Should Receiving A Medical Timeout Incur A Point Penalty? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should Receiving A Medical Timeout Incur A Point Penalty?

william_renshaw
11-10-2009, 04:51 PM
This year has seen a record number of incidences of trainers being called to court and medical timeouts during matches. A number of these timeouts are clearly used to break the momentum of opponents, while others seem to be for cramping / general loss of condition rather than an injury as such.

The abuse of injury timeouts and players faking injuries is becoming laughable. Players should be allowed to receive treatment for genuine injuries, we want as few matches as possible being ended early by default. But the only way to stop the faking is to have a point penalty for receiving treatment. If you have a genuine injury, you would still take the timeout; if you are using the timeout to change momentum, a point penalty would make you think twice.

maxardy
11-10-2009, 04:54 PM
trainers must be banned for treating people with fake symptoms. they should diagnose and if the guy is faking to say : good bye pal, go and play

bluefork
11-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Actually, your suggestion makes a lot of sense. If the injury timeout disrupts play, why not think of it as a time violation? Give a warning first, but a point penalty for any successive medical timeouts.

JolánGagó
11-10-2009, 05:33 PM
stop trolling.

william_renshaw
11-10-2009, 08:57 PM
trainers must be banned for treating people with fake symptoms. they should diagnose and if the guy is faking to say : good bye pal, go and play

No way to tell for sure, it would create too much controversy.

A point penalty if you have a genuine injury is admittedly harsh, but it would cut out the faking altogether and so is a price worth paying imo. Unfortunately there are some players who are repeat offenders and will continue the questionable tactics unless something is done about it.

Roddickominator
11-10-2009, 09:29 PM
I'd rather get rid of it completely...or at the very least get a little treatment between sets only. Disrupting play is a competitive advantage and is being abused by many pros.

TeamID
11-10-2009, 09:45 PM
A point penalty will cause medical timeouts to be used even more. Think about it, if it's only one point for a massage players will use it. Players will just start taking massages and sacrificing useless points.

moon language
11-11-2009, 03:42 AM
A point penalty will cause medical timeouts to be used even more. Think about it, if it's only one point for a massage players will use it. Players will just start taking massages and sacrificing useless points.

This makes no sense.

Haelfix
11-11-2009, 05:40 AM
I think after the first freebie timeout, that yes it makes sense to start docking points. The limit of 3 per match should still be enforced though.

Roddickominator
11-11-2009, 07:26 AM
I think after the first freebie timeout, that yes it makes sense to start docking points. The limit of 3 per match should still be enforced though.

Why even allow that, though? Being able to disrupt an opponent's rhythm in a match is absurd in the first place, being able to do it 3 times is criminal. Obviously there are some cases where something actually happens....but save it for the end of the set unless you literally can't walk....at which point you should just forfeit the match.

Kolya
11-11-2009, 07:27 AM
No.

MrChopin
11-11-2009, 07:38 AM
No. The death penalty.

leng jai
11-11-2009, 07:40 AM
No. The death penalty.

But only for tournaments that are played in countries that condone it.

Goldenoldie
11-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Not a completely silly suggestion, but I don't agree with any of the options in the poll.

I think one injury timeout should be allowed, but only one. The second time a player is unable to continue without the trainer he should forfeit the match.

Orka_n
11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Not a completely silly suggestion, but I don't agree with any of the options in the poll.

I think one injury timeout should be allowed, but only one. The second time a player is unable to continue without the trainer he should forfeit the match.Nicely put. I agree.

william_renshaw
09-10-2010, 12:13 AM
More injury timeouts in this US Open than I can remember in any previous major. Some of them clearly tactical. A point penalty is the only way to stop this nonsense.

Snowwy
09-10-2010, 12:19 AM
That Youznhy timeout was bullshit, even Djokovic woldnt do that,