First World Tour Finals Match: ----MURRAY--VS--DEL POTRO---- Who will win? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

First World Tour Finals Match: ----MURRAY--VS--DEL POTRO---- Who will win?

Tomy
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM
These two guys have quite a history against each other. The H2H says that Murray should win the match: 4-1 for the Scotish, plus he won the last one (Montreal Masters's final)6-7(4), 7-6(3), 6-1. The crowd will be obviously supporting Andy.
Anyways, Del Pony arrives to London as the last Grand Slam winner, so you never know...

duong
11-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Murray in 3 for this one ... but generally speaking, I think that in the future, Del Potro will have the edge on Murray outdoors and apart from grass.

Farrow
11-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Murray in 3, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way (again in 3)

TheBoiledEgg
11-19-2009, 03:35 PM
talk about fixing the schedule for the home boy :spit:

RafitoGoat
11-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Federer will be hoping for Murray to win this match :yeah:

oranges
11-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Where's the who knows option?

Certinfy
11-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Dammit!!! My 2 fave players, good luck to both, couldn't care who wins.

theseth1119
11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Don't forget that incident where Del Potro talked about Murray's mother back in Rome 2008. There's no love lost between these two. My pick: Murray over Del Potro in 2. Del Potro's been hobbling around since he won the 2009 USO.

Goldenoldie
11-19-2009, 04:08 PM
This will be won by whichever player is less injured, ill, tired, depressed and wound-up.
I think the winner will make the semis, with the loser having to beat Federer to progress.
Much as I like Verdasco, I think he will go 0-3, and the rest is anyone's guess

Vida
11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
this goes to murray with little doubt. probably delpo will take a set, perhaps the first one.

by the way, dont be surprised if verdasco goes to semis along with federer. he has nothing to lose (all the burden is on murray), and we know he can beat the scot. delpo out of form so...

tennishero
11-19-2009, 04:19 PM
probably murray in 3, although a fit delpo would take this in 2.

Farrow
11-19-2009, 04:25 PM
this goes to murray with little doubt. probably delpo will take a set, perhaps the first one.

by the way, dont be surprised if verdasco goes to semis along with federer. he has nothing to lose (all the burden is on murray), and we know he can beat the scot. delpo out of form so...

That'd be fantastic.

Vida
11-19-2009, 04:31 PM
That'd be fantastic.

yeah it would. I kinda warmed up to nando. read some stuff about how he grew up and it kinda sounded cool.

Bernard Black
11-19-2009, 04:36 PM
The Scot will win this, and thereby usher in THE DAWN OF MURRAY.

Elena.
11-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Del Potro

Sunset of Age
11-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Muzza in two. DelPotro seems to be horribly out of form, Muzza is back on track and would surely like to show the Brits whether he's the Real Thing or no.

Clay Death
11-19-2009, 05:22 PM
murray if he plays the right tactics and does the following:

1. d-pot returns well so murray has to take care of his serve first and foremost. this will also put some extra pressure on d-pot`s own serve.
2. murray needs to use his variety which means he has to mix it up good and keep d-pot from acquiring much rhythm.
3. murray has to be aggressive. it wouldnt hurt to go in behind some big approach shots. he has the reach and he has good hands at the net.

Corey Feldman
11-19-2009, 05:30 PM
it would be just Murray's luck that Delpo is 100% recovered and playing like the animal he was at USO and before

MalwareDie
11-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Del Mugro was never that good. Federer couldn't even keep the ball in play at the US Open.

tennishero
11-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Del Mugro was never that good. Federer couldn't even keep the ball in play at the US Open.

still bitter are we?

Noleta
11-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Murray in 2:sad:

MalwareDie
11-19-2009, 05:40 PM
still bitter are we?

Nalbandian>>>Del Mugro

Del Mugro sucks.

Bilbo
11-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Dammit!!! My 2 fave players, good luck to both, couldn't care who wins.

Berdych is 2nd according to your sig

Noleta
11-19-2009, 05:57 PM
it would be just Murray's luck that Delpo is 100% recovered and playing like the animal he was at USO and before

Nah.

Clay Death
11-19-2009, 06:01 PM
still bitter are we?

affirmative. now that is a die hard blind worsshipper for you. evidently, according to malware, Fed was the only one on the court.

Corey Feldman
11-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Nah.but you would agree Murray is more popular around the world than Djokovic? :hug:

Sunset of Age
11-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Nah.

Don't think so either. He's looked pretty miserable (body language, retirements) during all of the post USO tournaments. I'd be really surprised if he'd suddenly be back on track here.

Noleta
11-19-2009, 06:12 PM
but you would agree Murray is more popular around the world than Djokovic? :hug:

As much as it pains me to say this.Yes he is:bigcry:

Don't think so either. He's looked pretty miserable (body language, retirements) during all of the post USO tournaments. I'd be really surprised if he'd suddenly be back on track here.

Yup.0-3 for DelPo unforunately:sad:

tennishero
11-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Nalbandian>>>Del Mugro

Del Mugro sucks.

i agree Nalbandian is better.
Delpo works harder though, and u cant negate his incredible mental strength, he is tougher than nadal, and at least he isnt defensive, he hits the ball like a truck.

rocketassist
11-19-2009, 06:21 PM
i agree Nalbandian is better.
Delpo works harder though, and u cant negate his incredible mental strength, he is tougher than nadal, and at least he isnt defensive, he hits the ball like a truck.

He does but he's often very defensive himself, just hits harder than other defensive players.

Brick Top
11-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Cant wait for this,i think Andy will clinch it

duong
11-19-2009, 06:46 PM
As much as it pains me to say this.Yes he is:bigcry:

you are kidding, I hope ?

Action Jackson's popularity poll shows that Djokovic is far ahead of Murray, if I remember (439 to 345 in my last count)

Although Djokovic was a little bit ahead of Murray for disliked players (472 to 439 in my last count) -the first two actually :lol:

And everything I can read in France clearly shows that Murray is very unpopular whereas Djokovic has some appreciation comments, and he has more and more actually.

Noleta
11-19-2009, 06:59 PM
But it's all about the Fed/Rafa and Murray mania,no?:shrug:

duong
11-19-2009, 07:04 PM
But it's all about the Fed/Rafa and Murray mania,no?:shrug:

I've checked last results of Action Jackson's poll : Djokovic is still ahead of Murray, but slightly less.

I rather think that what you refer to is related to the fact that this year, people have believed more about Murray to go ahead of Federer and Nadal, because Djokovic gave the same impression last year but failed in the end.

And then Murray got some "bandwagonning" as it's called here.

But I can already see now things changing again as Murray on his turn has made people disappointed and Djokovic is coming back :aplot:

Corey Feldman
11-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I've checked last results of Action Jackson's poll : Djokovic is still ahead of Murray, but slightly less.

its a well known fact there are 5 serb posters on this site with 20 accounts

everytime a poll with Djokovic opens he has 100 votes in the first 5 minutes

born_on_clay
11-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Murray in 2

tangerine_dream
11-19-2009, 07:32 PM
I don't think Ponyboy is motivated to play WTF at all. Muzz in two.

Chiakifug
11-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Do it Pony!

Horatio Caine
11-19-2009, 08:14 PM

:haha:

If JMDP's recent conditioning is anything to go by, Murray should be winning this. But if JMDP has sufficiently recovered, and Muzza insists on playing that horrible softly hit pushy tennis rubbish, I could see him being slapped across to the other side of London.

DrJules
11-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Murray in 2 sets.

He is the better and more versatile player.

TennisLurker
11-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Murray is playing better, but then, Del Potro should feel quite motivated, perhaps he will bring the goods.

Is the surface low bouncing?

malisha
11-19-2009, 09:14 PM
yeah it would. I kinda warmed up to nando. read some stuff about how he grew up and it kinda sounded cool.

did you watched his matches with Ljubo and Cilic?

Nando is still hopeless mental mighet and he will always be

malisha
11-19-2009, 09:16 PM
as for the thread Murray takes this one

in 2 or 3

xargon
11-19-2009, 09:32 PM
And everything I can read in France clearly shows that Murray is very unpopular whereas Djokovic has some appreciation comments, and he has more and more actually.

Good this will help him if he ever gets to the RG finals.

duong
11-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Good this will help him if he ever gets to the RG finals.

I think if he played a final against Nadal as he did in Monte-Carlo or Madrid, he would get a huge support ;)

French people like bravery, they would love that.

duong
11-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Is the surface low bouncing?

I've heard like in Kuala Lumpur : it was quite low bouncing, not good for JMDP.

kyleskywalker007
11-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Well, given that Delpo has sucked lately (of course it has to do with injuries) I would expect Murray to win in 2. However, given that this is London....u never know

Clydey
11-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Despite the fact that he's never beaten Murray on hard, he'd win in straight sets?

Clydey
11-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Both are out of form. I don't expect much from this match. They no doubt want to give it their all, but I imagine both are looking forward to the end of the season so that they can go into recovery mode.

duong
11-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Despite the fact that he's never beaten Murray on hard, he'd win in straight sets?

he will do it sooner or later, don't worry for that ;)

if he was fit, he has the ideal game to beat Murray in the future imo

yes this time, low-fit JMDP, low bounce, motivation at home, it's for Murray.

Clydey
11-19-2009, 10:14 PM
he will do it sooner or later, don't worry for that ;)

if he was fit, he has the ideal game to beat Murray in the future imo

yes this time, low-fit JMDP, low bounce, motivation at home, it's for Murray.

I'm not saying that he can't beat Murray on hard. Of course he can. It's a bit silly to say with certainty that Delpo would straight set Murray if he was fit, given their history.

Del Potro's style hasn't changed. He no more has the style to beat Murray now than he did earlier in the year. He has had the game to beat Murray for around a year now. He just hasn't been able to do it because it comes down to who executes better on the day, given how evenly matched they are now. And Murray has executed better when they have played on hard.

duong
11-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Del Potro's style hasn't changed. He no more has the style to beat Murray now than he did earlier in the year. He has had the game to beat Murray for around a year now. He just hasn't been able to do it because it comes down to who executes better on the day, given how evenly matched they are now. And Murray has executed better when they have played on hard.

they only met in Miami and Montreal :

in Montreal Del Potro showed me that he had the game to beat Murray, but then he weakened because he was not physically fit, which is clearly his problem, although he had played in Washington in terribly hot conditions the week before.

Miami there's Miami yes.

US Open last year is a bit old and very very tight.

I really think he has the game for that ... but his problem for the future clearly seems to be his fitness :sad:

Clydey
11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
they only met in Miami and Montreal :

in Montreal Del Potro showed me that he had the game to beat Murray, but then he weakened because he was not physically fit, which is clearly his problem, although he had played in Washington in terribly hot conditions the week before.

Miami there's Miami yes.

US Open last year is a bit old and very very tight.

I really think he has the game for that ... but his problem for the future clearly seems to be his fitness :sad:

I said that he has the game to beat Murray. It's not his style really, but the fact that he's so good. If Stepanek can get a win over Murray on hard, so can Del Potro.

And Del Potro only struggled in the final set in Montreal. Even in the first two sets, Murray created pretty much all of the chances. Bit of a misconception that fatigue cost Del Potro that match. He only created something like 1 or 2 BPs in the first two sets, while Murray created around 7, if memory serves.

tennishero
11-19-2009, 10:35 PM
I said that he has the game to beat Murray. It's not his style really, but the fact that he's so good. If Stepanek can get a win over Murray on hard, so can Del Potro.

And Del Potro only struggled in the final set in Montreal. Even in the first two sets, Murray created pretty much all of the chances. Bit of a misconception that fatigue cost Del Potro that match. He only created something like 1 or 2 BPs in the first two sets, while Murray created around 7, if memory serves.

because he was fatigued... put del potro from RG or USO in that match, and murray would be lucky to win a few games.

Clydey
11-19-2009, 10:37 PM
because he was fatigued... put del potro from RG or USO in that match, and murray would be lucky to win a few games.

It's funny how the Del Potro from RG and USO never seems to turn up against Murray. It's almost as if Murray has something to do with it.

Not that Murray needs to drag Del Potro's level down to beat him.

duong
11-19-2009, 10:40 PM

Personally I thought about the style

Del Potro already struggled a lot in the second set, it was obvious :shrug:

Hence many Murray BPs in the 2nd set (he had some in the first set, but in only one game if I remember, in the second set JMDP had to struggle a lot on his serve)

duong
11-19-2009, 10:43 PM
It's funny how the Del Potro from RG and USO never seems to turn up against Murray. It's almost as if Murray has something to do with it.

Not that Murray needs to drag Del Potro's level down to beat him.

once again I think that JMDP played some of his best matches against Murray : his best one in the end of last year, and a very good start in Montreal ... but only a start.

The fact is that the best JMDP from RG-USO we have very seldom seen, that's true :shrug:

TennisLurker
11-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I've heard like in Kuala Lumpur : it was quite low bouncing, not good for JMDP.

low bounce = delpo killer

Murray will surely win

The thing the top 4 players have over Delpo is that they can get points during Wimbledon and the indoor season, Del Potro really struggles to hit low bouncing balls.

I expect Del Potro to be back in form at the Australian Open, the surface should be great for his game.

Clydey
11-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Personally I thought about the style

Del Potro already struggled a lot in the second set, it was obvious :shrug:

Hence many Murray BPs in the 2nd set (he had some in the first set, but in only one game if I remember, in the second set JMDP had to struggle a lot on his serve)

Del Potro always "struggles" against Murray. The only match with Murray in which he has not called for the trainer was the match that he won. That is not a coincidence.

Del Potro always has a fatigued look about him when he is being made to work hard, and he certainly milks it. The same thing happened in Miami and in the USO last year. He looked dead on his feet, yet played out of his skin.

duong
11-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Del Potro always has a fatigued look about him when he is being made to work hard, and he certainly milks it. The same thing happened in Miami and in the USO last year. He looked dead on his feet, yet played out of his skin.

it's true, but Montreal was really different.

it's not only about his look.

By the way, as I have a Murray's fan here, I've been puzzled by Murray's suffering face very often in Valencia and PAris.

Seemingly his groin or thigh.

What's this according to you ?

I've seldom seen a player seemingly suffering so much yet not answering for injury time-outrs and still playing quite well :confused:

Thanks for your info :worship:

Clydey
11-19-2009, 10:53 PM
it's true, but Montreal was really different.

it's not only about his look.

By the way, as I have a Murray's fan here, I've been puzzled by Murray's suffering face very often in Valencia and PAris.

Seemingly his groin or thigh.

What's this according to you ?

I've seldom seen a player seemingly suffering so much yet not answering for injury time-outrs and still playing quite well :confused:

Thanks for your info :worship:

I think they're just minor niggles. Murray pretty much never calls for the trainer. He's like Federer in that regard. A lot of players call the trainer for a massage and for problems that the ATP trainer really can't do anything about it. It seems to be more of a psychological thing for a lot of players, rather than a real injury.

It's easy to convince yourself that you have a physical problem if you're not performing well.

duong
11-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I think they're just minor niggles.

Thanks :worship: , although it's hard for me to understand what a "minor niggle" is, to be honest :confused:

DJ Soup
11-19-2009, 10:57 PM
I think Delpo will show to play better at GS than outside of them. That's my impression.

Clydey
11-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks :worship: , although it's hard for me to understand what a "minor niggle" is, to be honest :confused:

A niggle is something that is going to be nothing more than a minor hindrance. It's not going to keep you out for any length of time.

TennisLurker
11-19-2009, 11:00 PM
I think he will never be that good on low bouncing surfaces.
He will be a contender on all the slams except Wimbledon. He should be happy if he wins three matches there.

Hazem
11-19-2009, 11:08 PM

This is.
I hope Del Potro will win , but I think Murray will do it in 3.

sawan66278
11-19-2009, 11:35 PM
IF Murray plays like he's capable of (a la end of 2008), Murray in straight sets. However, Delpo DOES have the ability to blow Murray off the court...and conditioning shouldn't be an issue (the "injury" notwithstanding). Likely, Andy in three.

duong
11-19-2009, 11:39 PM
From what I just read in French, Murray said that the surface was good for Nadal :confused:

I guess it means that the bounce is not so low :shrug:

and anyway it's slow, but that we knew

Noleta
11-20-2009, 05:51 AM

:lol::rolls:

paseo
11-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Murray will outlast Del Potro in 3.

malisha
11-20-2009, 08:59 AM

yeah

preety much every single time

foul_dwimmerlaik
11-20-2009, 09:50 AM
2. murray needs to use his variety
You mean his relentless bumrooting? Never in doubt.

I hope to god Potro sorts his shit out and comes to London to play. Doesn't look like it though, so Murray in str8s.

ArgieFan
11-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Murray in 2 definitely. Del Potro is still injured and will not be fit enough until 2010...

MurrayFan1
11-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Two players who are made of glass here haha.

I still think Del Potro will win in 3 though, I hope I can catch some of this after work.

roberthenman
11-21-2009, 12:31 AM
sure andy in 2

djb84xi
11-21-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm truly hoping Murray pulls this out. He has to take advantage of Del Potro not being completely 100% and play nothing but aggressive tennis throughout the match. If he allows Del Potro to just stick around, things could get interesting and ugly at the same time. Hope it's a good match. I pick Murray in 3. :)