Australian Open in early december? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Australian Open in early december?

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 07:12 AM
What if we had the Australian Open in early December, call it the Christmas Grand Slam. Then the players can have a nice 2 month (or maybe even 3 month) break before the Florida events and clay season.

Everyone will come to Australia in good hardcourt form from the US Open and other events and they won't be carrying as many injuries, the season will have been shorter. And when they leave Australia they can relax for christmas and not have to worry about training for a slam.

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Big argument against december is that schools finish around dec15-20 usually, but if that can be changed to around dec5 then it'd work out.

fsoica
11-11-2009, 07:42 AM
keep on answering to your own question...apart from me, noone will bother to respond to smth like that...

MrChopin
11-11-2009, 07:43 AM
This was a $1,000,000 question on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Just trying to help the players............................imagine such a big off-season, so ideal.

And Australia refused to move their slam to March because it moves it out of summer.

gjr
11-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Big argument against december is that schools finish around dec15-20 usually, but if that can be changed to around dec5 then it'd work out.

This is the correct answer. Tennis Australia insists the AO must be played during the schools summer holidays. Not exactly sure when they are as I have no kids but it's about a 6 week period just before Christmas and I guess they are back 1st or 2nd week of Feb.

Goldenoldie
11-11-2009, 08:43 AM
This suggestion opens a can of worms. What would happen to Doha, Sydney etc? Would they have to be moved to November/December? Would the AO still be regarded as the first slam of the season, or would it become the last? If it's still the first, when would the seaason start? In November, with a long "mid-season" break almost immediately? If it's the last, what about the WTF? It could hardly come before the last slam, so it would also have to be moved.

Guy Haines
11-11-2009, 08:46 AM
:hearts: GOAT PARERA threads. Pepsi avatar is also wonderful.:lol:

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Yeah I don't like the idea of Australian Open in december at all.

decrepitude
11-11-2009, 09:26 AM
It was held in December some years ago, wasn't it? They changed it some time in the eighties. Presumably they had a good reason for moving it in the first place, so I can't see them moving it back!

JolánGagó
11-11-2009, 09:48 AM
I agree, let's do it.

Sophocles
11-11-2009, 09:54 AM
It was held in December some years ago, wasn't it? They changed it some time in the eighties. Presumably they had a good reason for moving it in the first place, so I can't see them moving it back!

Didn't it used to start on Boxing Day or something ridiculous? That's why top players stopped going.

Action Jackson
11-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Yes, no one showed up for it in December.

Ferrero Forever
11-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Not that the original poster suggested this, but before anyone says ít would avoid the heat problem', we've had 6 days of over 30 degree temperatures and still counting this month. Just pre-empting a few posts

evil23
11-11-2009, 10:44 AM
they should equally space all the grand slams.

Miami and Indian wells as warms up
Aus Open in February

Rome and Madrid as warms up
French in April

Change Monte Carlo to grass as a warmup
Wimbledon in June

Canada and Cincy as warmups
US Open in August

Shanghai and Paris as warmups
WTF in October

Then players get a 2 month break until the Aus Open

JolánGagó
11-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Move AO to Tasmania.

evil23
11-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Move AO to Tasmania.

sydney are going to buy it after 2016 (seriously)

Action Jackson
11-11-2009, 10:55 AM
It won't move to Sydney.

Lemon Custard
11-11-2009, 10:59 AM
For the record, Australian school holidays (for Government schools) are generally about a week before Christmas and go for 5 or 6 weeks (depending on the year and which state you live in). For example, this year in Victoria, they begin 18 December and finish 1 February. So it already finishes right at the end of the holidays and you'd be hard pressed to find an audience if you held it outside of those times.

It's also just as hot in the beginning of December. In fact, it's pretty hot any month of the year classified as, "Summer", it's just the reality of Australian weather.

Lemon Custard
11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
sydney are going to buy it after 2016 (seriously)

I wish!!

Won't happen though. Not with the current state government... we can't afford it!! The weather would be better though.

evil23
11-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I wish!!

Won't happen though. Not with the current state government... we can't afford it!! The weather would be better though.
who cares if we can't afford it... more tourists come to sydney and sydney always stage better international events

Start da Game
11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
What if we had the Australian Open in early December, call it the Christmas Grand Slam. Then the players can have a nice 2 month (or maybe even 3 month) break before the Florida events and clay season.

Everyone will come to Australia in good hardcourt form from the US Open and other events and they won't be carrying as many injuries, the season will have been shorter. And when they leave Australia they can relax for christmas and not have to worry about training for a slam.

no need to mess with the australian open.......45 days is adequate rest for players.......if anything, they have to get rid of indian wells and miami and grant a clay masters event for argentina/brazil and grass masters events at queen's/halle.......

pretty pointless playing hardcourt mandatory masters events after the completion of AO and right before the clay season........

Action Jackson
11-11-2009, 11:10 AM
no need to mess with the australian open.......45 days is adequate rest for players.......if anything, they have to get rid of indian wells and miami and grant a clay masters event for argentina/brazil and grass masters events at queen's/halle.......

pretty pointless playing hardcourt mandatory masters events after the completion of AO and right before the clay season........

Too clear and concise for most people.

evil23
11-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Indian Wells And Miami Are Better Warm Up Events For The Australian Open

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't think weather is a problem, thats what makes the AO special - the heat. They should change the school holidays so they begin december 5th or something. Finish Australian Open by Dec20. And I've never been a fan of the World Tour Finals, so get rid of it. But since I'm fairly sure the ATP would never want to get rid of the WTF, I won't bother pushing this argument any further, and probably the school holidays shift is asking too much from Aussie government too :lol:

Lemon Custard
11-11-2009, 11:13 AM
who cares if we can't afford it... more tourists come to sydney and sydney always stage better international events

Doesn't matter. It's not going to happen.

Start da Game
11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Too clear and concise for most people.

hope i covered everything.......they definitely need to ease out that suffocating clay schedule a little by substituting IW with a clay masters event, getting rid of miami and granting masters status to queen's/halle, thus lessening the mandatory masters events to 7 and one less masters event.......that way, almost everyone will be satisfied.......australian open must stay in january coz almost everyone will be fresh(important), fit(most important) and raring to go by then.......

p.s. IW and miami can be downgraded to 500 events.......it's tough to do all this but definitely easier than changing the schedule of a slam........there's hardly any other way to solve the clay puzzle.......

Action Jackson
11-11-2009, 11:24 AM
hope i covered everything.......they definitely need to ease out that suffocating clay schedule a little by substituting IW with a clay masters event, getting rid of miami and granting masters status to queen's/halle, thus lessening the mandatory masters events to 7 and one less masters event.......that way, almost everyone will be satisfied.......australian open must stay in january coz almost everyone will be fresh(important), fit(most important) and raring to go by then.......

p.s. IW and miami can be downgraded to 500 events.......it's tough to do all this but there's hardly any other way to solve the clay puzzle.......

Don't worry there is the schedule thread, which will get bumped in the off season. Always talking and nothing will happen.

Here is the problem, the AO was a rubbish Slam for a lot of years and December was a contributing reason to it. The fact McNamee did a lot of work to get the top players to turn up and actually care about the event, this didn't happen overnight.

For fuck sake most of the players by now are more overdone than steak cooked for an hour.

evil23
11-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Doesn't matter. It's not going to happen.it is....how would you know whats gonna happen in 7 years time????... could happen very easily

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKSP37212120081011

Start da Game
11-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Don't worry there is the schedule thread, which will get bumped in the off season. Always talking and nothing will happen.

Here is the problem, the AO was a rubbish Slam for a lot of years and December was a contributing reason to it. The fact McNamee did a lot of work to get the top players to turn up and actually care about the event, this didn't happen overnight.

For fuck sake most of the players by now are more overdone than steak cooked for an hour.

yes, by us open itself players are fatigued.......AO in december will be a disaster.......

evil23
11-11-2009, 11:33 AM
they should play all 4 grand slams in January and Feburary - 2 weeks each, 8 weeks altogether

then they have 10 months break :P

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah I don't think the Australian Open in december is a good idea, I was just playing devils advicekit really :yeah:

Action Jackson
11-11-2009, 11:40 AM
No, theRAFA you were fishing.

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Either way, I think Federer and Djokovic are the most likely winners of Australian Open 2010.

JolánGagó
11-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Move AO to Alice Springs.

manuel84
11-11-2009, 12:23 PM
IW and Miami should trade calendar slots with the AO.

vamosinator
11-11-2009, 12:32 PM
No, theRAFA you were fishing.

:o

Har-Tru
11-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Should be moved to beginning of March.

Everko
11-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I bet they will. The always think of a new way to screw nadal

Byrd
11-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Any attempt at helping Nadull, the ATP will take it.

Snowwy
11-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Yes, no one showed up for it in December.

Times where a little different, an old man like you should recall such details.

Everko
11-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Any attempt at helping Nadull, the ATP will take it.

Forgive me for severely disagreeing with that dispicable statement

Ozone
11-11-2009, 06:34 PM
No. Let the players start fresh for the first major and see who wants it the most(who trained the hardest). Then, the AO would be the last major of the year and the YEC's would be pointless.

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 10:55 PM
YEC is pointless compared to a grand slam title, or maybe just hold the YEC in Australia every year lol (just playing devils advicekit, not for real)

Goldenoldie
11-12-2009, 09:19 AM
YEC is pointless compared to a grand slam title, or maybe just hold the YEC in Australia every year lol (just playing devils advicekit, not for real)

The first time you wrote advicekit I thought you were being witty, but when you repeated it in a second post I changed my mind.

The word is "advocate"

Tankman
11-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Better yet move the YEC to the week before the AO and have it at Kooyong. I'm sure Fed and Roddick would appreciate that :cool:

...of course the money-grubbing ATP leadership would never approve such a bad business decision, but we can always live in hope

Nichele Hull
11-12-2009, 08:30 PM
If this plan goes into effect it would have to be in 2011 since the season is too long to begin with. They need to figure out which tournaments have to go next season so they could have a longer off season instead of it going to the middle of November. They could have the last two Masters three weeks after the U.S. open then have an off-season.

Guy Haines
11-12-2009, 08:38 PM
The first time you wrote advicekit I thought you were being witty, but when you repeated it in a second post I changed my mind.

The word is "advocate"

Sometimes there's a great pleasure in malapropisms.

This one reminds me of misheard song lyrics. :)