Do The Mods Think They're Gods? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do The Mods Think They're Gods?

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I started a serious thread pondering why no-one seemed interested in a terrorist attack that took place in the US, killing 13 people. I wondered if the fact that the attack was by a radical Islamist was the reason that people were avoiding the subject, much as the US authorities avoided raising red flags while this murderer was sending out obvious signals. Someone seems to think that wondering out loud about the PCness of MTF is not PC.

Is my thinking not politically correct? If some mod wants to delete such threads as unacceptable subjects for open discussion I wish he or she would step forward instead of hiding his/her shameful behaviour behind anonymity. Maybe I don't belong at MTF. Maybe the mods would just prefer that we all chatter about best asses and biggest bulges. Maybe I don't say ''fuck'' enough in my posts, thus not appearing to be of sufficient intellectual ability to be able to carry on a discussion at the desired MTF level of accomplishment.

Har-Tru
11-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Has that thread been deleted or merged? The second one would be debatable, the first one, baffling to say the least.

In any case, this is the wrong forum for this.

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 12:51 PM
What is the right forum?

Bilbo
11-15-2009, 12:57 PM
people are just tired of your "americans are more valuable than others" topics. many more innocent children die each day. you've never spoken about that.

you need to get a life, bro.

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Stay away, then. And don't call me bro'. Trying to sound American cool doesn't suit you.

Black Adam
11-15-2009, 01:46 PM
You're mad because there are mmt too many republicans to share your views on this forum. Grow up will ya? Nobody really gives a "fuck"because that's very common in the UsA. Folks shooting up each other.

Bilbo
11-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Nobody really gives a "fuck"because that's very common in the UsA. Folks shooting up each other.

Even on CNN they barely talked about it. It's not a big deal.

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't expect you to see my point. Why was the thread deleted? If the mods insist on everyone having the same thoughts, then there would be no need for a forum.

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 02:05 PM
You're mad because there are mmt too many republicans to share your views on this forum. Grow up will ya? Nobody really gives a "fuck"because that's very common in the UsA. Folks shooting up each other.

Do you have any idea how juvenile this sounds? What you are saying is that you only want to read posts that mirror your own views. Babies might think like that, but not grown-ups.

prima donna
11-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Do you have any idea how juvenile this sounds? What you are saying is that you only want to read posts that mirror your own views. Babies might think like that, but not grown-ups.
Well, he is, after all, juvenile.

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 02:45 PM
And the point of the thread is getting sidetracked. What I would really like to see at this point is a moderator post that ''your thread was deleted by me because............."

If this place is to merit the description ''forum'' then the people with the power to stifle opinion should at least have the decency to point out their reasons for taking on the role of thought police.

Har-Tru
11-15-2009, 02:50 PM
What is the right forum?

http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=394

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Mmmm, maybe they could just move my thread there. That would also guarantee that no-one would ever read it.

Henry Chinaski
11-15-2009, 03:36 PM
ridiculous if the thread was deleted even if you didn't have a valid point.

where are all the threads about the larger scale attacks in pakistan in the last couple of months?

The NT forum is pretty dead in general and rarely produces a half decent thread even when it is busy.

If there had been a thread it would've been a long list of RIPs, sad smilie faces and inane crap like "condolences to the families" peppered with the odd dose of trolling from Bilbo and Prima

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 03:55 PM
I often wonder what is in the minds of those people that post, ''my sincerest condolences to the family'' on MTF. Do they think the non-tennis forum is a fax machine or a texting device? Or worse, do they think the family is glued to MTF reading condolence messages?

prima donna
11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
peppered with the odd dose of trolling from Bilbo and Prima
Can trolling be defined as a series of normative statements which purport to contribute to discourse by narrowly ascribing negative characteristics to those who espouse views which differ from yours ?

shotgun
11-15-2009, 04:39 PM
The title of this thread has a nice ring to it. Could well be the name of a pop song.

Zirconek
11-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Guess which of the following affirmatives is correct:

a) Yes, we are Gods.
b) Mods are all communists.
c) Mods are all communists and anti-American. Wait, aren't these words synonymous?
d) CIA asked to delete the thread.
e) This mod deleted the thread because he thought it was a delicate issue.
f) This mod deleted the thread because it's a cloudy day here.
g) Migmatites and granulites are quaternary sedimentary rocks.
h) I don't know who is the "innucent" (check kostas thread for the meaning of the word).
i) You won't have an answer because you are behaving bad.
j) none of them is true, you'll have the answer later.
k) all of them are true, you have all the answers now.

Zirconek
11-15-2009, 04:41 PM
The title of this thread has a nice ring to it. Could well be the name of a pop song.

or "where do the threads go after being deleted?" :)

Ilovetheblues_86
11-15-2009, 04:42 PM
E)

prima donna
11-15-2009, 06:12 PM
And this is supposed to be any less comical than the other reasons listed ?

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 06:17 PM

I wasn't aware bilbo was writing the mod rules.

Bilbo
11-15-2009, 06:26 PM

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 06:43 PM
OK, that wasn't very gneiss of me. They are not necessarily Quaternary.

Bilbo
11-15-2009, 07:01 PM
OK, that wasn't very gneiss of me. They are not necessarily Quaternary.

since when do you speak german? ;)

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 08:23 PM
I did one term in grammar school and switched to Spanish under doctor's orders. The doctor said it was the only known cure for stechschritt.

Sofonda Cox
11-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Guess which of the following affirmatives is correct:

a) Yes, we are Gods.
b) Mods are all communists.
c) Mods are all communists and anti-American. Wait, aren't these words synonymous?
d) CIA asked to delete the thread.
f) This mod deleted the thread because it's a cloudy day here.
h) I don't know who is the "innucent" (check kostas thread for the meaning of the word).
i) You won't have an answer because you are behaving bad.
j) none of them is true, you'll have the answer later.
k) all of them are true, you have all the answers now.

:wavey:

Har-Tru
11-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Is there a rule in MTF that forbids the opening of threads about delicate issues?

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 08:37 PM
I don't percieve a thread about political correctness as being delicate.

I think the rule is that to be a moderator one has to be immature and uninformed, with delusions of grandeur.

Sofonda Cox
11-15-2009, 08:38 PM

I think the rule is that to be a moderator one has to be immature and uninformed, with delusions of grandeur.

pot calling the kettle black, buddy

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 08:42 PM
pot calling the kettle black, buddy

That kind of racial insult is not appreciated here.

Sofonda Cox
11-15-2009, 08:43 PM
That kind of racial insult is not appreciated here.

:haha:

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 08:43 PM
I see that neely is listed as a moderator, but has not been heard from since January. Maybe he reached puberty and was no longer eligible.

Har-Tru
11-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Political correctness is the cancer of 21st century society.

Sofonda Cox
11-15-2009, 08:46 PM
I see that neely is listed as a moderator, but has not been heard from since January. Maybe he reached puberty and was no longer eligible.

omg you accuse mods of being childish, yet your last two posts have been nothing but childish - refer the the well known (non-racist) phrase i posted

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 08:54 PM
I was about to say that at least I was able to make you laugh at my joke.

Now I have this horrible, sinking feeling that you might actually have been laughing AT me for interpreting your pot/kettle quip as an actual racist remark. Am I really dealing with such naivety here? Clearly you were born yesterday, whether it was in the morning or afternoon, I can not be sure.

Har-Tru
11-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Does Yonge refer to Yonge Street in Ontario?

Sofonda Cox
11-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I was about to say that at least I was able to make you laugh.

Now I have this horrible, sinking feeling that you might actually have been laughing AT me for interpreting your pot/kettle quip as an actual racist remark. Am I really dealing with such naivety here? I can not believe you could be so stupid.

No, i got it :p And yes i was laughing at you still.

The NHS rules

Har-Tru
11-15-2009, 09:00 PM
The NHS rules

OMG :haha:

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Does Yonge refer to Yonge Street in Ontario?

Yes, but I lie. I am on Bay, one street over. So,I am familiar with NHL rules, being the next-door-neighbour to the Maple Leafs, but what are the NHS rules?

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 09:10 PM
No, i got it :p And yes i was laughing at you still.

I really don't think you got it. Your pointing out to me that ''pot calling the kettle black'' is a well-known non-racial phrase only makes sense if you really believed there was someone left in the English-speaking world that was uninformed enough not to be familiar with the phrase.

arm
11-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Aren't they? :speakles:

Sofonda Cox
11-15-2009, 09:18 PM
I really don't think you got it. Your pointing out to me that ''pot calling the kettle black'' is a well-known non-racial phrase only makes sense if you really believed there was someone left in the English-speaking world that was uninformed enough not to be familiar with the phrase.

But i felt i had to - because, as you say, there might NOT be someone who has heard of it - and you then effectively calling me a racist

Har-Tru
11-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Bay Street? Bay Street Toronto? Isn't that like the Canadian Wall Street?

out_here_grindin
11-15-2009, 10:08 PM
They are like referees. What they say goes, even if its a bad decision.

Sophocles
11-15-2009, 10:11 PM

I am sure the day will come when some intellectually-challenged local councillor will insist on banning the phrase.

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Bay Street? Bay Street Toronto? Isn't that like the Canadian Wall Street?

Yes and no. The stock exchange was originally on Bay Street and people still refer to the activity on Bay Street. And the street runs for miles, unlike the actual Wall Street.

buddyholly
11-15-2009, 10:57 PM
But i felt i had to - because, as you say, there might NOT be someone who has heard of it - and you then effectively calling me a racist

And you are worried about appearing to be a racist in the eyes of someone who is not familiar with the phrase? In that case we would have to avoid all non-literal colloquialisms. That would indeed be a triumph for the PC crowd.

PETA once lobbied for New York to change the name of a small river - FISHKILL - on the grounds that it was demeaning to fish.

Stensland
11-16-2009, 12:51 AM
we wouldn't need this kind of debate if the mods didn't effectively ban the regular politics thread via moving it to the chat threads section. buddyholly would probably have commented in that very thread. i do get the general rule (once a thread reaches a certain amount of posts it gets locked away) but i think it would be wise to revitalise the original.

Stensland
11-16-2009, 12:54 AM
PETA once lobbied for New York to change the name of a small river - FISHKILL - on the grounds that it was demeaning to fish.

...which is ridiculous, obviously. thank god the non-pc crowd on the other hand never gets carried away. :rolleyes:

buddyholly
11-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Isn't kill German for stream? It is the immigrant German's that insulted the fish, not the real residents of new York.

Peta Pan
11-16-2009, 08:36 AM
And the point of the thread is getting sidetracked. What I would really like to see at this point is a moderator post that ''your thread was deleted by me because............."

If this place is to merit the description ''forum'' then the people with the power to stifle opinion should at least have the decency to point out their reasons for taking on the role of thought police.
It was me that deleted the thread and the reason I have not answered before now is when you posted this thread it was the middle of the night here, and I was sleeping and then I got up and spent the day at work...

The problem with the thread was not the content of the original post, it was that there were quite a number of posts after it that were inappropriate and it was heading in the direction of continuous racism and/or xenophobia.

This rule covers it... and although it says General Messages, the same rule covers the whole forum:
(2) Please do not make discriminatory remarks. These include, for example, discriminatory remarks based on race, ethnicity, descent, sex, sexual preference, or any other degrading or negative remarks about a whole nation or group of individuals. Also be aware of that bringing up political topics, or referring to politics in general, is very often a timebomb waiting to explode. Such discussions have very little content for the intended subject of the "General Messages" tennis forum and could be subject to deletion by a moderator at any time if they're getting out of hand. (most common infraction types: Racism, Inappropriate language, Insulted other member, forum disruptions)

buddyholly
11-16-2009, 03:10 PM
The problem with the thread was not the content of the original post, it was that there were quite a number of posts after it that were inappropriate and it was heading in the direction of continuous racism and/or xenophobia.

This rule covers it... and although it says General Messages, the same rule covers the whole forum:

I can not believe what you are saying. You are saying that if I see a thread that I do not like I can post an offensive remark in it and the entire thread will be removed. Thanks for the tip.

And now you are saying that the caution against political comments has been applied to non-tennis. In effect, political comments in a non-tennis thread can lead to the deletion of the thread.

I am sorry but it is decisions by people like you that have reduced this site to a joke.

Stensland
11-16-2009, 04:06 PM
"kill" isn't german.

Zirconek
11-16-2009, 04:09 PM
I can not believe what you are saying. You are saying that if I see a thread that I do not like I can post an offensive remark in it and the entire thread will be removed. Thanks for the tip.

And now you are saying that the caution against political comments has been applied to non-tennis. In effect, political comments in a non-tennis thread can lead to the deletion of the thread.

I am sorry but it is decisions by people like you that have reduced this site to a joke.

I was talking about migmatites and granulites and you come with schist? :awww: ;)

Her explanation was pretty clear, you didn't get it or you disagree. The problem were the racist and xenophobic posts, many of them. Many times the thread goes off-topic and in some cases, like happened to that thread, it goes dirty. Instead of deleting more than 70% posts in a thread, it's a better/easier solution to just delete it. It's not the mods' fault if it happens, neither it's the fault of most of MTFer's, that many times just don't post because a thread already went nuts.

It's not like political discussion isn't allowed, you can find many political threads in non-tennis. You can also find a thread about political correctness being boring in non-tennis.

Zirconek
11-16-2009, 04:15 PM
E)

Wrong. :p

And this is supposed to be any less comical than the other reasons listed ?

:silly:

What about an Islamophobe writting "my advice is to shoot anyone wearing a turbant", like you did? In my opinion it's tragic, but maybe for you it's comic.

:wavey:

Wrong :wavey:

Is there a rule in MTF that forbids the opening of threads about delicate issues?

No.

Exactly. :D

buddyholly
11-16-2009, 04:26 PM
I was talking about migmatites and granulites and you come with schist? :awww: ;)

Her explanation was pretty clear, you didn't get it or you disagree. The problem were the racist and xenophobic posts, many of them. Many times the thread goes off-topic and in some cases, like happened to that thread, it goes dirty. Instead of deleting more than 70% posts in a thread, it's a better/easier solution to just delete it. It's not the mods' fault if it happens, neither it's the fault of most of MTFer's, that many times just don't post because a thread already went nuts.

It's not like political discussion isn't allowed, you can find many political threads in non-tennis. You can also find a thread about political correctness being boring in non-tennis.

Get serious. The thread was deleted because it was mine. If it had been a thread of a poster approved of by Peta Pan, there is no way the thread would have been deleted. And actually I never saw any of the posts, so I was just cut off and left wondering what I did. Any idea what action was taken against the offending posters? None, I bet. Peta pan has opened a can of worms by declaring that an offending post (in her eyes only) is sufficient to delete an entire thread. Moderators gone crazy in their desire to have MTF be a site for adolescent chitchat.

The rule that Peta Pan applied also refers to the use of crude language. Imagine if I was a moderator and decided to delete every thread with the word ''fuck.'' End of MTF in no time.

Henry Chinaski
11-16-2009, 05:12 PM
I called Har-Tru a greasy spic but I wasn't infracted for it which surely would've made more sense than deleting the entire thread, if the obvious context of the post was missed.

buddyholly
11-16-2009, 06:15 PM
It's OK, you did not capitalise the word Spic and therefore were speaking in general terms. Something like that. Or maybe because the letters ''p'' and ''c'' constitute 50% of the word ''spic'' it passed PP's PC spellcheck with flying colours. Oops, can I make a reference to colour at this site?

Jōris
11-16-2009, 06:22 PM
My posts wasn't infracted either although I thought they would.

It wasn't really an important thread topic to start with.

buddyholly
11-16-2009, 08:07 PM
It wasn't really an important thread topic to start with.:o

And counting to 1,000,000 in increments of one is?

Maybe you meant the thread was of no importance to you. And that may have been what PP was thinking.

Namely: a terrorist attack within the US is not the kind of thing we little, fun-loving MTFers should be concerned about. Better to think of the bigger issues, like Leyton Hewitt's dick size.

shotgun
11-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Namely: a terrorist attack within the US is not the kind of thing we little, fun-loving MTFers should be concerned about. Better to think of the bigger issues, like Leyton Hewitt's dick size.

Well, to be fair this is a tennis forum, and most people come here to talk tennis, unlike you.

Snoo Foo
11-16-2009, 09:01 PM

dude it's totally bogus that your thread got deleted but why do you think the ft. hood shooting is more appropriate for this forum than lleyton hewitt's dick? i'm guessing there are a bazillion websites/message boards/etc. out there where people are engaged in vigorous discussion of the ft. hood attack but this just doesn't happen to be one of them (in part precisely because it is one of few relatively few places where lleyton hewitt's dick size has any relevance). I wouldn't really expect to find a discussion of Ft. Hood on a cooking/fly-fishing/model railroad/derek jeter website either.

Also after wasting an embarrassing amount of my valuable time reading impassioned and terrifying evaluations of tennis player's girlfriends, I don't understand why you're so determined and eager to discuss anything of an even remotely serious or important nature with anyone on MTF.

And just cuz it's not a hot topic on MTF doesn't mean nobody here cares about it. There are lots of places, in The Real World and on the internets, where people discuss things that concern them, and this is the place to be if you are really concerned that Rafael Nadal's hideously ugly shorts are having a negative effect on his tennis.

Joolz
11-16-2009, 09:20 PM

I don't think that was the point, initially. Your complaint and starting point of the the thread was that MTFers take more of an interest in the suicide of a German goalkeeper than in a US army psychiatrist shooting 13 people.

I'd just like to say that it's common as well as simply human to be more interested in the fate of a single person. Even more so, if this person "has a face". If s/he is known to people, if they can in some way relate to him or her. In this case, it was a goalkeeper. Outside of the football-crazy part of the world, it may difficult to understand just how important this sport is to people. And just how singular and disturbing an event the suicide of a successful, generally liked and respected player was. Someone who had a face, who was known to a lot of people. And therefore his suicide was a big shock for a lot of people.

You were far more shocked by the shooting. And you obviously had a problem with not more people sharing your shock and your view of that terrible incident. I may not share your interpretation of it. But I think the reason that thread turned ugly so very quickly is that people don't like to be told what they should care about and what not. Those are personal feelings, anyway. My criticism is not that you were much more affected by the shooting. But if you had for example started your thread, asking how other people saw that incident, instead of accusing MTF as a whole of having lopsided standards, then maybe it wouldn't have ended the way it did.

buddyholly
11-16-2009, 11:07 PM
then maybe it wouldn't have ended the way it did.

I have no idea how it ended. Peta Pan is not saying. But I don't think it ended because it is not permitted to talk about Fort Hood. It ended because other posters violated the rules. They were not punished. Peta Pan chose to punish me.

PS. The Enke suicide just happened to be another thread going at the same time. It was an example of the kind of human tragedy that people like to talk about. But before my thread was deleted I got the impression that people thought it was very much OK to discuss German tragedies, but a tragedy in the US should not warrant a thread.

I very much understand the importance of football. I'm Irish and I'm dying out here. If I had gone into that Enke thread and posted offensive comments about Germans, footballers and people who kill themselves, do you really think Peta Pan would have deleted the thread? Or would she have banned me, the offender?

buddyholly
11-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't really expect to find a discussion of Ft. Hood on a cooking/fly-fishing/model railroad/derek jeter website either.

I wouldn't put a discussion of Fort Hood in the tennis section, but surely the non-tennis section of MTF was designed for tennis fans to discuss issues other than tennis. Which is exactly what I did.
You seem to be arguing that the non-tennis section should be removed and tennis fans interested in any other topic should go elsewhere.
So why do you even look at the threads there?

Snoo Foo
11-16-2009, 11:32 PM
You seem to be arguing that the non-tennis section should be removed and tennis fans interested in any other topic should go elsewhere.

i am most emphatically not arguing that anything should be removed, but since your ft. hood thread was removed (kinda unfairly, in my opinion, but i stopped checking on it after a while so i don't know what the hell was going on in there), i'm suggesting that instead of waging a futile campaign to have it reinstated here maybe you go elsewhere to discuss it. but if you are really determined to discuss ft. hood with demented tennis fans, ok, i don't know why you would want to do that, but go for it :yeah:

So why do you even look at the threads there?

maybe we read this forum differently, i check to see where recent posts are and then read whatever looks interesting at the top of the list. i don't pay attention to what forum it's in but try to make sure i'm not in a player's forum if i'm about to say something nasty about him and that i'm not in GM if i want to say something about a match in progress. OK by you?

buddyholly
11-17-2009, 12:38 AM
OK, but you did suggest that you would not expect to find a Fort Hood thread on a tennis forum.

And I was not at all asking for the thread to be reinstated. I was dumbfounded by Peta Pan's logic, whereby making offensive posts in a thread is good reason to delete a thread. She made no mention of punishment for the offending posters. I don't know if that ever happened before.
So I suppose I was asking what prompted her to pick this thread for deletion and not those threads with an equal or greater content of offending posts. Seems to me she left the door open by setting a precedent whereby an offending post in a thread is enough to delete the entire thread.

So all in all I think she is damaging MTF. When she states that she applies the rules of general messages to non-tennis, she leaves me dumbfounded, given that she thinks that posts of a political nature are akin to time bombs and should be avoided, so as not to offend. How could she be a moderator of a non-tennis forum with views like this? Of course, the same rule says that bad language is not allowed and she chooses to ignore this part.

You suggest I walk away. That may happen, but first I would rather raise my voice in defense of the forum and try not have it destroyed by the kind of selective politically correct thinking that would silence just about everyone.

buddyholly
11-17-2009, 12:41 AM
maybe we read this forum differently, i check to see where recent posts are and then read whatever looks interesting at the top of the list. i don't pay attention to what forum it's in

Do you really mean this? You could make a post in ''Best Song of All Time'' thread and not know if you were in ''tennis'' or ''non-tennis''?

buddyholly
11-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Well, to be fair this is a tennis forum, and most people come here to talk tennis, unlike you.

Almost impossible to answer this kind of blinkered thinking. A non-tennis forum is no place to discuss things that are not related to tennis???????

I like tennis scores, entry lists and contests, all of which I can obtain here, but prefer to discuss non-tennis topical issues rather than discuss whether Federer should retire or whether Tsonga has a better backhand than Soderling. Is that permitted?

Snoo Foo
11-17-2009, 01:00 AM
it's not that I wouldn't "know" but i wouldn't be aware of it, i don't usually check to see whether I'm in "Chat Threads" or "Off Topic" or "Non-Tennis." Sometimes I accidentally make random posts in player forums. I notice thread titles, not what forum they're in. I don't pay much attention to the forum or subforum. I don't even really understand how other people navigate the site by forum.

Snoo Foo
11-17-2009, 02:16 AM
OK, but you did suggest that you would not expect to find a Fort Hood thread on a tennis forum.

in general, as a matter of common sense, i wouldn't expect to find a ft. hood thread on a tennis forum. I would not be surprised to find a ft. hood thread on this tennis forum cuz there are threads about all kinds of crazy shit on this tennis forum.

I don't know if that ever happened before.

yes it has. long ago Clydey started a thread about a graphic Japanese video game in which the object was to collect points by ****** women. Within a few posts the course of discussion had veered into Japanese- and Asian-bashing, e.g., Japanese people are sick, Asian culture is verkokt, etc. Presumably Clydey had not intended to start a Japanese- or Asian-bashing thread but this is what he got. The mods deleted it cuz, as I understood it, the inevitable outrage it was going to cause and the amount of monitoring and reporting it would require would substantially outweigh its contribution to a forum dedicated to men's tennis.

You suggest I walk away. That may happen, but first I would rather raise my voice in defense of the forum and try not have it destroyed by the kind of selective politically correct thinking that would silence just about everyone.

do you sincerely believe that not allowing a thread about fort hood will destroy this forum? your desire to talk about the ft hood shooting with MTFers puzzles me; your regard for the collective intellect and maturity of MTF is much higher than mine. If the powers that be summarily forbid all political discussion on MTF it would in no way "silence" me or diminish my enjoyment of MTF, and i suspect i'm not unique in that regard.

buddyholly
11-17-2009, 02:36 AM
do you sincerely believe that not allowing a thread about fort hood will destroy this forum? your desire to talk about the ft hood shooting with MTFers puzzles me; your regard for the collective intellect and maturity of MTF is much higher than mine.

No, but if the censorship criteria of Peta Pan are equally applied to all threads, then indeed the forum would be destroyed.

I am not at all interested in those websites with all the rabid nuts on them. At this one everyone also has an interest in tennis and it is much the same small group all the time in non-tennis, so it is like talking to people you know. And there are quite a few posters whose comments I enjoy. I can not even imagine ever questioning a person's right to say whatever they want. But it surprises me how many people here say ''we don't want your opinion here. We don't think like you. We want only opinions that we agree with''. Where is the fun in that? I guess what keeps me coming back is that these people would invariably describe themselves as liberal. I find that amusing. They probably don't know that they are the opposite of liberal.

And you still keep repeating that it is strange to you that people want to discuss non-tennis subjects in a non-tennis forum. I guess I would find it strange if they did anything else.

Snoo Foo
11-17-2009, 03:02 AM
I am not at all interested in those websites with all the rabid nuts on them.

what websites are you talking about? if you think MTF is an example of a website which does not have rabid nuts all over it, you and i have drastically different definitions of "rabid nut." From what i can tell most MTFers are uninformed or uninterested in the fort hood incident, as i tried to point out in your original thread.

Where is the fun in that? I guess what keeps me coming back is that these people would invariably describe themselves as liberal. I find that amusing.

So you don't really want any kind of meaningful discussion of the ft. hood shootings, you just want to argue about it with people who are significantly less informed than you, people who don't really know or understand the intricacies of the issue and prolly don't really have that much interest in it. Instead of seeking out people who might have some knowledge and insight on the matter, you stay on MTF and use dramatic statements (e.g., political correctness is destroying MTF) to engage the clueless and then laugh at their ignorance. Whatever floats your boat, dude :yeah:

And you still keep repeating that it is strange to you that people want to discuss non-tennis subjects in a non-tennis forum. I guess I would find it strange if they did anything else.

I have assumed for a long time now that "Mens Tennis Forums" is a tennis forum (and it's not just the name, but the extensive discussions of tennis and tennis players that gave me this impression). You are now telling me that it is a "non-tennis forum." I confess this is the first time i've heard this and i am flummoxed. If it is not a tennis forum, then I guess that explains your determination, but it contains a bizarrely enormous amount of tennis discussion for a non-tennis forum.

Snowwy
11-17-2009, 03:32 AM
This is what happens when you get spoiled bratty kids..they think they deserve or are entitled to all this shit. Just give it a rest buddy, you should talk about ft hood with your friends if you have any..

Peta Pan
11-17-2009, 05:08 AM

And I was not at all asking for the thread to be reinstated. I was dumbfounded by Peta Pan's logic, whereby making offensive posts in a thread is good reason to delete a thread. She made no mention of punishment for the offending posters. I don't know if that ever happened before.
So I suppose I was asking what prompted her to pick this thread for deletion and not those threads with an equal or greater content of offending posts. Seems to me she left the door open by setting a precedent whereby an offending post in a thread is enough to delete the entire thread.

So all in all I think she is damaging MTF. When she states that she applies the rules of general messages to non-tennis, she leaves me dumbfounded, given that she thinks that posts of a political nature are akin to time bombs and should be avoided, so as not to offend. How could she be a moderator of a non-tennis forum with views like this? Of course, the same rule says that bad language is not allowed and she chooses to ignore this part.

I'd like to point out that this is most certainly not the first time that something like this has happened so I most certainly set no such precedent.

I'd also like to mention that the reason I used the General Messages rule is because I'm not quite sure why it was not in the Non Tennis ones too... political threads are not in GM so there is no real reason to have the time bomb reference in GM rules :shrug: There is also no rule against political threads. The time bomb reference is just stating the fact that there is a chance that it may become troublesome and have to be removed at some point in that situation.

Jōris
11-17-2009, 08:51 AM
:o

And counting to 1,000,000 in increments of one is?

Maybe you meant the thread was of no importance to you. And that may have been what PP was thinking.

To be fair, the baiting nature of the thread (blaming other posters of political correctness and naming the incident a terrorist attack when the verdict is still out) was trollish for a start. The OP has the responsibility to keep all responses clean and on the subject but instead you made a trollish response to my troll post and the thread was heading for more trolling, mostly by me and probably some by Chinaski.

I wouldn't have deleted your thread myself, but I admit I find the decision to remove it reasonable.

Ivanatis
11-17-2009, 09:13 AM
To be fair, the baiting nature of the thread (blaming other posters of political correctness and naming the incident a terrorist attack when the verdict is still out) was trollish for a start. The OP has the responsibility to keep all responses clean and on the subject but instead you made a trollish response to my troll post and the thread was heading for more trolling, mostly by me and probably some by Chinaski.

I wouldn't have deleted your thread myself, but I admit I find the decision to remove it reasonable.

completely agree, apart from the line in bold; the opening poster has no more responsibility than any other poster

Jōris
11-17-2009, 09:25 AM
completely agree, apart from the line in bold; the opening poster has no more responsibility than any other poster

This depends on what sort of thread is started imo. The OP in debate threads functions as the discussion leader which to me means they set the tone by example, structure the discussion and keep it on topic.

Kart
11-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I can not believe what you are saying.

Therein seems to lie the problem.

Which seems to be entirely yours.

This thread title is badly worded, condescending and clearly aimed only to provoke. It's a testament to your forum mods patience that they're still indulging you.

buddyholly
11-17-2009, 03:05 PM
I have assumed for a long time now that "Mens Tennis Forums" is a tennis forum (and it's not just the name, but the extensive discussions of tennis and tennis players that gave me this impression). You are now telling me that it is a "non-tennis forum." I confess this is the first time i've heard this and i am flummoxed. If it is not a tennis forum, then I guess that explains your determination, but it contains a bizarrely enormous amount of tennis discussion for a non-tennis forum.

I don't want to belabour the point, but I think it was you that first failed to distinguish between a ''non-tennis forum'' and a ''non-tennis section'' in the menstennisforums site.

So let me put it another way. Are you flummoxed to learn that there is a section for discussing non-tennis subjects at this site?

buddyholly
11-17-2009, 03:09 PM
This is what happens when you get spoiled bratty kids..they think they deserve or are entitled to all this shit. Just give it a rest buddy, you should talk about ft hood with your friends if you have any..

So you think that the subject of Fort Hood is not suitable for a non-tennis discussion board!!!

I can't say I have much respect for anyone who thinks they have a right to tell me what to discuss and where and with whom.

buddyholly
11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Therein seems to lie the problem.

Which seems to be entirely yours.

This thread title is badly worded, condescending and clearly aimed only to provoke. It's a testament to your forum mods patience that they're still indulging you.

Yes, it was clearly aimed to provoke. I think that is the way to stimulate interesting discussion. Maybe people don't care for that kind of stimulation anymore. So why can't they just say away from discussion threads if they don't feel up to the challenge?

Snowwy
11-17-2009, 04:09 PM
So you think that the subject of Fort Hood is not suitable for a non-tennis discussion board!!!

I can't say I have much respect for anyone who thinks they have a right to tell me what to discuss and where and with whom.

Sorry to break this to you, but I think there are zero people who have much respect for you on this board.

What I don't get is why do you want to talk politcs with tennis fans? Would you go to a politics board and talk about tennis? If you seriously would, maybe school is where you belong so you can get yourself an education and maybe a future?

Denaon
11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
This is why I once asked for a BREAKING NEWS sort of forum, where people that want to discuss about political/economic/social issues can do it, no matter what ideologies they have...and keeping the NON TENNIS forum unpolluted, you know ....we need our silly threads gathered :D :yippee:

I don't think there should be any type of discrimination on what to discuss about or not, or who is the thread starter. (of course I don't mean adult stuff, as porn) MTF does not get better by narrowing the type of discussions but expanding them.
Again, I think that these "controverted themes" might better have a special forum.
That's just my point of view. :wavey:

Snoo Foo
11-17-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't want to belabour the point

i beg to differ

Are you flummoxed to learn that there is a section for discussing non-tennis subjects at this site?

no

Kart
11-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Yes, it was clearly aimed to provoke. I think that is the way to stimulate interesting discussion. Maybe people don't care for that kind of stimulation anymore.

It is not difficult to stimulate discussion without provocation in this instance.

This is an open forum designed for you to ask questions. It seems to the moderators are willing to engage you without the petty jibes.

Which brings us back to what I was trying to imply earlier - if you haven't come into the situation with an open mind, why should anyone else ?

So why can't they just say away from discussion threads if they don't feel up to the challenge?

Where is the evidence that people have ever been able to do this ?

This is not a board composed purely of mature adults that can hold a conversation and are resistant to provocation.

It's an internet message board full of people of all ages from all parts of the world with different sensitivities.

So what do you expect ? :shrug:

buddyholly
11-17-2009, 11:54 PM
It's an internet message board full of people of all ages from all parts of the world with different sensitivities.

So what do you expect ? :shrug:

I expect everyone to be able to discuss what they wish, within the bounds of good taste. I think too many posters here would like to limit the topics allowed, having decided that they know best what we all need to be talking about..

buddyholly
11-18-2009, 12:02 AM
What I don't get is why do you want to talk politcs with tennis fans? Would you go to a politics board and talk about tennis? If you seriously would, maybe school is where you belong so you can get yourself an education and maybe a future?

If you don't get it, then just move on and let the people who do get it have their conversations. You act like you are being forced to open every thread.
Where did you get your hands on my education resume? I admit I only have three degrees, including U of T. I like my future. My condo at lakefront is just what I wanted.

Ah, well it seems that that you still can not understand the very simple fact that the ''non-tennis'' section is there to discuss ''non-tennis'' topics with other tennis fans. People are free to open a thread about whatever they find interesting in life? I want to talk politics with people like PD, jolan, chinaski, action jackson, rrainer, cobalt, mirnyi, zirconek and anyone else that probably reads a newspaper in the mornings. Why do you find this so annoying? If you don't feel up to it, just pass on. I do this with a lot of thread titles.

Or let me refute your stance in another way. Pop music is a non-tennis topic. Do you get why tennis fans would want to talk music among themselves? Have you made any posts asking why tennis fans are discussing music on a tennis site? Or is it just politics that gets you all riled up, maybe because you have no contribution to make?

Kart
11-18-2009, 12:28 AM
I expect everyone to be able to discuss what they wish, within the bounds of good taste. I think too many posters here would like to limit the topics allowed, having decided that they know best what we all need to be talking about..

Too many posters ?

Seems to me the only people that limit topics of discussion are the moderators that enforce forum rules.

I can't imagine that constitutes a vast proportion of MTF posters and, to be fair, I would imagine that forum moderators have a better idea of the dynamics of the forum than you or I do.

So it makes sense that they're the ones setting the limits does it not ?

buddyholly
11-18-2009, 02:44 AM
I said ''would like to limit'' in a joking reference to people like Snowwy above who can not understand why people talk about non-tennis in a non-tennis area. Snowwy thinks anyone who talks about non-tennis subjects in non-tennis needs to go to school and get an education.

I agree about the moderators, but I think that once posters become aware that by acting badly in a thread they can get the whole thread deleted, it could lead to mayhem. So far I am not aware of any punishment for the posters that caused my thread to be deleted.

Joolz
11-18-2009, 08:16 AM
But before my thread was deleted I got the impression that people thought it was very much OK to discuss German tragedies, but a tragedy in the US should not warrant a thread.And I tried to explain why I think that there were different reasons for the reactions you got.

I very much understand the importance of football. I'm Irish and I'm dying out here. If I had gone into that Enke thread and posted offensive comments about Germans, footballers and people who kill themselves, do you really think Peta Pan would have deleted the thread? Or would she have banned me, the offender?No, your posts would've been deleted. Just like the mods first deleted single posts on your thread before closing it. And maybe you would've received an infraction at some point.
But in the case of your thread, it wasn't just one poster trying to disrupt an ongoing discussion. I'm not saying that I liked those reactions to the OP but I also think that provoking people is maybe not exactly the best way to get them to talk about a subject that's important to you.

Kart
11-18-2009, 09:31 AM
I said ''would like to limit'' in a joking reference to people like Snowwy above who can not understand why people talk about non-tennis in a non-tennis area. Snowwy thinks anyone who talks about non-tennis subjects in non-tennis needs to go to school and get an education.

I'm not sure why (if) what he / she says bothers you that much but the simple solution to that is to ignore him / her once you find further discussion is futile. I believe this site has a 'user ignore' option that would probably assist you there.

I agree about the moderators, but I think that once posters become aware that by acting badly in a thread they can get the whole thread deleted, it could lead to mayhem. So far I am not aware of any punishment for the posters that caused my thread to be deleted.

Well you have to trust your moderators to take steps to prevent that mayhem don't you ?

The nature of these kind of forums (as I see it) is that there is turnover of posters and attitudes. Sooner or later, someone finds a way around the rules and so the moderators have to be flexible and adapt them as a new threat to the forum atmosphere reveals itself.

