anyone going? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

anyone going?

Wojtek
11-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Anyone will go next year?

I will be for the first time at Grand Slam.

novanora
11-20-2009, 05:57 AM
I probably will go next year, not 100% confirmed, but highly probably, plan to watch the early rounds.

Wojtek
11-21-2009, 06:12 AM
I probably will go next year, not 100% confirmed, but highly probably, plan to watch the early rounds.
Me too. Probably i will stay for the whole first week.

novanora
11-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Me too. Probably i will stay for the whole first week.So far i plan to stay in London for three weeks, including watching the Queen's and the Wimbledon (the 1st week as you). I don't have the Wimbledon tickets, so i will queue for the GP :p

Wojtek
11-26-2009, 05:50 AM
So far i plan to stay in London for three weeks, including watching the Queen's and the Wimbledon (the 1st week as you). I don't have the Wimbledon tickets, so i will queue for the GP :p

me too i will queue for Grand Pass

savesthedizzle
12-10-2009, 10:46 PM
I will probably be going for the third time next year :D I hope to actually extend my trip a bit and maybe go to two days of quallies (Wed + Thurs) and then maybe Monday - Thursday of main draw :)

If anyone has queueing questions or anything, I can try to answer :) :wavey:

Wojtek
12-14-2009, 11:07 AM
I will probably be going for the third time next year :D I hope to actually extend my trip a bit and maybe go to two days of quallies (Wed + Thurs) and then maybe Monday - Thursday of main draw :)

If anyone has queueing questions or anything, I can try to answer :) :wavey:

Any tips about cheap hotels :o

novanora
12-15-2009, 12:42 AM

If anyone has queueing questions or anything, I can try to answer :) :wavey:Hi Troickitard :wavey: it's good to get the advice from someone who has the Wimbledon experience. I will prepare the tent and sleeping bag anyway, but if i just want to get the GP for the early rounds, can i queue early in the morning? say around 7:00AM - 7:30AM? how many hours do i need to queue to get a GP? What about the other show courts (even center court)? If I queue over night, can i have the chance to get a ticket for the center court? Thanks in advance :p

CooCooCachoo
12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Hope to be going for the fifth time :hearts:

CooCooCachoo
12-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi Troickitard :wavey: it's good to get the advice from someone who has the Wimbledon experience. I will prepare the tent and sleeping bag anyway, but if i just want to get the GP for the early rounds, can i queue early in the morning? say around 7:00AM - 7:30AM? how many hours do i need to queue to get a GP? What about the other show courts (even center court)? If I queue over night, can i have the chance to get a ticket for the center court? Thanks in advance :p

Yes, that should be fine :yeah: No need to come earlier. You'll queue for about three hours, but you're moving and at one point you'll be inside the grounds but still waiting.

If you want show court tickets you will need to queue overnight.

savesthedizzle
12-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Any tips about cheap hotels :o

Not really... my hotels are usually the one thing I spend more on :hug: I'm not a big fan of hostels and such. :sad:

Hi Troickitard :wavey: it's good to get the advice from someone who has the Wimbledon experience. I will prepare the tent and sleeping bag anyway, but if i just want to get the GP for the early rounds, can i queue early in the morning? say around 7:00AM - 7:30AM? how many hours do i need to queue to get a GP? What about the other show courts (even center court)? If I queue over night, can i have the chance to get a ticket for the center court? Thanks in advance :p

Yes, that would be fine for a grounds pass. You will need to queue over night for any show court, including centre :) We got center court two years ago for Tuesday when we entered the queue around 7:30-8 pm, Monday night. Although if you plan on queuing to try to get centre court for the first Monday you should get there much earlier than that on the Sunday as for the first day people start queuing much earlier. Last year we started around 5 pm and we were nowhere near getting centre... I forget what we were able to get.. I think we even missed court 1. So if that's when you plan to try to get centre, I'd probably get there by noon on Sunday at the latest. :unsure:

But also it depends on the draw, because I'm pretty sure Murray was playing on Monday last year.. so always think about that also :)

Hope to be going for the fifth time :hearts:

:rocker: :rocker:

Yes, that should be fine :yeah: No need to come earlier. You'll queue for about three hours, but you're moving and at one point you'll be inside the grounds but still waiting.

If you want show court tickets you will need to queue overnight.

Yup, what he said.

novanora
12-17-2009, 04:12 AM
Thank you both :wavey:. Three hours looks fine for me, much less than I originally thought. That means I can get into the courts around 10:30A.M., then before the matches begin, I can catch some training sessions.

I don’t specially plan to look for the center court ticket on a fixed day. If Monday is too difficult to get one, then I am fine to change it to Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, any of them! I just want to get the experience of sitting and watching the matches in the center court or some other show courts of Wimbledon, doesn’t matter to watch whose matches. Think I still will spend most of my time on the outside small courts even if having the luck to get one center court ticket.

Anyway, that will be fun to camp all night long for the queue if any chance. I never quequed over night for sth before, looks cool~:bounce:

savesthedizzle
12-21-2009, 03:20 AM
It is fun :yeah: I like doing it :) And if you don't have a specific player you want to see, then it will be fine. What we did 2 years ago is when we left the grounds from the day before's tennis... like 7 pm or so, we just got right into the queue :) So, it's a lot of fun :)

Watching the outside courts at Wimbledon are not as much fun for me as it is at other tournaments, they give away too many grounds passes (in my opinion) and the outside courts are very crowded, and there is not adequate seating at many of them. But you'll still have a great time :D

CooCooCachoo
12-21-2009, 07:43 AM
It is fun :yeah: I like doing it :) And if you don't have a specific player you want to see, then it will be fine. What we did 2 years ago is when we left the grounds from the day before's tennis... like 7 pm or so, we just got right into the queue :) So, it's a lot of fun :)

Watching the outside courts at Wimbledon are not as much fun for me as it is at other tournaments, they give away too many grounds passes (in my opinion) and the outside courts are very crowded, and there is not adequate seating at many of them. But you'll still have a great time :D

I do understand what you are saying, and Wimbledon is very crowded and this can get very frustrated if you have noobs claiming seats and spots at matches that you really want to see or causing congestion, but I somewhat prefer it over Roland Garros. At least at Wimbledon there is almost always a way to see the match of your favourites, even if you arrive late because you were watching another match you are interested in. The downside is that you often have to watch standing. At RG, the courts are often so packed that you need to queue a long time to get into the courts, and you'd better arrive very early, preferably during the previous match, just to clinch a seat. Not only does this mean that the crowd is often not really into the match you are watching - they just want it to get over with so they can see their match of choice - but it also means that you yourself are forced to watch something that you'd not pay money for to see. I also think the crowd at RG is generally a lot ruder.

So I have to jump to Wimbledon's defense :p

Oh and yeah, the overnight queuing was so much fun this year, but I actually dozed off the following day :lol:

*Ljubica*
12-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Sorry Martijn - have to agree with Jess on this one. There are way too many tickets for outside courts at Wimbledon in my opinion, resulting in huge crowds blocking the alleys between courts, and loads of pushing and jostling for the right to stand around a small court with only enough seats for a couple of hundred people :rolleyes: I do agree about the need to get on courts early at RG, but then I've had to do that to ensure a seat for an outside court at Wimbledon too :shrug: And, I know I'm in a minority here, but even though I live locally, I think Wimby is vastly overrated and RG is way better in every respect. Just my opinion anyway.

Certinfy
12-21-2009, 10:34 AM
I'll go next year :) Or at least I'll try to :o

CooCooCachoo
12-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Sorry Martijn - have to agree with Jess on this one. There are way too many tickets for outside courts at Wimbledon in my opinion, resulting in huge crowds blocking the alleys between courts, and loads of pushing and jostling for the right to stand around a small court with only enough seats for a couple of hundred people :rolleyes: I do agree about the need to get on courts early at RG, but then I've had to do that to ensure a seat for an outside court at Wimbledon too :shrug: And, I know I'm in a minority here, but even though I live locally, I think Wimby is vastly overrated and RG is way better in every respect. Just my opinion anyway.

For a seat, yes. Wimbledon has way too few seats, and unfortunately half of them seem to be reserved as well. However, if you want to watch the match standing up, Wimbledon is way better, especially for moving around. Court 4 and then some big ones on the other side of the venue are impossible to get access to, but all the others are more or less easily reachable. That having been said, I will recognize that Wimbledon, in this sense, discriminates against people that are physically unable to stand for a long time.

ImmzB
12-21-2009, 09:44 PM
I should be there.

savesthedizzle
12-22-2009, 03:59 AM
I do understand what you are saying, and Wimbledon is very crowded and this can get very frustrated if you have noobs claiming seats and spots at matches that you really want to see or causing congestion, but I somewhat prefer it over Roland Garros. At least at Wimbledon there is almost always a way to see the match of your favourites, even if you arrive late because you were watching another match you are interested in. The downside is that you often have to watch standing. At RG, the courts are often so packed that you need to queue a long time to get into the courts, and you'd better arrive very early, preferably during the previous match, just to clinch a seat. Not only does this mean that the crowd is often not really into the match you are watching - they just want it to get over with so they can see their match of choice - but it also means that you yourself are forced to watch something that you'd not pay money for to see. I also think the crowd at RG is generally a lot ruder.

Oh and yeah, the overnight queuing was so much fun this year, but I actually dozed off the following day :lol:

I dozed off too, I think we dozed off together at whatever that court is where you can lie on the grass :hearts: perfect for napping at some random match.

The USO has perfect outside court seating. Lots of seats at EVERY court, it's very easy to hop around between courts and still get a seat. You almost feel at Wimbledon that you have to watch every match from start to finish unless you want to stand. Which is why I ended up watching mostly WTA at Wimbledon because I couldn't commit myself to a 5 set match when there were other people to see. :rolls:

So if I'm going to defend a Slam for hopping around outside courts :inlove: not to mention that you can get into Armstrong with a grounds pass and get good seats there... USO wins :) RG I can't speak too much on because I was only ever there just one day, but I think all the Slams have different perks... but for Wimbledon, outside court seating isn't one of them IMO.

And Tijn it is not a problem to watch standing if you are TALL. Think of me here :( I can see nothing if people are standing :rolls:

novanora
12-23-2009, 12:13 PM

Watching the outside courts at Wimbledon are not as much fun for me as it is at other tournaments, they give away too many grounds passes (in my opinion) and the outside courts are very crowded, and there is not adequate seating at many of them. But you'll still have a great time :D:hearts: Jealous!! I will grab someone to camp with me. RG for me is already very crowded, i just hope Wimbledon is not even more. Big number of people can also bring great atmosphere, but i've been stuck in the crowd for several times in RG when some big show court matches were over and a lot people got out, not even moving a step sometimes, which was not an interesting memory.:p

novanora
12-23-2009, 12:16 PM

Oh and yeah, the overnight queuing was so much fun this year, but I actually dozed off the following day :lol::p I have no problem to watch standing. I watched Grosjean vs Volandri match in Aussie Open for over 3 hours guess from the beginning to the end, totally standing under a very burning sun, and still enjoyed it. The problem of RG is even you choose to stand, because of the structure of some courts, maybe you still can not see anything or just a corner of the court, and a lot of courts are too congested even in the roads connecting court to court. And a match on clay means a lot more long rallies, so you could have to wait for long time if you leave the court and want to be back again. However, i still love RG, but maybe will prefer Wimbly more after I visit there :p.

Osomec
01-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Sorry Martijn - have to agree with Jess on this one. There are way too many tickets for outside courts at Wimbledon in my opinion, resulting in huge crowds blocking the alleys between courts, and loads of pushing and jostling for the right to stand around a small court with only enough seats for a couple of hundred people :rolleyes:

Aren't the outside courts in the southern half of the grounds being reconfigured with wider walkways this year? I think I heard that this was the plan when the new No.2 court was built, and it makes sense that this would be the year it would be implemented as they are replacing the old No.2 court with a slightly smaller one, which should make some space available. There is no getting away from the fact that it would be better if the site was larger, but I think the club has done as much to improve the facilities as the space will allow.

It's an annoying fact about many celebrated sporting facilities in the UK that when they were created so many years ago no-one had any idea how much space it would be desirable to have in the 21st century. Other examples are Lord's, the world's most historic cricket ground, which will only have about 37,000 seats even when the site has been redeveloped at a cost of £400 million, most of the other test match cricket grounds, and many of the football grounds, eg Old Trafford, where the one side that has not been expanded backs onto a railway line. In an ideal world all these historic facilities would be retained, but so many of them just can't be expanded as much as one would like.

aphrodita
01-18-2010, 11:22 AM
My first post :angel:

I'm a huge fan of tennis and always watching it on Eurosport, but I would really like to watch it with people who also care about it and just feel.. ehm... ja... team spirit, you can call it. So I would like to visit Wimbledon this year.

