What will Rafa do at the Group of Death? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What will Rafa do at the Group of Death?

konyalikartal
11-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Acccording to the latest results against them, player forms and injuries etc., this group was the worst case for Rafa and it happened. What will he do at this group?

MIMIC
11-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Lose.

HarryMan
11-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Rafa is the last player that anyone should underestimate, so he could still enter the semi finals from this group. Let's not count him out just yet.

Group of Death? I hope you mean for Rafa because if it was for Fed, Davydenko and Soderling are his pigeons, and this would be considered an easy draw (considering Del Potro has atleast beaten him once).

konyalikartal
11-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Yes I mean for Rafa considering the situations I mentioned above. We will see what happens.

Riffrizzle
11-18-2009, 10:15 AM
No, worst case scenario needs Del Potro. His draw is hardly that bad.

JolánGagó
11-18-2009, 10:38 AM
He's gonna win one set, nuff said.

Dini
11-18-2009, 10:49 AM
He'll win the match against Soderling.

habibko
11-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Pray For Death...

KaiserT
11-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Be lucky if he gets 12 games...... in 3 matches :)

Certinfy
11-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Lose all 3 :p

mr_burns
11-18-2009, 11:02 AM
I think he will beat soederling, although he lsot to him on clay and this is indoors and favours the swede...

Somehow nadal will win this...but I don't see winning the other two...However, one win can be enough for a sf

Novak 30
Rafa 12
Robin 12
Nikola 12

In my view it will depend on the sets then...this is too hard to predict

Garson007
11-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Novak 30
Rafa 12
Robin 12
Nikola 12
My exact feelings, lets not forget though that Djokovic tanked his game against Tsonga after he knew he would qualify. I feel Djokovic would lose one here as well.

n8
11-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I think he will beat soederling, although he lsot to him on clay and this is indoors and favours the swede...

Somehow nadal will win this...but I don't see winning the other two...However, one win can be enough for a sf

Novak 30
Rafa 12
Robin 12
Nikola 12

In my view it will depend on the sets then...this is too hard to predict

Excellent post. We could seriously see a player go through with just one win. I agree with you for the Nadal-Soderling match. Nadal is often good at turning bad losses around against 7-20 ranked guys. Take Tsonga, Gonzalez, Blake and Berdych for example.

Turquoise
11-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Never underestimate Nadal, he's a fighter. I love it when he proves everyone wrong. There's so much to play for: the #1 ranking is in sight, albeit through a tight window of opportunity.

I wish him every success and hope he finishes the year on a high in London and in the Davis Cup finals.

Acer
11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
People seriously think he won't win a single match?

KaiserT
11-18-2009, 11:51 AM
People seriously think he won't win a single match?

Have you watched Nadal recently?

FiBeR
11-18-2009, 12:41 PM
who told you nadal's group is group of death? :retard:

l_mac
11-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Beautiful draw for Rafa.

RafitoGoat
11-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Uncle Toni won't be getting much sleep, he knows its up to him to come up with some fresh tactics for these matchups, though I doubt he will get the number one ranking even if he wins London :) Federer will surely take care of the recently pathetic Del Potro :)

BlueSwan
11-18-2009, 01:09 PM
He'll lose to Djokovic and beat Soderling. That leaves the Davydenko match, where I tend to favour Nadal. So likely he'll go 2-1 and qualify for the semifinals where he'll face either Federer or Murray, I believe.

Byrd
11-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Lose

thrust
11-18-2009, 01:25 PM
He'll win the match against Soderling.

I hope so, though I doubt it.

ivankg
11-18-2009, 01:27 PM
This group is the worst scenario for Nadal. Having in mind that the draw wasnt completely free he could get in his group:
- Djokovic or Murray (in form Djokovic is much harder)
- Davy or Delpo (Delpo is injured and Davy is in solid form)
- Soderling or Verdasco (Soderling beated him in RG SF + Verdasco, like other Spaniards, cant beat Nadal even if he playes with his eyes shut)

I think the group standings will be:
Davy 2-1 (lose to Soderling)
Djokovic 2-1 (lose to Davy)
Nadal 1-2 (beat Soderling)
Soderling 1-2 (beat Davy)

paseo
11-18-2009, 01:57 PM
This would be a group of death for Nadal if Del Potro replaces Davydenko.

Certinfy
11-18-2009, 02:06 PM
This would be a group of death for Nadal if Del Potro replaces Davydenko.Doubt it :sad: Del Potro's form is shitttt!!!:bigcry:

latso
11-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Rafa would have had serious problems in the group of death.
Forunatley for him he is in the other one.

2-1 for him and lost semi against Roger.

normal

latso
11-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Uncle Toni won't be getting much sleep, he knows its up to him to come up with some fresh tactics for these matchups, though I doubt he will get the number one ranking even if he wins London :) Federer will surely take care of the recently pathetic Del Potro :)
What tactics? Rafa can't have any tactics as he can change nothing to his game.
roger can have tactics - he could serve and volley if he needs to, he could slice, he could vary his serve or make drop shots, etc.

Rafa can - play diagonal FHs and down the line BHs, serve on the BH. That's it. Can't change anything

Noleta
11-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Davy wasn't in the best of form in both Valencia and Paris,so Nadal should win,i also see him winning against Soderling for revenge.

Priam
11-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Group of Death or not, the matches still need to be played. An injury here or there (Novak) or choke (Sod?) can see him through to the semis.

madmax
11-18-2009, 03:15 PM
roger can have tactics - he could serve and volley if he needs to, he could slice, he could vary his serve or make drop shots, etc.

Rafa can - play diagonal FHs and down the line BHs, serve on the BH. That's it. Can't change anything

amen to that:worship:

Lalalovesong
11-18-2009, 03:24 PM
He will olny lose against Djokovic.
If djokovic keeps playing like this ofcourse.

siloe26
11-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Beautiful draw for Rafa.

You can't be serious. It couldn't be worse.:mad:

MightyAphrodite
11-18-2009, 04:46 PM
He will kick ass!!! Every time Rafa is slumping and all the haters come out to play, he comes out, top notch and kicks some serious ASS!

scarecrows
11-18-2009, 05:25 PM
He will kick ass!!! Every time Rafa is slumping and all the haters come out to play, he comes out, top notch and kicks some serious ASS!

bamos

Noleta
11-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Vamos

Corrected:p

Orka_n
11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
With Nadal's current form, I believe that Soderlegend and Nole will beat him. The Davydenko-match can go either way.

Getta
11-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Corrected:p

Well, in some of the valleys of South Balkans there is another language, now dying...

Noleta
11-18-2009, 05:51 PM
With Nadal's current form, I believe that Soderlegend and Nole will beat him. The Davydenko-match can go either way.

I think Nadal will do anything but lose to Soderling,again:lol:

Well, in some of the valleys of South Balkans there is another language, now dying...

Eh.........NO.:p

iriraz
11-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Nadal can finish 2-1 and miss the semis but also be 1-2 and get through.This tourney is pretty unpredictable considering guys like Blake or Ferrer got to the finals or Federer loosing from 2 sets up against Nalbandian.

moon language
11-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Looking at those names it's easy to assume he'll lose to them all, but I think there's a chance he'll pull out a surprise or two.

the graduate
11-18-2009, 06:08 PM
he has to do some serious butt picking to win in this group...

born_on_clay
11-18-2009, 06:18 PM
You shouldn't underestimate Rafa
Never

Next

MalwareDie
11-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Mugboar is doomed. He should have lost his first match at Paris. His opponents won't be as likely to gift points and games to him at London.

Fiberlight1
11-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Mugboar is doomed. He should have lost his first match at Paris. His opponents won't be as likely to gift points and games to him at London.

I'm sure you'll be stating something similar after he wins his first match..

It will go something like: "Mugboar is likely Toad/PMK/Djoker are such chokers."

Anyway, I predict 2-1 with a loss to Davy.

Johnny Groove
11-18-2009, 06:49 PM
3-0, baby.

Orka_n
11-18-2009, 07:31 PM
3-0, baby.:lol:

jcempire
11-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Let's go Nadal/

djb84xi
11-18-2009, 07:37 PM
As crazy as it may sound, I will NOT count Rafa out. I had a feeling (as always) that he would get the worst draw, and he always does. Nonetheless, I think he has enough motivation now to meet this challenge head on. Djokovic has absolutely run Rafa off the court, the last two times they've played. Soderling handed Rafa his first ever loss at the French Open, and Davydenko has beat Rafa 3 consecutive times on hard courts. If that's not motivation enough, the No. 1 ranking is on the line in London, so hopefully, Rafa will come back to life and start playing the kind of tennis that took him to No. 1 last season. The odds may be stacked heavily against him, but by NO means will I count him out.

Winning London and/or regaining his No. 1 ranking would be a major confidence booster, heading into the 2010 season.

Vamos Rafa!!!!! You can do it!!! :worship:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w170/jesi3781/tennis/tennis/rafael_nadal-6862.jpg

Certinfy
11-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Who made the draw? Murray?

guga2120
11-18-2009, 07:46 PM
2-1, maybe. He beats Soderling, and Daveydenko in a close one. Novak, repeats Cinci and Paris and only loses a few games.

Clay Death
11-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Let's go Nadal/

its a tall order. there will be time enough for him to win this title. he is without form and fitness so that makes it very tough.

peter fleming was at the paris masters. he said that clay monster hit rock bottom against almagro. and he was right. nadal has never ever been that bad.

lets just say that its best to get the hell out of here in 1 piece and start wroking out on clay for the davis cup final.

gorgo1986
11-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Rafa Nadal has nothing to prove! He is a great champion who finds a way to win in the toughest of situations. He might be in a slump right now but he is someone that you should never count out. IMO he will find a way to advance to the semis but we will have to wait and see. Regardless of the result, his fans will be there to support him.

RafitoGoat
11-18-2009, 11:50 PM
I don't think any of this matters, because Federer will most likely rule out the number one, and the Aust Open probabilities won't be altered by what happens here. Everybody is completely different at the Australian Open, doesn't seem to be based on end of year momentum (going by passed years) :lol:

phelbyn
11-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Let's state the obvious: Nadal will lose to Djokovic. The other two he should easily win at least a set, but it's usually up to the other players when you play Nadal. If they can close out a match when they have the lead, Nadal could easily go 0-3. I predict 1-2.

MrChopin
11-19-2009, 12:03 AM
I think 1-2 is fair. He won't have an easy match of the three, but I think he'll gut at least one out.

cocrcici
11-19-2009, 12:09 AM
2-1

Sunset of Age
11-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Going out on a limb here, but he'll get through, winning two matches. :D

Mechlan
11-19-2009, 01:00 AM
I say 2-1 also. I think he'll beat Soderling, and am unsure about Davydenko, but will give him the benefit of the doubt.

RafitoGoat
11-19-2009, 03:21 AM
Don't forget that Nadal beat Djokovic at the Olympics, so this isn't the mismatch people make it out to be. I think Djokovic plays better on slow hardcourts like Paris, whereas at Shanghai Olympics he lacked the take-back time to hit big forehands because that was the fastest court there is - they tried to copy New York and ended up making it even faster (and then make it slow for Shanghai Masters) :lol:

kengyin
11-19-2009, 03:36 AM
i would say 1-2 and no semifinal for him

RafitoGoat
11-19-2009, 03:46 AM
I hope for Federer's sake that Nadal doesn't make the semis, but I hope for Nadal's sake that Federer doesn't make the semis (for ranking's sake) because I think I heard that Federer is number one if he goes 3-0 in the round-robin, but don't quote me on that (maybe Federer has to win the semis to secure) :haha:

MalwareDie
11-19-2009, 05:07 AM
Don't forget that Nadal beat Djokovic at the Olympics, so this isn't the mismatch people make it out to be. I think Djokovic plays better on slow hardcourts like Paris, whereas at Shanghai Olympics he lacked the take-back time to hit big forehands because that was the fastest court there is - they tried to copy New York and ended up making it even faster (and then make it slow for Shanghai Masters) :lol:

Pro tip: When trying to convince people that you're not a double account, you have to act differently.

RafitoGoat
11-19-2009, 05:12 AM
Pro tip: When trying to convince people that you're not a double account, you have to act differently.

If people want to believe Shanghai is not a double-paced surface then its up to them, not trying to convince them of it being faster at the Olympics but look at the video tape of it and you'll see.

paseo
11-19-2009, 07:17 AM
2-1.

Mechlan
11-19-2009, 07:45 AM

:lol: Good call.

kengyin
11-19-2009, 08:37 AM
no offense but that makes absolutely no sense, since when has shanghai hosted the olympics?????:confused:

RafitoGoat
11-19-2009, 09:23 AM
no offense but that makes absolutely no sense, since when has shanghai hosted the olympics?????:confused:

Yeah your right, I meant China Open having a slow hardcourt and the Beijing Olympics having the fast hardcourt :yeah:

madmax
11-19-2009, 10:53 AM
simple - he will be busy getting blown off the court:Yeaaaah:

Hazem
11-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Group of death ?!!!
It is the group of fun compared to Group A

How the draw could be easy ?? Verdasco instead to Djokovic ?!!

ForehandWinner
11-19-2009, 12:19 PM
ha
Ha

W!MBLEDON
11-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Beautiful draw for Rafa.

about as beautiful as your avatar :haha:

brent-o
11-19-2009, 03:18 PM

Have you even seen Roger play lately? It's been a while since I've seen him "change up his tactics" in order to win. As for your idiotic comments on Rafa, stay away from tennis analysis. Obviously, he wouldn't have won 6 slams if he was that predictable.

Vida
11-19-2009, 03:34 PM
I think rafa will beat soderling.

Clay Death
11-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I think rafa will beat soderling.

i like the way you think but unfortunatley its not going to be that easy. clay monster is easily playing the absolute worst tennis of his life at the moment. he is horribly out of form and badly out of his usual levels of fitness.

and that is not just my opinion. peter fleming--who was doing the commentary at paris masters--said the same thing. our player has hit rock bottom old sport. and a few others who have been watching him have said the same thing as well. even the clay monster himself is actually looking ahead to davis cup now which is a good thing to be honest with you.

i just hope he can start getting out this mess on clay.

Sunset of Age
11-19-2009, 05:08 PM

FedFan_2007? :spit:

Clay Death
11-19-2009, 05:12 PM
FedFan_2007? :spit:

fedfan2007 and gu like mtf so much they have got to be around here somewhere.

Vida
11-19-2009, 05:34 PM
i like the way you think but unfortunatley its not going to be that easy. clay monster is easily playing the absolute worst tennis of his life at the moment. he is horribly out of form and badly out of his usual levels of fitness.

and that is not just my opinion. peter fleming--who was doing the commentary at paris masters--said the same thing. our player has hit rock bottom old sport. and a few others who have been watching him have said the same thing as well. even the clay monster himself is actually looking ahead to davis cup now which is a good thing to be honest with you.

i just hope he can start getting out this mess on clay.

aye, I hope that as well. what is really telling is his own attitude towards future. he was always up-beat, and when asked about his prospect regarding 'how much can he take it, given the taxing style of his play', he was always like w.t.f.?! I'm young and that. now, its worrying cause he really sounded low. there was this interview that came out few days ago where he evn mentions his parents divorce, and how essentially it fell hard on him. I mean he is still a kid - we often forget about these blokes. 22 years, 23 even? thats nothing, its like coming out of university, and for them especially, cause yes they've seen the globe in and out, but basically its all tennis. so what I'm thinking its back to the drawing board with nadal. stick to clay - target RG and that ALONE, rest is it happens it happens, but he should really risk nothing. so in these kind of events, he should see to grab a scalp here and there, like really give his all only on occasion, but should essentially let it fly by.

Sunset of Age
11-19-2009, 05:40 PM
^^ A 23 and 7 months-old is not a kid. In fact, Nadal is rather a veteran by now on the tour, having been on there for some six, seven years, and he's a very mature guy.
He'll deal with his problems, but I think it's a tough call to expect him to get back to his level of 2008. Which is only realistic, as that was truly a stellar year.

Clay Death
11-19-2009, 05:46 PM
aye, I hope that as well. what is really telling is his own attitude towards future. he was always up-beat, and when asked about his prospect regarding 'how much can he take it, given the taxing style of his play', he was always like w.t.f.?! I'm young and that. now, its worrying cause he really sounded low. there was this interview that came out few days ago where he evn mentions his parents divorce, and how essentially it fell hard on him. I mean he is still a kid - we often forget about these blokes. 22 years, 23 even? thats nothing, its like coming out of university, and for them especially, cause yes they've seen the globe in and out, but basically its all tennis. so what I'm thinking its back to the drawing board with nadal. stick to clay - target RG and that ALONE, rest is it happens it happens, but he should really risk nothing. so in these kind of events, he should see to grab a scalp here and there, like really give his all only on occasion, but should essentially let it fly by.

agreed. clay can help him get out of this mess to a considerable extent. clay alone tunes up his massive ground game and furnishes him with the confidence and the momentum to take care of his business. he takes that ground game, momentum, and confidence and runs with for as long as he can.

that is the only winning formula for him. in other words, he cant get out of this funk by trying to do well on hard courts. that is not the way it works for him.

its a little different this time anyway. he has had just too many setbacks this year. it may have been a little different if he had not been forced to exit the game 3 times this year on account of injuries.

this is why losing 3 quick matches here is not a bad thing. he has to start seeing the light. and the light says get on clay and hit a million balls and also improve that fitness. and then but only then, the rest will take care of itself if the will is strong enough.

UncleZeke
11-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Novak 3-0. Others 1-2. Comes down to sets.

the graduate
11-25-2009, 06:43 PM
he has a glimmer of hope the punkass Nole looks out of it.

Orka_n
11-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Bah, made a post but deleted it. I felt I was too annoying. I'll try again.
I don't think Nadal can take Nole. Not even sure he'll beat Davydenko tonight.

selyoink
11-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Can't believe people on here thought Nadull would go through to the semis.

KaiserT
11-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Be lucky if he gets 12 games...... in 3 matches :)

Well done Wafa, 13 games in 2 matches. :worship:

crude oil
11-25-2009, 10:57 PM
WHAT WILL NADAL DO?

DIE?

nadal as of today is the weakest opponent in the WTF, weaker even than alternate.

Even bum knee roddick would have probably been a better challenge to davydenko. :haha:

Art&Soul
11-26-2009, 12:14 AM
With Nadull in this group, this is the weakest group, not death group :)

Del_Toro
11-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Lose.

He's doing that right now. Quite successfully if you ask me :devil: