H2H Nadal vs Del Potro? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

H2H Nadal vs Del Potro?

swisht4u
11-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Who will lead the H2H a few years down the line?

Del Potro is looking stronger all the time and has the mental strength to back up his game. He's young and can improve, the serve (which is already good), court movement most definitely.

Add experience and his return of serve should improve too.
As with new players coming up it takes some time to figure out weak areas, so Del Potro will have to respond to these challenges.

I wanted to see the general outlook on how he matches up with Nadal.

Nadal leads the H2H 4-3 as of now.

2009 US Open
NY, U.S.A. Hard Semis
6-2, 6-2, 6-2 Del Potro, Juan Martin

2009 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Canada
Montréal, Canada Hard Quarters
7-6(5), 6-1 Del Potro, Juan Martin

2009 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami
FL, U.S.A. Hard Quarters
6-4, 3-6, 7-6(3) Del Potro, Juan Martin

2009 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells
CA, U.S.A. Hard Quarters
6-2, 6-4 Nadal, Rafael

2007 London / Queen's Club
Great Britain Grass R32
6-4, 6-4 Nadal, Rafael

2007 Roland Garros
France Clay R128
7-5, 6-3, 6-2 Nadal, Rafael

2007 ATP Masters Series Miami
FL, U.S.A. Hard R16
6-0, 6-4 Nadal, Rafael

Noleta
11-04-2009, 11:24 PM
I'll go for DelPo,since there are more tournaments on HC:shrug:

swisht4u
11-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I'll go for DelPo,since there are more tournaments on HC:shrug:

It does look like DelPo has Nadal's number on hards, there doesn't seem to be an answer from Nadal as yet. Some times it takes a few meetings to find weaknesses in the other guy.
Nadal hasn't been up to his usual self lately, but on the other hand Nadal's style of play doesn't seem to bother DelPo.

Certinfy
11-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Del Potro, kinda was hoping for him to level the H2H this year aswell

Noleta
11-04-2009, 11:39 PM
It does look like DelPo has Nadal's number on hards, there doesn't seem to be an answer from Nadal as yet. Some times it takes a few meetings to find weaknesses in the other guy.
Nadal hasn't been up to his usual self lately, but on the other hand Nadal's style of play doesn't seem to bother DelPo.

Agree.Let's just hope DelPo keeps it up,and not crumble under the expectations:shrug:

swisht4u
11-05-2009, 12:32 AM
nadal is a much better australian open player than del potro, i hope they meet there (and roland garros, and wimbledon), plus in their matchup just before the us open nadal was only just coming back from tendinitis and led 5-2 in the tie-break 1st set, while at the us open nadal couldnt serve properly with the stomach strain, so nadal may beat del potro in future us opens too

Agreed, this year there were a lot of problems for Nadal, and then he has to come back and get in top shape.

On the other side, DelPo is getting better and most important doesn't appear to get nervous.
Should be interesting.

HKz
11-05-2009, 12:44 AM
:o nadal is a much better australian open player than del potro, i hope they meet there (and roland garros, and wimbledon), plus in their matchup just before the us open nadal was only just coming back from tendinitis and led 5-2 in the tie-break 1st set, while at the us open nadal couldnt serve properly with the stomach strain, so nadal may beat del potro in future us opens too :o

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

EVERYONE RAFAWON09USOPEN IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE IDIOT OF THE YEAR IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid, I thought Nadal was going to be BY FAR the freshest player at the US Open? And how come after he lost to Del Potro, you absolutely disappeared? Were you THAT embarrassed?

By the way, where are all the quotes that you were going to embarrass ALL of us at? Or wait, YOU CAN'T embarrass US. LOL!

This one is about how Nadal is going to win US Open 2009..
Nadal is on a different level to Federer, look at how early Nadal is winning the Career Grand Slam, that's 5 years younger than Federer. Go on about tendinitis and tell me Nadal will retire young, but keep in mind that tendinitis doesn't end careers, it merely asks for a couple of months rest now and then, and now that Nadal and camp know this they will be a head of the curve when it comes to scheduling and prevent the build-up of tendinitis by opting for breaks just after slams and be fresh for the next slam. So Nadal's rate of winning will continue for a long time, and just as he is overshadowing Federer by winning the Career Grand Slam so early he will also pass Federer's slam total at a young age. Defending Duel Hardcourt Slam Champ. Get used to the title.

