Paris Bercy: who will withdraw/retire/tank? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Paris Bercy: who will withdraw/retire/tank?

Ad Wim
11-09-2009, 09:11 AM
The season is getting to an end, and we saw lots of retirements already in the last weeks. Top guys like Federer and Murray had a rough week and may rest for London. Others are just dead tired of the season.

So who will pull out or retire?

My guess is Murray, Federer and Haas.

cakedraw
11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Who made you think they the first two are going to retire? Both are well rested, Federer barely wasted energy until the final, Murray was limping at times, but showed no mercy at the final, while even Haas is an ultimate fighter and he'll fight for points, his previous retirements were not as serious as someone may have believed. Djokovic has better chances to retire since he has been playing an awful lot, but only if something goes deeply wrong for him.

Ad Wim
11-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Because you see in the last years that seldomly one of the top 3 won Paris. They always pull out and rest for the TMC or are injured after a long season. Maybe Federer will rest for London, or just lick his wounds after a bad loss yesterday. He's done it before.
Murray is so injury-prone he should really rest if he wants a real shot in London, in front of his home crowd. These guys can't really care too much about another Masters, the TMC is much more important for them.

Sunset of Age
11-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Because you see in the last years that seldomly one of the top 3 won Paris. They always pull out and rest for the TMC or are injured after a long season. Maybe Federer will rest for London, or just lick his wounds after a bad loss yesterday. He's done it before.
Murray is so injury-prone he should really rest if he wants a real shot in London, in front of his home crowd. These guys can't really care too much about another Masters, the TMC is much more important for them.

I think the situation is just a bit different this year than recent years. I don't see Federer pulling out at all, as the #1 YER is still at stake - it's NOT a done deal yet (;)), and Nadal will surely force him to work hard on sealing the deal.
And that loss yesterday wasn't as bad as some make it out to be I think. :)

Murray is coming back from an injury, did well in Valencia, and may well want to improve his match rhythm in order to be able to do well at the WTF. So I don't see him pulling out either. Djokovic is in good form, doing very well right now, I'd think he'd like to continue on his good winning mood right now.

And of course, there's still a spot for the WTF at grabs - all possible candidates will try their best to grab it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this would become the best Paris-Bercy tournament we've watched in years!

Noleta
11-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Wait and see:)

marquez
11-09-2009, 05:05 PM
:lol:

like this all of them option :yeah:

Goldenoldie
11-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I think the situation is just a bit different this year than recent years. I don't see Federer pulling out at all, as the #1 YER is still at stake - it's NOT a done deal yet (;)), and Nadal will surely force him to work hard on sealing the deal.
And that loss yesterday wasn't as bad as some make it out to be I think. :)

Murray is coming back from an injury, did well in Valencia, and may well want to improve his match rhythm in order to be able to do well at the WTF. So I don't see him pulling out either. Djokovic is in good form, doing very well right now, I'd think he'd like to continue on his good winning mood right now.

And of course, there's still a spot for the WTF at grabs - all possible candidates will try their best to grab it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this would become the best Paris-Bercy tournament we've watched in years!

So much solid common sense in this post, I would have good-repped it if I had been allowed to!!

Federer and Murray don't retire, Murray in particular would finish the match on one leg if he had to! Djokovic is flaky, but much better in the cooler weather. Tsonga needs the points. The only possible retirement I can see would be Del Potro, as we have no evidence of his fitness yet.

Sunset of Age
11-09-2009, 05:29 PM
So much solid common sense in this post, I would have good-repped it if I had been allowed to!!

Federer and Murray don't retire, Murray in particular would finish the match on one leg if he had to! Djokovic is flaky, but much better in the cooler weather. Tsonga needs the points. The only possible retirement I can see would be Del Potro, as we have no evidence of his fitness yet.

Thank you! :D
Yeah, I agree, Del Potro's entry is still a question. I'd add Söderling for that matter as well, unfortunately - I'd really have wanted to see him join the bunch at the WTF but chances are very meagre (near to zero) that he will. So if they aren't yet fully recovered, they might well withdraw/tank - Del Potro because he's already sure of the WTF, and Söderling because his chances of getting there are so very tiny (he's got to WIN it I think), he might consider it a better idea not to risk his health in Paris at all.

Everko
11-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Federer won't retire. If there is anything good about him its that he never retires.

Others will

theseth1119
11-09-2009, 05:55 PM
It's true, 834 ATP singles matches to date and he never ever once retired.

FiBeR
11-09-2009, 07:36 PM
del Potro will tank

Ad Wim
11-09-2009, 07:55 PM
It's true, 834 ATP singles matches to date and he never ever once retired.

Look at the topic title. Does it say only 'retire'?

Chiakifug
11-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Tsonga?

Sunset of Age
11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Tsonga?

Tsonga is still in the race for a place at the WTF, no?
He needs those points. Unless injured or the like, I don't see him withdrawing/tanking.

But of course, we'll just have to wait and see!

ChinoRios4Ever
11-09-2009, 08:30 PM
F. Gonzalez (tank)

Chiakifug
11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Tsonga is still in the race for a place at the WTF, no?
He needs those points. Unless injured or the like, I don't see him withdrawing/tanking.

But of course, we'll just have to wait and see!

Yeah, thats what im thinking, never mind hes defending champion AND in front of a French crowd.

Sunset of Age
11-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah, thats what im thinking, never mind hes defending champion AND in front of a French crowd.

Well, two other good reasons for him to sure try to do his best. I don't see him tanking here either, no. Should he lose, it's because he bumped into a better player, not because he 'tanked'.
(always difficult to say whether that happens at all imho - I have a hard time to believe some players indeed throw matches, especially when there's so much for them at stake). :)

Ad Wim
11-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Still nobody, surprising...

Goldenoldie
11-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Doesn't Mathieu count as "Other" then??

Sunset of Age
11-10-2009, 05:00 PM
How about Wawrinka today? :help:

Jōris
11-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Kohli yesterday.

Skyward
11-10-2009, 07:12 PM
all, except for the winner.

Sunset of Age
11-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Almagro and Nadal were both trying very hard today. Eventually Almagro won the tankjob.

out_here_grindin
11-11-2009, 06:12 PM
In the end, Almagro decided that his tanking crown was worth more.

Ad Wim
11-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Well, Murray, Del Potro and Federer kinda tanked. They didn't quite give it all and lost to players they normally won't lose to. Only Potro was lucky.

philosophicalarf
11-12-2009, 11:07 PM
The best answer to the poll seems to be: pretty much everyone, especially Nadal's opponents.

ChinoRios4Ever
11-13-2009, 03:51 AM
F. Gonzalez (tank)

Epic fail. He choked and retired.