Which Player Disappointed You the Most in 2009 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which Player Disappointed You the Most in 2009

Clay Death
10-16-2009, 02:11 AM
as 2009 draws to a close, we are all probably wondering why certain players did not do better or could not do better in 2009 as they were expected to. list a player or players that disappointed you the most in 2009 and why.

discuss. you have the platform.

i can fire off the first shot:

1. clay monster : he could not manage his schedule in 2009 to stay healthy for a whole year so he is my biggest disappointment. he stumbled badly at roland garros where he had never lost and he was a no show at wimby because of those same knee issues.

2. Gonzo : he just keeps playing dumb tennis

3. Gulbis : he is just not making sufficient progress. i am beginning to wonder if he just lacks the motivation and the drive needed to beat the top players on consistent basis.

4. Roddick : should have bagged the wimbldon crown while he had a chance.

KoOlMaNsEaN
10-16-2009, 02:18 AM
#3 by far

El Legenda
10-16-2009, 02:24 AM
With all the success at Masters, if Ljubo won some matches in other tourneys he would have easily been top 20 or top 15. 6 wins vs top 11 this year (all at Masters)

Clay Death
10-16-2009, 02:27 AM
With all the success at Masters, if Ljubo won some matches in other tourneys he would have easily been top 20 or top 15. 6 wins vs top 11 this year (all at Masters)

i would have like to have seen him bag a title or 2 but the age has something to do with it. he is getting up there for a tennis pro.

NYMIKE
10-16-2009, 02:36 AM
Murray for losing to Roddick in Wimbledon, and not repeating his previous year run at US Open.

theseth1119
10-16-2009, 02:38 AM
Actually, the player who disappointed me the most in 2009 was...

Rogie

To date he only has four titles in 2009. I was very disappointed in his following matches...

Doha SF to Murray, AO F to Rafa, IW SF to Murray, Miami SF to Chokovic, 3rd round loss to Wawrinka, Rome SF loss to Chokovic, Montreal QF loss to Tsonga, and USO F loss to Del Potro.

Add into that the Abu Dhabi SF exhibitionm loss to Murray as well.

I understand Rogie can't win every match, but I'd have preferred 7-9 titles right now and not the 4he has, although the 4 are two GSs and MSs.

Clay Death
10-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Murray for losing to Roddick in Wimbledon, and not repeating his previous year run at US Open.

welcome to the forums by the way.

i keep forgetting about murray. he did disappoint at times to be sure. that wrist injury held him back to some extent at the u.s. open.

sawan66278
10-16-2009, 02:46 AM
Hands down: Andy Murray. Failed to perform well in any slam...and went from #2 to possibly out of the top four. On top of this, he played MUCH better tactical tennis last year...and took a major step back.

Rafa? Disappointed by his insane scheduling...however, his family issues led to many problems as well.

Gulbis? HUGE disappointment. No motivation...no efforts...and, as a result, no results.

Roddick? Choked Wimbledon...but made it farther than anyone realistically expected.

Monfils and Tsonga...TWO HUGE disappointments. After last year's successes, they decided that partying was more important than winning.

Sunset of Age
10-16-2009, 03:23 AM
No-one, as I never consider 'expectations' to be a given to indeed happen. :shrug:

chammer44
10-16-2009, 03:33 AM
Murray.

I'll never get over his loss to that bloody fool Roddick.

KaiserT
10-16-2009, 03:33 AM
No-one, as I never consider 'expectations' to be a given to indeed happen. :shrug:

Baffling post.

Sunset of Age
10-16-2009, 03:34 AM
Baffling post.

So sorry. It's just me. :angel:

FedFan_2007
10-16-2009, 03:44 AM
Def Federer. He should have converted a break point in the 3rd set of the Aussie final and served out the 2nd set in the US final. Should have won the Calendar slam.

DJ Soup
10-16-2009, 04:03 AM

I sort of agree with you.

There are expectations but I'm ready for anything to happen, so it is pretty difficult for me to find myself dissapointed.

name_change
10-16-2009, 04:10 AM
Nalbandian. Then again, he disappoints me year in year out.

Nadal.

lurker
10-16-2009, 04:15 AM
I kinda agree about Nadal. The ridiculous schedule and his 150% each match/each tounrament attitude had some to do with it, but nothing is more disappointing than losing a GS title then not being able to defend the next one.

However, Murray is the biggest disappointment. He was talked up, on the cusp of No. 1 at the beginning of the year even. I never thought he'd be able to win at Wimby so his loss to Roddick was not a disaster. But Cilic at the US Open?!?!? WTF?!?!?! Now this injury preventing him from defending his points...

On a brighter note, though Djokovic should have done better at the slams, at least he has regained his No. 3 rank.

Verdasco is another disappointment, after that brilliant display in Australia, he kinda flamed out.

Clay Death
10-16-2009, 04:25 AM
I kinda agree about Nadal. The ridiculous schedule and his 150% each match/each tounrament attitude had some to do with it, but nothing is more disappointing than losing a GS title then not being able to defend the next one.

However, Murray is the biggest disappointment. He was talked up, on the cusp of No. 1 at the beginning of the year even. I never thought he'd be able to win at Wimby so his loss to Roddick was not a disaster. But Cilic at the US Open?!?!? WTF?!?!?! Now this injury preventing him from defending his points...

On a brighter note, though Djokovic should have done better at the slams, at least he has regained his No. 3 rank.

Verdasco is another disappointment, after that brilliant display in Australia, he kinda flamed out.

speaking of the great serbian slayer--gotta hand it to djokovic. he is just now getting around to taking advantage of the situation. he may just take shanghai masters, paris masters, and maybe even the masters cup. we will just have to see if he can pull it off. this is the time to do it.

cannot agree more about nadal. roland garros was the last slam he ever needed to lose. one thing he could do was play on clay. and now we dont know how chronic the knee issues have become.

his movement is not anywhere close to what it was in early 2008.

and you are right about verdasco. i too expected more from him since he was showing signs of progress.

Mimi
10-16-2009, 04:30 AM
rafa, he could have added at least one more slam to his career if he planned his schedule more carefully :rolleyes:

Voo de Mar
10-16-2009, 04:38 AM
Gulbis.

Clay Death
10-16-2009, 04:49 AM
Gulbis.

that chap is just too damn rich. that may be his biggest problem. imagine being flown to tournaments around the globe in your own private jet at 19.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/claydeath/Sparta-3.jpg

Voo de Mar
10-16-2009, 05:22 AM
that chap is just too damn rich. that may be his biggest problem. imagine being flown to tournaments around the globe in your own private jet at 19.

I agree with this. I think it's tough to educate good habits required in sport being very rich already as a child.

paseo
10-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Def Federer. He should have converted a break point in the 3rd set of the Aussie final and served out the 2nd set in the US final. Should have won the Calendar slam.

It's really tough to be Fed, you know. Even though he wins 2 GS and become no.1, his fans still disappointed in him :)

wlodar
10-16-2009, 08:10 AM
From outside top 100:

- Schwank
- Dimitrov
- Junqueira
- Devilder

bokehlicious
10-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Federer. He definitely shouldn't have choked those AO and USO :mad: :( :p

Apemant
10-16-2009, 09:07 AM

:eek: I'm not actually disappointed... but only now I realize, wow, he was so fuckin' close! Both finals he lost were tough 5-setters which could have gone either way easily... sheesh.

born_on_clay
10-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Marcos Baghdatis

evil23
10-16-2009, 09:24 AM
:eek: I'm not actually disappointed... but only now I realize, wow, he was so fuckin' close! Both finals he lost were tough 5-setters which could have gone either way easily... sheesh.
same with wimbledon...he's very lucky he won that

CooCooCachoo
10-16-2009, 09:45 AM
When it comes to my favourites, I was hoping Flavio could crack the Top 100 and remain there :sobbing:

mystic ice cube
10-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Verdasco probably. After seeing him in the AO I was expecting a better year for him.

Federer had a great year. Sure, he could have done better in those matches but you win some, lose some. Wimbledom, the AO & the USO could have gone either way.

jrm
10-16-2009, 10:39 AM
French guys like Tsonga, Monfils and Simon

All made huge impact last year and you kind of suspected to keep the level in 2009 and it never happened!

Andreev is just a mess at the moment, Tursunov equally bad

acionescu
10-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Soderling :p

prima donna
10-16-2009, 10:47 AM
speaking of the great serbian slayer--gotta hand it to djokovic. he is just now getting around to taking advantage of the situation. he may just take shanghai masters, paris masters, and maybe even the masters cup. we will just have to see if he can pull it off. this is the time to do it.
Okay.

munZe konZa
10-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Djokovic by far, he should win slams and masters titles but no this year. He looked very weak in many matches

tennishero
10-16-2009, 11:35 AM
murray
gulbis
schwank

Hellraiser
10-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Murray, Wawrinka, Blake, Gulbis, Llodra, Mannarino, Bogomolov Jr. Gawron, Olejniczak.

Action Jackson
10-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Federer didn't win enough Slams.

JolánGagó
10-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Nadal has been a huge disappointment, then Muzza.

petar_pan
10-16-2009, 01:08 PM
cilic: he would be top 10 and quater/semifinalist of GS on regular basis that he has the real coach (brett is just fiction because he is with him only on few tournaments).

rhinooooo
10-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Gulbis. No explanation needed.
Llodra. Had some good runs last season but some injuries and shit form killed him this year.
Schwank. Not even in ATP events anymore.
Ferrer. Has been sliding consistently the last two years.
Almagro. Pathetic.
Murray and Tsonga for their Slam performances.

munZe konZa
10-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Llodra. Had some good runs last season but some injuries and shit form killed him this year.
Almagro. Pathetic.

Why not Djokovic ?

He is the biggest disappointment this with no slams or masters titles !!

habibko
10-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Federer disappointed me in the USO final, he had the match under control and failed to serve out the 2nd set, and then kept exchanging power rallies trying to beat Del Pony at his own game when he has so much else he can do, the 5th set of the AO was a major disappointment as well.

Aaric
10-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Stan, with SO many close losses against top players :o ( Last one stephanek, and he got injured in addition to)
I will remember Montecarlo tough :lol:

rubbERR
10-16-2009, 01:23 PM
stephanek...its stepanek :D

kaylee
10-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Roddick

mr_burns
10-16-2009, 01:50 PM
kiefer..eith his talent out of top 100 and was only injured seriosly till IW

Wimbledon was the worst

MurrayFan1
10-16-2009, 02:28 PM
James Blake.

rafa_maniac
10-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Results wise it has to be Djokovic, no MS titles, and not a Slam final. Funnily enough he still leads the tour in match wins, but that's because he's played a crapload of tournaments and has gone far in a lot of them, though rarely winning. Nadal's season turned out to be somewhat of a dissapointment but he still won a HC Slam and 4 other titles, so while it didn't turn into the historical season it once looked like being, it was great nonetheless. Murray had a good year generally speaking, but an epic dissapointment at the Slams.

ShotmaKer
10-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Donald Young. Still failed to convert into watching tennis only.

Noleta
10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Djokovic for me:sad:especially in slams:mad:

SetSampras
10-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Djokovic.. Very subpar year and biggest disappointment. Murray not so much IMO cause quite frankly I dont think he has the tools to be a multi time slam champ since he lacks alot of aggressiveness.. His pusher ways only go so far. Djokovic has been the biggest disappointment by far. Losing to Roddick at the AO, crappy Kohlschreiber at the French in an early round, Haas at Wimbeldon? and was routined by Fed at the USO. DJoker has diminished instead of gotten better results slam wise. He should be in his prime or at least entering it by now and hes had lesser showings these days than 2 years ago when this should be his time

Kitty de Sade
10-16-2009, 06:33 PM
In order- Gulbis/Young (tied), Schwank, Tursunov, Spadea and Coria.

tennizen
10-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Murray

ChinoRios4Ever
10-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Gonzo a disappointment? Are you serious? :o

The guy is 29 years old, he reached SF at RG, QF at USO, 4th at AO. :wavey:

CMon!!! He always has played the same "dumb tennis" that you call, he improved a lot in many departments in the recent years. He has many weaknesses in his game, these are many better players on tour than him.

About the guy who disappoint me the most this year? I don't know, maybe Gulbis, probably Djokovic and Murray not having more success at the GS.

maki925
10-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Nole , because all the lost finals :crying2:

Bascule
10-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Djokovic.. Very subpar year and biggest disappointment. Murray not so much IMO cause quite frankly I dont think he has the tools to be a multi time slam champ since he lacks alot of aggressiveness.. His pusher ways only go so far. Djokovic has been the biggest disappointment by far. Losing to Roddick at the AO, crappy Kohlschreiber at the French in an early round, Haas at Wimbeldon? and was routined by Fed at the USO. DJoker has diminished instead of gotten better results slam wise. He should be in his prime or at least entering it by now and hes had lesser showings these days than 2 years ago when this should be his time

Agree.

But, as far as MTF expectations - Murray is the biggest clown so far.

Clay Death
10-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Agree.

But, as far as MTF expectations - Murray is the biggest clown so far.

i would have to agree great bascule but i still have to put my player ahead of him. clay monster fucked up a damn good thing this year. he could easily have had 1-2 more slams to his name after that australian open title in his back pocket.

Certinfy
10-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Murray. :o

Still hoping for a better 2010...

tennishero
10-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Almagro. Pathetic.

good list

In order- Gulbis/Young (tied), Schwank, Tursunov, Spadea and Coria.

is that guy a DJ in ur avatar?

Clydey
10-16-2009, 07:58 PM
My doubles partner Dave. He really let me down this season. Motherfucker...

Certinfy
10-16-2009, 07:59 PM
My doubles partner Dave. He really let me down this season. Motherfucker...

:hug: What did/didn't he do?

Clydey
10-16-2009, 08:06 PM
:hug: What did/didn't he do?

He serves underarm.

Kitty de Sade
10-16-2009, 08:07 PM
is that guy a DJ in ur avatar?

No, that's actor Jackie Earle Haley.

rubbERR
10-16-2009, 08:33 PM
flavio cipolla who wasnt able to show his true potential, damn

Jimnik
10-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Gulbis - obvious reasons.

Nishikori - aged 19 and can't get fit/healthy.

Safin - choking from TWO breaks up THREE times in ONE month is beyond disappointing.

Certinfy
10-16-2009, 08:48 PM
He serves underarm.Oh :haha: :haha: :haha:

tennishero
10-16-2009, 09:34 PM
No, that's actor Jackie Earle Haley.

oh ok, he looks like an italian DJ, forgot name.

Clay Death
10-17-2009, 12:53 AM
He serves underarm.

that is simply unacceptable clydey. no less than 1000 lashes for that madness right on the spot next time.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/claydeath/v_strelok080100018.jpg

ArgieFan
10-17-2009, 01:11 AM
He serves underarm.

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

Probably Schwank. And Gulbis.

FlameOn
10-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Both of my main favourites have disappointed me in a way this year.

Djokovic for general underachievement and only MM tournament wins.

Verdasco for being unable to get that 'big win' despite many opportunities against the top players, despite having a truly awesome season otherwise. I hope if he makes it to London he could prove me wrong. :)

Sapeod
10-17-2009, 01:54 AM
It's Schuettler for me. Guy has been slumping but he has hardly won anything this year.
Kiefer as well, though injuries are his problem.
Another one is Lopez. He's been pretty bad this year, but he's picking it up...

Clay Death
10-17-2009, 03:54 AM
It's Schuettler for me. Guy has been slumping but he has hardly won anything this year.
Kiefer as well, though injuries are his problem.
Another one is Lopez. He's been pretty bad this year, but he's picking it up...

shittler is like 100 years old in tennis years. how can he disappoint anybody?

shittler is just shittler.

shotgun
10-17-2009, 03:55 AM
Nadal. He had the obligation to win Roland Garros. :tears:

Clay Death
10-17-2009, 04:13 AM
Nadal. He had the obligation to win Roland Garros. :tears:

affirmative. that is 1 slam he should never lose while in his prime. sure enough he managed to do it.

thegreendestiny
10-17-2009, 04:48 AM
Murray. He was so hyped to win a major this year and didn't even get to the finals of any of them. :help:

Nalbandian. Well, I dont really blame him for his injuries but it's such a shame not having him around.
Nishikori. I blame IMG for those injuries. :o

gulzhan
10-17-2009, 05:20 AM
Safin :sad: It's his last year, he could have enjoyed it at least.

DorianGray7
10-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Roger Federer by far.

He was completely crushed at two Grand Slam finals, cried at 1 of them, and then lost to Tsonga at Montreal in a complete choke.

2009 definitely shows Roger Federer is finished and he will never win another slam. ever. He'll likely drop out of the top 3 within the first half of next year if not top 5.

dan_the_man1983
10-17-2009, 07:28 AM
How has Verdasco been a disappointment?

If anything, this year has been a vast improvement compared to his other years on tour.

Anyways for disappointment, I am saying Novak. 4 MS finals and not 1 win, and not a slam final like I expected.

FlameOn
10-17-2009, 10:21 AM
How has Verdasco been a disappointment?

If anything, this year has been a vast improvement compared to his other years on tour.

Anyways for disappointment, I am saying Novak. 4 MS finals and not 1 win, and not a slam final like I expected.
He's had an awesome year without a doubt, and the way he's become like a whole other league of player at the age of 25 is a really rare and awesome thing. It's just slightly disappointing (though not so much that it takes away from his achievements) that he's only beaten a Top 5 player once in this year, and that was Murray at his magical AO run. The year's not over, and if he makes it to London, I'd hope that he could score an upset. :)

Iván
10-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Koubek

SetSampras
10-18-2009, 02:35 AM
Back to Djoker.. He loses to freakin Davystinko now?? WOW!!!. Should have been routine win for Djoker. Hes the far better player.. Just shows goes to show you how crappy Djoker has been this year. Confidence or whatever it is.. Its sad

Clay Death
10-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Back to Djoker.. He loses to freakin Davystinko now?? WOW!!!. Should have been routine win for Djoker. Hes the far better player.. Just shows goes to show you how crappy Djoker has been this year. Confidence or whatever it is.. Its sad

he really had no business losing today. i am little pissed at him. he should be able to overpower davydenko at will.

Sapeod
10-18-2009, 03:00 AM
shittler is like 100 years old in tennis years. how can he disappoint anybody?

shittler is just shittler.
Shittler has a great game. Have you even seen him play?

I get the feeling you're only calling him Shittler 'cos others do...

Schuettler should've carried his form from last season into this one but he kept losing to players he shouldn't have been losing to.

And BTW he's not shit. He has a much better looking game than Nadal will ever have.

Clay Death
10-18-2009, 03:03 AM
Shittler has a great game. Have you even seen him play?

I get the feeling you're only calling him Shittler 'cos others do...

Schuettler should've carried his form from last season into this one but he kept losing to players he shouldn't have been losing to.

seen a couple of his matches. he choked badly in both of them.

he is just too old for tennis bra. one can always linger around the sport for a while after 30 but it does get a bit harder to win titles or to beat top players.

Sapeod
10-18-2009, 03:04 AM
seen a couple of his matches. he choked badly in both of them.

he is just too old for tennis bra. one can always linger around the sport for a while after 30 but it does get a bit harder to win titles or to beat top players.

Santoro is managing to. Schuettler will stay in the top 100 this year I think... As long as he still does well in challengers and occasional atp tournament I will always support him.

Come on Rainer :rocker2:

Il Primo Uomo
10-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Murray.

I'll never get over his loss to that bloody fool Roddick.

Ditto. Murray really blew in slams this year. Losing to Verdasco, Roddick and Cilic that way was NOT a good look at all. Period.

I'd add Djoker too. I mean, he can't win any significant title since the MasterCup. And his behaviour and quitting ways are getting more and more disgusting. Roddick (that excuse of a tennis player) is tossing his ass left and right and got his number. What's up with that?

Sapeod
10-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Murray reached the 4th, QF, SF and 4th at each slam and won 5 titles, including 2 MS titles :rolleyes:

He's still had a cracking year. Hardly a disappointing year :rolleyes:

Il Primo Uomo
10-18-2009, 03:32 AM
Please. Not being able to go further than the 4th round in the Hardcourt Slams when you win almost all MS played on that same surface is lame as hell. So Murray sucked big time and everybody and their mama need to realise it. Period.
And I like his game, so I'm totally unbiased. A one point you gotta call a cat a cat.

Sapeod
10-18-2009, 03:54 AM
Please. Not being able to go further than the 4th round in the Hardcourt Slams when you win almost all MS played on that same surface is lame as hell. So Murray sucked big time and everybody and their mama need to realise it. Period.
And I like his game, so I'm totally unbiased. A one point you gotta call a cat a cat.
I guess you've got a point, when talking about the slams. But overall his year has been great, except for slams... A lot of posters, and I'm not pinning this on you BTW, say his year has been crappy because he didn't do well at slams even though he reached no.2, won 2 MS title and was amazingly consistent in every tournament...

Start da Game
10-18-2009, 05:16 AM
rafael is a big disappointment this year.......he would have given himself an outside chance of the calender slam had he not gone to some of the useless events in the early season to destroy his knees........

Noleta
10-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Ditto. Murray really blew in slams this year. Losing to Verdasco, Roddick and Cilic that way was NOT a good look at all. Period.

I'd add Djoker too. I mean, he can't win any significant title since the MasterCup. And his behaviour and quitting ways are getting more and more disgusting. Roddick (that excuse of a tennis player) is tossing his ass left and right and got his number. What's up with that?

Only happened once this year,when it was extremely hot in Melbourne:confused:as for his behaviour???don't know what you mean by that:confused:

Sophocles
10-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Murray is the obvious choice, simply because he didn't live up to the hype when it came to the slams. But he did have his best results at 3 of the slams and a very good year outside them, and I never believed the hype anyway, so I can't say I'm disappointed in him. I'll be disappointed if he never wins a slam.

The real disappointment has been Tsonga. When he blew Nadal away in that A.O. semi last year it looked as though a major new talent was emerging - a genuine slam contender, as Del Potro has since proven himself to be. But instead, this year he's been a solid top-tenner making slam quarters & winning small tournaments. Does he have it in him to make the step up to the top 5, with regular slam semis at least? I doubt it.

Il Primo Uomo
10-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Only happened once this year,when it was extremely hot in Melbourne:confused:as for his behaviour???don't know what you mean by that:confused:

Oh, really? The guy retires wayyyyyy too much IMO

Noleta
10-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Oh, really? The guy retires wayyyyyy too much IMO

Because he put his health first,just look what happened to Nadal.Still this year he's working on his fitness and only retired once:)

Il Primo Uomo
10-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Because he put his health first,just look what happened to Nadal.Still this year he's working on his fitness and only retired once:)

Too bad Nadal's season still 100 times better than his, healthy or not :)

Noleta
10-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Too bad Nadal's season still 100 times better than his, healthy or not :)

Have you run out of excuses now:lol:

Il Primo Uomo
10-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Have you run out of excuses now:lol:

You obviously missed the point. You basically told me "look at where Nadal is compared to Djoke. Since Djoke took care of himself he only retired ONCE while Nadal's been out 2 months". And I'm saying that Nadal, unhealty and all, still has a better year than Djoke. And don't get it twisted, I'm sure Djoke would gadly trade his forgetable year against Nadal's with all the injuries included. Got it?

I'm out of here.

Noleta
10-18-2009, 05:26 PM
You obviously missed the point. You basically told me "look at where Nadal is compared to Djoke. Since Djoke took care of himself he only retired ONCE while Nadal's been out 2 months". And I'm saying that Nadal, unhealty and all, still has a better year than Djoke. And don't get it twisted, I'm sure Djoke would gadly trade his forgetable year against Nadal's with all the injuries included. Got it?

I'm out of here.

No you did mate:)not to mention putting words in my mouth:eek:

:wavey:

Vida
10-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Nadal surely. missed RG and Wimbledon.... given the nature of his condition, it seems impossible that avoiding what happened in mid-season had nothing to do with his own personal decision-making process. in another words - he made a mistake.

than Djoko. still battling demons that make him flop when bad stuff stack up. even this wretched 'below the radar' attitude points that he still hasnt got out of 'everything must be perfect' shell. bs in my view. consequence of this mindset was evident in his semi final match with federer. 'I love you Fed and I want to have your babies' might be comfortable but that is not the reason why you are there. man up.

Nalby. what goes around comes around. his present state in the game is in direct relation with his non existent ambition. expected more.

overall I expected a bit more from Cilic.

Berdych again shoot himself in the head (apparently he missed cause there was nothing in it).

Murray might feel as a disappointment to many but he did very good. its the unjustified hype that over blew the expectations.

Delpo was great. I gave him like 15 per cent for a slam.

Roddick was fine, though he surely feels disappointed.

Julio
10-18-2009, 06:32 PM

;)

Agree about Muzza : at Wimby against Roddick : 1 set all, then a 40-00* situation on Roddick's serve and was not even able to break him. He really did in his pants and at home.
The worst performance ever in Open Era.

About 09' season ? Murray is still slamless so he MUST BE the biggest disappointment.
Nadal won a GS this year : surely not his best year but surely not the worst too.

Vida
10-18-2009, 06:40 PM
;)

Agree about Muzza : at Wimby against Roddick : 1 set all, then a 40-00* situation on Roddick's serve and was not even able to break him. He really did in his pants and at home.
The worst performance ever in Open Era.

About 09' season ? Murray is still slamless so he MUST BE the biggest disappointment.
Nadal won a GS this year : surely not his best year but surely not the worst too.

why is that? he is not a slam winner.

obviously his style in this day and age is not suited for the Slam format.

River
10-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Murray.

No GS Finals.
No GS wins.
Only player in the top 6 to not have a GS period.
Shot back down to #4.

You can only defend so many points >>

I wanted to say Rafa, but he was bound to burn out after these last great years anyways.

malisha
10-18-2009, 10:44 PM
From outside top 100:

- Schwank
- Dimitrov
- Junqueira
- Devilder

this guy for me as well
great up an coming potential

andylovesaustin
10-18-2009, 10:47 PM
I was very disappointed in Roger as a champion and GOAT after the A.O., but I'm not now. I just think he was overcome and overwhelmed with the moment. I dunno. Only he knows for sure.

I'm disappointed FOR Rafa. I'm sure he's disappointed, too. I thought it would be great if he won the grand slam, but it wasn't meant to be. He has to live-out his own destiny. And after so many years of success, his body just gaveout. Also life caught-up with him, too. He's not the young kid of tennis anymore.. so.. Whatever his destiny is... well he can only control it so much..

BTW, have you all ever notice how bad Rafa's posture is? I noticed when that crazy ass fan tried to kiss Rafa--with his shirt-off-- at the USOpen. Then there was a thread here about player's height I was reading one day. Somebody mentioned Rafa slumping a bit. I think he really slumps a lot! He's really hunched over... or looks that way. I wonder if his poor posture may be causing some injuries as far fetched as it seems.

I was disappointed for Andy Roddick at Wimby, but happy he made it to the final..and played a pretty good match. I was more disappointed for Andy Roddick at the US Open. And I tend to become disappointed IN him when he acts a fool on-court sometimes.

Speaking of.. I was very disappointed in Serena Williams... Very..
Nuff said.

I was disappointed for Safina that she just couldn't keep it together.

I was happy for Kim Clister's comeback.

Let's see.. I was happy for Robyn Soderling and Ponyboy! I was also happy for Roger's success. I hate to use the word "deserves," but Roger has earned all the accolades he receives.

I was also happy for Tommy Haas' success at the French and Nole for turning the crowd around at the USOpen.

Andy Murray? Well...I'm disappointed that he's probably disappointed he hasn't quite lived up to the hype...

Gosh... that's enough for now.

Burrow
10-18-2009, 10:59 PM
I was very disappointed in Roger as a champion and GOAT after the A.O., but I'm not now. I just think he was overcome and overwhelmed with the moment. I dunno. Only he knows for sure.

I'm disappointed FOR Rafa. I'm sure he's disappointed, too. I thought it would be great if he won the grand slam, but it wasn't meant to be. He has to live-out his own destiny. And after so many years of success, his body just gaveout. Also life caught-up with him, too. He's not the young kid of tennis anymore.. so.. Whatever his destiny is... well he can only control it so much..

BTW, have you all ever notice how bad Rafa's posture is? I noticed when that crazy ass fan tried to kiss Rafa--with his shirt-off-- at the USOpen. Then there was a thread here about player's height I was reading one day. Somebody mentioned Rafa slumping a bit. I think he really slumps a lot! He's really hunched over... or looks that way. I wonder if his poor posture may be causing some injuries as far fetched as it seems.

I was disappointed for Andy Roddick at Wimby, but happy he made it to the final..and played a pretty good match. I was more disappointed for Andy Roddick at the US Open. And I tend to become disappointed IN him when he acts a fool on-court sometimes.

Speaking of.. I was very disappointed in Serena Williams... Very..
Nuff said.

I was disappointed for Safina that she just couldn't keep it together.

I was happy for Kim Clister's comeback.

Let's see.. I was happy for Robyn Soderling and Ponyboy! I was also happy for Roger's success. I hate to use the word "deserves," but Roger has earned all the accolades he receives.

I was also happy for Tommy Haas' success at the French and Nole for turning the crowd around at the USOpen.

Andy Murray? Well...I'm disappointed that he's probably disappointed he hasn't quite lived up to the hype...

Gosh... that's enough for now.

Weren't you happier he made the Wimbledon Semi-finals?

andylovesaustin
10-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Weren't you happier he made the Wimbledon Semi-finals?

Honestly, I completely forgot about that! :lol:

I just remember the French, for some strange reason--well I've always preferred the French Open to Wimby, if the truth be told. And of course, for me it was all about Andy Roddick's success at Wimby!

So excuse me, Mr. Haas.. I'm happy for his success at both the French and Wimby!

P.S. I remember the reason I recalled the French: because I wanted Roger out of there--bad. I didn't want Roger to win that tournament, so I wanted an upset, and since I like Tommy.. well there ya go!

Burrow
10-18-2009, 11:19 PM
To be honest, I don't think he done anything special at RG. The best player he beat was Chardy.He shouldn't really be losing to Mayer and basically retired Pavel :shrug:

andylovesaustin
10-18-2009, 11:24 PM
To be honest, I don't think he done anything special at RG. The best player he beat was Chardy.He shouldn't really be losing to Mayer and basically retired Pavel :shrug:

I might be getting the tournaments confused! :lol: I thought played v Roger a close set... I thought five, then lost! Maybe I'm thinking about Wimby.

Hey give a girl a break. I'm a working girl, and I'm tired!

Burrow
10-18-2009, 11:26 PM
He did take Federer to five, I don't regard this as a great accomplishment though.

andylovesaustin
10-18-2009, 11:29 PM
He did take Federer to five, I don't regard this as a great accomplishment though.

You didn't see the P.S.: P.S. I remember the reason I recalled the French: because I wanted Roger out of there--bad. I didn't want Roger to win that tournament, so I wanted an upset, and since I like Tommy.. well there ya go!

I thought Tommy was going to win that match! I was so happy.. but alas, it was not meant to be!

And the fact Roger went on to win the tournament beating Soderling in straight sets.. Tommy didn't do all that badly. He had a two set advantage, right? Tommy just did Tommy..:shrug:

But at least Tommy didn't lose in straight sets!;)

So for me, that's an accomplishment considering the outcome.. and considering Rafa lost in 4, right?

Stelle
10-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Gulbis for sure, even though i have backed him and he is my all time favourite tennis player :D

Although he showed some promise in the asian swing taking Tsonga to 3 tie breaks but he should have won in straights and in Tokyo where he finally made it past the second round. :) YAY! Can't wait for Stockholm now! Hopefully he pulls off something big :D

ad-out
10-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Safin - choking from TWO breaks up THREE times in ONE month is beyond disappointing.

This. I was really hoping for a great year for Marat given that it is his last.. 3 more tournaments to go so maybe things will turn around for him!

Also, I was hoping Gulbis would have a good year, too. Of course he is still young and has time.

SetSampras
10-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Rafa hasnt been much of a disappointment this year IMO anyways. He won a HC slam at the AO. Most people thought he never would have.. Overplayed the season, was back on court in 10 days after playing possibly the most grueling back to back matches ever at the AO (stupid on his part). He was injured for RG and Wimby. And he came back at the worst opportune time really. Faster HC season where he doesnt see a whole lot of success anyways but he did reach the semis of the USO and made the finals of SHanghai. So all in all not bad for Rafa for what it was not being healthy almost all year. Hes never going to be a great fast hc player.

Certinfy
10-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Rafa Nadal, there was so much hype saying that he could do the calendar GS this year, and all the other shit people were talking about.

SetSampras
10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Rafa Nadal, there was so much hype saying that he could do the calendar GS this year, and all the other shit people were talking about.

He was injured.. What can u do? He may possibly have done so if he could have stayed healthy and not been so stupid with his overscheduling and put strict emphasis on the more important tourneys instead of everyone tournament on the schedule. He loaded up in the beginning of the year with tourneys and it cost him the rest of the year

I think Djoker and Murray have been more disappointments than Rafa because they have been pretty much healthy for the entire season.

Certinfy
10-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Well fair enough then i guess. :)

Well i have to agree with u that both Murray and Djokovic have been bigger disappointments this year.

Chiakifug
10-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Gillou.

leng jai
10-19-2009, 11:14 PM

His RG run was definitely overrated, which is expected when lead Fedclown 2 sets to love. He had no business winning that match and was lucky to win the first two sets anyway. Wimbledon was extremely impressive however.

Safin has obviously been disappointing this year, hes barely done anything noteworthy and choked away several matches. Ah well, I'll always have his AO devastations on DVD.

Ozone
10-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Murray, Gulbis, Safin, Lopez, Blake, Baghdatis

DJ Soup
10-19-2009, 11:55 PM
rafael is a big disappointment this year.......he would have given himself an outside chance of the calender slam had he not gone to some of the useless events in the early season to destroy his knees........

ever heard of this guy Del Potro?

The calendar slam wasn't going to happen anyway

Clay Death
10-20-2009, 12:32 AM
ever heard of this guy Del Potro?

The calendar slam wasn't going to happen anyway

you are still comparing a player who has been forced out of the sport no less than 3 times this year on account of injuries and who is out of form, out of his usual level of fitness, and out of confidence to someone who was all of those things at the u.s. open.

calender slam is never easy but roland garros and wimbledon was within reach if he had not gone crazy with the schedule.

Baghdatis#1
10-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Baghdatis. He got injured again, and then came back, and got injured, and then another time!
But now he's winning again :D

NYMIKE
10-20-2009, 04:39 AM
For those that say Safin there is a reason why the dude is retiring.

Leo
10-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Youzhny.

TennisMindCamp
10-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Blake. I thought he'd do much much better. :(

Clay Death
10-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Blake. I thought he'd do much much better. :(

blake`s level has been dropping for several months now. he should be out of top 30 before long at the current rate.

nastoff
10-21-2009, 05:14 AM
Baghdatis, it looked like he would make a comeback after his good showing in the Aussie, then collapsed psysically and ended up playing challengers.

It's getting better for him though, maybe he'll make a comeback next year. His level is of a top 20 player.

Kunitsyn had a crap year but nobody cares about him anyway. Dimitrov was so hyped up but hasn't delivered yet, still plenty of time.

Gulbis established himself in mug level after the initial hype.

jcempire
10-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Roddick blow out his biggest chance to win his first Wim. Meanwhile, Nadal got his first AO, FED got his first FO, and DELP got his first USO. Roddick unluck again

nastoff
10-21-2009, 05:47 AM
You can blame it on "luck" but he had a pretty good year and his showing at Wimbledon was incredible. If he doesn't achieve a GS next year he will not do it ever again, I feel.

jcempire
10-21-2009, 05:50 AM
You can blame it on "luck" but he had a pretty good year and his showing at Wimbledon was incredible. If he doesn't achieve a GS next year he will not do it ever again, I feel.

yes, He miss biggest chance in his career.

incredible..... For a guy like Roddick by reaching Final which not means a lot. Only title could ......make it incredible

nastoff
10-21-2009, 06:00 AM
yeah but he deserved the title in my eyes. It looks like he's missing something, Del Potro for example was in a similar dog fight against Federer but he managed to pull it through. Nadal does it consistently also. Roddick is missing that extra push that would allow him to grab the opportunities when they appear to him, he comes really close and then he just can't do it. And he was 15-40 in the 5th against Federer too.

But to hold so many times under pressure of losing the match was just incredible for me.

Mimi
10-21-2009, 08:36 AM
yeah but he deserved the title in my eyes. It looks like he's missing something, Del Potro for example was in a similar dog fight against Federer but he managed to pull it through. Nadal does it consistently also. Roddick is missing that extra push that would allow him to grab the opportunities when they appear to him, he comes really close and then he just can't do it. And he was 15-40 in the 5th against Federer too.

But to hold so many times under pressure of losing the match was just incredible for me.

poor roddick would lament forever with his failiure to win the 2nd set which he was leading 5:1 in the tiebreakers ......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sophocles
10-21-2009, 09:51 AM
It's hard not to feel sorry for Roddick & even though Federer is my favourite player, I shouldn't have minded if Roddick had won Wimbledon this year. But there are just too many players good enough to counter his game.

jcempire
10-21-2009, 01:05 PM

I through he would get out with the title when he got 1st set on hand and 5-2 in Second Set Tie-break

Clay Death
10-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Roddick blow out his biggest chance to win his first Wim. Meanwhile, Nadal got his first AO, FED got his first FO, and DELP got his first USO. Roddick unluck again

that is a good point and roddick may think about that 2nd set forever. i have read somewhere that vilas was never really able to get over that loss (1982) to wilander at the french open out of his mind. it was likely his only chance for a slam and also to finally get that monkey off his back. how many can say that they have beaten Fed at a wimby final?

johhny mac still thinks and talks about that loss (1984) to lendl at roland garros.

that said, to me the greatest tragedy this year is all that clay monster lost. he had so much going for him after that australian open. he had finally become the dominant force in the sport and he managed to lose it all in a matter of 3 months.

Start da Game
10-21-2009, 04:27 PM
that is a good point and roddick may think about that 2nd set forever. i have read somewhere that vilas was never able to get that loss (1982) to wilander at the french open out of his mind. it was likely his only chance for a slam and also to finally get that monkey off his back. how many can say that they have beaten Fed at a wimby final?

johhny mac still thinks and talks about that loss (1984) to lendl at roland garros.

that said, to me the greatest tragedy this year is all that clay monster lost. he had so much going for him after that australian open. he had finally become the dominant force in the sport and he managed to lose it all in a matter of 3 months.

roddick has always been a mental patient going into his matches against federer.......i think before that i never saw a player losing a set after leading 6-2 in the breaker and holding 4 set points.......at least when was the last time that happened in a slam final or even a slam match? it's going to hurt him for a long time and he has only himself to blame.......

clay monster is an even bigger culprit.......normally, players worry about their opponents and think of devising strategies against them.......but rafa has to worry about his body........sometimes, it gets to a level that you tend to think if this player knows what he is capable of when he is fit and just hitting his routine forehands and backhands........

Clay Death
10-21-2009, 04:36 PM
roddick has always been a mental patient going into his matches against federer.......i think before that i never saw a player losing a set after leading 6-2 in the breaker and holding 4 set points.......at least when was the last time that happened in a slam final or even a slam match? it's going to hurt him for a long time and he has only himself to blame.......

clay monster is an even bigger culprit.......normally, players worry about their opponents and think of devising strategies against them.......but rafa has to worry about his body........sometimes, it gets to a level that you tend to think if this player knows what he is capable of when he is fit and just hitting his routine forehands and backhands........

affirmative. no matter how you slice it roddick had no business losing that 2nd set. even a mental midget with the kind of a serve he has would have found a way to win that set and probably the match.

that may sting forever.

Start da Game
10-21-2009, 04:40 PM
affirmative. no matter how you slice it roddick had no business losing that 2nd set. even a mental midget with the kind of a serve he has would have found a way to win that set and probably the match.

that may sting forever.

you were talking of vilas.......what is the 'monkey' that you are referring to? vilas already had 2 FOs by then, no?

Dini
10-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Fed never got credit for producing the big bombs when it mattered the most in that 2nd set breaker. Don't get me wrong Roddick choked in that set, but had Federer not produced two big serves at 3*-6 (one of them an ace) he would not have been in a position to take advantage of Andy's shank at 5-6*.

Here it is again:

vJ3LdqQudDI

Roddick was defensive in that first set point, but Federer came up with the backhand flick - a winner.

I've seen worse cases of players choking against Fed, but this time it was magnified because of the occasion, the match (final) and Andy's generally awesome play during that fortnight.

Burrow
10-21-2009, 05:30 PM
As usual, people overrating Roddick's standard of play at Wimbledon, people said that Roddick is back to his best again and he has done nothing since.

SetSampras
10-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Fed never got credit for producing the big bombs when it mattered the most in that 2nd set breaker. Don't get me wrong Roddick choked in that set, but had Federer not produced two big serves at 3*-6 (one of them an ace) he would not have been in a position to take advantage of Andy's shank at 5-6*.

Here it is again:

vJ3LdqQudDI

Roddick was defensive in that first set point, but Federer came up with the backhand flick - a winner.

I've seen worse cases of players choking against Fed, but this time it was magnified because of the occasion, the match (final) and Andy's generally awesome play during that fortnight.

Fed should NOT be allowed 50 freakin aces, Roger is a good server but Andy's abysmal return game made it much better than it really was. Nadal would never have allowed that. Tale the tape was Roddick not capitalizing in the to go 2 sets to 1 and having a pretty piss poor return game especially return of serve.. You never sensed much pressure on Roger cause you knew he knew Andy would fall apart like always

Dini
10-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Fed should NOT be allowed 50 freakin aces, Roger is a good server but Andy's abysmal return game made it much better than it really was. Nadal would never have allowed that. Tale the tape was Roddick not capitalizing in the to go 2 sets to 1 and having a pretty piss poor return game especially return of serve.. You never sensed much pressure on Roger cause you knew he knew Andy would fall apart like always

What a way to simplify things. :worship:

Clay Death
10-21-2009, 08:40 PM

and who the hell brought Fed into this. i thought the talk was about the big disappointments for 2009.

why must every single conversation here end up being about Fed?

out_here_grindin
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Because Fed was a dissapointment as well. Only 2 slams is abyssmal for him

Certinfy
10-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes Roddick choked that 2nd set, by what surprises me the most is how he still had the mentality to even get the 3rd set into a TB and win the 4th set. Most players would have given up after losing the 2nd set like that or if not then probably after the 3rd set.

Vida
10-21-2009, 10:13 PM
concurred. roddick's impossibly weak return lost him that match.

Arkulari
10-21-2009, 10:38 PM
and who the hell brought Fed into this. i thought the talk was about the big disappointments for 2009.

why must every single conversation here end up being about Fed?

CD: a LOT of people is obsessed with Roger in this forum and most threads end up being about him :unsure: :lol:

I don't waste much time talking about players I don't like, but again the mind of the average MTF Tard is a complex labyrinth of delusional hate and utter ignorance about the game :shrug:

Dini
10-21-2009, 10:53 PM

Federer was mentioned, CD, because of the above statement. 3 of the first 4 set points in the second set TB were saved by winners (one backhand half volley, service winner, ace). It wasn't easy to close out the tie break when all the pressure rested on the last SP. On the most important set point, however, Roddick faltered. Other than that it was mainly Federer being solid when the pressure was on, and it definitely was on at 2-6*. Roddick's forehand was a big one on the first set point, but as the commentator said it was a flash of something that had not been seen earlier for large patches in the match from Federer to keep him in it.

Andy looking back may not have as many nightmares as some like to think. The standing ovation for his amazing performance at Wimbledon is something he said he'd never forget. Sure it hurt a ton at the time, but he should be proud of his achievement and his consistency. I don't think he'll consider 2009 as a disappointment of a year by any means. He's unlucky to only have one title this year.

Sapeod
10-21-2009, 10:55 PM
WTF has this gotta do with big disappointments of 2009? Federer hasn't been a disappointed this year and should not be discussed in here :wavey:

Oh and Federer's serve his great. He regularly serves over 10, maybe 15 aces in every match at GS level and sometimes MS and MM level.

Vida
10-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Federer was mentioned, CD, because of the above statement. 3 of the first 4 set points in the second set TB were saved by winners (one backhand half volley, service winner, ace). It wasn't easy to close out the tie break when all the pressure rested on the last SP. On the most important set point, however, Roddick faltered. Other than that it was mainly Federer being solid when the pressure was on, and it definitely was on at 2-6*. Roddick's forehand was a big one on the first set point, but as the commentator said it was a flash of something that had not been seen earlier for large patches in the match from Federer to keep him in it.

Andy looking back may not have as many nightmares as some like to think. The standing ovation for his amazing performance at Wimbledon is something he said he'd never forget. Sure it hurt a ton at the time, but he should be proud of his achievement and his consistency. I don't think he'll consider 2009 as a disappointment of a year by any means. He's unlucky to only have one title this year.

there is absolutely no doubt that roddick is looking at wimbledon with huge disappointment. he has an in-built ambition to be a multi-slam winner (that keeps him going all these years at such a level), and one can only imagine how much he has suffered from a fact he lost so many slam finals to federer.

it wasnt like that 5,6 years ago. he is ex no.1 players and who felt that, cant be satisfied with anything less. frankly its amazing he has so much drive despite the reality he faces.

his poor form since wimbledon is a direct result of that final match.

Dini
10-21-2009, 11:12 PM
there is absolutely no doubt that roddick is looking at wimbledon with huge disappointment. he has an in-built ambition to be a multi-slam winner (that keeps him going all these years at such a level), and one can only imagine how much he has suffered from a fact he lost so many slam finals to federer.

it wasnt like that 5,6 years ago. he is ex no.1 players and who felt that, cant be satisfied with anything less. frankly its amazing he has so much drive despite the reality he faces.

his poor form since wimbledon is a direct result of that final match.

I don't think Wimbledon 2009 was his final chance though, especially not to a guy with his attitude as you say. His ambitions are bigger than a colossal disappointment. A guy with his serve and attacking game on grass especially should not be counted out. After all he's made 3 Wimbledon finals and won other warm up grass tourneys. And who is to say that he won't win another USO? I don't buy all this one trick-pony stuff.

Wimbledon was a huge blow and he even had his chances in the 5th set (2 consecutive break points). But I read somewhere (probably in the MTF WTF thread) that he would be happy to be back in London because of his vivid memories of the support he got from the crowd following the difficult loss. Going back there might give him the little bit that's missing from his game right now.

Overall this year he shouldn't consider it a disappointment. He'll look back at Wimby with regret perhaps, but I don't think he has "nightmares" over it. I just get the impression that he's a really optimistic guy and a never-give up kind of person. Sure losing so many finals to Fed hurts, but he does give it his all. When your best is not enough, what do you do? I think Roddick would answer something along the lines of: "try again".

Clay Death
10-22-2009, 12:08 AM

well we have seen roddick`s performance since wimby and it has been lacking to be honest with you nadine. i think he has to hurt like hell inside.

i gave 2 examples of where players never ever got over certain losses: vilas never ever really got over his loss to wilander at roland garros. johhny mac is on record for saying that it still hurts that he lost that match.

i believe them both as i have read a quite a bit about those 2 matches.

Clay Death
10-22-2009, 12:20 AM
you were talking of vilas.......what is the 'monkey' that you are referring to? vilas already had 2 FOs by then, no?

i was saying that roddick was ever so close to taking that elusive wimby title as well as close to getting that monkey off his back.

the "monkey off his back" was to beat Fed at a slam final.

Start da Game
10-22-2009, 02:26 AM
i was saying that roddick was ever so close to taking that elusive wimby title as well as close to getting that monkey off his back.

the "monkey off his back" was to beat Fed at a slam final.

oh i see.......so vilas hardly ever beat wilander.......i din't know that.......

Start da Game
10-22-2009, 02:30 AM
well we have seen roddick`s performance since wimby and it has been lacking to be honest with you nadine. i think he has to hurt like hell inside.

i gave 2 examples of where players never ever got over certain losses: vilas never ever really got over his loss to wilander at roland garros. johhny mac is on record for saying that it still hurts that he lost that match.

i believe them both as i have read a quite a bit about those 2 matches.

roddick is hurting damn bad inside.......even djokovic, after that devastating madrid defeat could never regroup his mental strength.......

but i do feel that, game-wise roddick has made a few improvements this year under the guidance of larry stefankie........he is volleying better and hitting that backhand much better........i still find it hard to believe that he outplayed federer for 80% of the match and still managed to lose it.......

Clay Death
10-22-2009, 02:41 AM
roddick is hurting damn bad inside.......even djokovic, after that devastating madrid defeat could never regroup his mental strength.......

but i do feel that, game-wise roddick has made a few improvements this year under the guidance of larry stefankie........he is volleying better and hitting that backhand much better........i still find it hard to believe that he outplayed federer for 80% of the match and still managed to lose it.......

people here at mtf probably have the wrong impression about me when it comes to roddick. i like the guy off the court. he is a great guy and he has given back to the sport.

that said, this was a chance of a lifetime. it wont come again. he has made improvements but so have other players. Fed is not that easy to beat at a slam and some of the others are making gains as well.

d-pot and the clay monster will make some serious noise in 2010. i expect murray and djokovic to bounce back as well.

SetSampras
10-22-2009, 04:52 AM
WTF has this gotta do with big disappointments of 2009? Federer hasn't been a disappointed this year and should not be discussed in here :wavey:

Oh and Federer's serve his great. He regularly serves over 10, maybe 15 aces in every match at GS level and sometimes MS and MM level.

cause someone posted a video of the match.. Thats why.. I was just commenting on it. Obviously Fed has not been a disappointment this year. 2 slams, 2 slam finals, 2 masters and back at number 1.

As for who was disappointment this year.. Hell the list is endless: Djoker, Murray, Nadal(arguably cause of his fucking stupidity of scheduling), Safin, Nalbandian, Tsonga.. the list goes on and on on....................

Clay Death
10-22-2009, 04:53 AM
cause someone posted a video of the match.. Thats why.. I was just commenting on it. Obviously Fed has not been a disappointment this year. 2 slams, 2 slam finals, 2 masters and back at number 1.

As for who was disappointment this year.. Hell the list is endless: Djoker, Murray, Nadal(arguably cause of his fucking stupidity of scheduling), Safin, Nalbandian, Tsonga.. the list goes on and on on....................

agreed. that list really is endless for this year.

Bargearse
10-22-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm going to say Gulbis (again). :yawn: He has been a turd this year.:o

Certinfy
10-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Well Roddick said he hopes his name will go down as a Wimbledon Champion, so i think that's good enough for me to think he's going to give it all he's got next year.

Voo de Mar
10-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Second player who disappoined me this year the most is Bolelli. Last year I thought he would be the first Italian in Top 20 since Renzo Furlan (22.04.1996).

Certinfy
10-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Talking about Italians, Seppi is another person that's disappointed me this year :sad:

Sunset of Age
10-23-2009, 02:05 AM
Talking about Italians, Seppi is another person that's disappointed me this year :sad:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/CG_Brouwer/approval_sign.jpg

:angel:

leng jai
10-23-2009, 02:07 AM
KarEn is always disappointing me, does that count?

Clay Death
10-23-2009, 02:26 AM

no. it does not count. all disappointments come from within anyway old sport.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/claydeath/Sparta-3.jpg

Sunset of Age
10-23-2009, 02:33 AM

:smooch: :smooch: :smooch:

:ras:

Clay Death
10-23-2009, 02:54 AM
:smooch: :smooch: :smooch:

:ras:

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/claydeath/india11.jpg

Mimi
10-23-2009, 02:56 AM
Well Roddick said he hopes his name will go down as a Wimbledon Champion, so i think that's good enough for me to think he's going to give it all he's got next year.

I am afraid he has lost has last chance of winning wimby i.e. this year:sad:

Clay Death
10-23-2009, 03:00 AM
I am afraid he has lost has last chance of winning wimby i.e. this year:sad:

i would have to agree. it doesnt get any better than it did this year. it was there for the taking.

fed was a little off as he had to come up 50 aces or so to finish the job. so this was the year to get that elusive wimby title for roddick.

Mimi
10-23-2009, 03:29 AM
i would have to agree. it doesnt get any better than it did this year. it was there for the taking.

fed was a little off as he had to come up 50 aces or so to finish the job. so this was the year to get that elusive wimby title for roddick.
he could only lament for his inability to win the second set when he was leading 5:1 in the tiebreakers for his whole life :sad:

well, not to diss roddick, but i think Rafa is the most mentally tough player now and mostly, its who him who has the mighty will and believe to defeat the king Federer, its not east for others to do so, and also i guess roger is a bit "afraid of" rafa while he has no fears towards poor roddick ...

Sophocles
10-23-2009, 10:57 AM
well, not to diss roddick, but i think Rafa is the most mentally tough player now and mostly, its who him who has the mighty will and believe to defeat the king Federer, its not east for others to do so, and also i guess roger is a bit "afraid of" rafa while he has no fears towards poor roddick ...

Also, Roddick is a dream match-up for Federer, Nadal a nightmare.

Clay Death
10-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Also, Roddick is a dream match-up for Federer, Nadal a nightmare.

not at the moment as far as the clay monster vs fed matchup is concerned. clay monster`s level has taken a big hit this year.

his confidence and his game will return once he is able to pick up titles in monte carlo, barcelona, and rome. it should be on after that.

i am expecting a great year from d-pot, roddick, djokovic, and murray as well in 2010. and to add to the suspense, fed will be right there as well.

Sophocles
10-23-2009, 11:32 AM
not at the moment as far as the clay monster vs fed matchup is concerned. clay monster`s level has taken a big hit this year.

Sure, but in general, he is a nightmare match-up for Federer, & this has more to do with his good head-to-head than the surprisingly widespread idea that he's somehow the only player who WANTS to beat Federer. Does anybody believe that Roddick didn't WANT to win that Wimbledon final?

Clay Death
10-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Sure, but in general, he is a nightmare match-up for Federer, & this has more to do with his good head-to-head than the surprisingly widespread idea that he's somehow the only player who WANTS to beat Federer. Does anybody believe that Roddick didn't WANT to win that Wimbledon final?

well you saw what happened in madrid on clay.

so once again, nadal does have to be fully healthy and fully fit or fed can and will spank him.

Sophocles
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
well you saw what happened in madrid on clay.

so once again, nadal does have to be fully healthy and fully fit or fed can and will spank him.

Of course. Federer is good enough to be able sometimes to outplay even his most nightmarish match-ups, particularly when said match-up is less than 100%. Though whether anybody is ever 100% is another question.

Ad Wim
10-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Tough question, I think I expected a lot more of Tsonga and Cilic this year. At least that they would both be top 10.
I think Ferrer is also very disappointing with not 1 QF in a big tournament.

And ofcourse, I also expected more of Gulbis...

Start da Game
10-26-2009, 12:15 PM
i don't believe in bad match-ups........you are pitted against a player and you have to beat him, simple as that.......if you can't, it means that you are simply not good enough to beat that particular player........

players like blake, youzhny, tsonga, gonzalez were(are) considered bad match-ups for nadal, but rafael has succeeded in spanking them over and over on hardcourts once he got the measure of their games.......federer has failed to implement a winning strategy despite reading rafa's game for years.......it's not(never) about whether or not a player is a bad match-up to you, it's all about how you handle your opponents.......

delpotro is considered a terrible match-up for nadal, but it doesn't count much in my book, he is just another opponent of nadal and has to be dealt with.......if rafa continues to lose to him, delpotro will be the superior player between the two IMO.......

habibko
10-26-2009, 12:33 PM
i don't believe in bad match-ups........you are pitted against a player and you have to beat him, simple as that.......if you can't, it means that you are simply not good enough to beat that particular player........

players like blake, youzhny, tsonga, gonzalez were(are) considered bad match-ups for nadal, but rafael has succeeded in spanking them over and over on hardcourts once he got the measure of their games.......federer has failed to implement a winning strategy despite reading rafa's game for years.......it's not(never) about whether or not a player is a bad match-up to you, it's all about how you handle your opponents.......

delpotro is considered a terrible match-up for nadal, but it doesn't count much in my book, he is just another opponent of nadal and has to be dealt with.......if rafa continues to lose to him, delpotro will be the superior player between the two IMO.......

of course you are entitled to your opinion, but it's absolutely wrong.

match-up is a basic fact in tennis, and it doesn't mean much in terms of who is the overall better player, Simon never lost to Federer and beaten him in the only 2 times they met, can you say with a straight face that Simon is a better or superior player than Federer??!

if Del Potro kept defeating Nadal and eventually turning the H2H to his way, yet never winning any more GS titles, how can that make him the superior player i.e. better player? it doesn't make him that, it only means that he is able to handle that particular matchup well with the weapons he has, and he will most likely beat Nadal the next time they meet, but it won't make him an all time great.

Sophocles
10-26-2009, 12:34 PM

If tennis were boxing, you would probably be right. The greatest rivalry in recent memory - Ali-Frazier - involved 3 fights, and in 2 of them the world title was on the line. Ali won 2 out of 3, he's probably better. But tennis isn't boxing. It's a sport with tournaments & rankings, and players face a far wider variety of opponents, & many of those opponents numerous times. Every player, however good, has a losing record against somebody. Sampras has a losing record against Krajicek. Krajicek has a losing record against Agassi. So by your "logic", Krajicek is better than Sampras & Agassi better than both. YET Agassi has a losing record against Sampras. (Substitute Federer, Nadal, Nalbandian if you like.) Moral? YOU CAN'T USE HEAD-TO-HEADS TO WORK OUT WHO IS BETTER THAN WHOM. You use the standard measures: slams won, rankings, etc. And when you do, you find many players have losing head-to-heads with their inferiors. The most likely reason is that these inferior players are bad match-ups. The best player isn't the player with no bad match-ups. It's the player who deals best with the rest of the tour as a whole.

habibko
10-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Sophocles said the same thing in another way, all roads lead to Rome..

Start da Game
10-26-2009, 12:50 PM
of course you are entitled to your opinion, but it's absolutely wrong.

match-up is a basic fact in tennis, and it doesn't mean much in terms of who is the overall better player, Simon never lost to Federer and beaten him in the only 2 times they met, can you say with a straight face that Simon is a better or superior player than Federer??!

if Del Potro kept defeating Nadal and eventually turning the H2H to his way, yet never winning any more GS titles, how can that make him the superior player i.e. better player? it doesn't make him that, it only means that he is able to handle that particular matchup well with the weapons he has, and he will most likely beat Nadal the next time they meet, but it won't make him an all time great.

you are confused........did i say "overall"? it's between the two players and their matches only.......simply, nadal has been the better(superior) player in their matches........i don't buy that bad match-up garbage........same with nadal-delpotro or anyone else........

Start da Game
10-26-2009, 12:52 PM
If tennis were boxing, you would probably be right. The greatest rivalry in recent memory - Ali-Frazier - involved 3 fights, and in 2 of them the world title was on the line. Ali won 2 out of 3, he's probably better. But tennis isn't boxing. It's a sport with tournaments & rankings, and players face a far wider variety of opponents, & many of those opponents numerous times. Every player, however good, has a losing record against somebody. Sampras has a losing record against Krajicek. Krajicek has a losing record against Agassi. So by your "logic", Krajicek is better than Sampras & Agassi better than both. YET Agassi has a losing record against Sampras. (Substitute Federer, Nadal, Nalbandian if you like.) Moral? YOU CAN'T USE HEAD-TO-HEADS TO WORK OUT WHO IS BETTER THAN WHOM. You use the standard measures: slams won, rankings, etc. And when you do, you find many players have losing head-to-heads with their inferiors. The most likely reason is that these inferior players are bad match-ups. The best player isn't the player with no bad match-ups. It's the player who deals best with the rest of the tour as a whole.

well, i have cleared it for you in the post above.......and just for information, krajicek never dominated sampras the way nadal did federer.......it's not even remotely close.......

Dini
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
you are confused........did i say "overall"? it's between the two players and their matches only.......simply, nadal has been the better(superior) player in their matches........i don't buy that bad match-up garbage........same with nadal-delpotro or anyone else........

Del Potro has won the last 3 meetings against Nadal, does that make JMDP a better player than Nadal?! :confused:

Nalbandian has a winning record against Nadal, does that make Nalbandian a better or a more accomplished player? :confused:

Certinfy
10-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Del Potro has won the last 3 meetings against Nadal, does that make JMDP a better player than Nadal?! :confused:Yes.

Dini
10-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Yes.

:lol: Of course you'd say that. :p

:secret: In your dreams maybe.

Sophocles
10-26-2009, 01:00 PM

Of course, & if those 20 matches had been the ONLY 20 matches these 2 had ever played, we'd have to say Nadal was a better player than Federer. Sadly, however, they are a tiny percentage of the matches each has played. Overall & so far, Federer has had a better career & has been a better player. If you can't admit that, I can't help you.

Sophocles
10-26-2009, 01:04 PM
and just for information, krajicek never dominated sampras the way nadal did federer.......it's not even remotely close.......

Strictly speaking this is irrelevant. It's also untrue. Krajicek won 6 of their 1st 8 meetings. Precisely what Nadal did against Federer. And anyway, 13-7 with 9 wins on one surface & many of those close is hardly domination. Domination is Borg against Gerulaitis.

habibko
10-26-2009, 01:06 PM

I know what you are trying to say, don't worry, Nadal will never be as good as Federer, nor better and certainly not superior.

Start da Game
10-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Strictly speaking this is irrelevant. It's also untrue. Krajicek won 6 of their 1st 8 meetings. Precisely what Nadal did against Federer. And anyway, 13-7 with 9 wins on one surface & many of those close is hardly domination. Domination is Borg against Gerulaitis.

domination

nadal def federer 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 french open 2005

nadal def federer 1-6, 6-1, 6-4, 7-6(4) french open 2006

federer def nadal 6-0, 7-6(5), 6-7(2), 6-3 wimbledon 2006

nadal def federer 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 french open 2007

federer def nadal 7-6(7), 4-6, 7-6(3), 2-6, 6-2 wimbledon 2007

nadal def federer 6-1, 6-3, 6-0 french open 2008

nadal def federer 6-4, 6-4, 6-7(5), 6-7(8), 9-7 wimbledon 2008

nadal def federer 7-5, 3-6, 7-6(3), 3-6, 6-2 aus open 2009

Start da Game
10-26-2009, 02:30 PM
I know what you are trying to say, don't worry, Nadal will never be as good as Federer, nor better and certainly not superior.

23 yrs, 6 slams (all achieved in complete field), 15 masters shields.......federer cannot even dream of those numbers.......not everyone gets old agassi, hewitts, roddicks in slam semis and finals........

habibko
10-26-2009, 02:36 PM
23 yrs, 6 slams (all achieved in complete field), 15 masters shields.......federer cannot even dream of those numbers.......not everyone gets old agassi, hewitts, roddicks in slam semis and finals........

so now you will argue that Nadal is superior to Federer? :haha: :haha: :haha:

ok I give up, you are hopeless.

Dini
10-26-2009, 02:39 PM

Why is that funny Habib?

habibko
10-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Why is that funny Habib?

are you serious?

Dini
10-26-2009, 02:46 PM
are you serious?

Why do you ask?

Start da Game
10-26-2009, 02:50 PM

i don't need to argue.......nadal is just better for his age and accomplishments and the opponents he had to overcome in his victories........the mention of head to head has nothing to do with our discussion of who's superior to who.......i just showed you that nadal has been a better player than fed in their matches.......

nadal beats everyone and no one could assert themselves on nadal, the way nadal did on federer.......

habibko
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
i don't need to argue.......nadal is just better for his age and accomplishments and the opponents he had to overcome in his victories........the mention of head to head has nothing to do with our discussion of who's superior to who.......i just showed you that nadal has been a better player than fed in their matches.......

nadal beats everyone and no one could assert themselves on nadal, the way nadal did on federer.......

and yet you complain about the Fed worshippers all the time, ah the irony...

we will talk when Nadal has 16 GS titles, kthxbai.

out_here_grindin
10-26-2009, 02:56 PM

Del Potro says hello

Dini
10-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Let me guess. Nadal has beaten the combo of Djokovic/Murray and then Federer to his titles whereas Federer has never beaten the combo of Murray/Djokovic and then Nadal to any of his titles. Therefore, Nadal's titles are more valid and have more substance than Fed's. He's only beaten mugs (Roddick, Davydenko, Hewitt, Nalbandian, Safin, Agassi) to win his Grand Slams in a very weak era. This Fed is a fraud to tennis and his luck is never ending. And hence 6 is the new 15.

Am I doing it right?

Goldenoldie
10-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Let me guess. Nadal has beaten the combo of Djokovic/Murray and then Federer to his titles whereas Federer has never beaten the combo of Murray/Djokovic and then Nadal to any of his titles. Therefore, Nadal's titles are more valid and have more substance than Fed's. He's only beaten mugs (Roddick, Davydenko, Hewitt, Nalbandian, Safin, Agassi) to win his Grand Slams in a very weak era. This Fed is a fraud to tennis and his luck is never ending. And hence 6 is the new 15.

Am I doing it right?

Sounds good to me ;)

Sunset of Age
10-26-2009, 03:12 PM

Am I doing it right?

I see you have finally seen The Light, Nads. :worship:
R=FK will be proud of you. :p

ShotmaKer
10-26-2009, 03:20 PM

Am I doing it right?

Congratulations, you should receive your MTF diploma within a few days ;)