What is the impact of Agassi's confessions on Sampras' legacy? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What is the impact of Agassi's confessions on Sampras' legacy?

Start da Game
11-10-2009, 03:27 PM
agassi confessed that he used crystal meth in 1997 and to no one's surprise people are divided over this issue........

on the other hand, how does this whole thing impact sampras' legacy? agassi was the chief rival of sampras who dominated agassi more than anyone when it mattered the most in slams.......agassi, (according to one of agassi's own admissions earlier) even on some of his best days, was sent back packing in 90 minutes.......greatest example - wimbledon 99 final.......

for the moment, it's all unclear still.......but if agassi was on drugs several times in big matches, does that make sampras' victories even more special? sampras himself is a permanent patient of thalassemia (spelling? a disease that causes anemia and tires you out quickly) and to overcome a player on performance enhancing drugs must be quite a task.......

crystal meth is performance enhancing, according to this report.......

http://chemistry.about.com/od/medicalhealth/a/crystalmeth.htm

Start da Game
11-10-2009, 03:32 PM
i still have plenty of respect for agassi and hope that he did not take it on a regular basis........but if he did, then that's something else to think over.......

BlueSwan
11-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Apparently Agassi took meth while his career was in a slump, not while he was winning slams.

JolánGagó
11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
No impact whatsoever.

Arkulari
11-10-2009, 03:47 PM
It doesn't impact Sampras' legacy :shrug:

maxardy
11-10-2009, 03:49 PM
does meth give you an upper hand? thought it's just affecting your mind

SetSampras
11-10-2009, 05:24 PM
does meth give you an upper hand? thought it's just affecting your mind

I guess not since around the time Andre was using he was having his worst career results dropping all the way to 141 in the world.

As for what impact this has on Sampras? I dont think any. One has to wonder though if Andre cared more about the game and winning during his early and what should have been his prime years, would he have been a more feared rival to Sampras? Would he have achieved more than 8 slams? And how consistent would he have been? Andre is still one of all the time greats, grabbed 8 slams, the masters records, a gold medal and had crazy longevity. If he wasnt so concerned about his image and life off the court, what would he really have accomplished?

Burrow
11-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Where is proof that Agassi was on drugs (PERFORMANCE ENHANCERS) during big matches?

thrust
11-10-2009, 07:29 PM
None. Pete is still the greater player and a more honorable MAN, something Andre never was or will be.

Burrow
11-10-2009, 07:36 PM
:lol: What a load of bullshit.

Commander Data
11-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Zero Impact.

Useless thread.

Sophocles
11-10-2009, 08:09 PM
If you look at the link in the original post, the overall immediate effects of crystal meth don't sound terribly performance-enhancing. How is Sampras's legacy affected by Agassi's taking a non-performance-enhancing drug at a time when he was largely absent from the tour? Not at all.

Roddickominator
11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
None....it just solidifies a bit more what we always knew, that Agassi is the rebel wildchild and Pete is his polar opposite.

Action Jackson
11-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Zero.

leng jai
11-10-2009, 10:27 PM
They are erasing Clownpras from the record books as we speak.

fast_clay
11-10-2009, 10:30 PM
:lol:

TMJordan
11-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Agassi is a douche and Pete is the man?

Guy Haines
11-10-2009, 11:08 PM
When he confessed that Sampras is a bad tipper, it perfectly fit every 'right wing asshole' story I've heard from people who've encountered Sampras in recent years. As an old man he'll likely have a rifle and a lot of 'No trespassing' signs.

MrChopin
11-10-2009, 11:19 PM
90s were a super era. Dopers had to fight to stay above #120. That is all.

When he confessed that Sampras is a bad tipper, it perfectly fit every 'right wing asshole' story I've heard from people who've encountered Sampras in recent years. As an old man he'll likely have a rifle and a lot of 'No trespassing' signs.

But not "whiny left wing opportunist bitch" on the part of Agassi, thinking his book denouncing Sampras as a bad tipper is somehow fit to make money?

Guy Haines
11-10-2009, 11:30 PM
90s were a super era. Dopers had to fight to stay above #120. That is all.

But not "whiny left wing opportunist bitch" on the part of Agassi, thinking his book denouncing Sampras as a bad tipper is somehow fit to make money?

Touché. Tbh I'm not a fan of either, and found Agassi's end of career Lou Gehrig routines close to unbearable.

But the amount of bogus righteousness his still unreleased book has engendered - the self-appointed moralists (hypocrites in many cases) on GM are a fine example, with all b.s. and innuendo they spout about doping - has been pretty funny to see so far. They should thank him for a reason to complain and tut-tut every day.

Start da Game
11-11-2009, 01:15 AM
i personally feel that all this will make pete's victories even more special and take his greatness to another level.......even agassi + {performance enhancing drugs} could not stop sampras who was actually battling a disease through out his career.......

Start da Game
11-11-2009, 01:17 AM
If you look at the link in the original post, the overall immediate effects of crystal meth don't sound terribly performance-enhancing. How is Sampras's legacy affected by Agassi's taking a non-performance-enhancing drug at a time when he was largely absent from the tour? Not at all.

what is the proof that agassi was never on drugs except that one time?

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Agassi confessed that he tanked 2 Australian Opens and wigged-away one French Open, so that brings him closer to Sampras' legacy.

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 01:20 AM
what is the proof that agassi was never on drugs except that one time?

Same as the proof that Sampras was never on drugs.

Start da Game
11-11-2009, 01:28 AM
problem with your explanation is, no one is ready to believe agassi anymore.......

Mimi
11-11-2009, 01:33 AM
None. Pete is still the greater player and a more honorable MAN, something Andre never was or will be.
:worship::worship:

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Hypothetically if Agassi did use meth after 1997 it would have shown how incredibly gifted he was to win titles despite the debilitating meth.

Start da Game
11-11-2009, 01:43 AM
Hypothetically if Agassi did use meth after 1997 it would have shown how incredibly gifted he was to win titles despite the debilitating meth.

the medical page which i posted in the first post reads that crystal meth can be performance enhancing........it increases energy, alertness and reduces fatigue........and those effects last for about 12 hours........

Mechlan
11-11-2009, 01:45 AM
It's just funny that all these people who would have walked around with no clue that Agassi ever did drugs are now ready to toss away every achievement of his ever because of the crystal meth admission. You guys remind me of politicians... all black and white and no ability to look at shades of gray.

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 01:50 AM
the medical page which i posted in the first post reads that crystal meth can be performance enhancing........it increases energy, alertness and reduces fatigue........and those effects last for about 12 hours........

http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/Drug_Guide/Crystal_Meth
What are its short-term effects?
The drug’s effects are similar to those of cocaine but longer lasting. Crystal Meth can cause erratic, violent behavior among its users. Effects include suppressed appetite, interference with sleeping behavior, mood swings and unpredictability, tremors and convulsions, increased blood pressure, irregular heart rate. Users may also experience homicidal or suicidal thoughts, prolonged anxiety, paranoia and insomnia.

What are its long-term effects?
Long-term effects of Crystal Meth use can include brain damage (similar to the effects of Parkinson’s disease or Alzheimer’s disease), coma, stroke or death. Chronic users may also develop distinct physical symptoms, as demonstrated by before and after pictures in the Faces of MethTM program. Signs of chronic use include weight loss, tooth decay and cracked teeth (“Meth Mouth”), psychosis and hallucinations, sores on the body from picking at skin, and formication (an abnormal skin sensation akin to "bugs crawling on skin").

Yeah sounds terribly performance enhancing :lol:

Haelfix
11-11-2009, 04:08 AM
Agassi was still the great player that everyone remembers him as. His drug use most likely had zero impact on his level of tennis as an athlete and if anything probably hurt him a little (but probably not that much either). Arguably the depression was more debilitating b/c tennis is so mental.

As far as tanking matches go. Well gee, almost every great player has tanked a match. Whether its Pete, Borg, Andre, McEnroe or Federer. In a long season year in and year out, there comes a time where you simply don't fight for a match. Big deal, thats part of being a proffessional athlete. These guys are human beings, not cyborgs.

Quakes
11-11-2009, 04:46 AM

So true. :worship:

Ilovetheblues_86
11-11-2009, 04:47 AM
None.

Start da Game
11-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Yeah sounds terribly performance enhancing :lol:

it depends on the dosage.......true that there are some adverse effects when taken excessively but definitely there are performance enhancing effects too and that too instantly.......

Start da Game
11-11-2009, 07:52 AM
None.

in any case, we can safely conclude that the impact is positive and > or = none.......

Goldenoldie
11-11-2009, 08:28 AM
I don't like one word posts, so three words - not one iota

Sophocles
11-11-2009, 08:42 AM
What Are the Effects of Methamphetamine Use?
This is a list of effects associated with pure methamphetamine use. Because of how it's made, crystal meth is never pure, so the dangers associated with taking the street drug extend beyond these effects.

Common Immediate Effects

* Euphoria
* Increased energy and alertness
* Diarrhea and nausea
* Excessive sweating
* Loss of appetite, insomnia, tremors, jaw-clenching
* Agitation, irritability, talkativeness, panic, compulsive fascination with repetitive tasks, violence, confusion
* Increased libido
* Increased blood pressure, body temperature, heart rate, blood sugar levels, bronchodilation
* Constriction of the walls of the arterties
* In pregnant and nursing women, methampetamine crosses the placenta and is secreted in breast milk

OVERALL, this is not performance-enhancing. I've never taken crystal meth, but I have taken other (milder) stimulants, and the idea I'd have been ready to play professional sport in that state is laughable. The fact I could barely concentrate on my own sentences suggests I'd have been incapable of keeping track of the score, for a start.

Start da Game
11-11-2009, 09:11 AM
What Are the Effects of Methamphetamine Use?
This is a list of effects associated with pure methamphetamine use. Because of how it's made, crystal meth is never pure, so the dangers associated with taking the street drug extend beyond these effects.

Common Immediate Effects

* Euphoria
* Increased energy and alertness
* Diarrhea and nausea
* Excessive sweating
* Loss of appetite, insomnia, tremors, jaw-clenching
* Agitation, irritability, talkativeness, panic, compulsive fascination with repetitive tasks, violence, confusion
* Increased libido
* Increased blood pressure, body temperature, heart rate, blood sugar levels, bronchodilation
* Constriction of the walls of the arterties
* In pregnant and nursing women, methampetamine crosses the placenta and is secreted in breast milk

OVERALL, this is not performance-enhancing. I've never taken crystal meth, but I have taken other (milder) stimulants, and the idea I'd have been ready to play professional sport in that state is laughable. The fact I could barely concentrate on my own sentences suggests I'd have been incapable of keeping track of the score, for a start.

the symptoms do include performance enhancing characteristics.......if it was not performance enhancing, no one would be asking agassi to give his money and titles back.......safin, nastasie, navratilova they are all not talking for nothing.......

moreover, what's the guarantee that he did not consume other drugs as well? he said he cheated ATP once.......who knows if he did it more than once?

Sophocles
11-11-2009, 09:21 AM
the symptoms do include performance enhancing characteristics.......if it was not performance enhancing, no one would be asking agassi to give his money and titles back.......safin, nastasie, navratilova they are all not talking for nothing.......

moreover, what's the guarantee that he did not consume other drugs as well? he said he cheated ATP once.......who knows if he did it more than once?

Look, increased energy & alertness is the only performance-enhancing effect, but anyone with any experience of this kind of drug knows that the energy & alertness in question are of a hypomanic kind - undirected, distractable, unconducive to any kind of sustained effort. On top of that, you've also got diarrhoea, nausea, excessive sweating, constricted arteries (making physical effort harder), tremors, agitation, confusion, increased body temperature, & a serious dose of the horn. Are you seriously saying this is the state you want to be playing professional tennis in?

As for any other drugs, obviously we don't know. I'm talking about what we know.

Start da Game
11-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Look, increased energy & alertness is the only performance-enhancing effect, but anyone with any experience of this kind of drug knows that the energy & alertness in question are of a hypomanic kind - undirected, distractable, unconducive to any kind of sustained effort. On top of that, you've also got diarrhoea, nausea, excessive sweating, constricted arteries (making physical effort harder), tremors, agitation, confusion, increased body temperature, & a serious dose of the horn. Are you seriously saying this is the state you want to be playing professional tennis in?

As for any other drugs, obviously we don't know. I'm talking about what we know.

it's no where written that all those effects will occur on everyone........nastase and safin know better, ask them........

Sophocles
11-11-2009, 10:42 AM
it's no where written that all those effects will occur on everyone........nastase and safin know better, ask them........

I think Nastase & Safin are concentrating on the lying, but in any case, I'll take my judgment over theirs.

JolánGagó
11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
crystal meth is definitely NOT performance enhancing, as anyone ever trying any similar recreational drugs will tell you.

gjr
11-11-2009, 11:04 AM

Ah, no, sorry, there's a little bit of a printing mistake. We're trying to get the books reprinted. The quote should be "bad tripper", not "bad tipper". Sorry about that. If we miss the first edition, you can buy the gold laded definitive edition early next year.

Sunset of Age
11-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Ah, no, sorry, there's a little bit of a printing mistake. We're trying to get the books reprinted. The quote should be "bad tripper", not "bad tipper". Sorry about that. If we miss the first edition, you can buy the gold laded definitive edition early next year.

:rolls:

shmeeko69
11-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Has really put me off the guy who along with Rodger
& Johnny Mac, was one of my three favourite all time players.

Why he has now found a guilty conscience, gods knows !

Andre Agassi (http://news.uk.msn.com/photos/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=150798107)

Mark :confused:

thrust
11-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Agassi is a douche and Pete is the man?

CORRECT!!

thrust
11-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Agassi confessed that he tanked 2 Australian Opens and wigged-away one French Open, so that brings him closer to Sampras' legacy.

Why would anyone, with half a brain, believe that Andre tanked a Slam match or lost another final because of a wig? Why would anyone believe ANYTHING Andre Agassi says?