Players retiring as a form of protest? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Players retiring as a form of protest?

Roddickominator
10-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Everyone is retiring from this late-season event in Shanghai....could it be that this is their form of protest for a long, unforgiving season?

Discuss.

Chris-swede
10-15-2009, 09:43 AM
do not know. Murray and Fed are not even there!

fsoica
10-15-2009, 09:44 AM
i guess u badly need the prize for the worst post ever ...

Dini
10-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Tennis has become a much more physical sport than it was in the 80's and 90's. They should just cancel the season after the USO. :lol: Paris masters is notable for its many withdrawals and retirements by top players - clearly playing so many matches early on in the year takes it toll at the end.

TheMightyFed
10-15-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't know what's behind but this is a huge waste of money and of time for many people.
I think the players are just tired, they want to go home and the empty seats don't help. They might say to themselves "what the hell am I doing here ?".
Wrong timing, wrong event promotion, ATP is wrong.

fsoica
10-15-2009, 09:48 AM
anyway, my bet is boredo will not finish his match against nadull a.k.a. the pig

Har-Tru
10-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Season is way too long. Nothing new.

Nacho
10-15-2009, 10:07 AM
this is getting ridiculous :spit:

Federer - withdrew (fatigue)
Murray - withdrew (wrist injury)

Zverev - retired in R1 (fell on floor, hurt his wrist)
Acasuso - retired in R1

Del Potro - retired in R2 (wrist injury)
Roddick - retired in R2 (knee injury)
Haas - retired in R2 (shoulder injury)

Wawrinka - retired in R3 (hip problem)
Monfils - retired in R3 (?)

Only 12 players left, who's next?

paseo
10-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Well, there are players that benefit from this. They need the money and/or the ranking points. So, it's not all that bad..
Nadal,Djokovic, Soderling, Davydenko are top players who also benefiting from this.

whattheheck
10-15-2009, 10:23 AM
They just want to rest up for the Tour Finals.

Clydey
10-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Players retire because they want people to know that they are losing due to injury. It's the most obvious means of indicating to the public that you are not at your best. There are obviously legitimate retirements. However, most retirements are merely a means of getting in an excuse in early.

I respect players who see a match through to the end unless they absolutely have to retire. I'm not exactly a huge fan of Federer, but I respect the fact that he's not one to call the trainer easily, nor is he one to retire lightly. The same goes for Murray. You won't see either player calling the trainer or retiring as anything other than a last resort.

zcess81
10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I don't know what's behind but this is a huge waste of money and of time for many people.
I think the players are just tired, they want to go home and the empty seats don't help. They might say to themselves "what the hell am I doing here ?".
Wrong timing, wrong event promotion, ATP is wrong.

There are at least 2 million reasons why they are there. Someone offers you 500k or a million (unless you're Roger or Rafa), you'd be pretty stupid not to take it. So if anyone outside Top 5 retires it's nothing to do with them not wanting to play in China...they're simply injured.

zcess81
10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Players retire because they want people to know that they are losing due to injury. It's the most obvious means of indicating to the public that you are not at your best. There are obviously legitimate retirements. However, most retirements are merely a means of getting in an excuse in early.

I respect players who see a match through to the end unless they absolutely have to retire. I'm not exactly a huge fan of Federer, but I respect the fact that he's not one to call the trainer easily, nor is he one to retire lightly. The same goes for Murray. You won't see either player calling the trainer or retiring as anything other than a last resort.

Unless you're Andy Murray, right?

Clydey
10-15-2009, 11:12 AM

Care to point out a few of his retirements for me?

zcess81
10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Care to point out a few of his retirements for me?

I wasn't refering to his retirement record, I was refering the fact that most of his gs/important losses are followed by some injury claim/excuse (most notably AO and USO).

JolánGagó
10-15-2009, 11:25 AM
I wasn't refering to his retirement record, I was refering the fact that most of his gs/important losses are followed by some injury claim/excuse (most notably AO and USO).

your avy is stinky crap.

Clydey
10-15-2009, 11:26 AM
I wasn't refering to his retirement record, I was refering the fact that most of his gs/important losses are followed by some injury claim (most notably AO and USO).

In both of the cases you mentioned, the injuries were reported before he lost. They weren't made up to explain a loss. He was still in the tournament when both injuries were reported.

And don't try and worm out of what you said. You specifically highlighted the sentence regarding players retiring. You were referring to his retirement record, but you didn't properly think it through. You didn't realise that Murray has only retired, off the top of my head, once in his entire career. And that was the wrist injury against Volandri, which kept him out for 3 months.

CrossCourt13
10-15-2009, 11:27 AM
A lot of them are just stupid when it comes to their scheduling.
Who forced Monfils to play 4 weeks in a row on 2 different continents especially knowing he is pretty prone to injuries and fatigue?
The likes of Nadal, Murray, Ferrer, Simon, Monfils are bound to be fatigued and prone to injuries more simply cause of their playing styles.
They often play tournaments they dont have to only to get the prize money and it's their choice but don't bitch about it then.

Federer and Nadal both complain about the season being too long and will start the year off playing some egzo in Azia?
Most of the top guys make enough money in their career to live comfortably after they are through, so is a 10-11 working months a year for about 10 years really that much comparing it to the benefits and money they get out of it?

I don't think so, stop wining and play, you're payed more than enough to do just that.

zcess81
10-15-2009, 11:29 AM
:yeah:In both of the cases you mentioned, the injuries were reported before he lost. They weren't made up to explain a loss. He was still in the tournament when both injuries were reported.

And don't try and worm out of what you said. You specifically highlighted the sentence regarding players retiring. You were referring to his retirement record, but you didn't properly think it through. You didn't realise that Murray has only retired, off the top of my head, once in his entire career. And that was the wrist injury against Volandri, which kept him out for 3 months.

the injuries were reported before he lost.

I think that is called, as you say "getting in an excuse early". Boy did his homework. :yeah:

zcess81
10-15-2009, 11:33 AM
your avy is stinky crap.

And yours is pure gold.

zcess81
10-15-2009, 11:36 AM
In both of the cases you mentioned, the injuries were reported before he lost. They weren't made up to explain a loss. He was still in the tournament when both injuries were reported.

I know precisely his retirement record since he burst onto the scene as sky sports/media can't talk of anything but Murray every time he plays...but good to know that you can read minds.

Clydey
10-15-2009, 11:42 AM
the injuries were reported before he lost.

I think that is called, as you say "getting in an excuse early". Boy knows how do to his homework.

No, that's not what it's called. In the cases of retirements, these players are already losing their respective matches and then decide to get their excuses in by retiring with an "injury". Murray hadn't even taken to the court in the examples you mentioned. Not only that, but it's not even him who reports the injuries. It's the press.

So let me get your argument straight. As part of some elaborate conspiracy, Murray tipped off the press to report these injuries because he wanted an excuse for his upcoming matches against Verdasco and Cilic, two players he had never lost to in the seniors? Glad we got that straight. You're making a lot of sense today.

And stop pretending that you weren't referring to retirements.

Clydey
10-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I know precisely his retirement record since he burst onto the scene as sky sports/media can't talk of anything but Murray every time he plays...but good to know that you can read minds.

No, you didn't know his retirement record. If you did, you wouldn't have highlighted the following sentence from my post.

However, most retirements are merely a means of getting in an excuse in early.

You then responded:

You realised your mistake and tried to worm your way out of it, once you realised that he's not the type of player who retires because of "general soreness".

zcess81
10-15-2009, 11:51 AM
No, that's not what it's called. In the cases of retirements, these players are already losing their respective matches and then decide to get their excuses in by retiring with an "injury". Murray hadn't even taken to the court in the examples you mentioned. Not only that, but it's not even him who reports the injuries. It's the press.

So let me get your argument straight. As part of some elaborate conspiracy, Murray tipped off the press to report these injuries because he wanted an excuse for his upcoming matches against Verdasco and Cilic, two players he had never lost to in the seniors? Glad we got that straight. You're making a lot of sense today.

And stop pretending that you weren't referring to retirements.

I guess when you truly believe something, then it must be true.

zcess81
10-15-2009, 11:51 AM
No, you didn't know his retirement record. If you did, you wouldn't have highlighted the following sentence from my post.

You then responded:

You realised your mistake and tried to worm your way out of it, once you realised that he's not the type of player who retires because of "general soreness".

You know me so well.

Sunset of Age
10-15-2009, 02:04 PM
A lot of them are just stupid when it comes to their scheduling.
Who forced Monfils to play 4 weeks in a row on 2 different continents especially knowing he is pretty prone to injuries and fatigue?
The likes of Nadal, Murray, Ferrer, Simon, Monfils are bound to be fatigued and prone to injuries more simply cause of their playing styles.
They often play tournaments they dont have to only to get the prize money and it's their choice but don't bitch about it then.

Federer and Nadal both complain about the season being too long and will start the year off playing some egzo in Azia?
Most of the top guys make enough money in their career to live comfortably after they are through, so is a 10-11 working months a year for about 10 years really that much comparing it to the benefits and money they get out of it?

I don't think so, stop wining and play, you're payed more than enough to do just that.

You're making too much sense for MTF mate. :)

tangerine_dream
10-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Shanghai. Where players unofficially protest the long schedule. :scratch:

Aaric
10-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh yeah, Stan for example had his chances to get into quarters of a MS (and having the season he has had is something reeeeeally good) and tought "Let´s retire, i dont care about neither money or ranking points"
:rolleyes:

Jimnik
10-17-2009, 02:02 PM
this is getting ridiculous :spit:

Federer - withdrew (fatigue)
Murray - withdrew (wrist injury)

Zverev - retired in R1 (fell on floor, hurt his wrist)
Acasuso - retired in R1

Del Potro - retired in R2 (wrist injury)
Roddick - retired in R2 (knee injury)
Haas - retired in R2 (shoulder injury)

Wawrinka - retired in R3 (hip problem)
Monfils - retired in R3 (?)

Only 12 players left, who's next?
Ljubicic - retired QF
Lopez - retired SF

Roddickominator
10-17-2009, 10:16 PM
So that's 11 players....sure seems like they're trying to send a message to me.

nanoman
10-17-2009, 10:49 PM
I hope the ATP start an investigation and ban some of those sore losers. Clearly, with the long schedule whining making the rounds, some clowns think they can be excused for retiring when losing.

FedFan_2007
10-17-2009, 11:41 PM
This thread is simply an attempt to de-legitimize Rafa's 16th Masters shield.

Sapeod
10-17-2009, 11:42 PM
This thread is simply an attempt to de-legitimize Rafa's 16th Masters shield.
He hasn't won it yet...

FedFan_2007
10-17-2009, 11:44 PM
He hasn't won it yet...

Oh please, it's a done deal. You can put it in the bank!

Sapeod
10-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Oh please, it's a done deal. You can put it in the bank!
Against Davydenko? Yeah, right. Remember Miami last year?

FedFan_2007
10-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Against Davydenko? Yeah, right. Remember Miami last year?

It's been 18 months since then. Davy looks as good as he did then, and Rafa is more injured and in less form then that time. However, Rafa has vamos-fu going for him. :rocker2:

michellej
10-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Shanghai. Where players unofficially protest the long schedule. :scratch:

I don't usually like Simon Reed on uk Eurosport, but this article is on the mark..

GREED THE REASON FOR BURNOUT

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/simon-reed/article/98/

Burrow
10-18-2009, 12:12 AM
It's been 18 months since then. Davy looks as good as he did then, and Rafa is more injured and in less form then that time. However, Rafa has vamos-fu going for him. :rocker2:

You're 31 years old?

michellej
10-18-2009, 12:45 AM
I hope the ATP start an investigation and ban some of those sore losers. Clearly, with the long schedule whining making the rounds, some clowns think they can be excused for retiring when losing.

Be more realistic about thiese injures,

Read this article by Simon Reed on Eurosport to get his take on injuries/retirements.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/simon-reed/article/98/

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Henry Chinaski
10-18-2009, 03:07 AM
injuries are caused by overtraining. overtraining results from doping.