Matthew Ebden [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Matthew Ebden

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

scotthongkong
10-25-2009, 04:57 AM
Great to see an Aussie victory last week when Matthew stopped the run of Jamie Baker. Athletic, fit and extremely personable I hope to see more great tennis from matthew heading into the Summer months

ozfan44
12-04-2009, 05:50 AM
and another title in esperance and runner up in kalgoorlie, heres hoping he can keep going this week in Bendigo and keep pushing back up the rankings!!

jmf07
12-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Wins Bendigo this week. Finishing the year well after dropping in the rankings this year.

Audacity
01-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Not much support for Matty, but he has made it to the main draw of Brisbane after beating Matosevic 6-2 6-2. That makes 6 Aussies in the main draw now.

jmf07
01-04-2010, 04:08 AM
Also put himself well ahead of Klein, Matosevic and Groth for that last AO maindraw wildcard.

Audacity
01-04-2010, 04:14 AM
Also put himself well ahead of Klein, Matosevic and Groth for that last AO maindraw wildcard.

He is more deserving than any of those guys, hope he gets it.

ozfan44
01-04-2010, 09:57 AM
He is more deserving than any of those guys, hope he gets it.

Will be out of him and Millman for the final spot!!

Come on Matty....Melzer will be tough in the main draw but give it your best and grind him down!!

jmf07
01-05-2010, 04:49 AM
Wow wins the first set 7-5

jmf07
01-05-2010, 04:54 AM
And breaks early in the second

jmf07
01-05-2010, 05:01 AM
And another break to lead 4-0. Awesome stuff from Matty

jmf07
01-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Wins it. The world number 285 defeats the world number 28, 7-5 6-1. Very good win to go with Ball's win by the same scoreline. I haven't heard anything about Melzer's odds drifiting so it seems as though Ebden has simply beaten him fair and square. Well done Matty and could well have clinched that last wildcard on offer for the Aus Open although the youth policy might still have a say about that.

save ausdecline
01-05-2010, 05:16 AM
wow. great stuff from ebden

Thanos
01-05-2010, 05:19 AM
Not much support for Matty, but he has made it to the main draw of Brisbane after beating Matosevic 6-2 6-2. That makes 6 Aussies in the main draw now.

that has changed now. excellent win against melzer. i thought perhaps millman was favourite to get the last wildcard but this win has increased ebden chances.

ozfan44
01-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah matty knew you had the potential to win this.....good luck against Gasquet tomorrow....hope they put it on centre court!!

Audacity
01-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Matt's a hard worker so it's good to see him get this win. Gasquet will be tough, but I'm sure he can push him.

jmf07
01-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Nice effort against Gasquet. Was only broken once in the first set and then got broken at the beginning of the second and broke straight back and kept it on serve till he got broken at 4-4 after threatening Gasquet on his serve beforehand. Considering what a super talent Gasquet is Ebden should be happy and certainly did his Australian Open Wildcard hopes no harm.

Matchu
01-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Yeah was a good effort in Brisbane but it I am very interested to see how Matt goes in Sydney qualies. If Matt can qualify for Sydney as well that would be extremely impressive. He is going to have to get that wildcard into the aussie open to do that though because he cannot afford to skip AO qualies.

Good luck in Sydney Matt I'll be cheering for you.

Matchu
01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Although Matt is already at a career high ranking he is going to move inside the top 250 after this week so thats great for him. I'd really like to see Matt solidify a place in the top 220 becuase I think he is playing well enough at the moment to build towards big results on the challenger tour.

I see him as being in a similar position to Marinko Matosevic now as he was last year when he built off the strong futures results and is now basically a main stay on the challenger tour. Lets hope Matt can have a good 2010 and a top 150 place isnt that far away!

Tenys4r
01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I see him as being in a similar position to Marinko Matosevic now as he was last year when he built off the strong futures results and is now basically a main stay on the challenger tour. Lets hope Matt can have a good 2010 and a top 150 place isnt that far away!
"Totally agree Matchu - great to see players like Marinko and Ebden proving that they are not too ""old"" as perceived by TA.

Matchu
01-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Nice to see TA finally give Matt a wildcard into something. He plays Reister in Sydney qualies tommorow which could be difficult.

jmf07
01-08-2010, 11:45 PM
He should win this if he carries his form over from Brisbane

Tenys4r
01-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Am a bit surprisd at this loss. Shame. Reister was beaten last week by Reid 76 61 75 in Brisbane.

jmf07
01-09-2010, 01:09 PM
A bit of a shame. Looked good after the first set as well. At least it will allow him to get in some good practice on the Aus Open courts.

Tenys4r
01-09-2010, 01:22 PM
He has played a lot of tennis and has had some great results over the last few months - he might just need to regroup now and get himself ready for Aus Open. Good luck to him. A couple of good wins here thouigh might have secured that last wildcard in Aus Open - still surely he has a good chance...

n8
01-13-2010, 02:47 AM
Ebden d. Carlos Poch-Gradin (ESP) 6-2 6-1. Another Spaniard next, Adrian Menendez-Maceiras who defeated Colin Ebelthite 6-0 6-4.

jmf07
01-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Won a close three setter. Now plays the talented but injury prone Przysiezny in what will be a tough match.

n8
01-16-2010, 01:05 AM
Ebden qualifies!! Ebden d. Michal Przysiezny 7-5 6-2
Possible 1st round matches:
Hewitt
C. Rochus
Sela
Ram
Ferrero
Moya
Davydenko
Almagro
Becker
Grosjean
Tomic
Murray
Lu
Koellerer
Monfils
Benneteau

Most qualifiers will get a pretty kind draw with the likes of Ram, Lu, Grosjean and Rochus all drawn against qualifiers. I hope he doesn't get Davydenko, Murray or Monfils.

Sirianni up next.

jmf07
01-16-2010, 01:21 AM
:worship:. Great effort Matt against a very good opponent. Hopefully he can avoid the big names because he's capable of beating a fair few players on that list.

Matchu
01-16-2010, 03:12 AM
It's all come very quickly for Matt he gets his first ATP win this year and is going to play in his first Grand Slam main draw. In October last year Matt was ranked 453 and as it stands at the end of the Australian Open he will move to about 215 in the world and if he can win his first round at the Aussie Open he will move to about 187 in the world which would basically spell the end of future tournaments for him and see him play exclusively on the challenger tour which I think he belongs there given recent form.

Come on matty we need another aussie player playing challengers every week.

Huntress555
01-16-2010, 03:55 AM
Thats a great effort. Hopefully he gets one of the kinder draws :D

scotthongkong
01-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Wonderful work from a fantastic bloke. Shitty draw but a good chance to impress.

Hewitt =Legend
03-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Just beat 6th seed Stadler in Kyoto 1st round 6-4 4-6 6-4. Excellent win for Matt outside Oz.

jmf07
03-10-2010, 01:36 PM
That's a great win. Hopefully he can become at least a solid top 200 player this year.

Matchu
03-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Matt got up against Millman in Kyoto today 7-6 6-3. He is going to play another Aussie in the semis, Rameez Junaid. Huge chance for Matt to make his first ever challenger final. If he was to lose to Junaid in the semis Matt will still jump into the top 200.

If he was able to win this Kyoto challenger it would be a massive spring board to the year, and I think he would almost certainly be ranked inside the top 150 by Wimbledon time.

Action Jackson
03-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Rankings man at it again. Good win for Ebden.

Matchu
03-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Matt beat Junaid in straight sets in the semis, just one more match Matty and the Kyoto title is yours come on!

Audacity
03-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Great chance for him to win his first challenger final against the unseeded Yuichi Sugita. Good luck.

Audacity
03-15-2010, 03:56 AM
Matt lost 4-6 6-4 6-1. Unfortunate he couldn't capitalise on his 1-0 set lead. Good week though.

ozfan44
03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Sad he didnt close it out but another solid week for Matt, couple more results like this would be good for the ranking and confidence levels, hopefully he can get right up there and step into some ATP events come the Grass and US Hardcourt season...

Ad Wim
04-09-2010, 10:29 AM
He didn't play after Kyoto and he pulled out of the two last challengers. Is he injured?

Matchu
04-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Playing one week in South America is pretty useless. As far as I know he is still going to play in the challenger in Jo'burg next week and the weeks after will be play challengers in Europe leading up to the French.

I hope he can get top 150 by the end of Wimbledon because he has practically nothing to defend until September.

jmf07
04-10-2010, 02:59 AM
Ebden's not playing Johannesburg

jmf07
04-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Article from two weeks ago.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/west-australian-rocket-man-matt-ebden-taking-off-in-tennis-world/story-e6frg1wu-1225846411503

West Australian rocket-man Matt Ebden taking off in tennis world By GLEN FOREMAN From: The Sunday Times March 27, 2010 8:48PM Increase Text SizeDecrease Text SizePrintEmail Share
Add to DiggAdd to del.icio.usAdd to FacebookAdd to KwoffAdd to MyspaceAdd to NewsvineWhat are these? ROCKET MAN: West Australian Matthew Ebden is continuing his rise up the world tennis ranks. Picture: Paul Crock/AFP Source: PerthNow
WA tennis revelation Matthew Ebden inhaled the helium-like properties of his Australian Open grand slam debut in January and continued rising, rocketing up the world rankings to sit as the nation's fourth-best player.

The rise comes after Ebden received his maiden Davis Cup call-up late last month when he was named as reserve for Australia's winning tie against Chinese Taipei.

He trained alongside team-mates Bernard Tomic, Peter Luczak, Carsten Ball and Paul Hanley at Melbourne Park before heading to Japan, where he put his new-found experience into practice to reach his first Challenger-level final a few weeks later.

The effort, coupled with other strong results, lifted the right-hander 51 positions up the world rankings in the past month and followed his Australian Open main draw debut against Gael Monfils.

Ebden was far from a walkover against the then-world No.12 Monfils, forcing the Frenchman to play out a gutsy 6-4 6-4 match.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related CoverageMore tennis: All the action from the court Space needed: French Open could leave Roland Tomic cleared for cup debut
Herald Sun, 23 Feb 2010Tomic takes challenger title
Fox Sports, 7 Feb 2010Tomic has rivals looking over their shoulders
The Australian, 19 Jan 2010Federer survives first round scare
Daily Telegraph, 19 Jan 2010Dellacqua erases painful memories
The Australian, 19 Jan 2010.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
But despite a successful 2010 that has included a straight-sets dumping of top 30 Austrian Jurgen Melzer, Ebden remained grounded.

"Top four is great, but I'm only 180-something in the world," No.185 Ebden said.

"Heading into the top 100, top 50 in the world would be better and that's really where you want to get to.

"Ask me (how I feel) then."

The ranking is nothing to shy away from and allows Ebden direct entry into the grand slam qualifiers.

But that's not enough for the overachiever who recorded a TER of 98.50.

Ebden wants more and he's preparing to get it by heading off-shore for a rigorous French Open leadup which includes tournaments in South Africa, Greece and France.

"I've had rankings goals each year and I've been able to reach them," Ebden said. "My goal last year was to be ranked high enough to get entry into all the slam quallies.

"Now, with my ranking high enough, three or four good results from here and I could be top 100.

"But a big goal, and one I'm aiming for, is to get direct entry into the US Open main draw."

n8
04-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Gees, 98.5 TER, nice... Ebden's goal of getting direct entry into the US Open draw may seem lofty, but he's only got 25 points to defend between now and the middle of October so he's a great chance. He's already done well this year and let's hope he can continue to build on his excellent Australian summer (3 Futures titles from 6 semis and R16 from qualifying in Brisbane).

Ad Wim
04-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Ebden's not playing Johannesburg

Therefore my question. I guess he's injured.

jmf07
04-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Therefore my question. I guess he's injured.

Sorry. Yeah that would be my guess as well. There was a period of time last year where he lost interest in the game and took a break but with his recent results I highly doubt it and the obvious guess would be injury.

Sam Maxwell
04-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Sorry. Yeah that would be my guess as well. There was a period of time last year where he lost interest in the game and took a break but with his recent results I highly doubt it and the obvious guess would be injury.

You are correct, Matt is injured at the moment and is still in Australia

http://sammaxwell.com.au/matthew-ebden.html

Ad Wim
04-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Hmm, then I guess he won't be playing Rome next week :sad:

Why does he chose for clay BTW, anyone knows? His recent success came from HC, why does he chose for Rome at not for Athens or the US?

Matchu
04-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Hmm, then I guess he won't be playing Rome next week :sad:

Why does he chose for clay BTW, anyone knows? His recent success came from HC, why does he chose for Rome at not for Athens or the US?

I think it would have something to do with the French Open wildcard, probably thought he was in with a good shot and wanted to his worth on clay.

Ad Wim
04-15-2010, 11:59 PM
And yes, he pulled out of Rome.

Ad Wim
04-22-2010, 10:19 PM
And also out of next week's Ostrava :sad:

jmf07
04-28-2010, 03:44 AM
He will be the Davis Cup hitting partner for Australia again next week. Hopefully that means a tour return isn't too far away.

jmf07
05-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Matt is third up on court 4 tonight against Minar who is coming off a Cairo Challenger victory. Hopefully Matt can put in a respectable performance. Any idea on what we can expect from him?

jmf07
05-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Matt is heading towards pulling off a major upset in the first round at Zagreb. Minar cruised through the first set 6-1 before Matt hit back and won the second set in the tiebreaker and is now leading 2-0 in the deciding set.

jmf07
05-11-2010, 03:13 PM
:worship::worship::worship:. Great effort Matt. Pulled off a huge upset. Will be good to see how he goes against Kavcic who hasn't been in great form.

jmf07
05-12-2010, 04:50 AM
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/perthnow-columnist-and-grand-slam-contender-matt-ebden-looks-ahead-to-french-open-after-davis-cup-win/story-e6frg1wu-1225865093509

PerthNow columnist and grand slam contender Matt Ebden looks ahead to French Open after Davis Cup win

THE end of one chapter marks the beginning of another in the tennis world and my latest one opened with 24-hours of flying from Brisbane, to Perth, to Singapore, to Frankfurt and, finally, to the Croatian capital of Zagreb, where I write this column.

After a strong performance in Brisbane over the weekend, Australia whitewashed its Davis Cup tie against Japan 5-0.

The bigger picture is that we are now only one tie away from regaining a place in the Davis Cup World Group for next year, which consists of the top 16 tennis playing nations.

West Australian grand slam contender Matt Ebden joined the PerthNow and The Sunday Times column team last week. To read his opening column, 'World on the line for Aussies', click here.

Australia will play-off in September against a World Group country facing relegation after.

As we are a challenging nation we will, more than likely, play an away tie - unless we pick up a seeding if the individual rankings of players in our team are high enough.

Possible nations we may have to compete against if we do not receive a seeding are USA, Germany or Sweden.

If we are to get a seeding, we could have a home tie against countries such as Belgium, Italy, South Africa or Brazil.

In the past two play-off ties we haven’t had much luck having to play Chile in Chile and Serbia in Serbia, both on clay and against some of the toughest clay court opponents in some of the most hostile venues in the world.

But that bridge will be crossed in September. For now, the French Open looms.

After the Davis Cup, I took a 5hr flight from Brisbane back to Perth before flying a 5hr flight to Singapore the following day with a connecting 12hr flight to Frankfurt and finally a 1hr30min flight to Zagreb, Croatia, where I will compete in the Zagreb Open on clay leading into the Paris slam next week.

The rest of the team will take similar journeys with Lleyton (Hewitt) and Handles (Paul Hanley) returning to Europe for the Madrid Masters, Looch (Peter Luczak) also returning to Europe for a lead-in tournament and Carsten (Ball) flying back through the US, also to play a lead-in tournament on clay.

We will then all converge on Paris for the French Open at Roland Garros from May 23-June 6.

This year could mark a turning point for Australian tennis on dirt after hosting our first Davis Cup tie on clay in seven years.

It was a strong week and we can now take to the European courts with more experience and confidence behind us.

Audacity
05-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Nice win Matty! Hopefully he can play just as well against Kavcic.

Audacity
05-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the article. Ebden is a man with a really good head on him, I think he can push up the rankings if he can stay injury free. I just hope he keeps focused and plays well.

jmf07
05-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Kavcic defeated Matt 63 62. Matt is still getting some valuable match practice on clay in the doubles where he has teamed up with Andre Begemann to reach the semis defeating the second seeds in the process.

jmf07
05-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Matt drew Kazakhstani/Russian Yuri Schukin. Schukin is coming off a tournament win in Zagreb and should beat Matt unfortunately on clay. One thing in Matt's favour is that Yuri's match didn't finish until yesterday and has to make the trip from Zagreb to Paris. Even if Matt were to spring a surprise and beat Schukin he would have to take on Joao Souza who made the semis of Santiago earlier on in the year and he wouldn't have much of a chance against the top half of his section against the likes of Gil, Haider-Maurer, Hrbaty and Klizan.

Hopefully Matt can put in a good performance but we shouldn't expect too much here.

ozfan44
05-18-2010, 06:36 AM
Matt drew Kazakhstani/Russian Yuri Schukin. Schukin is coming off a tournament win in Zagreb and should beat Matt unfortunately on clay. One thing in Matt's favour is that Yuri's match didn't finish until yesterday and has to make the trip from Zagreb to Paris. Even if Matt were to spring a surprise and beat Schukin he would have to take on Joao Souza who made the semis of Santiago earlier on in the year and he wouldn't have much of a chance against the top half of his section against the likes of Gil, Haider-Maurer, Hrbaty and Klizan.

Hopefully Matt can put in a good performance but we shouldn't expect too much here.

Pretty crap draw for matt much like Marinko, dangerous players all around him. Hopefully he can cause an upset against Schukin as the confidence would be a big bonus but with Yuri's recent form i don't see that happening at all!!

jmf07
06-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Matt has a surprise 75 76 victory over Arnaud Clement. Next up will be German Simon Stadler.

Audacity
06-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Nice win Matt!

Audacity
06-05-2010, 03:24 AM
Matt was beaten by Stadler.

RustyOz
06-15-2010, 03:44 AM
Matt a set up in Wimbledon qualies 1st rnd when rain stopped play. Bring it home Matt

jmf07
06-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Matt closed it out to record a 6-4 6-4 win. Now plays Guez which is a match Matt should probably win.

Audacity
06-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Matty got up 4-6 6-4 6-3. He now plays the number 1 seed Taylor Dent in the qualifying round. Unlucky match-up. Good luck though.

jmf07
06-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Matt lost 4-6 7-6(1) 7-6(8) 6-3. Had an opportunity on serve to go up two sets in the second. Hopefully he will get a lucky loser spot.

scotthongkong
07-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Matt lost in three sets in the first round of the LA qualies to Balleret. Close match so hopefully Matt will pull out some wins leading into the US

scotthongkong
08-01-2010, 11:23 AM
1st round Match up in Vancouver..........Matt versus Matosevic. Will be interesting to see the result of this one. Great opportunity for Matt if he gets through this. There will definitely be some Aussie rivalry on that court.

jmf07
08-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Matt got a 76 64 win over Alex Kuznetsov in the first round of the 50k Binghamton Challenger. Next up will either be Soeda or Deheart.

scotthongkong
08-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Good to see Matt coming out on top there and hopefully he will progress further.

Ad Wim
08-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Finally a win again, and a pretty good one too. Hope he does well against Soeda, but it's not a good draw.

scotthongkong
08-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Matt has a good chance for a win over Soeda

RustyOz
08-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Was expecting better from matt against Soeda, thought he would out last him if it went to three sets, but not to be, Matt going down to Soeda. Matt picked to represent Australia at the Commonwealth games. Go Matty

scotthongkong
08-13-2010, 10:28 AM
That is great for Matt to represent us in the Commonwealth Games. Who else in the team? I have tried to google it and I cant find it.....any help appreciated.

jmf07
08-13-2010, 04:06 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/stosur-to-skip-cwealth-games-20100723-10oom.html

Samantha Stosur has joined fellow Australian tennis ace Lleyton Hewitt in opting out of this year's Commonwealth Games in India.

Stosur would have been top seed and gold medal favourite for the women's singles in Delhi but, as expected, the world No.5 will skip the Games to focus on the bigger season-ending events on the main tour.

Tennis is making its Commonwealth Games debut in Delhi because of the sport's popularity in India.

Sania Mirza is a sporting superstar in her homeland, while grand slam doubles champions Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes further boost India's medal chances.

However, the draws for both the men's and women's singles will be farcically weak.

The Games clash with the prestigious China Open and conclude the day before Stosur is due to defend her title in Osaka from October 11.

With more match wins on tour than any other woman in the world this year, Stosur is also in line to qualify for the season-ending championships in Bali.

Failure to compete in Beijing and Osaka would place Stosur's position in jeopardy.

Hewitt, who led the Australian Davis Cup team's boycott of India last year due to security concerns, has also decided not to nominate for the Commonwealth Games.

Fortunately for him but embarrassingly for tennis, Australia's world No.81 Peter Luczak is likely to be the men's top seed.

Scotland's world No.4 Andy Murray and the 25th-ranked Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus are the only two players - other than Hewitt - above Luczak in the Commonwealth standings.

All indications, though, have been that Murray and Baghdatis will also decide against contesting the Games.

With most of the world's leading players absent, the Australian contingent will fancy their chances of winning medals in Delhi.

Canada's world No.50 Aleksandra Wozniak and Britain's world No.57 Elena Baltacha are the only women's players ranked higher than Australian singles hopefuls Jarmila Groth, Athens Olympic bronze medallist Alicia Molik, Anastasia Rodionova and Sophie Ferguson.

Aside from Luczak, Marinko Matosevic, Chris Guccione, Matthew Ebden, Brydan Klein, Sam Groth and Paul Hanley have nominated for the men's singles or doubles.

RustyOz
08-15-2010, 11:53 PM
That is great for Matt to represent us in the Commonwealth Games. Who else in the team? I have tried to google it and I cant find it.....any help appreciated.
Not officially published yet but the word is that Luzcak, Hanley, Ebden and (I think) Jonesie have been been selected to represent Oz at the Commonwealth games. Not sure of Marinko and think Ball did not nominate.

Updated information is that the men's team is Looch, Ebden, Hanley and Jones.
Ladies team is Rodionova, Moore, Peers and Rogowska.

scotthongkong
08-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Marinko did nomimate.

Matchu
08-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Matt playing at the Commonwealth Games should be a good confidence booster for him, I think he can go deep in the tournament. As for this week Matt is playing in a challenger in Brazil where he is the 8th seed among a fairly weak field (one top 100 player). Hopefully Matt can pick up some points here before heading back to NY for US Open qualies.

I wish Matt would play more often, if he is to stay inside the top 200 he needs to gain around 80 points between now and the end of the year which I think is doable. Good luck in Brazil this week Matt.

Matchu
08-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Matt picked up a first round victory in Brazil with a 6-4 6-4 win over Toshihide Matsui. He next faces Columbian Robert Farah in the secound round who is apparently a very good player. The seed in Matt's quarter got knocked out first round so perhaps Matt will make semis here. Would be nice to see Matt make a run here and warm up for US open qualies.

Matchu
08-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Matt got up in the second round 6-2 6-2 which is fairly impressive considering the hype around his opponent. A quarterfinal appearance for Ebden, it has been a while. Hopefully Matt picks up some more wins here and carries it on over into the US open next week. A good performance here could set him up for a high seeding at the Commonwealth games as well so hopefully he does well.

jmf07
08-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Ebden defeated Zampieri in the Quarters 62 62. Good week for him so far made even better by reaching the semis of the doubles as well with Brendan Evans.

Ad Wim
08-20-2010, 09:21 AM
He's back on winning terms!

Matchu
08-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Nice to see Matt make a challenger semi after a long drought of good results. Ricardo Mello up next will be very tough. If Matt loses in the semis he will move to 165, if he loses the final he will move to 158 and if he wins the tournament he will move to 148 (just ahead of Carsten Ball).

I think if Matt was smart he would enter a couple more of these weaker challengers during the year, yes he has to travel but it is definitely worth the amount of points he gains from them. Hopefully Matt plays some Asian hardcourt challengers towards the end of the year and gets that ranking even higher.

jmf07
08-21-2010, 03:48 AM
Matt lost the semi 62 67 26.

jmf07
08-24-2010, 02:30 AM
Matt is playing Mahut in the US Open Qualies first round.

scotthongkong
08-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Good luck Matty. Aussie number 4 now and getting closer all the time. Good luck!

Audacity
08-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Mahut will be tough in this sort of match. All the best Matt.

RustyOz
08-27-2010, 02:21 AM
Bad luck for Matt - went down to Mahut in straight sets.

jmf07
09-13-2010, 03:03 AM
Matt is playing a 35k challenger in Bangkok this week. Plays Nielsen in the first round. Good luck Matt.

Audacity
09-14-2010, 02:43 PM
All the best for this week Matt.

Toppu
09-14-2010, 02:59 PM
He lost .. in 3 sets

ozfan44
09-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Got a win in the first round this week but then was soundly beaten by Dimitrov in the second :sad:

Audacity
09-23-2010, 11:42 AM
He's been a bit unlucky lately. Dimitrov seems to have picked up his game in recent months so it's not such a bad loss.

RustyOz
09-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Another great article posted by TA, on the Commonwealth Games. Only four players representing Australia? No mention of the other members of the team, Ebden, Jonesie and Jess Moore? No mention of the decisions facing the players going to India either - diseases, terrorist attack threats, unhealthy living conditions - it's all a breeze...
Very poor article

jmf07
09-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Matt lost in the first round of Bangkok Qualies to Alex Bogomolov Jr 26 64 16.

Also has a twitter feed now - http://twitter.com/mattebden

jmf07
10-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Commonwealth Games.

EBDEN Matt (3) AUSvs OGIER Patrick Dunstan GGY
MUGABE Duncan Kasumba UGA vs QURESHI Aisam-Ul-Haq PAK
DINESHKANTHAN Thangarajah SRI vs ROLLE Marvin BAH
RICHELIEU Alberton LCA vs GOODALL Joshua Jake (7) ENG

As long as he doesn't die before his first round match he will progress even if he is suffering from a bad case of Dengue fever and gets bitten by a snake. Qureshi won't be so easy and could be tough to beat but the lower half of his quarter is pretty weak with an out of sorts Goodall being the seed.

In the doubles he is teaming up with Greg Jones and in the mixed he is playing with Sally Peers.

RustyOz
10-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Go the Aussie team

RustyOz
10-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Picture of Matt and Jonesie at the Commonwealth Games, Matt serving. Cruised to a win over the Ugandan pairing 61 62.

Well I have a picture but don't know how to load it. Help any-one.

Matt also had a win in the singles, also a cruise, although the score suggests closer, against Patrick Ogier from Guernsey.

jmf07
10-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah Matt wasn't overly impressive in his singles match but he didn't need to be in order to beat Ogier. He will need to be playing better in the next round against Aisam Ul Haq Qureshi who made the finals of the doubles at the US Open recently and can also be a handy singles player.

jmf07
10-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Picture of Matt and Jonesie at the Commonwealth Games, Matt serving. Cruised to a win over the Ugandan pairing 61 62.

Well I have a picture but don't know how to load it. Help any-one.

Click on Go advanced and then insert image and enter the address like it says but for some reason I always have troubles using this as well. You could post it as an attachment by clicking on manage attachments in additional options and uploading an image from your own computer but the only problem is that I think people can only view the picture if they are signed in. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge knows more.

RustyOz
10-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks JMF07 for the info to post picture but could not get it to work as the picture is too big

jmf07
10-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Matt defeated Qureshi 64 75. Well done Matt. Will play Goodall for a place in the semis and the opportunity to play for a medal.

Davodus
10-07-2010, 10:56 AM
First time I've posted in this thread :shrug: but thought I'd say he won 7-6 in the third set against Goodall. He played a great third set breaker, and he was the fitter of the two which seemed to help in the heat.

RustyOz
10-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Matt & Jonesie went down in a close fought match 67(5) 46 to Bopanna and Devvarman. Matt looked a little jaded at times, no doubt due to his 3 setter against Goodall. Got his 2nd breath when 2-0, and helped by some good positive play from Jonesie, they broke back and got to 4-4, but at 5-4 the strain showed and the Indians brought up break point and closed it out. Good luck to Matt in the semis.

jmf07
10-09-2010, 05:25 AM
Matt lost to Devvarman 63 61. Will play Luczak for the bronze medal. Based on what has been displayed this week I think Luczak will have his measure although Luczak having to play the doubles final the day before might work to his advantage if Pete wins the doubles.

First time I've posted in this thread :shrug:
:wavey: welcome

jmf07
10-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Matt ended up winning the bronze medal match 63 63. Pete had already got the gold medal the night before so it means each player in the mens team walks away with a medal. Hopefully the experience of representing his country will serve him well.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0174eRlfl17Cd/x350.jpg

Matt plans to spend the next month and a half in Europe beofre the Australian summer. First up for Matt is the 64k Indoor Hard Challenger in the French town of Rennes.

[6] David GUEZ (FRA) vs Denis GREMELMAYR (GER)
Vincent MILLOT (FRA) vs Matthew EBDEN (AUS)
[WC] Kristof VLIEGEN (BEL) vs Igor SIJSLING (NED)
Marc GICQUEL (FRA) vs [3] Stephane ROBERT (FRA)

Millot is an opponent Matt can definitely beat. Good luck Matt.

Ad Wim
10-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Don't expect too much of Rennes, he must be jetlagged.

Matchu
10-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Ebden d Millot 6-2 6-2. Looks like the jet lag didn't affect him to much. Next up for Matt is David Guez which will definitely be a test. Unfortunately Matt needs a deep run some time with in the next three weeks because of results this time last year otherwise he may struggle to get main draw acceptances into Euro challengers. Matt is a trooper though I expect him to do enough in these coming weeks. I think if I have read correctly he will be playing a few ATP qualies in the coming weeks which should be interesting.

jmf07
10-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Very impressive result for Matt. Last time he played Guez he beat him in three sets at Wimbledon this year. Good luck Matt.

djokovic
10-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Week 42, Orleans, France (not in main draw list now, but think will get in after some people out)
Week 43, off or Q in Montpellier?
Week 44, Eckental, Germany
Week 45, Aachen, Germany
Week 46, Slovakia or Austria?
Week 47, Finland?

I think it is better for him to play more challenger to get more point before end of this season to keep staying in top 200 at least, he has 25+25+25+14=89 points to defend which he gained from Future, end of last year. To play Q in ATP, he needs to beat at least one top100 to gain points, and if he with good luck, will play a top 50 in R1, it is really hard. But to play in challenger, anybody can win for those people who rank 101-200. When he returns to Australia for early next season, I believe he will receive some WC, after he get enough points to stay in top100, he can start playing ATP Q. He was just a bit bad luck in the last few months.

Matchu
10-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Ebden def. Guez 6-2 6-2. Very impressive to back up like this after still being in India on Sunday. Matt also really needed a run like this in a big tournament. Next up for Matt is Marc Gicquel which could be a test depending on which Gicquel shows up tomorrow. Another win assures Matt some breathing room for about a month and also means he will gain special entry into next weeks challenger in France as well.

To the post above me yes it certainly seems that will be Matt's schedule with perhaps the week 47 challenger being changed from Finland to the one in Japan as Matt makes his way back to Australia for the wc playoffs. I'm sure Matt's next goal is to actually get a challenger win somewhere because it seems to be the only thing he is lacking at the moment. Having said that a very impressive week and if he were to lose 0-6 0-6 tomorrow then a lot people would still be very impressed with his efforts this week. Come on Matt, just one more against Gicquel.

jmf07
10-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Good stuff Matt. Gicquel has been playing very well and will be a very tough match for Matt.

djokovic
10-15-2010, 02:14 AM
If Matthew can beat Gicquel tonight, he could win the title here, big chance. Not sure if next week Orleans has SE or not, otherwise he needs to play Q tomorrow. Keep playing like this, get close to top100 end of this season.

jmf07
10-15-2010, 03:05 AM
Matt will get a SE if he beats Gicquel. Bautista-Agut is the only player who I think would get one before Ebden but Ebden will receive the second one I think assuming that it is based on the highest ranked semi finalists to miss out on the MD.

Ad Wim
10-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Great win, hope he beats Gicquel.

Somehow I have the feeling that he didn't play weeks in a row this year. Little injuries, time off, commonwealth games. He has just played 7 tournaments since Wimbledon, that seems a bit low.

Daniel.
10-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Gicquel won 6/3 6/1

jmf07
10-16-2010, 01:12 AM
The news doesn't get any better for Matt with him missing the Orleans MD by two places. Not in any qualifying draws either.

ozfan44
10-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Bugger that he isnt in that draw after a decent showing last week!!

Matt has had some small but annoying injuries this year hopefully he can crank it up and end the year on a high!!

Timbo
10-19-2010, 10:06 AM
He's top seed at the futures event in Glasgow as a wild card. Smart move as he should win it and keep on a roll indoors.

Matchu
10-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Matt's run in the Great Britain future:

32 W George MORGAN (GBR) 6-3 6-1
16 W Daniel COX (GBR) 6-3 6-3
QF W Miloslav MECIR (SVK) 6-3 6-3
SF W Matwe MIDDELKOOP (NED) 6-4 6-3
F Daniel Evans (GBR) -

He is going to face Dan Evans in the final which I would suspect Matt to win quite easily. The great thing about this result is this time last week Matt had just won a future here in Australia so this decision to play in Great Britain is very smart. Hopefully Matt can carry this form over to the German challengers starting the week after next. Matt should be pretty tough to beat in the wildcard playoffs if he can stay in the sort of form he is in now, come on Matty take your first title for the year here.

scotthongkong
10-23-2010, 01:54 AM
I agree with Matchu's comments. smart move from a very smart player. Win the thing Matt.

jmf07
10-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Matt is a class above the players in Glasgow so no surprises to see him in the final. He was lucky to receive a WC to this event and a few of the Brits are upset with the decision.

Matchu
10-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Well Matt wins the final 6-2 3-6 6-3. Probably not as easy as it should have been but a win is a win. I just hope he carries this form over to the challengers in Germany and has a some decent results. Two futures titles and a runner up coming up at the end of November so Matt will have to perform soon to keep up with them. After seeing what he has done this week I'm pretty confident Matt will get the desired results he needs before years end.

jmf07
10-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Matt could have very easily have lost this one. He went down a break at the start of the third set only to break back immediately and then could have very easily have gone done another break but managed to hold and then broke Evans' serve again and the rest of the set went to the server.

Matt won't get much of a rest now as he is entered for the Qualies in the 15k future in Cardiff.

Matchu
10-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Matt could have very easily have lost this one. He went down a break at the start of the third set only to break back immediately and then could have very easily have gone done another break but managed to hold and then broke Evans' serve again and the rest of the set went to the server.

Matt won't get much of a rest now as he is entered for the Qualies in the 15k future in Cardiff.

Oh interesting, I didn't realise it was so close. Matt's quarter for qualies in this future in Cardiff has no players that even have a ranking, on top of that he has a first round bye in the qualies. So two reasonably easy qualifying matches for Matt and he will then be seeded number 1 for the main draw. The draw for this one seems a tiny bit harder than the one last week but I would still think Matt will go deep and most likely win it as well if exhaustion isn't an issue.

Back to back 15k future wins will help Matt a lot and build some confidence so I hope he does well this coming week as well.

Ad Wim
10-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Nice that he won the future, but playing qualis for it is a bit too much I think. Why doesn't he take the rest this week? Or have played qualis for one of the atp tournaments this week...

Ad Wim
11-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Damn, he was leading 5-2 in the first set against Brown...

djokovic
11-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Really bad luck, otherwise he could go very deep. Hope to win title next week, not strong entry list now.

djokovic
11-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Tough win, but a good start, make sure SF and try to win the title. Good luck.

jmf07
11-10-2010, 02:45 AM
Dangerous match for Matt

jmf07
11-12-2010, 04:47 AM
Matt got though 67 75 63. QF opponent will be Matthias Bachinger.

jmf07
11-13-2010, 01:46 AM
Got hammered with a 60 61 loss. He was entered for Salzburg challenger next week but withdrew. After that he is entered for the Toyota Challenger in Japan. Hopefully he can put in a good performance in Toyota.

djokovic
11-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Anyone know what happened?

jmf07
11-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Probably just got outplayed. If he was injured or sick I don't think he would have hung around too long into that second set. I don't know why he wanted to withdraw from Salzburg but perhaps he wants to give himself the week off and get ready for the Toyota Challenger or the Wildcard playoff if he skips Toyota.

djokovic
11-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Matt will not play in Japan, his ranking will drop to about 200 end of this year.

jmf07
12-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Matt defeated Ben Mitchell 76 76. He is battling a hand injury though.

Audacity
12-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Good he got through atleast.

jmf07
12-16-2010, 03:26 AM
Matt defeated Groth 26 64 62. Now plays Luczak in the semis.

djokovic
12-16-2010, 05:21 AM
Pls win this, means WC for Brisbane or Sydney as well.

jmf07
12-16-2010, 08:11 AM
It's only a wildcard into the AO as far as I'm aware.

RustyOz
12-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Normally winnning the AO wild card translates into a WC into Brisbane or Sydney. Sydney would make sense as you can play the tournament the week before the Ao as you do not have to play in the AO qualifying.

djokovic
12-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Usually, AO WC means Brisbane Q WC and Sydney maindraw WC.

jmf07
12-16-2010, 03:04 PM
:shrug: unless its changed ultimately its up to Tennis Australia and the past shows there are no real precedents. It will be even harder this year with the quality of players who will be asking for Wildcards.

Previous Winners
2009 - Lindahl - Entered through Qualies in Brisbane then WC into Sydney maindraw partly because he was from NSW
2008 - Ebelthite - No Maindraw wildcards
2007 - Sirianni - Maindraw WC into Adelaide then got into Sydney because of an SE
2006 - Smeets - No Maindraw wildcards

djokovic
12-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Cannot believe it, but top 100 is not far.

jmf07
12-28-2010, 01:57 AM
WEST Australian Matt Ebden will on Tuesday be gifted a belated Christmas present - a wildcard to the Australian Open.

Ebden was this celebrating Christmas on the Gold Coast with family from South Africa, Singapore and Australia when he received the call from Tennis Australia.

The main-draw guarantee comes as a bonus as Ebden prepares to take on another year, again beginning with the Brisbane International where last January he toppled Austrian Jurgen Melzer, who went on to end the year at world No. 11.

"It's a massive honour and achievement in itself and to be recognised and to be believed in by people who have been at the top of the game is something quite special," Ebden said.

"But quite honestly, my mind set sort of clicks straight over to thinking, 'Alright, well I've been given a start, now I have to go on with it'."

Ebden experienced a breakout 2010, beginning in Brisbane with the win over Melzer.

The 23-year-old was then overlooked for an Australian Open wildcard, but forced his way into the main draw through qualifiers.

Ebden's grand slam main draw debut was against flambouyant Frenchman Gael Monfils and the Australian was far from overwhelmed in his 4-6 4-6 4-6 loss.

His year that followed had him launch more than 100 rungs to hit a high of world No. 162 in August, which placed him as the nation's fourth best player on the Tour, behing Lleyton Hewitt, Peter Luczak and Carsten Ball.

"Last year, it was great to earn my spot (at the Australian Open) and it made me build a lot of character and strength in my game and as an athlete," Ebden said.

"That sort of belief and confidence, you can't get from being given a wildcard so for me to have to earn my spot last year I think was very beneficial.

"But obviously this year, I think I've had the experience, I've been training for five sets because I expect myself to be at that level, to play the grand slams.

"So I think I'm ready for it, I'm ready to get stuck in there and show my true potential."

Ebden said his performances throughout the year, and particularly the experience he gained from the Monfils match, had him setting his sights on bigger goals in his second grand slam.

"For me it starts this week with Brisbane and to be honest, for me, the goal at these tournaments is to win them and that's what I've been working on with my coach," he said.

"This year, I went through to the round of 16 (at Brisbane), so three more and I'm into the final of the tournament.

"That's where Australians want to see their players in these tournaments, they want to see them winning, they don't want to see them just in the first round.

"Come Australian Open time, with a wildcard I'll be fresh going in there, then you've got it all to play for and if I can put my best on the park, round after round, I'm confident I can match it and beat many of the guys who will be in the draw.

"It's just about getting out there and doing it."

A pleasant surprise.

Ad Wim
12-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Indeed, didn't see this one coming!

scotthongkong
12-28-2010, 02:42 PM
awesome news for Matt. He deserves it.

Audacity
12-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Good stuff, finally it looks like TA is loosening up it's youth policy and giving the "deserving" guys a chance.

ozfan44
12-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Good stuff, finally it looks like TA is loosening up it's youth policy and giving the "deserving" guys a chance.

And about bloody time too, Good Luck Matty!!

Ozdog
01-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Matty is having a nice start to the season:

Qual round 1: Def Crivol 6-2 4-6 7-5

Qual Round 2: Def Zemlja 5-7 7-6 6-4

Qual Round 3: Def Jones 6-4 6-1

Round 1 he is to play another Aussie John Millman.

Go Matty :D

scotthongkong
01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
two of Aussie's finest going head to head. At least we will get one player into round 2 I guess..........

RustyOz
01-03-2011, 09:40 PM
two of Aussie's finest going head to head. At least we will get one player into round 2 I guess..........

Audacity
01-04-2011, 02:47 AM
Was hoping John and Ebden wouldn't come up against eachother... Oh well, may the best man win.

ozfan44
01-04-2011, 07:54 AM
GSM Ebden 4-6 6-2 6-4 :banana:

Hopefully he can keep going, next up Big serving Istomin!!

Shame they drew each other in first round :sad:

Audacity
01-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Good win, it's always tough playing against a mate. Hopefully he can keep the momentum going.

Ozdog
01-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Well Done Matty :D Good luck against Istomin

djokovic
01-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Go Ebden.

RustyOz
01-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Well done Matt. Pity it was another Oz he knocked out. Hope he can give Istomin a run for his money. He returned Jonesy's big serves well, so he can deal with Istomin's big serves as well.

scotthongkong
01-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Would be wonderful if Matt can get the 5th win in a row against Istomin.

djokovic
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Can he get the last Sydney WC if he wins tomorrow? Or Tomic?

djokovic
01-06-2011, 03:35 AM
Top 50 performance.

Sydney Q starts from tomorrow? Can he get SE or WC?

RustyOz
01-06-2011, 04:03 AM
Great performance by Matt. Maybe he can get a Special Exempt into Sydney? But he may have to reach semis (beat Soderling or Berrer) in order to be eligible.
Keep up the great tennis Matt

Huntress555
01-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Great win for Matt! :D

Audacity
01-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Good stuff. :)

ozfan44
01-06-2011, 04:52 AM
Awesome result for Matty today!!

Hopefully he can keep that form going and put in a good showing in the quater final!!

Mens Qualies in Sydney starts on Saturday im pretty sure....but surely they will give matt a main draw wildcard...

Matchu
01-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Awesome result for Matty today!!

Hopefully he can keep that form going and put in a good showing in the quater final!!

Mens Qualies in Sydney starts on Saturday im pretty sure....but surely they will give matt a main draw wildcard...

Pending Matt's result tomorrow against probably Roddick that is when the Sydney wc will be announced. If Ebden can somehow make his way into the semifinals in Brisbane then he will receive a secured entry into Sydney and won't need the wc. If Matt loses he will almost certainly get the wc into Sydney. It would be great though if Matt made it to the semis and we got two players in the main draw for Sydney, probably Luczak or Marinko. Good luck Matt, your going to need it tomorrow.

Hewitt =Legend
01-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Pending Matt's result tomorrow against probably Roddick that is when the Sydney wc will be announced. If Ebden can somehow make his way into the semifinals in Brisbane then he will receive a secured entry into Sydney and won't need the wc. If Matt loses he will almost certainly get the wc into Sydney. It would be great though if Matt made it to the semis and we got two players in the main draw for Sydney, probably Luczak or Marinko. Good luck Matt, your going to need it tomorrow.

He plays Toad tomorrow and yes he will probably get a Sydney wildcard. I think they might have had Jones in mind before this mini run however....

Greg may have to settle for a qualie wildcard now. Duckworth and Barton are two guys with a good shot as well for the qualies.

Matchu
01-07-2011, 12:40 AM
He plays Toad tomorrow and yes he will probably get a Sydney wildcard. I think they might have had Jones in mind before this mini run however....

Greg may have to settle for a qualie wildcard now. Duckworth and Barton are two guys with a good shot as well for the qualies.

Yes you are right, I forgot that Roddick was not the number 1 seed. Matt is going to struggle to keep up with the pace of Soderling but if Robin plays average then Matt can definitely be competitive. Matt will get the wc for Sydney for sure if he gets knocked out today, he has come through qualies and beat a top 40 player, everyone else lost first round.

I'm thinking Matt is going to have a good start to the year, if he can perform in Sydney and Melbourne as well it will lead him in nicely to the Aussie challengers where he should be seeded highly and should be one of the favorites. It was nice to hear this come out of Matt's mouth last night - "I'm chasing the result rather than the experience". He really has put things in perspective and it is great to see.

djokovic
01-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Sydney WC for Ebden? Hopefully can get some points, R2 please.

RustyOz
01-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Matt got the Wild Card for Sydney. Has drawn No.5 seed Richard Gasquet 1st round. It will be an interesting match.

scotthongkong
01-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Good luck Matt. Make a good show of it. He could possibly be the lone Aussie male in the draw so he should get lots of crowd support.

Audacity
01-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Ouch, tough draw. Goof luck Matt.

djokovic
01-10-2011, 04:15 AM
Will play Kubot R1?

jmf07
01-10-2011, 04:29 AM
I think Kubot slots into Baghdatis' place and gets the Bye. Matt still has to play Gasquet.

djokovic
01-10-2011, 05:07 AM
Mmmm, do not understand why they are not giving Gasquet a Bye, then Matt might get another Quarter.

Hewitt =Legend
01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Pretty good draw for Ebden, playing Mike Russell in the 1st round. Will be a grind of a match with long rallies but Russell is under a bit of an injury cloud coming into the AO, and if the match drags out, I expect Ebden to pull through here.

scotthongkong
01-14-2011, 05:01 PM
I really like Matt's chances here. Come on!

djokovic
01-18-2011, 01:29 AM
What happened, poor Ebden.

djokovic
01-18-2011, 02:17 AM
Come on, you are still alive.

Crow_Boy
01-18-2011, 03:09 AM
3-6 2-6 7-5 5-4 on serve just stuffed up then he was serving for the set.

Thanos
01-18-2011, 03:14 AM
matty constantly choking while serving for a set, hopefully he recover and win this 4th set.

Crow_Boy
01-18-2011, 04:50 AM
Russell def. Ebden 6-3 6-2 5-7 7-6(9). Ebden had two set points at 5-3 on serve shit that he choked.

RustyOz
01-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Ebden played nervous tennis for a set and a half to start. Made over 28 unforced errors in getting to 3-6, 2-6 down. Steadied and found his range toward the ned of the 2nd set but the damage had been done. Russell a mirror image of Ebden - retrives well, moves well, very consistent, no big serve, does not give you much pace to work with. Ebden was forced to generate pace to win the points and thus made more errors than normal.

Action Jackson
01-29-2011, 06:12 AM
Burnie Chall

[1] Marinko Matosevic (AUS) - Philip Bester (CAN)
John Millman (AUS) - Flavio Cipolla (ITA)
Dennis Bloemke (GER) - Pavol Cervenak (SVK)
Qualifier - [7] Ivo Minar (CZE)

[4] Carsten Ball (AUS) - James Ward (GBR)
Jan Hernych (CZE) - Qualifier
Peter Polansky (CAN) - Dusan Lojda (CZE)
Greg Jones (AUS) - [8] Tatsuma Ito (JPN)

[5] Lukas Rosol (CZE) - Qualifier
Ivo Klec (SVK) - Qualifier
Samuel Groth (AUS) - [WC] Bernard Tomic (AUS)
Matthew Ebden (AUS) - [3] Grega Zemlja (SLO)

[6] Yuichi Sugita (JPN) - Danai Udomchoke (THA)
[WC] Chris Guccione (AUS) - Brydan Klein (AUS)
[WC] James Lemke (AUS) - Tsung-Hua Yang (TPE)
[WC] Luke Saville (AUS) - [2] Paolo Lorenzi (ITA)

Ad Wim
02-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Very good win over Zemlja today.

jmf07
02-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Made easy work of his first round match against Hiroki Kondo, winning it 62 61.

jmf07
02-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Defeated Yang 60 36 61. Quarters opponent will be Cipolla. Not much between them ATM given Cipolla's form.

Hewitt =Legend
02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Cipolla's busy start to the year catches up with him in this match and Ebden takes it easily in straights. Now plays Tomic in the semis who he lost to last week in Burnie.

Chris.
02-19-2011, 03:52 AM
Ebden will play Delray Beach qualifying takes on WC Bjorn Fratangelo in the first round.

Chris.
02-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Ebden wins 6-2 6-3.

jmf07
02-20-2011, 12:50 AM
He reportedly didn't start too well but won the important points and then it all fell into place. Igor Kunitsyn is up next. Kunitsyn will be the favourite to win so hopefully Matt can produce an upset.

jmf07
02-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Matt lost 63 64 to Kunitsyn. Had to receive some medical treatment on his knee midway through the second set and his movement wasn't 100%. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Hewitt =Legend
02-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Ebden and the Cockatoo got a win in the doubles so it looks like the knee isn't too bad.

Chris.
02-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Takes on qualifier in first round of Dallas. Dustin Brown in the second would be tough.

jmf07
02-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Good to see that his knee must not be giving him too many issues after the singles and doubles in Delray. Hopefully he draws a nice qualifier.

jmf07
03-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Won his first round match against Jarmere Jenkins 64 46 63

Chris.
03-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Through to the QF's. Beating Dustin Brown 6-3 6-2. What a great win. So close to a top 100 win. Brown is ranked 102.:worship:

Hewitt =Legend
03-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Good win for Matty, although I can just picture the kind of match that Dustin played...

jmf07
03-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Nice Quarter matchup against Sock. Would be nice to see Matt make the semis here.

scotthongkong
03-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Great work from Matt

RustyOz
03-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Matt keeps the Aussie going, with a come from behind win against teenager Jack Sock. He dropped the first set 67 then came home strongly 63 61.

jmf07
03-10-2011, 03:13 AM
He has progressed through Indian Wells Qualies with two straight set wins over Marach and then Van Der Merwe. The news gets even better for Matt with him getting one of the easier qualifier spots and drawing Zverev in the first round.

RustyOz
03-11-2011, 03:55 AM
Zverev too good for our Matt in knocking him out of the tournament with a 64 63 win.

jmf07
03-11-2011, 04:32 AM
I was hoping that he might have given Zverev a few troubles here but perhaps Zverev was finally playing some decent tennis.

Chris.
03-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Quallies section for Miami:

(9) MARCHENKO, Illya UKR v FARAH, Robert COL
EBDEN, Matthew AUS v (17) ILHAN, Marsel TUR

Ilhan in the first round very tough match.

RustyOz
03-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Thought Ebden could win this one, as Jonesie beat Ilhan in 3 sets at the Oz Open in qualies, but Ihan comes from a 16 first set loss to win the next two 63 64 and deny Ebden the win.

jmf07
03-22-2011, 01:49 AM
Yeah until Le Gosier last week Ilhan had been on an 11 match losing streak so it looked very good for Matt after the first set but a good fightback from Ilhan in the end. Perhaps the couple of wins in Le Gosier have given Ilhan his confidence back.

Chris.
04-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Ebden is seeded number 8 this week in South Africa and takes on a qualifier in the first round. Dustin Brown the number one seed is in his section and Ebden has beat him easily this year. Hoping for a good week after a bit of a lay off.

scotthongkong
04-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Come on Matty

Sombrerero loco
04-12-2011, 04:28 PM
LOl sorry about the mistake...
edited

Hewitt =Legend
04-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Cheers for the pics sombrerero.. but wrong matt thread :p

jmf07
04-13-2011, 01:53 AM
As expected Matt gets through his first round match without any huge issues with a 7-5 6-3 win over Tosihide Matsui. Next up is Danai Udomchoke who is coming into this tournament after winning two Thai Futures. Matt has been listed as a very slight favourite for this match.

RustyOz
04-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Ebden hangs on and gets up against Danai Udomchoke 6-3 76. Well done, good win, keep it going Matt.

Chris.
04-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Awesome win keep it up.:D

scotthongkong
04-15-2011, 03:42 PM
beat dreddy now and get to the semis

Hewitt =Legend
04-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Dusty loves the altitude and will be tough but he can gift you a lot of points as well..

jmf07
05-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Playing the 75k Busan Challenger on hardcourt tis week. He was up 7-5 1-0 in the first round before his opponent Jae-Sung Am retired. Next up is Amir Weintraub.

RustyOz
05-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Surprisingly Ebden bows out of the Korean Challenger in Busan, going down to Amir Weintraub.

Sombrerero loco
05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
omg what a loss...

jmf07
05-13-2011, 03:34 AM
Not a great result. He is entered for the Cremona 30k hardcourt challenger in Italy next week. He is the 4th highest ranked player on the entry list at the moment so hopefully he can put in a good showing.

jmf07
05-17-2011, 01:51 AM
Won his first round at Cremona with a 6-4 6-4 win over the qualifier Pierre-Ludovic Duclos. Matt was only serving at 56% but it must have been effective when it was going in as he won 26 point from 28 first serves. Next up is the winner of Jan-Lennard Struff and Daniel Cox.

Nathaliia
05-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Matthew was pictured by my website correspondent in Cremona :)

http://www.tennisalternative.com/images/news/may2011/cremona-thursday/matthew-ebden-cremona-2011.jpg

RustyOz
05-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Nice photo - Matt got up against Cox 62 75. Had a mid-set lapse in 2nd set - was a break up 31 and lost 4 games in a row to go 35 down, Cox failed to serve out the set and Ebden recovered, wining 4 in a row himself to close out the match.

ozfan44
05-20-2011, 04:45 PM
smacked arnaboldi 2n2 today :banana:

Nathaliia
05-20-2011, 10:00 PM
pic

http://www.tennisalternative.com/images/news/may2011/cremona-friday/matthew-ebden-cremona-2011.jpg

report (if someone doesn't go to the challenger board on MTF)
http://www.tennisalternative.com/cremona-tennis-challenger-2011-friday-report-rn645.html

RustyOz
05-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Ebden unfortunately got "smacked 2n2" (to quote Ozfan44) by Rainer Scheuttler in the semis.
Wonder why Ebden did not play FO qualies?

Sombrerero loco
05-22-2011, 11:33 AM
ebden T_T

Chris.
05-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Still a good week from him. Anyone know what his ranking will go up too?

Matchu
05-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Still a good week from him. Anyone know what his ranking will go up too?

He will move to around 170 in the world and Bernard will fall to Matt's current ranking of about 185 because Bernard made the semis of the same tournament last year. Not a huge movement for Matt but definitely will help him in the long run. Hopefully some more similar results for Matt are on the way.

ozfan44
05-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Matt is primed for a big Grass season now, he plays well on the surface and can hopefully get some good results over the next month in the uk!!

Chris.
05-30-2011, 02:35 AM
Ebden takes on Lacko in the first round of Nottingham he should be able to get through that one on grass.

Audacity
06-02-2011, 04:06 AM
Had a great win 7-6(3) 3-6 7-5 over Lacko. Bemelmans is next - he has a good serve and decent volleys, could be tough.

RustyOz
06-02-2011, 04:21 AM
Had a great win 7-6(3) 3-6 7-5 over Lacko. Bemelmans is next - he has a good serve and decent volleys, could be tough.

MMM plays Bemelmans next, has a good chance of winning that match on grass.
Matt is up against Alex Bogomolov. Bogo in good form so it will be an interesting contest between two in-form players.

Audacity
06-02-2011, 05:05 AM
MMM plays Bemelmans next, has a good chance of winning that match on grass.
Matt is up against Alex Bogomolov. Bogo in good form so it will be an interesting contest between two in-form players.

Wow, my mistake. :lol:

Really hope Matty can get up here.

Chris.
06-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Matty beat Alex Bogomolov Jnr 4-6 6-3 6-2. Firing down 12 aces and only droped serve once which was in the first set. Takes on Muller or Sweeting for a spot in the semis.

Audacity
06-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Nice stuff Matt! Either one of Muller/Sweeting is going to be a tough match.

ozfan44
06-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Muller won so a great test for Matt....he will need to be returning well to put pressure on Gilles!

Chris.
06-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Was that Matt's first top 100 win?

Audacity
06-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Was that Matt's first top 100 win?

No mate, Matt's best win was in Brisbane this year beating then-ranked 40 Istomin.

Chris.
06-03-2011, 01:14 PM
No mate, Matt's best win was in Brisbane this year beating then-ranked 40 Istomin.

Oh yeah forgot about Brisbane this year where he made the QF's.

Chris.
06-04-2011, 04:04 AM
Lost in 3 sets to Muller after taking the first set.

Chris.
06-04-2011, 05:39 AM
Matt is playing quallies for Queens and takes on fellow Aussie Michael Look in the first round.

Chris.
06-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Through 6-4 6-7(1) 6-3.

Audacity
06-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Close one. Takes on WC Marcus Willis next round.

scotthongkong
06-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Matty beats Willis and now takes on Conor Niland for a main draw spot which would be awesome if he could achieve this.

RustyOz
06-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Ebden plays his "get out of jail" rain delay card against Conor Niland. A set and double break down 0-3 in the 2nd, he breaks back for 1-3, then a rain delay. On resumption he squares the score at 5-5 before another rain delay. When play commences again he wins the 2nd set tie-break 7-4, then gets the 3rd set to a tie-break, eventually breaking Niland's resolve (and heart), taking the tei-break 8-6, to advance to the Main Draw. A good fight there.
Matt is drawn to play Somdev Devvaarman in the 1st round MD.
He can get revenge for his loss to Devvaarman in the Commonwealth Games(on hard)on the grass here.

Chris.
06-06-2011, 03:25 AM
Good fight back Matty. I really hope he can get up here and set up a match with Nadal. Devvarman isnt that great on grass Matosevic beat him last week on grass. Good luck Matty.

Audacity
06-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Matt can win this. Would be great to see him up against Nadal.