Basel QF: Djokovic survives against Wawrinka, 3-6 7-6 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Basel QF: Djokovic survives against Wawrinka, 3-6 7-6 6-2

Ad Wim
11-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Awesome Nole, absolutely awesome! Having an offday for 1,5 set but keeps fighting and surviving. Wins the TB and after that he picked up his game. We saw Federer winning like this so many times, this is what being a contender is all about :yeah:

Certinfy
11-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Awesome :worship:

Now please take out Sexy :)

munZe konZa
11-06-2009, 06:01 PM
I can't believe he gave a free point in a tie break, something cheater Federererer never does . He played absolutely great return to break back in the 2nd set at 3:4

mayagaller
11-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Good job, Nole! :worship:

Wawrinka, OTOH, :spit:

gulzhan
11-06-2009, 06:02 PM
:bounce:

I want Djokovic vs Federer final :rocker2:

Voo de Mar
Wawrinka was two points away from victory at *5:5 in the tie-break (but D'Joke was cheated by the linesman at one point in that tie-break). At least he usually plays competitive matches against the best players in the world.

Bascule
Unbelievable "Nadalesque" win! I thought It was over at 6:4, 4:3 when Stan broke Novak. He played fantastic until the TB. Maybe he lost some confidence cause he never won any Tb against Novak. Why is he such a headcase at the end of his matches?

Brick Top
11-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Nole showed some fighting spirit here:)

Lee
11-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Great perseverance by Djokovic in this match. He did not focus well at the beginning of the match and Stan played great and served like a devil. Stan let his nerve got him after up a break vs Novak at 4-3 and donated the break back. He still had the chance to win the match but losing the TB in 2nd set finally the last straw and Djokovic cruised thru 3rd set.

Bascule
I can't believe he gave a free point in a tie break, something cheater Federererer never does . He played absolutely great return to break back in the 2nd set at 3:4

That point at TB was such a shame and I thought it was over. Novak, why not challenge???

Sunset of Age
Stani's outlook seemed very sunny halfway the match, being up a set and a break, playing amazing tennis so far.
At that point, however, Djoko decided he had done more than enough napping and immediately broke back. From that moment on you could see Stani's level diminish whereas Djoko came back to the level one should expect from a top player, taking the second set in the TB. From that moment on, Stani just went away. A rather 'Federesque' victory for Djokovic... or loss for Stani. :lol:
Well good try anyways Stani :hug: and congrats Djoko! :hatoff:

Voo de Mar
11-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Unbelievable "Nadalesque" win! I thought It was over at 6:4, 4:3 when Stan broke Novak.

Really? Djokovic seemed to be very calm, I think he had this match under control even in that moment.

philosophicalarf
11-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Djoko's forehand is a bit of a defensive liability vs pace on courts this quick, Wawa exploited it well.

Wawa 3rd set though - I mean seriously, that was just embarrassing. Lose a narrow tiebreak, then just collapse and instantly give away a double break and the match. I was cheering him on till then, but it was a bit pathetic.

Noleta
Really thought Stan had the match;he was dicatating the play,not to mention his monstrous serve:eek:Nole:hatoff:he stayed in the match never looked back once he took his chances:yeah:

:hug:Stan:hug:

Bilbo
lucky one, nole

now federer has to do the job by himself

Corey Feldman
11-06-2009, 06:07 PM
nice donation of the match Wawrinka, well done :wavey:

Ad Wim
That point at TB was such a shame and I thought it was over. Novak, why not challenge???

Very strange yeah, good that it wasn't decisive :o

stroopery
I can't believe this sh*t. I just can't.

Stan was the better player for most of the first two sets, at some points he practically toyed around with nole, looking so energetic and confident, until nole broke back to make it 4-4 in the second, then he struggled. Even if he struggled he was doing pretty well until he gave away that point in the tiebreak, but goodness me, what a meltdown in the 3rd set.

fucking hell, stan. it was as if the stan of the previous two sets was not really there anymore. there was nothing from him in that final set. that 3rd set meltdown was pretty damn painful to watch.

same old story with stan. 2010 just can't come soon enough. aaaaaaugh.

gulzhan
Really? Djokovic seemed to be very calm, I think he had this match under control even in that moment.

Too bad I couldn't see that on sb :lol: Was all nerves for the past 2 hrs :o

Foxy
11-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah, baby.
So strooooooong. Win the title, baby.

Noleta
11-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Tbh Nole's game was better after he broke back:shrug:

yellowboy906
11-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Stani's outlook seemed very sunny halfway the match, being up a set and a break, playing amazing tennis so far.
At that point, however, Djoko decided he had done more than enough napping and immediately broke back. From that moment on you could see Stani's level diminish whereas Djoko came back to the level one should expect from a top player, taking the second set in the TB. From that moment on, Stani just went away. A rather 'Federesque' victory for Djokovic... or loss for Stani. :lol:
Well good try anyways Stani :hug: and congrats Djoko! :hatoff:
A rather 'Federesque" victory for del pussy in US open final beating a 15 time mug.:lol:

pica_pica
11-06-2009, 06:11 PM
First....:hug: :hug: poor Wawa. Must be tough to lose so narrowly in front of home crowd :awww: :hug:

And......

NOLE!!!!!!! :woohoo: :hatoff: :worship: :hatoff:

Diamonds are made by harsh polishing, and the best virtue comes only during adversities! I'll remember that 2nd set forever. What a role model Nole is! Down a set & a break and yet his belief never wavers. This is what true champions do :yeah: :worship: Keep it up Nole :D I appreciate this mental toughness so much :hatoff: :kiss:

Sunset of Age
11-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Djoko did some nice attempt of match donating as well when he refused to challenge that point of his that went on the line in the TB which got called out. ;)

Tbh Nole's game was better after he broke back:shrug:

Absolutely, but one cannot deny that after Novak won that TB, Wawa just... folded like a cheap tent. :o

Sunset of Age
11-06-2009, 06:14 PM
A rather 'Federesque" victory for del pussy in US open final beating a 15 time mug.:lol:

Like I said, one could also call it a Federesque loss for Wawa. ;)

pica_pica
11-06-2009, 06:17 PM
:hatoff:

Excellent description :yeah:

Noleta
11-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Djoko did some nice attempt of match donating as well when he refused to challenge that point of his that went on the line in the TB which got called out. ;)

Absolutely, but one cannot deny that after Novak won that TB, Wawa just... folded like a cheap tent. :o

The good thing that it wasn't a crucial point:bolt:

True:oI felt sorry for him:awww:

Bascule
11-06-2009, 06:22 PM

Very good answer.;)

dj_mercury
11-06-2009, 06:50 PM
First 16 games showed that Wawrinka has the potential to be a top 10 player, the remaining 14 games showed why he isn't. You can be as good as you want technically, but if you don't have nerves and mental strength you will continuously fail to make the big jump.

UsD.AnDreS
11-06-2009, 06:57 PM
3rd time in last 2 years Wawa loses after being a set up against Djokovic.Can see these previous 2 in Rome'08 and Monte Carlo'09 pushing on Wawrinka's mind a bit when he went a break up and it was so close.

Sapeod
11-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Wawrinka folded after that 2nd set... pathetic.

kisen
11-06-2009, 07:17 PM
The scheduling helped Djokovic. Wawrinka was already tired phisically and mentally at the start of the match. It's not surprising he tanked the 3rd set.

Andi-M
11-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Wawa choked against a top 5 player.....shocker!

Nevertheless great fight from Nole

Bernard Black
11-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Not good to see Stan fall apart like that in the last set, up until then he definitely had the upper-hand.

Impressive mental strength from Djokovic though, was getting killed in some of those rallies but just remained solid, waited for Stan to gas a little and then took his chances throughout the second half of the match.

zcess81
11-06-2009, 08:19 PM
What I found most impressive about his victory today was "Federesque" composure Nole showed. If he manages to keep his cool and composure like he did today future looks bright for him. Fed was much like Novak in his early days (temper/composurewise) but then he matured and became what he is today...and I have a feeling that Novak is desperately trying to keep his emotions under wraps these days. I really do feel that he is evolving into a better player. This was his worst year resultwise, but it seems to me that he is becoming a different player...and dare I say a better player. He took one step back this year but this might be good for his overall development, and who knows, maybe in 2010 he'll take two steps forward...we'll see, hope I'm right.

Aaric
11-06-2009, 09:03 PM
:o
Please hire a psychologist, its not normal you lose so many close matches (apart from Federer in Montecarlo, he has choked maaaany times against top players), what a waste of talent. He has improved indoors this year tough, and he´s not defending anything in Paris.
Maybe next time, just keep fighting please :hug:

FlameOn
11-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Nole, you AFR. :worship: Now beat Sexy in the SF. :devil:

Henry Chinaski
11-06-2009, 09:25 PM
stan likes to play hard to get for a while against the top players but he always bends over in the end

Jōris
11-06-2009, 09:35 PM
:aparty:

sawan66278
11-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Unbelievable "Nadalesque" win! I thought It was over at 6:4, 4:3 when Stan broke Novak. He played fantastic until the TB. Maybe he lost some confidence cause he never won any Tb against Novak. Why is he such a headcase at the end of his matches?

Well said, Captain. Novak gutted out the win in front of Stan's home crowd. If the man can't defeat Novak there, he'll probably never do it. While I believe Stan did choke in a sense, you have to give it Novak for not throwing in the towel once he went down a break in the second...particularly after Stan had all the momentum.

You almost got the feeling that Novak knew this was a player he had beaten on so many other occasions...and he was not going to allow this to happen today.

Nole fan
11-06-2009, 11:12 PM
If he manages to keep his cool and composure like he did today future looks bright for him. Fed was much like Novak in his early days (temper/composurewise) but then he matured and became what he is today...and I have a feeling that Novak is desperately trying to keep his emotions under wraps these days. I really do feel that he is evolving into a better player.

I couldn't have said it better. I've always thought that Nole lacked somehow the cold blood and composure that players like Fed and Nadal showed at crucial moments and that's the only thing between him and the glory days. That's why I'm so proud of him today, because he has shown the traits of a champion and if he keeps it like that he will achieve whatever he wants in his career. I believe 100% in him, he just needs to stay focused and control his temper and nerves and he will be the champion he's ought to be. Good for Nole. Now win the title!

Vida
11-07-2009, 12:48 AM
saw only the beginning of this match. nole :yeah:

stan is now 2-7 vs djoko.

pica_pica
11-07-2009, 04:08 AM
First 16 games showed that Wawrinka has the potential to be a top 10 player, the remaining 14 games showed why he isn't. You can be as good as you want technically, but if you don't have nerves and mental strength you will continuously fail to make the big jump.
:yeah: Well said. Good analysis.

betowiec
11-07-2009, 04:32 AM
this guy is special

momo_momo
11-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Hope Novak keeps the composure to win another title.

Or else, too bad, he won't make it to number 1 in his lifetime.
Maybe, if someone winds up dead, retiring, tested positive for drugs or got sidelined by injuries.

If Nole doesn't win a Slam next year my bets are off.
Or at least 2 Masters.

Jimbolero
11-07-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm very happy with the way Nole turned the match around, very progressively. Stan was in great shape the first two sets (the backhand to break Nole at 4-3 first set, and the crossed backhand passing shot at the beginning of the 2nd)- playing in front of his crowd is kind of galvanising I guess but it also adds a lot of pressure though. Then he fell down but no matter, his game was really satisfying so maybe he'll achieve something in Bercy?
However, I not very confident about Nole's chances agains Fed. :sad:

Huey84
11-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Ok - help me out here gais.

Why do people call Stepanek 'sexy'? Is it a sarcastic remark or is he really a good looking chap?

Vida
11-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Ok - help me out here gais.

Why do people call Stepanek 'sexy'? Is it a sarcastic remark or is he really a good looking chap?

its cause he has no shame.

Certinfy
11-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Yes, Stepanek is really a good looking chap :rolleyes:

gusavo
11-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Well said, Captain. Novak gutted out the win in front of Stan's home crowd. If the man can't defeat Novak there, he'll probably never do it. While I believe Stan did choke in a sense, you have to give it Novak for not throwing in the towel once he went down a break in the second...particularly after Stan had all the momentum.

You almost got the feeling that Novak knew this was a player he had beaten on so many other occasions...and he was not going to allow this to happen today.

uh, he can beat him here, OBVIOUSSSSLY. Why would you think djok was 100% to win? And why would you think he was 100% to win at 55 in the tiebreak?