Pioline: Murray is feeling the pressure [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Pioline: Murray is feeling the pressure

MRUK
10-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi guys

Got an interview with former Wimbledon runner-up Cedric Pioline. He reckons Murray is feeling the pressure at Slams now - so it is a mental issue in his opinion, not a tennis issue which saw him lose to Cilic.

if you fancy a read...nice stuff on Tsonga too, saying Simon doesn't have the same weapons to win a Slam

Byrd
10-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Link please....

rubbERR
10-13-2009, 01:24 PM
stating the obvious, genius

Action Jackson
10-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Link please....

Check his signature.

sanshisan
10-13-2009, 01:25 PM
The English media are so desperate for a British #1 or at the very least gimme ONE GS, that they WAAAAAY over-hyped Murray (`the REAL #1'). :rolleyes:

the graduate
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Murray at some point in his career will win a slam,its not over he is young and he will get his chance in future.

Start da Game
10-13-2009, 03:23 PM
in a way i feel for murray........the kind of hype his nation builds before every slam and puts pressure on him, it could also be very demoralizing to have before you a player with already 15 slams in the bag and another player who is almost of his age and already has 6 slams.......even if you do one thing wrong and lose a set, you are criticized right away......besides all this pressure, he also has to cope with rising players like him in the form of delpotro, cilic, tsonga........

to win this year's us open, what he needed to do was, beat cilic, then delpotro, then nadal and then federer........can it get any tougher than that?

these new young guns have tough task at their hand, if they are to win slams........they have to overcome 2 legends in the game and also their peers.......

GuiroNl
10-13-2009, 03:39 PM
to win this year's us open, what he needed to do was, beat cilic, then delpotro, then nadal and then federer........can it get any tougher than that?

The guys he had to beat are irrelevant as he didn't even beat the first guy on your list.

Start da Game
10-13-2009, 03:45 PM
of course you are right but the probable scenario itself was daunting when you bear in mind the pressure and hype he carries........anyway, it's all about dealing with pressure to win slams and murray has to face it and overcome it.......no other way.......he will eventually win a slam, too talented not to........

pica_pica
10-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Of course he's feeling the pressure :hug: It's tough when everybody expects you to do well and break some record. Even the coolest ones feel the burden of expectation :shrug:

I don't expect Andy Murray to be any GOAT. I'll say it's a big achievement if he can win one GS, with the stupid British hype going round and round :rolleyes: Now his closest-aged peers Nole and JMDP both have a slam and he just got beaten by a younger Marin, it'd be a lie to say he does not feel stressed. I foresee a dip of performance in the coming 6 months for Murray, but he should be mature enough to figure it out later.

rocketassist
10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
The English media are so desperate for a British #1 or at the very least gimme ONE GS, that they WAAAAAY over-hyped Murray (`the REAL #1'). :rolleyes:

Same old slagging of your forefathers by misguided Americans. The media only cares for two weeks of the year. Murray def Nadal in 2008 US Open was overshadowed by England's win over Andorra, yes ANDORRA! in the Monday papers :lol:

rocketassist
10-13-2009, 05:33 PM
The guys he had to beat are irrelevant as he didn't even beat the first guy on your list.

Because he was injured.

Amber Spyglass
10-13-2009, 06:04 PM
I think people are really overplaying the whole US Open loss as some big mental collapse.He had an injury and even if the injury itself wasn't that bad,he certainly seemed distracted by it.He looked completely disinterested in the match from start to finish.

Clydey
10-13-2009, 11:12 PM
I think people are really overplaying the whole US Open loss as some big mental collapse.He had an injury and even if the injury itself wasn't that bad,he certainly seemed distracted by it.He looked completely disinterested in the match from start to finish.

People would rather believe that Murray was fully fit and got spanked in straight sets by Marin Cilic. This is more plausible to them. Murray pulling out of Tokyo an Shanghai is just a smokescreen.

Andi-M
10-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Murray :hug:

leng jai
10-14-2009, 12:55 AM
People would rather believe that Murray was fully fit and got spanked in straight sets by Marin Cilic. This is more plausible to them. Murray pulling out of Tokyo an Shanghai is just a smokescreen.

Hasi's shoulder reconstructions were also smokescreens.

Corey Feldman
10-14-2009, 02:03 AM
STFU Pioline, he still had a season better than any season you ever had.

crude oil
10-14-2009, 02:58 AM
funny stuff coming from pioline. he showed some real balz against sampras in the wimbledon final. LOL

Arkulari
10-14-2009, 05:27 AM
He's not the most stable player in Slams, this year proved it, in MS event he's very good but somehow the best of five format doesn't suit him :shrug:

Maybe next year he can get his ass in gear, but the expectations were high and he didn't really deliver :shrug:

FedFan_2007
10-14-2009, 05:57 AM
Cilic's attacking tennis defeated Murray's passive bullshit tennis.

Sapeod
10-14-2009, 06:04 AM
Very relative to this thread.

Turquoise
10-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Most of the criticisms about Murray's tepid grand slam performances are valid. The results are what they are. Not what he wants to hear, but what he needs to hear. Given his true abilities and potential, we expect better from him just as he expects more of himself. I look forward to seeing him step up to the plate next year.

rocketassist
10-14-2009, 12:12 PM

Cilic played about 20x better all last week. :lol:

Clydey
10-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Agassi believes next year will define Murray's career, one way or the other.

This is going to be a crucial time in his career and I predict the next year will determine his career one way or another. He has one big opportunity in front of him. He has a lot of reasons, motivations and skills that can get help him to accomplish a great deal, but he has to be willing to push to get over the next hump.

Do I think he can do it? Absolutely. Do I expect him to do it? I really do. When I look at his game compared to the other players, he has what it takes to win and to win against anybody on any surface.

Nadal has the advantage on the clay if he is healthy. But Murray, I don't favour anybody over him on any surface at any time if he brings to the table all he can.

I think that in the beginning he had an attitude that worked against him. It was a fire, it was a spirit, you could tell that was a crucial wiring to the way he played.

Whether it was good or bad, it was significant in his game and in his matches and most of the time it hurt him.

But very recently you have seen him use this to his advantage. You have seen him become a phenomenal competitor and you have watched him use that anger and negativity to push himself.

He has used it in a positive way over a long period of time. He just has another hill to climb here.

Whenever he expects a lot from himself it really wrestles with your weakness the most and now he is starting to expect himself to win and it has put himself in a simple position - either I am going to step up to the plate and I am going to accept this responsibility and continually push myself, or it's going to work against him and get the better of him.

It is a very fine line, it is like a razor's edge you live on as a professional athlete, especially a professional athlete who has no-one else to pass the ball to - you are out there by yourself.

This Agassi knows his stuff. :D

freeandlonely
10-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Murray at some point in his career will win a slam,its not over he is young and he will get his chance in future.

But I believe he is feeling the pressure.
And the fact that Djokovic/Del Potro both won slam at 20 can only make it heavier.