Valencia sf: Murray beats Verdasco 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Valencia sf: Murray beats Verdasco 6-3, 2-6, 6-3

DrJules
11-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Murray continues domination of Verdasco extending head to head to 7 to 1.

Starting to recover old form in time for Paris and London.

cakedraw
11-07-2009, 08:59 PM
fairly good amount of tennis shown both from these two guys, but eventually the winner was always going to be Murray knowing the consistency of Verdasco's game.

samanosuke
11-07-2009, 08:59 PM
One day when Verdasco will be a great player ...:haha::haha::haha:

Corey Feldman
11-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

still won playing like a mug :spit:

Sofonda Cox
smeg

Jōris
Another second set dip, another win. :yeah:

roberthenman
Come On Andy :rocker:

take the title tomorrow :yeah:

philosophicalarf
11-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Verdasco vs top10: 9/54 career, and 12 losses in a row now.

Murray not even close to his best, gave away two complete gift breaks in the second set, and still won pretty comfortably.

Corey Feldman
11-07-2009, 09:02 PM
cmon Andy, win your 6 tittle of season

madmax
11-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Pathetic this Mugdasco, he really is:o Can't even beat a handicapped pusher..

FlameOn
11-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Nando. :rolleyes:

jcempire
11-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Murray.....Come on

Goldenoldie
11-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Another lucky win, then?

Noleta
11-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

still won playing like a mug :spit:

What a lucky mug he is:)

Andi-M
11-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Muz played very well middle to end of 1st set, other than that he was OK, and Nando really handed it to him in the big moments.

Murray's 1st serve has been crap since Wimbledon don't know where its disappeared to......

Horatio Caine
11-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Says quite a bit about Muzza's quality when he can win a match against a decent player when he is far from his best (if comments are to be believed...I haven't seen the matches this week).

Should take the title, although Youzhny is competent enough on this surface to run him close. And that isn't taking into account his current hot level of form.

Corey Feldman
11-07-2009, 09:14 PM
What a lucky mug he is:)Did you watch the match?

Certinfy
11-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Dammit!!! Oh well at least 1 of my faves is in the final.

Havok
11-07-2009, 09:26 PM
If Verdasco was a little more capable in the mental department in the opening set, it would have been a sweet demolition job of 6-2, 6-2. Sadly he's as mentally tough as some top 10 WTA players, so the pusher Murray won this in 3 sets.

Sports psychiatrist please. He could be incredible if his mental capabilities improve.

coonster14
11-07-2009, 09:27 PM
nando :(, thought he would actually win after he won the 2nd set 6-2, oh wells...

cakedraw
11-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Dammit!!! Oh well at least 1 of my faves is in the final.

it's good to have 30 favorites

scoobs
11-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Very typical match between these two.

Murray knows Verdasco will come out of the blocks fast and try to take control of the match early - and that he will often over-hit from trying to hard to establish himself as the one in charge, so if he can just fend off Verdasco long enough with good defense and wily shots, the Spaniard will become increasingly frustrated at his inability to win the key points.

That was pretty much the first and third sets in a nutshell. In the second, Murray played a sloppy opening service game to give Verdasco renewed belief, and the Spaniard was able to do a much better job of controlling the play as Murray's gameplan unravelled a bit.

The key to the match between these two is always "can Verdasco be patient and yet aggressive enough to punch enough holes through the Murray defense on the key points, or will he mentally unravel from the pressure of having to do so?"

As in the 6 other losses to Murray, he could not do so, but he has the consolation that hey did win the biggest one out of the series they've played.

GlennMirnyi
11-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Boooring match. I literally slept watching this match.

Noleta
11-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Did you watch the match?

I have better things to watch than get bored by Murray's game,thank you.I heardf his serve% was 20%:o.Enough said:lol:

cakedraw
11-07-2009, 09:58 PM

:help:

Sapeod
11-07-2009, 10:01 PM
I really find it amusing how you watch Murray's matches again an again and make the same statements over and over again, even though you find his game boring and you dislike him.

Seems like you are pretty stupid.

