What do you think of the U.S. Open late night highlight show on CBS? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What do you think of the U.S. Open late night highlight show on CBS?

the cat
09-02-2004, 04:48 PM
I am wondering what you think of the U.S. Open's late night highlight show hosted by Rich Eisen and Patrick McEnroe. Eisen wants to be the next Craig Kilborn so he tries to make the half hour show a laugh fest and McEnroe joins in and they both look silly. As a long time hardcore tennis fan I want the show to be about tennis and the players. In last night's show Eisen, McEnroe and Mardy Fish went to Shea Stadium to take batting practice. Wow! :rolleyes: Instead of showing this nonsense they could have done more interviews with player or shown more tennis highlights. I wish Mary Carillo was there co-hosting the show with Patrick McEnroe. That's when the U.S. Open highlight show was at it's best. Carillo gave the show some credibilty when she was there. Now it's just a fluff show.

I tape the show at 12:35am EST and watch it while I'm eating breakfast. But I shouldn't do that anymore because I don't enjoy my oatmeal when I'm watching Eisen try to be witty and funny and he isn't. :(

Ads
09-02-2004, 06:25 PM
craig kilborn funny? talk about an oxymoron

Havok
09-02-2004, 07:00 PM
It does it's job I guess. Yeah they need someone like a Carillo to add some sort of credibility there. I agree they should try and tape more interviews on camera and show them then and go through matches (not only top names, but other names as well) and upgrade it a bit. Also it should be on at 11:30 not 12:30, its a bit too late imo.

the cat
09-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Good points Naldo and break. I would appreciate more highlights and interviews too. And not just of the top American tennis players. Now I'm mad at the USA Newtwork for not showing 1 point of one of the bigest upsets in grand slam history when qualifier Anna Chakvetadze ranked #175 upset #4 seed Anastasia Myskina in straight sets in the second round of the U.S. Open! :mad: Instead of showing the end of this monumental upset live they showed us Nick's Pick's and 10 minutes of Andre Agassi's warmup. :rolleyes:

RogiFan88
09-02-2004, 11:14 PM
it blows...

the cat
09-03-2004, 04:41 PM
I taped the show again last night and they had a lovely young singer on by the name of Charlotte Martin. That was nice. But they didn't show any highlights of the 175th ranked Anna Chakvetadze's monumental upset of fourth ranked Anastasia Myskina! :eek: :mad: It happens to be one of the biggest upsets in grand slam history and the U.S. Open late night highlight show doesn't show any highlights of the match. :rolleyes: But I'm not surprised. Just dissapointed. :( And they didn't even interview one tennis player in the studio for the show. :confused: That would have been nice.

I_Love_Hot_Guys
09-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I think the music in the background is pretty cute:).

the cat
09-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Last night's show didn't show any highlights or even report that Mikhail Youzhny upset David Nalbandian in a 5 set marathon. :( We got a ridiculous and needless spelling bee instead. :rolleyes: More tennis and less nonsense is what I would like as a tennis fan. But CBS, the USA Network and the USTA don't really care about tennis fans. :mad:

Tennis Fool
09-04-2004, 03:39 PM
So Cat, I'm assuming you're back from France.

tennischick
09-04-2004, 03:46 PM
the Cat went to France? kewl!!

i think that John is desperately trying to get a permanent gig on TV and he's using this show to convince the powers that be that his last 2 attempts should be overlooked. come to think of it, what does John actually do for a living? i know he gets the occasional tennis commentary gig but the guy has 6 kids to raise and educate.

Tennis Fool
09-04-2004, 03:48 PM
the guy has 6 kids to raise and educate.
Actually two are adults. He's leaving the rest up to Patty. You know, women's work :p

tennischick
09-04-2004, 04:01 PM
yeah but the 2 who are adults might still be expensive if they are going to college. what does Patty do for a living? anything? or is she living off off royalties from her singing days? i'm telling ya, John is whoring himself on TV for the $$. i should send him my piggy-bank. he's probably that desperate. :devil:

the cat
09-07-2004, 04:01 PM
It's T time, TF and TC! :D ;) I don't really get the cat went to France quip. :confused: :o It sounds like you 2 are pulling my tail. ;)

And last Night the U.S. Open late night highlight show showed Patrick McEnroe's wife Melissa Errico singling instead of Mary Pierce versus Svetlana Kuznetsova hights. :rolleyes: But atleast she's a good singer.