This one is about how Nadal was going to beat Del Potro in SF..
Based on their previous meeting a couple of weeks ago, in which Nadal led 5-3 in the tie-breaker but lost, that was Nadal at his most rusty, so considering Del Potro had trouble with that version of Nadal, I'd think Nadal will win this meeting comfortably.

This one is about how Nadal will get to the final and demolish Federer..
Nadal is very close to not just defeating Federer at the US Open, but defeating him in 3 sets, maybe 4 but nobody should be surprised if it's a complete demolition. Don't forget, Nadal led Federer 2 sets to love at Wimbledon and was dictating play in the 3rd, very close to straight sets before the rain came. And frankly, Federer has looked quite error-prone this US Open, more error-prone than last year's Wimbledon.

Federer had his chances to build wins up in the head2head over the years but failed, now as he gets older he'll have to deal with the fact that Nadal is only getting better and more unbeatable.

This one is about how Nadal will meet Roger at the finals of US Open 2009 and prove he is better..
How embarassing for Federer, he is about to lose to Nadal for the 2nd time in a hardcourt slam this year, and it will be despite having a big edge in the schedule much like the Australian Open when Nadal played the longest singles match in AO history and got one day's less rest. I think this is for the best so it leaves no mono excuses etc., Nadal at his most lethargic still is better than Federer and Federer's favorite surface too.

Plus many more!! Look at his posts :D

http://www.menstennisforums.com/search.php?searchid=1806166

RafitoGoat
11-05-2009, 01:00 AM
This matchup favors Del Potro, at least tactically.

whattheheck
11-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Delpo

the graduate
11-05-2009, 04:43 AM
del pony owns Rafa now and soon the h2h will favour the argie

Johnny Groove
11-05-2009, 04:51 AM
I'm interested in seeing how Del Potro plays in 2010. After he won the USO, I'm sure he partied hardcore and got faded to the max in Argentina and simply wasn't ready to come back so soon in Asia.

If JMDP's form in the USO becomes the norm, then I think not only can he beat Nadal, he can challenge for #1 in the world.

It also depends on what kind of shape Nadal comes into in 2010. I want to see an AO final between these two.

SetSampras
11-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Of course Del Potro.. he has 500 thousand less miles to his body than Nadal and at this point has more upside to his career whereas Nadal spent years picking up the slack as a rival to Fed while all the losers were MIA or never were good enough to be rivals( ROddick, Davydenko, Blake, CHokovic,Safin, Nalbandian etc

Arkulari
11-05-2009, 06:15 AM
theRAFA is back!!! :woohoo:
just in time for the ACC :D

habibko
11-05-2009, 07:30 AM
this matchup is a done deal as far as I'm concerned, Del Pony should be able to handle Nadal on hard and clay courts as well, he has yet to defeat Nadal on clay but I expect that to happen next year should they meet, grass is questionable though.

I'm more interested in the Fed vs. Del Potro matchup actually, will be interesting to see how their matches unfold now that Del Pony has betean Fed under the biggest pressure possible, which should have taken care of the mental edge, now this should be a fun matchup going forward.

coonster14
11-05-2009, 10:00 AM
rafa's high loopy topspin shots do not bother del potro one little bit, they land right into del potro's hitting zone.

unless rafa hits with less topspin, flattens out that ball, gets more DEPTH on his shots and stands closer to the baseline (omg this is alot), then he is going to lose to del potro every time they meet on hard court.

i for one, am hopeful that rafa smartens up and tries to change up his HC game, standing 3 metres behind the baseline and retrieving like a madman is not going to get him wins against aggressive HC players such as djokovic, del potro, soderling, cilic.

i am looking forward to a clay court meeting between these two next year.

oranges
11-05-2009, 10:13 AM
:o nadal is a much better australian open player than del potro, i hope they meet there (and roland garros, and wimbledon), plus in their matchup just before the us open nadal was only just coming back from tendinitis and led 5-2 in the tie-break 1st set, while at the us open nadal couldnt serve properly with the stomach strain, so nadal may beat del potro in future us opens too :o

RAFAwon09USO is back :worship: Only a couple of months in hiding and back to the old tune already. I see that your nick is getting progressively more ambitious. Is it because you get at the very least a full year before you have to go undercover as 8pnadal again and with some wiggling, you can actually avoid it till retirement?

Sophocles
11-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Del Potro matches up well with Nadal but he's so far thrashed him only once on Nadal's worst surface, & Nadal thrashed him in Indian Wells before he started losing. Of course since then Del Potro's got better, but Nadal has declined. I expect Del Potro to maintain a significant edge on hard courts, rather as Djokovic has done, but it's too early to say about clay, though of course even if Rafa's superiority on that surface lasts, Del Potro has to get far enough to keep running into him for that to affect the head-to-head.

Andi-M
11-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Del Potro's persistant power not good for Rafa at all i expect a fit DelPo to def a fit Nadal 80% of the time on hardcourts.
Wouldn't be suprised if he figures out how to beat this Rafa post injury on clay either. Hopefully Rafa can return to his old self soon!!

Fiberlight1
11-05-2009, 02:34 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

EVERYONE RAFAWON09USOPEN IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE IDIOT OF THE YEAR IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid, I thought Nadal was going to be BY FAR the freshest player at the US Open? And how come after he lost to Del Potro, you absolutely disappeared? Were you THAT embarrassed?

By the way, where are all the quotes that you were going to embarrass ALL of us at? Or wait, YOU CAN'T embarrass US. LOL!

This one is about how Nadal is going to win US Open 2009..

This one is about how Nadal was going to beat Del Potro in SF..

This one is about how Nadal will get to the final and demolish Federer..

This one is about how Nadal will meet Roger at the finals of US Open 2009 and prove he is better..

Plus many more!! Look at his posts :D

http://www.menstennisforums.com/search.php?searchid=1806166

http://www.garageracing.com/schel/a/funny/face%20palm.jpg

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
11-05-2009, 02:48 PM

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/3/39/Animatedemoticons.gif

Johnny Groove
11-05-2009, 02:50 PM
this matchup is a done deal as far as I'm concerned, Del Pony should be able to handle Nadal on hard and clay courts as well, he has yet to defeat Nadal on clay but I expect that to happen next year should they meet, grass is questionable though.

I'm more interested in the Fed vs. Del Potro matchup actually, will be interesting to see how their matches unfold now that Del Pony has betean Fed under the biggest pressure possible, which should have taken care of the mental edge, now this should be a fun matchup going forward.

Let's not get too carried away here.

Apemant
11-05-2009, 03:30 PM
RAFAwon09USO is back :worship: Only a couple of months in hiding and back to the old tune already. I see that your nick is getting progressively more ambitious. Is it because you get at the very least a full year before you have to go undercover as 8pnadal again and with some wiggling, you can actually avoid it till retirement?

How do you mean, 'at the very least a full year'? :confused:

If Nadal loses at AO, there goes the nick right away - as far as 2010 is concerned, of course. However, his nick doesn't state WHICH year Nadal will win Calendar Grand Slam; so, in theory, he can use that nick till Nadal is 36 years old. In fact, even if Nadal retires at like 28, he can keep the nick, and claim he's gonna return to the field and own everybody, like he usually owns everybody (I guess). :devil:

oranges
11-05-2009, 03:35 PM
^^ Right. I guess it's the latter, it'll be the next year then

swisht4u
11-05-2009, 04:06 PM
So far 30 for Del Potro and 9 for Nadal.

It looks like many consider DelPo to be a better overall player.
On clay he can play the same kind of game Soderling played at RG, only better.

If not for tiring out at the final 2 sets against Fed at RG he had a very good chance of being a 2 slam winner this year.

DelPo seems to be more of a threat to Nadal than a declining Fed.

You can't count Nadal out though, he's fought off a few injuries and should be in top shape come early next year. Nadal has come back from many months of winning nothing at all at the end of the 2007 period.

Players always make some adjustments, it's hard to be near the top. I'm expecting Nadal to work on serve, flatten out his shots when needed more often.

I'm including DelPo in the big 3 in my list, he's showed enough for me.

Orka_n
11-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Del Potro. That guy will just become more and more dangerous.
And I honestly would be surprised if Nadal manages to return to his old great form. Well, we'll see. It seems that AO 2010 will be a very interesting tournament, for many reasons.

tealeaves
11-06-2009, 12:06 AM
let's see how Delpo handles his matches after USO 2009, 0-2 is not that promising.

DJ Soup
11-06-2009, 03:55 AM
let's see how Delpo handles his matches after USO 2009, 0-2 is not that promising.

I think you forgot Delpo won the USO 2009

HKz
11-06-2009, 07:05 AM

Notice he doesn't have a date. But at least he chose CYGS so now everytime he loses at the Australian, we can all flood his PM box because he has to wait another year for his nick to be ever true.