land is your land, at MSG for Pete Seeger's 90th birthday. :wavey: :)

QoIDy9bAPUI

Harmless
12-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Esma and Saban, both legends of Gypsy music, singing together in Mostar Sevdah Reunion
4Gp_mwg0R8I

The woman that originally got me into etno music -- Cesaria Evora :worship:
The most soulful voice I've ever heard.
Her most famous song, Sodade.
YFuRb7Fr5bQ

Lole y Manuel.
Not enough :worship: icons permitted.
vYaFR7w5aT4

Lidija Bauk.
jIRQ7B5MJQo

Saban Bajramovic, absolute legend. Famous gypsy song in a jazz arrangement.
P5V07-LHOAs

ETA:
Stupidly erased prev. post by mistake. /auto-facepalm

Nick Drake and the flamenco are amazing. :hearts:
Also mistakenly confused Aloimeh for JG. :rolls:
That Murray avatar just grows on you, no way are the mullets going to replace that. Thanks for posting the different version of Moj Dilbere, Aloimeh. :hug: I love that song. :)

habibko
12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
for Arabic folk lovers

0pYlRhE2AP4

QMlW_quYC68

UdpO5fKs2dg

Saudi interpretation of the Spanish Malaguena, became an Oud folklore here:

zFCYNZCaoFc

BkgMoi7-Zls

and I'll finish with those beautiful panflute songs by a Turkish folk band

Gu9NBDIvqho

aUgtNTJCuFk

Snoo Foo
12-06-2009, 11:03 PM
gC43lpARDk0

DdktFeIu4Xo

Harmless
12-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Gonçalo Salgueiro, Fado.
One of the most beautiful male voices ever.
You'd think there could be nothing new in a genre of music that was practically sealed by Amalia's genious, but he manages to bring out even more than anyone can expect. :worship:
I always thought Portuguese sounds a little coarse, but he makes it sound like the most beautiful language in the world.

x8fmnEpis18

DdktFeIu4Xo

:worship:

6aI2Miy5kH0