I'm not sure about Johnny Mac. He's an excellent tennis color analyst. But he doesn't seem happy doing that. I've never seen his talk show and I should watch it soon before it get's cancelled. He has verbal talent and knowledge so McEnroe should be successful at whatever he does. And I'm a little mad at Maria Sharapova for not doing his talk show! :mad: That would have been great! :D But Masha said McEnroe disrespected her game so she refused to do his CNBC talk show. :eek: Instead Sharapova did the Donnie Deutsch CNBC show whoever he is. All I've ever heard was McEnroe praise Maria for playing hard on every point. These tennis players can have such thin skin. :o

The USTA is getting on my nerves for various reasons. :mad: They haven't answered my email complaining about a couple of things about the U.S. Open. And as a USTA memeber my voice should be heard. But my biggest dissapointment with the USTA is that defending men's champion Andy Roddick will have to play and win 3 best of five set matches 3 of the last 4 days of the U.S. Open to retain his title. And that's a very tough schedule for Roddick who has had a very long and tiring year. :( On the other hand the Roger Federer/Andre Agassi winner will definately have the upper hand rest wise for the final if the winner makes it that far. But I'm going to root for Their Timmy from that half of the draw. :D

the cat
09-08-2004, 05:53 PM
On last nights CBS highlights show Patrick McEnroe actually said Serena Williams didn't get robbed in her her match against Jennifer Capriati. :rolleyes: He said she had only 1 bad call against her. But I counted 4. The worst one was in the first game of the third set when Serena hit a backhand inside the line and the chair umpire Maria Alves overruled it from the other side of the court. That was the worst overrule I have ever seen! :mad: And then in the last game of the match I Serena got 3 bad lines calls. :( I couldn't believe all these bad calls going against Serena. So much for the notion that it all evens out int he end. It doesn't.

rassklovn
09-08-2004, 06:08 PM
The USTA is getting on my nerves for various reasons. :mad: They haven't answered my email complaining about a couple of things about the U.S. Open. And as a USTA memeber my voice should be heard. But my biggest dissapointment with the USTA is that defending men's champion Andy Roddick will have to play and win 3 best of five set matches 3 of the last 4 days of the U.S. Open to retain his title. And that's a very tough schedule for Roddick who has had a very long and tiring year. :( On the other hand the Roger Federer/Andre Agassi winner will definately have the upper hand rest wise for the final if the winner makes it that far. But I'm going to root for Their Timmy from that half of the draw. :D

Were you this concerned last year when Ferrero had to play 4 days in a row and not just against bums either? It's different when it affects a player that you like and someone who did benefit from the generosity of organisers last year.

How has Roddick had a longer and a more tiring year than Federer? He hasn't and the scheduling has been crappy for a very long time.

heya
09-08-2004, 07:51 PM
It's not Todd Martin's fault that he almost beat Ferrero in 5 sets.
He ran out of gas when he was in a position to beat Safin at Australian Open. We know what happened to Safin.
Nalbandian had a bad wrist by the time he played 5 setters at USO.

'04 Wimbledon refused to let other players practice on Center Court.
More rest than anyone else and a weak draw sure helped the trophy recipient.

sigmagirl91
09-08-2004, 09:26 PM
It's not Todd Martin's fault that he almost beat Ferrero in 5 sets.
He ran out of gas when he was in a position to beat Safin at Australian Open. We know what happened to Safin.
Nalbandian had a bad wrist by the time he played 5 setters at USO.

'04 Wimbledon refused to let other players practice on Center Court.
More rest than anyone else and a weak draw sure helped the trophy recipient.

:confused: :topic: :retard:

How does this relate to the topic being discussed?

heya
09-08-2004, 10:22 PM
I decided to chat to the cat, but now I'm hanging my head in shame.
I just found out that English's my 1st language, but I'm retarded. Maybe I'll make enemies here so they can ridicule me again. Been there done that. :retard:;)

Chloe le Bopper
09-08-2004, 11:15 PM
But my biggest dissapointment with the USTA is that defending men's champion Andy Roddick will have to play and win 3 best of five set matches 3 of the last 4 days of the U.S. Open to retain his title. And that's a very tough schedule for Roddick who has had a very long and tiring year. On the other hand the Roger Federer/Andre Agassi winner will definately have the upper hand rest wise for the final if the winner makes it that far.

Ha. If that actually happens I'll consider it devine justice for what happened last year. If Roddick manages to win despite being screwed by the schedule and playing a fresher opponent, then props to him. That said, I don't see how Fed or Agassi will be any fresher, seeing as they are unlikely to get their match in tonight.

the cat
09-09-2004, 01:05 AM
rass, the difference last year is that the tremendous amount of rain at the U.S. Open caused so many scheduling problems that could not be avoided. And yes I know it was unfair to Ferrero to have to play 4 best of 5 matches in 5 days. That was brutal. But if it wasn't for all the the rain at the 2003 U.S. Open then Ferrero wouldn't have been faced with such a rough schedule.

Hiya Heya! :wavey:

Um Becca, they're playing tonight. ;) And if Roddick keeps winning his matches in routine fashion then maybe he will have enough energy left for the weekend. But now the tennis gets really tough for Roddick. Joachim Johansson will be tough in the quarterfinals and that will be a very physical match.

superpinkone37
09-09-2004, 06:39 AM
the episode that is airing right now (in oklahoma) has a nice montage on tommy haas...

really? cool...so um what else did they show during tonights episode...i dont wanna stay up to watch it....epecially if there is nothing of too much importance :)

Deboogle!.
09-09-2004, 06:40 AM
Joachim Johansson will be tough in the quarterfinals and that will be a very physical match.

hmmmmmm ace, service winner, ace, ace, service winner, ace, ace, ace, service winner, service winner, ace ace ace. Tiebreaker, ace, service winner, ace, ace, service winner, ace, ace, ace, service winner, service winner, ace ace ace.,... how will that be physical? :p

superpinkone37
09-09-2004, 06:42 AM
hmmmmmm ace, service winner, ace, ace, service winner, ace, ace, ace, service winner, service winner, ace ace ace. Tiebreaker, ace, service winner, ace, ace, service winner, ace, ace, ace, service winner, service winner, ace ace ace.,... how will that be physical? :p

lol :p yeah that sounds about right...hehe.

superpinkone37
09-09-2004, 06:47 AM
lol yeah i would have to wait almost two more hours, and i have school tomorrow so im just gonna go to bed. doesnt sound like theres anything i dont already know :)

the cat
09-09-2004, 05:39 PM
The CBS half hour highlight show last night had John Waite singing. That was okay. But they didn't show any highlights of the Svetlana Kuznetsova/Nadia Petrova women's quarterfinal match. :mad: I wonder if it's because they are Russian. :rolleyes:

The Tommy Haas feature was good. :)

bunk, it is physically draining to serves aces. It takes power and effort. Every time I serve an ace I need to catch my breath. ;)

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 05:45 PM
it is physically draining to serves aces. It takes power and effort. Every time I serve an ace I need to catch my breath. ;)

You better catching your breath a lot then in the Roddick v PimPim match.

rassklovn
09-09-2004, 06:07 PM
rass, the difference last year is that the tremendous amount of rain at the U.S. Open caused so many scheduling problems that could not be avoided. And yes I know it was unfair to Ferrero to have to play 4 best of 5 matches in 5 days. That was brutal. But if it wasn't for all the the rain at the 2003 U.S. Open then Ferrero wouldn't have been faced with such a rough schedule.

So are you trying to tell me that I wasn't aware of what went on last year? I was very well aware of what happened and the clear favourtism that was shown to Roddick and Agassi during the rain delays, that they were able to get their matches complete when there was a break in play, when in reality all the matches should have started simultaneously, but the big "two' were given breaks.

Ferrero actually played 4 matches in a row over 4 days. The final could have been shifted to Monday, if the USTA were intent on not showing favouritism. Smaller tournaments with less facilities are able to do it.

Roddick has played only on Ashe which is to be expected, but the majority of his opponents so far have not had the chance to practice on this court. You have no grounds at all for complaint about the treatment Roddick is getting from the USTA this year.

Yes, they have improved from last year, but this was not by choice.

tennischick
09-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Cat:
why exactly are you still looking at that show? :confused: i know you have 9 lives but must masochistically kill one off every single night watching that stupid show? :devil:

tennischick
09-09-2004, 07:26 PM
if the USTA can find a way to help Duckboy win again this year, believe me they will. last year's trophy was soooooo tainted.

rassklovn
09-09-2004, 07:33 PM
if the USTA can find a way to help Duckboy win again this year, believe me they will. last year's trophy was soooooo tainted.

To tell you the truth it would be good if the men's semi finalists didn't turn up and the Super Saturday matches.

the cat
09-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Good one Marc. ;)

rass, I'm not telling you that you didn't know what was going on last year at the U.S. Open. And I don't think Roddick deserves to only play on Ashe stadium court. Nor do I like the fact that he now plays almost exclusively night matches. But if it rains tonight and he doesn't get to play his match tonight then he is screwed because I don't see Roddick winning 3 best of 5 set matches 3 days in a row. :( Of course Johansson could change everything by beating Roddick in their quarterfinal match! :eek:

I tape the show TC and watch it while I'm eating my Wheaties. :lick: ;) I keep hoping they will have a good show and last night's nice Tommy Haas feature made the show somewhat worthwhile for a night. And I still have a few of my 9 lives left. :cat: :p

And Miss Chick, I don't think Roddick's 2003 U.S. Open title is so tainted as you put it. Roddick didn't lose a hard court match all summer and winning the U.S. Open proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was the best hardcourt player in the world in 2003. And I don't deny that Andy got some favorable scheduling from the USTA. But I don't think that was the main reason he won the 2003 U.S. Open. He was the best hardcourt tennis player.

rassklovn
09-09-2004, 08:59 PM
cat, he lost to Henman during the 2003 hardcourt season, but that was the only match Roddick lost during that time.

the cat
09-10-2004, 01:25 AM
Oops I forgot. I double faulted if you will. :o

tennischick
09-10-2004, 05:10 AM
i think that John is desperately trying to get a permanent gig on TV and he's using this show to convince the powers that be that his last 2 attempts should be overlooked. come to think of it, what does John actually do for a living? i know he gets the occasional tennis commentary gig but the guy has 6 kids to raise and educate.
hey Tennis Fool: can i call it or can i call it?? i know a media whore when i see one. :devil: and John has definitely been whoring himself all week. he announced tonite that he has a new show on MSNBC (the seriously geriatric channel) from 10p to 11p but i can't remember what night. then he said that he pushed and pushed for an earlier slot but failed to get one. he's lucky to have anything as far as i am concerned. but at least he'll be able to pay his bills til the AO :devil:

the cat
09-10-2004, 03:28 PM
John McEnroe has another talk show? Wow, John is seems to be acting desperately about being on television in a non tennis capacity.

TC, you shouldn't knock the geriatric MSNBC. Imus in the Morning is on there. ;) :rolls:

Patrick McEnroe last night on the CBS late night highlight show seemed to be down in the dumps about Roddick's tough loss to Johansson. :( I think he was in shock! :eek: I hope Patrick is in a better mood today when he's on CBS. But if the 2 Russina's beat the 2 American women and make it an all Russian U.S. Open women's final then Patrick McEnroe and CBS will really be depressed. :sad: LOL! :lol:

The bottom line on Andy Roddick's year is that he dropped the ball on the big occasions. Case closed. But if he leads America to the Davis Cup title he can salvage his year a little bit.

And I've like the Swedes in tennis since the 1980's and it's nice to see they have a possible big time player again in Joachim Johansson. :)

tennischick
09-11-2004, 02:36 AM
Cat:
just checked my Crystal Ball and here are some of her predictions:

1. Johnny Mac's show will suck (again) but he would have signed a contract in which they'd have to pay him anyway. Patti breathes a sigh of relief.
2. Imus continues to spank him in the ratings. ;)
3. Pat Mac is fine bec the truth is that neither him nor his brother seriously expected Duckboy to win. they only said so bec it was in their contracts. John however is depressed that Lindsay lost bec he best big money on her and was hoping for a pay-off. (he has 6 kids after all).
4. Duckboy continues to slide ever downwards in the ratings. i/she predicted it last year and we stand by our prediction.
5. Duckboy will NOT lead the US team to DC victory. but Vince Spadea will finally get a chance to play. Vince will win his match but the US will lose anyway.
6. Johansson Jr. will inspire Johansson Sr. to win the AO next year and show that his original win was not a fluke. :o :o

the cat
09-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Good one's(6) TC! :lol: :clap2: Funny goil! :p Except for #4! :mad: ;) I think both McEnroes and CBS are astonished Davenport and Capritai were upset by the Russian girls! :eek: LMAO it's too good to be true! :D CBS created the women's final to be played at night figuring that Americans would be there to contest for the title. But it didn't happen that way this year. ;)

Beware of Janahsson Jr TC. He might just stun Lleyton Hewitt today only to get his walking papers from a heartbroken girlfriend Jaslyn Hewitt after the match because he beat her brother! :eek: