Paris R2: Simon def. Ljubicic 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(4) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Paris R2: Simon def. Ljubicic 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(4)

whattheheck
11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
And Gillou was playing well too when hit with that injury again.:D Thought he was going to retire but he continued with the match and what a comeback.:bounce: Although Ivan did look like the injury and the crowd got to him. Amazing performance, Gillou!:woohoo:

RIboy
11-10-2009, 09:44 PM
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

cakedraw
respect Simon for carrying on, Ljubicic played like an idiot afterwards...

simplet
Simon on one leg - checkmate.

Jōris
11-10-2009, 09:45 PM
:lol:

Certinfy
YES!!! :D Nice one Gilles :)

whattheheck
Dunno how he's gonna play tomorrow

JMG
I saw the last few games. Beautiful and smart tennis from Simon!

bluefork
I can't friggin' believe Ljubicic managed to lose that. Simon couldn't do much of anything, but Ljubicic just gave it to him. Really, really disappointing end to the year for Ljubo.

samanosuke
Fuj smeće jedno .

petar_pan
i have one question: is ljubicic relative with cilic?
that was shame of century.

gaitare
11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
REST YOUR KNEE SIMORON.

And, er, well done. Sad Legenda had to lose so early.

oranges
11-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Fuj smeće jedno .

Talking to yourself there?

Bilbo
see-money delivers

FaceyFacem
that was AMAZINGLY entertaining... i can't believe that happened!

they just hit no-pace slices to each other repeatedly! and then ljubo would miss or gilles would hit a dropshot winner, ha!

whattheheck
Lucky for Simon he gets a day off tomorrow, heard from commentator.

Certinfy
That Forehand my Simon when 0-2* down in the TB was just :worship:

Yappa
WTF was that?! :eek:
I can't believe that Simon won the match by playing the way he did. :lol:

Someone please upload the oncourt interview (Canal+ Sport). I need to see what Simon said right after the match. :)

philosophicalarf
11-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Dunno how he's gonna play tomorrow

Thursday I think, it's R16 - tomorrow is only round2. Either way, wouldn't like his chances against Tsonga here.

TMJordan
:worship: Gilles Simon :worship:

Deathless Mortal
Awful match for me as a tennis fan and awful finish for me as a Ljubo fan.
I can't believe he couldn't beat an injured Simon :o
This was a nice chance for him to get another good result on a MS tournament...
Anyway, it was a good season, I think nobody saw him finishing in top25. :hatoff:

samanosuke
Talking to yourself there?

Da imaš 1% samopoštovanja i dostojanstva nebi se javljala opće .

Ovo je najjniže šta je ikad viđeno u teniskoj igri i još imaš opravdanja

william_renshaw
Comical stuff, but I wonder how injured simon was really ...

Tutu
11-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Now come here and say that Gilles isn't a smart player. :rolleyes: The DROPSHOTs, the CHIPPING AND CHARGING, the SERVE AND VOLLEYS and the fight. :bowdown: That was Gillesrena Simingis out there today. INCREDIBLE. :bowdown: And some of those forehands were just DROOL.

Corey Feldman
11-10-2009, 09:49 PM
:lol: Ljubo

veins in his head were bursting with frustration as the match was slipping away

cakedraw
11-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Comical stuff, but I wonder how injured simon was really ...

I doubt he faked it, the twitch looked painful to me, his chicken legs are fragile.

Bilbo
good result for this sport

Deathless Mortal

Daj tišina tamo kaj briješ ti :retard:

FiBeR
Simon in one leg >>>>>>>> Ljubicic

:worship: what a champ.. balls of steel.. you got to be that good to win this kind of matches :D :aparty: allez simon!!!!

sammy01
11-10-2009, 09:51 PM
well done simon, hope you can play the next match. the seasons nearly over and you can rest that knee.

adingh
11-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Winning even on one leg - that's what we call intelligent tennis :D

Pixie
11-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Tulasne should keep on teaching Simon how to play on one leg - he's far more creative then.

Burrow
11-10-2009, 09:53 PM
What the hell, with these comments I want to see this match, anybody know where parts of it will be available?

cakedraw
11-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Tulasne should keep on teaching Simon how to play on one leg - he's far more creative then.

or Ljuba was far more stupid after Simon picked up an injury, he was barely forcing him to run, where he obviously felt pain.

Frooty_Bazooty
11-10-2009, 09:54 PM
amazing fighting from Gilou!!! so impressive

malisha
11-10-2009, 09:55 PM
i love this game

foul_dwimmerlaik
11-10-2009, 09:57 PM
This Ljubicic is good.

Kudos to Simon for his fight, but a totally idiotic performance from Legenda in the last games. Just gave the match away, bozo.

simplet
11-10-2009, 09:57 PM
WTF was that?! :eek:
I can't believe that Simon won the match by playing the way he did. :lol:

Someone please upload the oncourt interview (Canal+ Sport). I need to see what Simon said right after the match. :)

He said Llubicic probably wanted to punch him in the face after that, but that he didn't fake it and tried not to make a show. He also said that he felt it was pointless to give up, as the match was 3-3 in the final set and at worst he'd play 3 more games and go home. Then he said he felt he might be able to play Thursday but he wasn't sure.

tangerine_dream
11-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Old crotchety Ljooby walked out of there in a huff, didn't he? :lol:

Bernard Black
11-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Poor Ljubicic, he was like a deer in headlights towards the end there, just didn't know what to do.

He's almost too nice to take advantage of an injured player and ended up just chipping shots right at Simon instead of moving him around :lol:

Good fight from Simon but poor sportsmanship to take an injury time out at deuce on your opponents serve in a key game. The rules are there to be taken advantage of though, and Ljubicic should have stayed much calmer and carried on playing the way he had been - he was well on top up until the Simon injury.

betowiec
11-10-2009, 10:00 PM
$EE-money deliver$

Corey Feldman
11-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Old crotchety Ljooby walked out of there in a huff, didn't he? :lol:didnt wait at the net for the handshake :lol:

oranges
11-10-2009, 10:01 PM

If you had any self-respect, you'd stop alternating between licking players' arses and calling them garbage. If you weren't someone desperate to live vicariously through others, you'd laugh, ridicule or just shrug you shoulders. The only question is whether you can get any more pathetic. Whenever I think you can't, you surprise me.

william_renshaw
For those who like to bet, note that when these two last met (Madrid this year), Simon was backed at 1.01 and lost. Today, Ljubicic was backed at 1.01 and lost. I look forward to their next meeting!

In Jan 2007, Marcos Mugdatis was backed at 1.06 (while losing the match) against Gael Monfils at the AO, with Mugfils apparently paralysed. you know what happened after ...

FiBeR
What the hell, with these comments I want to see this match, anybody know where parts of it will be available?

if you re gonna watch the match.. start from the 3-3, 3rd set

(spoiler 7th game 3rd set)

Ljubicic served 30-40... suddenly Simon went for the return and did a very bad move on his already injured knee (he was wearing a band during the whole match).. couldnt finish the game.. after that it was just AMAZING! :D i really enjoyed watching these kind of matches :lol:

Sinerra
11-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Haha that was unbelievable!! I thought Simon was going to retire...
What an idiot this Ljubicic. Even I couldve won this match :p

Well done Gillou!!!! Now beat Tsonga!! :angel:

Burrow
11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
if you re gonna watch the match.. start from the 3-3, 3rd set

(spoiler 7th game 3rd set)

Ljubicic served 30-40... suddenly Simon went for the return and did a very bad move on his already injured knee (he was wearing a band during the whole match).. couldnt finish the game.. after that it was just AMAZING! :D i really enjoyed watching these kind of matches :lol:

oh god..

somebody please make this available soon

Labamba
11-10-2009, 10:04 PM
respect to Simon :hatoff:

Ljubo totally choked after Simon was injured...

FiBeR
11-10-2009, 10:05 PM
didnt wait at the net for the handshake :lol:

he went ahead to shake hands with simon but didnt wait the extra time til Simon got to the net

they did handshake .. simon was really slow so he went on towards gilles :lol:

you make it sound like they didnt shake hands ..

Pixie
or Ljuba was far more stupid after Simon picked up an injury, he was barely forcing him to run, where he obviously felt pain.

yeah always hard to deal with someone who totally change his style of game though that's still surprising from Ljubo who was playing smart tennis until then.

Tutu
It was incredible. :bowdown: I didn't even know Gilles possesed a slice. But her was slicing, chipping and charging, drop shotting. :bowdown:

Yappa
11-10-2009, 10:10 PM
He said Llubicic probably wanted to punch him in the face after that, but that he didn't fake it and tried not to make a show. He also said that he felt it was pointless to give up, as the match was 3-3 in the final set and at worst he'd play 3 more games and go home. Then he said he felt he might be able to play Thursday but he wasn't sure.
Thanks. :yeah:

Yeah, he clearly said that he wanted to finish the match.

Would still be nice though if someone could upload the interview to youtube or something. :)

simplet
11-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Yeah gotta admit some of Simon's shot were absolutely hilarious. At one point at 30 all on his serve he hit 2 dropshots in a row, the first one a backspinner down the line, the second cross-court with sidespin, both winners and both bang on the line.

FiBeR
11-10-2009, 10:11 PM
lines were Simon's best allies today :)

fast_clay
11-10-2009, 10:19 PM
i vomitted in my mouth a little bit at seeing this result... fortunately i managed to swallow it... meat lovers pizza is ok 2nd time up...

just a bad bad result for tennis in general...

leng jai
11-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Legenda must be peaking to take an injured Simon to a final set breaker.

Keijan
11-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah gotta admit some of Simon's shot were absolutely hilarious. At one point at 30 all on his serve he hit 2 dropshots in a row, the first one a backspinner down the line, the second cross-court with sidespin, both winners and both bang on the line.

Those were :worship: What a shame that he has to be injured and unable to run to show that he can do this kind of things !
I hope he rests well now. He has proven once more what a mental rock he is, and boy was it incredible, especially in Paris, with everyone screaming for him :D I can't wait for the Tsonga match up !

Caio_Brasil
11-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Amazing tiebreak from Simon.

Chiakifug
11-10-2009, 10:27 PM
:sobbing: I hate myself for missing it. It sounds amazing. It better be put up somewhere soon.

Gillou :woohoo: :hug:

Guy Haines
11-10-2009, 10:27 PM
i vomitted in my mouth a little bit at seeing this result... fortunately i managed to swallow it... meat lovers pizza is ok 2nd time up...

just a bad bad result for tennis in general...

It was a great result for tennis, because after his injury, Gilles played tactical tennis so brilliantly that it was hilarious. Those back to back drop shots especially.

A big raspberry in the face of all here who claim he doesn't think on court and is just a backboard.

cakedraw
11-10-2009, 10:29 PM
It was a great result for tennis, because after his injury, Gilles played tactical tennis so brilliantly that it was hilarious. Those back to back drop shots especially.

A big raspberry in the face of all here who claim he doesn't think on court and is just a backboard.

Exactly, with limited movement he began to think rationally on how to win points and he succeeded in most of the situations, I was pleasantly surprised by his display.

Nastasie
11-10-2009, 10:39 PM

"You have to spread some reputation around, etc"

rtgy
11-10-2009, 10:40 PM
good result for this sport

:worship::worship::worship:

Simon in one leg >>>>>>>> Ljubicic

:worship: what a champ.. balls of steel.. you got to be that good to win this kind of matches :D :aparty: allez simon!!!!

true:lol:

:rocker2:

Exactly, with limited movement he began to think rationally on how to win points and he succeeded in most of the situations, I was pleasantly surprised by his display.

absolutely........ I share the same opinion here;)

ALLEZ GILLES!!!:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Geo
11-10-2009, 10:43 PM
i can't believe ljubicic lost to a movement-hindered simon :tape: :o :help: :spit:

fast_clay
11-10-2009, 10:44 PM

i didnt see the match, so, i cannot respond to you as i would want... but i was at wimbledon this year, if simon could have asked me to sit atop wimbledon centre court roof with a rifle and plug his calf with lead while he was getting demolished, then later tanked to ferrero i would have done it... if it takes an injury for simon to get industrious in a tight spot then i will gladly help...

or, perhaps, a paris crowd is more worthy of performance than a foreign one... either way, tanking is worse than cheating because at least a cheater wants to win... i left this match feeling robbed myself... that is where my disdain comes from... no so much that his game owns a sedative effect... i'm a murray fan after all...

Jōris
11-10-2009, 10:48 PM

To be fair, Ljubicic being a :retard: after the injury made Simon look like Einstein.

Nastasie
11-10-2009, 10:52 PM
i didnt see the match, so, i cannot respond to you as i would want... but i was at wimbledon this year, if simon could have asked me to sit atop wimbledon centre court roof with a rifle and plug his calf with lead while he was getting demolished, then later tanked to ferrero i would have done it... if it takes an injury for simon to get industrious in a tight spot then i will gladly help...

or, perhaps, a paris crowd is more worthy of performance than a foreign one... either way, tanking is worse than cheating because at least a cheater wants to win... i left this match feeling robbed myself... that is where my disdain comes from... no so much that his game owns a sedative effect... i'm a murray fan after all...

I think maybe you could cut him slack? He had a tough year confidence-wise. He was all over the place mentally, and only recently started to get his mojo back. He's known for his fighting spirit, so I'm sure something was going on there, if he came across as having "tanked".

I won't argue with you about his game. Either you like or you don't. I just wanted to point out that you've likely misjudged him.

MrChopin
11-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Simon's injury timeout is akin to slipping a third rook onto the board. Fortunately for him, he's better than Deep Blue.

sawan66278
11-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Now come here and say that Gilles isn't a smart player. :rolleyes: The DROPSHOTs, the CHIPPING AND CHARGING, the SERVE AND VOLLEYS and the fight. :bowdown: That was Gillesrena Simingis out there today. INCREDIBLE. :bowdown: And some of those forehands were just DROOL.

Exactly. Aside from being a beautiful striker of the ball (a la Mecir), the man is a fighter extraordinaire. You have to remember: the man is not that big...and has there EVER been a player with calves that small/thin? And yet, he takes a beating and fights.

His creativity was reminiscent of Chang/Lendl...and Lubjicic should be ashamed of his collapse and sour puss attitude after choking. Par for the course...Ivan has had a history of whining.

Bascule
11-10-2009, 11:37 PM
My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still...

On the topic:
To lose from a injured pusher??? Ljuba TRUBA!!!

CrossCourt13
11-11-2009, 12:14 AM
You may say Simon was brilliant but actually it was Ljubo who gave him this match and made him look good while doing it.

Simon couldn't move at all and yet Ljubo sent all those slices right at him wtf? We're not talking about one game, but 7 games + tiebreak and I don't remember Ljubo pushing him left then right in one single point. That was so poor and disapointing.
And those dropshots, Ljubo looked surprised even after beeing tricked 3 times in a row, he still didn't see the 4th coming lol

He really didn't react well to that injury, probably thought Simon will give it away one way or the other and then panicked once he realized that won't happen. He was totally clueless at the end, playing chip n charge on match point says it all about his mental state really.

And I don't think he was mad at Simon, more likely at him self for letting this one slip. I actually think he would have won this if not for that injury.

whattheheck
11-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Hope Gillou recovers for that match against Tsonga.

leng jai
11-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Love people using this match as evidence for Simon being a tactical genius :haha:

Doomach777
11-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Ivan why slice ?
Try to attack next time.

Fortes fortuna iuvat.

Ilovetheblues_86
11-11-2009, 05:04 AM
Ivan had blisters in the hand no? Thats wy we picked Simon in TT. :worship:

El Legenda
11-11-2009, 05:16 AM
Ljubo was injured too....

leng jai
11-11-2009, 06:27 AM

Brain injury?

Nastasie
11-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Love people using this match as evidence for Simon being a tactical genius :haha:

I don't think Simon is a tactical genius. "Genius" is a word I'd rather not use lightly. But people who actually pay attention to his game note time and time again that he can be tactically very smart, while people who don't like his game just say "no he isn't". And in the words of Michael Palin, "That isn't an argument. That's just contradiction."

In other words: care to elaborate?

slyspy17
11-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Ljubiic is such a compassionate piece of a shit.

How does he go from hitting the ball hard to slicing and also slicing back to Simon instead of to the sides to force Simon to run.

This guy obviously wanted to let Simon win and make it appear it was a gruelling test of minds when all he did was lose anyone who betted on him money. ****ing a$$hole

Doomach777
11-11-2009, 11:35 AM

Yes. he had problem with his hand. And in 1st rnd match too.

rocketassist
11-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Legenda is finished.

Gillou is the worst player nickname ever.

Deivid23
11-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Yesterday Ljubo was the choking mug :o

Nastasie
11-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Legenda is finished.

Gillou is the worst player nickname ever.

"Gillou" is the common nickname for "Gilles" in French. It's not his "player nickname".

roberthenman
11-11-2009, 01:47 PM
good victory Simon

rtgy
11-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Brain injury?

:rolls:

Ljubiic is such a compassionate piece of a shit.

How does he go from hitting the ball hard to slicing and also slicing back to Simon instead of to the sides to force Simon to run.

This guy obviously wanted to let Simon win and make it appear it was a gruelling test of minds when all he did was lose anyone who betted on him money. ****ing a$$hole

I couldn't agree more!!! :yeah:

samanosuke
11-11-2009, 05:54 PM
If you had any self-respect, you'd stop alternating between licking players' arses and calling them garbage. If you weren't someone desperate to live vicariously through others, you'd laugh, ridicule or just shrug you shoulders. The only question is whether you can get any more pathetic. Whenever I think you can't, you surprise me.

Bravo , bravo . Možeš biti ponosna na sebe šta si tako savjesna i mudro zboriš .

MsTree
11-11-2009, 06:36 PM
oh god..

somebody please make this available soon

MU links on Torrent thread :D

Guy Haines
11-11-2009, 06:40 PM
"Gillou" is the common nickname for "Gilles" in French. It's not his "player nickname".
Well put, but wasted on someone who never misses an opportunity to be petty and vindictive. It's some kind of side effect of putting way too much importance on tennis, and it overruns MTF GM.

Telling guys or dudes here that there is life outside a tv/ computer showing tennis (I bet many don't even play) is a major newsflash. You'd think Gilles Simon was a war criminal.

Burrow
11-11-2009, 07:03 PM
no footage anywhere yet?

Chiakifug
11-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Courtesy of MsTree from Gilles forums, hope she doesnt mind me posting it here! Many thanks to her :wavey:

warmup http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XAATR4VX
set1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2MVDWRA1
set2 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LYU8YHJ5
set3 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8H1G9F7E

Nastasie
11-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Well put, but wasted on someone who never misses an opportunity to be petty and vindictive. It's some kind of side effect of putting way too much importance on tennis, and it overruns MTF GM.

Telling guys or dudes here that there is life outside a tv/ computer showing tennis (I bet many don't even play) is a major newsflash. You'd think Gilles Simon was a war criminal.

Oh, well. It only took me a few seconds. ;)

I know, but a lot of them are really young, so there's hope. :p But yeah, "Simon is bad for tennis" has become a like a reflex. People keep parroting that without realizing how ludicrous it is. I also love the superior attitude, like when you mention something you like/dislike about a player or match and the reply is " :haha: ". Well, how can you argue with such stunning reasoning? :lol: