London WTF RR: Murray def Del Potro 6-3 3-6 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

London WTF RR: Murray def Del Potro 6-3 3-6 6-2

Yves.
11-22-2009, 03:40 PM
First set should've been 6-0, but failed to close it out on first 6 occasions. Del Potro started playing alot better in the second set. Third set was all Murray.

rubbERR
11-22-2009, 03:41 PM
bad performance delpo, lack of matches

habibko
11-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Del Pony played like crap in the 3rd set, shame he vanished that way after a very good 2nd set, Murray will be hard to beat here :unsure:

l_mac
Take this, Andy :rocker2:

rocketassist
Del Potro, forever a mouse in this match up.

Johnny Groove
11-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Murray "c'mon"ing for a JMDP double fault :tape:

Clydey
11-22-2009, 03:43 PM

He's had plenty of matches and it was a very good performance. No sane person can look at Pony's hitting starting from 5-0 down in the first set and say that he played a bad match. He was smacking the cover off the ball.

Voo de Mar
11-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Murray needed 7 setpoints to clinch the first set... Very fair crowd :yeah: And a nice venue too - reminds me of Masters in New York and Frankfurt.

I had an impression that the surface is very slow, is it prepareted specially for Murray's defensive skills?

rubbERR
11-22-2009, 03:44 PM
He's had plenty of matches and it was a very good performance. No sane person can look at Pony's hitting starting from 5-0 down in the first set and say that he played a bad match. He was smacking the cover off the ball.

it was crap performance, he was dominating murray 2nd set and self descructed 3rd

and 1st set he was playing useless tennis

Cloudygirl
11-22-2009, 03:45 PM

oh come on he had some epic misses in the 3rd set and 2 double faults in that last game.

Sunset of Age
Bit more difficult than I expected for Murray.

:( :( :(

fsoica
tennis lost here...the pusher won...

RogerFan82
Low and slow surface. Disappointing from Pony in the 3rd set.

Certinfy
Murray :yeah:
Del Potro :hug: :D Better than i expected from him anyway.

Noleta
11-22-2009, 03:46 PM
DelPo couldn't keep it up.

:yeah:Andy.

elessar
I'm not sure you should be judge of that :hug:

The usual Murray early rounds 3 setters that are going to come back to bite him in the ass.

Corey Feldman
good start Muzza

Delpo is here to play, Fed

Murray "c'mon"ing for a JMDP double fault :tape:suck it up!!

Jōris
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
The guy in HarTru's avatar is comparing Murray with Seles. :retard:

Clydey
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
oh come on he had some epic misses in the 3rd set and 2 double faults in that last game.

He wasn't as good in the first set, but it had bugger all to do with any injury. Overall that was a good performance from Pony. You guys seem to think that he's playing poorly unless he smacks a winner on every forehand.

No excuses.

Clydey
11-22-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure you should be judge of that :hug:

The usual Murray early rounds 3 setters that are going to come back to bite him in the ass.

I'm a psychology student. Of course I'm qualified. :shrug:

malisha
11-22-2009, 03:50 PM
good schooling Andy

nobama
11-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Overall that was a good performance from Pony.In the 2nd set and towards the end of the 1st. Beginning of the 1st and the 3rd set was not good tennis from JDMP.

Corey Feldman
DelPo couldn't keep it up.

:eek:

Certinfy
JMDP played pretty well considering his form after the USO...

malisha
11-22-2009, 03:53 PM
JMDP played good but he is just no match to the best indoor player in the world

Johnny Groove
:( :( :(

suck it up!!

It's just classless from Murray.

Although I shouldn't be surprised at all.

RogerFan82
Get ready for Clydey to make 100 posts in this thread, trying to convince everyone that pony boy was playing great tennis and still Murray beat him.

Cloudygirl
He wasn't as good in the first set, but it had bugger all to do with any injury. Overall that was a good performance from Pony. You guys seem to think that he's playing poorly unless he smacks a winner on every forehand.

No excuses.

2 double faults in the last game, and he netted a lot of balls that he shouldn't have done. He was terrible at the start of the first set.

I'm a Murray fan but I'm objective enough to know the difference between when he plays really well to get the win and when he scrapes by.

If he plays like that against Federer and Federer is playing anything like well, he won't win. I'm not sure he would win against Verdasco either.

rubbERR
11-22-2009, 03:54 PM
JMDP played pretty well considering his form after the USO...

:lol: he has retired two matches since then, this was useless performance

Certinfy
11-22-2009, 03:54 PM
JMDP played good but he is just no match to the best indoor player in the worldI didn't realise Del Potro was playing Nalbandian. ;)

Cloudygirl
11-22-2009, 03:55 PM

It was bad. He also come on'ed when Pony netted a volley he really should have made. Nothing to do with what Murray was doing and not good form to cheer at your opponent's errors. I wish he wouldn't do that. He is better than that.

Clydey
11-22-2009, 03:56 PM
2 double faults in the last game, and he netted a lot of balls that he shouldn't have done. He was terrible at the start of the first set.

I'm a Murray fan but I'm objective enough to know the difference between when he plays really well to get the win and when he scrapes by.

If he plays like that against Federer and Federer is playing anything like well, he won't win. I'm not sure he would win against Verdasco either.

So I'm not being objective because I think that Murray played well? I have no trouble admitting when Murray is shit. He has been rubbish since Miami in most of his matches.

This was a return to form, in my opinion.

Corey Feldman
11-22-2009, 03:57 PM

Although I shouldn't be surprised at all.like Nadal never does it after an opponent's UE :rolleyes:

Clydey
11-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Get ready for Clydey to make 100 posts in this thread, trying to convince everyone that pony boy was playing great tennis and still Murray beat him.

I don't need to convince anyone of anything. The H2H says it all. :shrug:

malisha
11-22-2009, 03:59 PM
I didn't realise Del Potro was playing Nalbandian. ;)

Murrays indoor winning ratio is clearly better and its not even close;)

Johnny Groove
11-22-2009, 03:59 PM
like Nadal never does it after an opponent's UE :rolleyes:

I don't recall Nadal ever yelling out Vamos after a player hit a double fault. Errors, maybe if its been a long rally and Nadal had to really fight to stay in it, but other than that, sorry big boy.

Murray is still a punk.

Ilovetheblues_86
11-22-2009, 04:00 PM
That Del Potro suicide forheand is very ugly xaxa.

habibko
11-22-2009, 04:01 PM
So I'm not being objective because I think that Murray played well? I have no trouble admitting when Murray is shit. He has been rubbish since Miami in most of his matches.

This was a return to form, in my opinion.

Murray played really well, when he plays well he keeps the ball in play long enough for the other guy to miss or to hit a very short ball which Murray could smach with his backhand as a winner.

however Del Pony couldn't keep playing well long enough to make a difference, he completely vanished in the 3rd set, what a shame.

Clydey
11-22-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't recall Nadal ever yelling out Vamos after a player hit a double fault.

Bollocks.

Not only that, but he is guilty of the most over the top UE celebration history.

Where's that animated .GIF of Nadal celebrating a Murray UE in Toronto 2008? He looked like he was having a seizure.

malisha
11-22-2009, 04:02 PM
I don't need to convince anyone of anything. The H2H says it all. :shrug:

H2H cant really tell how dominant Murray actually is in this particular matchup

all matches were close but anyone who understands tennis knewed who will win at the end

Johnny Groove
11-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Bollocks.

Not only that, but he is guilty of the most over the top UE celebration history.

Where's that animated .GIF of Nadal celebrating a Murray UE in Toronto 2008? He looked like he was having a seizure.

I'm surprised you haven't already posted it here, Clydey.

Ilovetheblues_86
11-22-2009, 04:03 PM
This guys are fighting for money, fama, woman and atp points, they can celebrate what they want.

rocketassist
11-22-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't recall Nadal ever yelling out Vamos after a player hit a double fault.

:lol: Nadal cheers errors all the time.

Clydey
11-22-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm surprised you haven't already posted it here, Clydey.

No idea where it is. Think Tangy had it as her sig for a while.

Corey Feldman
11-22-2009, 04:05 PM
9h7Dj_94EOs

Sunset of Age
11-22-2009, 04:06 PM

Well I am a bit surprised, really. He should be beyond this kind of classless behaviour by now, it's not like he's a debutant. In stead... it seems to be getting worse and worse. :o

moon language
11-22-2009, 04:07 PM

You can't get more matches under your belt if you're losing all the time. Funny how that works.

Ilovetheblues_86
11-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Roarr Nadal fans should shut up after this video. Clidey always one of the best posters in this forum. :worship:

Clydey
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
9h7Dj_94EOs

Mikey, you little star. :haha:

Clydey
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Roarr Nadal fans should shut up after this video. Clidey always one of the best posters in this forum. :worship:

You're too kind. :hug:

madmax
11-22-2009, 04:10 PM
9h7Dj_94EOs

Nadull in ecstacy...ROFLMAO

Corey Feldman
11-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Blaze just got Punk'D

l_mac
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Rafa :inlove:

That is hardly comparable to cheering a double fault. He had just won a long rally and got to match point :hearts:

malisha
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Blaze just got Punk'D

:lol:

Johnny Groove
11-22-2009, 04:13 PM
:lol: Nadal cheers errors all the time.

9h7Dj_94EOs

Nice to see the Murray fans getting their tighty whiteys in a bunch over this :lol:

That is hardly comparable to cheering a double fault. He had just won a long rally and got to match point :hearts:

That's what I'm sayin.

It was a tough rally :p

Again, never have I seen him cheer a double fault.

Jōris
11-22-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't recall Nadal ever yelling out Vamos after a player hit a double fault. Errors, maybe if its been a long rally and Nadal had to really fight to stay in it, but other than that, sorry big boy.

Murray is still a punk.

A bit of on-court intimidation is common in tennis.

Ilovetheblues_86
11-22-2009, 04:14 PM

I always like when Murray comemorates points too, you know, he show britains have a latino heart. :inlove:

Df, long rally, always gives the same points eh. But then again cheering against the other is cool. Like Soderking, the master says: "Don´t be false. Don´t ask for excuses if you are happy to win the point"

Clydey
11-22-2009, 04:14 PM
A bit of on-court intimidation is common in tennis.

This Arend talks sense.

l_mac
11-22-2009, 04:15 PM
I always like when Murray comemorates points too, you know, he show britains have a latino heart. :inlove:

I like Murray :shrug: I don't care if he cheers double faults, especially not DelPo's :D

SaFed2005

You know many players do yell c'mon or vamos every now and then at opponents errors, espeically when its a long and grueling point. Murray on the other hand screams on the top of his lungs no matter what, including on opponents double faults as if he did something special to earn that point. At least when Nadal does it, its a long hard earned point.

Murray acts like a total prick when he is on court. He reminds me of screamapova yelling c'mon at everything.

Dini
Cheering on a DF is the lowest low. Cheering a UE is quite low too, but sometimes those errors are forced and come after exhausting rallies... so it could be understanable in those cases. But in a DF you have put no effort what so ever.

Clydey
11-22-2009, 04:16 PM
You know many players do yell c'mon or vamos every now and then at opponents errors, espeically when its a long and grueling point. Murray on the other hand screams on the top of his lungs no matter what, including on opponents double faults as if he did something special to earn that point. At least when Nadal does it, its a long hard earned point.

Murray acts like a total prick when he is on court. He reminds me of screamapova yelling c'mon at everything.

Dry those eyes, emo kid.

l_mac
11-22-2009, 04:16 PM
But in a DF you have put no effort what so ever.

Clearly you weren't listening to the BBC commentary.

Murray forced those DFs with his very presence :worship:

Noleta
11-22-2009, 04:17 PM
:eek:

The second set tennis i meant:p

Burrow
11-22-2009, 04:19 PM

What's new...

Jōris
11-22-2009, 04:20 PM

http://www.georgenick.co.uk/Images/Good%20House/Andrew.jpg

"Murray's bodylanguage in the beginning of the third set sets Del Potro off"

Steelq
11-22-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't mind his cheering on opponents UE,since thats how he wins 90 % of his points,but cheering on DF is just the lowest of the low.

angry1
11-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Cheering on a DF is the lowest low. Cheering a UE is quite low too, but sometimes those errors are forced and come after exhausting rallies... so it could be understanable in those cases. But in a DF you have put no effort what so ever.

Cheering an error is cheering an error,no degrees.

Murray had done something to earn that point by winning 4/5 2nd serves JMDP got in play in that set.Nadal was in no position to affect play if Murray hadn't butchered the volley in that clip.

I would much prefer he stops doing that,but those(not you)who repeatedly lie about him being unique are beneath contempt.

Orka_n
11-22-2009, 04:23 PM
What is this... fans of two pushers fighting over which pusher has the worst sportsmanship.

And I'm sad, because tennis lost today.

Jōris
11-22-2009, 04:24 PM
This Arend talks sense.

Only a few people are smart enough to realise it.

Dini
11-22-2009, 04:26 PM

Actually I do think there are degrees. Cheering an error after a 20+ shot rally is much more excusable than cheering a DF where you don't even have to put the ball across the net. The point where Nadal cheered on Murray's UE was a bit OTT though.

guga2120
11-22-2009, 04:26 PM
The better player won. Hopefully Andy, keeps it up.

Del Potro's, forehand is so ugly, just bashes the ball as hard as he can.

Cloudygirl
11-22-2009, 04:28 PM

the ridiculousness of the commentary was actually way more entertaining than the match.

rocketassist
What is this... fans of two pushers fighting over which pusher has the worst sportsmanship.

And I'm sad, because tennis lost today.

Tennis doesn't really win at all at this TMC unless Robin sends the pig to school.

Brick Top
congratz to Andy

Jade Fox
11-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Ugh, I can't believe anyone actually gives a shit about this stuff. Really, we're gonna bitch everytime a player doesn't act like a perfect gentleman on court? Really? :rolleyes:

As long as they don't actually break any rules, Nadal and Murray can celebrate their point wins however they want IMO.

Jōris
11-22-2009, 04:30 PM

Del Porto's three consecutive crosscourt forehands in the second set followed by a crosscourt winner was the point of the match for me.

Kiman
11-22-2009, 04:32 PM

Murray had done something to earn that point by winning 4/5 2nd serves JMDP got in play in that set.Nadal was in no position to affect play if Murray hadn't butchered the volley in that clip.

I would much prefer he stops doing that,but those(not you)who repeatedly lie about him being unique are beneath contempt.
Subjective thing. If a guy at the local club cheers unforced error after strong exchange, I would not mind, but if he cheers after DF I make, the very next tennis ball wouldn't miss... in between his ears.:shrug:

Clydey
11-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Del Porto's three consecutive crosscourt forehands in the second set followed by a crosscourt winner was the point of the match for me.

Do you know what the point of the match was for me? The Del Potro double fault to set up match point. Murray let out a huge roar when that happened and the crowd voiced their approval. Great effort from Murray to earn that point.

Vida
11-22-2009, 04:33 PM
murray was very lucky delpo didn't have the gas to sustain the level of play from the second set. and no wonder he didn't, since he had played what, 6 matches since USO.

that said, the win was completely deserved (luck has nothing to do with it) just it had far less to do with murray and all to do with delpo. naturally, this is evident by UE curve throughout the match. in another words, the worse the match - more chance for murray to win.

Vida
11-22-2009, 04:35 PM
the forehand delpo finished 2nd set was from another planet.

Corey Feldman
11-22-2009, 04:37 PM
its not as if Murray has played that much more tennis than Delpo since us open , they both have had problems

SaFed2005
11-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Dry those eyes, emo kid.

Poor Clydey's head is so far up Murray's ass, its funny and sad at the same time.

Vida
11-22-2009, 04:39 PM
he did hava anice patch of play in valencia. also he idnt retire from any of the matches he played.

also I dont read much into the 'wrist' situation.

scarecrows
11-22-2009, 04:41 PM
ah, the good old tardism, makes even cheering at opponents' DFs acceptable

Clydey
11-22-2009, 04:42 PM
he did hava anice patch of play in valencia. also he idnt retire from any of the matches he played.

also I dont read much into the 'wrist' situation.

What do you mean? He had a wrist injury. No one's asking you to read anything more into it.

djb84xi
11-22-2009, 04:45 PM
:cool: It sucked that Delpo kinda went away in that 3rd set, but Murray was lucky to survive this one. He just played way too defensive for my liking. Glad to see he made it through. Hopefully he'll do better when player Roger.

FiBeR
11-22-2009, 04:47 PM
del potro can lose all he wants :D he has a slam

djb84xi
11-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Andy played well, but still a bit too defensive for my liking. I like his chances to get to the semis a whole lot more, now that he got Delpo out of the way.

djb84xi
11-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Del Pony played like crap in the 3rd set, shame he vanished that way after a very good 2nd set, Murray will be hard to beat here :unsure:

I agree that it sucked watching Delpo go away in the 3rd, but Murray was a bit lucky to survive this one. He wasn't as pinpoint sharp as he needed to be, but it got the job done. I like his chances to get to the semis a lot more now.

Burrow
11-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Andy played well, but still a bit too defensive for my liking. I like his chances to get to the semis a whole lot more, now that he got Delpo out of the way.

that's the way he wins though, by pushing

Byrd
11-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Duck is worse than Murray, but the come-ons on DF was a bit too much, but still :lol:

Burrow
11-22-2009, 04:52 PM
I agree that it sucked watching Delpo go away in the 3rd, but Murray was a bit lucky to survive this one. He wasn't as pinpoint sharp as he needed to be, but it got the job done. I like his chances to get to the semis a lot more now.

well, he obviously was as he won.

Nole fan
11-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Good on Murray. :yeah:

yellowboy906
11-22-2009, 04:57 PM
point of the match was when del pussy busted his own shi*t on the floor. back on the floor with his hands and legs to the air like a turtle. then murray hits a 140 mph serve to his balls while we saw two nuts falling out. last but not least, murray yelled come on at del pussy's face and made him cry saying "mommy, some squirrel stole my nuts."

Vida
11-22-2009, 05:03 PM
What do you mean? He had a wrist injury. No one's asking you to read anything more into it.

well I didnt ask anyone to ask me to read into it. I just think effects of those type of injuries (that are not really evident) are overblown in order for player to put some context into why he lost certain match, or even to justify a worse than expected run of form. that is only normal and everybody is doing it.

of course this does not mean I imply murray is a liar and he didnt have any type of injury. I just think it is too convenient and thus overblown.

angry1
11-22-2009, 05:04 PM
point of the match was when del pussy busted his own shi*t on the floor. back on the floor with his hands and legs to the air like a turtle. then murray hits a 140 mph serve to his balls while we saw two nuts falling out. last but not least, murray yelled come on at del pussy's face and made him cry saying "mommy, some squirrel stole my nuts."

I knew my concentration wasn't top notch during the match,but I'm amazed I missed that.

Link to a video?

Bernard Black
11-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Great start from Murray in the first set. Worked Del Potro side-to-side, making him stretch for every ball and at 5-0 looked like it was going to be a procession. Scrappy from there on in though, Del Potro stepped up a bit but he was helped by Murray losing his range putting many shots short and allowing the Argentine to plant his feet and swing away.

Still, good counter-punching play from Murray in the last set to put away the tiring big man.

Burrow
11-22-2009, 05:07 PM
I knew my concentration wasn't top notch during the match,but I'm amazed I missed that.

Link to a video?

Are you serious?

roberthenman
11-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Come On andy :rocker2:

angry1
11-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Are you serious?

No.

yellowboy906
11-22-2009, 05:10 PM

Link to a video?

no link. too bad you missed that. i fell out of my chair when i saw it. and when those squirrels stole del pussy's nuts, he was like "gun cho do marli(conchetumare)"

Clydey
11-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Are you serious?

For fuck sake, Burrow. Not much for sarcasm, are you? :lol:

Burrow
11-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Mhmm, cause it's easy to sense sarcasm over the internet when somebody says something as straight as that. :cuckoo:

Clydey
11-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Mhmm, cause it's easy to sense sarcasm over the internet when somebody says something as straight as that. :cuckoo:

Every other fucker knew it was sarcasm.

Did you read the post he was responding to? Did you seriously think he was asking for a link to a video of Murray hitting a 140mph serve into Del Potro's nuts, while Pony was turtled up on the floor, and then his nuts fell out?

It couldn't have been more obvious. Like I said, the sooner you piss off out of the Scotland, the sooner the national IQ will go up a few points.

SwedSerbia
11-22-2009, 05:25 PM
This match was soo boring to watch. :timebomb: Roger will take an easy win against Verdasco later on. Söderling-Rafa will be an nice match tomorrow :)

tennizen
11-22-2009, 05:26 PM
I think Murray's "come on 's" are hot.

Lopez
11-22-2009, 05:47 PM
About Nadal cheering DF's, I think he cheered (at least) one when he played Scoville Jenkins in the USO a few years back.

Shame that Del Potro went away so tamely. His serving is atrocious though. Comparing to Cilic, it's funny how two players of the same age and height can have so vastly different techniques with Cilic having the much more sound serving technique.

tennishero
11-22-2009, 06:00 PM
i was at the match, del potro didnt play too well, way to many UEs, 1st serve deserted him for the most part and he clearly wasnt focused. murray played really well, great defense as usual. it was a decent match overall.

NinaNina19
11-22-2009, 06:08 PM
:yeah: Andy!!!

Clydey
11-22-2009, 06:15 PM
:yeah: Andy!!!

Where the hell have you been?

sawan66278
11-22-2009, 06:21 PM
EVERY player exhibits some level of gamesmanship (even the "Mighty Fed":rolleyes:)...its part of being a competitor. As long as its not directed AT the opponent, no harm, no foul.

All in all, I thought it was a well played match...given that its the first match on a new court...with a darkened arena like no other. Good win for Andy...and good set for Delpo. Because, again, sets are critical too if tiebreaks are at issue. Even games are important...so nice digging out of the 0-5 hole to win three more games too.

habibko
11-22-2009, 06:28 PM
EVERY player exhibits some level of gamesmanship (even the "Mighty Fed":rolleyes:)

I assume you are referring to him serving "too fast"? :lol:

Bascule
11-22-2009, 06:30 PM
EVERY player exhibits some level of gamesmanship (even the "Mighty Fed":rolleyes:)...its part of being a competitor. As long as its not directed AT the opponent, no harm, no foul.

All in all, I thought it was a well played match...given that its the first match on a new court...with a darkened arena like no other. Good win for Andy...and good set for Delpo. Because, again, sets are critical too if tiebreaks are at issue. Even games are important...so nice digging out of the 0-5 hole to win three more games too.

Be more precise, please. :devil: "Come on"s on DF are not directed to your opponent?:tape: You are definitely not objective about your new sweetheart - Murray.
Strange you didn't mention Novak for once talking about gamesmenship, traitor!:p

Byrd
11-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Murray getting too much hate on here, another sign of how good this guy is getting.

fast_clay
11-22-2009, 06:38 PM
A bit of on-court intimidation is lacking in tennis.

Reported and corrected...

Clydey
11-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Reported and corrected...

Hopefully Arend receives an infraction for that.

Guy Haines
Oh well. Juan is a momentum player and he has none right now.

Murray...2010 is win a major or piss off time.

Stensland
This match was soo boring to watch.

helloooo? :confused: it was murray - what did you expect? i skipped the match entirely. didn't wanna fall asleep and miss roger vs. verdasco.

Guy Haines
11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Murray getting too much hate on here, another sign of how good this guy is getting.

Coming from you, Nadal Obsessive Hater #137, that deserves a :spit:

fast_clay
11-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Hopefully Arend receives an infraction for that.

if there is any justice yes... very poor call by his standards...

murray is a scot, and so, is free of any courtesy that hold regular englishmen back...

nobama
11-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Del Potro's, forehand is so ugly, just bashes the ball as hard as he can.So being a ball basher is bad, but being a pusher is ok?

rocketassist
11-22-2009, 07:09 PM
So being a ball basher is bad, but being a pusher is ok?

I love the way you butt your ugly nose in to things. :rolleyes:

TMJordan
11-22-2009, 07:09 PM

What a sad sack of crap.

Andi-M
11-22-2009, 07:33 PM
I thought it was a high quality match, Murray played beautiful up to 5-0, and Del Po's FH was amazing end of 1st and during 2nd set, 3rd set wasn't as exciting but Murray put in a great service performance in that set and didnt let Potro back in.

All in all :yeah: and I think this group still wide open Potro is definately still in this.

Matt01
11-22-2009, 07:40 PM

:haha:

philosophicalarf
11-22-2009, 07:52 PM

Murray was pretty dodgy in Valencia imo - every match he lost concentration severely, often dropping large numbers of games in a row. It happened today too, from double bp for 6-0, he lost 6 of the next 7. Same happened fairly severely against Gimeno, Mayer and Verdasco in Valencia, and vs Blake and Stepanek he utterly lost his game. He's a bit like Davydenko - needs a lot of matches to get himself mentally up to speed. Still not quite there.

As for retiring: Murray at tour level has one retiral in 286 matches, and that one was a serious wrist injury that cost him half a season (Del Pot has 11 in 194). Like Federer, he finishes the match unless physically completely incapable of doing so.

Anyway, lots of couldawouldashoudas about their matches, but the h2h is pretty stark: 4 meetings on hard courts, 4 Murray wins (US Open, Miami, Montreal, WTF).

fast_clay
11-22-2009, 07:58 PM
yellowboy906 is a wasted ubertalent...

NinaNina19
11-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Where the hell have you been?

Busy with school and life. I'm back now. I missed you guys:awww:.

Clydey
11-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Busy with school and life. I'm back now. I missed you guys:awww:.

Don't ever leave me again, Nina.

decrepitude
11-22-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm watching Fed v Verdasco, but I just thought I would nip on here to say that Gentleman Roger has just loudly yelled "C'mon!" as Verdasco hit the ball into the net. MANY players do this so I don't know why Murray gets such stick for it.

habibko
11-22-2009, 08:27 PM
on UE it's pretty common depending on the importance of the point, on DF however...

Clydey
11-22-2009, 08:33 PM
on UE it's pretty common depending on the importance of the point, on DF however...

People get on Murray's back for doing it after errors, too. In fact, that's what people usually moan about.

Geo
11-22-2009, 08:33 PM
terrible from Del Potro...Murray was giving him so many 2nd serves and he still couldn't find a way to beat him :retard:

LOL at the cameraman zooming in for the nosebleed treatment :retard: :o

Murray ran well today, that's about it :yawn: :zzz:

scarecrows
11-22-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm watching Fed v Verdasco, but I just thought I would nip on here to say that Gentleman Roger has just loudly yelled "C'mon!" as Verdasco hit the ball into the net. MANY players do this so I don't know why Murray gets such stick for it.

"Come on" on UEs you see it very often
"Come on" on DFs you see it very rarely and it's always coming from pricks

hope this helps

Sofonda Cox
11-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Watching this match made me physically sick, not only the awful hacking but seeing Judy Murray's face on big screen

Geo
11-22-2009, 08:37 PM

it's annoying when anyone does it-but Murray does it more often than the other top players. Ever since mid-2007, he's turned into a Hewitt wannabe :p :tape: :o

Clydey
11-22-2009, 08:43 PM

hope this helps

Ah, so you know the players who do this personally?

MrChopin
11-22-2009, 08:46 PM

We know Murray does it. I haven't heard any other players yet.

Rafa = Fed Killa
11-22-2009, 08:46 PM
How did loser Murray beat the GS champ

fast_clay
11-22-2009, 08:50 PM

hope this helps

hahahah...

fortunatley murray knows he is a prick so it cancels out most arguments... The Tradesman would have also asked that ticket prices for his WTF matches next season be raised...

and rightly so... murray leaves a nice clean finish on most jobs..

Clydey
11-22-2009, 08:51 PM
We know Murray does it. I haven't heard any other players yet.

The way I see it is that a point is a point. If someone DFs at an important moment, you're going to be happy.

Burrow
11-22-2009, 08:52 PM

What?

Jōris
11-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Pushing as a tactic is to unsettle the opponent. When the pusher succeeds, why not let the opponent have it when they lose their focus. That's the whole point of their gameplay.

Rafa = Fed Killa
11-22-2009, 09:21 PM
The way I see it is that a point is a point. If someone DFs at an important moment, you're going to be happy.

Opponents DF is not through your skill.

Forcing an error from the opponent is through your defensive skill.

See the diff.

angry1
11-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Opponents DF is not through your skill.

Forcing an error from the opponent is through your defensive skill.

See the diff.

Massive over-simplification.Dominating on your opponents 2nd serve frequently causes some DF,particularly if some return winners are included.

That's just as much forced as if you're consistently outrallying him and he tries to play more aggressively than he's capable of on the day and starts missing a lot.

A lot of opponent's errors in tennis are caused in part by good play by you,dfs are no exception.You still shouldn't celebrate them any more than you should a shank off a nothing shot.

ChinoRios4Ever
11-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Murray owns Delpo

paseo
11-22-2009, 10:39 PM
At first, I was annoyed at Murray's "come on"s too. But now, I don't really care even if he was doing backflips after his opponent DF's. But, it would be fun if he stares at his opponent, point his finger, and says "You suck!!". I would love that.

I thought Murray played well. Great defense.
Del Potro Played well in 2nd set and part of 1st set. But I think he lacks match fitness.

Entertaining match. Except the 3rd set, of course. If Delpo gets into form, I'm afraid Verdasco will go 0-3 in this group. Even Fed has to be careful.

scoobs
11-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Murray was excellent on defence, as you might expect, though I was puzzled why Delpo focused so much into Murray's backhand wing, where's better in both offense and defence.

I thought he also found some nice aggression at times and served pretty well. He can't seem to help dropping a set to Delpo but at least he's still finding the other two, so I'm happy enough.

Delpo still looks flat though - sometimes attaining a goal too early is disasterous for a player and he still looks like he's wondering what next to drive on towards. He probably just needs a rest after such a crazy rise this season and I expect he'll be mad bad and dangerous come Melbourne.

DrJules
11-22-2009, 11:28 PM
The quality of the Murray return of serve results in the pressure to serve deep and forces double faults.

Arkulari
11-22-2009, 11:46 PM
I think Murray made way too many UEs for a defensive player of his stature :shrug:

scoobs
11-22-2009, 11:47 PM
I think Murray made way too many UEs for a defensive player of his stature :shrug:
Most of those were when he went to attack. I thought his winners/UEs ratio was pretty healthy.

Arkulari
11-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Most of those were when he went to attack. I thought his winners/UEs ratio was pretty healthy.

Yep, and he can't get away with being ultradefensive in these kind of courts and this particular tournament by the level of the players, so his attack needs lots of work

tennizen
11-22-2009, 11:50 PM

He was trying to find the balance between aggression and defense. Nothing to worry about imo. He shouldn't mind committing a few more errors if he is being aggressive.

scoobs
11-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Yep, and he can't get away with being ultradefensive in these kind of courts and this particular tournament by the level of the players, so his attack needs lots of work
His attack needs some work, but ultimately it's not as bad as a lot of people like to make out - they see only the defence and dismiss when he does hit winners. Murray often ends matches with the winners far above the UE count, and players who supposedly have good attacking games are often the reverse. I think sometimes people see only what confirms their own beliefs.

bizzle
11-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Well played, Andy :)

Delpo was on FIRE for about 10 games in the middle of the match, but sadly for him, that was all. Hope he qualifies though (alongside Murray of course).

Good atmosphere and amazing venue too. Should be a perfect location for the WTF for a further 4 years.

Arkulari
11-23-2009, 12:03 AM
His attack needs some work, but ultimately it's not as bad as a lot of people like to make out - they see only the defence and dismiss when he does hit winners. Murray often ends matches with the winners far above the UE count, and players who supposedly have good attacking games are often the reverse. I think sometimes people see only what confirms their own beliefs.

I don't believe he's a pusher 99% of the time, but he does revert to defense when he feels very threatened, he should attack more because he has the weapons to do so, if he doesn't practice that particular side of playing, he can't improve it ;)

scoobs
11-23-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't believe he's a pusher 99% of the time, but he does revert to defense when he feels very threatened, he should attack more because he has the weapons to do so, if he doesn't practice that particular side of playing, he can't improve it ;)
On that much I do agree - his default position is retreat and run and it loses him tight matches against players on the biggest stages. But he continually says he's perfectly happy with how he plays so I'm not expecting him to suddenly arrive in 2010 showcasing his ballbashing credentials.

cocrcici
11-23-2009, 12:34 AM
c'mon:D:devil:

NYCtennisfan
11-23-2009, 01:45 AM

No excuses.

:lol:

Goldenoldie
11-23-2009, 01:10 PM
I definitely detected a few signs of an emerging Plan B from Murray. Not a huge amount of aggression, but I noticed a couple of trips to the net, and a willingness to hit the service return a bit harder on occasion.
He is not going to turn into an attacking player overnight, but I was encouraged by this win, his best for quite a while.