Sampras: from double to single handed backhand [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sampras: from double to single handed backhand

chammer44
10-14-2009, 04:32 AM
By all accounts Sampras had an awesome double handed backhand as a junior. The best shot in his arsenal, from what I have heard. But his coach had him change to a single, for reasons which I cannot fully understand. I mean... if a guy's a natural double handed hitter, why not let him go with it.

Would Sampras have been the GOAT had he not changed?

Action Jackson
10-14-2009, 04:37 AM
Hard to be one of the best serve volleyers with a double handed backhand.

He won 14 Slams, so yes he was a failure.

GlennMirnyi
10-14-2009, 04:38 AM
Wow, an original thread.

Ah, no... just old news... something even a person in a 30-year coma knows...

leng jai
10-14-2009, 04:40 AM
Maybe he didn't want to look like all the other clowns needing two hands to hit a groundstroke...

chammer44
10-14-2009, 04:40 AM
Hard to be one of the best serve volleyers with a double handed backhand.

He won 14 Slams, so yes he was a failure.

Nice strawman bub. Did I suggest he was a failure?

Sapeod
10-14-2009, 04:41 AM
Sampras had a great one hander, so who really cares?

chammer44
10-14-2009, 04:42 AM
Wow, an original thread.

Ah, no... just old news... something even a person in a 30-year coma knows...

Or someone who just started following tennis recently, moron.

Action Jackson
10-14-2009, 04:44 AM
Nice strawman bub. Did I suggest he was a failure?

Clown thread.

All the information is out there and if you can't understand why he changed his game, here is a hint look at the surfaces he played on.

GlennMirnyi
10-14-2009, 04:48 AM
Or someone who just started following tennis recently, moron.

Have you ever heard of using the search function? Or just doing something else instead of posting :bs:?

chammer44
10-14-2009, 04:52 AM
Have you ever heard of using the search function? Or just doing something else instead of posting :bs:?

Feel free to leave threads which don't interest you.

chammer44
10-14-2009, 04:58 AM
Clown thread.

All the information is out there and if you can't understand why he changed his game, here is a hint look at the surfaces he played on.

You seem to be presuming he had no other alternative but to evolve into a strict serve volley player. I'm saying that with a great double handed backhand(as Agassi himself has called his former shot) he may have been able to develop a different, possibly more potent game. Perhaps he could have won more French titles for the few wimbledons that he would have sacrificed.

Action Jackson
10-14-2009, 05:02 AM
For Sampras to play the attacking game he did on very fast and low bouncing surfaces, then how was he going to do that effectively with a 2 hander.

Dougie
10-14-2009, 05:08 AM
You seem to be presuming he had no other alternative but to evolve into a strict serve volley player. I'm saying that with a great double handed backhand(as Agassi himself has called his former shot) he may have been able to develop a different, possibly more potent game. Perhaps he could have won more French titles for the few wimbledons that he would have sacrificed.

Sampras┤whole game was based on attacking and getting to the net, and his forehand was not exactly clay court shot either. So just by playing with a two-handed backhand probably wouldn┤t have won him any more clay tournaments. One handed backhand served best his whole game style, which would have been the same regardless of the backhand he used. I hope that last sentence makes sense...

chammer44
10-14-2009, 05:08 AM
I was not aware that the two-hander was some kind of impotent clown shot.

Macbrother
10-14-2009, 05:18 AM
Have you read Sampras's book? It might give you some insight. Do you know many S/V players (great ones) with a 2-hander? He was as much trying to model his game after his great predecessors (particularly Laver) as he was trying to be effective.

Given he ended up being one of the best ever I'd say it's a good call. And having a 2-hander isn't exactly going to improve his movement on clay either, will it?

Also, when did this idea evolve that a 2-hander is a better clay shot? Guys like Lendl, Keurten, Gaudio, Vilas, etc did pretty good on clay for themselves.

Action Jackson
10-14-2009, 05:18 AM

Considering he was an attacking player like Stich, Rafter, Edberg, Becker, see there is a common theme there, see if you recognise it.

Nadal is not going to be a ballbasher is he? In other words you don't get that the surfaces at that time and his game was suited to these surfaces and 2 hander would not have helped him at all, hence they changed it and it worked.

SetSampras
10-14-2009, 05:25 AM
I just always wished he would of got up with the times and ditched the old crappy small framed heavy Pro Staff. He may have won a RG title. Too bad.

GlennMirnyi
10-14-2009, 05:31 AM
Feel free to leave threads which don't interest you.

Feel free to use the search function or just press the power button of your computer.

chammer44
10-14-2009, 05:37 AM
Considering he was an attacking player like Stich, Rafter, Edberg, Becker, see there is a common theme there, see if you recognise it.

Nadal is not going to be a ballbasher is he? In other words you don't get that the surfaces at that time and his game was suited to these surfaces and 2 hander would not have helped him at all, hence they changed it and it worked.

Suited? I reject that characterization. Your boxing a genius into a single mode of play. It was consciously fashioned in such a way - against his natural instincts. Without Fischer's intervention a whole different style could have taken shape which accomodated the double handed backhand.

I'm not just saying the same playing style, but with a double hander. I'm saying a root and branch reconstruction.

chammer44
10-14-2009, 05:43 AM
Feel free to use the search function or just press the power button of your computer.

Still here silly boy? I think your moma is calling you for lullabies.

GlennMirnyi
10-14-2009, 06:02 AM
Still here silly boy? I think your moma is calling you for lullabies.

Boy? :lol:

You are the one who seems to be 12, posting something as obvious as this.

Get a clue and go follow football.

chammer44
10-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Boy? :lol:

You are the one who seems to be 12, posting something as obvious as this.

Get a clue and go follow football.

You are a hemorrhoid sir. The most stubborn and untreatable kind.

latso
10-14-2009, 06:27 AM
If we make a poll - who has the most beautiful backhand, there will be no double backhander in the standings, just because it's the ladies' shot and it can't be diferent than any other's.

Who's BH is better - Del Potro's, Murrays' or Djokovic's? They are all the feckin' same, just a solid shot with no class.

On the other side Guga, Gasquet, Roger, Pete, etc. would be in this ranking everytime.

Nice doesn't mean effective but also doesn't mean less effective. You normally slice better when you have it one handed, you have a better reach, better volley.
With the double hander you have stability, better angle for diagonals and that's it.

The champion grows in the head not in one compartment of the game. That's probably why Santoro has been a top level player. What if he had "normal" shots? Would he be a several GSs winner or not?

It doesn' change much imo.

n8
10-14-2009, 07:20 AM
I just always wished he would of got up with the times and ditched the old crappy small framed heavy Pro Staff. He may have won a RG title. Too bad.

Now that's an interesting point. I always thought Sampras could have benefited from a newer frame.

Just a quick thanks to the poster, I am finding this thread interesting.

It makes sense that one-handed backhand players are better volliers. They would develop more control and strength in that one arm so their slices (and slice approach) and backhand vollies (both very important shots for volliers) would be superior in general.

Action Jackson
10-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Suited? I reject that characterization. Your boxing a genius into a single mode of play. It was consciously fashioned in such a way - against his natural instincts. Without Fischer's intervention a whole different style could have taken shape which accomodated the double handed backhand.

I'm not just saying the same playing style, but with a double hander. I'm saying a root and branch reconstruction.

You really don't get it. Sampras's autobiography said it as much. How could he have become one of the premier serve/volleyers on very fast low bouncing surfaces with a 2 hand backhand?

Sampras wanted to play more attack minded tennis like his hero Laver and the older Aussies he admired, that was not happening with the game he had in the early teen years.

Edberg used to have a double handed backhand and that was changed to a single hander to suit a more attack minded game, the same guy was the one who told Borg to keep his 2 hander.

No, you are kidding yourself that Sampras would have been better with a 2 hander.

leng jai
10-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Well if he had stayed with the double hander it would have helped him in his H2H with Nadull.

oz_boz
10-14-2009, 07:56 AM
The game has changed a lot since Sampras' days with racket technology and equalisation of court conditions, hence more baseliner dominated, hence tilting to 2-handers being the natural choice. Had there been ultra-fast conditions like 80-90s in more events today, the majority of top plyers wouldn't have used 2h bh - like AJ mentioned, most top players of 80-90s had 1-handers and there is a reason for that.

n8
10-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Well if he had stayed with the double hander it would have helped him in his H2H with Nadull.

LOL! :haha:

Timariot
10-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Todd Martin had somewhat Sampras-like game with 2-handed backhand. He was reputed to be fairly good returner but...well, compare the results. I remember an article from TENNIS magazine late '90s, where they bemoaned how American juniors emulated Agassi and his 2h-backhand, when they should have emulated Sampras.

Timariot
10-14-2009, 09:50 AM
The game has changed a lot since Sampras' days with racket technology and equalisation of court conditions, hence more baseliner dominated, hence tilting to 2-handers being the natural choice.

Careful, there. See Kuerten backhand... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwUvcJBqKBo

And who says 2h backhand can't be beautiful? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgScOlDlZWY&feature=related

Echoes
10-14-2009, 10:35 AM
If I had to name a S&Ver with 2-handed backhand I would also directly think of Todd Martin.

Maybe Bj÷rkman as well.