Will Federer Create Tennis Boom In Switzerland? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Federer Create Tennis Boom In Switzerland?

Xavier7
11-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Do you think Roger Federer's success will create a huge tennis boom in Switzerland, with all the kids there now wanting to be like him?
In a few years I predict Switzerland will be a tennis country in the same league as France and Argentine and have about 10 or 12 players in the top 100.

Burrow
11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Nah but they certainly have enough money to make a few decent pros.

oranges
11-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Either he has already or he won't. In any case, higher interest is no guarantee for producing top talents. Switzerland is much smaller than the countries you mention. I don't think there's any of comparable size with more than ten top 100 players.

bokehlicious
11-09-2009, 05:31 PM
In a few years I predict Switzerland will be a tennis country in the same league as France and Argentine and have about 10 or 12 players in the top 100.

:spit: :haha:

As for the original question, no, there is/won't be a huge boom, tennis is not exactly a very popular sport anywhere....

JolánGagó
11-09-2009, 05:33 PM
:haha:

Sunset of Age
11-09-2009, 05:39 PM
No. However much loved Fed is as a tennis player, the Swiss will most likely continue to concentrate on developing their abundancy of winter sports-talent. :)

Xavier7
11-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Either he has already or he won't. In any case, higher interest is no guarantee for producing top talents. Switzerland is much smaller than the countries you mention. I don't think there's any of comparable size with more than ten top 100 players.

It happened for Sweden which is of comparable size to Switzerland after Bjorn Borg. They had about 10 players in the top 100 in the mid 90s.
They had Edberg, Wilander, Norman, Bjorkman, Johansson, Larsson, Enqvist, Gustafsson, Jonsson, Vinciguerra, Tillstrom etc who all would have seen Borg playing as little kids.
It won't happen already if its going to, as it will take at least another 5-10 years for the kids getting into the game to reach the age where they will be making an impact at pro level.

Goldenoldie
11-09-2009, 05:51 PM

Agreed. Switzerland already has 3 players in the top 100. Great Britain with more than 8 times the population has ONE.

Certinfy
11-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Agreed. Switzerland already has 3 players in the top 100. Great Britain with more than 8 times the population has ONE.GB only cares about football, rugby, cricket and cycling.

Goldenoldie
11-09-2009, 06:07 PM
GB only cares about football, rugby, cricket and cycling.

Sorry I disagree. GB cares about all sports, but fails to make the money and facilities available.
N.B. You forgot rowing and sailing.

oranges
11-09-2009, 06:36 PM
It happened for Sweden which is of comparable size to Switzerland after Bjorn Borg. They had about 10 players in the top 100 in the mid 90s.
They had Edberg, Wilander, Norman, Bjorkman, Johansson, Larsson, Enqvist, Gustafsson, Jonsson, Vinciguerra, Tillstrom etc who all would have seen Borg playing as little kids.
It won't happen already if its going to, as it will take at least another 5-10 years for the kids getting into the game to reach the age where they will be making an impact at pro level.

I meant that the much higher interest for the sport among kids already happened. If it hasn't happened from 2005 to today, it's unlikely to suddenly grow now.

I looked up Swedish players in top 100 and they indeed had 11-12 throughout 88/89, but I'd surprised if that feat was ever repeated. 5-6 players for a country with a population under 10 million is already impressive.

Everko
11-09-2009, 06:40 PM
If it hasn't happened yet its unlikely too in the near futuree.

BlueSwan
11-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Martina Hingis got to #1 in the world in 1997, so going by this theory, we should already be seeing massive amounts of Swiss tennis players on the women's side. But we don't. On the other hand, surely there's got to be SOME effect.

JolánGagó
11-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Martina Hingis got to #1 in the world in 1997, so going by this theory, we should already be seeing massive amounts of Swiss tennis players on the women's side. But we don't. On the other hand, surely there's got to be SOME effect.

Hingis is a Slovak.

tennis2tennis
11-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Oui our scientists are among the best in the world, they're working on Roger and Martina clones as we speak

Purple Rainbow
11-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Swiss ski.

Action Jackson
11-10-2009, 12:23 AM
No.

thegreendestiny
11-10-2009, 04:50 AM
Hingis is a Slovak.

and more of Czech actually. But come on, she represented Switzerland all her life. Even Roger looked up to her when he was still growing up and developing his game as a junior. When Hingis disappeared, Roger took the task of lifting the Swiss banner which he did in his finest way. Like him, I hope there would be another Swiss to carry the Swiss flag after he's gone.

RafitoGoat
11-10-2009, 06:14 AM
I hope we have many more Federers, it is fun watching records be broken.