Murray lashes out at critics, comments on match with Federer [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray lashes out at critics, comments on match with Federer

tennizen
11-22-2009, 12:43 AM
In response to criticism

At 20, he had beaten Murray to a Grand Slam title even though the 22-year-old Scot had risen to No 2 in the world.

Yet, even as the bunting fluttered in Argentina, Murray could hear alarm bells that resonated not from a fire engine, but from critics fearing he had surrendered ground that he might never regain.

‘It’s like, “Let’s start panicking”,’ said Murray. ‘Everyone was saying Del Potro has won a Grand Slam so early in his career. Yet, the truth is he’s barely 18 months younger than me, but everyone is saying I’m old.’

Murray shook his head in bewilderment, a man not yet in his prime, let alone one of pensionable age, as some claim. ‘I’ve always believed I’ll peak at 23 or 24,’ he said. ‘The next three or four years, beginning in 2010, is when I feel I’m going to play my best.’

When he was told that pundits on Sky TV, including Greg Rusedski and Peter Fleming, feared he would never win a Grand Slam unless he became more aggressive on court, Murray allowed himself a wry smile.

‘They are entitled to their opinion,’ he said. ‘But I think I know more about tennis than Greg or Peter. I work really hard with my coaches to come up with the right game plan for a specific match. I’m told a lot of times that, tactically, I’m very astute; I don’t think you can get to No 2 in the world at tennis, or anything, if you are one-dimensional.

‘If I played ultra-aggressive this week and lost all three matches in my section for the round-robin draw, everyone would ask, “What were you doing?” You can’t win in that situation. I just play my own game, and enjoy the way I play. I’m different to most of the
players — and I like that.

‘It hasn’t happened yet, but I think I’ll win one Grand Slam, maybe more than one. I’m working as hard as I can and, if I don’t win one, it won’t be through the lack of trying, it will be because I’m not good enough. This has been my best year, when I’ve won six titles, and played well at the first three Grand Slams, in Australia, Paris and Wimbledon. All I can do is give myself the best shot at winning one of them next year.’

On match with Federer

I enjoy playing indoors, and I think everyone is hoping the atmosphere will be rocking,’ said Murray. To win the event, which offers £1million if the winner is unbeaten through his three round-robin matches, Murray could have to play Federer twice.

‘It’s always special playing against Roger as, maybe, he is the best player of all time,’
said Murray, who has won six of their nine matches.

‘I understand to win against him I have to play my way, my game very, very well. It’s worked against him.’ Federer, for all his modesty, and charm, which identifies him as a great sportsman, as well as a phenomenal champion, with a record 15 Grand
Slam titles, stoked their rivalry this week by indicating that his matches with Murray were won, or lost, on his terms as he was the only one playing in aggressive
mode

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-1229892/Andy-Murray-Ill-play-way-clinch-Grand-Slam-win.html

SetSampras
11-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Well.. If truly believes he still has yet to "peak" HE better get off his ass and start bringing it to the slams instead of being the king of 3 setters.. Or he is going to go down in the anals of history as the next marcelo Rios. Maybe worse since Rios seems to have been more talented than Murray.

Im sorry I just dont see the future of "Andy Murray- The next multi slam champion". I dont see talent and weapons exuberating from him. I see a solid player with not many weapons. Usually someone with Murray's style of game (defensive style pusher) can grab a slam or two. But multiple slams? NO I can see Murray being a consistent top player much like Roddick. But I just cant see Murray as an all time great.

Sorry Andy.. But there is some merit to what some of the critics are saying about you.. Its up to you to prove us wrong. Not by words and running your mouth but by action

RafitoGoat
11-22-2009, 01:05 AM
It's hard to say Murray is underachieving, this is his best year on tour :yeah: so how could he be underachieving?

Clydey
11-22-2009, 02:07 AM
I thought he said that about Barry Cowan and not Peter Fleming? I read the same article, but it was Cowan he mentioned. I'm not sure he'd disrespect someone like Peter Fleming in that fashion.

RafitoGoat
11-22-2009, 02:23 AM
It is true though, there are not many people who can claim to know more about tennis than a player who was ranked number2, Murray can say that :yeah:

Start da Game
11-22-2009, 05:42 AM
the best way to deal with hype and pressure is to stay calm and just let the racket do the talking........there's something with the brits, they expect too much sometimes.......they pressurized and killed henman every year at wimbledon........despite all that, henman did a great job reaching 4 semis at wimbledon........

Buhweet
11-22-2009, 09:18 AM
I thought he said that about Barry Cowan and not Peter Fleming? I read the same article, but it was Cowan he mentioned. I'm not sure he'd disrespect someone like Peter Fleming in that fashion.
Talk about me not having something better to do.....and you post the brain dead piece above at 3 in the morning!!! You were right last night, I did have something better to do and went do it.
I do waste a liitle time watching what people say about Andy. But it's not a major thing with me. I find it amusing, the outrageous things people say reguarding Andy's (as yet unproven outside of the UK)stature in tennis. You are one of my favorites......predictable, but amusing.

Clydey
11-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Talk about me not having something better to do.....and you post the brain dead piece above at 3 in the morning!!! You were right last night, I did have something better to do and went do it.
I do waste a liitle time watching what people say about Andy. But it's not a major thing with me. I find it amusing, the outrageous things people say reguarding Andy's (as yet unproven outside of the UK)stature in tennis. You are one of my favorites......predictable, but amusing.

So because you're tucked up in bed at 3am, I shouldn't be awake? :lol:

Certinfy
11-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Murray :worship: :yeah:

Buhweet
11-22-2009, 09:17 PM
So because you're tucked up in bed at 3am, I shouldn't be awake? :lol:
I didn't say that. But staying on the tennis blogs all night?....Dude?

Clydey
11-22-2009, 10:02 PM
I didn't say that. But staying on the tennis blogs all night?....Dude?

I was watching UFC. It was on until 6am, since you're so interested in my nocturnal activities.

Nole fan
11-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Murray is right on everything he's said, I'm sure he still has to reach his peak. But can he deal with the pressure? :yeah:

SetSampras
11-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Murray is right on everything he's said, I'm sure he still has to reach his peak. But can he deal with the pressure? :yeah:

Nope he cant and he wont.. Unless devlops a totally different game plan instead of waiting for his opponent to hit errors

Burrow
11-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Clydey does night shift at Tesco, seen him stacking the shelves with Highland Spring the other night, he posts while on his Blackberry. (1 months wages)

Corey Feldman
11-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Muzza giving it to Rusedski

yellowboy906
11-23-2009, 01:16 AM
Muzza giving it to Rusedski

did nadal really said that he cried like an animal when he lost 07 wimby? it's funny he compared himself to an animal.

orangehat
11-23-2009, 01:30 AM
The more he talks the more he won't win :worship:

Corey Feldman
11-23-2009, 02:13 AM
did nadal really said that he cried like an animal when he lost 07 wimby? it's funny he compared himself to an animal.yep

buddyholly
11-23-2009, 02:37 AM
HE better get off his ass and start bringing it to the slams instead of being the king of 3 setters.. Or he is going to go down in the anals of history as the next marcelo Rios.

Freud would have no trouble knowing your thoughts on Murray.

Castafiore
11-23-2009, 06:45 AM
did nadal really said that he cried like an animal when he lost 07 wimby? it's funny he compared himself to an animal.
Did Rafael Nadal say this?
Nope, he didn't. That's just Corey Feldman putting the words of somebody else into Rafa's mouth. Bless him. :hug:

MariaV
11-23-2009, 06:46 AM
yep

:rolleyes:
You want a badrep, don't you? :D :angel:

Jōris
11-23-2009, 07:56 AM
:rolleyes:
You want a badrep, don't you? :D :angel:

To be fair it wasn't so much crying, he was squealing like the guy in that movie Deliverance.

MariaV
11-23-2009, 08:12 AM
To be fair it wasn't so much crying, he was squealing like the guy in that movie Deliverance.

Oh, so you want some too? Badrep I mean. :D :kiss:

Garson007
11-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Oh, so you want some too? Badrep I mean. :D :kiss:
Are they like cookies? Because then I want one too. :D

Sophocles
11-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Do animals actually cry?

Vida
11-23-2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.murraysworld.com/news/article/14956/

Andy Murray has hit back at Greg Rusedski and other Sky pundits for suggesting that he should play more aggressively against the top players.

Yeah, who are these 'experts'? Barry Cowan? Greg Rusedski? I think I know more about tennis than Barry and Greg. I work very hard with my coaching team to come out with the right game-plan. I've been told a lot of times that I'm very astute.

You don't get to be No 2 in the world at anything if you're one-dimensional. If I go out at the O2 Arena playing ultra-aggressive and lose all three of my matches, people would say, 'What are you doing?

Regardless of what people think, if I don't win a major tournament in my career I will still have enjoyed the way I played. I think it's different to what most other players are doing.

Murray will take on Roger Federer at the O2 Arena on Tuesday, following Monday's group B matches.

this is a very cool attitude from andy. it might not work in his favor, holding to his c/p style that will inevitably take its toll on the long run, but this reaction definitely deserves respect.

timafi
11-23-2009, 03:45 PM
I hope and pray that he doesn't win a single damn slam next year:angel: