Nadal and Roddick on Season length... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal and Roddick on Season length...

yonexforever
10-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Interesting that they are both belly aching about the length of the season, but Nadal announces he will start the year in Doha with an exhibition with ROger.
Hmmmm... so the season is too long, but you want to start it with a cash grab????

Matt01
10-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Interesting that they are both belly aching about the length of the season, but Nadal announces he will start the year in Doha with an exhibition with ROger.
Hmmmm... so the season is too long, but you want to start it with a cash grab????

Admit it, you wouldn't say "NO" to easy money, either :p

Certinfy
10-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Well they are getting paid :o

yonexforever
10-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Admit it, you wouldn't say "NO" to easy money, either :p

NO, but im not complaining about my knees, or my abs, or the length of the ATP season!

thrust
10-13-2009, 05:00 PM
NO, but im not complaining about my knees, or my abs, or the length of the ATP season!

An exhibition against Roger is not nearly the same as tournaments played too close together. Top players should just play less and pay the fines and not worry too much about the rankings, if it avoids serious injuries.

born_on_clay
10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
For money
Rafa you fool...

Mats68
10-13-2009, 05:33 PM

That's right, stop complaining if you're playing ridiculous exhos just days before GS events (Nadal played a private exhibition in Switzerland for $ 1M, after Madrid and before RG, while his knees were injured), and stop playing Rotterdam, Barcelona or Beijing, otherwise shut up

mayagaller
10-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Funny how Djokovic has played more than any of the complaining guys and he's still going strong!

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
10-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Funny how Djokovic has played more than any of the complaining guys and he's still going strong!

especially true considering how many slam finals jokes made in 09.......oh wait

mayagaller
10-13-2009, 06:15 PM
especially true considering how many slam finals jokes made in 09.......oh wait

I'm talking in terms of matches played overall.

Djokovic is at: 80

Nadal: 66

Roddick: 62

Numbers only, that is all.

Jimnik
10-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes, all the 5-set marathons Djokovic had to play this year. How does he do it! :rolleyes:

Okonsky
10-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Spoilt boys, all of them. Novak 'cried' too, Roger...

Do they > Messi, Kaka, Del Piero, Vidic, NBA, NFL, etc players complain?

fsoica
10-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Nadal played a private exhibition in Switzerland for $ 1M, after Madrid and before RG, while his knees were injured

What exhibition are you talking about ?

scarecrows
10-13-2009, 07:01 PM
probably referring to the exho in Paris where he played Mathieu and 1 other match :scratch:

nobama
10-13-2009, 07:04 PM
What is Roddick & Nadal's solution to this problem?

Echoes
10-13-2009, 07:33 PM
What is Roddick & Nadal's solution to this problem?

Only caring for the Slams.

True champions ! :(

DJ Soup
10-13-2009, 08:57 PM

NBA does dude. It doesn't trascend though.

Football has nothing to say

BIGMARAT
10-13-2009, 09:14 PM
For Nadal, Start to train for some attacking game and stop moonballing and you won't be this tired at the 4th quarter of the season.

As for Rodduck, Just dont play as you are no bearing anymore anyways.

Sapeod
10-13-2009, 09:19 PM
murray's played more matches than them and he isn't complaining.

Mats68
10-13-2009, 09:46 PM

Indeed. He's just out injured...

Roddickominator
10-13-2009, 09:46 PM

Roddick and Nadal have been doing it for years and know what it does to their body over time....Murray hasn't yet. And he's injured anyway....kind of speaks to Roddick/Nadal's point.

Sapeod
10-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Indeed. He's just out injured...
if he wasn't injured he'd be playing even more matches than them and he still wouldn't complain.

Sapeod
10-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Roddick and Nadal have been doing it for years and know what it does to their body over time....Murray hasn't yet. And he's injured anyway....kind of speaks to Roddick/Nadal's point.
I just don't see why they are moaning. Don't play so many fucking tournaments then. Simple.

Mats68
10-13-2009, 09:50 PM
What exhibition are you talking about ?

After his Madrid loss he went to Switzerland to play a private exhibition with the sons of a Russian billionaire, for $1M, while supposedly trying to recover from his injured knees. Uncle Toni disapproved but couldnt't do anything about it. True story, a Spanish player told me.

KolyaLegend
10-13-2009, 10:01 PM
I just don't see why they are moaning. Don't play so many fucking tournaments then. Simple.

Er...you know, there are mandatory tournaments and that stuff

Sapeod
10-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Er...you know, there are mandatory tournaments and that stuff
Yes, i know that! Grand slams and masters events. Others are not mandatory though, and they are the ones who decide to play them...

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
10-13-2009, 10:33 PM
i just wanna put this out there

all players don't play the same way [this statement was funded by the captain obvious school of thought]

a game for a player like Nadal is the equivalent for about 5 games for someone like karlovic

Nadal's style means each game takes out more from him than anyone else... you can't simply say he hasn't played as many matches because he does work harder than anyone else out there

KolyaLegend
10-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Yes, i know that! Grand slams and masters events. Others are not mandatory though, and they are the ones who decide to play them...

Plus 4 500, WTF (if top 8) and Davis Cup(in Nadal's case for instance, just more matches for players comitted with their country)

Sapeod
10-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Plus 4 500, WTF (if top 8) and Davis Cup(in Nadal's case for instance, just more matches for players comitted with their country)
They can withdraw from those apart from WTF. 4 500 events is the max no. of 500 events points that go into their ranking, not what the need to play...

they are moaning about something that is fine, they just don't like it and think it should be changed. I guess that's gonna be Nadal's excuse for injuries from now on (the schedule is horrid, it injured me), or maybe they are just little whiny babies...

Sunset of Age
10-13-2009, 11:31 PM

Players can withdraw from those without any penalty. Davis Cup? idem dito.

All it comes down to is a proper handling of one's schedule. In some cases, that might mean: No Dubai, No Rotterdam, No Barcelona, No Bejing.
Just an idea... :shrug:

Cloudygirl
10-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Players can withdraw from those without any penalty. Davis Cup? idem dito.

All it comes down to is a proper handling of one's schedule. In some cases, that might mean: No Dubai, No Rotterdam, No Barcelona, No Bejing.
Just an idea... :shrug:

Agreed. They only have to play 18 tournaments don't they. The slams, the MS if they qualify and 4 500s. He doesn't have to play exos, he chooses to, and he doesn't have to play Davis Cup.

It really pisses me off actually. Organise your season properly instead Federer has managed to do it successfully for years.

And Duckboy can shut up he missed part of the clay court season this year. Why did he play Doha, San Jose and Davis Cup if his season is too long.

The lower ranked players need the longer season to make money and those tournaments need some of the big names to get the money coming in.

Andi-M
10-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Rafa and Andy, there are worst jobs trust me. You can pull out sick whenever you want rest unlike the rest of us.

moon language
10-14-2009, 12:02 AM

NBA and NFL have lengthy offseasons. That is the whole point. They don't complain because they actually have offseasons.

Sunset of Age
10-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Agreed. They only have to play 18 tournaments don't they. The slams, the MS if they qualify and 4 500s. He doesn't have to play exos, he chooses to, and he doesn't have to play Davis Cup.

It really pisses me off actually. Organise your season properly instead Federer has managed to do it successfully for years.

And Duckboy can shut up he missed part of the clay court season this year. Why did he play Doha, San Jose and Davis Cup if his season is too long.

Yeah, it pisses me off, too. It's all a case of 'stop (over)playing before it stops you!' And besides that, I see that Rafa is planning to start off his 2010 season by playing the 'Abu Dhabi Cash Cow Invitational' (thanks Mikey :lol:) again. Okay, there...
I can't help but think that there's not just a lot of points whoring going on, but quite a bit of cash whoring as well.

The lower ranked players need the longer season to make money and those tournaments need some of the big names to get the money coming in.

This is a very often overlooked fact! Indeed, the lower ranked players essentially need this long season to be able to make a living at all. It would be rather unfair to them to shorten the season and/or limit the # of tournaments to play to a maximum. Wish folks would realize that all the 'stars' of today once where players like that themselves.

Cloudygirl
10-14-2009, 12:13 AM
For example Feli has earned about $332,000 this year. Once you consider the expenses like paying a coach etc, that actually isn't that much money. I mean he would be ok because I bet he gets tons of endorsements but some of the less pretty lower ranked players wouldn't.

moon language
10-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Yeah, it pisses me off, too. It's all a case of 'stop (over)playing before it stops you!' And besides that, I see that Rafa is planning to start off his 2010 season by playing the 'Abu Dhabi Cash Cow Invitational' (thanks Mikey :lol:) again. Okay, there...
I can't help but think that there's not just a lot of points whoring going on, but quite a bit of cash whoring as well.

I'm assuming these guys rationalize the exhos as well-paid practice sessions, but Nadal's timing couldn't have been worse. On the same day I see news of him committing to Abu Dhabi comes an article about him complaining about season length, it's ridiculous.

Sunset of Age
10-14-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm assuming these guys rationalize the exhos as well-paid practice sessions, but Nadal's timing couldn't have been worse. On the same day I see news of him committing to Abu Dhabi comes an article about him complaining about season length, it's ridiculous.

Just for the record, it isn't merely Nadal who does this kind of things, I well remember Fed complaining about back troubles (and referring to a tough schedule) while playing exhos with Sampras just the same. Okay, I know exhos are just a bit of funny nonsense, but I don't like it at all.
When they do, they should at least keep their traps shut about the 'gruelling season'. ;)

paseo
10-14-2009, 12:19 AM
For example Feli has earned about $332,000 this year. Once you consider the expenses like paying a coach etc, that actually isn't that much money. I mean he would be ok because I bet he gets tons of endorsements but some of the less pretty lower ranked players wouldn't.

:D

How much is the fine for skipping a mandatory MS 1000 or a GS? Is there a point penalty?

paseo
10-14-2009, 12:24 AM
After his Madrid loss he went to Switzerland to play a private exhibition with the sons of a Russian billionaire, for $1M, while supposedly trying to recover from his injured knees. Uncle Toni disapproved but couldnt't do anything about it. True story, a Spanish player told me.

Sons of a Russian billionaire? Well, Nadal should handle them without giving any strain to his body whatsoever, that's for sure.
Smart from Nadal. Easy money.

Cloudygirl
10-14-2009, 12:25 AM
From the ATP FAQ

Q. What if a player is injured and can't play in a Grand Slam or ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament?
A. If eligible to play in one of the Grand Slam or ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments, a player must count the points from these tournaments, even if it is 'a zero pointer' because he missed the event. Just as in Formula One and numerous other sports, if a competitor misses a race or an event, he loses his chances to earn points. Players with direct acceptance who do not play an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament will be suspended from a subsequent ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event which will be the next highest point earned ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event within the next 12 months. If an injured player is on-site within the first three days of a tournament to conduct promotional activities over a two day period, a suspension will not be enforced but a 0-pointer will be counted on a player's ranking.

Q. What are the requirements and rules for player participation for an ATP World Tour 500 tournament?
A. Top 30 players (based on '08 year-end ranking) must play a minimum of four 500 level tournaments during the calendar year, including at least one event following the US Open (Monte Carlo Masters 1000 event will count towards the minimum of four and all penalties apply):
-- A 0-pointer for each event less than four played.
-- A 0-pointer for withdrawing from any 500 tournament after the acceptance list is out.
-- A 0-pointer for not playing at least one event after the US Open.
-- A 0-pointer can be appealed by a player to the same tribunal formed to hear 1000 suspension appeals.
-- No suspensions or fines (including no withdrawal and late withdrawal fines).

paseo
10-14-2009, 02:11 AM
So, Fed and Murray should be suspended from playing Paris because they missed Shanghai, right? They didn't do any promotional activities for shanghai.

Castafiore
10-14-2009, 08:27 AM
These exhos are nothing but VERY WELL paid training sessions. They can't be compared with a regular tournament when talking about the intensity, the strain, the pressure and how it all fits into the schedule.
The main reason for taking them is because they get a lot of cash for it. What's wrong with earning a lot of money, by the way? If you're going to train, you might as well get paid for it nicely. If the exho gets in the way of the training/playing schedule, than it's a problem. Otherwise, it's not a big deal.

I don't understand why some of you keep yammering about them is if they matter all that much: they're not the real issue.
You can say a lot about the schedule problems and what the schedule of certain players should look like for instance if he would follow the advice of MTF sages but when players complain about the busy schedule, those exhos are not part of the problem.

I don't know what Spanish players whisper to you in your dreams but it's not a true story. That was a rumor that was quickly debunked. Nadal even had an "alibi" because he was seen far away from Switzerland when this was supposed to happen.

RickDaStick
10-17-2009, 01:24 AM
The funny thing with Roddick complaining about the schedule is that a few years ago he was pushing for tournaments in the winter as well :eek:

star
10-17-2009, 01:27 AM
These are two of my favorites, but I hate it when tennis players belly ache about the length of the season and then play exhibitions all through December. I don't mind them playing early to prepare for the AO, but I'd prefer that they play one of the Australian tournaments.

Of course, both Rafa and Andy have played DC finals and that has lengthened the season for them some years.

Sapeod
10-17-2009, 03:46 AM
The funny thing with Roddick complaining about the schedule is that a few years ago he was pushing for tournaments in the winter as well :eek:
In other words, he's contradicting himself?? Oh Andy, just keep your trap shut, will you :o

Matt01
10-17-2009, 10:54 AM

Probabaly he wants to play some more US hardcourt tournaments at that time :p

nobama
11-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Djokovic joins in the complaining:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4629716
Djokovic calls for 'crucial' meetings
BASEL, Switzerland -- Novak Djokovic has called for "crucial" meetings to address the heavy playing schedule faced by top tennis players.

The third-ranked Serb said Friday that more players were getting injured because of the demands of a long season.

Djokovic said players should have up to two months' rest before preparing for the Australian Open in January.

He spoke at the Swiss Indoors tournament. U.S. Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro pulled out of the tournament because of a wrist injured.

Leading players and ATP tour officials will gather at the Paris Masters next week. The season-ending finals in London starts on Nov. 22.
Not sure how they solve for this other than:

getting rid of tournaments (fat chance; look what happen when they downgraded Hamburg :o )
having at least 3 tournaments every week (how does that work for TV)
Getting rid of off weeks between tournaments (will there be fewer player injuries if they're playing 3 or 4 weeks in a row?)

tennisfox
11-07-2009, 02:29 PM
The season is too long but forgive me if I don't think that all these top players will be resting during the off season. I think they will be playing exhibition tournaments. I think the ATP should shorten the season but with the stipulation they can't play exhibitions.

There are over 1500 pro's I doubt the vast majority of them want a shorter season considering most of them are barely eking out a living. All this talk about shortening the season I haven't yet heard what the multi-millionaire moaners are prepared to give up. Are they willing to take a cut in appearance fees for instance? So that the prize fund can be increased so that the guys at the bottom can earn more for getting knocked out in the first round?

RafitoGoat
11-07-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't think the Calendar should change, but there should never be fines/penalties for not playing events. The player should have full power over their schedule, in which case it will be entirely up to the player to choose between ranking and health.

Bobby
11-08-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't think the Calendar should change, but there should never be fines/penalties for not playing events. The player should have full power over their schedule, in which case it will be entirely up to the player to choose between ranking and health.

Well that wouldn't work. If the players would have full power to choose their calendar, the top players would choose to play the GS's and a few 1000 events. The lower tier tournaments would struggle to have any big names at all. Consequently they would also have hard time in attracting any big sponsors and spectators. They would make losses and wouldn't run the tournaments at all. As we all know, lower ranked players need these smaller tournaments.

star
11-08-2009, 08:24 PM

They've tried a bunch of things in tennis to try to make the schedule fair for both players and tournament directors/sponsors.

Start da Game
11-09-2009, 06:55 AM
shut the fuck up, rafa and rod.......

Action Jackson
11-09-2009, 06:57 AM
Same shit they have been saying since the 70s.

Then again apartheid and the Berlin Wall managed to fall.