Would it make sense for Federer to change racquets? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Would it make sense for Federer to change racquets?

Nidhogg
11-22-2009, 11:21 PM
The topic has been raised every now and then. Is there something for Federer to gain by picking up a new racquet with a slightly bigger headsize?

Federer has already made such a move once, back in 2002. He went from a headsize of 85'' to 90'', and as a result he didn't shank the ball anywhere near as often, lifting his confidence in his strokes. We all know how his career evolved from then on.

As of late it has become obvious that his footwork and courtspeed isn't quite what it was when he was at his best. It's only natural as he has lost a step with age. Hence he is often shanking the ball, as he can't get himself in position for his shots quite as well as he used to be.

So, would he be able to adapt if he had Wilson make him another racquet with a headsize such as 93'' or 95''? It would have a larger sweetspot and thus also be more forgiving for the days when he isn't hitting the ball quite as well (there has been quite a few of those this year, hasn't it?). Would he shank less balls?

Or is it just ridiculous and pointless for him to make such a change at this stage in his career? Would it mess up his timing and precision for good?

What's your take?

Dini
11-22-2009, 11:23 PM
He's got a different racquet for next year.

Arkulari
11-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Racquets aren't something you mess with, see what happened to Nole, I know it's not the same changing brands that just changing headsizes, but still, he has played 8 years with the same one and he has been in the top 10 all these years, this is more about his natural decline as a player that the fact that the racquet isn't working anymore and a DRAMATIC change (going from 90" to 95" for example) at this stage of his career can bring more wrong than right IMO

Nad: I do think this is gonna be one of those paintjobs the brands are so famous about :p

Sunset of Age
11-22-2009, 11:24 PM
He's got a different racquet for next year.

Do you really believe that? The way Wilson is advertising it screams 'paintjob' all over.

Cloudygirl
11-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Racket or paintjob?

Arkulari
11-22-2009, 11:27 PM
I think it's paintjob Tori :p

Dini
Why would Wilson feel the need to paintjob his old racquet? :confused:

guga2120
So many of his big match wins in the last few years were b/c of his serve. A bigger head would hurt his accuracy and his racquet head speed. Alot of his misses lately have been b/c of his footwork and timing, and not b/c of his frame.

Arkulari
11-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Nad: because they want to sell a new racquet, but he won't change his ;)

It's not the same to say: hey, buy XX Wilson racquet than say hey, buy Federer's NEW racquet :p

Pros do that all the time :p

Dini
11-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Hmmm. Could well be the case.

Sunset of Age
11-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Why would Wilson feel the need to paintjob his old racquet? :confused:

It's callled 'marketing'. Firms do that all the time, just to be able to advertise the 'new' racket.

Cloudygirl
11-22-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure if there is a thread on here but there was a thread on talk tennis with what racket the pros are advertised as using, and what racket they are actually using and there weren't many top players that weren't playing with a paintjob.

Burrow
11-22-2009, 11:34 PM
:lol: People just don't understand paintjobs, do research with stringers for god's sake.

And no, he reached his peak using a 90", so if anything it would make him play worse.

Burrow
11-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Henman used the Pro Staff original, at least for most of his career.

DrJules
Racquets aren't something you mess with, see what happened to Nole, I know it's not the same changing brands that just changing headsizes, but still, he has played 8 years with the same one and he has been in the top 10 all these years, this is more about his natural decline as a player that the fact that the racquet isn't working anymore and a DRAMATIC change (going from 90" to 95" for example) at this stage of his career can bring more wrong than right IMO

Nad: I do think this is gonna be one of those paintjobs the brands are so famous about :p

I know. Its painful. He keeps winning.

Nidhogg
I myself don't think he will make any change, as he probably feels he has much more to lose than win by doing it, and getting used to such a major change would take time if it's possible at all.

So, I doubt it will happen, but it would be very interesting if it did.

Arkulari
11-22-2009, 11:37 PM
I know. Its painful. He keeps winning.

:lol: :lol:

what happened when he was getting used to his racquet? :p
it takes time to get the feel of a new one ;)

Burrow
11-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Djokovic has always used Head, many touring stringers have spoken about this included a couple of lower ranked players.

Lee
11-23-2009, 03:34 AM
It's callled 'marketing'. Firms do that all the time, just to be able to advertise the 'new' racket.

Even the "new" commercial is the old one, Wilson used the old commercial and changed the name of the racket. :rolls:

Start da Game
11-23-2009, 04:16 AM
So many of his big match wins in the last few years were b/c of his serve. A bigger head would hurt his accuracy and his racquet head speed. Alot of his misses lately have been b/c of his footwork and timing, and not b/c of his frame.

concurred.......

Federerhingis
11-23-2009, 04:44 AM

I definitely agree, besides a racket head size change at this point could be more a hinderance than benefitial.

Nidhogg
11-23-2009, 07:49 AM
As many of you have pointed out, a change like this would alter the dynamics of his shots greatly. Hence he would also have to change the way he plays, altering the form of his strokes a bit. I think it would be most difficult for him to cope with the change when serving and hitting his forehand.

All in all, he won't make a change like this unless he plummets down the rankings.

Does anyone know the different specs of Federer's 85'' and 90'' racquets? I wonder how much they differ in weight, etc.

Edit: It seems they both weigh 340g and have just about the same specs. I'm curious if Roger has ever tried a bigger headsize like 93''.

Bernard Black
11-23-2009, 10:07 AM
He has had the greatest career of all time with the frame he is using, so yes, he should definitely switch to a junior racquet.

duong
11-23-2009, 11:15 AM
I myself don't think he will make any change, as he probably feels he has much more to lose than win by doing it, and getting used to such a major change would take time if it's possible at all.

So, I doubt it will happen, but it would be very interesting if it did.

So far, I think we mostly need to know whether his "new" racket is really a paintjob or not.

He won't change anything more before long.

leng jai
11-23-2009, 11:20 AM
He should change to a double handed forehand first.

Byrd
11-23-2009, 11:26 AM
There's really no need, he's still beaating the majority of players and being no.1 in the world by quite some margin. It's mostly due to his decline with his age.

tyruk14
11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
He made all four major finals this year. Why would he change? A few shanks -- all right, more than a few -- against Verdasco in a best-of-three-set match is no cause for concern from post-mono Fed.