10th anniversary of Lapentti's career-high ranking (#6) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

10th anniversary of Lapentti's career-high ranking (#6)

networthy
11-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Nicolas Lapentti first reached his career-high ranking of #6 ten years ago this Saturday, on November 22, 2009.

I'm thrilled that he's still playing (and back in the top 100!) but it's sad that he'll never again know those highs :sad:

n8
11-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Wow! Lapentti certainly is a celebrated player in these forums. 1999 was a pretty huge year for the Ecuadorian, won Lyon and Indianapolis plus semi-finals at the Australian Open. I remember he got a real group of death in the Masters' Cup though: Agassi, Sampras and Kuerten (didn't win a set). Lapentti, like Schuettler in 2003, was really a one-year wonder. I'm so glad he's still in the top 100 :).

networthy
11-21-2009, 12:32 AM
Wow! Lapentti certainly is a celebrated player in these forums. 1999 was a pretty huge year for the Ecuadorian, won Lyon and Indianapolis plus semi-finals at the Australian Open. I remember he got a real group of death in the Masters' Cup though: Agassi, Sampras and Kuerten (didn't win a set). Lapentti, like Schuettler in 2003, was really a one-year wonder. I'm so glad he's still in the top 100 :).

Oh, I would be a little more charitable toward Lapentti than that. Here are some of his career highlights from other years:

1995: Won the very first ATP tournament he played (Bogota)--as a qualifier, no less.
1997: Won two ATP doubles titles (Amsterdam and Mexico City).
2000: Reached QF or better in 12 tournaments (incl. on clay, hard and grass) for the second straight year.
2002: Won three 5-set matches (saved four MPs in R1) to reach Wimby QF, where he lost to Nalbandian 64 in the fifth.

mr_burns
11-21-2009, 03:07 AM
Schuettler had some good results in other years as well..But both had only one stellar year. Pretty similar I think
With a little ad for Schuettler because of the final

Kolya
11-21-2009, 10:18 PM
10 years... wow!

Nastasie
11-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I read an old article the other day that suggested he could have done better if he didn't have such a taste for "partying". I'm suspicious of that kind of reporting (seems like too easy an explanation), but he does have, erm, a reputation, so to speak. In his defense, he did have many injuries and a bad case of hepatitis a few years back, so...:shrug:

Not that I care, really, he's my favourite active player by a mile (I've even developed a taste for Challengers because of him :p). I just hope he can carry his form from the last couple of months into next year.

And for a random tidbit: I'd pay big money for a picture of him and Guga when they won the Boys' Doubles at RG in 94. I doubt it exists, though.:awww:

ETA: Awesome longevity, anyway.:worship: