Is Federer really totally out of shape? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Federer really totally out of shape?

pinky
09-02-2004, 11:25 PM
I was pretty estonished by this swiss newspaper article saying Fed is totally out of shape, both mentally and physically, after his match against Baghdatis! They even say that only pride is permitting him to win it... This is sooo pessimistic.

Roger is certainly not playing at the top of his possibilities but am i the only one to not have seen him in such bad shape!?

PS: If you understand french you can see the article at www.lematin.ch ... well here it is:

Federer vacillant, mais debout!

US OPEN Difficile vainqueur de Marcos Baghdatis au deuxième tour, le Bâlois est à bout de forces. Seul l'orgueil le pousse à tenir son rang
Le sourire se veut rassurant, le regard, lui, ne trompe personne. Roger Federer n'est «pas bien» et, ne serait-ce l'orgueil qui le pousse à tenir son rang, le numéro un mondial crierait «pouce!» Minuit, mercredi soir, dans les entrailles de Flushing Meadow. Perclus de crampes, Marcos Baghdatis est venu exhiber ses canines en salle de presse. «J'ai mal partout... mais le jeu en valait la chandelle», assurait-il. Sur le ton de la confidence: «A la fin du match, il m'a souhaité bonne chance pour la suite de ma carrière. Et, moi, je lui ai souhaité bonne chance pour... la suite du tournoi.»

Le joueur chypriote a bluffé son monde. S'est «étonné» lui-même: «Franchement, je crois qu'au deuxième set j'ai joué le tennis de ma vie...» Plus stupéfait encore: «Et, ce set, je l'ai gagné! Contre le meilleur joueur du monde... Ça, c'est (hésitation) extra!»

Roger Federer n'aura pas d'autres mots. «Ce gars m'a épaté, dira-t-il. Et ce qu'il est parvenu à faire dans cette deuxième manche plus encore...» Toujours ce souci d'être fidèle à l'image que les amateurs de tennis ont de lui: «Là, je crois que le public s'est vraiment régalé.» Pause sourire: «Moi aussi... sauf que je l'ai perdue...» Et qu'alors, à un set partout, tandis que le galopin d'en face en prenait à son aise, il lui avait fallu «se faire mal» pour, plus tard, finir en roue libre. S'arracher, comme on dit, pour ne pas rejouer un pâle remake du (mauvais) film tourné il y a de cela à peine deux semaines à Athènes.

Il a encore des ressources
Soulagé plus que satisfait, Roger Federer ne se berce d'aucunes illusions. Ses jambes sont lourdes, infiniment plus lourdes que ses frappes de balle, il est mentalement fatigué et, pour l'heure, n'est surtout pas prêt pour les grands combats qui (peut-être) l'attendent. «Ce genre de match doit me servir, dira-t-il encore. Si, comme c'est le cas, je parviens à les gagner, c'est que j'ai encore des ressources. A moi d'aller chercher les forces nécessaires... J'ai toujours dit que je viendrais ici dans le but de faire aussi bien que l'an dernier. Tout ce qui viendra à partir du troisième tour sera du bénéfice net...»

Iheartandy&roger
09-03-2004, 02:59 AM
I'm glad they know how he feels i'm sure that Rogi picked up that phone and told them all that bullshit... lmao ....losers... :rolleyes: How about a nice fuck you and have a nice day for the media :wavey:

Neely
09-03-2004, 03:04 AM
well, I think, right now Roger is of course not the same player like one/two months ago, but of course I also think this article is tooo pessimistic because Roger also is just a human being and no robot who can do its work always consistently at one very high level...

BTW, some nices quotes of Baghdatis, sounds good!

Havok
09-03-2004, 03:06 AM
Roger isn't out of shape, where do these people get this crap from?:lol: I didn't watch the match, but I heard that Bagdatis played a terrific 2nd set to take it from Federer. I'm sure he's somewhat mentaly fatigued when compared to lets say the beginning of this year or something, but he's still pretty strong up there in the noggin.;) (though his exxesive throwing away leads and playing stupid service games when its time to close out sets/matches are a bit odd) Don't look into it too much, they just had to write something about him.:lol:

LCeh
09-03-2004, 03:08 AM
It's interesting that he said Roger is out of shape. After 4 sets of tennis, I didn't see any signs of Roger breathing hard or anything. I think usually his fatigue is more mental than anything. At least from the first 2 matches here, he seems to be in great shape.

EDIT: Thanks Naldo, for making my post pointless... :mad:

Iheartandy&roger
09-03-2004, 03:16 AM
Here I will say this Lets give a round of applause for the media and how they proved themselves to be BIG dumbasses and that they should stay out of their own fucking business cuz did Rogi tell them that he was out of shape? I dont think so cuz he's not! so here i go and I will say it again Fuck you and have a nice day. :wavey: we'll see if they dare print anything like that wen he gets into the finals and takes this open.

Dirk
09-03-2004, 03:28 AM
Rogi is feeling well and looks fine. Yes the last few weeks he was out of it. He needed to recharge himself and now he feels fine. I just hope Rogi didn't see this article because I don't want to feel bad. All number ones have their critics.

Havok
09-03-2004, 03:49 AM
Why would he feel bad if he read it though? We know and he knows that all this crap they're writing is bullshit, and it really isn't criticising him much. I didn't read it but it seems as though they just mentioned that he's a bit weak mentaly and physicaly s opposed to previous tournaments, it's not like they're saying his game has gone to the deep end.:lol:

Deboogle!.
09-03-2004, 04:20 AM
mmmmmmm someone in Switzerland got their hands on some wicked awesome crack :cuckoo:

Seraphim
09-03-2004, 04:25 AM
Did someone say CRACK? (sniff)

Seraphim
09-03-2004, 04:26 AM
I can't speak Non-English. Dang!

ae wowww
09-03-2004, 07:43 AM
i would say its understandable if it is. all the pressure thats been built up on him, and he's been playing near enough every week... he must be exhausted. sam smith was talking about this i think, a whileback on sky sp

Daniel
09-03-2004, 07:51 AM
No.

RogiFan88
09-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Swiss papers are always doing the doom and gloom thing... they said Rogi won [v. Costa in R1] but unconvincingly...

They are v. hard on him and place such high expectations on him but when he doesn't perform at 100%, he's useless... whatever...

RogiFan88
09-03-2004, 02:11 PM
this article was written by the guy who wrote Rogi's bio

Crazy_Fool
09-03-2004, 02:14 PM
this article was written by the guy who wrote Rogi's bio
K, so maybe he knows what he's talking about then if he's been close up and following Roger for a long time ;)

Fumus
09-03-2004, 02:15 PM
yea he's looked awful lately with winning a masters in canada, IW, paris, and two grand slams. Roger is out of shape for sure!:haha:

speedracer
09-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Swiss papers are always doing the doom and gloom thing... they said Rogi won [v. Costa in R1] but unconvincingly...

They are v. hard on him and place such high expectations on him but when he doesn't perform at 100%, he's useless... whatever...

If I was him, I'd drop Davis Cup. At least they'd have a real reason to bash him. He can't win it alone anyway. Why to bother...

Crazy_Fool
09-03-2004, 02:18 PM
IW was months ago. Paris :confused:

Federer hasn't been playing that well for a while, even at Canada.

Fumus
09-03-2004, 02:19 PM
My point CF, is that Roger has had a great year so far, no reason to think that he is going start playing poorly now.

Crazy_Fool
09-03-2004, 02:22 PM
My point CF, is that Roger has had a great year so far, no reason to think otherwise that I can see yet.
Sure, but he hasn't looked as great as he had earlier in the season thats all i'm saying. If you see how well he played at the start or even at Wimbledon and now, there's a big difference. But i guess we'll see in the next week or so...

Winston's Human
09-03-2004, 02:31 PM
This seems like nonsense. Federer has accomplished more this year than most players accomplish in their entire career:
2GS, 3 Masters, 3 other titles with wins on every surface.

Maybe, he let nerves get the better of him at the Olympics. But, it seems like that would categorize nearly all the top players there.

WF4EVER
09-03-2004, 02:33 PM
If I was him, I'd drop Davis Cup. At least they'd have a real reason to bush him. He can't win it alone anyway. Why to bother...

ITA. Davis Cup is too much pressure on him because he has to work too fucking hard.

Too bad Roger seems too nice to drop his pants and spread his ass to this idiot.

Roger is working hard out there trying to do his best and lift his country even higher. He's won 8 titles this year including two slams. If he's tired he deserves to be tired, but he doesn't deserved even more pressure from his countrymen who want to ride his back and make a name for themselves.

I truly beleive that after this USO Roger should retire for the rest of the year until he plays a warm-up for the Masters.

He had good matches against Costa and Baghdatis. He needs to get into a groove now so that he's ready for the so-called better hardcourt players. The last thing he needs is to be told he sucks by his countryman.

WyveN
09-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Federer appears to be playing worse because most of us are comparing his current form to his Wimbledon form. Federer will always look magnificent on grass because it is his best surface and all parts of his game suit grass very well. Even when he lost to Ancic in the first round in 2002 Roger looked to be in great form but Ancic played very well.

pinky
09-03-2004, 03:38 PM
He had good matches against Costa and Baghdatis. He needs to get into a groove now so that he's ready for the so-called better hardcourt players. The last thing he needs is to be told he sucks by his countryman.

Maybe the guy doesn't go as far as saying he sucks but reading it you would certainly be pretty sure Roger would lose in the 3rd or 4th round...

Anyway, it seems, and i hope, that this guy smoked crack ;)