Safin says Agassi should give titles, money back [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin says Agassi should give titles, money back

Bijoux0021
11-10-2009, 11:58 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gzL-spYTYA4tBlC0V9L0JepFT3BgD9BSK7L00

Safin says Agassi should give titles, money back

(AP) – 1 hour ago

PARIS — Former No. 1-ranked Marat Safin believes that Andre Agassi should give his tennis titles back after confessing he tested positive for a banned substance during his career and lied about it to the ATP.

Agassi admitted in his autobiography "Open" that he used crystal meth in 1997 and failed a drug test, a result he says was thrown out after he lied by saying he "unwittingly" took the substance.

Safin, who plans to retire this month, said in an interview with L'Equipe newspaper on Tuesday that Agassi should "give his titles, his money and his Grand Slam titles" back.

"I'm not defending the ATP, but what he said put it in a delicate position," Safin said. "The ATP allowed him to win a lot of tournaments, a lot of money. It kept his secret. Why does he need to be so cruel with it?"

Agassi, who retired in 2006, won 60 titles, including eight Grand Slams, during his career. He recently told The Associated Press that he had to speak about his lies because he couldn't live with it anymore.

"If he is as fair play as he says he is, he has to go to the end," Safin said. "You know, the ATP has a bank account and he can give the money back if he wants."

Safin, who will retire after this week's Paris Masters, won the 2000 U.S. Open and 2005 Australian Open. The 29-year-old Russian said he isn't going to write his autobiography when his career will be over.

"Me, I don't need money," he said. "The question is: Why did he do this? What is done is done. Does he hope to sell more books? It's absolutely stupid."

RafitoGoat
11-10-2009, 12:02 PM
:wavey:safin:wavey:

dudili
11-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Safin is absolutely right.
Agassi is the worst sort of hypocrite.

MariaV
11-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Of course Safin is right.

BaselineSmash
11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Entertainingly provocative comments from Safin, who's never been rhapsodic about Agassi. I wonder if anything lies behind his quite public antipathy? Could just be that he dislikes the holier-than-thou facade Andre has upkept over the years post-1998.

Of course, it could be something more petty, like some lingering resentment Marat might have about losing that TMC match to Agassi that would have cemented year-end no. 1 for him if he'd won. Shame about the ankle injury that day in 2000...

GugaF1
11-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Brilliant Safin, what a bright and viable idea. :retard::retard:

tennis2tennis
11-10-2009, 12:41 PM

why the hell not! if everyone's jumping on 'the-isn't-Andre-so-noble-to-tell-the-truth' bullshit, let him show just how honest he is by giving the dough back or is there limitation to his honesty;

if that's hard he should donate every penny he makes from his biography to the anti-doping body!

Puschkin
11-10-2009, 12:46 PM

Marat never shied away from his own opinion, why should he now?

zethand
11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I agree!

Foxy
11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Safin is so damn right!

GugaF1
11-10-2009, 12:51 PM
why the hell not! if everyone's jumping on 'the-isn't-Andre-so-noble-to-tell-the-truth' bullshit, let him show just how honest he is by giving the dough back or is there limitation to his honesty;

if that's hard he should donate every penny he makes from his biography to the anti-doping body!

Get a clue! Is like saying I am gonna refound some of the companies I have wroked for. Because while working there. I have smoked some pod with friends and when I joined the company, they had it in the contract and even took a medical exam, to make sure I had no drugs on my system.

Why do people think that Tennis players or 'famous' people live in a different world than regular people do. People should try and put yourself under other's shoes from time to time. It works wonders in giving you a better perspective.

GugaF1
11-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Marat never shied away from his own opinion, why should he now?

his opinion is stupid. Is the type of stuff you joke around with friends in a bar with friends after some beers. It is pure idealistic crap.

MariaV
11-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Get a clue! Is like saying I am gonna refound some of the companies I have wroked for. Because while working there. I have smoked some pod with friends and when I joined the company, they had it in the contract and even took a medical exam, to make sure I had no drugs on my system.

Why do people think that Tennis players or 'famous' people live in a different world than regular people do. People should try and put yourself under other's shoes from time to time. It works wonders in giving you a better perspective.

Do you come out with "confessions" 10 years after the fact?

GlennMirnyi
11-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Refund, not refound.

Safin isn't actually saying Fakegassi should really give his money back. He's saying Fakegassi should quit being all talk.

Action Jackson
11-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Good stuff Safin, but as likely as women giving birth through their arse.

tennis2tennis
11-10-2009, 01:07 PM

diagree bro, athletes don't have the same contracts as every regular joe with a 9 to 5.

They sign contracts which gives them membership of the associations that clearly state they CAN NOT USE DRUGS be it recreational or not in exchange for abiding by those strict rules they can then get 6 figure endorsement deals should they excel, they get to MAKE MONEY OUT OF THEIR IMAGE something you and I will never do -not matter how much weed or crack we avoid!

GugaF1
11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Do you come out with "confessions" 10 years after the fact?

Sure, don't most people ? or do you go around confessing things that can bring you trouble right there ? Don't most biographies are full of that stuff, that 'if everyone knew at the time'

If I ever write an Autbiography, it sure to contain many stuff that I didn't necesseraly felt like I could open at the time. If it wasn't done there, it can no longer be done at all then? Again, idealistic stuff.

Action Jackson
11-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Looks like we have the Portuguese agent for Agassi's book on MTF.

MariaV
11-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Sure, don't most people ? or do you go around confessing things that can bring you trouble right there ? Don't most biographies are full of that stuff, that 'if everyone knew at the time'

If I ever write an Autbiography, it sure to contain many stuff that I didn't necesseraly felt like I could open at the time. If it wasn't done there, it can no longer be done at all then? Again, idealistic stuff.

I personally keep my mouth shut, at least I try to. :D

Oh, you think people would buy your autobiography? :D

gulzhan
11-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't like it that Marat commented on the issue. It's stupid.

Yes, he is always streighforward but still. What should he have answered? Don't know, maybe something general?

I personally like it that Agassi confessed :tape: :lol: Now I can always argue that the Williamses take meth and WTA covers them :bounce:

andylovesaustin
11-10-2009, 01:36 PM
What would Agassi's punishment been if he hadn't lied?

Would he have been suspended for say... a year or something? Would he have been fined?

You know what would be cool for Agassi to do to make this "right,"? Maybe he should start or contribute to a tennis player counseling center or something like that? Or maybe one for professional atheletes in general? He could take the money he would have been fined, and make a huge contribution to help those struggling with addiction??

Forehander
11-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Agassi you heard the man.

betowiec
11-10-2009, 01:40 PM
good one marat

andylovesaustin
11-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Agassi you heard the man.

:lol:

GugaF1
11-10-2009, 01:44 PM
I personally keep my mouth shut, at least I try to. :D

Oh, you think people would buy your autobiography? :D

Not it was hypotetical. But who knows, eh.

VolandriFan
11-10-2009, 01:56 PM
If crystal meth was actually a performance enhancing drug, then Agassi may well have considered what Safin just said.

Foxy
11-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Why do you think being a drug addict is normal? Only because you are/were taking drugs doesn't mean everybody is doing that and it is normal. And no, these people should be role models. What role model will be Agassi now?

I've never smoked a cigarette, nor used any kind of drug nor drinking alcohol apart from a beer every now and then.

tennis2tennis
11-10-2009, 02:02 PM
If crystal meth was actually a performance enhancing drug, then Agassi may well have considered what Safin just said.
how many times are we going to go through this? HE DIDN'T CHEAT IN TERMS OF IMPROVING, BUT HE CHEATED BY AVOIDING THE PUNISHMENT THAT ALL THE OTHER PLAYERS WOULD HAVE HAD!

fast_clay
of any player on tour in the last decade, it is marat safin who should best know that crystal meth f**ks you up properly...

for me, there is a massive problem inside lack of understanding between a recreational drug and a performance enhancer... there is a clear divide between the two with a notable exception or two... people need to wake the f**k up...

Everko
Nastase says this and gets slammed.

Safin says it 2nd and now its a brilliant idea.

:rolleyes:

Gretchen.
11-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't think he should give them all back maybe just the French :devil: :p

Though like some players who haven't said that they still respect him as a person give him a break, he just wants Agassi to shut up and that he should have never come out with this.

JolánGagó
11-10-2009, 02:08 PM
"The ATP allowed him to win a lot of tournaments, a lot of money. It kept his secret. Why does he need to be so cruel with it?"

What are your own little dirty secrets with ATP you will never ever reveal, Marat? What did they "allow" you to do and make?

Surreal.

MariaV
11-10-2009, 02:09 PM
"The ATP allowed him to win a lot of tournaments, a lot of money. It kept his secret. Why does he need to be so cruel with it?"

What are your own little dirty secrets with ATP you won't never ever reveal, Marat? What did they "allow" you to do and make?

Surreal.

Marat already said that don't expect any revelations/confessions from him. :D

JolánGagó
11-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Why do you think being a drug addict is normal? Only because you are/were taking drugs doesn't mean everybody is doing that and it is normal. And no, these people should be role models. What role model will be Agassi now?

I've never smoked a cigarette, nor used any kind of drug nor drinking alcohol apart from a beer every now and then.

Please go and dump your moralistic crap onto your own children, sister, dog, whatever... not in my backyard, thank you.

llama
11-10-2009, 02:12 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gzL-spYTYA4tBlC0V9L0JepFT3BgD9BSK7L00

Agassi, who retired in 2006, won 60 titles, including eight Grand Slams, during his career.
"Me, I don't need money," he said. "The question is: Why did he do this? What is done is done. Does he hope to sell more books? It's absolutely stupid."

Ummm - at the time he was taking it he wa No. 141 in the world and not winning ANY tournaments. And what the hell does "why does he need to be so cruel with it? mean???

I think Safin's on something.

oranges
11-10-2009, 02:13 PM
of any player on tour in the last decade, it is marat safin who should best know that crystal meth f**ks you up properly...

Huh? Why is that?

I kind of like that he's poking Agassi to back up his words with some action, but that part about the confession being cruel towards the ATP is laughable. If the cover up was based on the assessment that the offense is inconsequential, than amend the fucking rules. If not, enforce them on all equally. Who wants a corrupt ATP and why?

tennis elbow
11-10-2009, 02:16 PM

[B][SIZE="3"]
The 29-year-old Russian said he isn't going to write his autobiography when his career will be over.

Sh!t, there goes our chance to find out about what went on in those wild orgy parties, with free running powder and pot and strings of naked bimbos and eunuchs, dolls and hard raw vegetables for every fit :( :mad:

shmeeko69
11-10-2009, 02:17 PM
You'll probably find that some tennis players, like
other sports people, have dabbled with some sort of
illegal substance.

Why Agassi has chosen now to confess, is a bit of a
mystery, I don't think it was to sell more books ?

Mark :worship:

tennis2tennis
11-10-2009, 02:19 PM
If the cover up was based on the assessment that the offense is inconsequential, than amend the fucking rules. If not, enforce them on all equally.

thank you,:worship:

momo_momo
11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
This is fun.
When Marat's provoked by the press to answer questions, he just talks and fires away humor and seriousness at the same time.

I agree with someone who said that it isn't about performance enhancing.
He should've been penalized... accidentally or not. The rule applies to everyone or no one. Kinda unfair to tennis players who got banned from tennis.

Count on Marat to hit some nerves before Bercy ends.

I hope the ATP does resolve this issue before it turns sour.

tennis2tennis
11-10-2009, 02:22 PM

What are your own little dirty secrets with ATP you will never ever reveal, Marat? What did they "allow" you to do and make?

Surreal.

I don't think Marat is defending the ATP, he's trying to understand Andre's rational, why give the finger to the establishment, if they backed you up? Andre confessing doesn't exonerate his part in the whole sorry deal!

tennis elbow
11-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Huh? Why is that?

because, given his wild life and party going personality, Marat, of all players, is one of the least probable to have never experimented or witnessed recreational drug usage...

fast_clay
11-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Huh? Why is that?

i am pretty stupid a lot of the time.... but, not naive enough to believe that some russian big shot hasn't at least offered to powder marat's nose for him at some point... not saying he indulged or anything... ;)

given that, he's already stated that you won't be hearing similar revelations from him while he is alive and kicking...

he can pretty much say what he wants now... and then, next week, disappear into some commentary booth by day... nightclub by night...

tennis2tennis
11-10-2009, 02:32 PM
because, given his wild life and party going personality, Marat, of all players, is one of the least probable to have never experimented or witnessed recreational drug usage...

Marat's not having a go at Andre because he's taking he moral high ground; (i.e. look I'm clean and he's not) he's testing Andre's look I'm a reformed guy who's seen the light act...

Action Jackson
11-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Seen the light to sell books. Tarango still hates Agassian for Agassi claiming he was hooking when they were 8.

oranges
11-10-2009, 02:35 PM

He's hardly the crystal meth type. It's not really a party drug, more a let-me-waste-myself-to-oblivion type.

Jōris
11-10-2009, 02:36 PM
These sort of comments are almost never unprovoked. Didn't Agassi comment some months ago that Safina was the worst no. 1?

fast_clay
11-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Marat's not having a go at Andre because he's taking he moral high ground; (i.e. look I'm clean and he's not) he's testing Andre's look I'm a reformed guy who's seen the light act...

knowing safin's dry and spectator-like humour, you're probably spot on... the poeple's voice...

GugaF1
11-10-2009, 02:51 PM

Who talked about drug addiction ? I didn't say I take it, I am talking about hypotetical, pay attention to what you reading please. Agassi wasn't a drug addict, the indication is that he experimented with it. There is no way that you can become a full recreational drug addict and keep your other 'gig' as a top tennis player.

Drug expriemntation is quite normal, I don't know the exact number % but the majority of people has experimented some kind at sometime. And as a matter of fact, there are some legal drugs that can be even more harmful.

Orka_n
11-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Oh my... Am I the only one getting tired of all the useless DRAMA around Agassi? The man's a clown. End of story. Who cares what he does with his prize money? What is this, the yellow press? These mug threads need to stop popping up.

duong
11-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Safin is absolutely right.
Agassi is the worst sort of hypocrite.

Actually it's rather Safin here who advocates self-accepted hypocrisy.

I didn't know this side from Safin (although I'm not really surprised considering his Russian environment and culture, as I will suggest later)

but what he has said since the beginning of that "Agassi story" is that you always have to stay hypocrite and keep your mouth shut about "those things" :

- he first said that if he had done it, he wouldn't have said it,

- now he defends the ATP "because they have protected him" (by the way, the title of the American article is misleading as Safin's main point in the French interview is not that Agassi should give his titles back -it's an auxiliary exclamation-, but rather that he should shut his mouth for the ATP)

Openly, honestly ... but self-accepted hypocrite.

Now here's my personal explanation about that position :

I think it's the position of someone who has learnt that you have to accept a system and its hypocrisies, and shut your mouth about what you see.

This is typical of Russian culture from what I've been said :

in history (even before communism, also in the Tsars' time), Russians have been used to accepting this way of living and behaving, it was the Tsars, then communism, now the mafia and "protectors".

Also, a person in such a high position as Safin in Russia surely has had relationships with "protectors" like that and knows this "conduct code".

Here I think that he applies to the ATP what he has learnt how to live in his Russian environment.

Scotso
11-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Agassi admitted in his autobiography "Open" that he used crystal meth in 1997 and failed a drug test, a result he says was thrown out after he lied by saying he "unwittingly" took the substance.

Wow. I guess this proves once and for all that the ATP is going to let the popular money-drawing players get away with murder.

duong
11-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Refund, not refound.

Safin isn't actually saying Fakegassi should really give his money back. He's saying Fakegassi should quit being all talk.

precisely : everyone has jumped on this "he should give his titles back" exclamation, but it's only an exclamation like "since he says that, why not go until the end" :

the real meaning of what he says is that he should have shut his mouth up because he involves the ATP in that, despite them protecting him in the past.

gulzhan
11-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I think it's the position of someone who has learnt that you have to accept a system and its hypocrisies, and shut your mouth about what you see.

I thought it was strange that Safin said so! Safin is too smart to say such a crap!

As to your principle of honesty :eek: I personally don't see a big difference from shutting your mouth (Russian approach) and shutting your mind up (Western approach). In fact, we are less hypocrites than most of the westerners. We at least don't lie to ourselves, we don't lie in the kitchens :lol:

duong
11-10-2009, 03:23 PM
As to your principle of honesty :eek: I personally don't see a big difference from shutting your mouth (Russian approach) and shutting your mind up (Western approach). In fact, we are less hypocrites than most of the westerners. We at least don't lie to ourselves, we don't lie in the kitchens :lol:

in a way I agree with you ;)

and it's precisely the reason why Westerners could not be openly hypocrite like Safin :

they would be hypocrite but :

- they would never say it openly

- or worse : they would even not admit it to themselves :lol: (insincerity to oneself is highly developed in the West ;) )

tennis2tennis
11-10-2009, 03:23 PM
This is why I love Safin like alot of people he's seeing right through the agassi redemption bullshit;

wanna talk redemption? offer to donate all the money from the book to the anti-doping body, decline a hall of fame induction...

Goldenoldie
11-10-2009, 03:24 PM
If Agassi were to give his titles back, who would they go to? The runner-up? This would probably be unfair, because in some cases he would have beaten a better player in the semi-final than he did in the final. Perhaps even the player he beat in the first round might have been the worthy winner?

The only possible solution would be to replay every tournament he appeared in, with the same field (replacing Agassi with a lucky loser) and as far as possible the same conditions.

Wouldn't that be fun!!:D:D

I know it couldn't happen in reality, but come on, somebody, design a computer programme to do it.

duong
11-10-2009, 03:27 PM
here's a French version of that interview :

http://www.welovetennis.fr/affaire-agassi/17226-safin-stupide

(the initial interview was given in French to a newspaper ; I've not seen any electronic version of the original interview)

You will see that "give the titles back" is not the main point, the main point is rather "shut up : the ATP is in a bad position because of you", after that he says that he doesn't defend the ATP but actually it's what he does (when he says he doesn't defend the ATP, it's rather Western hypocrisy than Russian :lol: )

Start da Game
11-10-2009, 03:30 PM
You'll probably find that some tennis players, like
other sports people, have dabbled with some sort of
illegal substance.

i still maintain that agassi revealed his sin as part of a publicity stunt to divert everyone's attention towards his book........unfortunately, it was all terribly handled by agassi........he may have thought that people might sympathize with him and feel how great(honest) he is but he made a horrible miscalculation........the issue was always going to be hypersensitive and he needed to keep his secret with him........

he let it out and that's putting several seeds of doubts in everyone's mind over his honesty.......

as for safin and nastase commenting on agassi, they should just shut up for the moment and not jump the gun.......particularly safin, he is going to retire, so better leave the scene respectfully without any ruckus.......ITF might set up a panel of judges to assess the whole agassi issue.......until then, no point in shouting for or against agassi.......

MariaV
11-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Actually it's rather Safin here who advocates self-accepted hypocrisy.

I didn't know this side from Safin (although I'm not really surprised considering his Russian environment and culture, as I will suggest later)

but what he has said since the beginning of that "Agassi story" is that you always have to stay hypocrite and keep your mouth shut about "those things" :

- he first said that if he had done it, he wouldn't have said it,

- now he defends the ATP "because they have protected him" (by the way, the title of the American article is misleading as Safin's main point in the French interview is not that Agassi should give his titles back -it's an auxiliary exclamation-, but rather that he should shut his mouth for the ATP)

Openly, honestly ... but self-accepted hypocrite.

Now here's my personal explanation about that position :

This is typical of Russian culture from what I've been said :

in history (even before communism, also in the Tsars' time), Russians have been used to accepting this way of living and behaving, it was the Tsars, then communism, now the mafia and "protectors".

Also, a person in such a high position as Safin in Russia surely has had relationships with "protectors" like that and knows this "conduct code".

Here I think that he applies to the ATP what he has learnt how to live in his Russian environment.

Without the "protectors" he wouldn't have played professional tennis at all.

And why is it a hypocricy? I also think the same way, once you've accepted all the money & fame from ATP then please shut up. :D You shouldn't bite the feeding hand ya know. ;)
Actually I'm not about the money and stuff, I am about Agassi harming tennis in the eyes of general public, and that's also what Marat is about. How much he and the others do to promote tennis for the kids etc and Agassi wants to ruin all the good work other people have done.
I am not talking about the 'bad' people.

tangerine_dream
11-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Becker, Navratilova, Wilander, Nastase, now Safin....which squeaky-clean character will be next to shake his indignant finger at Agassi?

Everko
11-10-2009, 03:43 PM
As of Safin is the all-knowing deity of the ATP. People on this threda are convinced against agassi because of a sentence that safin says.

FedFan
11-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks, Safin, for telling the truth. :worship:

Agassi has undeservedly earned money and titels with cheating. If he wants to rebuild his image he should give them back.

But I guess all he intents is to sell more books.

llama
11-10-2009, 03:49 PM

I keep seeing this same question over and over - and frankly it's disturbing to me. Are people so negative, so suspicious, so convinced that everyone has an angle that they can't accept that just maybe he WANTED to confess it for the good of himself and his conscience? Maybe he was sick of living with the lie. I get the feeling not many here are parents - well, when you become a parent and you're telling your kids not to lie, but you're living with a lie, maybe it gets to you. Why does everyone have to assume there's an ulterior motive? Maybe he just wanted to be HONEST about his life - is that so inconceivable?

duong
11-10-2009, 03:54 PM
But I guess all he intents is to sell more books.

I don't know Agassi's motivation : someone said he might want to make politics, maybe yes :shrug:

Also maybe he wants "being opened", looking for something "meaningful" in his life, that's something people can feel like at some age (especially around 40), I agree with Llama about that :shrug:

And he maybe wants money.

But I'm not sure at all that it's the main motivation of these : Agassi and his wife have a lot of money actually :shrug:

I don't know, only he knows.

But the fact is that he said the truth

... and that it disturbs some people and interests ;)

... more surprisingly I can see that it disturbs many fans :p ... although I'm not so much surprised about it considering how French people have always defended Virenque, who was a popular cyclist and a proven doper but has always stayed hugely popular in France despite doping revealings :

people often prefer ignoring about doping :p

denibas77
11-10-2009, 04:02 PM
I keep seeing this same question over and over - and frankly it's disturbing to me. Are people so negative, so suspicious, so convinced that everyone has an angle that they can't accept that just maybe he WANTED to confess it for the good of himself and his conscience? Maybe he was sick of living with the lie. I get the feeling not many here are parents - well, when you become a parent and you're telling your kids not to lie, but you're living with a lie, maybe it gets to you. Why does everyone have to assume there's an ulterior motive? Maybe he just wanted to be HONEST about his life - is that so inconceivable?
Because his promoting a book ,if he wanted to stop living a lie he should make some interview and confess what is laying on his heart ,but no instead he is seling his truth in a book:rolleyes:

Tommy_Vercetti
11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Someone should have the sack to ask Marat how much money he owes Russia for all his years of tax evasion.

Commander Data
11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm sure Safin never used any illegal substances.

Tommy_Vercetti
11-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm sure Safin never used any illegal substances.

Yeah, I'm sure he's not very high on the list of probable dopers as well.

duong
11-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Because his promoting a book ,if he wanted to stop living a lie he should make some interview and confess what is laying on his heart ,but no instead he is seling his truth in a book:rolleyes:

usually when you want to be honest about yourself, you prefer saying it in great lengths :lol:

there's a pleasure about writing a book, whether you believe it or not :p

llama
11-10-2009, 04:35 PM

So, you're saying no one should write an autobiography. Celebrities should just call press conferences and confess their past lives, because if they confess it in a book they're just "in it for the money". Uh-huh. In case you haven't noticed, EVERYONE promotes their books. Just like actors promote their movies and singers promote their albums - that's what talk shows are all about. So - do you have any problem with others writing books and revealing secrets or just Agassi? Let's look at another celebrity - ironically his first wife: Brooke Shields wrote a book a few years ago about post-partum depression - do you criticize her too? She said she wrote it to tell others her story - that there is help. Do you think she had an "ulterior motive?" That she did it for the money and to promote herself? Do you think she should have just called a press conference and told everyone she suffered from post-partum? Maybe she wanted to help women in the same situation - what better way than writing a book? Agassi said he told about the meth because maybe it might help someone in a similar situation and that he wanted to be honest - that he couldn't write a book called "Open" without being honest. Are you so negative that you can only believe that everyone has an "angle". If you are, then I feel sorry for you. You can't seriously believe that he's doing for the money? He and his wife are worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Beat
11-10-2009, 04:41 PM
how does one give back titles?

Burrow
11-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Bullshit from Marat.

denibas77
11-10-2009, 04:53 PM
So, you're saying no one should write an autobiography. Celebrities should just call press conferences and confess their past lives, because if they confess it in a book they're just "in it for the money". Uh-huh. In case you haven't noticed, EVERYONE promotes their books. Just like actors promote their movies and singers promote their albums - that's what talk shows are all about. So - do you have any problem with others writing books and revealing secrets or just Agassi? Let's look at another celebrity - ironically his first wife: Brooke Shields wrote a book a few years ago about post-partum depression - do you criticize her too? She said she wrote it to tell others her story - that there is help. Do you think she had an "ulterior motive?" That she did it for the money and to promote herself? Do you think she should have just called a press conference and told everyone she suffered from post-partum? Maybe she wanted to help women in the same situation - what better way than writing a book? Agassi said he told about the meth because maybe it might help someone in a similar situation and that he wanted to be honest - that he couldn't write a book called "Open" without being honest. Are you so negative that you can only believe that everyone has an "angle". If you are, then I feel sorry for you. You can't seriously believe that he's doing for the money? He and his wife are worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
I have a problem with whole concept of telling your life in a book ,that's western concept ,where every idiot thinks his life interests someone,of course there is audiency for this idiots another groupe of idiots who read that shit.Today nobody reads real books,just some stupid autobiography of some idiotic actors,singers,stylist etc:rolleyes:

hablovah19
11-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Well said, Safin. :worship:

duong
11-10-2009, 05:01 PM
I have a problem with whole concept of telling your life in a book ,that's western concept ,where every idiot thinks his life interests someone,of course there is audiency for this idiots another groupe of idiots who read that shit.Today nobody reads real books,just some stupid autobiography of some idiotic actors,singers,stylist etc:rolleyes:

I think there are as many "idiotic" readers in the East as in the West :

curiosity is universal ;)

llama
11-10-2009, 05:02 PM

I think you've hit the nail on the head - YOU have a problem with the whole concept of telling your life in a book. It's a "western" concept. Surprise! A lot of us live in the West. I read "real" books all the time - I also read biographies and autobiographies, and how-to books and mystery books and novels and anything else that I think I'll be interested in. And sometimes I actually learn things from them. That is the joy of reading. No one is forcing you to read his book. Boy - I'd hate to have your outlook on life.

ad-out
11-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I think what Marat was trying say if that Agassi kind of screwed the ATP by coming out with this - especially since they have recently come down so hard on Richie/Malisse/Wickmayer. I'm sure Marat is not a saint :devil: but he does seem very honest and fair - so lying and in effect cheating other players out of wins goes against his beliefs. You can't fault the man for having an opinion. :)

And I definitely would buy Marat's book if he were to ever write one! ;)

llama
11-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Personally, I think Marat should give back his money and titles for so blatantly wasting his talent. Watching his matches these past couple of years has been like watching a train wreck, over and over and over again. Most of the time you could tell he didn't give a damn.

JolánGagó
11-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Personally, I think Marat should give back his money and titles for so blatantly wasting his talent. Watching his matches these past couple of years has been like watching a train wreck, over and over and over again. Most of the time you could tell he didn't give a damn.

No one forced you to watch. Safin is under no obligation to fullfill any kind of expectations from members of the public :shrug:

maratsmaiden
11-10-2009, 05:24 PM

you obviously have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Safin, and are now just making knee-jerk reactions to statements that are making you angry.

Safin doesn't really care about the titles and the money. His point is - if you're going to say it, go all the way with it... What is everyone left to do with Andre's admissions? Did he expect to just make these claims, and then everyone would say "aww, it's ok Andre", "you were so loved and integral to the sport that we'll all now just gloss over this drug abuse stuff just like the ATP did"? Safin is saying if you're going to come out with this, now, years later, take it all the way and close the door... to quote Marat - "If he is as fair play as he says he is, he has to go to the end" - it's about fairness - either shut up about it (or keep your mouth shut about it), or if you're going to make an admission, don't just leave it hanging out there and expect no consequences...

Commander Data
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah, I'm sure he's not very high on the list of probable dopers as well.

I was bein ironic. regarding his way of life as a young man, doing crazy things, havin lots of girls, partys, etc. I'm sure he tried some illegal stuff. i think it is rather naive to think otherwise. therefore, I think he should shut his mouth.

llama
11-10-2009, 05:58 PM
you obviously have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Safin, and are now just making knee-jerk reactions to statements that are making you angry.

Safin doesn't really care about the titles and the money. His point is - if you're going to say it, go all the way with it... What is everyone left to do with Andre's admissions? Did he expect to just make these claims, and then everyone would say "aww, it's ok Andre", "you were so loved and integral to the sport that we'll all now just gloss over this drug abuse stuff just like the ATP did"? Safin is saying if you're going to come out with this, now, years later, take it all the way and close the door... to quote Marat - "If he is as fair play as he says he is, he has to go to the end" - it's about fairness - either shut up about it (or keep your mouth shut about it), or if you're going to make an admission, don't just leave it hanging out there and expect no consequences...

I'm not angry at all. Do you know what "facetious" means? And you're right - I don't think that Marat Safin cares about much about anything at all - but if he didn't care about the money why does he live in Monte Carlo instead of Russia? Could it be because he wants to keep that money he doesn't care about? And I'd truly love to be able to see into his past...something tells me he isn't so pure...

as for "consequences" Agassi should face:

a) meth is not a performance-enhancing drug, so it didn't help him one bit in his profession; plus the fact that there is an 8-year limitation on charging a person;

b) he was 141 in the world at the time and not winning ANYTHING;

c) if the ATP HADN'T bought his story he would have faced a 3 month ban - and I highly doubt he would have won any titles in that time. The ATP isn't the Vatican - it knew EXACTLY what they were doing in looking the other way - and they'll do the same again if it's within their interests; talk about being naive.

d) there is no proof AT ALL and indeed, Agassi has said that he NEVER used any drugs at all while playing.

e) anyone who can defend Safin's performances over the past two years is the one who's delusional.

Burrow
11-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Safin was kind of hampered with a serious injury, he can barely move for crying out loud. It's not easy to move a 6'4'' frame around the court when you've had to adjust your movement to decrease pain that will not go away, what do you expect?

I don't agree with what he is saying but what you're saying is pretty funny, it says a lot about you, you don't understand sport.

maratsmaiden
11-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm not angry at all. Do you know what "facetious" means? And you're right - I don't think that Marat Safin cares about much about anything at all - but if he didn't care about the money why does he live in Monte Carlo instead of Russia? Could it be because he wants to keep that money he doesn't care about? And I'd truly love to be able to see into his past...something tells me he isn't so pure...

a) meth is not a performance-enhancing drug, so it didn't help him one bit in his profession; plus the fact that there is an 8-year limitation on charging a person;

c) if the ATP HADN'T bought his story he would have faced a 3 month ban - and I highly doubt he would have won any titles in that time. The ATP isn't the Vatican - it knew EXACTLY what they were doing in looking the other way - and they'll do the same again if it's within their interests; talk about being naive.

d) there is no proof AT ALL and indeed, Agassi has said that he NEVER used any drugs at all while playing.

e) anyone who can defend Safin's performances over the past two years is the one who's delusional.

When I said Safin doesn't care about the money, I wasn't referring to his own money, obviously, I was referring to the fact that he doesn't really care if Andre returns any money or titles - that wasn't his point. Once again you're unable to read into what someone is saying, and instead taking things as they appear on paper/in print.

a. meth is a performance enhancing drug. please, read about the effects of meth. here is a quote from wiki "Psychological effects can include euphoria, anxiety, increased libido, alertness, concentration, energy, self-esteem, self-confidence, excitation, increased sociability, increased irritability, increased aggression"

While meth might not make you 'stronger' physically (not that this helps much with tennis anyway) the affects above certainly can enhance ones performance.

b. where he was in the rankings is not the point. he took the drugs. they covered it up or 'protected him' (which is what Marat is talking about) and allowed him to come back - now he is throwing that in their faces and making the ATP look bad

c. direct quote from marat "I'm not defending the ATP" - no one is claiming the ATP did the right thing - just that Agassi is spitting in their face with questionable timing (promoting sales)

d. ok - maybe he did them while playing, maybe not - point is he tested positive.

e. This has nothing to do with Safin's performance - I'm simply defending Marat's quotes as rational, your argument for him to return his trophies as not.

I really couldn't care what Agassi did or didn't do with his body - but I do believe he is hurting an already damaged Tennis image here in America (where the sport is quite unpopular already) and is trying to steal some spotlight that he probably misses after all these years off court.

duong
11-10-2009, 06:12 PM
so lying and in effect cheating other players out of wins goes against his beliefs.

Did he say anything against the fact that Agassi lied and cheated ?

I don't remember that :confused:

He's blamed him for revealing the truth, that we know :shrug:

I think what Marat was trying say if that Agassi kind of screwed the ATP by coming out with this - especially since they have recently come down so hard on Richie/Malisse/Wickmayer.

the ATP has no relationship at all with Malisse/Wickmayer's case, neither with Gasquet actually : they were involved with antidoping controls in Agassi's time, they are not anymore.

Tommy_Vercetti
11-10-2009, 06:16 PM
I was bein ironic.

I know. So was I.

SetSampras
11-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Andre give his titles and money back to the ATP? How many titles did Andre win while he was using meth? Did he win any? He was having his worst career years by far around 96-97.

And its kind of ironic coming from old Safin. A guy who pissed more of his career away on partying, image, broads, and booze than he did on the game

Burrow
11-10-2009, 06:29 PM
When I said Safin doesn't care about the money, I wasn't referring to his own money, obviously, I was referring to the fact that he doesn't really care if Andre returns any money or titles - that wasn't his point. Once again you're unable to read into what someone is saying, and instead taking things as they appear on paper/in print.

a. meth is a performance enhancing drug. please, read about the effects of meth. here is a quote from wiki "Psychological effects can include euphoria, anxiety, increased libido, alertness, concentration, energy, self-esteem, self-confidence, excitation, increased sociability, increased irritability, increased aggression"

While meth might not make you 'stronger' physically (not that this helps much with tennis anyway) the affects above certainly can enhance ones performance.

b. where he was in the rankings is not the point. he took the drugs. they covered it up or 'protected him' (which is what Marat is talking about) and allowed him to come back - now he is throwing that in their faces and making the ATP look bad

c. direct quote from marat "I'm not defending the ATP" - no one is claiming the ATP did the right thing - just that Agassi is spitting in their face with questionable timing (promoting sales)

d. ok - maybe he did them while playing, maybe not - point is he tested positive.

e. This has nothing to do with Safin's performance - I'm simply defending Marat's quotes as rational, your argument for him to return his trophies as not.

I really couldn't care what Agassi did or didn't do with his body - but I do believe he is hurting an already damaged Tennis image here in America (where the sport is quite unpopular already) and is trying to steal some spotlight that he probably misses after all these years off court.

So during his worst years, using meth helped to enhance his performance? If he was out to enhance his performance why choose such an addictive, self-destructible drug where the negatives heavily outweigh the good?

Corey Feldman
11-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Marat has spoken, and that is final.

llama
11-10-2009, 06:35 PM

I'd hazzard a guess that your user's name makes you just a TOUCH sensitive.

a) Meth is NOT a performance-enhancing drug. Even Martina Navratilova will agree on that. You'd do well to get your information from sources other than Wikipaedia. It would be impossible to perform on a tennis court while high on meth. You really don't know what you're talking about. The only thing he was doing while he was high on meth was washing his floors and doing his laundry - over and over and over again.

b) he isn't throwing ANYTHING in the faces of the ATP. The ATP is a business - and they'll do what's best for them. At the time they probably chose to look the other way - they were big boys - let them be responsible for their actions. Although what Agassi did was wrong - he's not responsible for making the ATP look good - or bad.

c) Agassi isn't spitting in anyone's face - don't be over-dramatic.

d) he tested positive for a RECREATIONAL drug in 1997. He has said that he NEVER took a drug before playing.

e) I think, if we are being honest, "rational" is not a word that one would usually associate with Marat Safin.

I hardly think that Andre Agassi needs more attention. He's said repeatedly he's happy to be retired.Agassi is a charasmatic person - people will always be interested in him. As for "hurting" tennis' image. Please. He probably has done more to turn people on to tennis than almost any other player you could name. People who love tennis will still watch it, people who don't, won't.

ad-out
11-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Did he say anything against the fact that Agassi lied and cheated ?
I don't remember that :confused:
He's blamed him for revealing the truth, that we know :shrug:.

No he didn't specifically say that but I think you have to read between the lines. If you are a guy who is fair and honest then you probably wouldn't think that it was a good idea to lie to the ATP, ask them to cover for you and then out them (and yourself) years later..

the ATP has no relationship at all with Malisse/Wickmayer's case, neither with Gasquet actually : they were involved with antidoping controls in Agassi's time, they are not anymore

You're right.. but it is just the principal that players are getting in lots of trouble now for the slightest infraction and it seems like the same should have happened in Agassi's case.

nhissan
11-10-2009, 07:04 PM

I don't know what you're talking about

TheBoiledEgg
11-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Andre give his titles and money back to the ATP? How many titles did Andre win while he was using meth? Did he win any? He was having his worst career years by far around 96-97.

And its kind of ironic coming from old Safin. A guy who pissed more of his career away on partying, image, broads, and booze than he did on the game

he would have been banned 98 and 99
so no RG, career slam, that would have been the end.

sawan66278
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM

Surreal.

"Me, I don't need money," he said. "The question is: Why did he do this? What is done is done. Does he hope to sell more books? It's absolutely stupid." No, Marat, YOU are absolutely stupid. This man has been an embarrassment to the sport for the last few years, and time and time again, has showed an utter disrespect for fans and officials.

How many outbursts and racquet-bashing displays has the ATP Tour allowed the man to escape from unscathed? Even worse: the man, for all practical purposes, admitted this week that he has not even been practicing or training...and that playing in these tourneys has been torturous for him. So, in essence, he has been tanking...and yet, he comes with the "holier than thou" attitude. About a man who turned his LIFE, not just his career around...and has helped so many other less fortunate...He has donated more time, energy, and money to charities than any other modern athlete...

Marat? More concerned about how partying and women...the truest example of selfishness. The man wasted his talent...and, simply because he did it with a smile and is handsome, has gotten away with apathy and boorishness time and time again. If he looked like Stepanek, he would have been reviled.

Marat: a footnote in history. Andre: a legend...who's efforts will carry on beyond his tennis BECAUSE he decided to make something of his life...pulling himself from the depths of drug use and despair.

Becker, Navratilova, Wilander, Nastase, now Safin....which squeaky-clean character will be next to shake his indignant finger at Agassi? Exactly...these individuals have proven to be intellectual giants and incapable of errors in judgment and character:rolleyes:

The most intelligent post in weeks. Hands down.

SetSampras
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM

I agree but again its a recreational drug, not a performance enhancer so meth certainly didnt enhance Andre's achievements or ability. And who knows what other players (even high prize winners and greats) slipped through the cracks over the years because of recreational drugs or performance enhancers. Maybe even Nadal and Federer who knows. No one would have thought Andre was some meth head

llama
11-10-2009, 07:52 PM

He would have faced a 3 month ban - in 1997 - get your facts straight.

sawan66278
11-10-2009, 07:53 PM

It was a three-month ban at the time. Just ask that paragon of virtue Mats Wilander about that.

If you want to start retroactively punishing people, every player on tour who drank in the U.S. at any time should be punished...because prohibition of alcohol was on the books at one time here in the States.

This shows again: most of those in tennis are simply a Confederacy of Dunces.

duong
11-10-2009, 08:04 PM
No he didn't specifically say that but I think you have to read between the lines. If you are a guy who is fair and honest then you probably wouldn't think that it was a good idea to lie to the ATP, ask them to cover for you and then out them (and yourself) years later..

it's strange for such a "candid" guy (as I read ;) ), always saying straightforward what "he just has in mind", that you have to read between the lines to understand him :confused:

I didn't know that Safin had such a subtle language :lol:

And yet, why doesn't he say it clearly ? :shrug:

Sapeod
11-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Another twat looking for some headlines. Fuck off Safin. Retire already and leave tennis alone.

Bascule
11-10-2009, 08:17 PM
We may say Safin is not one of the most respected players to judge anyone else. Who knows what other vultures are hiding from the public and will never tell. Agassi could never talk the true, so kudos to him he did at the end. What has been is past, it's stupid to ask for someone to give back the title after so many times. This should be a warning to ATP in the future, though I don't like new rules about checking players.

@sawan: First of all, Marat is not reading this. The second: who are you to judge his character? (Check the note under the photo on your bro's FB where you were talking to that stupid squeezed Padme face.)

@llama: Players from the east-european countries (especially in mine) are "living" mostly in Monte Carlo to avoid paying the taxes. If you would know the situation in these countries, you would understand.

bluefork
11-10-2009, 09:10 PM
If you want to start retroactively punishing people, every player on tour who drank in the U.S. at any time should be punished...because prohibition of alcohol was on the books at one time here in the States.

Your logic makes no sense. Agassi did meth when it was banned by the ATP; nobody on tour drank during prohibition. :lol: And even if they had, it would only have mattered if the ATP had a rule banning alcohol.

Commander Data
11-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I know. So was I.

I thought you may be, but wasn't sure....

oranges
11-10-2009, 09:20 PM
it's strange for such a "candid" guy (as I read ;) ), always saying straightforward what "he just has in mind", that you have to read between the lines to understand him :confused:

I didn't know that Safin had such a subtle language :lol:

And yet, why doesn't he say it clearly ? :shrug:

Why is this such a curious thing? You don't have to be a simpleton in order to speak your mind, nor is the message one wants to convey necessarily a single or a simple one. It's why people invented all sorts of expression and why sarcasm is more poignant than a blunt remark. It' also why knowing the context well, as well as reading the non-verbal signs is important.

Roddickominator
11-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Jealous Safin is upset that he isn't getting all the attention on his farewell tour....that mean old Agassi is taking Safin's fading spotlight away from him. Somebody call the WAH-mbulance.

Sapeod
11-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Jealous Safin is upset that he isn't getting all the attention on his farewell tour....that mean old Agassi is taking Safin's fading spotlight away from him. Somebody call the WAH-mbulance.
Little baby this Mugfin :lol:

denibas77
11-10-2009, 09:29 PM
I think you've hit the nail on the head - YOU have a problem with the whole concept of telling your life in a book. It's a "western" concept. Surprise! A lot of us live in the West. I read "real" books all the time - I also read biographies and autobiographies, and how-to books and mystery books and novels and anything else that I think I'll be interested in. And sometimes I actually learn things from them. That is the joy of reading. No one is forcing you to read his book. Boy - I'd hate to have your outlook on life.
Neither I want to have your outlook on life dear,to be sheep and someone over and over selling me the same shit,Agassi was fake and he still is fake and he is going to remain fake ,with this act he just confirmed it.Redemption my ass,he was selfish and still is .He turned life around, how so, he same as he used to be,his rule is always in the spotlight ,for good or bad.He helped children ,yeah for promotional reasons,for "look at me how great I am",there are people that do charitable things ,but they don't need world to know it's enough to them, that they done something good,but as one poster said only sinners have the right to preach:o

sawan66278
11-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Your logic makes no sense. Agassi did meth when it was banned by the ATP; nobody on tour drank during prohibition. :lol: And even if they had, it would only have mattered if the ATP had a rule banning alcohol.

My point is in reference to those who claim Agassi should give back his titles, etc. The rules THEN stated that it was only a three-month ban...critics (if you can call cretins like Safin and Nastase) are calling for slams to be returned, etc...

That is exactly WHY I brought up prohibition: to show how ridiculous their points are.

Joyce_23
11-10-2009, 09:31 PM
You gotta love Safin and his attitude. If he has an opinion then he will speak his mind. Even if he has to attack a legend like Agassi. And hell, I kinda agree with him. His 'holier then thou' attitude has always bugged me and even when he admits that he's a lying ass he needs to be all holy about it saying that he needs to come clean. please...the man craves attention and money. ugh

Roddickominator
11-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Neither I want to have your outlook on life dear,to be ship and someone over and over selling me the same shit,Agassi was fake and he still is fake and he is going to remain fake ,with this act he just confirmed it.Redemption my ass,he was selfish and still is .He turned life around, how so, he same as he used to be,his rule is always in the spotlight ,for good or bad.He helped children ,yeah for promotional reasons,for "look at me how great I am",there are people that do charitable things ,but they don't need world to know it's enough to them, that they done something good,but as one poster said only sinners have the right to preach:o

You sound like a pathetic, whiny loser. What do you care if Agassi makes money off of his book? What do you care if he is fake? Just don't buy his book if you think he is full of crap, it doesn't effect you in any way whatsoever.

Bascule
11-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Neither I want to have your outlook on life dear,to be ship and someone over and over selling me the same shit,Agassi was fake and he still is fake and he is going to remain fake ,with this act he just confirmed it.Redemption my ass,he was selfish and still is .He turned life around, how so, he same as he used to be,his rule is always in the spotlight ,for good or bad.He helped children ,yeah for promotional reasons,for "look at me how great I am",there are people that do charitable things ,but they don't need world to know it's enough to them, that they done something good,but as one poster said only sinners have the right to preach:o
Agree, he was absolutely selfish and a attention seeker. That counts too.

bluefork
11-10-2009, 09:39 PM
My point is in reference to those who claim Agassi should give back his titles, etc. The rules THEN stated that it was only a three-month ban...critics (if you can call cretins like Safin and Nastase) are calling for slams to be returned, etc...

That is exactly WHY I brought up prohibition: to show how ridiculous their points are.

He admitted to using meth during the better part of 1997. Of course he didn't win any slams then, but he did get prize money. At this point, 12 years later, the ATP can't really ask for that money back. But for Agassi to show true remorse for breaking the rules and lying, he ought to give that money back. Otherwise, all these displays of regret and pleas for compassion are pretty empty.

Roddickominator
11-10-2009, 09:40 PM
He admitted to using meth during the better part of 1997. Of course he didn't win any slams then, but he did get prize money. At this point, 12 years later, the ATP can't really ask for that money back. But for Agassi to show true remorse for breaking the rules and lying, he ought to give that money back. Otherwise, all these displays of regret and pleas for compassion are pretty empty.

I do agree that he should give the little bit of prize money that he won in that span to charity....not to the incompetent ATP.

denibas77
11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I was bein ironic. regarding his way of life as a young man, doing crazy things, havin lots of girls, partys, etc. I'm sure he tried some illegal stuff. i think it is rather naive to think otherwise. therefore, I think he should shut his mouth.
Maybe you should shut your mouth,so you look at somebodies life and you delivered the verdict right away, because he is party person he must have taken drugs in his life ,did you have same thought for Agassi or Gasquet or Martina before they were cought or in Agassi case "admit"or you thought because they are not party persons they must have been clean

ad-out
11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I think Marat would laugh so hard if he knew that 8 pages of posts had been devoted to a few words he said in his press conference. :lol:

oranges
11-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Right. Safin's always had and always will have a problem being in the spotlight if he so desires. He paid those journalists to ask him that. I bet he'll be writing similar books when he gets hungry for attention :spit:

Bascule
11-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Absolutely agree. What is the amount we're talking about? Did he say in his book what is the next he's going to do about everything?

denibas77
11-10-2009, 09:49 PM
You sound like a pathetic, whiny loser. What do you care if Agassi makes money off of his book? What do you care if he is fake? Just don't buy his book if you think he is full of crap, it doesn't effect you in any way whatsoever.
I don't care, he can make how much he wants from fools like you, I just don't buy redemption thing:o

Roddickominator
11-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Right. Safin's always had and always will have a problem being in the spotlight if he so desires. He paid those journalists to ask him that. I bet he'll be writing similar books when he gets hungry for attention :spit:

Looks like the only way he's getting any attention these days is piggybacking on the Agassi hate club and getting clowned on the tennis court.

oranges
11-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Looks like the only way he's getting any attention these days is piggybacking on the Agassi hate club and getting clowned on the tennis court.

If you repeat it enough it will become more convincing? The one who answers a questing asked is attention whoring, but the one who goes out of his way to write a controversial book is not? You noticed lack of spotlight on Safin lately? You have another point other than diverting some of the attention from Agassi right now?

llama
11-10-2009, 09:55 PM

Sorry, but I really can't understand what you are saying. "To be ship"? "only sinners have the right to preach?" What does that mean?

You can dislike Agassi all you like, but as for saying he's "helped children for promotional reasons" - well, you're just making yourself look foolish.

ad-out
11-10-2009, 10:00 PM

Safin gets attention just by walking down the street. Have you noticed the amount of magazines that feature him? It is rare for him to agree to an interview actually. ;)

Roddickominator
11-10-2009, 10:06 PM
If you repeat it enough it will become more convincing? The one who answers a questing asked is attention whoring, but the one who goes out of his way to write a controversial book is not? You noticed lack of spotlight on Safin lately? You have another point other than diverting some of the attention from Agassi right now?

Well this thread is about Safin's take on the Agassi situation....I think i'm well within the subject matter to give some attention to Safin without being accused of "diverting attention away from Agassi". There are about 80 other threads discussing Agassi, it's almost like beating a dead horse at this point.

I just thought it was funny that Safin decided to sound like a bitter loser when being asked about this...so as to punish Agassi for taking his retirement spotlight away. It's okay though, he'll get over it.

Roddickominator
11-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Safin gets attention just by walking down the street. Have you noticed the amount of magazines that feature him? It is rare for him to agree to an interview actually. ;)

lmao...what world do you live in that Safin is a major celebrity, or that anyone but his fanboys still care about him at all?

denibas77
11-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Sorry, but I really can't understand what you are saying. "To be ship"? "only sinners have the right to preach?" What does that mean?

You can dislike Agassi all you like, but as for saying he's "helped children for promotional reasons" - well, you're just making yourself look foolish.
there is a saying as long as are sheeps there always going to be sweaters,sorry that I didn't write it right,the second one doesn't need any explanation.

bluefork
11-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Well this thread is about Safin's take on the Agassi situation....I think i'm well within the subject matter to give some attention to Safin without being accused of "diverting attention away from Agassi". There are about 80 other threads discussing Agassi, it's almost like beating a dead horse at this point.

I just thought it was funny that Safin decided to sound like a bitter loser when being asked about this...so as to punish Agassi for taking his retirement spotlight away. It's okay though, he'll get over it.

I really don't get the impression that Safin craves the spotlight. More than anything, he seems annoyed to be getting the same retirement questions over and over. And it isn't as if Agassi is the first person he's ever criticized; he speaks his mind about controversial topics in tennis all the time. Bottom line, agree with him or not, this isn't about him stealing the spotlight.

oranges
11-10-2009, 10:20 PM

You're in a logical conundrum here. It is about Safin's take, but it's still a situation involving Agassi. Making it seem like it's only about Safin, you're diverting attention. Nice try, but people will still continue to discuss their own take on Agassi and how it relates to what Safin said. I'd agree it's pretty much beating the dead horse by now.

dabeast
11-10-2009, 10:24 PM
ugh, Safin, retire already.

Never realised Safin fangirls/boys were so sensitve about their man. Stopped caring about his opinions long ago but what he's saying about Agassi, whether wrong or not, really makes him come off like a bitter loser.

oranges
11-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Never realised Safin fangirls/boys were so sensitve about their man. Stopped caring about his opinions long ago but what he's saying about Agassi, whether wrong or not, really makes him come off like a bitter loser.

At the risk of being lumped as oversensitive :lol:, how does he come off as bitter loser? If I'm not mistaken, he's original advice was that Agassi should have kept his mouth shut. Is he now seeking titles to himself in your interpretation?

dabeast
11-10-2009, 11:39 PM
No, I'm inferring from what I read from his words, I guess I feel Safin should take his own advice and zip it, cos somehow what he said came out caustic and with zero empathy. Yeah I appreciate the fact that he's like that, straightfoward and no sugar-coating, but like I said, from a pro to a fellow pro, at least show some kind of respect or consideration with those words.

11-10-2009, 11:41 PM
How do you give your titles back?

He won them its in the history books.

How can you change it, and who do you award them to? The runner up? What about when Sampras was beaten by Agassi in semis? Sampras should be the GOAT in slams won!

You fuck with history if you do this.

FairWeatherFan
11-10-2009, 11:48 PM
We are meant to believe Safin has not taken recreational drugs? lol

denibas77
11-10-2009, 11:52 PM
No, I'm inferring from what I read from his words, I guess I feel Safin should take his own advice and zip it, cos somehow what he said came out caustic and with zero empathy. Yeah I appreciate the fact that he's like that, straightfoward and no sugar-coating, but like I said, from a pro to a fellow pro, at least show some kind of respect or consideration with those words.
Did Agassi had considaration for the fellow players with his revalation NO,why should they have:confused:

dabeast
11-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Did Agassi had considaration for the fellow players with his revalation NO,why should they have:confused:

I know dude, but that's Agassi's intention, it's a tell-all book, his opinions on his rivals/peers are gonna be uncensored, but Safin, saying stuff like this in the most direct and tactless way, on his farewell tour, just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Say what you will about Agassi, he will always be a great player. Yeah, he was a drug user and liar, but which tennis pro, retired or active, is perfect enough to judge him? Nobody has that right, esp. when it's so much easier to hate on someone that successful and popular.

sawan66278
11-11-2009, 12:37 AM
What's amazing to me is that Agassi is getting bashed left and right by his peers (tennis-wise...not intellectually or charity-wise) about the meth use...and to me, the only real thing he probably should/could have left out of the book? His revelations about his hair piece at the RG he lost to Gomez...sort of takes away from Andres.

denibas77
11-11-2009, 12:47 AM
I know dude, but that's Agassi's intention, it's a tell-all book, his opinions on his rivals/peers are gonna be uncensored, but Safin, saying stuff like this in the most direct and tactless way, on his farewell tour, just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Say what you will about Agassi, he will always be a great player. Yeah, he was a drug user and liar, but which tennis pro, retired or active, is perfect enough to judge him? Nobody has that right, esp. when it's so much easier to hate on someone that successful and popular.
You're saying because nobody is perfect, no
one should judge him,so what are they suppose to do ,remain silent as it never happend,if no one spoke, then we all would thought that they are silent, because they are all in same position as Agassi, so they take his side to protect themselves.And I don't agree that some one should be too judgemental,but judgement it's necessary, how on earth we going to imply some moral values without judgement.

FedFan_2007
11-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Bullshit. The ATP has never stripped away titles from a player for testing positive for drugs MUCH later!

dabeast
11-11-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm fine with pple expressing their opinions (long live democracy and blah blah), but with regards to Safin's words specifically, it's not a good thing to go out sounding like that.

And all I'm saying with respect to the rest of the world judging Agassi, the fact that pple like Becker, Wilander, Nastase and Navratilova actually sound so outraged when they are aren't pristine white themselves really undermines and invalidates their accusations. Which is why I don't care much about what they say.

Also, viciously kicking a guy down like that speaks more about character than anything else. Someone as popular as Agassi, the hate that's spouted at him still can't erase his humanitarian efforts when he decided to turn his life around.

Geo
11-11-2009, 01:26 AM
Safin is so moody in his old age :p :spit:

out_here_grindin
11-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Bullshit. The ATP has never stripped away titles from a player for testing positive for drugs MUCH later!

Exactly. Korda hasn't been stripeed of his Aussie Open even though he was using Performance-enhancing drugs to win.

littleash
11-11-2009, 02:34 AM
Good stuff Safin, but as likely as women giving birth through their arse.

lmao :spit:

gulzhan
11-11-2009, 03:36 AM
I'm fine with pple expressing their opinions (long live democracy and blah blah), but with regards to Safin's words specifically, it's not a good thing to go out sounding like that.

And all I'm saying with respect to the rest of the world judging Agassi, the fact that pple like Becker, Wilander, Nastase and Navratilova actually sound so outraged when they are aren't pristine white themselves really undermines and invalidates their accusations. Which is why I don't care much about what they say.

Also, viciously kicking a guy down like that speaks more about character than anything else. Someone as popular as Agassi, the hate that's spouted at him still can't erase his humanitarian efforts when he decided to turn his life around.

I agree to you. And as I understood what Safin said was the opposite of what the title of this thread says. Marat said something close to "let the dead bury their dead" ;)

I suggest the author to change the title or the mods to remove the thread as misleading.

fast_clay
11-11-2009, 04:31 AM
it is misleading yes

Turquoise
11-11-2009, 05:18 AM
Safin has colourful ways of expressing himself, but basically, he says it the way he sees it. Keep your mouth shut, or deal with the consequences. Pity he refuses to write that autobiography - it would sell like hot cakes.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that if Agassi is seeking atonement (as he claims), then do it the right way: donate all proceeds from the book. Otherwise it's hypocritical to enrich himself from these damning revelations.

Quakes
11-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Yes, plus interest, and other incomes such as from advertising, all adjusted for inflation. That is what a truly honest man would do. :p

tennis2tennis
11-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Safin has colourful ways of expressing himself, but basically, he says it the way he sees it. Keep your mouth shut, or deal with the consequences. Pity he refuses to write that autobiography - it would sell like hot cakes.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that if Agassi is seeking atonement (as he claims), then do it the right way: donate all proceeds from the book. Otherwise it's hypocritical to enrich himself from these damning revelations.

:worship:

MariaV
11-11-2009, 09:27 AM
lmao...what world do you live in that Safin is a major celebrity, or that anyone but his fanboys still care about him at all?

At least he still has fanboys and fangirls (all over the world btw :D) and they will be loyal to him forever. :D

tennis2tennis
11-11-2009, 11:40 AM

Exactly. Korda hasn't been stripeed of his Aussie Open even though he was using Performance-enhancing drugs to win.

:smash:

Safin didn’t say anything about the ATP stripping Andre! He’s saying if andre is as apologetic/sad/guilty/ as he’s making out to be why not return the trophy and money as a gesture

he’s basically calling his bluff !

Ilovetheblues_86
11-11-2009, 12:00 PM
All I know is that Agassi rules.

-Valhalla-
11-13-2009, 06:28 AM
As members of MTF are wont to say, Safin and The Dyke (aka Navratilova) reveal their true "clownishness" and "muggishness" with their lack of wisdom, insight, and compassion. While I've never been a fan of Agassi, I'll certainly be reading his autobiography from cover to cover. Surely, honesty and truth are preferred over guarded self-consciousness (e.g Sampras' "A Champion's Mind" - a joyless sleep-inducing tome and a tough, hard slog of a read which I highly recommend to insomniacs).

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"
Jeremiah 17:9

My respect for AGASSSI HAS INCREASED.

(
(

duong
11-13-2009, 10:15 AM
What's amazing to me is that Agassi is getting bashed left and right by his peers (tennis-wise...not intellectually or charity-wise) about the meth use...and to me, the only real thing he probably should/could have left out of the book? His revelations about his hair piece at the RG he lost to Gomez...sort of takes away from Andres.

it's because it's what's bad for their job and money :shrug:

The rest is all about Agassi, but the revealing that the ATP hid Agassi's case is very bad for all ATP circuit and them being suspected.

They don't care about Agassi's personal behaviours and opinions (reading that Safin is shocked "in his beliefs" by Agassi using drugs is extremely funny :lol: )

They care about the circuit and their job.

Agassi broke something which was silent, now that's their problem (not especially Safin's of course : he defends his peers, that's all), and that's why they are very angry.