Regarding punishment for other posters, I'm not sure quite why you should be made aware of other posters' reprimands - again it comes down to trustsing your moderators to act accordingly. My original point was about your method of engaging forum moderators (which was an ill-advised choice if you really wanted constructive feedback) and not about particular moderator decisions.

buddyholly
11-18-2009, 10:58 AM
No, your posts would've been deleted. Just like the mods first deleted single posts on your thread before closing it. And maybe you would've received an infraction at some point.
But in the case of your thread, it wasn't just one poster trying to disrupt an ongoing discussion. I'm not saying that I liked those reactions to the OP but I also think that provoking people is maybe not exactly the best way to get them to talk about a subject that's important to you.

Do you mean I would have got an infraction because of what someone else posted on a thread I opened? Not sure I like that idea.

I really don't know what was posted in the thread. Peta Pan said that she was in Australia and when her day started the thread was full of offensive posts. But the problem is that I was then asleep and so was left completely in the dark (pun intended) as to what happened. However, the detective in me can figure out that if I was asleep, the offenders probably reside in Europe.

Joolz
11-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Do you mean I would have got an infraction because of what someone else posted on a thread I opened? Not sure I like that idea.No, that part was a reply your question what would've happened if you had posted offensive stuff in the Enke thread.

buddyholly
11-18-2009, 02:13 PM
No, that part was a reply your question what would've happened if you had posted offensive stuff in the Enke thread.

Gotcha! And I previously overlooked your post above where you said that individual posts were deleted before the entire thread. I missed that.

That is kind of good news and bad news. It tells me that any thread that appears to be pro-American (and I am European) will probably be doomed to deletion due to the activity of the ''liberals'' who apparently think that stomping out opinions that do not appeal to them is what liberals do.

Joolz
11-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Gotcha! And I previously overlooked your post above where you said that individual posts were deleted before the entire thread. I missed that.

That is kind of good news and bad news. It tells me that any thread that appears to be pro-American (and I am European) will probably be doomed to deletion due to the activity of the ''liberals'' who apparently think that stomping out opinions that do not appeal to them is what liberals do.

So you're accusing others of making stupid generalisations and yet you're doing the same thing.

Zirconek
11-18-2009, 05:11 PM

:rolleyes:

prima donna
11-18-2009, 06:06 PM
This talk of liberalism, namely as it pertains to MTF, is rooted in Orwellian logic. Those who fancy themselves liberals often are mere authoritarians whose ideology runs contrary to their words and actions.

Moreover, I think it has a great deal to do with an inability to formulate a cogent argument in support of such radical views. It's no secret that most of the conservatives on this forum (there were three of them the last time I took time to count) happen to be adults, whereas "liberals" tend to be trigger-happy children who have come to appreciate the intricacies of Karl Marx's Das Kapital through countless hours spent reading in their parents' cellar.

I wasn't at all being facetious when I alluded to the communist leanings of a certain moderator. I mean it, these people have no recourse but to delete and ban.

Zirconek
11-18-2009, 06:32 PM
This talk of liberalism, namely as it pertains to MTF, is rooted in Orwellian logic. Those who fancy themselves liberals often are mere authoritarians whose ideology runs contrary to their words and actions.

What you call "liberals" care much more about freedom of speech and democracy than you want to make people believe. Certain ideas, common in Europe in the 30's, are a danger to democracy though, but people who support these ideas play the victim card and say they are being persecuted when they actually practice intolerance and hatred.
And MTF is not "liberal", it's you who is from the extreme right wing, even though you prefer the softer word conservative.

Moreover, I think it has a great deal to do with an inability to formulate a cogent argument in support of such radical views. It's no secret that most of the conservatives on this forum (there were three of them the last time I took time to count) happen to be adults, whereas "liberals" tend to be trigger-happy children who have come to appreciate the intricacies of Karl Marx's Das Kapital through countless hours spent reading in their parents' cellar.

I'm pretty sure you don't have an academic formation as solid as mine, and your try of making the "opposition" looks childish is, actually, very poor and childish.
Your obnoxious language is funny, though.

I wasn't at all being facetious when I alluded to the communist leanings of a certain moderator. I mean it, these people have no recourse but to delete and ban.

Wrong, the fact I'm answering your post here show that you're, again, far from reality.

prima donna
11-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Certain ideas, common in Europe in the 30's, are a danger to democracy though, but people who support these ideas play the victim card and say they are being persecuted when they actually practice intolerance and hatred.
Your perverse logic is demonstrated by such a statement. In short, you intend to suggest that conservative ideology ought to be muzzled in the name of political correctness, which is merely a conduit through which to impose your will upon others.

And MTF is not "liberal", it's you who is from the extreme right wing, even though you prefer the softer word conservative.
Political norms vary from country to country, therefore you come off as foolish in your attempt to tar my views as extreme.

I'm pretty sure you don't have an academic formation as solid as mine
Surely. After all, Stanford, NYU Law and Columbia Business do not offer academic opportunities comparable to those offered by elite institutes located in South America. Never mind years of catholic and boarding school, much less the time spent in three different countries.

Yes, between the two of us, the ruffian is I. You've proven my point by resorting to such infantile quarreling -- I am a husband and father, of what importance is your personal life to me ? I judge you only by the silly things which you are apt to spew on this forum, that is all.

Your academic "formation" is immaterial.

Zirconek
11-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Your perverse logic is demonstrated by such a statement. In short, you intend to suggest that conservative ideology ought to be muzzled in the name of political correctness, which is merely a conduit through which to impose your will upon others.

Since I don't think you have cognitive problems, I guess you're trying again to twist things. So typical.

Political norms vary from country to country, therefore you come off as foolish in your attempt to tar my views as extreme.

You have a point, but you're still extreme right wing for American standards.

Surely. After all, Stanford, NYU Law and Columbia Business do not offer academic opportunities comparable to those offered by elite institutes located in South America. Never mind years of catholic and boarding school, much less the time spent in three different countries.

Yes, between the two of us, the ruffian is I. You've proven my point by resorting to such infantile quarreling -- I am a husband and father, of what importance is your personal life to me ? I judge you only by the silly things which you are apt to spew on this forum, that is all.

Wow, I'm so impressed. :spit:

prima donna
11-18-2009, 08:50 PM
You have a point, but you're still extreme right wing for American standards.
I'm a pro-choice Republican who grew up admiring John F. Kennedy. Are you kidding ?

Oh, that's right: opposition to terrorism and advocacy of fiscal conservatism denote a sort of right-wing extremism.

Wow, I'm so impressed. :spit:
You should see the wife's résume -- even better.

buddyholly
11-19-2009, 12:23 AM
So you're accusing others of making stupid generalisations and yet you're doing the same thing.

Not sure what you mean. But if it is because I say that the people here who most often call for censorship of views different from their own would describe themselves as liberal, then I stand by that.

Joolz
11-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Not sure what you mean. But if it is because I say that the people here who most often call for censorship of views different from their own would describe themselves as liberal, then I stand by that.

It's about accusing others of having simply ruined your thread for the sake of being "liberal". (Whatever you mean by that.)
And never allowing for the possibility that maybe, there were different reasons for it.
I've tried to tell you (in my previous posts) what I think was behind it.
And that's really all I can do.

Kart
11-19-2009, 08:11 PM

I've read this post three times but I don't actually see a constructive point.

Perhaps you could clarify it for me ?

prima donna
11-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Perhaps you could clarify it for me ?
Shall I prepare your bib and utensils as well ?

ryan23
11-19-2009, 11:37 PM
I started a serious thread pondering why no-one seemed interested in a terrorist attack that took place in the US, killing 13 people. I wondered if the fact that the attack was by a radical Islamist was the reason that people were avoiding the subject, much as the US authorities avoided raising red flags while this murderer was sending out obvious signals. Someone seems to think that wondering out loud about the PCness of MTF is not PC.

Is my thinking not politically correct? If some mod wants to delete such threads as unacceptable subjects for open discussion I wish he or she would step forward instead of hiding his/her shameful behaviour behind anonymity. Maybe I don't belong at MTF. Maybe the mods would just prefer that we all chatter about best asses and biggest bulges. Maybe I don't say ''fuck'' enough in my posts, thus not appearing to be of sufficient intellectual ability to be able to carry on a discussion at the desired MTF level of accomplishment.

It worries me that i only ever see you post about politics on a tennis forum, why dont you go to a specialist forum where you and thousands others can talk about these issues all day long, i have no idea why you would go on a tennis forum to talk about everything BUT tennis :rolleyes:

ryan23
11-19-2009, 11:43 PM
And please dont take what i said the wrong way, e.g trying to get you of this site, i didnt mean anything like that, just you would have more freedom talking about such issues on a political forum and then you could still come here and talk tennis and not so much the politics of this world

buddyholly
11-20-2009, 03:06 PM
For about the twentieth time, I think that is why they call it ''non-tennis.''

I am surprised at the number of people who suggest going elsewhere and keep insisting that this is a forum exclusively for tennis. Do you think the non-tennis section should be dropped, or maybe there should be controls on the thread subjects?

Sorry that you worry about me, but I actually post a lot of non-political stuff and I also fully participate in the contests. I also like knowing that what I discuss in non-tennis is being discussed with other tennis fans. Politics is not such a big deal for me, I have no desire to go to an all-political site. This could be the perfect place, but unfortunately some people want have the site tailored to their specifications, instead of having open discussion.

I play tennis, I watch tennis, I follow tennis results. What I do not do is chat about who is best, who is worst, who is the most handsome. So General Messages is not my cup of tea.

buddyholly
11-20-2009, 03:11 PM
And please dont take what i said the wrong way, e.g trying to get you of this site, i didnt mean anything like that, just you would have more freedom talking about such issues on a political forum and then you could still come here and talk tennis and not so much the politics of this world

Well I guess this repeats what I said above. I do not want to come here and talk fan-type stuff about individual players. I want player entry lists.
Maybe I can take the solution you suggest for me and suggest that you stay in General Messages. Then you would not read any political opinions and would not have to worry about me.

Henry Chinaski
11-20-2009, 04:31 PM
yeah the "this is a tennis forum" argument is pretty weak. I enjoy the football threads here for example. Yeah I could go elsewhere to discuss it but I like shooting the shit with the posters here about football. The same applies to politics occasionally.

star
11-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Well I guess this repeats what I said above. I do not want to come here and talk fan-type stuff about individual players. I want player entry lists.
Maybe I can take the solution you suggest for me and suggest that you stay in General Messages. Then you would not read any political opinions and would not have to worry about me.

See, you are the opposite of me. I want mostly to talk about tennis related things and not about non-tennis things. I don't care what happens in non-tennis because I only go there occasionally. It seems sort of silly to set up an area for non-tennis discussions and then say one is limited because this is a tennis board.

Also maybe not so smart from an economic point of view.

ryan23
11-20-2009, 04:57 PM
yeah the "this is a tennis forum" argument is pretty weak. I enjoy the football threads here for example. Yeah I could go elsewhere to discuss it but I like shooting the shit with the posters here about football. The same applies to politics occasionally.

Offcourse its not just a tennis forum but surely if you wanna talk mainly about an issue thats not tennis you would be better of going to a specialist forum when there would be more people interested in the subject,

ryan23
11-20-2009, 04:59 PM

Thats a very fair point, like i said i didnt mean any offense by it

~*BGT*~
11-20-2009, 09:57 PM

PD, you crack...me...up. :rolls:

Kart
11-20-2009, 10:08 PM

You can do that as well if you feel the need to serve me, after you answer the question.

For about the twentieth time, I think that is why they call it ''non-tennis.''

I am surprised at the number of people who suggest going elsewhere and keep insisting that this is a forum exclusively for tennis. Do you think the non-tennis section should be dropped, or maybe there should be controls on the thread subjects?

Sorry that you worry about me, but I actually post a lot of non-political stuff and I also fully participate in the contests. I also like knowing that what I discuss in non-tennis is being discussed with other tennis fans. Politics is not such a big deal for me, I have no desire to go to an all-political site. This could be the perfect place, but unfortunately some people want have the site tailored to their specifications, instead of having open discussion.

I play tennis, I watch tennis, I follow tennis results. What I do not do is chat about who is best, who is worst, who is the most handsome. So General Messages is not my cup of tea.

Surely your forum moderators are here also though because they are interested in tennis ?

The fact that this is a primarily tennis message board is important. The reason for that is not that people shouldn't talk about other topics but that the moderators are also here because their primary interest is tennis.

So they may not be as interested in non-tennis topics or indeed the finer points of certain political discussions. However, they still have to read and respond to complaints about them as it is part of their responsibilities to maintain some kind of order.

Again, this comes down to expectation. Were this a political board, your grievance would be more valid. However it is not and, more importantly, it is not claiming to be.

Bilbo
11-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Offcourse its not just a tennis forum but surely if you wanna talk mainly about an issue thats not tennis you would be better of going to a specialist forum when there would be more people interested in the subject,

agreed and if he's smart he's going to a pro-american forum

shotgun
11-21-2009, 12:07 AM

The only reason people are bringing this up is because BH sarcastically suggested MTFers should be more concerned about serious topics rather than lighter tennis topics.

buddyholly
11-21-2009, 03:25 AM
The only reason people are bringing this up is because BH sarcastically suggested MTFers should be more concerned about serious topics rather than lighter tennis topics.

I don't think I ever told MTFers what they should do, I may have commented on what they do do.

On the contrary, the theme of this thread has mostly been other people telling me I should not be posting non-tennis remarks in a non-tennis area.

ryan23
11-21-2009, 09:46 AM
agreed and if he's smart he's going to a pro-american forum

Or pro right-wing ;)

buddyholly
11-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Or pro right-wing ;)

You (and bilbo, of course) are maybe missing the point that a ''forum'' is a place for all opinions to be heard. Don't confuse a forum with a propaganda site or a fan site.

What you think I should do is the equivalent of suggesting that all General Message posters go to their own favourite player's website, where they can be sure that the only opinions heard will be just like their own.

That would be bland, boring, comforting and lacking stimulation. But hey, maybe that is what you are looking for.

There's no need to wink when you mention the right. Economically I am definitely on the right. Personal lifestyle is another story.

gulzhan
11-28-2009, 08:41 AM
For the beginning, I'd like to know who of the mods take this or that action? When I got banned (yes, hard to believe it but I once was :angel), Scoobs wrote me a message. So, I knew the author. Now, who closes the threads? Who closed my nice and funny thread about semifinals at WTF? I'd like to know who is that idiot, if possible, please :wavey:

jonathancrane
11-28-2009, 08:58 AM
For the beginning, I'd like to know who of the mods take this or that action? When I got banned (yes, hard to believe it but I once was :angel), Scoobs wrote me a message. So, I knew the author. Now, who closes the threads? Who closed my nice and funny thread about semifinals at WTF? I'd like to know who is that idiot, if possible, please :wavey:

Why were you banned?

gulzhan
11-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Why were you banned?

I said "all the Westerners are hypocrites" :o My bad, I should have said-- "all the Westerners who post here are hypocrites" :lol: I don't regret it, it was when I was having a War for the Dubai tournament :rocker2:

And yes, hypocrisy makes me so mad that I don't care about any politeness and political correctness :p Unf. Americans, and most of the mods are Americans as I understood, are the biggest hypocrites of all the nations. It's cultural. Sometimes I think they managed to pursuade themselves they have roses instead of crap coming out of their arses (copyright George, I just slightly changed the phrase ;)).

Lee
11-28-2009, 04:22 PM
I said "all the Westerners are hypocrites" :o My bad, I should have said-- "all the Westerners who post here are hypocrites" :lol: I don't regret it, it was when I was having a War for the Dubai tournament :rocker2:

And yes, hypocrisy makes me so mad that I don't care about any politeness and political correctness :p Unf. Americans, and most of the mods are Americans as I understood, are the biggest hypocrites of all the nations. It's cultural. Sometimes I think they managed to pursuade themselves they have roses instead of crap coming out of their arses (copyright George, I just slightly changed the phrase ;)).

:spit:

The 3 administrators of this forum are all Europeans. 2 supermods are South Americans and another an Australian. Even you count all the moderators (including only player forums plus a Canadian), there are only 5 moderators from North America. So 5 out of 17 moderators in this forum are considered as most? Even we stretch it more to include the 2 South Americans as the Americans you're referring to, which I highly doubt, your statement, the bold part, is still false.

gulzhan
11-29-2009, 04:24 AM
:spit:

The 3 administrators of this forum are all Europeans. 2 supermods are South Americans and another an Australian. Even you count all the moderators (including only player forums plus a Canadian), there are only 5 moderators from North America. So 5 out of 17 moderators in this forum are considered as most? Even we stretch it more to include the 2 South Americans as the Americans you're referring to, which I highly doubt, your statement, the bold part, is still false.

That'd be more transparent if you say how many of those 5 monitor GM and Non-Tennis ;)

Also, get one East-European and one Asian and I will feel less discriminated :p

Lee
11-29-2009, 07:54 AM
That'd be more transparent if you say how many of those 5 monitor GM and Non-Tennis ;)

Also, get one East-European and one Asian and I will feel less discriminated :p

The transparency is here, only you don't bother to look it up. It's extremely easy for you to find it out yourself because the link is at the bottome of the home page of this forum but anyway, here's the link which exists for many years already.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showgroups.php

You can see for yourself which moderators are responsible for which forums.

It shows cleary that other than the supermods and admins, Raging Lamb is the only mod from North America, a Canadian, who moderates GM only. All other moderators for GM and NT are 3 Europeans (SloKid is from Slovenia who may qualify as East European, I'm not sure so I don't really want to assume), 2 South Americans and 1 Australian.

But if you prefer to belief/think yourself being discriminated on this board because of where you're from, there's nothing in this world will change your mind.

Peta Pan
11-29-2009, 08:15 AM
The transparency is here, only you don't bother to look it up. It's extremely easy for you to find it out yourself because the link is at the bottome of the home page of this forum but anyway, here's the link which exists for many years already.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showgroups.php

You can see for yourself which moderators are responsible for which forums.

It shows cleary that other than the supermods and admins, Raging Lamb is the only mod from North America, a Canadian, who moderates GM only. All other moderators for GM and NT are 3 Europeans (SloKid is from Slovenia who may qualify as East European, I'm not sure so I don't really want to assume), 2 South Americans and 1 Australian.

But if you prefer to belief/think yourself being discriminated on this board because of where you're from, there's nothing in this world will change your mind.
Actually, that's really not correct anymore. There are no specific moderators for GM or NT, all of us that formally were are supermods so we all help out in all areas ;)

Lee
11-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Actually, that's really not correct anymore. There are no specific moderators for GM or NT, all of us that formally were are supermods so we all help out in all areas ;)

Are you saying player forum mods like Jess, Jiat, Deb etc are also moderators for all forums too? Because I don't think they have involved in moderating GM or NT :shrug:

Peta Pan
11-29-2009, 08:31 AM
Are you saying player forum mods like Jess, Jiat, Deb etc are also moderators for all forums too? Because I don't think they have involved in moderating GM or NT :shrug:

No... I said GM and NT mods don't have specific moderators anymore because they were the areas being talked about. You mentioned that Raging Lamb moderated in only GM but that isn't true anymore... so I was just mentioning that in that way, that list is not really in date anymore ;)

Lee
11-29-2009, 08:40 AM
No... I said GM and NT mods don't have specific moderators anymore because they were the areas being talked about. You mentioned that Raging Lamb moderated in only GM but that isn't true anymore... so I was just mentioning that in that way, that list is not really in date anymore ;)

OK! So basically the list of moderators for GM and NT is basically the same. The admin, supermods and RL. Anyone else?

It's really late here so my brain may not be working correctly :p

Peta Pan
11-29-2009, 08:43 AM
OK! So basically the list of moderators for GM and NT is basically the same. The admin, supermods and RL. Anyone else?

No, there is no specific GM or NT mod, RL, Fergie, Zirconek were all GM and I was NT but now we are all Supermods so there is no one specific for those forums anymore, we all help in all sections.

Lee
11-29-2009, 08:57 AM
OK, so other than RL, Fergie, Zirconek, Neely, SloKid, Carlita and you, anyone else can moderate GM and NT?

Peta Pan
11-29-2009, 09:12 AM
no

gulzhan
11-29-2009, 12:48 PM
The transparency is here....

Style :drool: You must be an official in real life too, Lee :lol: We are not gonna discuss my preferences here, Ms. Mod. I filed a complaint, you responded, thank you.

Now for the sake of transparency please tell me who closed my thread about semifinals at WTF and why? Or give me a link where to find that info please, I'll look myself.

Edit: Just remembered that Peta is very nice :o I never look at the names of posters, so I looked at pm and confirmed that Scoobs is a bad cap (hope that's not an offense, Edu? :unsure:), and Peta is a good one.

Zirconek
11-29-2009, 01:33 PM
The thread was deleted because it was against forum rules. You're long enough in this forum to know the rules, I guess. If not, please check the rules in General Messages and in Announcements forums.

I don't know who deleted your thread and actually it doersn't matter, if I came across your thread before the other mod who deleted it, I'd do the same, since your thread was clearly inappropriate and, again, I would be very surprised if you really didn't realize it was a thread born to be deleted.

May I ask you to please watch your language, if you call mods idiots, won't expect feedback, especially when you're clearly wrong. May I say also that you are the one who are displaying a very poor manicheism about nationalities.

gulzhan
11-29-2009, 01:46 PM
No, I don't know what rules my thread violated. Not because I don't read the rules but because I get rules from the existing practice.

Yes, you may ask, Edu. I may not agree. What's bad with the word "idiot"? That's a medical term the use of which means the poster believes the person (who was called by such a term) took an action without any trace of thinking.

No, you may not, Edu. Don start accusations here, it's very cheap to change the route of discussion.

Snowwy
11-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Canada doesnt equal US, unless Kazahkstan equal Russia. Seems someone might be slightly uneducated..

gulzhan
11-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Canada doesnt equal US, unless Kazahkstan equal Russia. Seems someone might be slightly uneducated..

Kazakstan equals Russia on MTF :rocker2:

Hope we don't violate some rules here, Snowwy :unsure: :scared: