US Open Seats [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

US Open Seats

Muir
09-02-2004, 09:37 AM
I heard a rumour that if you have tickets for Arthur Ashe and you slip the attendant who shows you to your seat a few extra dollars he will find you a better seat. Is that true? I went to the US Open in 2001 and the crowds were really poor. The only pre Finals match I struggled to get tickets for was Sampras v Agassi and even then I got tickets on the morning from the kiosks in the grounds. So it sounds possible to me, but I don't want to look an idiot if it's not true. Can anyone advise?

RebelNYC
09-02-2004, 02:05 PM
I think it depends on the usher who seats you.... one time I just was able to
sneak down past them, and it's true, nobody ever came for the seat I was in
so I was able to stay there...but if you slip the usher some bucks, and some
body comes for the seat, you're out the bucks and the seat...I think it's a
shame that the sponsors have all the great seats and they don't even care,
the seats remain empty...

Socket
09-02-2004, 02:37 PM
I think it depends on the usher who seats you.... one time I just was able to
sneak down past them, and it's true, nobody ever came for the seat I was in
so I was able to stay there...but if you slip the usher some bucks, and some
body comes for the seat, you're out the bucks and the seat...I think it's a
shame that the sponsors have all the great seats and they don't even care,
the seats remain empty...

Yes, you can give the ushers a "tip" and they won't throw you out of the better seats. They usually know which ones aren't going to be used that day. Your best bet is to ask one of the ushers something like "any chance you can get us better seats today" with some folded money in your hand. The last time I tried this, the going rate was something like $10 per person for the early rounds. That was before Ashe was built, though, so it may be more now. If it's really empty that day, I'd just try sneaking past the ushers, although it's much harder to do now with the increased security.

You probably need somebody with at least an American accent, and preferably a New York accent, to do this. A non-American accent will make you an "easy mark." ;) ;)