Number of Wild Cards, rules of Special Exemptions [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Number of Wild Cards, rules of Special Exemptions

n8
11-03-2009, 11:43 PM
How is the number of Wild Cards (WCs) per a tournament decided? I see that most 56 draw events had 4 WCs (Rome, Monte Carlo, Montreal, Cincy) but Barcelona had 5. There were two seeded WC in Barcelona: Gonzalez (5) and Safin (11), are additional Wild Cards allowed when given to would-be seeded players? If so, is the last direct acceptance just told he has to play qualifying now?

Also, when a Special Exempt (SE) is granted (for example when Isner reached the semis of Washington he was given an SE into Montreal because he was unable to play qualifying) is the last direct acceptance just taken out of the tournament? This seems a bit rough on the last direct acceptance but I can't see any other way it could be done.

I know there are a lot of questions there so please just answer whatever you can. Thanks lots!

Fee
11-04-2009, 01:22 AM
The ATP Rulebook is posted as a PDF document on their website. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the homepage for the link.

The ITF also posts Rulebooks on their website.

n8
11-04-2009, 02:21 AM
The ATP Rulebook is posted as a PDF document on their website. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the homepage for the link.

The ITF also posts Rulebooks on their website.

Thanks, but the rulebook just says that 'A specified number of wild cards are available in each event'. I wish they would elaborate on this but I can't find where. I had another look to see about SE and it says (if you look closely enough) that SE just replace the last direct acceptance so at least that is cleared up.

Blarghman
11-04-2009, 04:20 AM
Also, when a Special Exempt (SE) is granted (for example when Isner reached the semis of Washington he was given an SE into Montreal because he was unable to play qualifying) is the last direct acceptance just taken out of the tournament? This seems a bit rough on the last direct acceptance but I can't see any other way it could be done.

From the ATP rules - VII.D.4)

4) If the main draw is to be made before a potential special exempt player plays on Friday, then such place(s) shall be drawn in the same manner as qualifier, i.e., four qualifiers ("Q") and one or two "SE" depending on whether there are one or two possibilities. Each of the five or six slots are marked "Q/SE." As soon as the "SE" match results are known, either the "SE" or the next direct acceptance (if the SE lost) is randomly drawn and inserted into the draw.

Edit: Obviously you saw this before I posted :o

Fee
11-04-2009, 04:49 AM
Thanks, but the rulebook just says that 'A specified number of wild cards are available in each event'. I wish they would elaborate on this but I can't find where. I had another look to see about SE and it says (if you look closely enough) that SE just replace the last direct acceptance so at least that is cleared up.

It's specified in other parts of the book. Same with special exempt, its mentioned in more than one place. I used to have all this stuff memorized a few years ago when I was given a copy of the rulebook at a tournament, but I can't be bothered anymore. Special exempts are given to a player who would have made it into qualies but is unable to sign in because he's still playing in another event of equal standing (you can only get SE's for a Masters event if you are currently playing in another Master's event; you can't get an SE for a tour event if you are currently playing a challenger, etc).