Which Group is Harder? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which Group is Harder?

n8
11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Explain why.

I think Nadal's group is slightly harder, given the form of the players. Each pair (1 and 2, 3 and 4 etc) gets split between the two groups and I think that Nadal's group got three out of the four more dangerous players. That said, I think they are very even.

I would say that Federer is a tougher player in Masters' Cup than Nadal.
Djokovic tougher than Murray (form).
Davydenko tougher than del Potro (form).
Soderling tougher than Verdasco (Verdasco's poor record against top players).

ImmzB
11-18-2009, 11:24 AM
A.

Foxy
11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
A.

C.

Nacho
11-18-2009, 11:37 AM
harder for whom? :lol:

Bilbo
A for sure

3 time slam winners of this year

not a bad group for Nadal

duong
Explain why.

I think Nadal's group is slightly harder, given the form of the players.

yes apparently because of our judgment on their form (not if you don't consider that : Fed's group has 3 of the top-5 in "average conditions"), but we can be surprised afterwards about that.

Anything can happen :shrug:

freeandlonely
11-18-2009, 11:38 AM
pretty even for me

HarryMan
11-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Federer wouldn't mind Nadal's draw at all (Davydenko and Soderling won't be beating him). Nadal would still find it tough if Murray and Del Potro play to their potential. It depends if you talk from Nadal's point of view or in general.

duong
11-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Federer wouldn't mind Nadal's draw at all (Davydenko and Soderling won't be beating him). Nadal would still find it tough if Murray and Del Potro play to their potential. It depends if you talk from Nadal's point of view or in general.

very true : actually from Fed's point of view, players in group B are better match-ups for him than in his group (even Verdasco can give him problems with his left-handed forehand : we have seen it in the beginning of the year)

We mostly speak from Nadal's point of view.

Dini
11-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Federer on paper has the hardest group with Murray (a guy who's got his number 6-3), Del Potro (Slam winner and beat Federer in their most important meeting) and Verdasco (AO semi finalist and should have won the second set in IW).

But in reality and going by who's hot currently, then Nadal. He's got Soderling (the guy who beat him at the FO for the first time), Djokovic (thrashes him at nearly every opportunity on HC) and Davydenko (clinically beat him when they met in HC finals).

The thing is, Federer wouldn't mind Nadal's draw with his pigeons Davy and Sod in it who he has a whopping 24-0 record against (or something like that). Even Djokovic is his pigeon, but I'm not sure that means much these days. :lol:

Matt01
11-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Group B is harder because it has in-form player Djokovic.
Group A has slumping Fed, injured Del Pony and weakest link Verdasco so it's the weaker group.

n8
11-18-2009, 11:44 AM
yes apparently because of our judgment on their form (not if you don't consider that : Fed's group has 3 of the top-5 in "average conditions"), but we can be surprised afterwards about that.

Anything can happen :shrug:

Form aside, group A is definitely harder. It just quite possible del Potro could do a Djokovic in '07 (loose all three after a breakthrough year).

I mean in general.

---------------------------

The more I think about it, the more I feel they're just about equal.

duong
11-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I think what it means it's that it's quite opened groups, hard for Fed and Nadal (and even for Djokovic it's not such a good draw) :shrug:

Even more opened if you consider that some may be injured and trouble the group.

HarryMan
11-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Havind said that, I don't have a clue what is going to happen? Can Djokovic keep up his high level? Will Nadal have any answer for Djokovic, Soderling and Davydenko? Will Murray continue beating Federer in the best of three set format? Will Federer play up to his potential? Will an inform Del Potro show up?

All this will make it a very interesting and exciting week of tennis.:D

Ozon
11-18-2009, 11:51 AM
B for sure

Certinfy
11-18-2009, 11:52 AM
A i guess.

n8
11-18-2009, 11:54 AM
It's funny, being in the same group as someone who you have a bad record against can actually work in your favour. For example, Nadal knows that he can't face Djokovic or Davydenko in the semis (if he makes it that far).

Dini
11-18-2009, 11:57 AM
It's funny, being in the same group as someone who you have a bad record against can actually work in your favour. For example, Nadal knows that he can't face Djokovic or Davydenko in the semis (if he makes it that far).

But he can face Del Potro (beat him the last 3 times on HC), Federer (produced the full array to beat him twice in the semis in 06 and 07 respectively) or Murray (knows how to outlast him) if he can get that far. It's not looking too good for his title chances, but hey he's surprised us before. So let's not write him off completely.

I think my money is on Djokovic to defend (for the first time). He would have had enough rest and he's played a lot of matches which will help in tight situations.

habibko
11-18-2009, 12:06 PM
all in all it's pretty equal, B seems harder than it is because of Nadal's low level these days, hope they all bring their best, and can't wait to see Fedotro and Sodal :devil:

Foxy
11-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Federer on paper has the hardest group with Murray (a guy who's got his number 6-3), Del Potro (Slam winner and beat Federer in their most important meeting) and Verdasco (AO semi finalist and should have won the second set in IW).

But in reality and going by who's hot currently, then Nadal. He's got Soderling (the guy who beat him at the FO for the first time), Djokovic (thrashes him at nearly every opportunity on HC) and Davydenko (clinically beat him when they met in HC finals).

The thing is, Federer wouldn't mind Nadal's draw with his pigeons Davy and Sod in it who he has a whopping 24-0 record against (or something like that). Even Djokovic is his pigeon, but I'm not sure that means much these days. :lol:

Murray and Potro are injured badly. Hope this helps ease you anxiety.

habibko
11-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Murray is badly injured? what did I miss? :scratch:

FlameOn
11-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Group B I think.

Dini
11-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Murray and Potro are injured badly. Hope this helps ease you anxiety.

Murray injured and badly? :scratch: I thought that was what the 50 day break was for... :confused:

tnosugar
11-18-2009, 12:30 PM
A for sure

3 time slam winners of this year

not a bad group for Nadal

not a bad group for Djokovic, you mean :)

stebs
11-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Group A has the better players overall as someone said, 3 of the top 5. However, it all depends on what levels of fitness they can bring to the table. If they are all fit then A is harder but it seems very possible that group B could contain players who are playing better tennis right now.

rolandgarros
11-18-2009, 01:11 PM
That which Group is Harder depends on Del Potro's form!

Aenea
11-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Group B is harder for sure, an inform defending champion Djokovic and last year RU Davydenko.
As for Group B Fed vs Murray is gonna be most exciting match.:D
Poor Rafa :sad: Djokovic and Denko own him on HC :sad: and have beaten him many times.

Bilbo
11-18-2009, 01:32 PM
not a bad group for Djokovic, you mean :)

he'll win the title, anyway

TheBoiledEgg
11-18-2009, 01:39 PM
i can see 3 players going 1-2 in Gp B :o

FiBeR
11-18-2009, 01:40 PM
:scratch: Group A all the way.. what do u guys see? It would have been different if Roddick had played...

Ozon
11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
That which Group is Harder depends on Del Potro's form!

which we could see in Paris...

Start da Game
11-18-2009, 01:58 PM
in general, let's be fair to admit that rafa's draw is easier this time for a change........federer who usually enjoys jackshit draws at most of the slams has his work cut out for this one.......murray and delpotro(assuming he is fit) are both solid opponents for either of fed or rafa, speaking in general.......djokovic is the only tough one in the rafa half........davydenko and soderling are just not in the same league........rafa will make them squeal if he plays anywhere near his best but we will have to see how good he turns out.......

Corey Feldman
clearly Fed's

RafitoGoat

Remember what happened last time Nadal played Murray???????? I think Nadal would only have a matchup problem with Del Potro, but not now because Del Potro isn't really Del Potro ;)

BlueSwan
11-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Surely the title must go to one of the top 4. Djokovic is my favourite. We all know what Federer can do if he cares. Nadal is not in great form, but he's still Nadal. Murray is not in top form either, but he's got a decent record against the rest of the top players.

On the other hand Del Potro looks out of sorts since his US Open win, Verdasco can't win against this field, Soderling can pull an upset or two but not win the entire thing and Davydenko usually chokes against the big guns on big occasions.

RafitoGoat
11-18-2009, 02:01 PM
in general, let's be fair to admit that rafa's draw is easier this time for a change........federer who usually enjoys jackshit draws at most of the slams has his work cut out for this one.......murray and delpotro(assuming he is fit) are both solid opponents for either of fed or rafa, speaking in general.......djokovic is the only tough one in the rafa half........davydenko and soderling are just not in the same league........rafa will make them squeal if he plays anywhere near his best but we will have to see how good he turns out.......

And I don't think Federer would have to play his best to beat Verdasco or Del Potro or Murray, this draw was always about who got Djokovic :)

SaFed2005
11-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Honestly, I find any group with Verdasco in it to be easier.

thrust
11-18-2009, 02:05 PM

Harder for Nadal. I doubt he makes the semi's, unless his form has improved greatly since Paris. This, coming from a Nadal fan.

SaFed2005
11-18-2009, 02:08 PM
It sort of also depends on Nadal and Federer's point of view. For Fed both group A and B seem pretty easy. He's got a great h2h against delpo and verdsco from group A. He's got graet h2h vs davydenko and soderling on group B and a pretty good one vs djoko too (although djoko is ahead 3-2 this year). For nadal on the other hand group A is definitely easier. He's got a great chance vs Murray, not too bad of a chance vs delpo and verdasco is a free win since he is not a Spanish player named Ferrer.

RafitoGoat
11-18-2009, 02:08 PM
One thing is for sure, Nadal won't be using the same tactics :yeah:

Byrd
11-18-2009, 02:10 PM
A by a mile, it's open, whilst with B, it's a throw up between who comes 2nd from Soderling and Donkey with Faker taking 1st.

Ivanatis
11-18-2009, 02:10 PM
b easily

peteroger
11-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Exactly what I wanna ask:devil:

Certinfy
11-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Will be interesting to see how Verdasco will play.

RafitoGoat
11-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Will be interesting to see how Verdasco will play.

He's the wildcard, the player we expect to be the easybeat but with the talent to beat anyone really....

duong
11-18-2009, 02:16 PM
in general, let's be fair to admit that rafa's draw is easier this time for a change........federer who usually enjoys jackshit draws at most of the slams has his work cut out for this one

I think quite the opposite : I think this time Nadal is unlucky, whereas recently he had been quite lucky.

And Federer had an awful draw in Wimbledon.

BlueSwan
11-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Will be interesting to see how Verdasco will pray.
Fixed! ;)

Garson007
11-18-2009, 02:17 PM
I hate it when people interchangeably use harder for more difficult. Ugh.

Anyways, this is the most difficult draw imaginable, on both sides. Best draw the WTF could have hoped for.

duong
11-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Nadal is not in great form, but he's still Nadal.

Nadal not in great form is not "still Nadal" : it's Rocky Balboa maybe, but it's not at all the great player he can be sometimes (seldom) :lol:

Federer or Murray have more of an average level which is already very good, Nadal is not like that.

Ad Wim
11-18-2009, 02:21 PM
B ofcourse, A is a cakewalk for Fed and Murray.

Start da Game
11-18-2009, 02:22 PM
And I don't think Federer would have to play his best to beat Verdasco or Del Potro or Murray, this draw was always about who got Djokovic :)

of course you are right but i am not basing my judgment on the current forms.......in general, verdasco(of A) and soderling, davydenko(of B) are just not in the same league of the remaining guys........

duong
11-18-2009, 02:23 PM

yes it can be true, you're absolutely right, since the ATP WTF is a competition where you can afford being 2nd in first round sometimes it's better having a strong opponent in his group (for instance Djokovic for Nadal)

MariaV
11-18-2009, 02:27 PM

Honey, but for that he'd have to make out of the group first (which he won't). :D

Start da Game
11-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I think quite the opposite : I think this time Nadal is unlucky, whereas recently he had been quite lucky.

he would prefer playing davydenko or soderling to delpotro........speaking strictly in general sense, djokovic is the only real opponent to him if rafa brings out his best.......

FiBeR
11-18-2009, 02:49 PM
according to ATP site..

it says group A is strong, and dedicates a paragraph to explain that..

there is no insight about group B being stronger or as strong as it :p

there you go.. (for the blind ones :lol:)

habibko
11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Best draw the WTF could have hoped for.

:yeah:

Foxy
11-18-2009, 03:18 PM
according to ATP site..

it says group A is strong, and dedicates a paragraph to explain that..

there is no insight about group B being stronger or as strong as it :p

there you go.. (for the blind ones :lol:)

Who cares what ATP thinks. It is all about what haters in MTF think.
As one I think A would have been stronger if all the players were healthy. But they are not.

rocketassist
11-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Who cares what ATP thinks. It is all about what haters in MTF think.
As one I think A would have been stronger if all the players were healthy. But they are not.

Foxy logic: Nadal isn't healthy when he loses and Federer's rivals aren't if he beats them.

habibko
11-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Foxy logic: Nadal isn't healthy when he loses and Federer's rivals aren't if he beats them.

he also says Murray is badly injured, while Murray says his preparations have been perfect and he is all set for London, whom should I believe....

latso
11-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Generally speaking we have the most in form player right now (Nole) in a group with lower quality players (at this time).
Did Nole drew the groups? He wouldn't take any other but the ones he got.

Federer's group is much tougher and unpredictable, though it's eventually predictable to have the top 4 guys in the semies

Roger - Rafa
Nole - Muzza

Matt01
11-18-2009, 03:43 PM
B ofcourse, A is a cakewalk for Fed and Murray.

That depends on Del Pony's injury. We've all seen what a healthy Del Pony can do to Federer in the last Slam final.

Everko
11-18-2009, 03:47 PM
B for sure

Voo de Mar
11-18-2009, 03:49 PM
IMO very balanced groups, Davydenko and Soderling would have joined Federer - fortunately it hasn't happened.

Noleta
11-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Definitely group B:eek:

That depends on Del Pony's injury. We've all seen what a healthy Del Pony can do to Federer in the last Slam final.

But he's not;shrug:'i'll be surprised if he managed to snatch one win:sad:

Burrow
11-18-2009, 04:26 PM

:confused:

Commander Data
11-18-2009, 04:29 PM
The vote is mainly about which players have more supporters :lol:

Nole and Rafa Fans consequently voting for group B while Fed and Murray supporters going for A.

The Rafa Nole Fanboys being slightly more numbered.

Certinfy
11-18-2009, 04:32 PM
:confused:
This ^^

sawan66278
11-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Pretty balanced, if you ask me. As has been mentioned, Roger has Murray and Delpo...not easy. Rafa has Novak and Davy, not easy. Soderling? Rafa would sell his first born to get revenge...THAT will be THE match of the round robin. And may be enough to get him in the mode he needs to win.

LoveFifteen
11-18-2009, 04:39 PM
The groups seem pretty even for me. It's not like the WTA championships where one group was full of hacks, and the other was full of contenders.

djb84xi
11-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Nadal's group is a lot harder in my opinion. He's got to go through 3 players who have absolutely had his number, and by no means do I think it will be a breeze. If he doesn't show up as the Rafa of old, he can practically forget his chances of No. 1 or winning London. Djokovic should come out of this section without too many problems, but as far as a 2nd semifinalist goes, I'm clueless. Hopefully Rafa, but my guess would be Davydenko.

Fed's group is hard, but I know he can overcome it. Verdasco's in this section, but he hasn't been the same player as he was at the beginning of the year. Not only that, but Del Potro is in this section. He's not 100% healthy right now, so I don't believe he'll be able to play at his absolute best. Therefore Murray and FedEx should come out of this section without too many problems.

Foxy
11-18-2009, 05:14 PM

That doesn't mean it is not true, ini?

Corey Feldman
11-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Definitely group B:eek:

What!? come on :eek:

roberthenman
11-18-2009, 05:24 PM
A so far

Aenea
11-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Nadal's group is a lot harder in my opinion. He's got to go through 3 players who have absolutely had his number, and by no means do I think it will be a breeze...

I'm not saying Soderling is an easy opponent but h2h is 3-1 Rafa so how could you say Soderling is one of those who "have absolutely had his number"?

Noleta
11-18-2009, 05:57 PM
What!? come on :eek:

I'm kidding you not:eek:

Bascule
11-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Pretty balanced, if you ask me. As has been mentioned, Roger has Murray and Delpo...not easy. Rafa has Novak and Davy, not easy. Soderling? Rafa would sell his first born to get revenge...THAT will be THE match of the round robin. And may be enough to get him in the mode he needs to win.

NO ONE asked you.

Topspin Forehand
11-18-2009, 06:18 PM
What a joke of a draw. Another unfair draw. B has all the tough players in it. A is a joke.

Orka_n
11-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Not one player is in great form for this. Djokovic is probably the closest to it, but anyway. The thing is, group B has 3 players of at least decent form - all except Nadal. Group A has... well, zero? Or maybe one?

Clay Death
11-18-2009, 06:36 PM
NO ONE asked you.

:haha::haha::haha::drink::drink::drink::umbrella:: dog::aparty::rolls::smoke:

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/claydeath/QM9JFCARTU6EICAMSGXH0CA6L12T0CAG9R9.jpg

Voo de Mar
11-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Not one player is in great form for this. Djokovic is probably the closest to it, but anyway. The thing is, group B has 3 players of at least decent form - all except Nadal. Group A has... well, zero? Or maybe one?

It doesn't mean too much. Djokovic had already lost his matches in Madrid and Paris in the 3rd round and later won Masters Cup in a good style...

Orka_n
11-18-2009, 07:33 PM
It doesn't mean too much. Djokovic had already lost his matches in Madrid and Paris in the 3rd round and later won Masters Cup in a good style...You might be right.
I'm curious to see whether Fed actually does suck bad right now or if he can raise his level and win this tourney.

shotgun
11-18-2009, 09:04 PM
The four guys in Group A are out of form. Verdasco will be a definite outsider though.

Group B is more interesting. Rafa could get donkey-punched left, right and center. :eek: :lol:

mandeep
11-18-2009, 10:31 PM
according to the posters on MTF there are currently only 2 healthy players on the ATP tour (Federer and Djokovic). It's funny how many people confuse being out of form with being injured.

The Pro
11-18-2009, 11:11 PM
I think the winner will come from the top group.

I would also like to add that Thierry Henry is a cheating wanker.

Malul
11-18-2009, 11:14 PM
first masters ever with 8 contestents with a winning chance if their bodies holds up to it.

Vaskalainen
11-18-2009, 11:30 PM
i beleive it's pretty balanced also..

http://tennisgondomar.blogspot.com/2009/11/round-robin-groups-announced-for.html

Sunset of Age
11-18-2009, 11:42 PM
I'd call this a rather fair draw. On paper, of course.

At first sight, the job looks like slightly 'easier' for Federer.
I guess he shouldn't have all too much trouble with DelPotro who seems to be both out-of-form and slightly injured (? anyone knows more about this?), so I count that one as a secured win for Federer. Verdasco can be a nasty fellow to deal with, but for me the Big Question will be Murray. He's been flying under the radar lately, of course also due to his wrist injury, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to find out that he actually tanked a bit in Paris, to be able to give it his best here at the WTF... in some way, his own backyard (as long as he wins, of course :angel:).
As such I expect Federer and Murray to get through, but not without some collateral damage on the way.

And if the Montreal-Tsonga-match version of Feds (:o) pops up again, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him go OUT, with Murray and Verdasco going through.

As for Group B: Djokovic in Nadal's group again. WTF, indeed! Well, I know, this is what mathematicians call 'independent chances'. ;)
Still I think that Nadal has good chances to make it out of his group as well (yes, laugh at me! :p). Why? Djokovic seems to be on a major roll right now, but he might just as well be tired, winning two tournaments back-to-back. He's not primarily known for his stamina after all. I see a lot of folks expecting a lot from Söderling. Well I'm not. The guy is back from an injury, and it's his first appearance at the YE tournament - history tells you that debutants most often don't do very well there. Davidenko might well give Nadal a lot of work, yes. But this group is not so much the 'Group of Death' that some make it out to be for Rafa. IMHO, of course. And whoever rules out Nadal makes mistake #1 - never underestimate his grit and fighting spirit!
So, this group is completely open for me, I expect Djokovic and Nadal to come through, with Davidenko as a very dangerous outsider.

Could all be totally OFF of course. This WTF will be a very interesting one. Hopefully no nasty injuries and retirements happening this time. Good luck to all. :)

n8
11-19-2009, 01:42 AM
I hate it when people interchangeably use harder for more difficult. Ugh.

I'm always looking to improve my writing, so thanks for the input. Why is harder not a suitable substitute for more difficult? Can harder not be used in that sense or is it just frowned upon? Is there another way of saying something is more difficult or should I just stick to those two words?

Ozone
11-19-2009, 02:07 AM
It really depends on who will show up. I am directing that to Del Pony and Soderling

djb84xi
11-19-2009, 02:24 AM
I'm not saying Soderling is an easy opponent but h2h is 3-1 Rafa so how could you say Soderling is one of those who "have absolutely had his number"?

I forgot about that stat, so I do apologize. I meant to say Soderling had some serious motivation after handing Rafa a devastating loss on his home turf at the French.

I can't wait for them to face off. Should be fun!:devil:

Corey Feldman
11-19-2009, 02:29 AM
and we all know Soderking should have bombed him at Wimbledon 2007

as usual with Nadal, his record against all players is inflated by clay meetings

Topspin Forehand
11-19-2009, 05:37 AM
and we all know Soderking should have bombed him at Wimbledon 2007

as usual with Nadal, his record against all players is inflated by clay meetings
Or other players numbers are inflated by hard court meetings. Respect the surfaces.

Arkulari
11-19-2009, 05:38 AM
Roger didn't get his turkeys, so I guess a lot of people can be satisfied about it ;)

n8
11-19-2009, 05:51 AM
It's funny, all the articles I've seen rate Group A as harder, but this poll suggests otherwise (44% say Group B, and 32% say Group A after 178 votes).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/atptour/6596135/Andy-Murray-to-face-Roger-Federer-in-ATP-World-Tour-Finals-group-stages.html
http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/News/Tennis/2009/Pretournament/Finals-Draw-Ceremony.aspx
http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=6424

MurrayFan1
11-19-2009, 10:05 AM
A for sure.

Davydenko and Soderling are decent but not a threat at this level.

Garson007
11-19-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm always looking to improve my writing, so thanks for the input. Why is harder not a suitable substitute for more difficult? Can harder not be used in that sense or is it just frowned upon? Is there another way of saying something is more difficult or should I just stick to those two words?
Harder doesn't really fit the role. Grammar wise it would be very wrong, but few people actually care. Personally, it's just that it sounds off more often than not. Hard is one of those words that have in time found itself with way too many roles in our vocabulary.

FiBeR
11-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Only 33% of MTF know about tennis :worship:

Orka_n
11-27-2009, 02:25 PM
A for sure.

Davydenko and Soderling are decent but not a threat at this level.:lol: With current form, they're pretty much the best players in Group B.

Group A: Verdasco can't do crap against higher ranked players. Murray is a bore and Fed isn't in good shape. Delpo is just unpredictable. In group B, the only one who's bad is Nadal, believe it or not. Personal conclusion: Group B is tougher. :/