Is Murray losing Confidence Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Murray losing Confidence Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon???

Noleta
11-21-2009, 06:24 AM
LONDON (Reuters) - Andy Murray was left in the shade by Juan Martin del Potro this year as the gangly Argentine made his grand slam breakthrough although the Briton is confident his time will arrive soon.

Del Potro, at 21 a year younger than Murray, stunned Rafael Nadal and then Roger Federer to win the U.S. Open in September meaning Murray is now the odd one out -- the only member of the world's top five without a major title on his CV.

He gets a chance to prove his credentials in London over the next week when he competes for the one million pounds jackpot at the ATP World Tour Finals and believes winning the tournament is the next best thing to a grand slam.

"This tournament is just behind the grand slams because you have to win five matches, or four matches, against the top players in the world," Murray, who starts his round-robin matches against Del Potro on Sunday, told reporters.

"You might even have to beat the number one or number two in the world twice to win the event so it's not quite the same as a grand slam but it's a huge, huge tournament."

SLAM CHANCES

Murray has grown tired of fielding questions about his failure to win a grand slam this season.

He pointed out he equalled his best run at the Australian Open and went further than ever before at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, reaching the quarter-finals and semis respectively.

"Everyone views it a little bit differently but I still believe that I have a few chances, maybe one or two more chances, to win a grand slam," said Murray who claimed his sixth title of the year in Valencia earlier this month.

"The year has been a successful one. For some people grand slams are the be-all and end-all. I want to win one, I'm trying my best to win one and I'll work as hard as I can.

"My consistency this year has been superb. Physically, I've felt like I've been a lot better this year. I've got a better record against all the top players this year, so it has been my best year on tour without question."

Del Potro said he was looking forward to facing Murray in the opening action in London but admitted he was surprised the Scot had yet to win one of the game's big prizes.

"I am surprised, yeah, a little bit. I'm sure that it was one of his goals for this year," said Del Potro. "For me I was thinking more next year or 2011 so for me it came early.

"But Murray is a great player and he will have 20,000 people cheering for him on Sunday so it's going to be tough."

Does he really think that,surely he have more than 1 or 2 chances to win GS.Think he only saying it just so he can avoid the hype:)

:lol::rolls:DelPo kind of rubbing it in:lol:

Kolya
11-21-2009, 09:20 AM
He has the game for sure to win a GS, now he just needs to reevaluate his mentality and preparation going into a GS.

Goldenoldie
11-21-2009, 09:23 AM
If Murray thinks this is his best year on the tour, he is obviously not going to modify his style of play anytime soon.
This is so frustrating!
Come on Andy, Plan A hasn't worked, and most people think it never will. You are plenty good enough to at least try plan B

RafitoGoat
11-21-2009, 09:40 AM
LONDON (Reuters) - Andy Murray was left in the shade by Juan Martin del Potro this year as the gangly Argentine made his grand slam breakthrough although the Briton is confident his time will arrive soon.

Del Potro, at 21 a year younger than Murray, stunned Rafael Nadal and then Roger Federer to win the U.S. Open in September meaning Murray is now the odd one out -- the only member of the world's top five without a major title on his CV.

He gets a chance to prove his credentials in London over the next week when he competes for the one million pounds jackpot at the ATP World Tour Finals and believes winning the tournament is the next best thing to a grand slam.

"This tournament is just behind the grand slams because you have to win five matches, or four matches, against the top players in the world," Murray, who starts his round-robin matches against Del Potro on Sunday, told reporters.

"You might even have to beat the number one or number two in the world twice to win the event so it's not quite the same as a grand slam but it's a huge, huge tournament."

SLAM CHANCES

Murray has grown tired of fielding questions about his failure to win a grand slam this season.

He pointed out he equalled his best run at the Australian Open and went further than ever before at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, reaching the quarter-finals and semis respectively.

"Everyone views it a little bit differently but I still believe that I have a few chances, maybe one or two more chances, to win a grand slam," said Murray who claimed his sixth title of the year in Valencia earlier this month.

"The year has been a successful one. For some people grand slams are the be-all and end-all. I want to win one, I'm trying my best to win one and I'll work as hard as I can.

"My consistency this year has been superb. Physically, I've felt like I've been a lot better this year. I've got a better record against all the top players this year, so it has been my best year on tour without question."

Del Potro said he was looking forward to facing Murray in the opening action in London but admitted he was surprised the Scot had yet to win one of the game's big prizes.

"I am surprised, yeah, a little bit. I'm sure that it was one of his goals for this year," said Del Potro. "For me I was thinking more next year or 2011 so for me it came early.

"But Murray is a great player and he will have 20,000 people cheering for him on Sunday so it's going to be tough."

Does he really think that,surely he have more than 1 or 2 chances to win GS.Think he only saying it just so he can avoid the hype:)

HAHAHHAHAHAHA Del Potro was thinking 2010 or 2011 would be his first slam win :haha: so for him it came early :lol:

tennishero
11-21-2009, 11:17 AM
HAHAHHAHAHAHA Del Potro was thinking 2010 or 2011 would be his first slam win :haha: so for him it came early :lol:

well done u can read.

n8
11-21-2009, 11:19 AM

SLAM CHANCES

The title of this thread kind of contradicts its content. Murray doesn't exactly sound confident to me. Also, I'm not sure I would call this year that much better than last year for Murray. Same amount of Masters Series but a Grand Slam final instead of a semi. Although, this year isn't over yet.

Cloudygirl
11-21-2009, 11:32 AM
he doesn't sound that confident at all to me. Quite worrying actually. I still believe (that if he doesn't play passive shite tennis) he can win a slam.

MurrayFan1
11-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Yeah he needs to play waaaaaay more agessively. I think the month or so after London will do him the world of good.

Goldenoldie
11-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah he needs to play waaaaaay more agessively. I think the month or so after London will do him the world of good.

Didn't we say that last year???

Corey Feldman
11-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Murray is still more popular oversea's than Nole and Del Potro IMO

Garson007
11-21-2009, 12:20 PM
This is relevant how exactly?

Andi-M
11-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Murray sounds distinctly unconfident if you ask me you might want to change thread title.

Corey Feldman
11-21-2009, 12:24 PM
This is relevant how exactly?because you are a muppet, thats how

Getta
11-21-2009, 12:44 PM
This is relevant how exactly?

fairly easy to decipher.

Murray's ability to keep people hopeful about the future allows him to maintain popularity even in the face of "mediocre" results.

RafitoGoat
11-21-2009, 12:57 PM
fairly easy to decipher.

Murray's ability to keep people hopeful about the future allows him to maintain popularity even in the face of "mediocre" results.

2009 is Murray's best year at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, so it can't be called mediocre, plus the Masters events results, basically his best year on tour :yeah:

decrepitude
11-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Murray sounds distinctly unconfident if you ask me you might want to change thread title.

Like tabloid headlines, MTF thread titles are designed to provoke the most outrage, never mind what the reality of the situation is.

No, he does not say he is confident. He says he has chances.

Garson007
11-21-2009, 03:01 PM
because you are a muppet, thats how
An insult, nice. His popularity has absolutely no relevance to his chances, or his thoughts on his chances, in becoming a grand slam champion.

MrChopin
11-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Another player taking the Nadal route and underestimating themselves. Only Mr. Arrogance himself has thus far avoided that road.

TennisLurker
11-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Murray depends a lot on his retrieving abilities. He still has three or four good years before losing half a step and drpping out of the top ten like Chang in 1998 and Hewitt after 2005.

He will never win the french open but he could win the other three.

Start da Game
11-21-2009, 04:21 PM
he will have to bank on wimbledon and us open, prepare well and try to force himself more in those two slams.......australian open and french open are just not his things........

Noleta
11-21-2009, 08:22 PM
I honestly think it's just a tactic to fly under the radar next year:shrug:

Noleta
11-21-2009, 08:25 PM

Exactly.Everyone knows how important is the crowd support for Murray outside the UK.

laurie-1
11-21-2009, 08:51 PM
he will have to bank on wimbledon and us open, prepare well and try to force himself more in those two slams.......australian open and french open are just not his things........

The Australian Open is on a medium paced hard court now so Andy should have as good a chance on there as any of the other top players.

Tomorrow should be an interesting match against Juan Martin. With the crowd behind Andy, he should be able to win that one.

Vida
11-21-2009, 10:36 PM
if he doesnt win a slam next year, the hype will backfire at him.