Poll: Why is it easier for some players to reach peak form faster than others? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Poll: Why is it easier for some players to reach peak form faster than others?

10-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Federer for example is able to skip like all the tournaments for the rest of this year and probably make the AO final next year after only like 1 warm up tournament, where as Nadal misses Wimbledon and a couple other tournaments and it's still taking him ages and ages to get his form back. According to Clay Death hes going to take a gazzilion matches to get back to normal.

Yet Federer is the more talanted and actually has to hit WINNERS, which one would think requires more match fitness than just lobbing the ball back into play.

Is it because Federer is just more talented?
Or is it because he is an old man now? And has that old man all serve Sampras kind of experience factor?
Or is it something more different?

I dont think one player being betterer than the other nescasarily explains it either, there are other comparisons that could be made. Some players seem to perform equally well after long lay offs as they do when they are constantly playing, say minus a couple of top 2 inches.

And some players like Nadal need 6 months of matches to reach their best again. Sure Shankerer turns up every here or there but it doesnt seem to matter whether hes match fit or not.

Discuss.

fsoica
10-13-2009, 09:49 AM
it's always about Fed and Nad.
I'm sick of it.

Mats68
10-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Federer for example is able to skip like all the tournaments for the rest of this year and probably make the AO final next year after only like 1 warm up tournament, where as Nadal misses Wimbledon and a couple other tournaments and it's still taking him ages and ages to get his form back. According to Clay Death hes going to take a gazzilion matches to get back to normal.

And some players like Nadal need 6 months of matches to reach their best again.

Burrow
10-13-2009, 04:12 PM

And some players like Nadal need 6 months of matches to reach their best again.

Or maybe this is far from Nadal's favourite part of the season?

Mats68
10-13-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't agree with what I just quoted above.

True, Federer has more talent and doesn't need as much rythm as Nadal does for his game to click. However, when Nadal is healthy he wins straight away: he won the AO after just one warm up event, following a long break. Remember when he came back from an injury in 2006 and in his second tournament he beat Federer in Dubai. If he's healthy he gets back to normal after 4-5 matches. This year it's different, he tore his ab muscle and couldn't play normally in Cincinnati and USO. Now he seems fine, losing to Cilic last week wasn't such a shock in my opinion, it's just like in other years at this time of the season he lost to Berdych, Simon, Davydenko, Nalbandian, etc. On a good day those players can beat him in hard courts/indoors, this doesn't mean there's something wrong with Nadal. However, GS are a different story: he won't lose to those guys in AO if he's healthy.

Mats68
10-13-2009, 04:23 PM
fully agree, these losses don't mean much for Nadal at this time of the season. They would mean something if they happened at AO, IW, Miami, MC or Rome

born_on_clay
10-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Because he has more talent :)

Johnny Groove
10-13-2009, 05:14 PM
When Fed skips tournaments, he does it just to rest and recover.

When Nadal has to skip a tournament, you know he's doing it because of an injury.

When was the last time Fed missed two months from the tour including a slam?

If Fed had to recover from an injury as severe as that, I'd imagine it would take him some time before he returns to form as well.

phelbyn
10-13-2009, 05:39 PM
it's always about Fed and Nad.
I'm sick of it.

Find a different sport.

phelbyn
10-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Regardless of timing, this is what I think:

Nadal has discovered his talents at a slightly younger age than Federer.

Federer plays a type of match that isn't as hard on his body. His career could last another 3-4 years at the top of the game.

Nadal had such early success and has such a hard-core and give-all game that his body is already falling apart.... something that was predicted 2 or 3 years ago.

I think they are both vital to the game. But I honestly think that in two years time Nadal's career could be over due to injuries, and Federer could still be playing strong, but just less often due to other important life factors.

Nadal needs to WIN 10 more grand slams to surpass Federer's total... does Nadal's body even have 10 more grand slams in it... regardless of winning them all?

:confused:

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
10-13-2009, 07:54 PM
its simple

Federer is the SMARTEST PLAYER ON TOUR

everyone else tire themselves to death and cannot compete for an entire season

Fed takes breaks (fakes an injury) and therefore has 22 consequtive semis at the slams

i think Nadal is 100 times the athelete fed is, but Nadal is the worst planner on the planet, he is usually DEAD at this time of season

everyone says NAdal cant play on fast HArd courts

thats bullshit

Nadal beat Fed at dubai (very fast) in 2006- the year fed was the true GOAT

the only reason nadal sucks at this time of year is because he is worn out

Art&Soul
10-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Because RogiGOAT has much more talent, simple at that :worship:

Sapeod
10-14-2009, 04:34 AM
I would say Murray is the same. He doesn't need too long before he gets back to his best, or at least near it.

It's just some players find their groove faster than others. That's how I see it anyway.

Action Jackson
10-14-2009, 04:37 AM
Why does some food take longer to cook than others?

Sapeod
10-14-2009, 04:42 AM
Why does some food take longer to cook than others?
Because they are frozen foods, like the ones you get at Iceland?

Action Jackson
10-14-2009, 04:43 AM
Because they are frozen foods, like the ones you get at Iceland?

That's not it.

Sapeod
10-14-2009, 04:43 AM
damn!

Action Jackson
10-14-2009, 04:46 AM
Well your answer was not incorrect, but think about the food thing and you will get it.

Sapeod
10-14-2009, 04:48 AM
the oven is broken?

Action Jackson
10-14-2009, 05:05 AM
Not all foods need the same time to be in peak condition, aka not all players develop at the same speed. Different ingredients needs time to come together.

Sapeod
10-14-2009, 05:08 AM
I knew that.

10-14-2009, 10:19 AM
its simple
i think Nadal is 100 times the athelete fed is, but Nadal is the worst planner on the planet, he is usually DEAD at this time of season

the only reason nadal sucks at this time of year is because he is worn out

In an Atypical year yes, winning Wimbledon with heaps of 5 setters, Winning the Olympics, Winning Queens etc.

Nadal has done Jack all for 5 months! He's only played a few tourneys where hes been bundled out in the 3rd round most often, and a US open where he has rain delays Galore and a very quick Semi Final.

Most of the ATP journeymen playing in Shanghai etc have been playing non stop since.

Most of us putting in 40 hour weeks would be tireder than Nadal.

Burn out does not explain why Nadal can't get his shit together, losing to sillyic and taking sets to beat everyone.

Either he sucks on hardcourt worse than we thought or he has some serious issues.