Jason Kubler, next big junior? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Jason Kubler, next big junior?

Matchu
11-05-2009, 05:56 AM
Ok so some of you may have heard about this kid already but Jason Kubler can't seem to lose a match on the junior circuit. He has won 24 matches in a row with a junior davis cup win in between those tournament victories.

He is from the same state as Bernard Tomic and many people actually believed that last year he was a better player than Bernard at the same age. Fernando Verdasco had a hit with him in Brisbane earlier this year and stated that he hit like an 18 year old even though he was just 15 at the time. He is now one tournament victory away from junior top 10 and being born in 1993 makes this achievement pretty impressive.

Unlike Bernard Jason Kubler has a very good reputation on among the professionals and is not completely full of himself like Bernard. Perhaps he needs to get a few ATP points before people start taking him a little bit more serious though.

RafitoGoat
11-05-2009, 06:17 AM
What age would he likely get an Australian Open or Adelaide wildcard? Hewitt started at 16 or something.

n8
11-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Kubler's run has been sensational. Unless I'm mistaken, Kubler will move up to 4 in Juniors if he wins Asian/Oceania Closed Championships 2009 in Korea this week (currently in R16). All this and he's the youngest player in the top 60 in the boys' rankings.

Kubler potentially has a huge Australian summer ahead of him. Hopefully he'll play some futures in November/December and then perhaps get a qualifying wild card into Brisbane. From there he'll have a realistic chance at winning the Australian Open Juniors' championship.

I'm am extremely excited about this kid. Best of all, he seems to have a great personality.

duong
11-05-2009, 07:56 AM
he's only 7 months younger than Tomic : please note that Tomic was born in late 1992.

At the same age, Tomic had done much more.

Anyway, what he's done is good, but it's not so exceptional comparing to Tomic, Krajinovic, Bhambri, Harrison, who at the same age, had all reached junior grand slam semi-finals.

A_Skywalker
11-05-2009, 08:04 AM
May be Tomic and Kubler have this success because they grow faster than the other kids. What they will do at the men stage is more important.

duong
11-05-2009, 09:05 AM
he's only 7 months younger than Tomic : please note that Tomic was born in late 1992.

At the same age, Tomic had done much more.

Anyway, what he's done is good, but it's not so exceptional comparing to Tomic, Krajinovic, Bhambri, Harrison, who at the same age, had all reached junior grand slam semi-finals.

To be more precise : at the same age, Tomic had won a junior grand slam one year ago, been ranked number 1 or 2 in the juniors, won a (small) challenger and beaten Starace in a grand slam.

Moreover, I believe that the competition in juniors is now lower than it was in 2008 when there was Dimitrov, Yang Tsung-Hua, Tomic, Krajinovic, Bhambri, Harrison ...

So far, generation 1993 has done nothing.

duong
11-05-2009, 09:07 AM
May be Tomic and Kubler have this success because they grow faster than the other kids. What they will do at the men stage is more important.

as far as the size is concerned, it's rather small players who usually succeed in the juniors and don't confirm later.

But of course there's also a matter of muscle growth for which I can't say much, but Tomic didn't look especially advanced on that point when I saw him.

Certinfy
11-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Could well be :)

Matchu
11-05-2009, 01:30 PM
What age would he likely get an Australian Open or Adelaide wildcard? Hewitt started at 16 or something.

I would suspect Jason need to get a couple of ATP points in order to recieve a wildcard into Brisbane this January (adelaide doesn't exist anymore). I think it would be pretty silly of Tennis Australia not to give him a qualifying wildcard into Australian Open though.

Either way he will be a high seed in the Australian Open juniors and if he goes all the way he'll be ranked number one which means wildcards from everyone!

out_here_grindin
11-05-2009, 02:20 PM
To be more precise : at the same age, Tomic had won a junior grand slam one year ago, been ranked number 1 or 2 in the juniors, won a (small) challenger and beaten Starace in a grand slam.

Moreover, I believe that the competition in juniors is now lower than it was in 2008 when there was Dimitrov, Yang Tsung-Hua, Tomic, Krajinovic, Bhambri, Harrison ...

So far, generation 1993 has done nothing.

shouldn't we sorry about generation 1990/91 doing anything before we worry about 93?

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
11-05-2009, 03:06 PM
http://www.cool-emoticons.com/rwx_gallery/EM_YoCi128.gif

the transition from younger to pro is where its at

the best junior ever might not even be a top 100 player

some people just cant adjust man

jmf07
11-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Impressive stuff from him and and the Osaka Mayor Cup and Junior Davis Cup aren't mug junior tournaments.

He has had a few injuries I think but other than that physically he should have no problems adjusting to the pro level. Well built for his age and has a big game that he says is best suited for clay. His profile on Tennis Australia likens him to a right handed version of Nadal.

It will be good to see what "I'm better than God" Tomic does though. He will be distraught that someone is threatening to take the next big thing spotlight and funding away from him in Australia.

duong
11-05-2009, 04:53 PM
shouldn't we sorry about generation 1990/91 doing anything before we worry about 93?

yes of course (1989 is even worse) but it was not the topic here :lol:

duong
11-05-2009, 04:56 PM
http://www.cool-emoticons.com/rwx_gallery/EM_YoCi128.gif

the transition from younger to pro is where its at

the best junior ever might not even be a top 100 player

some people just cant adjust man

the best player at junior age he will be a top 100 player for sure, I can assure it has been the case in every generation for 20 years

... the problem is rather that the best players at one age are not always present in junior grand slams (see Nicolas Pereira who won 3 junior grand slams in 1988 but who was more than obviously not at all the same level as Agassi or Courier who had the same age but didn't care these competitions)

petar_pan
11-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Ok so some of you may have heard about this kid already but Jason Kubler can't seem to lose a match on the junior circuit. He has won 24 matches in a row with a junior davis cup win in between those tournament victories.

He is from the same state as Bernard Tomic and many people actually believed that last year he was a better player than Bernard at the same age. Fernando Verdasco had a hit with him in Brisbane earlier this year and stated that he hit like an 18 year old even though he was just 15 at the time. He is now one tournament victory away from junior top 10 and being born in 1993 makes this achievement pretty impressive.

Unlike Bernard Jason Kubler has a very good reputation on among the professionals and is not completely full of himself like Bernard. Perhaps he needs to get a few ATP points before people start taking him a little bit more serious though.

man did you hear such type of story, i.e. "cristiano ronaldo is the best player on the world but his brother who is baker was even better but he didn't want to play professional football". thats's all about.

about this kid, he is great and he will probably be good.
i am very happy that australia has new really good prospects because australia is one of the greatest tennis country.
but i don't know why you aussies don't like tomic. it is because of his arrogance or because he isn't born down under.

Etern
11-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Impressive stuff from him and and the Osaka Mayor Cup and Junior Davis Cup aren't mug junior tournaments.

He has had a few injuries I think but other than that physically he should have no problems adjusting to the pro level. Well built for his age and has a big game that he says is best suited for clay. His profile on Tennis Australia likens him to a right handed version of Nadal.

It will be good to see what "I'm better than God" Tomic does though. He will be distraught that someone is threatening to take the next big thing spotlight and funding away from him in Australia.

The Osaka Mayor were a mug junior tournament this year.. Still, I am very impressed by his results lately and I hope he can be injury free now. He is one of the juniors that I really want to see make it as a senior.

Matchu
11-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Kubler's run has been sensational. Unless I'm mistaken, Kubler will move up to 4 in Juniors if he wins Asian/Oceania Closed Championships 2009 in Korea this week (currently in R16). All this and he's the youngest player in the top 60 in the boys' rankings.

