Del Potro admits he wasn't ready for the aftermath of his US open victory [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Del Potro admits he wasn't ready for the aftermath of his US open victory

kyleskywalker007
11-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Well, nothing new actually, but here he is saying it himself.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2009/11/09/um/m-02037281.htm

He also says that even if he is not perfect physically right now, he has the ambition of winning the Masters Cup ;)

GlennMirnyi
11-10-2009, 02:02 AM
:lol:

Everybody knows it was a fluke.

jmsx521
11-10-2009, 02:26 AM
Not me! I had picked him to win it prior to the tournament. His level was skyrocketing, all pistons were working well, and things were coming together into the creation of one monster (of a) game. Watching his 1st round match against Monaco, reassured me even more.

kyleskywalker007
11-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Not me! I had picked him to win it prior to the tournament. His level was skyrocketing, all pistons were working well, and things were coming together into the creation of one monster (of a) game. Watching his 1st round match against Monaco, reassured me even more.

Well, he actually said he wasn't ready for the aftermath of his victory. Which would explain his recent suckage. I mean, he wasn't ready to come to terms with the fact that suddenly people expect things from him, big things. Of course he's had enough time to think about this now. He'll recover I believe.

n8
11-10-2009, 02:41 AM
Well, he actually said he wasn't ready for the aftermath of his victory. Which would explain his recent suckage. I mean, he wasn't ready to come to terms with the fact that suddenly people expect things from him, big things. Of course he's had enough time to think about this now. He'll recover I believe.

Your use of the word 'suckage' gave me a nice lol thanks.

Better get a Grand Slam early and have trouble adjusting to expectations than the other way around (Murray).

kyleskywalker007
11-10-2009, 03:15 AM

Better get a Grand Slam early and have trouble adjusting to expectations than the other way around (Murray).

Well, indeed, at least if you never recover, you will have a shiny trophy to boot ;)

Action Jackson
11-10-2009, 03:22 AM
Seems like he hasn't learned from last year about not playing the TMC if not fit.

He has won it now and of course expectations are there, but he has to make sure that he sets out to achieve the goals he wants and not what the press and fans expect.

Arkulari
11-10-2009, 04:15 AM
Argentina was hungry for a tennis victory, Nalby won some things but nothing is compared to a GS and Juan got caught in the middle of this media hurricane, for which he wasn't prepared at all and the pressure got to him, that is where you see how strong Roger and Rafa are, they have faced pressure and media frenzy slam after slam, tournament after tournament and definitely Juan's mind hasn't been in the right place for the last tournaments, he's a much much better player than Roger-Vasselin and yet lost, because he wasn't 100% in there :shrug:

Start da Game
11-10-2009, 05:27 AM
ready or not ready, he is a us open champion in the history books........more credit to him if he wasn't ready........

as he has won a slam without too many expectations, now he can just relax, take his time and play himself slowly into his career.......no need to rush for the second one........if he just keeps doing what he did in the recent times and keeps improving a little along the way, that's enough.......

kai.
11-10-2009, 05:40 AM
Actually the title should be change..
He wasn't ready for the media after the US open victory..

because he doesnt say he wasnt ready as a player to win it..
he wasnt ready to all the "post" GS winner the fans, the newspapers, the photos...
so well he is, we all know.. he will have to learn to say no to some things... so his life could go "normally"...

Roddickominator
11-10-2009, 05:49 AM
It'll be a shame if the pressure starts to get to him and he takes a dive. Same thing happened to Sampras after his first slam, took him a few years to get his mind right again....then he became a beast. Del Potro seems mentally tougher than many on tour, though...so maybe he'll be fine.

kyleskywalker007
11-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Actually the title should be change..
He wasn't ready for the media after the US open victory..

because he doesnt say he wasnt ready as a player to win it..
he wasnt ready to all the "post" GS winner the fans, the newspapers, the photos...
so well he is, we all know.. he will have to learn to say no to some things... so his life could go "normally"...

There, the title is changed because you are right. He wasn't ready for the post victory thing. On the other hand, he looked sharp enough tennis wise as to come out the winner of it, no doubt in my mind.

bjurra
11-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Delpo wasnt ready for all the groupies, that is what he is trying to say. They sucked all energy out of him, literally.

RafitoGoat
11-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Del Potro definitely is nothing like Djokovic and Murray. I cannot imagine those 2 guys taking Federer to 5 sets at Roland Garros and in the same year beating him in 5 at the US Open :shrug:

And when he lost at Roland Garros it wasn't mental it was more physical, because he got down a break early in the 5th and then broke back. He was then broken after that but the point is he didn't give up after getting down a break to start the 5th. He just lost that one because he was physically drained :shrug:

I could be wrong but I just don't see the fragility in Del Potro that I see in Murray and Djokovic in slams, so he is probably the real deal :shrug:

scoobs
11-10-2009, 08:52 AM

This is true.

MariaV
11-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Del Potro definitely is nothing like Djokovic and Murray. I cannot imagine those 2 guys taking Federer to 5 sets at Roland Garros and in the same year beating him in 5 at the US Open :shrug:

And when he lost at Roland Garros it wasn't mental it was more physical, because he got down a break early in the 5th and then broke back. He was then broken after that but the point is he didn't give up after getting down a break to start the 5th. He just lost that one because he was physically drained :shrug:

I could be wrong but I just don't see the fragility in Del Potro that I see in Murray and Djokovic in slams, so he is probably the real deal :shrug:

Or he could become another Safin. :shrug: :p

Matt01
11-10-2009, 05:04 PM
:lol:

Everybody knows it was a fluke.

Only speak for yourself, troll :rolleyes:

Certinfy
11-10-2009, 05:07 PM
:lol: Oh well :p

Bad Religion
11-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Nobody is ready for a fluke GS victory

Ace2008
11-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Del Pussy's victory was NO WAY IN HELL a fluke !
He beat the guy who win the title 5 times in a row. The thing is, when Del pony plays like this , who can beat him? He was doing what he wanted with roger, he killed him while returning. When you are a ballbasher it's like that, sometimes you will lose a match with more than 50 UEs, but one day you will play out of this world. And that's what he did. Roger's fans are little cry babies, just like him. Get over yourself. Your guy LOST fair and square. People say that it was a fluke because THEY WERE THE ONE who weren't ready for this victory.

Bye fuckers

timafi
11-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Juan just feel lucky Roger choked at 5-4 and 30-0 on his serve and let you back in this damn match:rolleyes:
cuz we all know that he won the 2nd set;your bony ass would be singing a different tune right now:rolleyes:
just shut your piehole:rolleyes:

Julio
11-10-2009, 07:10 PM

Ask Tojo and Gaudio. :lol:

ad-out
11-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Oh good.. Maybe he won't be ready to play Marat tomorrow then. :)

Ivanatis
11-10-2009, 07:20 PM
no need to admit anything, his results are pretty obvious

Matt01
11-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Ask Tojo and Gaudio. :lol:

They weren't flukes, either.

Juan just feel lucky Roger choked at 5-4 and 30-0 on his serve and let you back in this damn match:rolleyes:
cuz we all know that he won the 2nd set;your bony ass would be singing a different tune right now:rolleyes:
just shut your piehole:rolleyes:

F*ck off.

ad-out
11-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Tojo was a fluke.

fast_clay
11-10-2009, 10:25 PM
how long was it before sampras won his next slam after winning his first, also a USO, at a similar age to del potro...?

RafitoGoat
11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I tell you who looks like a fluke now: Tsonga, just for making the Aust Open Final, he is very 'hit or miss' and it does look like a fluke that he managed to win 6 straight matches in a GS.............................................

FiBeR
11-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Argentina was hungry for a tennis victory, Nalby won some things but nothing is compared to a GS and Juan got caught in the middle of this media hurricane, for which he wasn't prepared at all and the pressure got to him, that is where you see how strong Roger and Rafa are, they have faced pressure and media frenzy slam after slam, tournament after tournament and definitely Juan's mind hasn't been in the right place for the last tournaments, he's a much much better player than Roger-Vasselin and yet lost, because he wasn't 100% in there :shrug:

Rafa had Ferrero and Moya (both top players and only world n1s of Spain) in same generation. Moreover Moya was always by his side and telling him how to deal with it... remember??

Roger is a different story, but then again he belongs to a country completely different and "educated". Not that he doesnt deal with pressure but there is a different pressure the swiss media can put compared to the argentine one. He had no one to look after. In Argentina, there's always Vilas.

Yeah, still, the kid cracked. No excuses :shrug: I wouldnt blame him :p he still has a lot of time to recover until what matters (Aus Open for e.g.).

how would you know? you dont even have a Grand Slam champion from your own country :lol:

talk about flukes with Rios' flag.. :rolls: do you wanna talk about 2004 Olympics fluke?

what's won is won. No matter you didnt beat a top player in the draw like Massu did in 2004, or you beat world n1 and 15-time grand slam winner in the final like Del Po did..

Guy Haines
11-10-2009, 11:14 PM
It's good that Juan's first win at a major was at the USO because he'll have more time to regroup. That said, he's the kind of competitor who
plays himself into top form, which is why he'll be a beast at the French and USO and more vulnerable in Australia.

tealeaves
11-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Delpo, don't push yourself too much.

Forehander
11-10-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm not surprised. Federer had the match. Del Potro's only surprise in the US Open final should not be how well he played (because he didn't) but how shit Federer suddenly played after the first one and a half sets.

kyleskywalker007
11-11-2009, 01:05 AM
I tell you who looks like a fluke now: Tsonga, just for making the Aust Open Final, he is very 'hit or miss' and it does look like a fluke that he managed to win 6 straight matches in a GS.............................................

True, Tsonga's run was more of a flukish one. You can't say Delpo's was a flukey one because you could see how he was improving all the time, with quarterfinals at the AO, Semis at the French (then an expected letdown at Wimby) and finally his victory at the US open, which was expected sooner than later. Really, a fluke must come out of nowhere, like Gaudio's or Tojo's as someone already said. That'w why you can't say Del Potro's Us Open, nor Djokovic's Aus open were flukes. ;)

MIMIC
11-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Del Potro beat the only two people who won grand slams in 2009 and beat them back to back.

Yeah..total fluke :haha:

RafitoGoat
11-11-2009, 01:26 AM
Del Potro is the most unflukey first time GS champ I've ever seen :haha:

littleash
11-11-2009, 01:28 AM
he needs to shave his chest. :o

MalwareDie
11-11-2009, 01:30 AM
What did Glenn get banned for?

kyleskywalker007
11-11-2009, 01:40 AM
What did Glenn get banned for?

Maybe for mugging it out?

kyleskywalker007
11-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Del Potro beat the only two people who won grand slams in 2009 and beat them back to back.

Yeah..total fluke :haha:

Yeah, it's not like he beat a flukey finalist and his run was conditioned because the seeds were beaten before. He did the dirty job himself.:worship: