Seems like a lot of question marks in London... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Seems like a lot of question marks in London...

theseth1119
11-20-2009, 04:17 AM
Federer: Hasn't done well lately, losing horribly to Djokovic in the finals of his native Basel and losing even more horribly to Julien Benneteau in the 2nd round of Paris. Can he beat the likes of Murray, Del Potro, and Verdasco? I say he wins over at least the last two and a decent chance over Murray too. He does know how to step it up for the big events (i.e. 22 consecutive GS SFs). Federer to be in the SF.

Nadal: Injured, not 100% yet, and hasn't won an event since May. He has to face Djokovic, Davydenko, and Soderling. Three guys who have all beaten him convincingly this year. Can he beat any of the three? I say he wins at most against two of these guys. While he has made the SF the two times he played (in 2006 and 2007), he was in better form than now and wasn't getting thrashed by the likes of Djokovic and Davydenko. Rafa 50/50 to make the SF.

Djokovic: He appears to be the smallest question mark of all. He has won three of the past four events he's entered and leads the ATP with his 76-18 record. This makes Djokovic the winningest man of the ATp in 2009 and currently the hotest on tour. Given his dominance over Nadal lately you'd think he can beat him, but what about against Davydenko and Soderling? I say he wins 2 or 3 of his matches and advances to the SF.

Murray: His wrist gave him trouble a few months ago and he still doesn't seem to be 100%, but Murray is a true fighter. He will have the pressure to win in London more than the others being British, but if anyone can pull it off it's Murray. You have to like his chances against an injured Del Potro and Verdasco, but can he beat Federer who thrashed him 6-2 7-6 in Cincinnati? I say there's a very good chance Murray advances to the SF.

Del Potro: Perhaps he is the biggest question mark of the 8 contestants in London. Since winning the 2009 USO over Federer, Del Potro has gone 2-3 and retired twice. He has been very injured, ineffective, and losing against guys he would normally beat. Del Potro has a good chance of beating Verdasco, but beating Federer and Murray is going to be a tall task (no pun intended). I say there's virtually no chance Del Potro makes the SF and might pull out with an injury.

Davydenko: He has been healthy all year no doubt and held his own against the likes of Nadal and Djokovic, but Davydenko has never to date been one who is known to win the big matches. He has handled Nadal well on hardvourts usually, but this is a major event and it is possible Davydenko will fold. Djokovic is going to be hard to beat, but Soderling he has a good chance to beat. I say he wins 2 matches at most and is 50/50 to make the SF; the same as Nadal.

Verdasco: Health hasn't really been an issue for Verdasco and his SF against Nadal at the AO showed that he really can be a force on hardcourts. However, the fact that he is 1-10 combined against his three opponents doesn't bode very well for Verdasco. Verdasco is going to have his hands full with Federer and Murray and even Del Potro won't make it easy for him most likely. I say Verdasco losses all three matches and absolutely will not make the SF.

Soderling: He makes it into London due to the withdrawal of Roddick and himself was recently battling injury, but his strong performance at Paris and making the FO finals are big reasons why he's qualified for London. He's going to face a Nadal who wants revenge for his FO loss to Soderling, a red hot Djokovic, and a decent opponent in Davydenko. I think Soderling will go 0-3 or 1-2 and fail to qualify for the SF.

Tsonga: He's the first alternate, has been mostly healthy this year, and is keeping himself in shape this week in case someone (i.e. Del Potro) pulls out with an injury and he can step in and take over. He's lost to Verdasco, Nadal, Djokovic, Del Potro, Murray, and Soderling this year, but has also beaten Djokovic and amazingly Federer in Montreal. Given his losses to 6 of the guys in this event this year, Tsonga if he gets to play will likely fail to make the SF.

Tell me what you think about my analysis for each of the players in London, thanks!

philosophicalarf
11-20-2009, 04:39 AM
Murray: .....but can he beat Federer who thrashed him 6-2 7-6 in Cincinnati? I say there's a very good chance Murray advances to the SF.

That result didn't mean much I think - Canada winners usually struggle physically in Cinci, and Murray was already falling off the form tree in earlier matches (didn't impress much against Almugro, and was awful against Benneteau).

Wouldn't be surprised to see Federer beat him in London though. Murray has really struggled to find any range since his comeback, and isn't mentally match sharp either - every match he has awful wobbles.

Davydenko: I say he wins 2 matches at most and is 50/50 to make the SF; the same as Nadal.

I have a hunch this is another falling off the form tree. Obviously the tank in Moscow meant nothing, but he didn't look too clever in Valencia against Monaco or GGL, and he went utterly error-crazy against Youzhny.

I say Verdasco losses all three matches and absolutely will not make the SF.

Yup. Verdasco is 9/54 career against top10, and has lost 12 in a row. Even an atrociously rusty Murray had relatively little trouble with him, and that in Spain. On top of that, he looked physically wrecked in Paris.

Soderling: He makes it into London due to the withdrawal of Roddick and himself was recently battling injury, but his strong performance at Paris and making the FO finals are big reasons why he's qualified for London. He's going to face a Nadal who wants revenge for his FO loss to Soderling, a red hot Djokovic, and a decent opponent in Davydenko. I think Soderling will go 0-3 or 1-2 and fail to qualify for the SF.

Might depend on whether his third match the opponent has nothing to play for. He's got a great record against Davydenko, winning 5 of the last 6 (the sole loss being in KL this year, when Sod was a tiebreak away from winning in straights). Djoko is difficult for him though, so needs to meet him after he's qualified - however if Sod wins his opener vs Nadal, he likely plays Djoko 2nd, then Davy third.

Wasn't impressed with Sod against Djoko though - Djoko looked like he'd given up and was doing a traditional top player Paris flop. Soderling just suddenly blew up in the third set though, hitting nearly everything long or into the net. Complete mental collapse, worryingly "old Soderling" style. Same story vs Lopez in the Shanghai quarters - same situation too, a sf with Nadal his for the taking, and thus a strong chance at a final.

RafitoGoat
11-20-2009, 04:55 AM
Federer and Djokovic are the most likely winners here :yeah:, hope I'm wrong and theres a lot of upsets :yeah:

catatonia
11-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Verdasco: Health hasn't really been an issue for Verdasco

Verdasco is carrying a foot injury for some time and he will need surgery after the end of the season. It is a minor one and he was able to postpone the action on it for after the Masters, but still it is some kind of a setback for a physical player like him.

latso
11-20-2009, 08:27 AM
The only question mark in my mind here is Del Potro

He's been hiding his game like a pro poker player, or is he that muhc low in form?
Or is the injury situation bothering him still?

He's very hard to read right now.

The rest is clear at first sight. I expect Nole to exit the group but only this. He should be the one with most fatigue accumulation.

Muzza is a contender, Fedex is the main favourit, the rest - anything could happen but they'll need a lot of luck. Rafa included, even though he's always a semi final material, even in this unconvincing form.

Roger - Rafa
Muzza - Nole

Roger - Muzza

Roger

that's how i see it

Goldenoldie
11-20-2009, 09:57 AM
I expect the top 4 to make the semis, but with a bit of a question mark between Murray and Del Potro.
There might be some strategic tanking in the last of the RR matches.

RafitoGoat
11-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Rafa's hardest work will be in the round-robin, not so much the semi, I don't think he would mind playing Federer/Murray :lol:

paseo
11-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Rafa's hardest work will be in the round-robin, not so much the semi, I don't think he would mind playing Federer/Murray :lol:

I actually think Fed would love to play Nadal here.

madmax
11-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I actually think Fed would love to play Nadal here.

agreed...Fed has moonabller figured out, as it was evidently shown in the clay Masters final:worship:

Foxy
11-20-2009, 11:40 AM
agreed...Fed has moonabller figured out, as it was evidently shown in the clay Masters final:worship:

Yeah, he finally figured out how to play him! :haha: For n-th time. Until their next match, though.

VolandriFan
11-20-2009, 12:22 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2hyzyox.jpg

RafitoGoat
11-20-2009, 03:05 PM

So did he lose to Soderling at RG because of knees or because Soderling worked him out too? 4 straight French Opens and then BOOM! FEDERER WORKED IT OUT! :haha: BOOM! SODERLING WORKED IT OUT! :lol: BOOM! DJOKOVIC SUDDENLY HURTING HIM ON CLAY! yeah rigggggggggggggggggght.....:haha:

madmax
11-20-2009, 03:13 PM
So did he lose to Soderling at RG because of knees or because Soderling worked him out too? 4 straight French Opens and then BOOM! FEDERER WORKED IT OUT! :haha: BOOM! SODERLING WORKED IT OUT! :lol: BOOM! DJOKOVIC SUDDENLY HURTING HIM ON CLAY! yeah rigggggggggggggggggght.....:haha:

I sense a lot of desperation in your post, Nadulltard:wavey: And posting in capitals simply proves your insecurity...

RafitoGoat
11-20-2009, 03:23 PM
I sense a lot of desperation in your post, Nadulltard:wavey: And posting in capitals simply proves your insecurity...

LOOOOOOOOOO:lol:OOOOOOOOOL nadaltard? Good luck trying to prove that with my post history :yeah:

Arkulari
11-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Well Rafa is 0-2 against Roger in indoors, so I guess you can give Fed the edge in here at least ;)

paseo
11-20-2009, 04:28 PM

Soderling beats Nadal with a game plan that's already proven to be effective, blast powerful groundstrokes consistently. Obviously, this is not an easy thing to do, cause if it was, every player would be doing it. Soderling did not create this game plan, it was already there :)

Because of his limited backhand capabilities, Fed can't ball bash his way through Nadal. And Nadal is a nightmare match-up for Fed. So, he actually came out with an original game plan that works (see Madrid final). It's more complicated and harder to execute, but it's the only thing he's got at the moment (on clay), apart from going to GodFed mode (which is even tougher to do). What Fed did was combining aggressive play with tricks. He would come to the net after a 2nd serve, hitting a kick 1st serve then follow it to the net, fake coming to the net, use dropshots, hit powerful forehands, mixed backhand slice & top spin down the line, anything to keep Nadal guessing. And it worked. I'm not sure he can pull it of again, but IMO, Fed doesn't need to do that on hard courts.

Well, I think Djokovic is the closest one who might be able to give Nadal a hard time on clay consistently. He's still young & will improve, but the most important thing for Djokovic is that his game is a great match-up against Nadal. Right now, Nadal still has the edge on clay. But, let's just see what Djokovic can do in the future :)

Byrd
11-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Don't forget though, Nadal looked awful this year on clay by his standards, everybody I know was saying this long before Madrid. He was living on painkillers apparently. Don't fool yourself into thinking Soderling, Djokovic and Federer are close to being as good as the clay GOAT l:lol:l :haha: None of them would have taken a set off 2008 Nadal....

Dkokovic did though at Hamburg 2008 and almost beat him :retard:

paseo
11-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Don't forget though, Nadal looked awful this year on clay by his standards, everybody I know was saying this long before Madrid. He was living on painkillers apparently. Don't fool yourself into thinking Soderling, Djokovic and Federer are close to being as good as the clay GOAT l:lol:l :haha: None of them would have taken a set off 2008 Nadal....

Of course. Nadal is not the clay court GOAT candidate for nothing, right now he's by far the best clay court player in the world. I'm just saying that there are players that on their good day, with the right game plan, can give him a hard time on clay. Nobody's perfect. Not even Nadal on clay. This is my opinion, of course :)

Orka_n
11-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Don't forget though, Nadal looked awful this year on clay by his standards, everybody I know was saying this long before Madrid. He was living on painkillers apparently. Don't fool yourself into thinking Soderling, Djokovic and Federer are close to being as good as the clay GOAT l:lol:l :haha: None of them would have taken a set off 2008 Nadal....This may come as a shock for you: Nadal CAN lose despite being healthy. :eek: No, it's true! I promise.
But either way, it's irrelevant. The way Nadal's playing right now, I'd be surprised if he won even once in London.

scoobs
11-20-2009, 06:23 PM
There's always a lot of question marks at this point in the season - most players are coming in with some niggle or uncertainty or other. The only one who seems really raring to go is Djokovic.

oranges
11-20-2009, 06:29 PM

You don't say. That RG is the first case in history of someone utterly dominating a slam for years and then losing legitimately. Borg, Sampras or Federer must have been similarly indisposed when they were dethroned and people are laughing their asses off till today that those mugs would never have beaten them otherwise.

momo_momo
11-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Certainly a lot of ?s. This might be the time to pull a last-minute upset everybody doesn't expect to happen. Verdasco winning perhaps? :haha:

Kidding. Djoko might not win this thing...maybe.

habibko
11-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Nadal isn't injured.

MalwareDie
11-20-2009, 07:49 PM

Please continue the excellent job of convincing everybody that you aren't rafawonusopen09/therafa.

GhostUnholy
11-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I think Nadal will probably manage to fight and win one match, or have the benefit of someone choking against him. I'm fairly certain that Djokovic will murder him again, and I'm betting on Soderling taking him to the woodshed again. Davydenko, depends on form/whether or not he will choke. Nadal won't recover his form till sometime after AO2010 I'm thinking.

Fed may not care about Masters Shields but I can see him working hard for another TMC, and with Djokovic being on a role, I see them as the favorite from each group.

TheBoiledEgg
11-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Davydenko: He has been healthy all year no doubt

::o
Kolya was injured until April :rolleyes:

UsD.AnDreS
11-20-2009, 10:47 PM
yeah,the thing about "all year healthy" davydenko sounds a bit funny after he wasn't able to play at AO and didn't defend his Miami title because of injury

Burrow
11-20-2009, 11:24 PM
How the hell is Nadal injured? :haha:

madmax
11-20-2009, 11:30 PM
How the hell is Nadal injured? :haha:

Nadal is always injured, didn't you know that?:rolleyes: If he wasn't so baddly crippled, he would rule the tour and destroy anyone on his path...well, at least according to his nuthuggers

djb84xi
11-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Everybody's got their questions about all 8 guys. I keep hearing everyone pick Djokovic, and sure, while he's the hot player, I'm willing to bet that he won't come out on top, because the field is just too good and too talented for him to just cruise through and beat everyone.

I don't believe Rafa is all that injured like people seem to think. I think his health is just about right where it needs to be. If anything, it's his confidence that's under questioning. Will he find the confidence he needs to win?

As far as Roger is concerned, I'm not worried, because he's simply not gonna come into London and just play sloppy tennis. This is a very important event and his No. 1 ranking is on the line, so by all means, he knows he needs to go out and take care of business, so he try to win and maintain his No. 1 ranking.

I won't go into further detail, but I think all the questions that are up in the air will be answered by the time next Sunday is over. :p

Vida
11-21-2009, 12:16 AM
there is only one relevant question here: will djokovic lose one set or none on the way to the title?

djb84xi
11-21-2009, 12:24 AM
there is only one relevant question here: will djokovic lose one set or none on the way to the title?

R u totally sure about Djokovic?

RafitoGoat
11-21-2009, 05:14 AM
Parera is 100% fit, better than he's ever been in november in his whole career :yeah:
“I’m in perfect shape, both mentally and physically,” Nadal said Friday. “I’ve had the best end of the season in my life.”

MurrayFan1
11-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Djokovic, Federer or Davydenko will win this imo. Djokovic and Davydenko are in stupidly good form and Federer always peaks at the right time. I could no way pick one to win this though.