Kubler potentially has a huge Australian summer ahead of him. Hopefully he'll play some futures in November/December and then perhaps get a qualifying wild card into Brisbane. From there he'll have a realistic chance at winning the Australian Open Juniors' championship.

I'm am extremely excited about this kid. Best of all, he seems to have a great personality.

Well if what you said in another thread is true and he will gain 180 points if he wins Korea then 20 points will be taken off from another result and his 650 points will go to 810 points which leaves him one point behind third. In saying that though second and third in the juniors have a lot of points to defend in December and Jason should be able to sneak to second by the time the Australian Open comes around.

I'm just really hoping he gets to number 1 so he will be given wildcards by just about every federation out there.

jmf07
11-06-2009, 02:02 AM
but i don't know why you aussies don't like tomic. it is because of his arrogance or because he isn't born down under.

The General Australian Public likes Tomic but it is those who follow tennis and are aware of his antics that have a disliking for him

Examples of why he is disliked:

- Insults Luczak who is one of the nicest guys on tour after losing a practice match for the Davis Cup tie in Chile. No surprsie he wasn't invited to their next Davis Cup tie.
- Walks off the court and accuses Matosevic of cheating and the umpires not doing anything about it. After the Father has his go at the umpire he then switches his attention to Tennis Australia saying they rig the draws against him. Yes Tennis Australia is giving him all this funding just so they can rig the draw against him. It also funny considering that in local tournaments Tomic has been known to make questionable calls in his matches.
- Been sent home for lack of commitment at 2007 French Open Juniors. The lack of commitment isnt so bad but when you say you already have the heart of Hewitt but are getting sent home for lack of effort in matches and then even quits a match you have to wonder.
- Tells Hewitt that Hewitt isnt good enough to practice with him. Then tries to make some excuse about having swine flu but yet he still aproached Ferrero and then accused Ferrero of lying
- Father keeps whining about not receiving enough funding. Considering his history and the other promising Australian juniors that the funding has to be given to he should consider himself lucky to even be getting a cent from them. Plus I doubt those juniors would be receiving anywhere near what Bernard does through sponsorships and media appearances. Eg six figure deal for signing with IMG not to mention a deal with Nike.
- Arrogance

His birthplace has nothing to do with it. Just look at Luczak and Ball or Groth and Rodionova on the womens side.

fast_clay
11-06-2009, 02:26 AM
hahahaahh... that about covers it then.. probly missed a couple tho jm... hahah

Matchu
11-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Lets get back on topic

Asian/Oceania Closed Championships 2009

Jason Kubler (3) d. Summet Shinde (11) 6-0 6-2

Just three wins away from being ranked number 4 in the world!

n8
11-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Kubler wins again! And he isn't just winning, he is thrashing his opponents:

64 W Chel Tae Gong KANG (KOR) 6-0 6-2
32 W Ki-Hoon KIM (KOR) 6-4 6-1
16 W (14)Sumeet SHINDE (IND) 6-0 6-2
QF W (5)Ben MCLACHLAN (NZL) 6-3 6-1
S vs. (6) Chuhan WANG

duong
11-06-2009, 11:33 AM
And he isn't just winning, he is thrashing his opponents:

it's good, but the density and level difference in junior tournaments is not at all comparable with the adults' tournaments.

here you only have one or two generations, not many ones like in the adults.

Matchu
11-06-2009, 01:43 PM
it's good, but the density and level difference in junior tournaments is not at all comparable with the adults' tournaments.

here you only have one or two generations, not many ones like in the adults.

You make a fair point but given his 26 match wins in a row and 6 of them coming from a GA tournament he had to have played at least a couple of good players that will some day be very good pros. I see the point you make though and the real test will be seniors but at the moment he is dominating the junior scene which is worth some recognition.

He will get his real test probably in the next two weeks in the Australian futures coming up. I think the fact he is still playing very well and having straight set wins is a testament to his fitness level, hes probably fit enough to go 5 sets at this point in time.