Sapeod
11-07-2009, 10:04 PM
What a lucky mug he is:)
NID from a clown like you.

Murray won playing far from his best. A sign of a great player.

Murraylicious
11-07-2009, 10:06 PM
I really find it amusing how you watch Murray's matches again an again and make the same statements over and over again, even though you find his game boring and you dislike him.

Seems he's or She's boring :)

Noleta
11-07-2009, 10:07 PM
NID from a clown like you.

Murray won playing far from his best. A sign of a great player.

So did Djokovic you hypocrite,but your comments were different huh:lol:

:wavey:my fellow clown:kiss:

Burrow
11-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Come on Andy, win the AO next year.

Sapeod
11-07-2009, 10:11 PM
So did Djokovic you hypocrite,but your comments were different huh:lol:

:wavey:my fallow clown:kiss:
Wrong word. The word you're looking for is "fellow".

Djokovic wasn't as far from his best as Murray was. Murray is coming back from an injury, Djokovic isn't.

Noleta
11-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Wrong word. The word you're looking for is "fellow".

Djokovic wasn't as far from his best as Murray was. Murray is coming back from an injury, Djokovic isn't.

You don't follow his matches so how can you say that?Murray had 6weeks off,but he didn't face some really strong field:shrug:And Djokovic had a mental injury this year lol.

Burrow
11-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Why do you keep saying fallow?

Noleta
11-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Why do you keep saying fallow?

Why do you care?

Sapeod
11-07-2009, 10:31 PM

You don't fallow his macthes so how can you say that?Murray had 6weeks off,but he didn't face some really strong field:shrug:And Djokovic had a mental injury this year lol.
Fellow and matches ;)

Physical injuries and mental injuries aren't the same. Murray managed to beat a much better player than Wawrinka and Stepanek.

Burrow
11-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Why do you care?

I don't care. I'm just asking, you mad?

Noleta
11-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Fellow and matches ;)

Physical injuries and mental injuries aren't the same. Murray managed to beat a much better player than Wawrinka and Stepanek.

:kiss:That way i can improve my grammar:)

I think mental injuries are a lot harder to recover from:shrug:

You mean Verdasco?

I don't care. I'm just asking, you mad?

No:confused:Are you?

FedFan_2007
11-07-2009, 10:43 PM
If Verdasco was a little more capable in the mental department in the opening set, it would have been a sweet demolition job of 6-2, 6-2. Sadly he's as mentally tough as some top 10 WTA players, so the pusher Murray won this in 3 sets.

Sports psychiatrist please. He could be incredible if his mental capabilities improve.

Affirmative. Nando has incredible physical gifts but fails to harness them at the crucial moments.

Florida
11-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Now don't you all get carried away! Tabasco-Verdasco handed it to Murray and Stepanel-Sexy handed it to Nole!!!! Nole is overworked, Murray is out of shape and Nando and Stepanek are midgets with midget brains. This is the bottom-line. The only thing, I give Nole credit for is, for playing, so far all the tournaments despite all the haters not acknolegdging that his fitness improved...... Did not throw in the towell like the others....... Murray's wrist is a story appart!!!!! He decided to rest the semi-injured wrist so he can come strong in Paris and London, where as we all know, Brits expect him to winnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!! Some other players will spoil the end-year party for the Brits..........

DrJules
11-07-2009, 10:44 PM
The battle for 3rd and 4th in the year intensifies with Murray and Djokovic in finals. Sense Del Potro is falling behind.

Florida
11-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Wrong!!!!!!! I think both, Murray and Djoko are after 1 and 2 spot and this is just the beginning of next year's campagne.

Noleta
11-07-2009, 10:48 PM
The battle for 3rd and 4th in the year intensifies with Murray and Djokovic in finals. Sense Del Potro is falling behind.

Someone said DelPo won't play in Bercy:confused:

Noleta
11-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Wrong!!!!!!! I think both, Murray and Djoko are after 1 and 2 spot and this is just the beginning of next year's campagne.

Mighty difficult i say:shrug:

Noleta
11-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Now don't you all get carried away! Tabasco-Verdasco handed it to Murray and Stepanel-Sexy handed it to Nole!!!! Nole is overworked, Murray is out of shape and Nando and Stepanek are midgets with midget brains. This is the bottom-line. The only thing, I give Nole credit for is, for playing, so far all the tournaments despite all the haters not acknolegdging that his fitness improved...... Did not throw in the towell like the others....... Murray's wrist is a story appart!!!!! He decided to rest the semi-injured wrist so he can come strong in Paris and London, where as we all know, Brits expect him to winnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!! Some other players will spoil the end-year party for the Brits..........

Never heard that:haha:

Burrow
11-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Murray has a shot at number 1, Djokovic has fat chance.

Florida
11-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Never heard that:haha:

Well you hear it here first. Nadal is going to spoil the party to preserve his #2 spot and Federer is going to stop him from doing that. You did't know?????? Well. the tennis ball is very round and a lot can happen........

Noleta
11-07-2009, 11:00 PM

Can you elaborate on that?

Sapeod
11-07-2009, 11:01 PM
:kiss:That way i can improve my grammar:)

I think mental injuries are a lot harder to recover from:shrug:

You mean Verdasco?

No:confused:Are you?
Physical injuries hamper your strength, play and also movement. Mental injuries harm your confidence but you can still play your normal game.
I think you can say that Verdasco is better than Wawrinka and Stepanek, yes.

Florida
11-07-2009, 11:02 PM

Fat and Djoko just don't go together............... Murray will just have to learn how to win a slam first. Might as well take some lessons from Delpo he recently learned how to do it and did it on a big stage against the maestro himself - THE GOAT FED!!!!! Ways to go!!!!!

Sapeod
11-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Never thought I would see the day when you said this.

doublebackhand
11-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Can you elaborate on that?

u dont reason with murray fanboys

Dini
11-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Burrow a Murray fanboy? :rolls:

Burrow
11-07-2009, 11:07 PM
I might be a Murray fan but I'm hardly biased. Djokovic has barely done anything of significance for a long time now and generally hasn't looked like a threat in slams, it's just that simple.

GlennMirnyi
11-07-2009, 11:12 PM

It's on TV, I have nothing else to watch at that particular moment.

Do you know what I really call stupid? Being a Murray fan. :D

By the way, you better watch out - I've heard the mods want you head. Respect your fellow MTFers.

Seems he's or She's boring :)

Murray is boring. Verdasco is boring.

GlennMirnyi
11-07-2009, 11:13 PM
I might be a Murray fan but I'm hardly biased. Djokovic has barely done anything of significance for a long time now and generally hasn't looked like a threat in slams, it's just that simple.

Who'd say you of all people would be a Murray fan...

Noleta
11-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Physical injuries hamper your strength, play and also movement. Mental injuries harm your confidence but you can still play your normal game.
I think you can say that Verdasco is better than Wawrinka and Stepanek, yes.

Yes but without confidence you're dead:shrug:

Wawa too Murray to a 5th set this year Wimby,i don't think there is a big difference between them,i don't fellow theire careers though:shrug:

u dont reason with murray fanboys

One will hope you can:shrug:

Agree:sad:Hope next year will be better:)

doublebackhand
11-07-2009, 11:17 PM

u can substitute the name Djokovic with Murray and its still valid.

Certinfy
11-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Both of them haven't :o

Burrow
11-07-2009, 11:19 PM
[/B]

u can substitute the name Djokovic with Murray and its still valid.

Well Murray has actually won 2 Masters Series this year, pretty big titles.

Noleta
11-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Well Murray has actually won 2 Masters Series this year, pretty big titles.

Is that why he's got a big shot at being #1?

Burrow
11-07-2009, 11:25 PM
He doesn't have a big shot at number 1.

Nole fan
11-07-2009, 11:27 PM

Hmm that's what i call an honest, clever, objective argument... my god. Do you ever have anything interesting to say?

Noleta
11-07-2009, 11:31 PM
He doesn't have a big shot at number 1.

:lol:You're confusing me now:p

Burrow
11-07-2009, 11:31 PM
I never once said Murray has a big chance.

Noleta
11-07-2009, 11:42 PM
I never once said Murray has a big chance.

No you didn't.

Amber Spyglass
11-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Fellow and matches ;)

Djokovic beat Verdasco three times this year,including twice in the last couple of months so I fail to see your point.Wawrinka almost beat Andy in Wimbledon,and if you look at the match thread you'll see that everybody acknowledged that Stepanek played brilliant for the first set and three quarters but then lost his nerve in the crucial moments which is exactly what I believe Verdasco did in his match also but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong,you see unfortuanately I'm not as knowledgeable as you :angel:

Burrow
11-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Hmm that's what i call an honest, clever, objective argument... my god. Do you ever have anything interesting to say?

If I said the other way round, you'd be more than happy. Biased Novak Djokovic fan.

FlameOn
11-08-2009, 12:01 AM
If I said the other way round, you'd be more than happy. Biased Novak Djokovic fan.
Aren't all fans just a little bit biased? :D

rocketassist
11-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Burrow is taking the mick, love all the goons who fall for it.

Noleta
11-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Burrow is taking the mick, love all the goons who fall for it.

Why spoil the party?:sad:

Forehander
11-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Verbashco :haha: When most of the top 10 players can handle his cross court forehands and exploit his slow footspeed and absolute shithouse backhand he simply doesn't have a clue. If you ask me how fast can Verbashco do a 40 yard dash? I'd say about 7-8 seconds, worst than Del Potro :D Total embarrassment for Murray to lose to him in the Australian Open, was playing only at 10%. But he wasn't even outplayed then, PURE LUCK was on Verbashco's side.

FlameOn
11-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Verbashco :haha: When most of the top 10 players can handle his cross court forehands and exploit his slow footspeed and absolute shithouse backhand he simply doesn't have a clue. If you ask me how fast can Verbashco do a 40 yard dash? I'd say about 7-8 seconds, worst than Del Potro :D Total embarrassment for Murray to lose to him in the Australian Open, was playing only at 10%. But he wasn't even outplayed then, PURE LUCK was on Verbashco's side.
Verbashco? I like it. :D I'll even call him that since I'm totally mad with him right now. :mad:

I'll happily concede that Verbashco has issues, but his issues are mental, with nerves and UEs. Verbashco's physical game is not the reason why he's losing these matches, and I'm sure most tennis experts would quote me on that. If his game was as "shithouse" as you think, he wouldn't have won a 6-2 set over Murray. His footwork is allowed to be a bit tired at the moment - he has an injury to his foot that is going to get operated on in the offseason. :)

Also, I don't know if you have but check out the highlights on Youtube of their Australian Open match. Highlights don't tell all of course, but there were several great points from both players. :shrug: Murray certainly wasn't playing at 10%. He even used the words "too good" in his post-match interview.

Also you chuck the word "overrated" around way too much for a Dimitrov fan. ;)

MrChopin
11-08-2009, 02:08 AM

Djokovic's slam record against Fed and Nadal is 1-8. Murray's is 1-2. That's objective.

~Maya~
11-08-2009, 02:33 AM
Djokovic's slam record against Fed and Nadal is 1-8. Murray's is 1-2. That's objective.
:worship:
1-3 For Murray, btw

So according to this, Djokovic met Federer or Nadal 9 times in the slams, while Murray did the same just 4 times. I wonder how Murray didn't meet them more often :scratch: :p

Geo
11-08-2009, 03:26 AM
if Verdasco wasn't such an impatient headcase, he could have won this in straights :spit: As usual, Verdasco controlled most points until he either hit a winner or made an error. He needs to chill out and stay calm during matches. When he's hitting his shots inside the lines, he can beat anyone :shrug:

Murray-well all I can say is he was really good at running and defending today :rolls: :o nothing that impressive from him, as usual :yawn: :zzz:

and yelling c'mon all the time-someone slap him please :o :tape:

Henry Chinaski
11-08-2009, 03:55 AM
Murray continues domination of Verdasco extending head to head to 7 to 1.

Starting to recover old form in time for Paris and London.

and the 1 was the big one.

such an inexplicable result.

I'd like to see some stats on verdasco this season. guessing that never before has a player of his standing played so relentlessly to his ranking. recently the whole 7+ area has been ridiculously volatile.

apart from a dodgy grass season I'm struggling to think of many big wins as a dog or defeats as a favourite. could probably count the total on one hand.

Henry Chinaski
11-08-2009, 04:08 AM
oh and not sure if it applied today, the chances are it did, but any time these 2 play it's always an excuse to re-post the best match review in the history of not only mtf but the whole history of written sport reviews in general:

both played according to their looks: murray ugly, verdasco stupid

disgusting match

philosophicalarf
11-08-2009, 11:20 AM
and the 1 was the big one.

such an inexplicable result.

You can say if that was a best of three, Murray would have won 2-1 :-) Personally I go with the explanation that in challenging conditions, Verdasco proved fitter over 5 sets than Murray with a virus.

apart from a dodgy grass season I'm struggling to think of many big wins as a dog or defeats as a favourite. could probably count the total on one hand.

Dog record since Aus Open: 0/10 (2x Murray, 2x Djoko, 1xRoddick, 1xKarlovic, 3xNadal, 1xFed). Pretty much a continuation of his long-term inability to beat the top10.

Fav record excl grass: 38/46, losses to Ljubo Shanghai, Davy KL, GGL Cinci (oops), Monaco Bastad (retiral), Kohlschreiber DC, Davy Paris, Gonzo Barcelona, Djoko Monte Carlo ( Verdasco was fav after looking enormously impressive in his prev. two).

FlameOn
11-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Dog record since Aus Open: 0/10 (2x Murray, 2x Djoko, 1xRoddick, 1xKarlovic, 3xNadal, 1xFed). Pretty much a continuation of his long-term inability to beat the top10.

As much as I love supporting Nando, his record against the Top 10 and especially Top 5 and the way he can't control his nerves no matter how many opportunities he has or no matter how many times he's got to play them this year is simply indefensible. There's a real problem there that needs to be sorted.

And I don't think it's just a matter of "Oh, he's a headcase, there's no hope for him", because look at the step forward he's made this year as a whole. The Nando of 2008 and before would've probably laughed if you told him he'd make slam quarters and semis in 2009, among other career-best showings.

I'm sure nobody would be more aware of this problem than Nando himself, but how he's going to turn it around is another story.

Amber Spyglass
11-08-2009, 01:04 PM
You can say if that was a best of three, Murray would have won 2-1 :-) Personally I go with the explanation that in challenging conditions, Verdasco proved fitter over 5 sets than Murray with a virus.

Fav record excl grass: 38/46, losses to Ljubo Shanghai, Davy KL, GGL Cinci (oops), Monaco Bastad (retiral), Kohlschreiber DC, Davy Paris, Gonzo Barcelona, Djoko Monte Carlo ( Verdasco was fav after looking enormously impressive in his prev. two).

3x Djoko ;)

scoobs
11-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Seriously?

When you made a positive comment on one of his earlier match threads, I just assumed you were being sarcastic.

Alek
11-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Vamos Fernando, regroup and have a good show in Paris-Bercy. :D

FlameOn
11-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Vamos Fernando, regroup and have a good show in Paris-Bercy. :D
Hey, love your sig. ;) You need to move Australian Open to semifinalist though not quarterfinalist. :yeah:

philosophicalarf
11-08-2009, 10:19 PM
3x Djoko ;)

See later in my post, he wasn't a dog in Monte Carlo, he was a marginal favourite (1.91 vs 2.0).

malisha
11-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Murray not even close to his best, gave away two complete gift breaks in the second set, and still won pretty comfortably.

this

Nando needs to be at his best and then maybe he have the chance to win while Murray can play from a wheelchair and still it wolud be a 50-50 match

Alek
11-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Hey, love your sig. ;) You need to move Australian Open to semifinalist though not quarterfinalist. :yeah:

Can't believe my stupidity :o LOL

FlameOn
11-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Can't believe my stupidity :o LOL
Hey don't worry, it's fixed now, and it puts nicely just how consistent Nando's been this year. :yeah: