Paris Bercy R3: Del Potro d. Gonzalez 6-7(6) 7-6(6) RET [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Paris Bercy R3: Del Potro d. Gonzalez 6-7(6) 7-6(6) RET

FiBeR
11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
retirement :tape:

both were struggling with injuries

jonas
11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
What a shame. Gonzo had tons of mp's in the second. Around seven, I reckon. Five at 5-4*, and two more at 6-5*. :rolleyes:
He also hit a forehand winner at 175 kph. :eek: Some kind of record?
EDIT: 175 kph is no record, I've learned. Anyone knows the record for a groundstroke winner?

Burrow
11-12-2009, 10:54 PM
He was struggling to change direction, both were being made just to go for winners. Del Potro saving several match points...

LocoPorElTenis
Most unreal match of the year.
Gonzo wasted 7 or 8 match points.
Potro choked the first set badly... served for it and was 5-1 in tb (and wasted 4 sps).
Both players injured in the second.

tealeaves
Gonzo 52-37
Delpo 31-25

WHAT A JOKE.

FiBeR
he saved 7 match points in 2 service games (serving 4-5 and 5-6)

and to be fair, gonzalez saved 4 set points in the first set..and del potro closed the set in the 4th set point

Bilbo
gonzo just gave up for no reason

fine?

rubbERR
potro couldnt even serve, he was spinning all his serves in... :lol:

River
Well it was basically a final set anyways. They poured out everything they could, you can't ask for more.

Montego
Hillarious.

Potro saved 7 matchpoints. Will you count it Voo ?

Horatius
11-12-2009, 10:55 PM
ATP wants to imitate WTA for sure.

tealeaves
11-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Gonzo hits 52 winners with 31 UE and lost to a player with a +6 W/UE Ratio.
Crazy match.

LocoPorElTenis
11-12-2009, 10:56 PM

fine?

He was injured but so was Potro... probably just upset after wasting all those mps.

Montego
7 matchpoints:

*4-5 15-40 and 3 advantages for Gonzo
*5-6 15-40

amazing

Dini
WTF? :confused:

Tame ending. Gonzo had converted on 1/16 BPs. :o Fed would be proud.

I think it was 4 MPs at 5-4 Del Potro serving, and a further two MPs at 6-5 (if memory serves, which it doesn't do most of the time :p). 52 winners for Gonzo but the moral of the story is that he wasn't aggressive when it mattered the most.

Del Potro choked quite a bit it has to be said though. In the first set he was up 5-2, and up 5-1 in the TB. Lost that set. Then in the second set TB he was up 6-3 and serving for it. But don't know what to read from this match - both were injured.

philosophicalarf
1/16bps and 0/7 mps for Gonzo. Was hilarious, every deuce he was blasting winners, then on the bp he'd hit a 40mph return onto the service line for DelPot to hit an easy winner off.

Ad Wim
WTF?! Gonzo missed 7 mps and had every opportunity to win the match because Potro wasn't fully fit.
But he totally went ballistic and retired.

And he had a decent chance to get to London :smash:

sammy01
gonzo is classless, always has been. he chickened out of playing the final set and in all likeliness losing it.

well fought del potro, just shows why you have a slam.

i really dislike gonzo a lot.

Jōris
11-12-2009, 10:57 PM

fine?

I hope so.

LocoPorElTenis
1/16bps and 0/7 mps for Gonzo. Was hilarious, every deuce he was blasting winners, then on the bp he'd hit a 40mph return onto the service line for DelPot to hit an easy winner off.

Clownzo in his finest hour.
Only Clownzo could lose to Juan Injuredin del Choktro.

FiBeR
Del Potro, a true champ..he was really brave on the match points down too

:shrug: definately not in a good level though..

Stepanek will roast him tomorrow

Bilbo
gonzo was pissed he missed all those mps and called it a season

Burrow
11-12-2009, 10:58 PM

fine?

Did you even watch the match? :retard:

He wasn't fine, at all.

stebs
Shame about the retirement. Whilst this match was strange I thought it was also kind of good. They were both actually hitting the ball very well and creaming forehands against each other. For people who enjoy big forehands this was heaven.

It's a shame that at this point in the season the idea of two top players playing three intense sets is not feasible. I would've enjoyed a third set.

FiBeR
Clownzo in his finest hour.
Only Clownzo could lose to Juan Injuredin del Choktro.

during the match points it came to my head the Coria-Gonzalez match at Miami 2004 :lol:

william_renshaw
11-12-2009, 10:59 PM
gonzo is classless, always has been. he chickened out of playing the final set and in all likeliness losing it.

you're not the only one. the man has a brain the size of a breadcrumb

rubbERR
potro actually has stomach strain, we will see how he will do tomorrow

lucky win considering his choke first set and his condition 2nd set

LocoPorElTenis

He wasn't fine, at all.

He wasn't fine at all but neither was Del Potro. The match was clearly close, so no reason for retirement.

Vida
what a shame. this a very good match.

I thought it was Delpo with some health issue.

Bilbo
11-12-2009, 11:01 PM

He wasn't fine, at all.

i watched the match and he was blasting winners from each side.

he wasn't so injured to throw in the towel. he should get fined for sure.

rubbERR
11-12-2009, 11:02 PM
these were first tie-breaks in paris today :lol:

tealeaves
11-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Delpo looks PAINFUL in the mid of 2nd set.

sammy01
11-12-2009, 11:03 PM
gonzo had problems with his knee but it was in no way bad enough to through the towel in. he threw the towel in because hes a sore loser and wasn't prepared to mentally put in the effort of a 3rd set. del potro was hence me prefering del potro who could have thrown in the towel late in the 2nd but never allowed himself to.

gonzo = sore loser.

TennisLurker

Del Potro seems to like Gonzo, both played doubles together in this same tournament, and he was worried about Gonzo's injury after his retirement.

Gonzo was better, shame about his knee. Both choked horribly.
I hope Del Potro just has a sore back and that he only needs a massage and some anti inflammatory

Ad Wim
The funny thing was that Potro immediately went to Gonzo and talked to him. Probably said something like: "I don't even want to play this match tomorrow, please keep playing"...

Dini
11-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Does this count as a match where Del Potro had to save 7 MPs to win it? And if so, is that the most amounts of MPs saved this year to get victory?

This retirement thing is confusing me as to what counts and what doesn't.

Jōris
11-12-2009, 11:06 PM
these were first tie-breaks in paris today :lol:

Why's that funny?

tealeaves
11-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Does this count as a match where Del Potro had to save 7 MPs to win it? And if so, is that the most amounts of MPs saved this year to get victory?

This retirement thing is confusing me as to what counts and what doesn't.

how many did Nadal save, 6 or 8?

LocoPorElTenis
Both choked horribly.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I hope Del Potro just has a sore back and that he only needs a massage and some anti inflammatory

Whatever problem he has is in his stomach, not his back.
Stepanek is a tough matchup in a good day, if he still can't serve properly he will be wormanized in 2 sets.

Dini

Jōris

five

RafitoGoat
11-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Very happy to see Del Potro still in this event and able to play Parera if both continue their advancing :yeah:

TennisLurker
Truer words have never been spoken.

Whatever problem he has is in his stomach, not his back.
Stepanek is a tough matchup in a good day, if he still can't serve properly he will be wormanized in 2 sets.

Yes, Del Potro is going to be seduced tomorrow

philosophicalarf
You don't need to "save" mps vs Almugro, just punt them middle of the court and he'll hit the backboard or the net every time.

Jōris
11-12-2009, 11:10 PM
You don't need to "save" mps vs Almugro, just punt them middle of the court and he'll hit the backboard or the net every time.

five times

tealeaves
11-12-2009, 11:11 PM
five

:lol: my memory is baaaaaaaad.

Dyraise
11-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Gonzo hit a forehand winner at 175 kph. :eek: Record?
I saw Gonzalez hit a return winner at 189 kph so... no.

FiBeR
11-12-2009, 11:14 PM
good for del potro he retired .. so he can save some form for tomorrow vs radek

so actually possitive gonzalez retired (talking about sportmanship wise.. i dont care if he is a sore loser or not, it is good for delpo i guess)

tennishero
11-12-2009, 11:14 PM
tense match, delpo was unfortunate to lose the first set, gonzo got a lucky net cord that gave him set point in the tie break.
gonzo played really well and his serve was on fire, whereas delpo kept pushing his into play.

delpo showed incredible mental strength and perseverance again and saved 8 match points.

btw there was no need for gonzo to retire.

+alonso
11-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Such a shame Fernando had to end this excellent year with a retirement.
I don't think it would be correct to judge Fernando's behavior (what made him take that decision) by saying that he just give up.....
It would be necessary to listen what he has to say before...(press conference)

Aenea
11-12-2009, 11:29 PM
JMDP :worship: knew this guy was going to fight till the very end. He has toughened up in the last few months and that's what makes me warming up on him. I never liked quitters.

Gonzo :o the moment he saw the match slipping from his hands and he threw the towel. He's done it before not a surprise at all.

whattheheck
11-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Boo

+alonso
11-12-2009, 11:42 PM
I don't think it would be correct to judge Fernando's behavior (what made him take that decision) by saying that he just give up.....

I forgot something...

Even if the reason that made Feña withdraw was tiredness I completely understand it due to the ridiculous long season. Fernando's style of play is also very prone to injuries.

simplet
11-12-2009, 11:47 PM
I was there and damn, that match was WEIRD.

FiBeR
11-12-2009, 11:55 PM

tell us what u saw/felt

FedFan_2007
11-12-2009, 11:56 PM
What an ugly choke-tastic match. Typical of Bercy, full of mugs and chokers :o

FedFan_2007
11-13-2009, 12:01 AM

You've got to be kidding. I nominate your post as mugtastic of the thread. :rolleyes:

VolandriFan
11-13-2009, 12:17 AM
You've got to be kidding. I nominate your post as mugtastic of the thread. :rolleyes:

He's not the youngest anymore, did well to reach the SFs at RG for the first time, added to his title tally and ended the year just outside the top 10. Maybe not 'excellent', but definitely consistent with how Fernando should be performing at this stage of his career.

Snowwy
11-13-2009, 12:23 AM

I know eh, he is such a girl.

+alonso
11-13-2009, 12:28 AM

Excuse me but I don't see the laugh in this...
He was pretty solid on GS, reached 4th round in AO, SF in Roland Garros, 3rd in Wimbledon (which is the only poor result) and QF in USo.
He could have been better on fall season esp. in Asia and Europe...
lost only twice in 1st round...
It was a good year for Gonzalez's standars
I still don't get the joke..

Oh and BTW, don't get me involved in any of that BS of the "muggiest post award" ... It's not even FUNNY

kyleskywalker007
11-13-2009, 01:27 AM
If anything, I take Delpo's huge mental strength to save those 7 match points.

malisha
11-13-2009, 01:34 AM

potro actually has stomach strain, we will see how he will do tomorrow

lucky win considering his choke first set and his condition 2nd set

dont worry rubbERR:hug:
Pony will be fine and run like a rabbit against Radek ;)

Henry Chinaski
11-13-2009, 02:47 AM
fascinating

ChinoRios4Ever
11-13-2009, 03:37 AM
This match is a true example of the chilean sports history. Pure tragedy and drama, and obviously with the chilean guy (no matter the sport, could be tennis, soccer or a random sport) losing after missing so many opportunities to win and the opponent is an argie. Man i'm so pissed really. :mad:

Gonzo's choking is far from a breaking new, check his results in the past and you can make a top 10 with amazing chokes. Sadly he's injuried since he lost to Toad in RG (another classic choke), his knee has a cronical injury and could be worse in the future, he's 29 now and it's difficult to see playing this way for many years to come, his playing style is due to have some injuries.

Excuse me but I don't see the laugh in this...
He was pretty solid on GS, reached 4th round in AO, SF in Roland Garros, 3rd in Wimbledon (which is the only poor result) and QF in USo.
He could have been better on fall season esp. in Asia and Europe...
lost only twice in 1st round...
It was a good year for Gonzalez's standars
I still don't get the joke..

Oh and BTW, don't get me involved in any of that BS of the "muggiest post award" ... It's not even FUNNY

Not good to anwser to a gloryhunter. :wavey:

Yes, Gonzo had a very good year, but he choked badly in 3 of 4 GS, had many opportunities to get better results, he could be easily in the WTF right now, that's so sad. :shrug:

Also he's 29, i think his downhill starts now, cause his knee is really injuried and that's cronical and could be worse in the next months. Probably he'll need a surgery in the near future. :sad:

Voo de Mar
11-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Well finished Fena ;)

Yes, it is and the funny thing it's the most match points saved since Vina del Mar 2007 where Massu won a match in similar circumstances after saving 7 match points (against Roitman) as well... 0-6 7-6(3) ret. :lol:

I think with this win Del Potro has confirmed he's the strongest mentally player on the tour beside Nadal. I'm impressed with his calmness at all those match points. Among those 7 mp's he chose only once a powerful serve (!) but missed it serving down the T. So, for every occasion Gonzalez had the ball in play, was the closest on first match point when Del Potro hit forehand winner on the line.

Gonzalez has lost 8th match in career after wasting match point but obviously for the first time with such a big number.

maxardy
11-13-2009, 06:37 AM
tb score was (8) not (6)

Voo de Mar
11-13-2009, 06:37 AM
tb score was (8) not (6)

No, both tie-breaks were 8-6.

Certinfy
11-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Amazing. =)

SVK
11-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Gonzo:spit::hug:

Corey Feldman
11-13-2009, 09:34 AM
tragedy to see both these legends struggling

hope the big Argie will be alright for London, by last night you wouldnt think so

LocoPorElTenis
11-13-2009, 09:42 AM
I think with this win Del Potro has confirmed he's the strongest mentally player on the tour beside Nadal. I'm impressed with his calmness at all those match points. Among those 7 mp's he chose only once a powerful serve (!) but missed it serving down the T. So, for every occasion Gonzalez had the ball in play, was the closest on first match point when Del Potro hit forehand winner on the line.

I disagree with you Voo. Del Potro choked badly when he had chances to close out the set/match. First set has hilarious, served for the set at *5-4, had mp on his serve, was broken (this when he was still serving strong). Next game has bp/sp, wasted (ok, I don't remember the point but it may have been Feña who saved it). The worst was in the tb when he was 5-1* and wasted another 2 sps, mostly with errors. Yes, Gonzo got a lucky netcord to earn sp, but that was after Del Potro had choked terribly.

He was good in all those mps, especially considering that he was physically hampered and couldn't serve properly, but Gonzo also helped him with short returns to the middle of the court in all of the mps (while to get mps he was blasting deep returns).

freeandlonely
11-13-2009, 09:52 AM
weird

no

habibko
11-13-2009, 10:14 AM

I was there too, and yes weird is the word :tape:

the crowd was very pro-Gonzalez which makes his retirement even more disgraceful and pathetic, but it*s nothing new about him being a quitter, and no he was fine and could have easily played a 3rd set, Del Pony was struggling more than him, great heart once again Del Pony :worship: though the subdued style of his doesn*t work at getting the crowd behind him :shrug:

Voo de Mar
11-13-2009, 10:20 AM
I disagree with you Voo. Del Potro choked badly when he had chances to close out the set/match. First set has hilarious, served for the set at *5-4, had mp on his serve, was broken (this when he was still serving strong). Next game has bp/sp, wasted (ok, I don't remember the point but it may have been Feña who saved it). The worst was in the tb when he was 5-1* and wasted another 2 sps, mostly with errors. Yes, Gonzo got a lucky netcord to earn sp, but that was after Del Potro had choked terribly.

I disagree with your disagreement :p Firstly he had 2 sp's on serve at 5:3 :) From my point of view, when you win a match, doesn't matter how many chances you wasted. Back on track after wasting chances is also a mark of good mentality. Within a year a Top 100 player usually plays at least 50 matches on the ATP tour what gives at least 100 sets. With such a number of sets it's very normal that you lose some of them after wasting a big lead or setpoints, important is to have a good ratio. Del Potro would have lost this match 6-7(6) 6-7(6) after wasting 7 setpoints but he won the two most important points and the match after saving 7 match points what usually happens only once in a career. Kudos to DP :hatoff:

teka_22
11-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Hello!
I try to find the matche Del Potro against F.Gonzalez - bercy of Paris.
If somebody knows where I can find it, please contact me.