Who will end 2010 as the No.1 player in the world? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who will end 2010 as the No.1 player in the world?

whattheheck
11-04-2009, 05:00 AM
2009 season is almost over, so why not predict who will end the 2010 season as Number 1. It would be nice to look back to this after the tennis calendar is over. In the list are the usual suspects and potential players of the future. Will Rafa get back the top position from Roger? Will Murray or Djokovic sneak up? Can Del Potro capitalize on that U.S. Open victory? Will somebody like Cilic join the big guys? All we know is that 2010 will be an interesting year for sure.;)

Roddickominator
11-04-2009, 05:10 AM
Yep.

theseth1119
11-04-2009, 05:12 AM
I feel like Murray has the most to prove b/c he has no GS title yet. A lot of these other guys have either won or at least made a final and have realized their full potential. I'm not completely convinced Murray hasn't reached his full potential yet.

DorianGray7
11-04-2009, 06:03 AM
LOL, everyone on this poll cannot be No. 1 by the end of this year except Rafa and Federer by the SHEER MATHEMATICAL POSSIBILITY.

DO THE MATH. Even Rafa has like 1% of Federer losing in the first round (He always is on the round 2 in Basel btw) of every single tournament from not on and doesn't show up to London period. ONLY then can Rafa, who has to win literally everything and enter in every tournament has a chance.

oranges
11-04-2009, 06:14 AM
LOL, everyone on this poll cannot be No. 1 by the end of this year except Rafa and Federer by the SHEER MATHEMATICAL POSSIBILITY.

DO THE MATH. Even Rafa has like 1% of Federer losing in the first round (He always is on the round 2 in Basel btw) of every single tournament from not on and doesn't show up to London period. ONLY then can Rafa, who has to win literally everything and enter in every tournament has a chance.

What math denies anyone the possibility since there's an entire season to be played? :o

Mario Sharapov
11-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Andy Roddick :angel:

Certinfy
11-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Roddick

gjr
11-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I've gone for Murray.

I think it's time he stepped up and won a slam. Winning the AO would be take a massive weight off his shoulders to relax into the rest of the season. I thought at the start of last year he would win one of IW / Miami and one of Canada / Cinci. I see no reason he can't pick up 2 HC masters again. If he can add a slam especially the AO, it could be a great year for him.

Xristos
11-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Djokovic.

Jimnik
11-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Andy

Action Jackson
11-04-2009, 08:55 AM
whattheheck

Jōris
11-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Private polls suck.

Goldenoldie
11-04-2009, 09:17 AM

My schoolteachers always told me to read the question before giving the answer:)

Goldenoldie
11-04-2009, 09:18 AM
My vote is Nadal kneesily!

duong
11-04-2009, 10:07 AM
very very very hard for me : in the end I went for Murray :confused:

I hesitated mostly with Nadal, then with Djokovic.

I don't believe Federer can do it again, it's too hard at that age with such a competition : I just hope he wins 1 or 2 slams (even if what's good for Federer is that they might also neutralize each other and then winning 1 or 2 slams might be enough).

Del Potro can also do it, he has all the tennis potential but I'm more concerned about his physical and the fact that it seems that Wimbledon is not for him.

It's between those 5

Roddick or Söderling :lol:

But I think the ATP World Tour final will tell us more ;)

Ad Wim
11-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Very touhg indeed, as we don't know what next year brings. Federer probably will be less and less and Nadal has his chronic injuries. That gives Murray and Djokovic good opportunities to take over, cause they're both young and rising this year. Murray isn't too fit, so I'll go for Djokovic.

stebs
11-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I think, injury permitting of course, Nadal should do it. I don't think he will have dominance over the tour the way he did for around 14 months between 08 and 09 but he can still finish #1.

My reasoning is that whilst Nadal may actually acheive inferior hardcourt results to those he has acheived in the past a bank of clay court points should still be enough to sway the tide. Whilst a more balanced top group beat each other and take a more even split of hardcourt results throughout 09 Nadal will still be keeping a similar pace on those courts and then make up any difference with clay points.

Sophocles
11-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I think, injury permitting of course, Nadal should do it. I don't think he will have dominance over the tour the way he did for around 14 months between 08 and 09 but he can still finish #1.

My reasoning is that whilst Nadal may actually acheive inferior hardcourt results to those he has acheived in the past a bank of clay court points should still be enough to sway the tide. Whilst a more balanced top group beat each other and take a more even split of hardcourt results throughout 09 Nadal will still be keeping a similar pace on those courts and then make up any difference with clay points.

I agree. Nadal's got one more good year in him and unless Del Potro starts beating him on clay as well as hard courts, he'll earn enough in the clay/grass season to keep him ahead of Federer, Djokovic, Murray, & Del Potro, all whom can beat each other on hard courts.

Sunset of Age
11-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I agree. Nadal's got one more good year in him and unless Del Potro starts beating him on clay as well as hard courts, he'll earn enough in the clay/grass season to keep him ahead of Federer, Djokovic, Murray, & Del Potro, all whom can beat each other on hard courts.

+1. Rafa has the best theoretical chance right now, regarding the fact that he's got a good chance to pick up a big bucket of points if he's anywhere near to healthy at RG and Wimbly. Him being by far the best on clay gives him the advantage over everybody else on other courts, as like you say, all of possible other candidates are very capable of beating each other there.

Noleta
11-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Rafa,if he choses his tournaments carefully.Also Fed have a lot of points to defend unlike Rafa:shrug:

Elena.
11-04-2009, 04:01 PM
maybe Del Potro

Sapeod
11-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Andy Murray is the name you are looking for.

sammy01
11-04-2009, 04:47 PM
obviously simon, anyone who thinks otherwise is either fooling themselves or a hater :angel:

oranges
11-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Andy Murray is the name you are looking for.

The question is not about your wet dreams.

SaFed2005
11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Definitely Murray, no?
He is the best. he cannot be beaten. He is the favorite going into all the 4 slams in 2019.

Commander Data
11-04-2009, 05:18 PM
4 people going for Roddick. WTF?!

ad-out
11-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Probably Roger or Rafa again. This is why tennis has gotten boring lately. I hope I am wrong though..

Sofonda Cox
11-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Xristos

zlaja777
11-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Federer (šabančina papučarska)

Michael Bluth
11-04-2009, 05:35 PM
I just hope Roger can hold onto the no.1 ranking long enough to break Sampras' record for total weeks at no.1

momo_momo
11-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Probably Roger or Rafa again. This is why tennis has gotten boring lately. I hope I am wrong though..

I cannot agree more.

Come on, we need a breath of fresh air!! :wavey:

2009 has been sappy with the exception of Andre.

:rolls:

jonas
11-04-2009, 06:17 PM
I just hope Roger can hold onto the no.1 ranking long enough to break Sampras' record for total weeks at no.1

If he wants to do it in straight weeks from now, he has to hold the number one spot until June the 14th 2010. Tough one.

whattheheck
11-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Rafa, as long as he doesn't face Soderling or Del Potro in the draws.

vamosinator
11-05-2009, 12:15 AM
:o rafael nadal will win all 4 grand slams in 2010, in other words rafa will win the calendar year grand slam :o

RafitoGoat
11-05-2009, 12:20 AM
:o rafael nadal will win all 4 grand slams in 2010, in other words rafa will win the calendar year grand slam :o

Who is this guy! :haha:

Clay Death
11-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Rafa, as long as he doesn't face Soderling or Del Potro in the draws.

those 2 buffoons are not in clay monster`s league or class. get a clue old sport.

both d-pot and soderling had a tremendous year in 2009 but they will never be in the same class with Fed and the Clay Monster. i dont think either one (soderling and d-pot) beats a healthy and fit clay monster with any sort of regularity at the slams.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/claydeath/QM9JFCARTU6EICAMSGXH0CA6L12T0CAG9R9.jpg

HKz
11-05-2009, 01:33 AM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

EVERYONE RAFAWON09USOPEN IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE IDIOT OF THE YEAR IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid, I thought Nadal was going to be BY FAR the freshest player at the US Open? And how come after he lost to Del Potro, you absolutely disappeared? Were you THAT embarrassed?

By the way, where are all the quotes that you were going to embarrass ALL of us at? Or wait, YOU CAN'T embarrass US. LOL!

This one is about how Nadal is going to win US Open 2009..
Nadal is on a different level to Federer, look at how early Nadal is winning the Career Grand Slam, that's 5 years younger than Federer. Go on about tendinitis and tell me Nadal will retire young, but keep in mind that tendinitis doesn't end careers, it merely asks for a couple of months rest now and then, and now that Nadal and camp know this they will be a head of the curve when it comes to scheduling and prevent the build-up of tendinitis by opting for breaks just after slams and be fresh for the next slam. So Nadal's rate of winning will continue for a long time, and just as he is overshadowing Federer by winning the Career Grand Slam so early he will also pass Federer's slam total at a young age. Defending Duel Hardcourt Slam Champ. Get used to the title.

This one is about how Nadal was going to beat Del Potro in SF..
Based on their previous meeting a couple of weeks ago, in which Nadal led 5-3 in the tie-breaker but lost, that was Nadal at his most rusty, so considering Del Potro had trouble with that version of Nadal, I'd think Nadal will win this meeting comfortably.

This one is about how Nadal will get to the final and demolish Federer..
Nadal is very close to not just defeating Federer at the US Open, but defeating him in 3 sets, maybe 4 but nobody should be surprised if it's a complete demolition. Don't forget, Nadal led Federer 2 sets to love at Wimbledon and was dictating play in the 3rd, very close to straight sets before the rain came. And frankly, Federer has looked quite error-prone this US Open, more error-prone than last year's Wimbledon.

Federer had his chances to build wins up in the head2head over the years but failed, now as he gets older he'll have to deal with the fact that Nadal is only getting better and more unbeatable.

This one is about how Nadal will meet Roger at the finals of US Open 2009 and prove he is better..
How embarassing for Federer, he is about to lose to Nadal for the 2nd time in a hardcourt slam this year, and it will be despite having a big edge in the schedule much like the Australian Open when Nadal played the longest singles match in AO history and got one day's less rest. I think this is for the best so it leaves no mono excuses etc., Nadal at his most lethargic still is better than Federer and Federer's favorite surface too.

Plus many more!! Look at his posts :D

http://www.menstennisforums.com/search.php?searchid=1806166

whattheheck
11-05-2009, 02:51 AM

Wouldn't go that far.

whattheheck
11-05-2009, 02:54 AM
those 2 buffoons are not in clay monster`s league or class. get a clue old sport.

both d-pot and soderling had a tremendous year in 2009 but they will never be in the same class with Fed and the Clay Monster. i dont think either one (soderling and d-pot) beats a healthy and fit clay monster with any sort of regularity at the slams.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/claydeath/QM9JFCARTU6EICAMSGXH0CA6L12T0CAG9R9.jpg

Only time will tell. Even if Rafa is 100% healthy, that's not the issue really but the game plan the others have when playing against him.

CelesteBlanca
11-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Definitely Murray, no?
He is the best. he cannot be beaten. He is the favorite going into all the 4 slams in 2019.

RG not really. Maybe he will win a bunch of AOs WOs or USOs, but not RG

Clay Death
11-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Only time will tell. Even if Rafa is 100% healthy, that's not the issue really but the game plan the others have when playing against him.

agreed. next year tells all for once and for all.

leng jai
11-05-2009, 05:10 AM
CD, lose the pictures. And I say that with love.

Clay Death
11-05-2009, 05:25 AM
CD, lose the pictures. And I say that with love.

ok i will let go of the bigger pics.

what is the latest on Haas?

is he coming back in 2010?

also what is your take on drugassi? this thread is not about me but drugassi? is he a clever fellow or what?

habibko
11-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Who is this guy! :haha:

it's a long story... of retardation.

BlueSwan
11-05-2009, 07:03 AM

Yep. Agree with this. The fact that Nadal owns clay and all of the top players will share the hard court points heavily favours Nadal. Look at this year: Nadal didn't play Wimbledon, had a terrible and surprising French Open loss, while Federer won 2 slams and made the final of the other two and won two master series events: yet even with those results Federer is barely hanging on to the #1 slot.

whattheheck
11-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Yep. Agree with this. The fact that Nadal owns clay and all of the top players will share the hard court points heavily favours Nadal. Look at this year: Nadal didn't play Wimbledon, had a terrible and surprising French Open loss, while Federer won 2 slams and made the final of the other two and won two master series events: yet even with those results Federer is barely hanging on to the #1 slot.

Good point. But that's also because the other guys are catching up and not only because of Nadal's losses.

miura
11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes. Tsonga. No doubt. :rolleyes:

Certinfy
11-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I liked when Roddick was 2nd in the poll. :p

Anyway Roddick getting more votes than Murray and Del Potro :haha: :haha:

jonathancrane
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Robredo

MurrayFan1
11-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Nadal tbh.

Orka_n
11-05-2009, 08:40 PM
This thread brings great comedy xD. That RAFAwon guy... I wish I'd been here when his predictions went out the window last time. =D He seems like a troll but it's so obvious it's improbable.
And 6 people voted for Roddick! :lol:

I think Fed will hang in there one more year. But it's gonna be close 2010, for sure...

whattheheck
11-06-2009, 11:17 AM
I liked when Roddick was 2nd in the poll. :p

Anyway Roddick getting more votes than Murray and Del Potro :haha: :haha:

Murray back up.

phelbyn
11-06-2009, 01:42 PM
It's likely to come down to the two who have held it: Federer and Nadal. The other challengers: Del Potro, Djokovic, Murray... who knows how they will fair. 2009 was not great for Djokovic or Murray... they seemed to experience the typical sophomore year where it is quite difficult maintaining your consistency and form and points from the previous year. Del Potro will have the same challenge next year... he's had a rise this year... can he defend it all next year and improve upon it?

Again I think it will come down to how Federer and Nadal perform. They are still the only solid #1's out there for the next year or two. Will Federer handle a full schedule with his new family? Will Nadal's body hold up? Can a young-gun sneak in?

whattheheck
11-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Novak's chances definitely improved after that Basel win.

FairWeatherFan
11-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Federer.

n8
11-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I think Nadal. He just gets too many points from clay and will go well enough on hard and grass to hold off the others.

Clay Death
11-08-2009, 11:01 PM
I think Nadal. He just gets too many points from clay and will go well enough on hard and grass to hold off the others.

at last a reasonable post. he was out of the sport no less than 3 times this year on acccount of injuries. and accordingly, wasnt really worth a shit given his usual standards. he basically fell apart after madrid masters and never really fully recovered for the whole year. he is still lacking sufficient match play and practice. he has lost some of his usual confidence as well.

translation: he has opportunities for tons of points in 2010. he will most likely take roland garros in 2010 and he will have opportunities to pick up a lot of points at queens and wimby.

he will then head to montreal after wimby and once again will have some chances to pocket some points there.

so look for him to make a rather strong comeback in 2010. if he can just stay heallthy and do his usual thing, he should be ranked #1 at the end of the year.

Andi-M
11-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Novak's chances definitely improved after that Basel win.

I wouldnt make a big deal out of it its only an ATP 500 event. And in the form Federer was in Potro, Murray and Nadal would have all beaten him without too many problems.

whattheheck
11-09-2009, 04:27 AM
I wouldnt make a big deal out of it its only an ATP 500 event. And in the form Federer was in Potro, Murray and Nadal would have all beaten him without too many problems.

You're probably right. I guess it comes down to Fed's consistency next year.

Start da Game
11-09-2009, 05:21 AM
rafael.......if he doesn't fuck up his fitness again by playing useless events and doubles........

Geo
11-09-2009, 06:38 AM
i'd like to see del potro step up and play his best throughout all of next year...but we'll see if he's ready to do it consistently on the big stage. hopefully the uso isn't just a 1-off :)

i wouldn't be surprised if federer or nadal is #1 at the end of next year.

djokovic certainly has a shot, but he'll have to do better at the majors and masters again like he did in 2007 and the start of 2008.

and i could picture murray as #1, but he'll most likely be a safina-like #1 with no slam and who crumbles against the best big-match players in the latter rounds of slams :p :o

whattheheck
11-09-2009, 10:56 PM
i'd like to see del potro step up and play his best throughout all of next year...but we'll see if he's ready to do it consistently on the big stage. hopefully the uso isn't just a 1-off :)

i wouldn't be surprised if federer or nadal is #1 at the end of next year.

djokovic certainly has a shot, but he'll have to do better at the majors and masters again like he did in 2007 and the start of 2008.

and i could picture murray as #1, but he'll most likely be a safina-like #1 with no slam and who crumbles against the best big-match players in the latter rounds of slams :p :o

that's rough.:eek:

whattheheck
11-30-2009, 04:09 AM
Anybody feel that Del Potro could end up as No. 1 before the US Open next year after watching him play in the Barclays WTF? Virtually no points to defend at Wimbledon while those at Aussie Open and Roland Garros he could easily defend.

madmax
11-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I think Pony will jump into Nr.2 early next year, overtaking Nadull and Joker in the process - then he will be challenging Fed for Numero Uno spot in a clay season, and he might even succeed there:unsure:

Hellraiser
11-30-2009, 12:31 PM
It will be Djoker year.

Denaon
11-30-2009, 02:25 PM
I think 2010 will be one of the most amusing ones, probably of the last 5 years, in terms of contenders of the #1 spot.
I obviously hope Juan to reach it and end as 1...but I think Djokovic is the best prospect to do it

Everko
11-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Djokovic or Nadal

Commander Data
11-30-2009, 02:37 PM
rf

chipandcharge23
11-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Del Potro or Federer.. I don't think the US Open was a one off for Del Potro and expect him to up his game next year. Federer is still class, so expect these two to be battling for top spot come Us Open time.

whattheheck
12-05-2009, 09:16 PM
2009 season is officially over.

whattheheck
12-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I think 2010 will be one of the most amusing ones, probably of the last 5 years, in terms of contenders of the #1 spot.
I obviously hope Juan to reach it and end as 1...but I think Djokovic is the best prospect to do it

I was thinking the same thing. It's not like having one player dominating the tour, but several people having the potential to be No.1 in the world. If Juan Martin can consistently play well till before the US Open, he can get to the top spot I believe. Novak does have a great prospect though.

Hazem
12-05-2009, 09:25 PM
If it isn't Federer, it will be Djokovic.

Chiakifug
12-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Still Federer but i think Del Potro will be #2.

Corey Feldman
12-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Nadal obviously

he was back to his all time best in D.Cup final i heard

Certinfy
12-05-2009, 09:35 PM
I remember when Roddick was 2nd in this poll, happy days.

whattheheck
12-11-2009, 09:30 AM
I remember when Roddick was 2nd in this poll, happy days.

If Roddick plays like he did at Wimbledon, and he's physically fit, there's no reason why he can't be up there.

Mechlan
12-11-2009, 10:13 AM
One of the top 5. Guessing Federer's level will continue to dip, so Nadal is probably the best bet.

I am curious to see how Del Potro will do with a target on his back next year. Djokovic certainly has the capability to be the best, but I'm not sure how his form will hold up.

whattheheck
12-12-2009, 09:18 AM
I think Del Potro will handle the pressure well enough. He did do well in the World Tour Finals.

Federerhingis
12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
One of the top 5. Guessing Federer's level will continue to dip, so Nadal is probably the best bet.

I am curious to see how Del Potro will do with a target on his back next year. Djokovic certainly has the capability to be the best, but I'm not sure how his form will hold up.

Yeah it's really between Nadal and Murray in my opinion. Actually Novak can never be left out of this conversation, I don't think Delpo is ready yet to end the year as number one, he'l flirt inside the top three for sure for most of 2010 if he keeps his current form. Nonetheless, he'l have his sophmore slump and that alone will disqualify him to end as a number one, he's far from building that consistency of the Novak's, Nadals and Federer's of yet.

Start da Game
12-12-2009, 04:25 PM
forget about no.1, murray will be shot out of the top 4 by delpotro after the australian open next year.......

scarecrows
12-12-2009, 04:53 PM
healthy rafito = sure no.1

other players are just garnish to the ATP tour

GustavoM_Fan
12-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Nalbandian

Cilic #1 in the world :cuckoo: :spit:

whattheheck
12-14-2009, 03:58 AM
forget about no.1, murray will be shot out of the top 4 by delpotro after the australian open next year.......

In that case, Murray has a lot to worry about.

born_on_clay
12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
It all depends on Rafa's health

Allez_Roger!
12-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Rogelio. No worries. :)

He is going to keep putting in insane runs in the Major events. Quote me on that.

whattheheck
12-26-2009, 05:34 AM
It all depends on Rafa's health

True

Straya
12-26-2009, 07:04 AM
A healthy Rafa would be my tip for Number 1 at the end of 2010. Then again with his style of play, anything can happen.

Roddick no.1 would be awesome though :D

Action Jackson
12-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Well done to those 43 people.

Blackbriar
12-19-2010, 08:50 AM
2 people voted for kinder bueno :haha: he is n°13 now!! :haha: