Poll: Do you think Roger Federer is overpaid? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Poll: Do you think Roger Federer is overpaid?

11-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Particularly for his 2009 season. He's had an almost record breaking season for prize money in grand slams without lifting a finger.

The guy has had months off at a time, and even then can't get his sh1t together. I think just about everyone on this forum probably works more hours than he does.

Hes been a mental midget out there, Birdytch, Acusoso, Haas, Del Potro, he always relied on opponents folding. But there not doing that any more.

Because Nadal is a grafter he has superb mental strength. But he simply doesnt't have the talent to reach what Federer has done.

Now you might say yes but soccer players, golfers etc get paid this and more, but those players have to train and play pretty hard as well as stay in excellent shape.

RG 09 Fed had a beer gut and tennis is hardly as physically demanding as soccer. Judging by the ammount of forehand shanks/sprays this year id say he doesn't practice half as much as in 2004-2007.

He's just a coaster at the moment. He may be able to draw on that strength once in a blue moon in a GS or two to solidify his GOAT status. Sure thats all he needs to do.

But why is he bothering? He should just retire if the attitude and hunger isn't there anymore.

It just seems like hes been having a free ride the last 2 or so years.

I love watching talented tennis players but I also love watching fighters. Nadal is one but not both. Federer is one but not both. Naldandian is one but not both. The only true talent/fighter on tour retired today.

RafitoGoat
11-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Nah I wouldn't say he's overpaid.

oranges
11-12-2009, 10:14 AM
How is this a question about Federer or any individual player for that matter? They all get the same prize money for the same results.

Ad Wim
11-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Overpaid?! WTF, by whom?!

Byrd
11-12-2009, 10:33 AM
He gets underpaid in comparison to other sports stars IMO.

bokehlicious
11-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Federer has been tennis for years, he's the ATP money maker, hence he's not overpaid at all...

Jōris
11-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Federer has been tennis for years

Explains why worldwide tennis television ratings are in decline.

bokehlicious
11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Explains why worldwide tennis television ratings are in decline.

Any proof of that? If by world you mean America then ok, it's ok they never give a damn if there aren't yankees in the mix :shrug:

Jōris
11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Any proof of that? If by world you mean America then ok, it's ok they never give a damn if there aren't yankees in the mix :shrug:

Yes all true but they're also in decline in Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and Norway. Federer's to blame.

Sophocles
11-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Elite sportsmen in general are overpaid, if remuneration is a reflection of the work's importance to society. But labour is a market like any other, and markets often fail to reflect how relatively important things are.

JolánGagó
11-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Importance to society is extremely difficult to assess, in any case it'd always be a contentious assessment. People are paid whatever they're willing to accept for a given job, so by definition no one is ever overpaid.

Sophocles
11-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Importance to society is extremely difficult to assess, in any case it'd always be a contentious assessment. People are paid whatever they're willing to accept for a given job, so by definition no one is ever overpaid.

Agree with your first sentence. Not with your second. An employer could be wrong about how little somebody would be prepared to accept.

Acer
11-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes all true but they're also in decline in Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and Norway. Federer's to blame.

lol

sammy01
11-12-2009, 12:39 PM
yes hes overpaid in general, but not comparing to other sports stars.

prima donna
11-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Typical.

Everko
11-12-2009, 12:52 PM
no question he is

Time Violation
11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Elite sportsmen in general are overpaid, if remuneration is a reflection of the work's importance to society. But labour is a market like any other, and markets often fail to reflect how relatively important things are.

:yeah:

Gabe32
11-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Plus Wilson, Mercedes,and NetJets. And he has his own brand of apparel. I'm sure there's tons more.

tennis2tennis
11-12-2009, 02:17 PM
http://www.blackfive.net/photos/uncategorized/2009/02/17/16_stupid_miltia001.jpg

Forehander
11-12-2009, 03:08 PM
lol mugs like David Beckham are over paid. Not Federer.

Goldenoldie
11-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Try comparing Federer with Tiger Woods, who doesn't even have to run after the ball to hit it.

Forehander
11-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Try comparing Federer with Tiger Woods, who doesn't even have to run after the ball to hit it.

Golf is a little different. It requires much more hard work than you think. Players of golf acquires serious injuries just as much as tennis players. The repetitive action with the heavy golf club on different angled surface places extreme burden on the body. Definitely not easy.

Corey Feldman
11-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Importance to society is extremely difficult to assess, in any case it'd always be a contentious assessment. People are paid whatever they're willing to accept for a given job, so by definition no one is ever overpaid.who are you quoting?

JolánGagó
11-12-2009, 04:15 PM
who are you quoting?

www.google.com

have fun :lol:

11-12-2009, 09:58 PM
lol mugs like David Beckham are over paid. Not Federer.

David Becham happens to be one of the fittest men on the planet. At least he trains monumentally hard day in day out. The guy can actually complete the beep test in its entirety.

No doubt Federer is fit, extremely so.

But it's obvious to me he doesn't train that much anymore.

Nole fan
11-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Now you might say yes but soccer players, golfers etc get paid this and more, but those players have to train and play pretty hard as well as stay in excellent shape.

You think?
Tennis is one of the most stressful, difficult and physically demanding sports out there.
I know soccer very well and soccer players don't train as hard or are as disciplined as tennis players. Ronaldinho, Barcelona's biggest soccer star who won the European Champions League, was seen everynight getting drunk and dancing with girls at the clubs. I saw him myself. And all they have to do is train one hour in the mornings. And if they have a bad day they just pass the ball. Don't get me started on golf... So no, Fed is not overpaid, he's just earning what he deserves for his victories.

brent-o
11-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Well to be fair your original post could be said for other top stars, like Serena. It's just how it is. Not that I think they don't deserve it.

paseo
11-13-2009, 12:20 AM
http://www.blackfive.net/photos/uncategorized/2009/02/17/16_stupid_miltia001.jpg

:haha:

Compared to other popular sports, for his success, Fed is underpaid.

jcempire
11-13-2009, 03:13 AM
compare to 1990s'
YES

but all guys got overpaid, not just Fed

swebright
11-13-2009, 03:19 AM
Prize money is what he earned from winning tournaments.
He is not a contracted player (like football, baseball) so there's nothing to be said about overpaid.
Sponsor deals: he's got what he's worth. Who got overpaid is Sharapova: how did she get 25 millions a year???

11-13-2009, 04:41 AM
You think?
Tennis is one of the most stressful, difficult and physically demanding sports out there.
I know soccer very well and soccer players don't train as hard or are as disciplined as tennis players. Ronaldinho, Barcelona's biggest soccer star who won the European Champions League, was seen everynight getting drunk and dancing with girls at the clubs. I saw him myself. And all they have to do is train one hour in the mornings. And if they have a bad day they just pass the ball. Don't get me started on golf... So no, Fed is not overpaid, he's just earning what he deserves for his victories.

But ya don't often see Ronaldinho put in a performace like Federer did yesterday do you?

paseo
11-13-2009, 04:59 AM
But ya don't often see Ronaldinho put in a performace like Federer did yesterday do you?

Every sportsmen have terrible days. But in a team sport, there are team mates that can cover you.

Hunny
11-13-2009, 05:44 AM
If Berdych, Safin or anyone else achieved as much as Roger did in '09, they would've earned just as much. Not that hard oto understand is it?

And he barely earns anything when compared to Tiger or actors/entertainers.

FedFan_2007
11-13-2009, 05:48 AM
For FUCKS SAKE... Roger is underpaid by 10x for what he's done!!! HE should be making more then Tiger Woods.

Ivanatis
11-13-2009, 06:27 AM
Not compared to other tennis players. But leading sportsmen are overpaid in general, although tennis for sure isn't the worst example.

11-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Every sportsmen have terrible days. But in a team sport, there are team mates that can cover you.

Yeah but you have to take into account the class of opposition.

Ronaldinho might have an average game in a European club game or international, but against class C opposition it's lights out.

I remember watching Becham play for the LA Galaxy last year. He wasn't up against a bad bunch of players either, but he just ran rings around absolutely everyone. Even aging Becham, comparitavely, would never be made to look so ordinary against class C opposition like Federer has the last 2 years (yesterday, Simon, Wawa etc).

Nole fan
11-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Believe me, he had a lot of terrible days, that's why Barça sacked him. :p

Roddickominator
11-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Uh....what?

Federer isn't a corporate fatcat who is losing his company money and still raking in millions a year in bonuses. It's not like Federer makes a salary....he has to win to get paid.

Now does Federer get paid an awful lot to play a game? You could make that point.....but he brings in fans and money himself which is why these tournaments have prize money in the first place.

oranges
11-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Yeah but you have to take into account the class of opposition.

Ronaldinho might have an average game in a European club game or international, but against class C opposition it's lights out.

I remember watching Becham play for the LA Galaxy last year. He wasn't up against a bad bunch of players either, but he just ran rings around absolutely everyone. Even aging Becham, comparitavely, would never be made to look so ordinary against class C opposition like Federer has the last 2 years (yesterday, Simon, Wawa etc).

You must live on another planet if you see soccer stars performing at a high level all the time. Never mind the fact that it doesn't require the same kind of focus and precision, for clues how they handle the burden being on their shoulders exclusively, look at the penalty shoot outs. BTW, comparing Simon, Wawrinka or even Benneteau with LA Galaxy is a joke of epic proportions, try low level futures player.

andylovesaustin
11-13-2009, 12:02 PM
I think many professional athletes and entertainers are overpaid compared to the general population! :shrug:

It's just like that Judge Judy. I saw her on Larry King one night, and she was boo-hoo about how the rich work hard for their money.

But what Judge Judy didn't say is that she probably worked hard as district court judge and trial lawyer(??? I'm not sure of her background), but didn't make near as much money or have as many perks.

So basically Judge Judy "sold-out" to the entertainment business, not to say she doesn't work hard. But a lot people work just as hard or even harder and are not financially compensated. That's the damn point!

At least Roger doesn't seem to act like his "job" is the same as being a coal miner, for example. Roger seems to know how lucky he is.

Sophocles
11-13-2009, 12:02 PM
BTW, comparing Simon, Wawrinka or even Benneteau with LA Galaxy is a joke of epic proportions, try low level futures player.

Quite.