Confessions of a tennis dad [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Confessions of a tennis dad

Arkulari
11-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Since we're having a discussion about Rafa's latest interview, I think we could have the same about Roger's ;)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/paul_kimmage/article6917213.ece?token=null&offset=60&page=6

(thanks Nadine and Alex for the link)

Roger Federer: confessions of a tennis dad
First he wins it all; now he’s embraced fatherhood. In a rare and revealing interview, the Swiss explains himself

How did Roger Federer become the greatest? He was not born in Sweden (Bjorn Borg). He was not shaped by a dominant parent (Ivan Lendl). He is not fuelled by rage (Jimmy Connors) or tortured by demons (John McEnroe). He has never had sex in Nobu (Boris Becker), smoked crystal meth (Andre Agassi) or been afflicted with odd sleeping habits (Pete Sampras). He is as affable as Tim Henman.

Somebody will have to explain him.

We meet in Basel, the city of his birth. He is looking fit and relaxed after a lengthy break from the most remarkable season of his life. It began in tears at the Australian Open in February, when, six months after losing the greatest final ever seen at Wimbledon, he lost again to Rafael Nadal.

It was his fifth successive defeat to Nadal in a final, and it raised an interesting question: how could he be deemed the best of all time when he might not be the best of his own era? But the obituaries were premature.

In April, he married his long-time girlfriend, Mirka Vavrinec, and a month later beat Nadal to win his first tournament of the year at Madrid. In June, he won his first French Open and equalled Sampras’s record of 14 Grand Slam titles. In July, he beat Andy Roddick in an epic final at Wimbledon to surpass the record, and became a father two weeks later when Mirka gave birth to twins. In September, he lost the US Open to Juan Martin Del Potro — his sixth consecutive appearance in the final.

He did not marry a supermodel (Roddick). He does not make fun of his rivals (Novak Djokovic) or pick continually at the crack in his backside (Nadal). He has worse fashion sense than Andy Murray.

How does he explain it?

He begins with a story about a script he received for a commercial for Nike with Tiger Woods in 2007. “We had these different lines,” he explains,” and I was reading through it and said I’d like to take the text where it says, ‘I love winning’. And they said, ‘Well, that works perfectly because Tiger says he hates losing’. So that’s a part of it, I suppose. I feel I’m the ‘love winning’ rather than the ‘hate losing’ type.”

“That’s interesting,” I observe, “because it would be easy to consider them to be the same thing.”

“No, I see it in two different ways, but both work.”

“McEnroe said this about you: ‘One of the important things [Federer] has over everyone, and he has it more than any other player I’ve seen since Connors, is his love for the sport. Real love. He loves to be out there, to be around tennis, everything about it . . . There is none of the angst that I had, no demons playing with him’. Can you explain that love?”

“Well, I’m a positive person, a very positive thinker,” he replies. “That’s why I like the more positive approach of ‘I love winning’, because to hate losing, to me, is a bit negative. I guess my love for the sport started as a little boy watching Becker and Edberg facing off in the Wimbledon final. I dreamed about it but I never thought it would happen to me. It’s so difficult to keep winning and to keep your love for the game because of all the travelling and the sacrifices, but I just said, ‘I’m not going to let that happen to me. I’m going to take a positive approach that travelling is great and that I’m going to see different cultures and places I would never see if I wasn’t a tennis player’. My wife loves it. I love it, so ‘let’s have a good time because it’s not going to last until I am 70’. And so far that approach has worked for me.”

“A lot of the great tennis stars have had some sort of kink. McEnroe referred to it in that quote: they were all driven by demons.”

“Yeah, he did have some,” Federer responds with a laugh.

“You seem so normal but have achieved more.”

“It was difficult in the beginning,” he says. “People were always saying you can’t be a nice guy and be No 1 in the world. And I was like, ‘So, I have to be mean? Is that what it takes?’ We had Connors and McEnroe and Agassi and Sampras and Becker, and they all had something [an edge to them] where you thought, ‘Oh, okay’. And then I came along and it was, ‘This guy speaks three perfect languages! He’s from Switzerland, neutral, he’s nice, polite, he plays a wonderful game . . . what’s wrong with him?’

“It was difficult to handle. People used to say, ‘He’s so talented, it’s too easy for him’. It wasn’t until I showed more grit when the going got tough that they started to respect me. Then it was, ‘Well, this guy is not just a wonderful shotmaker, he can also fight.”

“Can you pinpoint when that was?” I ask.

“The first time I really showed it was against Nadal in Miami [April, 2005]. I was down two sets to love and a break and two break points down to go down a double break. He would have crushed me 6-2 7-6 6-1 but I came back and won 7-6 6-3 6-1. That for me was a key moment. I was able to turn around the match and dominate Rafa in the end.”

“This rivalry with Nadal is fascinating. You sent him a text message later that year to congratulate him when he won in Madrid, and spent time with him this year in Basel. When is the last time you sent him a text?”

“When he got injured this year. He congratulated me for winning Paris, and I sent back a message saying I hoped he was going to be okay when he pulled out of Wimbledon. But we see each other quite often because I’m president of the players’ council and he’s vice-president, so we have a lot of stuff to talk about.”

“I ask because another of the things that surprised McEnroe about you was how friendly you are with your rivals.”

“Yeah.”

“He hated Lendl and Connors [Federer laughs]. He doesn’t understand how you can be so friendly with Nadal.”

“Yeah.”

“Has the chemistry between you changed over the last couple of years?”

“No, not really. I’m surprised myself by the degree to which we actually get along because we’ve had a very intense rivalry and you could say he has hurt my career and that I’ve hurt his career, but we’ve actually helped each other become the players we are today. And the rivalry has helped the game. It’s nice that the two greatest players in tennis, or in a sport, actually get along well, because normally there is all this hate and it’s so negative, and I don’t like that. We’ve had enough controversy in recent years with athletes and it’s a welcome change.”

“You don’t like controversy?”

“I don’t mind it. I don’t care. It’s interesting sometimes, but at the end of the day we are also role models for a lot of children, and sometimes that gets forgotten.”

HE HAS pulled up a chair and put his feet up. We are revisiting reflections he has made at different points on his climb to the summit and I want him to join the dots . . .

“You’ve just won your first Wimbledon and have taken a holiday in Sardinia,” I announce. “You’re lying on a beach with the sun beating down, and this is what you say: ‘So now you’re a Wimbledon champion. Nobody can take that away from you’.”

“This was after I won my first one?” he queries.

“Yes, in 2003.”

“Okay.”

“A year later, in the autumn of 2004, you return home feeling pretty pleased after winning the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US Open. You have now won four majors. This is what you say: ‘Everything from now on is only positive. I’ve lived up to all expectations. It’s a huge relief. I can look in the mirror and know I can achieve.”

“Yeah,” he nods.

“Now we jump forward to the Australian Open this year. You’ve won another nine Grand Slams since the ‘relief’ of 2004 but have just lost the final to Nadal, and the quote that jumps out at everybody is: ‘God, this is killing me’.”

“Yes.” He laughs. “Is there a question?”

“The question, I suppose, is your changing mindset as your goals continue to evolve. In 2003, it was almost enough to have won Wimbledon. In 2009, you’ve just failed to win a 14th major and it’s: ‘God, this is killing me’.”

“That quote . . . was seen the wrong way. The thing that was killing me was having to talk while crying. What I meant was, ‘I wish I could stop crying and could talk normally and give Rafa the stage he deserves and not make everybody feel so bad \’. This was upsetting me more than having lost the match. The last thing I wanted was for people to feel bad for me. I played a great tournament. I was happy with the way I played. I wish I would have won, but I had to accept, and accepted without a problem, that Rafa was better on that day. So it was [misinterpreted].

“I left the court and went on holiday and came back and heard all these things like, ‘He started crying . . . He’s gone . . . This is it . . . The downfall’, and I was like, ‘What?’ I have been crying after losing matches since I was five years old, so to have cried after the loss of a Grand Slam final was normal for me, but there was this big fuss that I didn’t understand. It was almost amusing how it was taken out of proportion.”

“You say you love winning, but the flipside of that is that losing hurts. I read a line somewhere that you had not looked at the 2008 Wimbledon final and would never look at it?”

“Yes.”

“You won’t look at it again?”

“I’ve seen highlights, but, no . . . not because I want to run away from it, but it’s the whole positive thing again. I lost a massive match in the fifth. That was a negative experience. It was a final and we played great tennis and I know what I did wrong. I analysed it in a second when I left the court, so it was fine.”

“How long does it take to recover from a defeat like that?”

“The tough part is the trophy presentation [laughs]. That was hardest because I have been on the winner’s side and it’s so enjoyable, but on the losing side it’s just, ‘Please let me go’. Then I come into the locker room and take a shower, and once I have done the press, I’m fine. You think about it for half a day or maybe next morning when you wake up — ‘What could I have done differently?’ — but it goes pretty quickly, the winning and the losing.”

“You played another epic final at Wimbledon this year. Given what had happened a year before, how tough would it have been to have lost against Roddick?”

“Really tough. I don’t know if I was thinking about the Nadal match during that Roddick match, because I didn’t really have time, but with five- setters there’s definitely a bit of luck involved. But I’m a great believer that you can push luck on your side. I also believe things happen for a reason, and maybe that sixth [successive] Wimbledon in 2008 was not meant to be. Rafa was playing great early on and I just kind of didn’t believe . . . I lost the first two sets, and then the rain delay came and woke me up.”

“I heard a story that your wife intercepted you as you walked to the locker room during the rain delay and said: ‘Remember, you are Roger Federer’. Is that true?”

“I don’t remember that.” He smiles. “She wouldn’t say that, I don’t think, to be quite honest.”

“It’s a good story,” I say, laughing.

“No . . . the Roddick match . . . it was a different approach facing Andy than facing Rafa. I have such a tremendous record against Andy that the expectation was, ‘This is a match I cannot let go’. I had beaten him three times before at Wimbledon and knew that if I played well, I should come through. I never expected it going 16-14 [in the fifth] but my belief was so strong because of my record against him. And maybe what had happened the year before, knowing that mentally I should have started stronger against Nadal . . . I didn’t allow that to happen in the Roddick match, and that’s why I came through.”

“Where are you mentally with Nadal now? You lost to him in Australia but beat him in Madrid.”

“We haven’t played much,” he says. “We played in Australia, we played in Madrid, and that’s it this year. There was a time where we played almost every other week — Dubai, Monaco, Rome, Paris, Wimbledon — it went on and on. But it’s, like, up in the air right now.”

“On the day after he was knocked out of the French this year, you were quoted as saying, ‘Of course my dream scenario is to beat Rafa here in the final’. You don’t seriously expect us to believe that, do you?”

“I never hope guys lose. Tennis is a sport [in which] you have to beat whoever is across the net. I’ve never played Rafa at the US Open but I’ve been there the past six times in the final, so it’s not my mistake, you know?

“I’ve tried really hard for years to win the French, and everybody figured, ‘He needs to go through Nadal to be a worthy champion’, but I disagree. Tennis is different. Tennis is beating whoever is on the other side of the net. Sure, the perfect way would have been to beat Nadal, because he has beaten me so many times [there] but it was not the case and I don’t think it takes anything away from what I achieved. The courage and grit I showed over so many years at the French finally paid off, and it’s probably one of the great achievements of my career.”

“How does it feel, having done it? You’ve broken all the records now.”

“It’s a big relief, especially getting first [the win in] Paris and then the 15 [Grand Slam titles] at Wimbledon within a month. I was shell-shocked that it happened so quickly. To go from being criticised [at the Australian Open] for not being the same anymore to being called the greatest ever was a very fast turn.”

“The year was special for other reasons. You got married in April. You were dating for nine years. Why did it take you so long?”

He smiles. “I started dating Mirka when I was young. I was only a teenager, but the last three or four years it was something we talked about openly. I knew it was not going to be possible in 2008 with the Olympics, so I just said, ‘From 2009, I am ready for whatever you want . . . marriage, kids, whatever’. So it all came together and I’m very happy. We had a beautiful wedding and the kids are healthy. I couldn’t have hoped for more.”

“When did you find out Mirka was expecting twins?”

“In Australia, before the Del Potro match. I beat him 6-3 6-0 6-0, so it gave me wings, you could say.”

“Does it change anything? Does marriage and fatherhood change anything?”

“Yes. I feel more proud when Mirka says ‘husband’. I like it better when I can say, ‘[this is] my wife’. I always thought ‘girlfriend’ was cute, and I loved it, but ‘wife’ to me just sounds so much more serious and better. It goes way beyond what I thought as a teenager that marriage would be. And the babies . . . phew [exhales], that just gives a different dimension to life. To see the fire in the eyes of my wife, waking up 15 times a night if she has to . . . to see that and knowing what she would do for me, knowing what she would do for them, is very emotional.”

“Do you get up?”

“I do sometimes, but Mirka is too quick on her feet. She likes when I get involved, and of course with two you don’t have a choice, but I want to be part of it. I haven’t missed a day apart from my kids yet and I’m very fortunate to be able to experience that.”

“Ivan Lendl never won another Grand Slam after he became a father. And you’ve already lost one [the US Open] against Del Potro since the kids were born.”

“Yeah . . . these are statistics that I really don’t buy into.”

“I’m only kidding,” I insist.

“No, but you’re right. Those stats exist, but normally when you have kids as a male tennis player, it’s later in your career, so that kind of makes sense. I’m still actually pretty young, so that’s okay."

“Where do you see yourself now in terms of your career? Have you reached the downward curve?”

“I’m midway. It feels like the second part of my career right now, although I am trying to avoid saying that because the second part sounds like ‘neehhhhrrrrr’ [motions straight down]. You can definitely play your greatest tennis until 32 or 33, it’s just a matter of how you look at it. I’ve always been a big believer in looking at the big picture. It’s not about, ‘What will we do tomorrow?’, it’s about, ‘How will my life and tennis look in the next five years?’ And I still have the same vision, so that’s going to help me.”

“Have you set a date for retirement? You’ve spoken about London in 2012, when the Olympics are held at Wimbledon, as a good exit point.”

“No, I didn’t mean it as an exit point.”

“It’s a target?”

“Many people were asking me, ‘When are you going to retire?’ And I said, ‘Well, I'm definitely going to play until the 2012 Olympics’, but that was to shut them up, really. It depends how fit you are, but I would like to play beyond that, and Mirka has said that she would like our two daughters to see me play. So they need to grow a little bit and I need to play a little bit, but we’ll see where it takes us.”

gulzhan
11-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Nice :)

I really like his view on marriage and kids.

Arkulari
11-15-2009, 06:45 AM
and yet the respective tards cannot learn from Roger and Rafa... :rolleyes:

Jōris
11-15-2009, 06:52 AM
You like bolding shit do you? Don't mind me posting, but it makes me read as if it were being yelled.

Arkulari
11-15-2009, 06:59 AM
it's a free forum, post if you want but I won't change the way I post and can't care less about what you say

and for the record: yelling = CAPSLOCK

FedFan_2007
11-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Funny when I posted this, it got moved immediately to Fed Express. Nat - you seem to have the Supermod's favor.

Arkulari
11-15-2009, 07:04 AM
well Alex, like I said in the OP, if we're discussing Rafa's latest interview in GM, why can't we do the same with Roger's? ;) :p

Jōris
11-15-2009, 07:08 AM
bolded words read louder too and increasing the size doesn't help either but I don't care this is your thread and it's not like I'm a fan of Federer and I was just about to make breakfast anyway

dudili
11-15-2009, 09:14 AM
He did not marry a supermodel (Roddick). He does not make fun of his rivals (Novak Djokovic) or pick continually at the crack in his backside (Nadal). He has worse fashion sense than Andy Murray.

Realy classy !

zerocool_
11-15-2009, 09:54 AM

:lol::lol::lol: Is that even possible ? :D

Action Jackson
11-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Federer forum closed? Thought this was about Robert Federer.

Apemant
11-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Federer forum closed? Thought this was about Robert Federer.

As long as there are posters who insist on seeing that quote 'God, it's killing me' as the worst thing ever happened to tennis, this deserves to be here in GM. I wonder what response they can possibly give to this explanation of what it meant, from his own viewpoint.

oranges
11-15-2009, 10:32 AM
As long as there are posters who insist on seeing that quote 'God, it's killing me' as the worst thing ever happened to tennis, this deserves to be here in GM. I wonder what response they can possibly give to this explanation of what it meant, from his own viewpoint.

I'm guessing the most common response would be "I don't care".

leng jai
11-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks for this article, I was looking all over for it.

Apemant
11-15-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm guessing the most common response would be "I don't care".

That goes without saying, that nobody really cares about anyone else's opinion.

Nobody cares about anyone's opinion on what's the 'worst thing that ever happened to tennis' either, right? So why give it in the first place?

So, if we ignore the usual presuppositions like the grass is green, the sky is blue, nobody cares about people's opinions since everyone has one etc etc - can we move back onto the subject? What's your take on Federer's explanation? I've seen plenty of those who said that he's a spoiled brat who can't take being denied his favorite toy (Black Adam) and has the nerve to publicly whine that it's 'killing him'. To me, this explanation he gave here is perfectly understandable - it was far worse having to endure the embarrasment of public crying than losing some GS final & tennis records.

oranges
11-15-2009, 11:04 AM
That goes without saying, that nobody really cares about anyone else's opinion.

Nobody cares about anyone's opinion on what's the 'worst thing that ever happened to tennis' either, right? So why give it in the first place?

Because you have an opinion at the time when it happened. I don't see how it contradicts the opinion that topic is way obsolete by now. Not everyone is stuck on it for eternity, like obviously you. I'd get diarrhea from another round of that discussion now.

Apemant
11-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Because you have an opinion at the time when it happened. I don't see how it contradicts the opinion that topic is way obsolete by now. Not everyone is stuck on it for eternity, like obviously you. I'd get diarrhea from another round of that discussion now.

I'm not stuck with the past that is irrelevant today. However, if certain facts from the past clearly influence the situation as of now, then I'm very interested in setting the record straight. That is a sensible approach to history. You can't, for example, keep someone in prison forever regardless of any new evidence found, just because there were 20 appeals which failed in the past, on the account that you're bored to hell with the case.

At least here you have an option of just ignoring the whole subject, and not fuel it with your own comments.

oranges
11-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Look, I have mo more desire to argue here with you whether that is a relevant topic today or not than I do seeing the topic itself rehashed for the millionth time, but I have to say a comparison with life-time prison is gold :lol:

Cloudygirl
11-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm not stuck with the past that is irrelevant today. However, if certain facts from the past clearly influence the situation as of now, then I'm very interested in setting the record straight. That is a sensible approach to history. You can't, for example, keep someone in prison forever regardless of any new evidence found, just because there were 20 appeals which failed in the past, on the account that you're bored to hell with the case.

At least here you have an option of just ignoring the whole subject, and not fuel it with your own comments.

we are likening Rogi crying with great miscarriages of justice now :rolleyes:

tnosugar
11-15-2009, 11:49 AM
liar liar :)
he's many things said up there, but he hasn't always been so nice (as depicted). He's had some quite ugly comments about his rivals, actually, shrouded in candy.
But still the GOAT, IMO

Burrow
11-15-2009, 12:01 PM
I hate these articles, always the same BS. Greatest final ever? WTF? Not the best of his own era? Then who is better than him? Nobody has won more than him :confused:

Dini
11-15-2009, 12:09 PM
I hate these articles, always the same BS. Greatest final ever? WTF? Not the best of his own era? Then who is better than him? Nobody has won more than him :confused:

Nadal? :shrug:

They do try to sugar coat in these articles but I've realised a few iffy statements; namely that Murray has a better fashion sense than Federer... even if it was true it seemed to be so out of the blue. :lol: But overall I think the article gives a good insight into things he hasn't revealed before like his retirement plans - he wants to play on after 2012 and only told others it would be that year to stop them from asking all the time. Also interesting that he mentioned that he didn't believe in the "Fathers don't win grand slams" statistics, I think it shows his motivation is still as strong as ever.

Burrow
11-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Nadal? :shrug:

They do try to sugar coat in these articles but I've realised a few iffy statements; namely that Murray has a better fashion sense than Federer... even if it was true it seemed to be so out of the blue. :lol: But overall I think the article gives a good insight into things he hasn't revealed before like his retirement plans - he wants to play on after 2012 and only told others it would be that year to stop them from asking all the time. Also interesting that he mentioned that he didn't believe in the "Fathers don't win grand slams" statistics, I think it shows his motivation is still as strong as ever.

Yes cause Nadal has won 15 grand slams. If Nadal doesn't end up with 15 or more and a career slam then he simply isn't as good Federer. There is no chance is hell he will break the slam record, by the way.

andylovesaustin
11-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Realy classy !

What's wrong with Andy marrying a supermodel? They seem to be pretty happy right now, so more power to em. I don't know if it's going to last, but why are people picking on Andy for marrying this girl? Super models need love, too.

I will refrain from talking about how he found the reaction to his sobfest "amusing." I think he's missing the point about how it disrupted the ENTIRE presentation, but... whatever Rogie!

The rest is pretty good. All in all, I like Roger. But then again, I'm not the best judge of character because I really liked Andre, too, and still do to a certain degree in spite of his faults.

l_mac
11-15-2009, 01:01 PM

After he and his PR buzzards have had 10 months to try and spin it :D

Nice try :wavey:

Burrow
11-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Brooklyn Decker isn't a supermodel :lol:

elessar
11-15-2009, 01:07 PM

Roger doesn't have a PR guy :awww:

andylovesaustin
11-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Brooklyn Decker isn't a supermodel :lol:

Hey, I didn't bring it up! It's in the article.

But I still don't see why people are getting on Andy for marrying A MODEL. :shrug: She could be a really nice girl.

elessar
11-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Hey, I didn't bring it up! It's in the article.

But I still don't see why people are getting on Andy for marrying A MODEL. :shrug: She could be a really nice girl.
Love at first sight makes people jealous :hearts:

l_mac
11-15-2009, 01:20 PM

:rolleyes:

Everyone knows Tony Godsick writes Rogi's interviews and planned press remarks.

Cloudygirl
11-15-2009, 01:23 PM
He has a management team. I'm sure PR is included in there somewhere.

FedFan
11-15-2009, 01:30 PM

Roger has no PR team and he is not in need of it, in contrast to Nadull.

elessar
11-15-2009, 01:38 PM
He has a management team. I'm sure PR is included in there somewhere.
Rafafans are so knowledgeable about Rogi :hearts:

tennisfox
11-15-2009, 01:40 PM

Probably got something to do with him picking her out of the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated...

MrChopin
11-15-2009, 02:07 PM

Your perception is remarkably unbiased.

l_mac
11-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Your perception is remarkably unbiased.

Yeah, really marks me out amongst MTF posters.

:ras:

l_mac
11-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Roger has no PR team and he is not in need of it, in contrast to Nadull.

:haha:

Do you know anything about your favourite player?

Arkulari
11-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Roger has a PR person, but he does give interviews by himself :rolleyes:

elessar
11-15-2009, 04:27 PM
I refuse to believe this, he oozes genuineness.

l_mac
11-15-2009, 04:29 PM

Yup, with the questions submitted beforehand and the answers carefully planned out :)

Arkulari
11-15-2009, 04:40 PM
like every other player, whether you like it or not, they won't answer things they don't want and that pretty much goes for everyone except for on court interviews and pressers ;)

paseo
11-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Why do Nadal fans dislike Fed so much?

Nadal leads the H2H, Nadal is the one that's preventing Fed to have the calendar GS twice. And Nadal is a nightmare match up for Fed. I can understand why Fed fans disliking Nadal, but I just don't get it the other way around. More often than not, Federer is not the one that's denying Nadal of titles or crushing him off the court. Nadal destroyed Fed on a GS final and making him cry on another. So, why the dislike? I don't get it.

This is a serous question BTW.

MrChopin
11-15-2009, 04:45 PM

Nadal leads the H2H, Nadal is the one that's preventing Fed to have the calendar GS twice. And Nadal is a nightmare match up for Fed. I can understand why Fed fans disliking Nadal, but I just don't get it the other way around. More often than not, Federer is not the one that's denying Nadal of titles or crushing him off the court. Nadal destroyed Fed on a GS final and making him cry on another. So, why the dislike? I don't get it.

Because they know that Federer is better than Nadal. It's that simple.

Midnight Ninja
11-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Pandoras Box

l_mac
11-15-2009, 04:57 PM

Federer is a complete twat. :shrug:

Actually I prefer him to many other players, but his MTF fans are disgusting.

Sophocles
11-15-2009, 04:59 PM

And that's CLEARLY his fault.

Burrow
11-15-2009, 05:00 PM

So what the hell are you then? You must be about 40 and you are as petty as they come :lol:

Going into hiding when Rafael Nadal got CRUSHED by Robin Soderling. :rolls: :haha:

momo_momo
11-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Everybody likes to fess up. Andre fever.

l_mac
11-15-2009, 05:06 PM
And that's CLEARLY his fault.

:confused:

It clearly affects how I post about Fed on this site.
So what the hell are you then? You must be about 40 and you are as petty as they come :lol:

Going into hiding when Rafael Nadal got CRUSHED by Robin Soderling. :rolls: :haha:

:hug: I think you are getting me mixed up with someone else.

gulzhan
11-15-2009, 05:07 PM

First half of Nadal's fans reacts to Fed's fans (and I agree, Fed's fans have more reasons to hate Nadal, after all he was the one who beat the unbeatable first and then the rest believed they can do it too), second half of Nadal's fans hated Federer first and then became Nadal's fans for the reason stated above.

Lee
11-15-2009, 05:12 PM

This is where I lost all interest in reading the article. The writer is a real classact.

MariaV
11-15-2009, 05:17 PM

OK to answer your serious question - I personally don't dislike Fed, I've always admired his game obviously, I'm just not emotional about him as a person at all. :shrug:

Dini
11-15-2009, 05:18 PM
This is where I lost all interest in reading the article. The writer is a real classact.

I agree with you on that bit. That was tabloid quality.

MariaV
11-15-2009, 05:21 PM

Worse fashion sense than Andy Murray - I'd ask does this guy know anything about Feds? :help: :confused:

Dini
11-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Worse fashion sense than Andy Murray - I'd ask does this guy know anything about Feds? :help: :confused:

I think he was trying to be witty and funny by mentioning Nadal and Djokovic, and then Murray in those contexts. Epic fail of an intro, obviously.

Burrow
11-15-2009, 05:32 PM
:confused:

It clearly affects how I post about Fed on this site.

:hug: I think you are getting me mixed up with someone else.

The proof is in the forum, you didn't post until he came back :lol:

Quite funny cause from 2004-sometime in 2006 you had under 1000 posts then you wended up posting 100 per day, so that makes it even funnier you went into hiding.

Nole fan
11-15-2009, 05:48 PM
“The tough part is the trophy presentation [laughs]. That was hardest because I have been on the winner’s side and it’s so enjoyable, but on the losing side it’s just, ‘Please let me go’. Then I come into the locker room and take a shower, and once I have done the press, I’m fine. You think about it for half a day or maybe next morning when you wake up — ‘What could I have done differently?’ — but it goes pretty quickly, the winning and the losing.” :lol:

I have this love/hate relationship with Federer. I clearly love the man, I think he's the best player ever (until now), I admire his pristine elegant tennis, his sweet humour, his gentleness, his sense of fashion (that too ha)... but I hate him winning all the time. I want the underdogs to get level with him, specially Djoko. But I know that when the moment of his retirement comes I'll be devastated. Only then I will realise it. From now on I just want to marvel at him play and lose sometimes... Great interview, thank you!

Apemant
11-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Look, I have mo more desire to argue here with you whether that is a relevant topic today or not than I do seeing the topic itself rehashed for the millionth time, but I have to say a comparison with life-time prison is gold :lol:

we are likening Rogi crying with great miscarriages of justice now :rolleyes:

Anything to amuse you. :devil:

Seriously, you guys never heard of hyperboles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole)?

Apemant
11-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Yup, with the questions submitted beforehand and the answers carefully planned out :)

Are all the 'you knows' pre-planned, too? To spice things up? :devil:

Burrow
11-15-2009, 06:06 PM
:lol:

I have this love/hate relationship with Federer. I clearly love the man, I think he's the best player ever (until now), I admire his pristine elegant tennis, his sweet humour, his gentleness, his sense of fashion (that too ha)... but I hate him winning all the time. I want the underdogs to get level with him, specially Djoko. But I know that when the moment of his retirement comes I'll be devastated. Only then I will realise it. From now on I just want to marvel at him play and lose sometimes... Great interview, thank you!

why do you always delete the quoted persons name? very pointless.

Midnight Ninja
11-15-2009, 06:12 PM
why do you always delete the quoted persons name? very pointless.

She quoted directly from the interview.

siloe26
11-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Honestly, I like Federer. But many of his fans are so arrogant towards other players and so disrespectful especially concerning Nadal that you start having bad feelings for their favourite player.

Burrow
11-15-2009, 06:17 PM
She quoted directly from the interview.

it happens in every quote of theirs, not just this one, pal.

Nole fan
11-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Don't you have anything more interesting to do Burrow? loser...

l_mac
11-15-2009, 06:25 PM

I didn't post much in July and August. I was away :)

Quite funny cause from 2004-sometime in 2006 you had under 1000 posts then you wended up posting 100 per day, so that makes it even funnier you went into hiding.

No. I only had about 200 posts here until March 2007, which is when I started posting regularly. And my post count only shot up when I started participating in a chat thread.

siloe26
11-15-2009, 06:26 PM

All you said is true, but Nadal is also hurt by Federer. Not in the same way, it's true, but the guy should have become n°1 much earlier in his career and be a big n°1 (for years, I mean) but Federer was so good that it was not possible. And he's always compared. If Nadal's career ended now, with 6 GS on 3 different surfaces, an olympic Gold medal, 15 MS and the Davis Cup, he would already be one of the big names of the history. But he doesn't get the credit that he deserves because Fed has won so much. His game is always compared negatively to Federer. It quite hurts. Without Federer around, there would still be many people who wouldn't like his game because not everyone likes the clay courters, but not so many people. It didn't help that God himself (I mean Federer) called him a one-dimensional player. So, you see, both groups of fans have their reasons. ;)

Burrow
11-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Don't you have anything more interesting to do Burrow? loser...

It was a simple question, 'loser', and you obviously can't come up with a constructive reply for idiotically deleting peoples usernames from quotes.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
11-15-2009, 07:58 PM
great interview

really classy guy

im genuinely shocked at how friendly Roger and Rafa are

i know Rafa fans can get a bit out of hand with their Fed hate, but i guess thats because of 15 slams

Sunset of Age
11-15-2009, 08:13 PM
great interview

really classy guy

im genuinely shocked at how friendly Roger and Rafa are

i know Rafa fans can get a bit out of hand with their Fed hate, but i guess thats because of 15 slams

No need to be shocked about that, sometimes even top athletes can be rather nice people at the same time, too. :D

elessar
11-15-2009, 09:10 PM

I also have proof she used to be a federer fan, she went into hiding after wimbledon last year because she couldn't handle him losing to Nadal and then crashing out against Simon before losing his #1 ranking.

I felt your pain sister!

Corey Feldman
11-15-2009, 09:49 PM
i know Rafa fans can get a bit out of hand with their Fed hate, but i guess thats because of 15 slamsthe term is

15 >>>>> 6

Blondie1985
11-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

He's So Perfect!!!!!! So Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dabeast
11-16-2009, 02:50 AM
Fed is just one cool cat.
Grounded guy who knows what the important things in life are.
Always admired him for the way he stuck by his woman for 9 years just as Mirka did for him.

Didn't have to go fool around with other women or marry some airhead bimbo model, like most sports stars.

A real special player.
Love that guy.

MariaV
11-16-2009, 07:03 AM
I think he was trying to be witty and funny by mentioning Nadal and Djokovic, and then Murray in those contexts. Epic fail of an intro, obviously.

Yeah but it's neither witty nor funny. He should've at least thought before writing such :bs:. Mega fail.

Jōris
11-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Interviews with people with as many sponsors as big as Federer are proofread and edited by his management to make him look likeable and accessible.

Lines like "He did not marry a supermodel (Roddick). He does not make fun of his rivals (Novak Djokovic) or pick continually at the crack in his backside (Nadal). He has worse fashion sense than Andy Murray" look to me included on demand of his management.

The comment on Murray is so much less derogatory to Murray than the comments made about the other guys. Originally it said something like Federer doesn't play as boring as Murray or something as negative, but a British newspaper wouldn't publish that and changed it to something hardly offensive.

FedFan
11-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Interviews with people with as many sponsors as big as Federer are proofread and edited by his management to make him look likeable and accessible.

Lines like "He did not marry a supermodel (Roddick). He does not make fun of his rivals (Novak Djokovic) or pick continually at the crack in his backside (Nadal). He has worse fashion sense than Andy Murray" look to me included on demand of his management.

The comment on Murray is so much less derogatory to Murray than the comments made about the other guys. Originally it said something like Federer doesn't play as boring as Murray or something as negative, but a British newspaper wouldn't publish that and changed it to something hardly offensive.

Roger surely must do nothing to look more likeable and accessible. ;)

He is one of the most fan- and public-oriented tennisstar, is always friendly and patient, and takes time to give numerous interviews.

This is one of the reason for his immense popularity.

Swiss Mountain
11-16-2009, 06:15 PM

Because rafa does his interviews alone! LMAO.
Imbecile, rafa can't even articulate himself on his game in press conference.
So him talking about religion is so scripted it's ridiculous.

Nole fan
11-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Because rafa does his interviews alone! LMAO.
Imbecile, rafa can't even articulate himself on his game in press conference.
So him talking about religion is so scripted it's ridiculous.

Don't be ridiculous yourself. I'm a journalist and I've interviewed famous people and I can assure you I've never had any manager trying to script or edit it. No credible newspaper/magazine would allow that. And that interview with Nadal was published in one of the biggest and most-respected newspapers in Spain, so no, it wasn't scripted. As for saying that Nadal is not articulate, that is insulting and you should be ashamed of yourself. You're misjudging Nadal because obviously you have only seen his press conferences in English, a language he's not yet comfortable with. It doesn't mean that he's not articulate when he speaks in Spanish. :rolleyes:

Swiss Mountain
11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
:lol:

The quote in bold type, is sad coming from you.
You should never hate(what an ugly verb) someone for being great and unbeatable; but instead, DISLIKE the others players for not being able to beat him.

Hating winners is a proof of weakness in a person.
Winners praise winners. Losers hates winners

Nole fan
11-16-2009, 06:41 PM
The quote in bold type, is sad coming from you.
You should never hate(what an ugly verb) someone for being great and unbeatable; but instead, DISLIKE the others players for not being able to beat him.

Hating winners is a proof of weakness in a person.
Winners praise winners. Losers hates winners

That's all you have? boo :yawn:

Filo V.
11-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I like the fact that Nadal and Federer themselves can carry a friendly relationship throughout their respective careers, but their fans can barely talk to each other without getting into arguments.

Swiss Mountain
11-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Don't be ridiculous yourself. I'm a journalist and I've interviewed famous people and I can assure you I've never had any manager trying to script or edit it. No credible newspaper/magazine would allow that. And that interview with Nadal was published in one of the biggest and most-respected newspapers in Spain, so no, it wasn't scripted. As for saying that Nadal is not articulate, that is insulting and you should be ashamed of yourself. You're misjudging Nadal because obviously you have only seen his press conferences in English, a language he's not yet comfortable with. It doesn't mean that he's not articulate when he speaks in Spanish. :rolleyes:

So what you're a journalist? That doesn't make you more inform on the subject. Maybe you work in a fanzine for all I care.
There is always a PR person behind famous people, they control the interviews. What are you thinking? It's not Disneyland this world!
Furthermore, it's a spanish paper. Hum, I think they care about their famous people across the world; they won't start bashing him in their publication.
It's like a french paper will try to trap Zidane and discredit him.
Pff, yes, that's all you have. Pathetic, bye.

manuel84
11-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Wait, Federer and Nadal had a rendezvous in Basel this year?

Arkulari
11-17-2009, 04:16 PM

it was in 2005 I think :)

Sunset of Age
11-17-2009, 04:20 PM

Correct. Federer visited Nadal at his hotel in Basel in 2005. Both of them had to pull out because of injuries but apparently Feds wanted to meet his rival and have a chat. Sweet. :hearts:

Here's a old post concerning that visit: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2563777&postcount=57.

Arkulari
11-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Fed :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

thanks for the link Karin! :)

Sunset of Age
11-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Fed :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

thanks for the link Karin! :)

You can always count on me to dig up stuff like that. :angel: ;)

tennisfox
11-18-2009, 09:36 AM

The article specifically says this year.

“This rivalry with Nadal is fascinating. You sent him a text message later that year to congratulate him when he won in Madrid, and spent time with him this year in Basel. When is the last time you sent him a text?”

MariaV
11-18-2009, 09:43 AM
The article specifically says this year.

Honey, this year in this text meaning 2005 when Rafa won Madrid and visited Basel but couldn't play. :D Hope this helped. :wavey:

JolánGagó
11-18-2009, 10:42 AM
So what you're a journalist? That doesn't make you more inform on the subject. Maybe you work in a fanzine for all I care.
There is always a PR person behind famous people, they control the interviews. What are you thinking? It's not Disneyland this world!
Furthermore, it's a spanish paper. Hum, I think they care about their famous people across the world; they won't start bashing him in their publication.
It's like a french paper will try to trap Zidane and discredit him.
Pff, yes, that's all you have. Pathetic, bye.

You make less and less sense with every post, I wonder if you're campaigning for ACC.

Dini
11-18-2009, 10:45 AM
^ She's getting the heya syndrome. ;)

tennisfox
11-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Honey, this year in this text meaning 2005 when Rafa won Madrid and visited Basel but couldn't play. :D Hope this helped. :wavey:

Sorry I disagree. I don't think the sentence is constructed that way. There's the later that year which is in reference to 2005 and what RF said. Then he goes on to say this year. If he was still talking about 2005 he would have said that year.