First of all, I don't have 600pounds to give out for a ticket... so I remembered that I saw a lot of people sitting on the grass and watching tennis outside of stadion on big screens, so I searched for some info and I understood that this places are specially made for people like me and you need to get special pass that cost arounf 30-60pounds (correct me, please, if i'm wrong). And as I undestand I can get it in the morning (very early morning) the same day I want to get this pass.

So actually, what I need is to find some hotel near Wimbledon stadion and be early before tickets sale will start. Am I on right track in here?

THank you very much for your time :worship:

*Ljubica*
01-18-2010, 03:10 PM

I'm a huge fan of tennis and always watching it on Eurosport, but I would really like to watch it with people who also care about it and just feel.. ehm... ja... team spirit, you can call it. So I would like to visit Wimbledon this year.

First of all, I don't have 600pounds to give out for a ticket... so I remembered that I saw a lot of people sitting on the grass and watching tennis outside of stadion on big screens, so I searched for some info and I understood that this places are specially made for people like me and you need to get special pass that cost arounf 30-60pounds (correct me, please, if i'm wrong). And as I undestand I can get it in the morning (very early morning) the same day I want to get this pass.

So actually, what I need is to find some hotel near Wimbledon stadion and be early before tickets sale will start. Am I on right track in here?

Hello aphrodita, and welcome to MTF :wavey: Yes you can buy Grounds Tickets on the day at Wimbledon, and they will give you access to the grassy area you speak of. They call it Henman Hill, and it is a big picnic area with screens, where you can watch the main court action. These Grounds Passes also allow you into all the outside courts, so you can watch live tennis too. They cost around £25.00-£30.00 for the day I think, and if you get there by about 7.00am you will get in before play starts.

Wimbledon also sell a small number of Show Court tickets at the Box Office every day too (around 500 for each court I think), but if you wanted those, you would have to be prepared to queue overnight to buy them.

About Hotels - well Wimbledon is a very expensive area and not many Hotels nearby, but there are a couple of tube stations near to the Stadium, so you would probably be better off staying somewhere a little farther away, but on that Tube line - maybe Earls Court, Putney or Fulham? Try looking at a London Tourist Board website for Hotels - WImbledon is on the District Underground Line (coloured green on the maps). Hope that helps a bit.

aphrodita
01-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Wimbledon also sell a small number of Show Court tickets at the Box Office every day too (around 500 for each court I think), but if you wanted those, you would have to be prepared to queue overnight to buy them.

First of all thank you very much for taking time to explain everything to nooby :)
Well, 500pounds is a bit out of my budget and overnight for the first time to get this tickets seems a bit extreme for the first time :)

About Hotels - well Wimbledon is a very expensive area and not many Hotels nearby, but there are a couple of tube stations near to the Stadium, so you would probably be better off staying somewhere a little farther away, but on that Tube line - maybe Earls Court, Putney or Fulham? Try looking at a London Tourist Board website for Hotels - WImbledon is on the District Underground Line (coloured green on the maps). Hope that helps a bit.
I will look this weekend what I can find in advised area :) I was already thinking that hotels around or too close to Wimbledon can cost a lot, so will search for cheaper version. Anyway, it's about tennis - not about hotels :) Anyway, thank you :worship:

*Ljubica*
01-19-2010, 03:14 PM
First of all thank you very much for taking time to explain everything to nooby :)
Well, 500pounds is a bit out of my budget and overnight for the first time to get this tickets seems a bit extreme for the first time :)

I will look this weekend what I can find in advised area :) I was already thinking that hotels around or too close to Wimbledon can cost a lot, so will search for cheaper version. Anyway, it's about tennis - not about hotels :) Anyway, thank you :worship:

You're welcome :hug: Btw - the tickets you buy for Show Courts on the day are not £500.00. They are just normal price, which is around £40.00-£50.00 for Centre Court I think. I meant that they sell 500 tickets for each court per day to the people who queue. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Welcome to MTF :bigwave:

It sounds to me like you are on a budget, and that is the way I have always done Wimbledon (and I think it might also be the nicest way to do it ;)). So my advice to you would be:

Don't go for a hotel, but for a hostel. You will be watching tennis all day long and will have to start queuing very early on, so there is pretty much nothing you need aside from a bed and a shower. You can save yourself a lot of money if you take a bed in a dorm. I can recommend a hostel near Gloucester Road and Earl's Court (Earl's Court has great restaurants in the area and the tube station is on the line to Southfields where you will need to get off for Wimbledon).
Don't look for a place to stay near Wimbledon. It is one of the most expensive areas of London and chances are you will still need to use the public transport. So you might as well stay in the city centre, where there are cheaper places to get your food and from where it will be a lot easier to do some sightseeing (and London is worth it ;)). Yes, you might need to travel for 40 minutes or something, but that is not really a big deal.
Depending on how big a tennis fanatic you are, you might be interested in attending the qualifying tournament. It is held in an absolutely beautiful place (Roehampton) and is free of charge. It is what I enjoy most about Wimbledon, but I do admit that I have a weird knack of supporting quite a few players that don't have a direct entry into the main draw. In any case, the atmosphere there is amazing there.
If you travel from The Netherlands, I strongly recommend to take the Eurostar. If you book in advance you will pay 70 euros return (admittedly from Brussels). You will be in the centre of London within 2.5 hours and it is a very comfortable train ride as well. It beats the low-budget airlines and the Eurolines bus (I have tried all three). :party: Wimbledon is amazing, so have fun!

Jimnik
02-22-2010, 11:07 PM
This will be my 9th successive year in attendance.

Never applied for the ballot before. I prefer to pick the days I queue for show courts, depending on daily OOPs.

Jimnik
02-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Looks like the trend is more and more reserved seating, and reduced access for ground passes.

I guess it's inevitable when demand for tickets is so high. :shrug:

savesthedizzle
03-11-2010, 03:15 PM
They will have a new Court 3 BUILT this year

It is being made over the space where Cts 2 and 6 used to be (No sitting on grass by 6 any mor:made:mad:)

BUT

It won't be ready to use until 2011:eek: !!!!

So Ground passes are going to really struggle for space:confused: !!!!

Oh man, that is awful. Firstly, because after a night of not really sleeping in the queue, it was always nice to lay down on the grass over there and take a little nap :angel:

Secondly because ground passes already struggled for space :rolls: I think me and Wimbledon are over :sad: If I ever go again I think I will just do quallies and that is IT.

Taz Warrior
04-18-2010, 08:32 AM
They will have a new Court 3 BUILT this year

It is being made over the space where Cts 2 and 6 used to be (No sitting on grass by 6 any mor:made:mad:)

BUT

It won't be ready to use until 2011:eek: !!!!

So Ground passes are going to really struggle for space:confused: !!!!

:eek: Did not know that. Last year was so overcrowded it was unbelievable, you almost had to be at a court before 11am to guarantee a seat for the first match :rolleyes:

I never normally watch a whole match, usually watch a set of one match then move on and find another one to watch but was struggling last year to find space to watch matches - this will just make it worse :mad:

Montego
05-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi,

I will be in London from 19 to 22th June. And since Wimby starts on 21st - I would be able to visit the first day. Could you please tell me if it is possible to buy tickets for one day only and how to do it

Thanks in advance

savesthedizzle
05-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Hi,

I will be in London from 19 to 22th June. And since Wimby starts on 21st - I would be able to visit the first day. Could you please tell me if it is possible to buy tickets for one day only and how to do it

Thanks in advance

If you are able to attend Wimbledon the first Monday, the only way you can get tickets is if you queue. It's easy enough to do :) First just decide what kind of ticket you want because that determines what time you should get there. If you decide you really want to be able to get Centre Court, for the first day? Honestly you should show up probably around noon on Sunday (or earlier :tape: ) if you want to be pretty certain of getting it. You also have to consider what side of the draw Murray is on. If Murray will be playing on the first day, then the earlier you get in the queue, the better off you will be. I entered the queue at about 5 pm on Sunday last year and I was not even close to getting either Centre or Court 1 for the first Monday.

If all you want is a grounds pass, to just be able to experience the Wimbledon experience, you can show up at about 7 am Monday, wait in the queue, and you'll be set. Make sure you have cash on you to pay for your ticket, as you will not be able to use any credit or debit cards :D (The stewards will tell you that about a million times while you stand in the queue, so... you don't have to remember me telling you that now. :D) With a grounds pass you can see all the courts except Centre, Court 1, Court 2.

If you have any other questions, everyone in this thread is helpful :D A lot of MTF-ers attend Wimbledon fairly regularly :wavey:

jazar
05-20-2010, 08:23 AM
i'll be there as part of the stringing team again.

CooCooCachoo
05-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Alas, I am missing in action this year, for the first time in ages.

SRM
05-20-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm going to qualies for a couple of days and I plan to queue on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of the first week. Just praying it will be able 10C cooler this year!

SRM
05-20-2010, 05:23 PM
I agree that Wimbledon can be a bit of a pain because a lot of people turn up 'to be seen' and to say that they have been but at the same time, even though the grounds are generally packed to the rafters, I normally don't have a problem getting a good view or a good seat for the matches I want to watch. You just need a bit of patience.

kschoice
05-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm new on the forum and I will be in London from June 18th until 25th. I already have tickets for Court n°1 on June 24th.

Does anyone on the forum have plans to meet there ?

Thanks

adee-gee
05-24-2010, 06:19 PM
:eek: Did not know that. Last year was so overcrowded it was unbelievable, you almost had to be at a court before 11am to guarantee a seat for the first match :rolleyes:

I never normally watch a whole match, usually watch a set of one match then move on and find another one to watch but was struggling last year to find space to watch matches - this will just make it worse :mad:
I had exactly the same problem. It has become ridiculous, I used to love going most days during the first week and walk round all the matches, but now it is crazy. I doubt I'll go more than a day or two. I wish they'd stop thinking about money and cut the number of ground passes available.

cath777
05-24-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm unexpectedly going to be in London on the middle Saturday this year, but I don't get into Gatwick until 9.30am. Does anyone have a clue my chances of getting into Wimbledon? Slim, non-existent?

nobacherie
05-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I went last year and was lucky enough to get tickets in the ballot this year. Centre court for the semi-finals, should be good :)

adee-gee
05-28-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm unexpectedly going to be in London on the middle Saturday this year, but I don't get into Gatwick until 9.30am. Does anyone have a clue my chances of getting into Wimbledon? Slim, non-existent?
Very slim I'd say :hug: middle Saturday is the busiest day of the tourney, last year was chaotic - unless you got into the queue before about 7.30am you didn't get in. You might be better trying to go there at about 4ish and trying to get in when people are leaving, they resell tickets.

Oliboyz
06-03-2010, 08:38 AM
I'm going from Monday to Thursday by myself, anyone wanna join? or any group is going?

kschoice
06-03-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm going from Monday to Thursday by myself, anyone wanna join? or any group is going?

I will be going some of those days too.

Hagar
06-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I have 2 tickets for Centre Court on Saturday 26 June and I am going by myself. Is there anyone who is interested to join me?

novanora
06-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I confirm to be there from Monday to Wednesday of the 1st week (will pick one day to queue overnight), then leave for Scotland on Thursday, and back to London for the men's semi-final on July 2.

lukela85
06-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm off to the qualies this year. Can anyone confirm if it is still at the Bank of England Sports Club in Roehampton, and is it still easy to park nearby? Two years ago I parked just down the street from the entrance.

Bartman2099
06-09-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm off to the qualies this year. Can anyone confirm if it is still at the Bank of England Sports Club in Roehampton, and is it still easy to park nearby? Two years ago I parked just down the street from the entrance.

Yes, I would like to know this as well please!

Also, does anyone know how probable it is to get centre court or court 1 tickets for the second wednesday (i.e. the mens quarterfinals)? At what time would I have to queue the day before to be more or less sure to get in?

Cheers!

adee-gee
06-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I have 2 tickets for Centre Court on Saturday 26 June and I am going by myself. Is there anyone who is interested to join me?
Have you still got 1 available? I'd contemplate taking it off you if you still got it :wavey:
Yeah it's still at the club in Roehampton - the last few years I've been able to park right near there just go to the bottom of the road and swing round to the left and that whole street is free parking. That's presuming they haven't changed it this year :unsure: I'll be going on Wednesday so I could let you know, depending which day you're going?

Yes, I would like to know this as well please!

Also, does anyone know how probable it is to get centre court or court 1 tickets for the second wednesday (i.e. the mens quarterfinals)? At what time would I have to queue the day before to be more or less sure to get in?

Cheers!
It'll be tough. Very. If Murray, Nadal and Federer are still in it you'll struggle. I'd say you'd probably need to queue from at least 2pm the day before, maybe even earlier. It's the last day people can buy tickets on the gate, and it's a good day to go.

cath777
06-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Have you still got 1 available? I'd contemplate taking it off you if you still got it :wavey:

Too late :angel: But thanks for your response on my question a few pages back :hug:

adee-gee
06-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Too late :angel: But thanks for your response on my question a few pages back :hug:
:ras: :lol:

Let me know which days you're going, would be good to hook up if you fancy it :) and ask away if you've got any other questions.

Anyone going to qualies on Wednesday?

Balaenopteramusculus
06-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Only qualies for me this year.:sad:I'm going tomorrow right after work.

abhinav_shaan
06-15-2010, 07:51 AM
me going for the first two days..
will queue overnight for one of them atleast..
it will be my first time...
any ideas how to rent a tent for the overnight queue..
are they available nearby???

MissChaChaCha
06-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Nobody was at Wimbledon yesterday ? :angel:

CooCooCachoo
06-15-2010, 10:12 AM
I really hate it how I am not there at qualies this year :mad:

itsrachelhere
06-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi there,

I notice that there are few people on here who have had experience of camping in the past. I have camped four times for the first week, but am planning this time to go for the Men's Quarter Finals. Really hoping Andy Murray is still in the draw and can get to see him on centre, and guessing would be Roger/Rafa playing in the other match on centre. I am just totally paranoid about not getting there on time to get a centre court ticket! I don't want to travel 4 hours to be number 600 in the queue, but equally don't want to get there so early that my husband is really annoyed with me for making him sit out for hours longer than necessary! I have booked us on a coach getting into Victoria for 11.30, and then hopefully to Wimbledon Park for around 12.30pm (the day before obviously!). Those who have camped out before, do you think that's a reasonable time to get there for? Thanks in advance!!

Anyone who wants tips for first week camping, feel free to ask!!

abhinav_shaan
06-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Hi there,

Anyone who wants tips for first week camping, feel free to ask!!

I asked before but no-one replied.
I will be coming for the first time to UK.
I will be coming all the way from India , with my wife for the first couple of days , before moving on to scotland for a vacation

I intend to queue overnight for the first day.

Any tips as to when to reach to guarantee getting a ticket to centre court to watch federer open the proceedings are welcome.

Biggest question i have :
WHERE CAN I RENT A 2-PERSON TENT

itsrachelhere
06-17-2010, 07:45 AM
I think for the first Monday to be absolutely sure you want to aim to get there for around 1pm (actually in the queue for 1pm, so get to Southfields tube station for say 12.30). I have never heard of anywhere that rents tents, sorry. Your best bet, I would have thought, would be to go to a store like argos where you could buy a tent like this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3401668/Trail/searchtext%3ETENT.htm

There are loads of argos' all over London http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/QASStoreLocator?nextView=ArgosStoreLocatorMainStor eList&failView=ArgosStoreLocatorMain&mmPostcode=&mmTownName=london&x=0&y=0

Someone always turns up to camp without a tent, so when you leave that evening you could always go to the queue and see if anyone would like to buy the tent off you.

cath777
06-20-2010, 11:57 PM
:ras: :lol:

Let me know which days you're going, would be good to hook up if you fancy it :) and ask away if you've got any other questions.

Ooh, I'd be honoured to meet you :worship: I'm only going to be there on the middle Saturday, though. If that doesn't work, I'll be back in November for longer for the year end championships :yeah:

dav abu
06-21-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm going along.. going to camp overnight on Thursday. First went in 05 and I'm just as looking forward to it this year. It really is great.

EBeekman8
06-26-2010, 02:42 PM
I have a question. I am visiting Wimbledon (or any grandslam) for the first time on Monday and i intend to stay 3 days, however i do not have any tickets. No groundtickets nor any stadium tickets. I was wondering if i could be certain to receive groundtickets if i join the Queue on Monday morning. From what i have understood, being able to purchase Center or Court 1 tickets is very unlikely...

I am about to book a flight and hotel in a minute, i would just like to be certain that i can receive tickets first.

kschoice
06-26-2010, 02:48 PM
I have a question. I am visiting Wimbledon (or any grandslam) for the first time on Monday and i intend to stay 3 days, however i do not have any tickets. No groundtickets nor any stadium tickets. I was wondering if i could be certain to receive groundtickets if i join the Queue on Monday morning. From what i have understood, being able to purchase Center or Court 1 tickets is very unlikely...

I am about to book a flight and hotel in a minute, i would just like to be certain that i can receive tickets first.

I queued first and second days and arrived around 9 AM and got no trouble getting in (but only getting there around noon eventually). I arrived a little before 5 AM on Wednesday and barely got a ticket to Center court (notice that people favored Court n°1 that day as Federer was playing there). About 30 people behind me there were only Court n°2 tickets still available.

Hope you find this helpful.

pesto
06-27-2010, 01:50 AM
I'm also hoping to go Monday. I'm perfectly happy to just get a ground pass. I think I can arrive between 8 and 8:30. Does that sound feasible for this point in the tournament?

Do they still have the system where show court spectators can hand in their ticket if they leave early, and it gets re-sold at cut-price?

kschoice
06-27-2010, 07:00 AM
I'm also hoping to go Monday. I'm perfectly happy to just get a ground pass. I think I can arrive between 8 and 8:30. Does that sound feasible for this point in the tournament?

Do they still have the system where show court spectators can hand in their ticket if they leave early, and it gets re-sold at cut-price?

I wouldn't know for sure, but it seems to me it would be ok.
Yes, there's a ticket re-sale at 5£ that opens mid-afternoon. I haven't tried it.

pesto
06-29-2010, 11:37 AM
I was a bit later than intended. I'm so bad at mornings, but I know a man who's worse...

Cycled to Southfields and got there about 8:25. Mr Pesto was supposed to be following hot on my wheels, and I expected to be overtaken en route, but he didn't arrive until ten to nine, and was much sworn at in absentia. So we probably joined the queue at about 9. We were numbers 7893 and 7894 in the queue, and they were allowing 8000 in. So he narrowly avoided a horrendous fate. We got through the ticket booths at about 12:10.

As it was 2nd Monday, there were lots of interesting matches on outer courts, but the queues for singles matches on courts 12 and 18 were pretty long with no shade, so we gave those a miss. The resales booth had a long queue too. We ended up seeing mixed, women's and men's doubles and women's singles, caught a glimpse of a few juniors and spied on some meeja folks. Ended up in a Southfield pub on a table next to some WTA players.

Queuing wasn't a bad experience at all, but it was hot, hot, hot. I'd do it again, so long as mein lieber Herr understands that if he cuts it that fine again he will Pray for Death. If we'd been earlier we could probably have got onto one of the bigger outer courts.

kschoice
06-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I was a bit later than intended. I'm so bad at mornings, but I know a man who's worse...

Cycled to Southfields and got there about 8:25. Mr Pesto was supposed to be following hot on my wheels, and I expected to be overtaken en route, but he didn't arrive until ten to nine, and was much sworn at in absentia. So we probably joined the queue at about 9. We were numbers 7893 and 7894 in the queue, and they were allowing 8000 in. So he narrowly avoided a horrendous fate. We got through the ticket booths at about 12:10.

As it was 2nd Monday, there were lots of interesting matches on outer courts, but the queues for singles matches on courts 12 and 18 were pretty long with no shade, so we gave those a miss. The resales booth had a long queue too. We ended up seeing mixed, women's and men's doubles and women's singles, caught a glimpse of a few juniors and spied on some meeja folks. Ended up in a Southfield pub on a table next to some WTA players.

Queuing wasn't a bad experience at all, but it was hot, hot, hot. I'd do it again, so long as mein lieber Herr understands that if he cuts it that fine again he will Pray for Death. If we'd been earlier we could probably have got onto one of the bigger outer courts.

If you get in there too late, getting an unreserved seat for an interesting match is highly unlikely indeed.
First monday I arrived around 9:00 and got number 6623. I'm guessing second Monday is the most crowdy as all 4th round matches take place then.

pesto
06-29-2010, 03:18 PM
We still had a great day, but would definitely try to get there earlier if we went on second Monday again. I think we've found a better place to leave the bikes that would cut down our journey time, but most of all, I need to make sure that the boy leaves home earlier.

I suspect it was pretty much as busy as it will get. All 4th round matches, as you say. The top 4 seeds in both singles draws were still in, and there were still home hopes in doubles and juniors. And the weather was great.

The queue steward said that to get show court tickets for Monday, you'd have had to be in the queue on Saturday.