Hewitt's Backhand? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt's Backhand?

sammy01
11-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Ok so i was having an arguement/debate on TF and the person i was arguing with reckoned hewitt has one of the best backhands on the mens tour. I totally disagreed and think his left arm is far to straight on contact with the ball, thus making him hit crosscourt the majority of the time.

I obviously think im right, but i would be intrested to know your opinion? :p

p.s i think this might be my 1st GM thread ever lol

fast_clay
11-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Ok so i was having an arguement/debate on TF and the person i was arguing with reckoned hewitt has one of the best backhands on the mens tour. I totally disagreed and think his left arm is far to straight on contact with the ball, thus making him hit crosscourt the majority of the time.

I obviously think im right, but i would be intrested to know your opinion? :p

p.s i think this might be my 1st GM thread ever lol

you are not far wrong... his left arm straightens earlier in the swing, and aids stability with quick, heavy stuff + returns + balls on the rise... when he's asked to generate pace the shot is not devestating, and a tad less reliable... his feel for the shot is a little more rigid and flat than most as a result imo, whereas slower, deader balls are more adept when that left elbow has more room to operate...

djokovic would be the best example of a player you has feel at both high power, and the creativity at low power the hewitt doesnt posses as well... djokovic cuts off the court and takes time away from the rally as good as hewitt did some years back with flat stuff on that backhand wing and the left is straightened earlier for these...

djokovic, del potro and davydenko are the only few that can strike the ball consistantly cleaner than hewitt in the top 30... so yeah a good shot... imo...